Vikings Release 3 Veterans

Posted by Mike Wobschall on March 10, 2012 – 2:47 pm

The Vikings on Saturday announced the release of 3 veteran players – CB Cedric Griffin and OGs Anthony Herrera and Steve Hutchinson.

“It was a tough decision as we move forward and prepare for the upcoming season and the future of our organization,” Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier said. “All three individuals have meant a great deal to the Vikings organization both on and off field over the years. We wish all of them the best and thank them for their service to the Minnesota Vikings.”

All 3 players had been core members of the team for the past several seasons and played key roles in the team winning back-to-back division titles in 2008 and 2009 as well as making a run to the NFC Championship Game after the 2009 season. It’s likely that a combination of factors – clearing salary cap room, performance and rebuilding the roster – factored into the decisions to part ways with the players.

We’ll have more reaction to these moves and analysis and what it means for the future of the Vikings soon.

Tags: , , ,

64 Responses to “Vikings Release 3 Veterans”

1. By Kainegotswag on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

This is a great move in moving forward! Good luck to all that had to be cut!

2. By Mike B. on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Obviously these players did not want to restructure their contracts. I don’t think any of the three are going to get better deals on the market. I hoped Hutch would have restructured. The team is going to look a lot younger.

3. By Purplefailure on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Ugh. Hutch… Can’t wait to see Charlie Johnson fail at trying to fill your shoes! You have the cash, time to go get yourself a ring.

4. By jv3rnon on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Thank you Hutchinson and Herrera for your services. Remi Ayodele should be on there also. If they resign Erin Henderson what are they gonna do with Everson Griffen? He is to good not to start rather at DE or LB. Maybe he can play ILB or Erin moves to ILB and Griffen plays WLB. Well i’m a die-hard Vikings fan and hopefully we can things moving and be a contenders soon.

5. By Carl on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Well i guess this means we will have more roster space and more cap space. I just hope we will pursue a few free agents such as WR Robert Meachum, OG’s Carl Nicks, Ben Grubbs, Vernon Carey. Any of these three would make a nice addition at the LG spot to put between Matt Kalil LT and John Sullvin C. I also would hope they would pursue CB’s Aaron Ross,Tracy Porter, Richard Marshall. Also i would like to see Vikings enquire about NT Paul Soliai or Aubrayo Franklin. Then build through the draft around some of these pieces.

6. By SucksToSuck on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

well…. right when I thought our offensive line couldnt get any worse… now we just have 2 below average tackles and an average center who can’t even stay healthy for a whole season. Might as well mark us down for last place in the division already baby!!

7. By Mike B. on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

I agree Remi Ayodele should have been on that list and I might add Charlie Johnson. I don’t think either did anything to help the Vikings last year.

8. By Mike B. on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

@ S2S There was no way the team was going to take the 7M hit for Hutch this year. It also made since about Ced and Herrera both didn’t meet up to the money the team was paying them.

9. By Shawn on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

229 games started as Vikings between those 3. Good luck.

The rumors for the last month have been true and if rumors continue to be true we should see Vincent Jackson and Brandon Carr or Courtalnd Finnegan at winter park Tuesday night or Wednesday morning …. hopefull 2 of those names dont leave.

10. By Carl K on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Jv3 – Erin could move to MLB and Everson could play OLB. Just a thought.

Carl – I think C Johnson will move to LG when we draft Kalil.
    Kalil – Johnson – Sully – Fusco – Loadholt

11. By Mike B. on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Hutch could end up with the Ravens and give them a superbowl run

12. By sandiamond on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

shawn haha hope you are right but two of three pickups seems far-fetched

13. By Shawn on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Mike B … LOL could you imagine McKinnie – Hutch – Birk winning a ring in Baltimore. 2 of them deserve a ring and because the other was a Viking I still root for him as well

14. By Shawn on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

sandiamond … :) isnt that what the offseason is all about? restoring hope ? :)

15. By Carl K on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Shawn – I think we now should have about 25 mil cap space.
    V Jax might get over 10 mil
    Erin Henderson 4-5 mil
    Carr or Finnegan will be 8-10 mil

That will not gives us enough room to sign a veteran TE, veteran QB or room to sign our rookies we draft.

16. By Mike B. on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

@Carl K Do you think we need to hire a Vet QB. We have a Vet QB and coach as our OC.

17. By Mike B. on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

@Carl K I didn’t think the team was looking to rehire Shank or even look at a Vet TE. I think they are fine with 2 already on the roster and a low round draft pick at TE this year.

18. By Shawn on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

sandiamond … because this team was so bad last year, i wouldnt mind seeing us just get 1 big name and a couple second tier guys.

