An Economical, Long-Term Plan For The Offensive Line

Posted by Mike Wobschall on March 13, 2012 – 6:06 am

Accustomed to watching a top tier running game since 2007 and tired of watching their brand-new franchise QB run for his life, Vikings fans are anxious to see the team make moves to improve the offensive line. But even with USC LT Matt Kalil expected to be the Vikings 1st-round pick next month, Vikings fans want more.

And it’s understandable. Christian Ponder was sacked 30 times in just 11 games, plus the Vikings released RG Anthony Herrera and LG Steve Hutchinson this past weekend, opening up a pair of vacancies in the starting lineup.

As a result, Ben Grubbs and Carl Nicks – a pair of OGs who have 3 Pro Bowls and 2 All-Pro selections between them – are in high demand among Vikings fans. Both are scheduled to become free agents at 3:00 p.m. CT today, and both play positions of need for the Vikings.

While both players would serve as upgrades at their position, don’t expect the Vikings to enter the bidding for their services. The Vikings do have a considerable amount of salary cap space, but signing Nicks would eat much of it up and the Vikings have more than just one player on their wish list; Grubbs will likely command an expensive salary as well. With other needs on the roster, the Vikings would be better-served, in my view, to use their free agency money on other positions, such as CB or WR.

A big part of my opinion on the matter is the plan I’d like to see the Vikings put into place this offseason to improve the offensive line. No, there may not be high-priced and Pro Bowl-caliber free agent signings on the horizon, but I still foresee the Vikings solving their offensive line woes. And I see them solving it by going young. Hear me out…

– Take Kalil in the 1st round, which will provide a starting LT and yield a replacement for Hutchinson at LG with Charlie Johnson sliding over. He will play better and will feel more comfortable at LG.
— John Sullivan has emerged as a Top 5-7 center in the NFL according to those who know more about it than me, and the Vikings locked him up to a contract extension last season. He becomes the leader of this young group, especially with Hutchinson no longer in the picture.
— At RG the Vikings can lean on veteran Joe Berger and 2nd-year player Brandon Fusco. I’ve heard nothing but rave reviews from coaches and players about Fusco’s progress last year and his prospects for the future.
— To round out the line, Loadholt will be back as the starting RT. He had a down year in 2011 and he’ll be the first to acknowledge that. But 2012 is a contract year for him, he’s been around Winter Park for much of the offseason, and OL coach Jeff Davidson is determined to help him improve. I like that situation.
— Lastly, other youngsters such as Chris DeGeare and Pat Brown can compete for playing time along the line should one of the proposed 5 starters falter or suffer an injury.

Are there questions here? Certainly. And there’s no guarantee my proposed solution will work. But for this Vikings team, coming off a 3-13 record with several holes to fill in the starting lineup – particularly the wide receiver position to help Ponder – I believe a young and affordable offensive line with some upside is a better group than a veteran, expensive collection of veterans who are being paid more for past production than they are for expectation.

Nicks and Grubbs are names most fans recognize, and I understand why Vikings fans demand the team pursue them. But you can’t have All-Pros at every position, or at least you can’t sign All-Pros in free agency at every position. I have confidence in the plan I laid out above, and more importantly I have confidence in the young players on the roster and the experience and tutelage Davidson can bring to the meeting room.

What do you say, Vikings fans? Are you okay with the team going young on the offensive line so they can pursue more talented players at other important positions? Let us know what you think by leaving your thoughts in the comments section below this entry.

Tags: , , , , , , ,
Posted in All | 245 Comments »

245 Responses to “An Economical, Long-Term Plan For The Offensive Line”

1. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Mike W…Love the idea of the Vikings keeping with youth along the O-line…There is one more second year O-lineman left you didn’t mention though…D Love is a guy I believe is also going to be a dominant guard for the Vikings…Why isn’t there ever any news on Love and his developement ??…There always seems to be news about Fusco…But nothing how Love is coming along ???

2. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Very happy to hear that Loadholt is going the extra mile in the off season with the coaching staff to get better !!…

3. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Today is the big day…Phone start ringing at 3:00 pm today…Owners start warming up personal jets at 2:45 at the airports…: )

I look for the Vikings to go after just one big name free agent…My personal choices would be M Colston or B Carr…Those 2 players will get around a 40 million dollar 5 yr contract…And are good players worth that kind of contract…

If the Vikings and Spielman are planning to take Kalil in the draft…I would push the hardest for Colston…With both of those 2 players as additions on the offensive side of the ball…Almost the rest of the spring draft could be used for the defense…Especially getting youth for the secondary and LB core…Throw in a DT also in that group…; )

4. By Richard on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Mike,sounds like a reasonable plan to me,although now that the Texans have released Eric Winston I think they should at least test the water as Loadholt doesn’t give me a lot of confidence.In a discussion with fans a couple of weeks ago I put the view that we should build offence this year and defence next year.Having said that,i do agree with your piece in the Monday Mailbag that in the draft taking the best player on the boards is a good way to build,although concentrating on offence allows them to gel together in 2012 and then put together the defence in 2013 thereby setting us up for the future.

5. By vikemike on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

That seems like a good way to fix the o-line and hope to draft the Brandon Washington from Miami as depth at G. I would really like to see them spend money on 2nd tier free agents. Sign Meachem, Tracy Porter, Dwan Landry and Dan Connor and I would be thrilled

6. By Mike B. on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I am not sure that Charlie Johnson is that good. He was terrible at LT last year. I am not sure why he is even on the team. Loadholt has not been consistent his entire time as a Viking. Why would the fans feel any better about his postion? You maybe painting flowers on turds Wobby. I do agree you can’t fill all your missnig parts with expensive FAs. There just isn’t enough cap room. I think the OL is a two year project. I am willing to give this a go and hopefully we address the OL again next year.

7. By Mike B. on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I have not heard any reports that the Vikings are looking at any of the top tier WR FAs. I am wondering why we are not hearing any “buzz” on the team going after these guys. Also no word on the Vikings really going after any particular player in FA. It does appear as I had thought before the FAs we have are on their way out with one exception, Sage.

8. By Mike B. on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Why have we not cut Remi Ayodele? He is do a 750K bonus on Thursday. This guy isn’t worth it. Get rid of him.

9. By Mike B. on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

OTKalil Isn’t D Love our backup center? That’s kind of like the #2 QB they don’t see much playing time except with the starter is out.

10. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Mike W –

First off, it’s “hear me out.” Not here.

Second, what the heck you doing up at 6:00am?

Third, if Johnson can make the switch to LG and feel more comfortable about it, why can’t Loadholt make the switch to RG? He’s just not fast enough to stop the outside rush. The man is a beast, and if you eliminate that defensive opportunity, he will pulverize the man lining up across from him at the RG position.

11. By Carl K on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Yes to Kilil LT
    Yes to C Johnson LG
    Yes to Sully C
    Yes to Fusco RG
    I don’t know to Loadholt – Pat Brown, D Love be ready! I would also be ready to draft an OT late in the draft… Matt McCants, Andrew Datko or Nate Potter.

12. By 61Vikings on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

It’s been said that the Bears are going to make a push for Mario Williams!!! WOW!!! Peppers on one side and Williams on the other!! QB’s in our division will be running for there lives!! Let’s hope this doesn’t happen!!

13. By Mike B. on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

@Carl K That’s not a bad idea. I still not sold on C Johnson.

14. By Mike B. on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

@61Vikings It is also reported they are going after VJack either will eat up a bunch of cap space. I don’t think they will get both.

15. By 61Vikings on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I think we have to make some what of a splash in Free Agency, by signing 1 of these 3 players, OG/Carl Nicks or OG/Ben Grubbs, WR/Vincent Jackson or CB/Brandon Carr!! Please don’t sit on your hands, Rick Spielman!!

16. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

No…..D Love is supposed to be a back up guard/tackle along the O-line…Fusco and Berger are supposed to be backing up Sully…

Second tier free agents…I like P Garcon,L Robison, and L Landry they would look good in purple also….: )

17. By Lance on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I agree with some of this. I like Mike B wrote I don’t have much faith in Charlie Johnson. I don’t mind keeping him around to compete tho to be honest. He would be a solid back up or if he can proove his worth and fight for that starting position and proove us wrong. Loadholt has been “iffy” but he has his moments and games were I am impressed. If he wasn’t so penalized all time for all kinds of penalties I would have a little more faith in him. If the coaching staff feels they can help him with the penalties then I am all for Phil. :)

I still think maybe picking up that guy from texans at a reasamble price. To help stabilize the line because moving Charlie away from LT is going to help give strength to the line. He still is a weak link in my opinion at LG. I think just adding one more prooven man on that line will help solidfy the line. The WR’s we have now I don’t feel are as bad as we think. If we can give more time to ponder to make throws there will be more catches and yardage and of course TD’s by the WR’s we have now.

