Seeing Double? A Closer Look At USC’s Pro Day

Posted by Mike Wobschall on March 8, 2012 – 3:38 pm

We take a break from free agency coverage here on the vikings.com Blog to talk NFL draft. Specifically, we’re going to take a closer look at the University of Southern California’s pro day, largely because LT Matt Kalil performed for scouts and is expected to be taken by the Vikings at #3, but also because there’s another USC Trojan that I’d like to see wind up playing for the Purple – DE Nick Perry.

We’ll start with Kalil, who is widely regarded as the best LT in this year’s draft class and who is the odds-on favorite to end up in Minnesota, assuming QBs Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III go 1st and 2nd, in some order. We posted a video provided to us by NFL Network on the home page of vikings.com, but I also wanted to go over the information here on the blog because it will generate some good discussion among readers and fans.

NFL Network’s Bucky Brooks was at the USC pro day and came away impressed with Kalil’s performance.

“I think he had an outstanding workout,” Brooks said. “I think he confirmed what we saw at the NFL Combine. He’s a fantastic left tackle, he’s a great technician, he has outstanding athleticism, the balance, the body control, the strength, you see all of those things when he works out.”

If drafted by the Vikings, Kalil will be called upon to protect QB Christian Ponder. But Brooks noted that one of the most impressive parts of Kalil’s pro day performance was his performance in running-game drills.

“I thought what was interesting when I looked at him [was] during the running game drills,” Brooks explained. “He has the ability to move in space. You can see that he can fit into a zone-based scheme that puts a premium on his ability to get out and lead block and make adjustments at the second level.

“I think there’s not a major, glaring weakness in his game and because of that, I think he’s safely atop the board as the number one offensive tackle.”

That’s all good news for the Vikings, in my opinion, because I expect Luck and RG3 to indeed go 1-2, which means Kalil will be on the board when the Vikings are on the clock at #3.

Aside from Brooks, NFL Network also had analysts Charley Casserly and Charles Davis comment on Kalil. As part of their analysis, a graphic appeared on the screen displaying a list of the LTs drafted in the Top 5 since 2007. The names on the list were: Trent Williams (Wash – 2010), Jason Smith (St. Louis – 2009), Jake Long (Mia – 2008), Joe Thomas (Cleve – 2007) and Levi Brown (Ari – 2007).

Casserly, who said Thomas was the best player on the list, said Kalil compared most to Williams in terms of athleticism, and he also said Kalil was a safer pick than Williams. Casserly was mostly positive on Kalil, saying he had no glaring weaknesses and should play for 10 years. Davis was also positive on Kalil.

“I like Matt Kalil a lot,” Davis commented, “[He] reminds me of his brother (Panthers C Ryan Kalil) in terms of movement skills…I thought both of them, at their respective Combines, showed their movement skills very well. Very light on their feet, very athletic.”

As for Perry, he’s an athletic DE who really looked good to me at the Combine. Having the 35th overall pick, the Vikings will be on the clock early in the 2nd round and I think they’ll have multiple players with 1st-round grades still on the board. I’m hoping Perry is one of them because he would add depth to the defensive line. While that’s not a position of need necessarily, I’m never against adding talent to the roster and I think Perry has a ton of talent.

“When I look at him, the things that I like [are] great first-step quickness, very explosive in the short area, can bend and burst and can do the things that you want to see from your pass rush,” Brooks said.

Brooks said Perry didn’t hurt his draft stock during the pro day and he expects most teams to grade him as a late 1st-round or early 2nd-round prospect; Casserly agreed. Davis, on the other hand, wondered aloud of teams in need of a pass rush might push Perry higher on their draft boards, resulting in Perry going in the late stages of the 1st round.

Overall, the USC pro day was good news for me because Kalil impressed observers and because Perry didn’t seem to jump off the charts at people, meaning he may slide a touch to the late stages of the 1st round. I came away from the Combine thinking the Vikings would have a nice find with Perry if he was available at #35, and I’ve come away from the USC pro day thinking that possibility was still in play. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not “all-in” on Perry, I just think he’s one of many good potential options for the Vikings at #35.

What do you think, Vikings fans? Let us know by sharing your thoughts in the comments section below this entry.

157 Responses to “Seeing Double? A Closer Look At USC’s Pro Day”

1. By @cjbleything on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Kalil in the 1st yes. But ill take kendall wright, ashlon jeffery, or Stephen hill at the top of the second.

