Even After 21 Franchise Tags, Free Agent Market Looks Deep

Posted by Mike Wobschall on March 6, 2012 – 7:52 am

Much of our discussion on the vikings.com Blog recently has centered on the Combine and/or the NFL draft. But over the next week or so, the focus will shift toward free agency. The free agency signing period begins on March 13, but there’s already a lot about which to discuss with regard to free agency.

So let’s get to it.

Monday was deadline day for teams to designate franchise players, and when all was said and done at 3:00 CT, a grand total of 21 teams had chosen to retain a player scheduled to be a free agent via the franchise tag, which essentially guarantees the player a 1-year salary at a predetermined value. The full list of players tagged by their teams is contained in the previous blog entry. A record number of teams used the tag this year, as the 21 tags in 2012 surpasses by 7 the next highest number from a recent offseason.

But even with so many players taken out of the potential free agent market, there are still plenty of good players who will hit the market next week. We’ll go further in-depth on many of these players over the next week, and in fact we’ll discuss those players – and other Vikings issues – in great deal tomorrow during the Free Agency Preview Live Chat.

For now, though, I’ll simply list several of the players who are likely presiding at or near the top of fans’ wish lists for free agency. Keep in mind, I’m not entirely convinced the Vikings are going to be huge players in free agency, but I’ve been wrong plenty of times in the past. So perhaps the team will be more active than anticipated. Even if the Vikings aren’t one of the most free-spending teams early in free agency, I believe this year’s class is deep enough that teams choosing to shop on the 2nd or 3rd tier of the market will still find plenty of talent to supplement their roster.

Another factor to keep in mind is that plenty of teams still have some salary shedding to do, meaning the free agent market will be fortified even further by clubs who choose to cut players from their roster in order to create cap space. For example, the Arizona Cardinals are expected to cut OT Levi Brown and the San Diego Chargers will reportedly cut OT Marcus McNeill. So there you have two starting-caliber LTs who will enter this market and inflate the talent level. While the Vikings may not be looking to add a starting-caliber free agent LT, other teams may cut starting-caliber players at other positions that might interest the Vikings.

Again, we’ll get into more detail on all these players throughout the week, but for now here’s an abbreviated list of players scheduled to be free agents beginning on March 13.

Primary free agent market by position
QB: Matt Flynn
RB: Cedric Benson, LeGarrette Blount (RFA), BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Mike Tolbert
WR: Marques Colston, Pierre Garcon, Vincent Jackson, Brandon Lloyd, Laurent Robinson, Mike Wallace (RFA), Reggie Wayne
TE: Scott Chandler, Visanthe Shiancoe
OT: Demetrius Bell, Vernon Carey, Jared Gaither, Barry Richardson, Adam Snyder
OG/C: Matt Birk, Mike Brisiel, Dan Connolly, Ben Grubbs, Nick Hardwick, Evan Mathis, Carl Nicks, Dan Koppen, Chris Myers, Chilo Rachal, Samson Satele, Scott Wells
DT: Brodrick Bunkley, Jonathan Fanene, Jason Jones, Antonio Garay, Sione Pouha, Paul Soliai
LB: David Hawthorne, E.J. Henderson, Erin Henderson, DeAndre Levy, Curtis Lofton, Stephen Tulloch, Mario Williams
CB: Brandon Carr, Cortland Finnegan, Tracy Porter, Carlos Rogers, Aaron Ross, Terrell Thomas, Lardarius Webb, Eric Wright
S: Husain Abdullah, Thomas DeCoud, LaRon Landry, Reggie Nelson