Help shore up our OL and Secondary in the FA is my opinion. If we are indeed in rebuilding mode. We won’t have all the peices this year anyways. Though with the FA class we have this year for CB may not be around for a long time.

If we need more help at WR i say next season is the season to address it. Right now I have more faith in Harvin, Rudolph and Jenkins then I do with out who is our secondary cook? if he returns and winfield if he stays healthy.

18. By DRS on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Vikings prepared to let more veterans leave with opening of free agency
    By Jeremy Fowler
    jfowler@pioneerpress.comtwincities.com
    Posted: 03/13/2012 12:01:00 AM CDT
    March 13, 2012 6:16 AM GMT Updated: 03/13/2012 01:16:51 AM CDT

Not expected back are wide receiver Greg Camarillo, cornerback Benny Sapp, safety Tyrell Johnson, linebacker Xavier Adibi, safety Jarrad Page, long snapper Matt Katula and offensive lineman Scott Kooistra.

19. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Mike B….Definately agree Remi Ayodele should be dropped…Come on Rick…Cut these guys loose…

20. By DRS on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Vikings stadium bill faces tough road; members of key House committee raise concerns

21. By DRS on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Vikings stadium bill trips over projections of gaming revenue

22. By Kyle on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I say that we try to get reciever in this free agency TODAY!!!!! Try to get Pierre Garcon, or mario manningham. And if we can’t get any WR i say go after Nicks from the saints, or Larron Landry from the skins. they just said Tyrell is going to be released and we have no safetys. I think he would be a good pick up for us. But please vikings, DO SOMETHING THIS FREE AGENCY!!!! Make more space in the cap cut loose ends. And in the draft
    1. Matt Kahlil
    2. either trade up for Dre Kirkpatrick or Mark Barron they would help our D so much and they might drop because of Kirkpatrick with possesion, and Barron because he didn’t work out. I say we take em

Go Vikes!!!

23. By DRS on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

The two ended every conversation by professing their love for one another, but Cook also pressed Baker about her allegations that he choked her twice

during their fight in his Eden Prairie town home.

“What are you talking about, strangulation?” he asked Baker.

“They asked me if you choked me and I said ‘Yes, he choked me,'” Baker replied between repeated apologies to Cook. “I’ve never had that happen to me before and I’m sorry. But do you know what you did to me? I have a busted eardrum and can’t hear out of my left ear.”

24. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

The deal with D Love is he had a little shoulder problem at the end of his college season…And during his rookie season this year..It sounds like his knees were swelling during the season giving him a little trouble…It sounded like found that problem also…And Love had a minor knee surgery done to clean up some bone chips in both knees…

Now the young man should be ready play some heavy duty football…But it seems like pulling teeth around winter park for any kind of reports on how Love is doing ??…Vikings got this guy in a steal around the 6th round in the draft…He was predicted tp go late second round or early 3rd…Maybe it was because of a few physical problems he was red flagged…But Love is a beast…Hoping he is ready to play football this fall…

25. By Mike B. on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

@OT thanks for clearing that up. Fusco was backing up Sully last year thanks.

26. By DRS on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Sorry this is how it should have posted,

during their fight in his Eden Prairie town home.

“What are you talking about, strangulation?” he asked Baker.

“They asked me if you choked me and I said ‘Yes, he choked me,’” Baker replied between repeated apologies to Cook. “I’ve never had that happen to me before and I’m sorry. But do you know what you did to me? I have a busted eardrum and can’t hear out of my left ear.”

27. By RichardA1 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Take Grubbs and Nicks, use that draft pick for the Defensive.

28. By Woodboat on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Good plan, Wobbs… except for Loadholt. He’s probably a great guy and I’m sure he is working hard to improve, as you say. He is just too darned slow… and fast isn’t something you can teach. Sure, you can teach him to read his opponent better and take the correct first step, but when the DE is already by him by step 3… there’s no fixing that. Move him to RG and pick up a RT in the 3rd… we can get a WR next year.

29. By Curveball on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

don’t forget about a kid named Jose Valdez he is huge and has worked out extremely hard this offseason. You will definately notice him during OTA’s and summer practices.

30. By DRS on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

31. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Mike W….Just love those little behind the scenes “tid bits” of information you can get your hands on…The report about Loadholt putting in extra hours with the offensive line coach at winter park this off season…That I think is big news to this fan…In a small way…: )

The fact that Loadholt is going into his contract year is also grabs a fans attenion…Keep those little “tid bits” coming Mike W…About all those young players on the O-line and the rest of the team…Fans are listening…: )

32. By DRS on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

The Saints should expect no less than a multi-million dollar fine. Peyton and any players participating in the scheme should expect a league suspension and Williams should be banned from the NFL. But that still would not fully address the wrongs committed by the Saints in 2009-2010, and probably earlier, nor would it put the league in the position it needs to be in when confronting its other lawsuits. To even approach this latter position, the league needs to send a far stronger message, one that deters not just players, a coordinator, and head coach from so acting, but one that makes clear that the consequences will be harsh. That means stripping the Saints of their next three first-round picks and of their Super Bowl championship. Anything less would contradict the league’s claim that it takes seriously player safety.

33. By Woodboat on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

DRS….

Thanks for the update. Recorded telephone message excerpt sounded pretty incriminating. He’s going to the hole.

Folks, even if he doesn’t get jug-time, he’s going to face the Commish. With the bad press he’s given the shield, expect a lengthy suspension if found not guilty.

34. By Daniel0227 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I personaly like Chilo Rachal. The guy is young and a good guard. He would come at a good price, and would let Johnson move to his origional spot at RG.
    Berger, is an ok “backup” not a starter. DeGeare and love and Fusco are still in the area of “backup”
    We have a Big problem at LG.
    We need a good vet there and Rachal looks like a great investment to me.

35. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I remember Valdez before he was drafted…And was very happy when the Vikings picked him up…He will be going into his 3rd year now this season I believe….Could turn out to be a very nice addition to the O-line…Especially in a back up role..

If the Vikings plan is to get Kalil in the draft…I feel good about the Vikings offensive after picking up Kalil…

Then the Vikes can go after all the other needs on the team in the draft and free agency…And they are plenty..

36. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

“I feel good about the Vikings offensive line after picking up Kalil”…

That is what I meant to say…

37. By DRS on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Apparently the genesis of this comes from the fact that the Redskins and Cowboys took big, front-loaded hits during the uncapped 2010 season that ordinarily would have been spread out over the length of a contract, which the NFL found to be a violation of the rules. This is apparently part of the reason it took the league so long to announce what the cap would be for this off-season. . .they were trying to figure out how to handle this situation.

So, while $1.6 million doesn’t sound like much, it adds to the cap space that the Vikings would have had without it, which is always nice. That should put your Minnesota Vikings somewhere in the neighborhood of $25 million under the salary cap, if I’m understanding things correctly.

There will probably be more on this as more comes out about it. I just saw it come across the wires and thought I’d put it out there

38. By DRS on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

In short, the Vikings have neglected the offensive line for far too long. It’s time to invest in it. Yes, you can succeed with a “functional” left tackle in the NFL, just like you can succeed with a “functional” quarterback (see Trent Dilfer and the 2000 Baltimore Ravens). But if an elite player at one of those positions is available, and the Vikes haven’t had an elite left tackle since Todd Steussie left town in 2000, you probably should snap him up.

Kalil, by all accounts, looks like an elite left tackle. If he’s still available when the Vikings are on the clock in April, Spielman better get his socks blown off with a trade offer if he decides to grab some extra draft picks and pass on Kalil.

39. By RichardA1 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Just a note* to get it off my chest..I hope they throw the book at New Orleans, the Vikes would of won that game if not for there ilegal tatics. Take away the Superbowl win, ban them for a year, major major fine. Thank You

40. By Mike B. on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

@DRS I don’t know about stripping the Superbowl from the Saints. You might as well tear the living guts from New Orleans. NO was in a bad way in 09 and to strip the SB win from the city would cause some damage. The coaches, players, and team owner sock it to them.

41. By DRS on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Anyways, as it stands now prosecution has rested its case, and defense will begin calling witnesses tomorrow- with whether or not Cook himself will testify still a bit up in the air. In fact, this whole case seems up in the air- as you can probably tell from above, neither defense nor prosecution has really presented anything solid, that can’t be turned against itself. Can’t imagine tomorrow will bring us anything less vague- but the good news is closing arguments and jury deliberation is expected to occur Wednesday, so hopefully by the end of this week, we’ll at least have a legal resolution to all this- and none too soon, as the Vikings need to know about Cook to really prepare for FA and the draft.