WR- Vincent Jackson. Since we already have a second tier WR (Jenkins) and Percy(who I consider 1st tier) we need to go big here.

CB- Eric “Eazy-E” Wright. Our secondary was so bad that Wright might not be Elite but he would be better than any corner we had in the last 1/2 of the season last year. AKA Upgrade

DB- Richard Marshall. Again not Elite but an Upgrade. FS or corner

OLB- Erin Henderson.

That would be 4 Free Agent starters.

I dont think even Spielman can mess up round 1 this year.

LT- Matt Kalil … day 1 through year 12+ starter

2nd round … depends on free agency if we get elite WR than we draft a DB Baron or Harrison but if we get elite DB than we draft a WR Hill or about 5 others projected to be here

19. By schladerade on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

LOADHOALT NEXT PLEEEEEASSSe! tired of watching that lazy good for nothing false starting fat boy!

20. By Carl K on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Mike – Who is our veteran QB? Webb? Ponder? Sage is unsigned.
    I agree we could get by with 2 QB on the roster, many teams do it.
    Yes, we could also get by with the young TEs we have. I am cool with that.
    But we will need to save money to sign Kalil. The #3 pick is not cheap.

21. By Shawn on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

2012 projected starters

LT- Kalil …. Major Upgrade from 2011

LG- Johnson … untill he actually does it I wont expect anything Id say its even at best

C- Sully … Even

RG- IMO competition is going to give us at minimum slightly better. DeGeare, Fusco, Berger. I think its an upgrade just because Herrera wasnt a 16 game starter

RT- Loadholt … well Im guessing he gets a little better since he is a good run blocker

22. By Shawn on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Carl K … the new CBA made a rookie wage scale so the #3 pick will be a lot cheaper than the old days

23. By Mike B. on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

@Carl K. I think that the vikings will pick up TE in lower part of the draft. We need a #3 QB, but I am not sure we need a Vet in that spot or maybe pick up someone with potential in the undrafted pool.

24. By Shawn on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Carl K … last year there were no rookie hold outs because the compensation is already set basically, just a few other ancillary things to work out.

25. By Mike B. on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

I think that Ponder is #1 QB and the Vikings will stick with Webb as #2. I don’t think they will use him as much in Wildcat as last year. This is assuming they pick up a top notch WR in FA.

26. By sandiamond on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

27. By sandiamond on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

28. By sandiamond on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

29. By Mike B. on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

I guess with Ced gone that chances are we will stick with Cook if he comes out of his legal issues.

30. By Carl K on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Shawn – I agree – but the top 51 salaries count towards the cap. Kalil will get a contract that will most certainly be one of our top 51. I am not sure how much it will be but we need to account for it. Does any one no what the #3 pick last year signed for?

31. By Shawn on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

On July, 29, 2011,DT Marcell Dareus signed a 4 year deal with the Bills worth $20.4 million

So your right carl k a 5 million dollar contract needs to be considered

32. By Carl K on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

I would love to land B Carr and V Jax. I would flip out if that were to happen!

I know how tough it is to sign 1 top free agent. Trying to sign 2 at the same time… not going to happen.

33. By Shawn on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

maybe TE Dallas Clark comes to Minnesota … since he knows Frazier and Williams … and we need a vet TE

or more likely he follows Peyton and Reggie Wayne

34. By Shawn on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

I agree Carl k … I want VJax. because after him I think the others start to have question marks

WR- Colston … between knee issues and questions about him being a product of Saints and Brees offense

WR- Garcon … I guess he drops a few and hasnt had 1000 yards yet so could he be a BB?

Laurent Robinson … Is he another BB?

but at DB

we were so bad we could get a couple for the price of Carr or Finnegan

35. By sandiamond on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Fred Jones needed on the push. Skol!!!!!! fans request( two) CB(WR) and/or OG free agent(2nd tier) signings before they slip away to other teams next Wednesday

Spielman work the phones!!!!!

36. By Mike B. on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

I think the move by Washington makes the Vikings #3 pick a no brainer and they take Matt Kalil

37. By sandiamond on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

wobschall the fans demand the signing of at least two free agents (1st,2nd,3rd tier) not including the hendersons by next week. What has the front office told ?

38. By Shawn on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Anyone remember Chilly’s first FA signings?

TE – Shiacoe
    LB – Ciurciu (sp? )
    LB – Leber

I was baffled but … Leber and Shiancoe as 2nd or 3rd tier guys really help build a foundation for a couple good teams

one great team that was robbed by those cheaters in NO

39. By Carl K on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

I agree Shawn – I don’t like the WRs outside of V Jax… but I do like Aromashadu and what the draft has to offer. V Jax or bust!