Secondary free agent market by position
QB: Jason Campbell, Chad Henne, Kyle Orton, Alex Smith
RB: Michael Bush, Ryan Grant, Tim Hightower, Peyton Hillis
FB: Jacob Hester, Marcel Reese (UFA)
WR: Plaxico Burress, Early Doucet, Harry Douglas, Ted Ginn Jr., Mario Manningham, Robert Meachem, Jerome Simpson, Roy Williams
TE: Jake Ballard (RFA), Martellus Bennett, Jeremy Shockey
OT: Jeff  Backus, Khalif Barnes, King Dunlap, Brandon Keith, Max Starks, Guy Whimper
OG/C: Jacob Bell, Ryan Diem, Ramon Foster (RFA), Kory Lichtensteiger (RFA), Nate Livings, Deuce Lutui, Paul McQuistan, Chad Rinehart (RFA),
DE: John Abraham, Mark Anderson, Andre Carter, Shaun Ellis
DT: Aubrayo Franklin, Kelly Gregg
LB: Keith Brooking, Dan Connor, London Fletcher, Leroy Hill, Jameel McClain, Philip Wheeler
CB: Ronde Barber, Chris Carr, Richard Marshall, William Gay
S: Jordan Babineaux, Sean Jones, Jim Leonhard, Darion Stewart (RFA)

248 Responses to “Even After 21 Franchise Tags, Free Agent Market Looks Deep”

1. By DeerTracks on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Go after Matt Birk…He wanted to stay in Minnesota…

Also, he is a very good Center!!

2. By DRS on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

C-h-r-i-s-t-i-a-n Ponder preparing in case Vikings draft another quarterback

By Jeremy Fowler

jfowler@pioneerpress.comtwincities.com

Posted: 03/03/2012 12:01:00 AM CST

March 4, 2012 5:13 AM GMT Updated: 03/03/2012 11:13:29 PM CST

“You always have to have the confidence that you’re the guy,” Ponder said today from Williams Arena while taking in the University of Minnesota men’s basketball game against Nebraska. “But in the NFL, there’s nothing ever guaranteed. Who knows. It’s a business. Obviously, they are looking at the quarterbacks. We’ll see what happens. I’m still preparing like I’m the starter. That’s still my job.”

3. By Parody on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

I’m questioning why some of those players are listed as 2nd tier players. I always thought Jeremy Shockey and Mario Manningham (among others) were some of the better players at their position. Plus, Manningham just made a big contribution in his team’s Super Bowl win. I think his stock is going to be pretty high right now.

4. By DeerTracks on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

The Vikings’ Brain Trust has already thown QB Joe Webb under the Bus…

There is still room for you Ponder….

5. By Parody on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

DeerTracks – Birk left MN by choice. The Vikings offered him an almost identical contract to what he accepted from the Ravens, and he chose to leave his hometeam in the dust. I figured it was because of the horrible coaching at the time, but that’s really anyone’s guess.

Now, with Birk’s age, you gotta figure he only has a couple of years left and wants to be a part of a team that has a shot at the Super Bowl. Because of that, I really think that he’ll do whatever he can to re-sign with the Ravens. They have been playoff contenders every year he’s been there. They have a young QB who’s still improving, so are in a perfect spot to set up for a Super Bowl run right now.

6. By Parody on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Personally, I’d like to see the Vikings go after the DBs in free agency, and try to address the other needs in the draft. There’s a lot of quality names in that list, all of whom would be a big upgrade to what we already have. If we get one high-end DB from free agency, and another one in rounds 2-4 of the draft, that will be a big improvement over last year’s group.

7. By sandiamond on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Parody it appears from Spielman’s comments that we might covet V. Jackson or B. Carr and that is IT. I don’t agree at all and think we should pursue 2nd and 3rd tier exp players. Wobschall may be just wasting time writing on these players