42. By Mike B. on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

At worse make them in eligible for playoff for the next two years and strip #1 picks for those two years.

43. By DRS on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Mike B. I do hope something will be done; the NFL needs to let the fans know that that type of cheating is unacceptable and them who do it will pay a hefty price.

44. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

That block buster trade between the Rams and Redskins doesn’t become official until the league approves the deal after 3 pm today..

Once that happens…I think Spielman and Frazier will be popping champagne corks behind closed doors !!!…Knowing they have one of the most elite LT’s ever graded by scouts coming out of the draft in Matt Kalil…And Kalil will be fixing the weakest position they have on their team !!!…

This pick is a no brain-er !!!….Don’t mess this up Rick !!!

Turn off your phone for a couple days and relax…A great deal of your problems disappear…As soon as that trade is final…: )

45. By Mike on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Demarcus love is a backup left tackle.
    I read somewhere that the Vikings really like the prospects of him being a good starting left tackle or left guard in the future. I thought that he was a real steel in the draft.

46. By Kvam on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I don’t think we’re able to fill all holes needed to be playoff contenders this year so hereæs my take.

I would really like the Vikings to focus on offence this off-season. Take Kalil in the first round and supplement the o-line in later rounds or in free agency. Then, if were not able to land a great WR in free agency, get a speedy WR in the second round, maybe consider trading up for Floyd or Hill. This way we should have all the pieces in place to see for sure if Ponder will be the face of the franchise. Pick promising DB’s and LB’s in later rounds.

Then focus on the defense next year. Pick players who will make an impact from day one in the first rounds, and hope the players we pick this year can develop into solid starters.

Recent years has shown us that you can do great even with a below average defence, and a good offence will bring some much needed exitement to the fans. If we’re able to fix the defence next year we could be serious super bowl contenders in 2013, and in years to come.

47. By DRS on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

The NFL should let everyone know that any type of cheating is unacceptable, they should look in to them so called officials on the field for any extra paychecks or revenues extended to them by teams to look the other way during games, if any officials have any favoritism towards any team they should not be allowed to officiate that game, Just my opinion of course.

48. By TJ Styx on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I like what you are thinking and I’m glad loadholt is putting in extra effort but I’d really like to see him off of the Vikings starting line-up

49. By Jon on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

@NorthWoodsVikes

Again with this Phil LoadHALT business? HE IS NOT BEING SWITCHED TO GUARD. Get it out of your head man, you don’t just switch offensive linemen positions first off, Only a small portion of them can even switch from a Tackle to a Guard to begin with.

And you think 6 foot 8 inch LoadHALT is going to be changing to a guard? Guards have to pull and move around, you know this right? You understand this concept? Good luck getting any 100 yrd games Peterson.

Second he’s too tall for a Guard. Ponder needs to be able to see the field, tackles can get away with being that tall as they are on the outskirts of the pocket if all is going well.

Third he sucks. Stop saying he will be changed to Guard.

50. By DRS on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

As Tennessee plots its push for free-agent quarterback Peyton Manning, the Titans plan to host a visit from former Minnesota Vikings Pro Bowl guard Steve Hutchinson, league sources said Tuesday.

One goal of signing Hutchinson would be to make Tennessee even more appealing to Manning, who is close to the guard from the time they’ve spent together at multiple Pro Bowls in Hawaii.

Mike and Mike in the Morning

ESPN NFL analyst Bill Polian talks about what could happen to Tim Tebow if the Broncos sign Peyton Manning, Manning’s free-agency tour, Mario Williams, Matt Flynn, Pierre Garcon and more. Polian explains why he expects Manning to remain in the AFC.

More Podcasts »

But Hutchinson was on the Titans’ radar even before the Manning pursuit began, as they want to beef up the interior line with a veteran leader. Hutchinson is close to Titans quarterback Matt Hasselbeck, as well, from their days together in Seattle.

The Titans also were preparing to make a major run at Houston Texans defensive end Mario Williams, but the organization has shifted its focus to Manning, a league source said.

51. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

That’s a good idea Mike B – they need to be penalized, but stripping the SB title is essentially a meaningless gesture. The game was played, NO scored more points than Indy. The entire world knows NO came out on top that year, albeit by dirty tactics. Did they CHEAT? They certainly played dirty, but did they CHEAT? Does it say in the rule book “Don’t tackle so hard as to break bones or otherwise incapacitate another player.”???

They do need to be punished. Take some draft picks, ban Williams from the NFL, and if specific plays/players can be identified as being late hits or intentionally causing injury then issue a substantial fine.

52. By DRS on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

”Every player that approaches the last year of their contract and enters the screen door of free agency knows there’s always the possibility (of leaving),” Pouha said, ”but in my mind I always wanted to be with the Jets, remain with the Jets.”

A slew of veterans have taken the opposite route after being released by their teams. Indianapolis’ housecleaning went far beyond Manning, with RB Joseph Addai, TE Dallas Clark, LB Gary Brackett, QB Curtis Painter and safety Melvin Bullitt cut last week.

53. By MGR4FUN on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

i am not sure why everyone is in such a hurry to throw phil loadholt under the bus … he is after all the very best run blocking tackle in the nfl … last i checked the adrian and toby show was a rushing unit … yeah is true phil has had some trouble with speed rushers in pass defense … when kalil is on the left side will free up some tight ends and some backs to assist on the right side … phil more than earns his money in the run game and he will continue to improve his pass blockin with some good coaching … and i feel this will be the year d. love shines … kalil / love / sully / fusco / loadholt … that is a young o-line that can grow together and be around for a long time … i like meachum in the free agency raffle and maybe robinson … one splash maybe red bryant at d-tackle … possibly all three …

54. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

DRS…The NFL officials should be sweating bullets !!…You can be sure that Goodell would want to fix any kind of cheating in that regard ((( behind closed doors )))…And not want to give the NFL image another black eye in the view of the public…But the Saints were foolish enough not to listen to Goodells advice when talked too about the “bountygate scandal” when approach about it after the 2009 season…I think they just felt secure the league would never make anything like that public information…Do union NFL officials have the same kind of false confidence also…

Some day soon the public may find out about officials also ???…Why not bring all the dirt to the surface all over the NFL in one big shot and get it over with if your Goodell ???…NFL officials beware…

55. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Wow Jon. Who peed in your wheaties?

First off, I’ve never said he will be switched to guard. I’ve suggested it. I don’t work for the Vikings, I’m just a blogger like you. Maybe you shouldn’t take yourself or us so seriously. It’s fun to discuss what they could/should/might do, but at the end of the day do you really think Spielman pays ANY attention to what we type?

Second, many players have switched positions. Wobs is personally suggesting Johnson move to guard. Many bloggers have suggested several players moving positions, including Winfield, Webb, and Griffith.

Third, the height of the linemen makes very little difference to QBs who throw down LANES, using timing patterns. Look at Doug Flutie – even the shortest lineman appeared 7′ tall to him.

Fourth, maybe a switch to decaf would calm you down.

56. By DRS on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

NorthwoodsVikesFan even Fran T. threw to a spot, most of the time he could not see over his o-line at least that is what I remember Fran reporting sometime after his retirement.

57. By DRS on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Not long now and the frenzy begins, GO VIKINGS!!!!!

58. By New Vike on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I would love for the Vikes to come away with Pierre Garcon, Brandon Carr, and LaRon Landry. Landry and Carr bring in very good young fixtures in the secondary and would allow the Vikes to move Winnefield to safety or sign Reggie Nelson to roam center field. Garcon gives the Vikes a sure-handed threat in the passing game.

59. By DRS on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

The three phone calls were among the last exhibits entered by Hennepin County prosecutors Monday, the fourth day of testimony in Cook’s trial on charges of domestic assault by strangulation and third-degree assault.

The defense could finish its case today, and jurors could begin deliberations Wednesday afternoon.

60. By Parody on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

That offensive line may work out, at least for this year. But I’m not sold that it will be a good long term solution. I think that any good offensive line needs at least two stars on it. We’ll have one with Kalil, but there are too many questions with the rest of them.

One more first rounder should be spent next year to fill in the gaps of the o-line, unless by some stroke of luck, all the 6th-round picks we have in the middle turn out to be quality starters and Loadholt is able to silence his critics.

61. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

DRS…Just chuckling here…Sure miss the days of Tark !!…

“Fran the Man”…’The scrambler”…Tark was so small looking on the field…I used to just laugh when those massive D-lineman would come flying through the O-line…And Fran would just whip his helmet back and start running for the hills…: )

Tark reminded me of the movie “Forrest Gump”…Not anything about Tark being slow or special in that regard..Just the running speed parts where Forrest’s girl friend would say to him when people were chasing him yelling out to him..”Run Forrest…..Run” !!!….That was Tark alright…Nobody could catch him !!!…: )

62. By DRS on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

OTKalil2012 it was fun seeing him do his thing out there on the field, too bad the team did not take the SB more serious back in them there days.

63. By DRS on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Have to go, everyone have a great day, GO Vikings!!!!!

64. By Shawn on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

according to nfl dot com only 6 teams have more cap room than the vikings

65. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Hard to believe he was 6′ tall – he looked like David vs. Goliath out there.

66. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

DRS…Just wish MN politians would understand…You don’t have to just go to a place like the “Guthrie theatre” to have a special memory that will last forever in peoples hearts…The Vikings truly are part of the heritage of Minnesota…

Losing the Vikings to another state would be a great loss…

67. By Mike B. on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

@MGR4Fun You need to be able to pass the ball in this league. It was a mistake for Fraizer to say we were a run first team. You have to make other teams think you will be burned by the long ball or they won’t respect your pass game. That happened all year. The OL needs to be run and pass effective. Loadholt has been spotty all year. Where are you getting your stats on his run block ability? I think most would say he’s a question mark.

68. By Shawn on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Tampa … 44.9 Million

denver … 42.3 Million

Bengals … 39 Million

Jags … 34.5 Million

Seahawks … 27.7 Million

Titans … 25.1 Million

Vikings 24 Million

____________________________________________________________

We should be in the mix … C”Mon Spielman DO YOUR JOB makes us better !!!!!!!!

69. By Larry on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I hope we do something today when the market opens.Something tells me we wont though.I dont have faith in Spielman.

70. By Shawn on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Loadholt is a good run blocker

71. By sandiamond on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

By OTKalil2012 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

This pick is a no brain-er !!!….Don’t mess this up Rick !!!

72. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I have no problem with Loadholt..Is there room for improvement…Yes…But at least he is even well aware of that…And is working hard to fix that problem…Attitude isn’t the problem…That is a big postive right there…And he seems to be getting better each year also…Little by little…And that is what you hope for in a big monster RT…

Loadholt just needs to learn how hold DE’s a little better “legally” is all…: )

73. By Shawn on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

WR Marques Colston resigned with the Saints

74. By Shawn on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

DB Terrell Thomas resigned with the Giants

75. By Spencer on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Will we get anybody?

76. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Colston you jack rabbit !!!

You will be so sorry you signed back up with those cheaters !!!…

77. By sandiamond on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

USAToday Top 50 free agents : QB,DE,RB,C,DT and some RFA omitted
    3 G Carl Nicks
    5 WR Vincent Jackson
    6 CB Courtland Finnegan
    7 WR Marques Colston
    8 CB Brandon Carr (one viking mention)
    9 WR Pierre Garcon
    39 CB Eric Wright
    41 CB Terrell Thomas
    42 LB Stephen Tulloch
    44 G Steve Hutchinson

78. By Shawn on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

79. By Shawn on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

sandiamond nice list lets watch it dwindle … start by taking out WR Colston and CB Terrell Thomas

80. By Shawn on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

We need to sign Grubbs or Nicks

or go all defense

with Lofton or Tulloch

and

DB Marshall
    CB Wright

I dont think we are in the running for VJax and Garcon makes me think BB

81. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Only WR on the list above I even like is P Garcon and L Robison now…CB Carr and Finnegan…S L Landry…But Landry has injury concerns that need to be checked into…Good player..

I didn’t know TE J Calson was on the list…Haven’t read anything on him lately…Do need someone to take Shaincoe’s spot on the roster..

82. By sandiamond on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

should be able to update the top 50 list later

8 CB Brandon Carr (26) Chiefs:
    The big, tough corner was a fifth-round pick out of Grand Valley State but started from Day One and has never missed an NFL game. Fits: Cincinnati Bengals, Cowboys, Minnesota Vikings

83. By Parody on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

This team has been decent at drafting WRs, especially in comparison to CBs. The only early bust we had in the last 15-years at WR was Troy Williamson. Moss, Harvin and Rice were all great WRs for the Vikings. Burleson was our pick as well, and was solid and is still producing in the NFL.

Recently drafted CBs include Cook, Allen and Griffin. Two second rounders and one 3rd rounder. To date, they can all be considered busts. Griffin because of injuries, Cook because of injuries and law problems, and Allen just because he stinks. Safety Tyrell Johnson was also a second round pick, and most fans are sick of him as well.

So I’d be hoping that we make a big attempt to cover our DB problems in free agency. One big name safety and corner would be preferred, because if history repeats itself, we’ll just continue to waste any early picks spent on DBs. We need to find a different solution.

84. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Shawn…Can you put up a list with every teams salary cap space they have this year…

Wondering how the Saints are with cap space….They still need to get a contract done with Brees ???…

85. By Shawn on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I like your thinking Parody and sandiamond … but heres why Im thinking a little differently

The DBs are deep and we could get 2 starters for the price of a Carr or Finnegan by getting Eric Wright and Richard Marshall

Also Im thinking we need 1 big name and if we use the big money on Carr or Finnegan … we get one starter because after the top 2-3 MLBs then there really are no starters same with guards and wrs

but if we get one big money MLB / guard / wr we can still add 2 more cheaper guys that would start for us …. DB Richard Marshall and CB Eric Wright

After Grubbs and Nicks … then Id rather see what we have on the team

After Vjax …. Id rather trust the coaches make the call on garcon and i will judge after year 1 …. and after garcon theres nothing

After Lofton and Tulloch …. one could argue Hawthorne but after that I believe Brinkley is the best choice

all of that being said I would be very happy if we sign Carr or Finnegan

86. By Shawn on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Arizona: -$13.7 million (they’re over)
    Atlanta: $7M
    Baltimore: $13M
    Buffalo: $23M
    Carolina: $1.3M
    Chicago: $23.5M
    Cincinnati: $39M
    Cleveland: $15M
    Dallas: -$2.7M (they’re over)
    Denver: $42.3M
    Detroit: -$7.3M (they’re over)
    Green Bay: $5.6M
    San Francisco: $20.7M
    St. Louis: $9.8M
    Tampa Bay: $44.9M
    Tennessee: $25.1M
    Washington: $16.4M

87. By josh k on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

drafting Kalil, we need two good FA signings CB/OL/WR. maybe CB and WR i suppose but imagine our line with Nicks. AP’s best years were when we had 3 pro bowlers on the left side. he is most productive going left.

88. By Shawn on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

if we added 3 starters in FA and 2 more in the draft … Id be excited about next season

89. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

“According to wikipedia Charlie Johnson did start 12 games at LG for the Colts but they dont give any clue if he did well. Im guessing since he isnt a Colt anymore he probably didnt”

You’re most likely right, but we did cut some pretty fair talent just this week to make more cap space.

I didn’t like him at the LT spot – he’s not as slow as Loadholt, but he was still getting beat on the outside. Too bad they can’t do a Vulcan mind meld and transfer some of his speed to Phil.

90. By Vikings1 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

You can forget about Colston, he recently signed a 5 year deal with the saints worth almost $40M.

91. By Shawn on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

thats so 40 seconds ago :)

92. By Anthony on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I like this plan sounds good. Im happy to hear Loadholt is training trying to get better and I think our line will be much improved this coming year but I like these young guys with lots of potential able to get their chances and that we can focus on other needs in FA. Go Vikings!!!!!!!!!!!!!

93. By New Vike on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

LaRon Landry! Then add Curtis Lofton, Brandon Carr and a low risk high reward wr like Josh Morgan. Draft Kalil in the first, and then the next 2 rounds draft for best player available and this team will be on the upswing!

94. By sandiamond on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

from usa today print:
    9 WR Pierre Garcon (26,Colts)
    He offers size,speed,production and youth. and even without Manning in 2011 he was effective (70rec) 947 yds, six td’s Fits: Jags,Redskins,Texans

15 WR Mario Manningham ( 26,Giants)
    His Super Bowll Heroics certainly won’t hurt, but don’t forget Bill Belichick was urging his team to blanket Victor Cruz and H. Nicks, not Mannigham
    Fits: Bears,Bucs, Jags

17 WR Brandon Lloyd (31,Rams)
    He blossomed in 2010 as the league leader in rec yds (1,448) and even performed well in St. Louis’ anemic offense in 2011 (683 yds, five td’s in 11 games). Fits: Jags,Patriots,Rams

95. By Troy on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Finnegan, Our D needs some attitude. Also I feel we need to address G. If they could step outside the box and sign finnegan and say Nicks…WOW. I don’t think it will be possible but wr is deep this year in the draft and they could stock up on them and hope one pans out.