I also like our own Brandon Burton and I think Cook might be back (thank you miss Baker). I aslo like the CBs in this draft class.

Richard Marshall would be a nice sign at a good price. It would give us the opition to draft SS Harrison Smith in round 2.

40. By Erik the Red on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

I agree that the Vikings should look at Finnegan, but after that fight with Andre Johnson, I think he is an a-hole. I don’t like him, lol.

41. By John Cook on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Hutchinson,will be missed.Thanks for your hard work!

42. By Shawn on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Is it Tuesday yet?

43. By Mike B. on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Not yet Shawn.

44. By J.Mahan on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Load of S___ is worthless, he couldn’t block my grandma. He needs to go!!!!!!

45. By vikings4seven on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Tough decision my ass. This should just be the first 3 of many more still to come. You can add Winfield, T. johnson, cook, E. henderson, etc. Why did we have to win that game at washington! Could be us loading up on 3 first rounders and a second.

46. By Shawn on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Heres some Falcon fans with nothing but good things to say about MLB Curtis Lofton

I hope our front office is smarter than me ( yea yea yea I know ) because if Lofton is on his way up and at 25 you’d think he is …. WE NEED HIM

47. By Gary on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

The release of 2 OL just may result in the drafting of a second OL. As early as second round if it is a “too good to pass up” guy or maybe use a compensatory pick or round 5 to take the best of whoever is out there

48. By KoN on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

I like the idea of picking up two 2nd or 3rd tier CB free agents and a relatively cheap 1st or 2nd tier WR. I don’t like the idea of V Jax. He’s a great player, but he is going to ask for so uch money, especially since he will most definetely be the product of a bidding war. Also, we don’t need to add a 29 year-old WR when we’re going for a youth movement. I say we go after someone like Meachem, Manningham or Garcon. They may not be as good as V Jax, but I would rather have a pretty good player for 7-9 years than an really good one for 3-5. Look at the Packer’s recieving corps; no one exceptional, but no one bad either.

49. By Ashley Pate on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Some of you guys need to show some maturity and class.
    You need to wish good luck to all 3 guys.
    Good Luck to all of the guys that don’t come back next year!!

50. By snags on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

carl nicks, curtis lofton and laron landry would bring our team back to where it needs to be

51. By Spencer on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Ashley- the only player I’ll wish good luck to is Hutch. The rest can kick rocks for all I care.

52. By Mike B. on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

@Ashley Pate well said. Good luck thanks for providing us good memories.

53. By Rogerthevikefan on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

A couple more players could be released on Monday. Remi is on the top of that list.

54. By Rogerthevikefan on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

Good chance CB Kelvin Hayden signs with Vikings being a former Colt. Don’t sign a top tier Wr this year. Percy’s contract will be up soon so save the money and get him an extension.

55. By Rogerthevikefan on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

FA CB Carr or Marshall. Resign Erin Henderson. Draft R1 LT M. Kalil, R2 WR Stephen Hill (may need to trade up), R3 CB Josh Norman, R4 LB M. Kendricks (pick could be traded to move up for Hill), 1stCR4 DT Akiem Hicks, 2ndCR4 OT/OG Andrew Datko, R5 WR A.J. Jenkins, R6 CB Cliff Harris, R7 BPA.

56. By sandiamond on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

Roger a rumor or wishful thinking?

2011 16 games played started 13 / 4 solo tackles / 0 pass def / 0 forced fumbles. He must be a flat-footed 6’2 D tackle. Nfl Qb’s just wizz the ball right over his head with ease

57. By DaVikings on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

The beginning of the end, and what about Loadholt? He couldn’t block my grandmother1

58. By Rogerthevikefan on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

Wishful thinking. But Remi has not preformed up to his contract. Jimmy Kennedy was better for the same amount of money.

59. By Rogerthevikefan on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

Judgeing from what Spielman been saying I could see a couple more guys leaving. Personally I hate Remi for being a former dirtbag I mean Saint.

60. By AaronA on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

All we need is a decent cornerback, then spend some dough on a top free agent. Peyton Manning would be a vet to have for Ponder to develop.

61. By Rogerthevikefan on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

Manning can’t mentor

62. By 13stesoy on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

I am fine with the Vikings releasing griffin and Herrera, but assuming we get Kalil, hutchinson would be a Good mentor for the rookie. Now Kalil will have to learn the ropes on his own.

63. By ハンドバッグ 雑貨 on Nov 1, 2013 | Reply

I am extremely inspired along with your writing skills as well as with the
    structure to your weblog. Is this a paid subject or did you modify it yourself?
    Either way keep up the nice high quality writing, it’s uncommon to peer a great weblog like
    this one these days..