•On where the team stands in its free agency planning: “We’re done. Everbody is just sitting and waiting for the 13th. There’s not much more we can do. We were done before we went down to the combine. Now we’re focused on the pro days.”
    •On whether the team will be active in free agency: “If there’s a guy there that we covet. Other than that, we’ll probably be patient. We’ll see how that shakes out. I know there are a lot of franchise tags going out the door [recently]. So we’ll see where things shake out on the 13th.”
    •On guarding against relying too heavily on free agency to build a team: “You’re hoping that you’re always drafting and keeping the guys you draft as you bring them up through your system. If you’re able to keep those guys, I think that’s the best way to do it. But if there is a free agent out there that you think is unique, or a trade like when we traded for Jared Allen, if something pops up like that then you try to go ahead and do that if you can. But for the most part you’re hoping to re-sign some of the guys as they get to the end of their contract from their rookie deals.”
    •On when the Vikings will cut the veterans they intend to cut: “I think if we have any roster moves, it will be before the 13th. We have a pretty good idea [what moves we’ll make]. We had some meetings with our ownership on Friday. We’ll get together on Saturday, one last meeting before everything gets started”

8. By sandiamond on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Matt Birk is going to sign a one-year contract with Baltimore and then retire a Raven. It has already been reported

9. By sandiamond on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Richard Marshall perfict fit for the Vikings secondary. EXP at CB,NB and S. Last year we had to sign players off the street due to injuries all over the backfield. Must we go through that again??

10. By Carl K on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Carlos Rogers and Aaron Ross are too old and too expensive.
    Lardarius Webb is 26 and ran the fastest forty at the 2009 NFL combine. Solid NFL stats for Baltimore as a corner, and is a good NFL kick returner also. Of all the corner Ladarius would get my best offer.
    Tracy Porter and Eric Wright are also young solid starting NFL corners that could help the Vikings. Richard Marshall is a guy that is young, has good stats, and just might be affordable for the Vikings.

Signing V Jackson and Richard Marshall would give the Vikings the flexablity to draft best player available.

11. By Shawn on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Off that list heres what I think should be looked at ..

WR – Vincent Jackson … 29 is a little old for my liking but he still has one good contract left in him. If we land Vincent Jackson there is no need to think about Blackmon in the draft anymore.

WR – Marques Colston … same thinking as VJack except he scares me a little because I always considered him a product of Drew Brees / Sean Payton success

WR – Pierre Garcon … Hes the right age. Reports are hes fast. I trust our coaches

WR – Laurent Robinson … Maybe hes another one of those true number 2 WRs that looked good because of the talent around him … just like Michael Jenkins or BB (BB failed miserably as a number 1)

______________________________________________________________

TE – Chandler or Shiancoe … no question we need a veteran TE on the roster. Yes Rudolph is the #1 TE but Vikings have been using a 3 TE combo for the last 3 years or so …. so after Rudolph who do you trust at 2nd and 3rd TE ??? I think Reisner will be a good #3 this season but I dont believe in the rest of them. We need a Veteran #2 IMO

______________________________________________________________

OL – One name would be nice here but I think the draft is the right route. Kalil will upgrade 2 positions on our OL. With some people ranking our RT 12th and our Center 5th … Kalil at LT and serious competition at RG. Hutch should be fine at LG. Or Carl Nicks

_____________________________________________________________

MLB – IDK anymore. I thought Curtis Lofton was the answer but 2 things bother me. #1 NO TEAM would let a great MLB walk away and #2 on Falcon boards the fans rip him for not being good in the pass game. Hawthorne, Lofton, and EJ will all get big contracts. So I guess Im ok with Jasper Brinkley for 1 season and look MLB in the 2013 draft

LOLB – Erin Henderson. He could replace Brinkley for the nickel as well as a base OLB. I worry about too much change in one offseason

______________________________________________________________

CB – Brandon Carr. Because of his age I think he is a better option than Finnegan but I also like Finnegan.

CB – Coutland Finnegan. I like his on field attitude and our defense could use some of that emotion.

CB – Everyone Else. Because almost anyone would be an upgrade from Asher down on our depth chart … Id also like to add everyone to the list of options that we need to sign at CB

______________________________________________________________

S – Abdullah … The way I see it Mistral Raymond is the long term answer I think. So why not bring back a part time starter on the cheap ? IDK either so just git r done

_____________________________________________________________

Draft LT- Kalil round one and S- Barron round 2 then your really not thinking starters after round 2.