2. By @cjbleything on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Or even janoris jenkins if he can stay clean. But with the cook trial I expect the vikes to stay away

3. By Spencer *Day 4 Of Trial* on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Interesting. A female soccer goalie out of LSU wants to try out for the football team as a kicker. I say why not, let the women get a chance. And on top of that, shes pretty attractive.

4. By Spencer *Day 4 Of Trial* on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

No surprise here. Anthony Herrera is ranked as the 28th worst Right Guard out of 32.

5. By Spencer *Day 4 Of Trial* on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

6. By GrandDaddyPurp on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Kalil? Obviously Yes.
    Perry? NO. 1.) I think he might be a little undersized. 2.) and this is the biggest reason, I feel we can address a different position with the 35th pick

7. By GrandDaddyPurp on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

So with Hutch not coming back I think the chances of Landing Carl Nicks has increased

8. By Mike on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

I don’t care how promising a talent Perry is – DE should not be addressed with the 35th pick. The Vikes need a DB in the worst way. Address that glaring need with that pick.

9. By ibleedpurple on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

I’m all in on Kalil. Protecting the QB is our number one concern. As for Perry, I’ll pass at 35th. I completely agree with Mike, we need to focus on DB’s in the worst way.

10. By GrandDaddyPurp on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Cornerback, Safety, Linebacker, Wide Receiver before we get a defensive end

11. By GrandDaddyPurp on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Considering the amount of depth at the Cornerback and Reciever positions in this draft. We should not pick either of those positions with the 25th pick

rd 1- OT
    rd 2- S
    rd 3- CB
    rd 4- WR
    rd 4- DT
    rd 5- DB
    rd 6- DB
    rd 7- OL
    rd 7- DB
    rd 7-OL/DB depth

Thats 10 picks as i was told we would have. An extra in the 4th and i’m assuming the other 2 will be in the 7th. Please correct me if I’m wrong on that.

12. By GrandDaddyPurp on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Excuse me 35th pick. Not 25th.

Pardon the error there

13. By vikings4seven on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Kalil is a solid bet at #1 for us. I still think that there is some depth with safeties in this draft that would serve us better than a CB at this point. Our safety play is beyond terrible. So many holes to fill. Would love to see us make a strong play for colston. With Brees being upset with the saints, this could be a good time to snag a great WR who may be questioning his QB in the future.

14. By GrandDaddyPurp on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

After the top 2 safeties there is a HUGE drop in value at that position. I feel grabbing one of those two would be smart. Mark Barron at pick 35

15. By Parody on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

DE is one of our last needs. We have two of the best in the league as it is. Allen is #1 overall in sacks and Robison had enough to tie him at 29th. Remove the ten LBs who are on the list in front of him, we have the #1 and #19 DEs in the league. Not to mention, Everson Griffen was viewed as first-round talent (justifiably so after we’ve seen what he does on special teams). So I don’t think we should be drafting an end any earlier than a 4th-round compensatory pick for depth…and that still feels too early to me.

16. By GrandDaddyPurp on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

With Fraizer saying we will play more man coverage I dont feel we need Stephen Gilmore or Chase Minnifield as much as I previously thought.

17. By Parody on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

GDP – It hasn’t been determined yet. The NFL owners have a meeting, I think some time in early April to decide how to distribute the compensatory pics. However, I think that we’ll be getting two compensatory picks in the 4th round, or possibly a 4th- and 3rd-rounder. (Here’s hoping!)

18. By Parody on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Oh, and we don’t have a 6th rounder – we traded that away for Donny Mac.

19. By GrandDaddyPurp on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Parody- one more solid DE would not be a bad idea. We can have a 4 man front with only DE’s like the Giants run. But i agree we should not address it in rounds 1-6 In my opinion.

20. By GrandDaddyPurp on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Parody- Thanks for clearing that up I wasnt completely sure on that. An Extra 3rd and 4th round pick would be awesome.

21. By Parody on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

GDP – Barron would be a great pickup in the 2nd round, but most mocks I’ve looked at recently have him going in the mid-first round. Iloka or Harison Smith might be good grabs though.

22. By Parody on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

The issue creating speculation against that third rounder is that none of the top 3 starters who signed with other teams (Rice, Edwards, Jackson) produced as well as they were expected to.

23. By GrandDaddyPurp on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Either way I’d be satisfied if it was just 2 4th rounders.