96. By Carl K on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

We don’t need to waste money on a FA WR. WE HAVE JOE WEBB!
    Joe Webb had 3 catches in the his senior bowl.
    As a receiver for UAB he caught 1 TD to every 10 receptions. He was usually targeted on short quick strikes.

Joe is a freak much like Matt Jones was. Matt Jones from Arkansas made the transition from QB to WR with out a problem. 166 career receptions for 2153.
    Matt was drafted in the first round after a good showing at the combine.
    IF Joe Webb would have been invited to his combine… he would have made a phenomenal impact. Joe would have made a big jump forward much like Stephen Hill is going to do this year.

97. By Spencer on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Webb is not a WR

98. By AKsuperfan on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Why didn’t the Vikings try to get a draft pick for Steve Hutchinson instead of just letting him walk? Also, LT Bryant McKinnie could have generated a 3rd round draft pick last year for the upcoming draft. Instead the Vikings let him walk.

99. By sandiamond on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

21 Lardarius Webb (26,Ravens)
    Like Mike Wallace, he is restricted and would cost a draft pick- though that could be viewed as a reasonable price for an up-and coming corner. Fits: 49ers,Patriots,Ravens

100. By NORTHLANDER on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Trade Webb to the Browns for there 1st round pick. Kalil Blackmon back2back

101. By AKsuperfan on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I agree, but it might be hard to get a 1st round pick for Webb.

102. By Rudso on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I guess that O-line might work for now, the important part to this whole line is Kalil because he improves 2 spots on the line, LT and upgrading at G or maybe RT with moving the worst lineman to 2nd string. I still would feel A LOT better with adding Nicks. We payed Hutch when he was his prime, why not take the money we saved and invest in another Pro Bowl Guard?

I know we have a lot of holes to file but my understanding is that “going younger” will be addressed in the draft. I much prefer a veteran CB with the uncertainty of Cook and rookies usually get burned until they learn the system or Carl Nicks to teach Kalil and open up some holes for AP. We are 6th in the NFL with the most cap room after they released the numbers. Don’t give me that “we can’t afford any free agents”.

103. By Derrick.G on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

We werent going to get anything for hutch….injury concerns and age…

104. By NORTHLANDER on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Look what the redskins gave up for RG3

105. By Derrick.G on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

They gave up WAY to much for him, i hope he busts, so i can laugh at all my skins fans. lol

106. By Rudso on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Something else to think about. If the Vikings want a WR in the 2nd round and that’s their goal I think they need to consider moving up to pick before the Rams 2nd round pick. I doubt Blackmon will be available at #6, the Browns are most likely picking him at #4 and it’s just simply not fair for the Rams to get all those picks AND the guy they want in Blackmon at #6. The Rams might get Claieborn but they still need a WR and they are picking right before us in the 2nd round.

If there is a WR that the Vikings love and he slips, I wouldn’t hate it if the Vikings traded up in to late 1st round to grab that guy. For example, moving up to 30 would cost us about 50 value points in draft picks, that equals a 4th round pick and we will have 2 of them from losing Rice. Not to mention who owns the 30th pick? The Patriots, and we know they always like to move down the draft with at least 1 of their 1st rounders. Just a thought. I have a feeling a lot of WRs are going to be flying off the board late 1st round to middle of 2nd round.

107. By Shawn on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I wont accept Charlie Johnson upgrading LG where we had Steve Hutchinson … until i see it

108. By NORTHLANDER on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Ponder Harvin AP Rudolph Blackmon Gerhart Kalil. That would be a fun O to watch.

109. By Derrick.G on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

We at least need to give Charlie Johnson a shot at playing his normal position, it wasnt fair to bring the guy in to play a position hes not “built” for.

110. By Derrick.G on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

NOTHELANDER, Its one or the other, you can dream all ya want there buddy, Knowing the vikings tho, we’ll draft a RB…

111. By Spencer on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Will you guys shutup about Blackmon? Hes not that great. Floyd and Jeffery have a higher ceiling than Blackmon.

112. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Thanks Shawn… for posting those cap numbers…

Been out enjoying the day outside…Wow…What a great day !!

Buzzer sounds in just a little over a half hour…

Start your engines Zygi…Your jet engines that is…: )

Kind of sounds counter productive though…

To warm up the jet..

To go get a Carr ???…..: )

113. By NORTHLANDER on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Spencer do you have a crystal ball your not telling us about? Does anybody else think we should trade Webb and a late round pick for a 1st rounder this year. Hes to good to be a back-up.

114. By Rudso on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Derrick G., why the hate on the Vikings draft picks? “Knowing the vikings tho, we’ll draft a RB…” Who was our last 1st round bust? You’re going to have to look way back to find one. As far as I’m concerned, the Vikings have been great with their number 1 picks.

Before people start getting all emotional and stating “Anyone can hit on their 1st round pick”, go search how many of thous first round picks are busts.

115. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I wouldn’t be surprised if Spielman doesn’t trade C Johnson the day after the first round picks are chosen..If the Vikings take Kalil like everyone is thinking…Don’t ever sell the old junker…Until the new car is parked in the driveway…: )

116. By chris_b on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I think the viks will sit on there hands. They should at least try to get some 2nd tier guys. L Landry and mike wallace would help out alot.

117. By chris_b on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Rudso everyone makes fun of us at the draft. Kevin williams. Worked out but we didnt even get our pick in. Tell me another team that has done that. Troy willimson dont really consider bryant mckinie a good pick

118. By Parody on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Jeffery has character issues. I know that doesn’t bug you one bit Spence, but the rest of us are fed up with learning about stars missing games because they can’t obey the law when they’re off the field. We have our stars on offense, now we need to add some workhorses that care about the team and don’t mind being left out of the spotlight.

119. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

D@mn straight Parody !

120. By Spencer on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Just when I lost all hope, some hope has been restored !!!

Most injuries the woman suffered in the fight with Cook last October were superficial, healed within days and left no permanent scarring, the doctors testified Tuesday, March 13, in Cook’s defense.

They also said that at least from a medical standpoint, there was no evidence that Cook had strangled Chantel Baker, as the state claims.

As jurors in Cook’s trial looked at photos of red marks and abrasions on Baker’s neck, Dr. Lindsey Thomas, a forensic pathologist at Regina Medical Center in Hastings, said the wounds were “pretty minor.”

“There’s certainly nothing here that has a specific pattern for fingers,” Thomas told jurors.

121. By Spencer on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

To prove the strangulation count, prosecutors must show that Cook assaulted Baker and caused bodily harm, and that the assault was by strangulation. To prove the assault count, the state must prove Cook committed “substantial bodily harm.”

122. By Parody on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Shawn – How recent are your cap stats? Do they take penalties into account? I read in another article that the Cowboys and Redskins were getting punished for the shakey deals they made in the uncapped year, making both teams a few million over the cap this year. Have they made some cuts recently that changed that?

123. By Matt on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

get Landry and Atogwe, they will cost approx 9 mill total for the year, they both came after injures so they could be even cheaper, we would still have enough to go after Nicks or even the cheaper alternative Grubbs, save the rest for draft/future

124. By Parody on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Spencer – Doesn’t the state need to also prove that Cook was in no real danger? Or does that not matter if it is a man defending himself against a woman?

125. By Spencer on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Honestly Parody, I have no idea.

126. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

We will know in a few days. The longer the jury deliberates is usually a good sign of an acquittal, reaching a quick decision usually means a guilty verdict.

127. By Shawn on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Bears traded for WR Brandon Marshall

WE NEED DBs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

128. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Ding Ding Ding !!!!!

And we are off !!!

FREE AGENCY HAS BEGUN !!!!

129. By Shawn on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Parody … the article which i posted earlier in this blog says it was published today and written by jason laconfora

130. By Shawn on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Here it is again and it does specify penalties are not included

131. By Spencer on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Bears traded for Brandon Marshall? What are you talking about Shawn?

132. By Shawn on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Bears got Marshall for 2 3rd round picks … why cant spielman work some trades like that ?????????????????????

133. By NORTHLANDER on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

V.Jackson!!!!