12. By Mike Wobschall on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

I added a few more names since posting this entry…be sure to check out the names added and let us know who you’d like on the Vikings roster.

13. By sandiamond on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

nice breakdown shawn! I can tell Erin is still in the dark. He is intriqued by all the free agent talk but would walk in a heartbeat for a nice contract. Stumbled in a saints room by accident after the season and the fans were livid with Tracy Porter’s play like we are with Asher

14. By Carl K on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Shawn- I can buy into your thoughts on re-signing Abdullah. He is only a 1 year starter and has concussion problems… I think we should be able to re-sign him at a good price. I also agree Raymond is the future at FS.

I am afraid that Brandon Carr and C Finnegan will be outside of the Viking budget… and V Jackson will get the Viking’s attention at the early part of free agency, which will hurt the chances that the Vikings will be able to land Carr or Finnegan.

15. By Shawn on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Just had another thought … The Vikings seem to be missing the tough guy kinda Co’cky attitude. You know the Cris Carter, Ray Lewis, or John Randle kind of personality that could lift a team in crunch time.

Jared Allen and Adrian Peterson are close but cosidering my above thoughts

my 2 free agent wants are … TE Jeremy Shockey and CB Courtland Finnegan.

Finnegan will be a big contract but I bet Shockey could be gotten for less than Shiancoe made last season.

Then restructure Hutch and Ced Griffin and cut Herrera. Hope the cap is closer to 130 and get WR Marques Colston for slightly cheaper than VJax

16. By Carl K on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Thats Mike Wobby… Go ahead and take safety Thomas DeCoud off, Atlanta has agreed to new contract with him.
    This list may get a lot smaller by the time March 13th rolls around.

17. By Carl K on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

I ment to say “thanks” Mike. sorry

18. By Shawn on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

I wonder if RB Hightower is a good blocker ? He might be a good 3rd down back in the chester taylor mold … I know hightower can catch but can he block?

Hopefully Gerhart figures out blitz pick up in his 3rd year so he can be the 3rd down back

19. By Viking-ology on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

I know the Vikes show interest in V. Jackson, but I’m not convinced he is the best suitable fit at this point. I still like Brandon Lloyd, he has been under the radar and I think he would fit well and at a better price. Colston would be good, but the $$ would be high like Jackson’s.

20. By Viking-ology on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Shawn-like your ideas! Although I am a little leary of Jeremy Shockey, he is a great TE, but may cause too many waves with Rudolph. This is why he moves from team to team.

21. By Viking-ology on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

I wish we could get Chester Taylor back-I always liked his tough play.

22. By Viking-ology on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

I like “Shank” the Vikes should try to keep him if they can. They just need to utilize him better than what they did last year, ecspecially down the stretch.

23. By Viking-ology on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

BTW, from time to time I read we are in a rebuilding mode-there is no more rebuilding in the NFL, things need to turn around quickly in order to compete. No excuses, for our Viking’s.

24. By Mike B. on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Shank is going to ask for top salary in the FA. I don’t think the Vikings are going to want to pay top dollar for a TE when they have Rudolph. I don’t think you will see shank in vikings purple next year.

25. By Mike B. on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

If the vikings take a top notch LT in free agency this wll open up what they can do with that #3 pick. They will not have to pick Kalil and could be open to trading down some. Will be interesting.

26. By Mike B. on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

have the Colts cut Manning yet?

27. By PTviking on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

My wish-list:
    Free agency – 1-Brandon Carr; 2- Pierre Garçon
    Draft – 1# Kalil; 2# Mark Barron/Harrison Smith.
    I would be a happy camper!

28. By Mike B. on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Shockey would want to be starting TE and that won’t be a good fit for the Vikings. If Shank came back he would start, but other than that the guy hired would be a #2 TE.