24. By PTviking on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Parody – I say Harrison Smith!
    Post-combine position rankings for 2012 NFL Draft By Mike Mayock
    Safety

1. Mark Barron, Alabama
    2. Harrison Smith, Notre Dame
    3. Brandon Taylor, LSU
    4. DeQuan Menzie, Alabama
    5. Phillip Thomas, Syracuse

New entry: Menzie, Taylor
    Out: Boise State’s George Iloka, Oklahoma State’s Markelle Martin

25. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Kalil in the first round would be fantastic…Perry isn’t on my wish list in the second round at all…Perry is too muscular…Players that have muscles that pronounced seem to tear pectoral muscles and hamstrings too easily…There’s such a thing as being to rock hard in football…And that’s how I see Perry…Vikings have many area of need they can go in the second round…But I don’t see going for a DE as being one of them…CB,WR,DT. or maybe even LB in the second round…Vikes have pressure players on the outside on defense…They need help with pressure coming from the inside now…Very good DT’s in this class…I wouldn’t be surprised if the Vikings grabbed one one the DT’s in the second round…

26. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

I did see a little guy at the combine that reminds me of Wes Welker kind of receiver…Only 5′ 9″ tall..187 lbs soaking wet…Devon Wylie…Projected around the 4th round…Just like what I saw from this young guy at the combine…Just was reading a column where a guy gave him the W Welker look a like also….: )

Wylie is fast…And can return punts and kick offs also…

27. By Mike B. on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Hutch has got to realize that no team is going to pay a 34yo LG 7 million esp after the year he had last. I suspect that he may accept an offer for much less money but finishes his career in Minneasota. I think a 3 yr deal at 9 to 12mil is not out of the question.

28. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

There is a guy listed as a OLB/DE in the draft that reminds me a lot of an old Vikings DE C Hovan…Shea McClellin is a very solid OLB…And had a great senior bowl and combine…McClellin shined at MLB in senior bowl practices..

29. By Spencer *Day 4 Of Trial* on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

The first police officer to arrive at Chris Cook’s Eden Prairie townhome in the early hours of Oct. 22 testified that he responded to a shirtless “jacked up” Cook, while a sobbing young woman sat on the living room floor, her nose bloodied.

Officer Matthew Schmidt testified during the Minnesota Viking’s trial for felony domestic assault and third-degree assault that he had barely exited his squad car at about 1:30 a.m. when he heard yelling and screaming that “anybody would recognize as someone in distress.” He said he ran toward the door of Cook’s home and could see him through a window in the entryway.

Schmidt testified Cook ignored his orders to open the locked door and only did so when Schmidt threatened to kick it down. Once inside, he saw Cook’s then-girlfriend Chantel Baker, sobbing hysterically and clutching her left ear. Fearing for Baker’s safety, he ordered her outside, while he attempted to calm down an angry Cook.

“I guess I would use the term ‘jacked up,'” Schmidt testified of the Viking’s cornerback’s demeanor. “His muscles were flexed, he was agitated, clearly very emotional about something.”

30. By Spencer *Day 4 Of Trial* on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Things arent looking to bright now.

31. By OTKalil2012 on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Hutch I think will either retire..Or be released…Vikings should have plenty of O-line to cover the guard position…Vikings have DeGeare,Fusco (who Spielman loves).D Love,Berger, and most likely C Johnson will move to guard if Kalil is picked in the draft…They even have a new guard 2nd year OL Valdez listed on the practice squad the team picked up late last season…

32. By Parody on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Really, Hutchinson is coming off of two bad years. Memory tells me that he finished both of the last two seasons on IR. Not something you want from your starting linemen. Those are guys that you expect to be able to take a beating a beg for more. He’s going to be earning less money this year. The only question now is, for which team?

33. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

AH, the truth is coming out. Spencer, you better find another hero. How about Jared Allen or Adrian Peterson?

34. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

I had to chuckle at the quote by the paramedic who said he couldn’t say with certainty that the wounds were caused by choking. He’s a paramedic, his job is to give aid to the victim, not play forensic detective. Crook is going down.

35. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

If I remember right, Hovan was rather ineffectual. Could be that he was well overshadowed by Randle McDaniel. Not easy to stand out when you play along side that beast.

36. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Kind of like how people view Robison last year – he appeared to take every play off when you compare him to JA.

But I DO recall all the NFL analysts calling him Chris WHO-van?

37. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Northwoods, McDaniel was an OL, Hovan was a defensive tackle. They never played “alongside each other.

38. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Sorry, John Randle. Too many Randles in that era, too many tasty beer treats tonight.

39. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

John Randle, Randle McDaniel, Randle Cunningham………Randle Moss….

40. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

After a few beers, it’s hard to get a handle on that Randle.

41. By Spencer *Day 4 Of Trial* on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

As of now Winfield and Asher Allen will most likely be our starting CBs. All of our corners are going to get man handled because theyre all 5’10 and below.

Qbs and Wrs will once again be licking their chops while preparing for us.

I do not want to hear anybody complainin next year when #1 Wrs light us up and have mind-numbing stats. Name one corner who can guard a #1 Wr on this roster.

42. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Maybe too many beers cause it was ED McDaniel, not Randle McDaniel.

43. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

You don’t want to hear ” Guilty as charged, your Honor” either, but you’re going to.

44. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Randall McDaniel was an offensive guard

45. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Ed was a LB.

46. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

During jury selection, the prosecution asked, “Do you watch the Vikings on Sundays?’

47. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

There WAS a Randle McDaniel, wasn’t there? Or am I thinking of the guy with the curly hair and long shoes that sells cruddy hamburgers.

48. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Like I said, there were too many Randles and daniels. Hope Spielman does a better job sorting this out.

49. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Oh yeah, OG.

50. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

On Wikipedia, it says Randall McDaniel works as a basic skills instructor with second graders in one of our more affluent suburbs.

51. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Oh well….I’m starting to really look forward to next season. Can’t wait to hear who we acquire in FA and the draft.

52. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

If we have terrible corners next year, you will hear me complain, and guess who’s fault it will be….Chris Crook.

53. By Spencer *Day 4 Of Trial* on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Cook has everything working against him.

But its okay. Im looking forward to Winfield and A.Allen shutting down Megatron. I believe these corners can become the best Cb duo in the league next year.

54. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Talk to you guys later. My incredibly hot wife has intentions of taking advantage of my weakened moral status.

55. By vikings4life on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

There is the perfect stat that they showed today on the NFL Network. It showed the last 5 OT taken in the top 5 they were: 2010-Trent Williams(4th Washinton), 2009 Jason Smith(2nd Rams, BUST but the rams wont be fooled into taking another OT in top 5 cause thats NEVER where rebuilding starts.) 2008 Jake Long(1st dolphins)2007 Joe Thomas (3rd Browns) 2007 Levi Brown (5th Cardinals). Every team besides the cardinals who were in a weak division before the emergence of the 49’s, HAS NOT MADE THE PLAYOFFS IN THE LAST 3 YEARS. Matt Kalil can be as good as Jake Long and most say he is not but that isnt not going to help the Vikings win games. TRADE BACK PLEASE GET MORE PICKS AND TAKE MICHAEL FLOYD LATE FIRST ROUND. HE IS FROM MINNESOTA AND IS AMAZING. BRING HIM HOME!

56. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Why the hel1 shouldn’t we complain next year if we blew a draft pick on a cheap hood ?

57. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

I read Peyton wants to stay in the AFC. Oh well.

58. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

You don’t get it do you Spence? If our DBs stink next year, the person most responsible is Crook himself.

59. By Viking-ology on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Kalil is the obvious pick @ # 3.

60. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

( Defense Attorney )…..”Your Honor, I think that Mr. Crook should be found not guilty, otherwise our corners will stink next year “…..HAHAHAAHAHAHAHHA!!!

61. By Viking-ology on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Asher Allen, really (not impressive)

62. By Viking-ology on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

C’mon your honor, have you seen our corners?

63. By Spencer *Day 4 Of Trial* on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

If Cooks girl wasnt talkin to her ex, we wouldnt be in the mess.

64. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

( Defense Attorney )…..”Your Honor, the defense is willing to trade a 2nd round draft pick in return for a not guilty verdict”…….HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!

65. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Yeah, what a terrible thing to do.

66. By Viking-ology on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

HaHa-Nova!

67. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Should be a crime punishable by lethal injection, talking to someone.

68. By Spencer *Day 4 Of Trial* on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

He was provoked. His girl was a violent drunken mess. I hope she gets arrested.