134. By Shawn on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

umm … Im talking about the Bears traded 2x 3rd round picks for WR Brandon Marshall …

135. By Spencer on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Holy SH-T youre right Shawn !!!!!

HOW?!!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?1?!?!

136. By Parody on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Thanks Shawn – part of the disclaimer says “Those numbers will be figured in Tuesday”

So we can keep an eye out for the updated numbers to see where all the teams actually stand, as of the beginning of free agency. Look for cuts to be coming from Washington and Dallas (among others, it looks like AZ and DET both are already over the top too) soon. They have some weight to lose.

Are there any high priced names currently on their rosters that may look good in Purple? They could be available soon.

137. By DuaneN on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Trading Webb seems silly to me. Ponder will get hurt again.

138. By Parody on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Wow – That trade may have hurt the Dolphins’ shot at landing Manning. Then again, according to Shawn’s earlier article, Miami is only $9.8mil under the cap…so maybe they were trying to free up some cap space to be able to sign Peyton? I know rumors have indicated that Peyton doesn’t care about getting a big contract, but maybe it matters more to him than he’s letting on.

139. By Rudso on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

chris_b, everyone makes fun of us at the draft? Why? Because we’ve picked Adrian Peterson, Percy Harvin, Chad Greenway which are all franchise type players. One can even make an argument that we spent a 1st round pick on Jared Allen. Back-to-Back our 1st round picks won Offensive Rookie of the Year.

Didn’t the Ravens didn’t get their pick in time last draft? No body is making fun of them. I have FULL confidence the Vikings will make the right choice in the 1st round and that Kalil will be another Pro Bowler to add to our resume of 1st round picks.

What I’m more worried about is how the Vikings draft CBs and Safeties. Cedric Griffin was a 2nd round pick, Tyrell Johnson was a 2nd round pick! Asher Allen was a 3rd round pick, Chris Cook was a 2nd round pick as well. All these low picks on corners and safeties and we have nothing to show for. I would be lying if I said I was worried about the Vikings using their 2nd round pick on the secondary. History does not favor the Vikings there.

140. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I am just about convinced that Manning will be a Houston Texan. A weak division, a dome, a great wide receiver and running back…….it must appeal to him.

141. By Saddy on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Colston off market, let’s target CB’s instead of WR…

142. By Parody on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

DuaneN – Even if that does happen, we have backups on the team. Sage is plenty capable of filling in.

Webb is too talented to be a backup. We are hurting his career by making him sit behind another player, and hurting our team by not getting whatever value we can from him – either by changing his position or trading him.

Instead of going all out to ensure you have great backups to replace the injured, the team should be going all out to create protection for these guys to reduce their odds of being injured.

143. By Spencer on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I doubt it, the Texans think Shaub is “The Guy.” Plus they dont really need Manning. They got to the Divisional round with a 3rd string Rookie QB, and almost could of won the game.

144. By 61Vikings on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Mario Williams to visit with the Bills and Cortland Finnegan visiting the Rams!! Brandon Carr to visit with the Cowboys!!!

145. By mike on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

if you are rolling the dice you cannot call it a “long term plan”
    Kalil isn’t as much of a dice roll, but Fusco? Berger? You don’t get better by putting in guys that couldn’t beat out the starters on your own team last year. If they can do as well and improve ech year it’s steps in the right direction, but out of all the Olinemen that are available now, and that will be over the next few years through draft, I really don’t see a terrible Oline improving.

I like the idea of moving Charlie Johnson inside, but as of now it’s just an “idea”.
    Last year I would have preferred us move McKinney to Guard next to Loadholt if we thought he showed up overweight.Can you imagine that size next to Kleinsausser pushing the line?

Speaking of Kliensausser, we are losing a great blocker in him too… let’s not forget that.

146. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

The league has NOT yet given the okay on the trade set up between the Redskins and Rams…No word on that front as of yet…That news is expected SOON….

147. By Spencer on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Greg Jennings. Brandon Marshall. Calvin Johnson.

Asher Allen. Antoine Winfield. Brandon Burton. Marcus Sherals.

148. By Parody on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Nova – Houston would surprise me. They were doing great until Schaub got injured. Was the injury so bad that they are ready to move on without him? He’s been to the pro-bowl, so it seems foolish to replace one pro-bowl QB with another, when both are coming off of serious injuries. I’d think a move like that would only divide the locker room.

149. By Saddy on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Pierre Garcon talking contract to Redskins, what the heck, Redskins dont even have cap space after being stripped of just today, but Vikings are quiet…

This is Bull

150. By 61Vikings on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Wouldn’t be surprised if the Rams sign Finnegan, because Jeff Fischer drafted him!! Dallas released Terrance Newman, so it makes since for them to go after Brandon Carr!! Let’s go Vikes, hope your on yhe phone with some of these guys!!!

151. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Well Spencer, according to Mike Klis of The Denver Post, the Texans have finally reached out to Manning to gauge his interest in joining the team……..From the Bleacher Report.

152. By VA Vike Fan on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I can already see how this season will turn out..no big named signings means another yr of mediocre to subpar players not producing out on the field. We’re letting good players go and not filling any voids. If we don’t get somebody in this front office that knows what how to build a competing team, we will be at the bottom of the league for years to come

153. By Saddy on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I have a feeling Vikings are signing Carlos Rogers from SF… If Vikings are to compete they need Vincent Jackson for sure.

154. By Shawn on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

By Spencer on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply
    Greg Jennings. Brandon Marshall. Calvin Johnson.
    Asher Allen. Antoine Winfield. Brandon Burton. Marcus Sherals.

__________________________________________________________________

I LOLed

155. By New Vike on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

two 3rd for B marshall is highway robbery! Wish the Vikes woulda made that deal

156. By 61Vikings on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Pierre Garcon in talks with multiple teams, only teams mentioned were ‘Skins and Rams!!! With Chicago getting Brandon Mashall, that takes them out of the running for Vincent Jackson!!

157. By Spencer on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Well we arent in the Brandon Carr Sweepstakes. The Vikings announced they have little intention of going after him.

Despite the need for a top cornerback, the Minnesota Vikings are not expected to enter the free agency bidding for Kansas City Chiefs cornerback Brandon Carr, according to two people with knowledge of the situation.

158. By Justin F on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Expect the Vikings to be very cheap this offseason. They’ll avoid most big names and sign the no-namers.

That’s my worst fear. They’ll resort to mediocrity to fix their needs, not pick up skilled players that’ll help the team.

159. By VA Vike Fan on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

That’s it Vikings, sit on yr hands and watch all of these phenomenal players fly past you just like you always do. We havent made a big free agency move since Jared. I guess we’re shooting for another top 3 draft pick next yr

160. By 61Vikings on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

@Nova
    Bob McNair, owner of Texans was just on ESPN, and he said the Texans are not interested in Manning, he said they have there QB in Schaub!!!

161. By Saddy on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Vikings should thunk about signing some big name stars, if you don’t , then dont whine about FA’s not joining you…Atleast make it look like you want to win and get in the line for some big name FA’s

162. By Parody on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Jared wasn’t a free agent – we gave up draft picks in a trade with Kansas to get him.

163. By VA Vike Fan on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

What an exciting day for all the other 31 teams in the NFL..the most news Ive heard from the Vikings is that we cut Steve Hutchinson and Chris Cook is trying to stay out of jail for choking his girlfriend

164. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

61Vikings, thanks, I guess that just goes to show that news from 5 minutes ago is already out-of-date.

165. By Spencer on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Pierre Garcon and the Redskins are currently making Contract Talks.

166. By VA Vike Fan on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

@Parody yea I didn’t mean to put the FA thing. I was just pointing out that that was our LAST big move for player

167. By LarsonFamily on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I guess no players on the free agent markets does not want to play for the Vikings. I know why, cuz we suck! lol. Jeez

168. By Ekolu on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

The Vikings can go in a variety of directions, but I believe they need to hit the FA market if they want early success. By selecting Kalil they kill a few birds w/1 stone. First they solidify the most coveted position on the OL. They lock up that position for at least the next 5-10 years with a legitimate potentential Hall of Famer. They get to move Charlie Johnson to his natural position locking up the left side of the line. I really believe Fusco will be the RG of the future with Joe Berger offering depth and experience. But don’t count out Chris DeGeare, he started as a rookie before ending up on the practice team last year. If we’re talking about getting younger, the OL will fulfill that by drafting Kalil with the 3rd pick. Also, the OT class this year is slim compared to CB and WR and they should be able to land a starter in the 2nd round at either position. If they can land a WR such as Alshon Jeffery, Mohammed Sanu or Reuben Randle, the Offense could be set. Leaving the Vikings with at least 8 picks and FA to acquire a CB, Safety, LB, and Nose Tackle. Im confident they can land any LB, a Safety or NT via FA. So that leaves them with 8 picks to secure a CB with their 3rd rd. pick and one of the above remaining postions with the rest. Im looking for the Vikings to make an aggressive move in conjunction with one or more of their 4th round picks. If the Vikings can land 4 impact players in the first 4 rounds, they’ll be contending in the North very soon. 1 great draft and an FA or 2 puts them right in the mix.