29. By Mike B. on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

WR Jackson or Colston would be good adds to the team. The point is if the Vikings will get in a bidding war to get either. I am sure Jerry Jones is looking too.

30. By DRS on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

This is from,

Spielman said the Vikings will have their rookie minicamp the week after the draft.

On pro day success stories such as Sherels: “I think Marcus Sherels was our biggest success story coming out of here. He was a college free agent.
    We had him at our rookie minicamp and signed him there. He ended up making our team and did some good things for us. That’s why you go out to these pro days, because you never know what you’re going to find. There was some kids from these small schools that popped up a little bit as well.”

31. By PTviking on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

I rather have one of the top CB and them see what we can do at WR. Don´t spend all of your money with a WR and then have none left to fill other needs!!
    CB is our biggest need!

32. By Shawn on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Mike B … your probably right about Shockey. I just think adding a couple tough guys would be good for our team.

33. By DRS on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

On when the Vikings will cut the veterans they intend to cut: “I think if we have any roster moves, it will be before the 13th. We have a pretty good idea [what moves we’ll make]. We had some meetings with our ownership on Friday. We’ll get together on Saturday, one last meeting before everything gets started.”

On pro days in general: “I love the combine. Love the Senior Bowl. I love going out to these pro days. I’ll have some private dinners as we go through this. It gives you a chance to meet them, meet their families. This is the time of year you can really hone in. You know what they are as football players. Now, you try to really hone in on what they are as people and whether they fit what you’re looking for.”

34. By Carl K on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

I don’t think we need to spend money on a free agent RB! I think Caleb King should be able to win the role of 3rd down back. He is a solid pass blocker with reliable hands. At 5’11 217 lbs Caleb has good size, balance and athletic ability. I can’t wait to see this kid in preseason!

35. By DeerTracks on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Parody, Birk had ties in Minnesota, and had voiced his desire to remain in MN…

I do believe it was the “coaching”that made up his mind…

You are also correct that Birk will stay where he is…Possible Superbowl run with that team…Not so, if he was with the Vikings…

36. By sandiamond on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

New mock draft out. These guys eat,sleep and breathe this stuff like you would not believe. Don’t agree with the 2nd round pick(zach brown) unless Erin slips away. From the looks of this, there are too many stellar players for the vikings to pass on after #35 so it jumps out for us to trade up from the 3rd round instead of the 2nd round

37. By Larry on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Pick up V-Jack,Brandon Carr,And Carl Nicks.We’ll be free to fill other needed holes.

38. By DRS on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

No Vikings receive franchise tags, but Wes Welker, Dwayne Bowe get them

Associated Press

Posted: 03/05/201

2 12:01:00 AM CST

March 5, 2012 10:47 PM GMT Updated: 03/05/2012 04:47:33 PM CST

NEW YORK – All-Pro Wes Welker of the New England Patriots and fellow wide receiver Dwayne Bowe of the Kansas City Chiefs were given franchise tags just before today’s NFL deadline.

As expected, the Minnesota Vikings did not give anyone a franchise tag.

Welker and Bowe each will earn about $9.5 million for 2012, the average of the five highest-paid players at the position.

Also tagged today were Tennessee Titans safety Michael Griffin, Dallas Cowboys linebacker Anthony Spencer, Detroit Lions defensive end Cliff Avril, New York Giants punter Steve Weatherford and three kickers – the Denver Broncos’ Doug Prater, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ Connor Barth and the Jacksonville Jaguars’ Josh Scobee.

Among those previously tagged were New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees, Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice and Chicago Bears running back Matt Forte.

Free agency begins March 13.

39. By Viking-ology on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Mike B.-I think the Viking’s would be foolish not to jump at the chance to draft Kalil. That position will be solidified from day one for years to come with no FA baggage or extra $$.