69. By vikings4life on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Viking-ology Just because ESPN tells you and NFL Network tells you Kalil is the pick doesnt mean a thing. the vikings need more then one player. I mean in our division of all the divisions in the league. Defense is most important in ours because of rodgers,cutler,stafford how can anyone who has herd the vikings say they will not spend big to try and get a top tier CB or defensive player in general. How does this team upgrade its secondary then?

70. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

A little bitter, are we Spence?

71. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Spence, don’t waste your time on Law School.

72. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Spencer, one day you will mature into a fine human being and realize we are provoked every day– it’s just most of us have the self-control to make choices that do not result in bodily harm.

73. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Spencer is already a lawyer, Nova. He got his JD online.

74. By Spencer *Day 4 Of Trial* on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Kind of hard to maintain self control when the women you were days from proposing to is throwing fists, and lamps at you.

75. By Spencer *Day 4 Of Trial* on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

He was just about to settle down and marry his true love, but little did he know his women was going behind his back.

76. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

From ” Big Al’s Guar-an-teed sure-fire hot-d@mn school of doctering and lawyering ! ( $39.95 + s=h).

77. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

I think you mean woman, but since it was a strip club, maybe he was going to propose to the entire staff.

78. By Viking-ology on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Vikings4life-And you beleive what the Vikings are saying about FA? Don’t you think deception is the route the Vikings are choosing to throw other teams off their real interests?

79. By Viking-ology on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Hey, I ran out of dollar bills. Quick give me one before her nips leave my view-I think I want to marry her!!!!!!!

80. By Spencer *Day 4 Of Trial* on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

We are not getting any notable free agents. Nobody wants to play for us. Our big ‘splash’ last year was Michael Jenkins.

81. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

HAHAHAHAHAAHHAA VO !

82. By Viking-ology on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Spencer calm down. We will get at least two decent FA.

83. By Viking-ology on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

I’m guessing a WR and a CB

84. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

( Crook )…….” Your Honor, I even had the ring in my pocket “. ( Judge )….Yes, but Mr. Crook, it was a n1pple ring “.

85. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

” And you got it off a stripper”.

86. By Spencer *Day 4 Of Trial* on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Enough with the Cook jokes. He is still a Minnesota Viking.

87. By Viking-ology on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Your right your honor, but it’s only in safe keeping on her n1pple until she gets it sized for her finger.

88. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

And soon to be wearing orange. And I don’t mean the Denver Broncos, if you get my drift.

89. By Viking-ology on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

It gives a whole new meaning to the term “nip & tuck”

90. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

JD online courses at Perry Mason Institute. Graduate in three weeks.

91. By Viking-ology on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

But the color will be Denver Bronco orange.

92. By Spencer *Day 4 Of Trial* on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

If Cook serves 30 days in jail, that should give him more than enough time to work himself back into shape.

93. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

( Crook )….. “Your Honor, do I get any say as to where I am going to be incarcerated”……( Judge )……” Why do you ask, Mr. Crook “?…….( Crook )….Well, I’d like to go to one that has peelers”.

94. By Spencer *Day 4 Of Trial* on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

For the start of the season.

95. By Viking-ology on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

It worked for Vick.

96. By Viking-ology on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Sorry Cook, you misunderstood me, I said incinerated not incarcerated!

97. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

What season ? The Vikes will dump his sorry @ss.

98. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

He’ll be lucky to get a job bouncing at that peeler bar.

99. By Viking-ology on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Poor Alfalfa, poor poor Alfalfa.

100. By Spencer *Day 4 Of Trial* on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Its sad that the Vikings Front Office has to appease to the fans.

101. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

If you mean “appease the fans”, it’s even sorrier that they wasted a draft pick on that hood.

102. By Viking-ology on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

C’mon Spencer, were just messing with you. Don’t get all “choked up!”

103. By Spencer *Day 4 Of Trial* on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Well im off here. I wont be back till the trials over. I dont feel like talking to Packer fans anymore.

104. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Happy International Women’s Day Spence !!!!!!

105. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

By the way Spence, I was a Viking fan when your best traits were flowing down your mother’s leg.

106. By Viking-ology on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Spencer-you want an example of a real warrior that represents our team-Percy Harvin. That kid takes a beating and somehow manages to play week in week out.

107. By Viking-ology on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

When a Viking fan says: I hope the Vikings win a SB in my lifetime…
    A) They are getting up in years and are getting desperate.
    B) They have endured season after season of heartbreak and despair for a very long time.

108. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

VO………since /68.

109. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

I’m C)….All of the above.

110. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

C) They can read and know the history of the Vikings.

111. By Nicholas on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

@Vikings4life

I do not believe that the Vikings will have much leverage @ the #3 overall spot to trade back when/if the Rams trade out of the #2 overall spot. Sure, I’d love to see us acquire more picks…but I don’t know if anyone will be desperate enough to give up picks for any other position besides the top tier QBs.

Personally I don’t mind taking a chance on a potential Franchise LT that can keep Chr1st1an Ponder and/or Joe Webb upright for the next decade.

112. By Viking-ology on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

And I, like some other fellow bloggers on here apply to this…year after year after year, after all the years of misery, we always find ourselves hoping…maybe next year.

113. By Nicholas on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Then again, I did read an article about how the recent release of Matt Flynn and Peyton Manning may help the Vikings. If Manning and Flynn both go to QB hungry teams, it will take away leverage from the Rams : )

114. By Viking-ology on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Vike’s fan circa ’74

115. By Nicholas on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Oh wait, Flynn wasn’t released….but he will be a FA. Sorry.

116. By Viking-ology on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Matt Flyyn-sniff sniff, smells like Kevin Kobb to me.

117. By Viking-ology on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

One game and he is a commodity? SUPPORT PONDER!!

118. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

I think we are fine at quarterback– just need supporting cast.

119. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

One huge game does not a superstar make, I agree.

120. By Viking-ology on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Full Moon Fever!

121. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

AMEN VO– we posted simultaneously; our minds are thinking the same. That kid needs confidence– that is all he needs– he has the skill set and brains.

122. By Viking-ology on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

We must have used the Vulcan mind-meld.

123. By Viking-ology on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Ponder will win X games this year.

124. By Nicholas on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

This article talks about Myron Rolle’s opinion that Ponder is a borderline genius. Really interesting and inspiring : ) However, this was written last summer right before the preseason game vs. tennessee. So please, disregard the mentioning of Donnovan McNabb lol.

I still support Ponder, and hope that he is successful : )

125. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Well, after midnight here, time to say goodnight, Sonja!……I hope Spence didn’t go away mad…….wait…….I don’t care !

126. By Viking-ology on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

I don’t mean 10 games-I mean X-games. I heard he wants g to go up against “The Flying Tomato.”

127. By Viking-ology on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

G-nite Nova, don’t forget to brush Sonja’s teeth!

128. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

I just slap some toothpaste on her Michael Vick chew toy !

129. By RP-ETF-MV on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

So, anyone read up on Chris Cook lately. I have… and I am pleased to say that the should not convict him, because the lady lied about being strangled. What caused the hemmoraging was knocked against the wall from a reflexive push away by cook after she was repeatedly hitting him the back fo the head. I do not know about you, but I believe the man is innocent.

130. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

RP-ETF-MV…..She says she lied to the cops. That makes her a liar. So what makes you think that she is telling the truth now? When should you believe a liar, especially after a phone call from the alleged attacker ” changed her mind “? She is obviously trying to protect him now. Whether that is for money, her own security or whatever, she is actually hurting his cause.

131. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

And those bruises didn’t get there from wearing a necklace too tight.

132. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

By Spencer *Day 4 Of Trial* on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply
    He was provoked. His girl was a violent drunken mess. I hope she gets arrested. ……Spencer, quit spewing garbage. Her blood/Alcohol level was 0.073, making her still legally able to operate a motor vehicle. How is that a “drunken mess”???????

133. By Parody on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

How long after the fight began did they give her a breathalizer? I’m sure that it was more than enough time for her levels to fall at least a couple tenths of a percent.

Regardless, everyone is affected differently by alcohol. My own personality changes pretty drastically even after just a couple of drinks. I become much more sociable and stop worrying about what other people think of me, so who’s to say that Chantal Baker (the GF) doesn’t become much more aggressive/violent after a couple of drinks?

134. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

Would you propose to a girl who gets physically violent after a couple of drinks?

135. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

I think they both had a few ( they were at a bar ), he got jealous, took her home and beat the cr@p out of her. I think that sort of thing has happened before in this world. The low breathalizer reading just tells me that she never really was that hammered.

136. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

She also said that she didn’t want to get out of the car at his place. I wonder why?

137. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

Best answer….put them both away, him for beating her up and her for misleading a police investigation.

138. By Carl K on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

Parody- We do have a 6th round pick. We acquired if from Cleveland. We also have 2 7round picks. Total of 8 picks plus 2 more comp picks to come.