169. By Saddy on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Vincent Jackson to the Bucs almost a done deal, there goes my fellow vikings, Now I dont care about drafting Kalil anymore I need playmakers like Blackmon…

Sorry we need to hit strength with strength that is we need Blackmon if we are going to put atleast 25 points..

170. By 61Vikings on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Every team in our division is getting so much better, except the Vikes!! Pierre Garcon to sign with the ‘Skins!!!!! How is this possible!!!!

171. By VA Vike Fan on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Oh yea, and lets not forget the big big resigning of the man himself, SAGE ROSENFELS! Oh yea, we’re in it to win it!

172. By LarsonFamily on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Its obvious no free agents players will join the Vikings. The only chances we’ll get a players is through the draft. I can see how many players dislike the vikings from what happen last year and what the coaches has done to the players. They are not interested in Vikings. None of em are.

173. By Spencer on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

This team is a joke.

174. By Larry on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Just as I expected the Vikes are doing little now that FA is started.All they did was come to terms with Letroy Guion,might say we havent done anything.What a joke.

175. By Shawn on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Steve Hutchinson is in Tennesse

176. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Sage Rosenfels…….the “missing piece” of the puzzle.

177. By Shawn on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

hutch hasnt signed yet but hes there being recruited

178. By Spencer on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Curtis Lofton is going to be a Buccaneer.

179. By LarsonFamily on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Vikings UFA DL Letroy Guion is returning to the Vikings on a three-year deal, says Fox Sports. Guion, 24, had 35 tackles but no sacks in backup duty on the Vikings defensive line in 2011. The announcement came just under the wire as free agency has begun.

180. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Garcon is gone…He is a Redskin now…

181. By Shawn on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

yup garcon said himself hes signing with redskins

IM GOING TO CHANT FIRE SPIELMAN SOON

182. By LarsonFamily on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Vikings UFA DL Letroy Guion is returning to the Vikings on a three-year deal, says Rapid Reports. Guion, 24, had 35 tackles but no sacks in backup duty on the Vikings defensive line in 2011. The announcement came just under the wire as free agency has begun.

183. By Spencer on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

184. By 61Vikings on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Pierre Garcon signed with ‘Skins because he knows there going to draft RG3!! Who would you rather play with, Ponder or RG3??? How in the world does the ‘Skins do it?? Vincent Jackson to sign with the Bucs!!

185. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Start now Shawn, you can always recant it.

186. By Saddy on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

There it is folks….

We are getting WR Mario Manningham …Not happy..

187. By Shawn on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

WOW we got Rosenfels and Guion ?????????????

WTF Spielman you could have signed those 2 anytime in the last month !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why wait until the open Market ?????????????????????????????

188. By Saddy on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

How much bet Mario Manningham is going to be another BB….He is not physical like Pierre Garcon or vincent Jackson or anyone for that god sake.

189. By Spencer on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I DONT WANT MARIO MANNINGHAM !!!!

WHAT THE FLYING F-CK!!!!!

190. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

price tags are going VERY high early it sounds like….Vikes might just wait past the first wave now…V Jackson is asking for a huge pay day from what source are saying…

191. By GrandDaddyPurp on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

WR Larent Robinson. CB Brandon Carr.

These are the two FA the vikings should sign

192. By Spencer on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I hope the deal crumbles. Take your talents somewhere else Mario !

193. By New Vike on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Puffy cheeks chill!! Plenty of talent to go around yet. Dont lose faith yet…

194. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

If we get Manningham we will lead the league in players whose middle name is ” Cashmere”.

195. By Spencer on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

We dont need another small receiver. We need a big 6’3+ WR who can make plays down the field.

196. By Shawn on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

saddy where did you see mario manningham or are you just guessing ????

197. By LarsonFamily on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

We wont get any top free agents. None of em wants to play for the Vikings.

198. By 61Vikings on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

If we don’t sign any free agents, we have to make some trades in the draft!! I don’t think any of these guys want to come to Minnesota, 3-13 last year, an unproven QB and the stadium issue stil looming!!

199. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Who would want Manningham ???…I have heard NOTHING about that….

200. By 61Vikings on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

@GDP
    Robinson going to the Jags and Carr going to the Cowboys!!

201. By LarsonFamily on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Peyton Hillis signs with Cinn.

202. By Shawn on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

wobs started a new blog guys

203. By Spencer on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Vincent Jackson is about to be a Buc.

204. By TheRealDon™ on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

VIKINGS YOU REALLY HURT ME..WE NEED BIG NAME IMPACT PLAYERS..

205. By Saddy on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

from NFL News is my source, it said Vike fans watch out for Mario Manningham…

206. By Larry on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

We dont need Manningham.I want a tall reciever,not some runt.

207. By jv3rnon on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I’m so sick of it. Vikings hurt me so bad man. I guess i won’t be going see them play this year. Speilman sucks ass and he needs go find another place to ruin besides the vikings.I wish we can return to the old Purple People Eaters. We need at least 2 or 3 good play makers. V-JAX,Landry, and a right guard.PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

208. By Justin F on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Yep, Lets sit on our a s s e s all day. Thats more fun than talking with agents…

209. By vikesfansteve on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

The Vikings will do nothing as usual like every other year. Then in a few days they will sign a second level free agent to build for the future. Meanwhile teams like the Bears will keep getting better but the Vikings will always talk about 3 years from now. What do you expect from the team that drafted Darren Nelson instead of Marcus Allen. D Nelson who dropped the tying td against the skins in the 87 NFCCG. 5 straight NFCCG losses, 4 SB losses, 13 losses last year & not doing a thing so far this year. Same thing different season for the Vikings. Oh yeah forgot about not reaching for picks then drafting Ponder first. It’s hard to be purple sometimes.

210. By CA Norseman on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Herrera and Hutch were out or beat up much of the last two years, so the youth movement is probably a good idea. We will need to see more Webb as running for your life, AKA Vikes QB best suits him..

211. By Larry on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

The Vikes could have picks 1-10 in the draft,and still wouldnt do anything.Spielman is a clown.

212. By CA Norseman on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Bears reunite Brandon Marshall and Cutler. Looks like we may be getting high draft picks next year too. Perhaps they can put a cellar dressing room in the new stadium.. I cannot see them passing anyone, whille they upgrade and we do not.

213. By Larry on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

The Bucs made it official and signed V-Jax.Everyones doing something but us.

214. By Craig on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Well so far our big splash in free agency reminds me of an olympic Diver with the perfect dive. We are linked to signing no body and all the top WR and CB’s are visiting and signing with teams all over the NFL. No mention of anyone even planning a visit. This is a sad day for Viking football fans. Do they really think fans will just hang around and spend money for 3 or 4 years until we can compete again? Looks like no effort at all to improve the team. When they trade the 3rd pick and do not take Kalil I will find something else to do with my time during football season. And I have been a loyal fan for 50 years. The Vikings were always in the mix when a top player was available. No more. They have turned the Vikings into the red headed step child of the NFL. Nobody wants to play with the Vikings. 6:45 3/13/12

215. By Larry on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I agree Craig,this is pretty sad.

216. By Andrew C on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Wobschall, we aren’t asking to sign a whole bunch of all-pros this offseason. We just want ONE for crying out loud. Tell me why spielman is such a tight wad and refuses to spend money on quality free agents. I understand that defensive back and wide receiver are more important for this team right now, but apparently V-jax is headed for Tampa and Pierre Garcon for D.C. If we’re really trying to help ponder out then tell me why we aren’t going to help him stay on his feet by signing arguably the best guard in the NFL.

I, for one, am sick and tired of Rick Spielman. He is such a cheap skate and when your team is 3-13 you can’t always wait for 5 drafts to go by to acquire a solid team. Your idea for our offensive line next year sounds plausible, but I don’t like Berger at guard. We can’t wait for an o line to develop. If we do Ponder may never play a full season.

My offseason wishes: Draft Kalil 3rd overall, draft Alshon Jeffery 35th overall, make a push to sign Cortland Finnegan, and finally and most importantly for Ponder, SIGN CARL NICKS!