40. By DRS on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Shooter Now: Minnesota Vikings stadium deal will get done, just not right now

By Charley Walters

twincities.com

Posted: 03/05/2012 12:01:00 AM CST

March 6, 2012 4:40 AM GMT Updated: 03/05/2012 10:40:51 PM CST

A decent bet, according to a person in the know, is that a Vikings stadium bill finally will get passed in the Legislature this session, but probably not until near the last day of the session in May, and not without some major political deal making.

Twenty-seven prospects and 10 NFL scouts/officials, including Vikings general manager Rick Spielman, showed up for Monday’s pro day workouts at the University of Minnesota. But the star was ex-Gophers defensive tackle Anthony Jacobs.

41. By Viking-ology on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

DRS-In layman’s terms, the stadium bill will pass when the right palms get greased.

42. By DRS on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Scoggins: NFL bounty hunters must pay

Article by: CHIP SCOGGINS , Star Tribune Updated: March 6, 2012 – 12:22 PM

Stiff penalties are the only recourse if the NFL wants to assure all involved that its violent action does have boundries.

Two seasons later and with the Saints’ intentions now a matter of public record, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell is poised to deliver his own form of harsh punishment to former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams and any other Saints employee who had knowledge of or participated in the bounty program that rewarded players for vicious hits and knocking opponents out of games.

43. By DRS on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Viking-ology, you got that right my man, it is always that way, and the small man can never get a break any where, unless it is paid for by someone somewhere somehow.

44. By DRS on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Questions with Bob Sansevere: Vikings general manager Rick Spielman

Bob Sansevere

twincities.com

Posted: 03/06/2012 12:01:00 AM CST

March 6, 2012 6:17 AM GMT Updated: 03/06/2012 12:17:48 AM CST

New general manager for the Vikings Rick Spielman speaks during a press conference at Winter Park in Eden Prairie, Minn., on Tuesday, January 3, 2012.

Vikings general manager Rick Spielman spent Monday morning at the University of Minnesota checking out the local talent. He was able to evaluate eight Minnesota players and more than a dozen players from other colleges who went through strength, speed and agility drills as part of Gopher Pro Day.

Spielman has a busy week of viewing draft-eligible players. He plans to attend UCLA’s Pro Day today, then Wednesday take in Southern California’s Pro Day and get a close-up look at Matt Kalil, who could be the Vikings’ next left tackle. On Friday, he is scheduled to be at Oklahoma State, where touted receiver Justin Blackmon is expected to show his stuff.

I talked to Spielman about what he saw Monday and what he might do with the third pick in the NFL draft.

BS: Do you have any future hall of famers here?

RS: No. (Laughs). It’s always good to come down to the university. A lot of our coaches came down to work out the kids. We’ve gotten a couple of players out of here. Marcus Sherels we found out here on that (Pro) day, and Cedric McKinley, who bounced around on our practice squad and ended up on New England’s practice squad. If they show something here (and) don’t get drafted or signed as college free agents, then we go ahead and bring them to our rookie minicamp and have them on a three-day tryout.

BS: Did anyone impress you?

RS: All these kids are probably going to be late-round (or) free-agent type guys. I’m not going to tell you who we like and don’t like. There will be, hopefully, some guys here we’ll definitely invite (to rookie camp) or maybe sign as college free agents.

45. By DRS on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Have to go to El Paso TX VA so everyone have a great day.

46. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

I read an article today that Brees is LIVID over the franchise tag– he wants a long term contract.

47. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

The fair solution to BountyGate would be for the NFL to take Brees from the Saints and give him to the Vikings.

48. By Spencer *Day 2 Of Trial* on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

A Wr who I would like us to sign is Chaz Schilens(26). Hes now pretty much of an afterthought due to the emergence’s of Heyward-Bay, Ford, and Denarius Moore.

Schilens is 6’4. 43in vertical. and a 4.39/40. He has all the physical tools in the world to be a very good WR in this league. Only drawback is that hes highly injury prone. But other than that he has the potential to be something special.

49. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Spencer, have you considered working alongside Spielman? Spielman and Spence. Then if a player gets in trouble, you can pose as attorneys.