139. By LarsonFamiliy on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

Griffin doesn’t appear interested in returning.

As the Vikings wait on the fate of one CB (Chris Cook) in court on an assualt charge, another’s fate may be clearer. At the end of the season, disgruntled CB Cedric Griffin cleaned out his locker. Four days later, according to 1500ESPN, he put his Minnesota home up for sale. Griffin is under contract and may be facing a restructuring to stay in Minnesota, but he doesn’t appear to be interested.

Minnesota Vikings RapidReports | All National Football League RapidReports

140. By LarsonFamiliy on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

I am glad Cedric is out of here!! He sucks!!

141. By LarsonFamiliy on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

Report: Manning not interested in Redskins
    by John Keim, CBSSports.com

ESPN 980’s Chris Russell reported that Peyton Manning is not interested in signing with the Redskins, citing his desire to play in a dome or warm-weather city and not in the same division as his brother Eli. The Washington Examiner reported that NFL sources said it was difficult for Manning to face his younger brother in the past.

142. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

Congratulations Larson, that’s the most coherent thing you’ve written……..oh, wait…….never mind.

Good job with the cut & paste, anyway!!!!

143. By Jim M on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

Prediction:Vikings don’t get a sniff of Kali, he goes to the Rams………

144. By Carl K on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

Jim – The Rams will get a very good offer for RG3.

145. By Jim M on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

Carl, have you looked at the tackles the Rams have to protect Bradford. According to their website, which may be in error, the have two guards slotted, one of which was picked up in 2011. Bradford needs more protection. What would you do, take a premier left tackle or draft picks? By the way with Manning in free agency, maybe the bidding won’t be that great.

146. By Jim M on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

Carl, Harvey, G, listed as starting LT, Picked up in 2011.
    Jason Brown, C, listed as starting RT.
    In Bradford’s two seasons, he was sacked 70 times and it looks like he missed playing in five games.
    It doesn’t to me that they are in that great of shape at the tackle positions.

147. By Jim M on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

Sorry::Mark LeVour, G, listed as LT.
    Harvey Dahl, G, RT.
    I hope I got it right now, their OL seems in disaray, they have a G playing C and a C playing G.

148. By Carl K on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

Jim- The Rams drafted LT Rodger Staffold with the 33 pick in 2010. He was hurt and place on IR at the end of the year. Staffold will be 100% by training camp and will be the Ram’s starting LT.

149. By Jim M on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

Carl, There’s some interesting Rams reading on the OL and especially OT. My opinion still is the Ram’s take the best player available because it’s Kali(OT). If Kali was not there, they probably take the trade. No doubt they will be offered a lot.

150. By Carl K on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

Sorry Jim, I hate to tell you I told you so, but the Rams have just traded the #2 pick to the Redskins.

Kalil will be a Viking!

151. By Jim M on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Carl, just saw that this a.m. It’s crazy, Washington gives up it’s next 3 first rounders(2012, 13 & 14) and this years 2nd round. Crazy…..

152. By Jim M on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Carl, an after thought. I find it interesting that Washington gave up so much after Holmgren said he wouldn’t part with his second first rounder.

153. By Erik the Red on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

To whoever it was that said defense mattered in the NFC North, just look at the Packers. They have a trash defense, but just because Rodgers gets the TD’s and yards to go with that, they win games. If the Vikings can make their defense at least decent after this off season, and completely overhaul the offense, then the Vikes could look to try and jump into that same boat at some point.

154. By Jeff on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Great teams are made up of great players. The Vikings have so many holes to fill that they need to simply take the best player on their board in each round of the draft. If that player in any round is cornerback, great, take a corner. If that player is a linebacker, take a linebacker. We can fill postions need through free agency with players that are proven commodities. Too often teams (including the Vikes) reach for a player just to fill a specific need.

As a side note, I am leary of the Vikings trading back to get additional picks. While this may be a great strategy for some teams, Rick Speilman has not proven he can draft well enough in the middle rounds to make these additional picks count. We are better off staying put and drafting higher in each round.

Go Vikings!

155. By sandiamond on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

hands? Free agent CB niners

156. By sandiamond on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

157. By 3DONTHERADIO on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Please Vikes, take care of the LT position for the next 5-10 years and take Kalil. I too don’t have confidence in Speilman’s draft tactics so am hoping they don’t trade down for more picks.