217. By chris_b on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I guess i dont understand what we are doing we should hang ricky by his twigs and berrys and find out whos paying him to keep our team to 2 mabye 3 and more likely 1 wins

218. By warren on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Spielman you sure are making a big splash in free agentcy. Its real smart not going after a top teir free agent DB like carr. We only have to play Jennings, Marshel, and Megatron six times a year. Yeah lets wait and get a lower level DB that will help our secondary. Looks like we are going to be the NFC Norths whipping boy again next year thanks rick. If we are going to be a contender in 3 years we need to start making some big moves on some of these YOUNG top teir free agents if we are going to be a contender in years to come.

219. By warren on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

We to get some peices in place before the draft like maybe WR Meachem or Robinson, CB Carr or Porter, SS Landry, OL grubbs or Nicks. Three of the seven named above would give us a huge upgrade for next year. Plus the additions that we will get in the draft we could on the right track to win.

220. By dennis hannay on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

“…a better group than a veteran, expensive collection of veterans…”

What me to rewrite this for you?

221. By Larry on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I say we start a petition demanding Spielmans release.

222. By fran on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

wr? go for Steve Johnson from Buffalo

223. By fran on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

STEVE JOHNSON IS 6-2 , 207, AGE 25
    GO FOR IT,

224. By fran on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

STEVE JOHNSON IS NOT TO MUCH $, AND IS THE WR WE NEED

225. By Kyle on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

get laron landry or mario manningham

226. By warren on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

steve johnson signed with buffalo last week

227. By Kyle on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

stevie johnson got signed a couple weeks ago!!!!

228. By viking mike on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Calm down people. The vikes have too many holes to fill and the coaches and organization know that. Going out and spending all your cash on one or two players isn’t going to make this team a playoff team it will just make them the Washington Redskins. Last time I checked the Eagles didn’t fair so well after being big spenders last year. It’s fair that we wanted one of the big FA’s but that kind of spending would probably hurt us more in the long run with having so many holes.
    Honestly my expectations are low for this year because you have to view it as a rebuilding year and no one likes that because we fear becoming the Lions.

229. By warren on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

i think manningham would be a repeat of BB a bust

230. By fran on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

CB? Eric Wright from DET or Lardarius Webb from BAL
    or Toler from Arizona

231. By Petie97 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Ekolu I agree with you completely about how we should set up our OL. I think charlie johnson will be great at right guard where he doesn’t have to work in open space and he can rely on his true abilities. I have heard great things about Fusco, and even when he had some playing time last season he showed that he has the ability to be a beast at RG. I would on the other hand like to see what D. Love could do I think we could have a good competition at RG this season. I also think that the vikings should try to pick up a NT in the draft( We need to get the D-line to be great again). The problem knowing which player could become a good 1 technique like Pat Williams. Players to consider Josh Chapman Alabama, brandon thompson Clemson, Worthy from MSU, Mike Martin Michigan. I would like to see Poe,Still, and Brockers but unless one of them falls to the 2nd round i dont see it happening and I think the vikings will go WR,CB or SS at 35. One think to also keep in mind watch the vikings try to move up in the late first round to get a player they may like like S Barron from Alabama if he falls to the late 1st.

232. By anderson on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

how come we never get a good player in freeagency??? look at our division ha they all got dominate wrs and we dont even atempt to sign a good corner!! im just frusterated with purple!!!

233. By anderson on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

i been sittin here all day waitin to here something about the vikings and all i can find is somethin about some te from seattle i been waitin for this day forever and the vikes dont even contact anyone???

234. By coachcasey on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I keep hearing about the vikings and 10 draft picks but who has become a star for the vikings in the middle or late rounds? Nobody! Wob you say the Vikings can’t have all pro’s at every position, well when are they gonna sign some all pro’s?Our secondary is a joke! Could you imagine if we had J. Allen on one side of the line ane Mario Williams on the other side, maybe then we could have scabes in the secondary. Well the Bears got better today at WR and so has many other teams but not us. I feel bad for Ponder because he has no down field weapon and no OL. The packers ,Bears ,and Lions keep getting better and we keep getting worse. Wob where is our new all pro’s in free agency??? You can’t honestly think that Spielman is gonna hit on all 10 picks? He has never hit on our top four picks.

235. By Brad Childress' Mustache on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

So far I am happy with Speilman’s moves and / or non-moves. I don’t think the Vikings should dive into free agency. Indeed, they should build through the draft. If they get Kalil, they can let Demarcus Love and Fusco battle for left guard, Sullivan at center, Degeure at right guard, and Loadholt at rt. Yes, it’s a young line but I think the Vikings think there is talent there and I do too. Perhaps they should draft a guard on the second day. With their second pick, they take a WR or CB/S – I like the WR Hill from Georgia Tech if he’s there at the top of the second round in the draft. Or they could go with the safety from Bama, Barron or even Harrison from ND. Also, wouldn’t be surprised if they traded down in the second round to get an extra pick in either the second or third round. I like the kid from Montana, the CB/S hybrid, UCF’s Josh Robinson, and Chase Minifield as possibles in the late second or early third rounds. With another WR and DB early on the second day along with a DT, DB, G, RB, and LB, I think the Vikings will be fine. PS – I think they should resign the Hendersons. Yes, EJ is 31, but he’s not only been a great captain to that defense, his statistics have been consistent and have even improved over the years. Not to mention, he recently came off a bad injury and still performed at a high level. With all the changes the Vikings will be making, I don’t think this is the year to mess with their linebackers. Brinkley is excellent insurance. Assuming the Vikings do well with their draft picks, the only position I’m a little worried about is NT. I like Guin’s potential but they could utilize a deep draft at DT to upgrade and provide him with competition. They can certainly draft at DT on the second day if they choose to wait it out, but they might miss out on some of the real good ones as this is a deep draft at that position. It would be great if one of the Vikings compensatory picks were a third rounder, then they could get a DT before the fourth round, in addition to a quality OT, WR, and DB.

236. By greatirishpotatofamine on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I hate the idea of letting Loadholt play, just cause its his contract year. That is the kind of thinking that got us in this mess, I want players that will play hard every game

237. By Larry on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

We need a decent CB in FA,or forget Kalil in the draft and take Claibourne.

238. By David Rainey on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Stupidity in spades. You don’t want a rookie protecting a great quarterback. Clearly the Vikes will do nothing for the offensive line. Getting good receivers is useless if the QB doesn’t have the time to throw the ball. The Vikings are a team with no leadership anywhere. I couldn’t be more disappointed.

239. By Nicholas on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

What a joke this team is. Not going after ANYBODY so far. Worst team in the NFL for the next several years here we come.

240. By Rick on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Well from the looks of things after day 1 of FA maybe the vikings are on the 12 year plan. First move they should make is sign eric winston at rt and why not loadholt is terrible and always will be he is a huge slow dumb animal i think the guard situation in mn will work itself out and drafting Kalil should be the final touches on a decent O line. They need to make a move on Landry right now to help out the secondary then release some of the clowns they have playing the safety position and i think if they can sign or draft a decent cb along with a reciever they should be on the right path but with speilmen in charge i’m expecting another failed year of trying to bring talent to the team 4-12 at best this year

241. By Kristofer Debenedictis on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

where do i start, charlie johnnson is absolutely god awful, fusco is a 5th round pick and plays like one, and Phil loadholt was the biggest mistake the vikings ever made besides Hershel Walker, hes the slowest tackle ive ever seen and gets beat every time hes speed rushed with no signs of improvement, GREAT PLAN mike ur suggestions are worse than our front office.

242. By Larry on Mar 15, 2012 | Reply

Nothing against Carlson.But by the time we are done rebuilding,AP will be past his prime.Then we will be rebuilding again.

243. By Craig on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Ya I agree with your plan but when do we see the spending on the WR’s. Whos left worth spending money on now?

244. By TWB-Vikings on Mar 18, 2012 | Reply

I hope Mike is correct and things can workout for the Vikings Offensive Line. Time certainly will tell. That said; the Vikings still haven’t replaced Sidney Rice from a year ago, an in my opinion don’t really have any depth at the WR position. The team hasn’t addressed the defensive backfield either. I saw a defensive backfield last year who could not compete. I understand that they were young – but as a group they were simply terrible. There are only so many draft choices and the better free agents are being gobbled up. I don’t feel that the Vikings were very competitive last year – with the expectations that the Division is going to be even tougher this year, I worry about the compete level in 2012

2. Mar 26, 2012: Vikings Blog | Vikings Beef Up Offensive Line Competition «