50. By Rogerthevikefan on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Vikings could probably get both CBs Richard Marshall and Will Middleton for less than Brandon Carr. DRAFT LT KALIL. 2nd round wr Stephen Hill or S Harrison Smith. 3rd round CB Josh Norman. 4th round wr Marvin Jones or Marvin McNutt. 5th round OT/OG Andrew Datko utility back up. 6th round LB Audie Cole. 7th round BPA. Compensatory pick are likely 2 4th rounders so 1stC4th round DT Akiem Hicks. 2ndC4th round CB Cliff Harris.

51. By Spencer *Day 2 Of Trial* on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

“Minnesota Vikings Cornerback Chris Cook’s girlfriend recanted her claim he strangled her and apologized for telling police he had, a judge said. The victim apologizes for telling police he strangled her, that she had never been strangled before.”

52. By Spencer *Day 2 Of Trial* on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

“There was a prior incident in which she punched Cook in the face after becoming drunk.”

53. By New Vike on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Roger, love your ideas for the picks for the most part. I would change the 3rd round pick to Chase Minnifield(if there) and the 4th rounder to Tommy Streeter or Lamichael James.

54. By Spencer *Day 2 Of Trial* on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

So it seems as though after #31 was punched, he tried his best to restrain his drunk girlfriend.

Also of note, Cook’s (ex?)girlfriend proclaimed that she “misses him, and still loves him.”

55. By Spencer *Day 2 Of Trial* on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Why is Pierre Garcon a primary free-agent? I would place him in the 2nd class of FA Wr’s. Hes just another product of Peyton Manning

56. By Spencer *Day 2 Of Trial* on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Interesting. It seems as though Ex-Viking Randy Moss “looked like the old Randy,” during a workout with the Saints.

57. By Carl K on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Not bad Roger!
    I would change your 3rd round pick of CB Josh Norman (his 4.66 forty wasn’t great) to any one of these corners:
    Chase Minnifield
    Jamell Fleming
    Josh Robinson
    Dwight Bentley

58. By KoN on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Assuming that none the gusy are resigned by their respective teams (although I’m guessing a few will be) I would like to see the Vikings pursue Carr or Finnegan and then go for one of the cheaper, younger wide recievers like Garcon, Meachem, and maybe even Wallace. My favorite WR in FA is actually Manningham and I would love it if we could get him, but after his performance late last year I feel like he wil be asking for too much.

59. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

The fact that Crook’s GF changed her tune only after receiving a call from him in jail didn’t fool the cops, and it won’t fool the jury. A good prosecutor will destroy her on the witness stand, sealing Crook’s fate.

60. By Spencer *Day 2 Of Trial* on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Well now it appears FA Safety Reggie Nelson is being targeted by the Dolphins.

I dont think we have been linked to any player so far. Its so depressing.

61. By Viking-ology on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Chris Cook has just announced he is adding to his cast of attorney’s. “Spencer for hire”.

62. By Viking-ology on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

An abused woman will always crawl back to their comfort zone, it happens all-too often.

63. By Viking-ology on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

With all of those pics taken of the neck area, clearly showing bruises caused by figermarks, what would her reasoning be for that.

64. By Spencer *Day 2 Of Trial* on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Cook was punched in the face. Abuse goes both ways.

But in your eyes, women should not be held accountable for their actions.

65. By Viking-ology on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

“Well officer, Chris was acually sizing me up for a necklace he promised to buy me. I told him I wanted a tight fit, and that way, he could never lie to me about my neck size if he used his own hands”…

66. By Viking-ology on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Spencer is clearly taking the “If the glove don’t fit, you must aqquit” approach.

67. By Spencer *Day 2 Of Trial* on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Im not defending #31, im just looking at all the information. Like #31 once said, “there are 2 sides to every story.”

68. By Viking-ology on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Robert Urich would be proud of the new “Spencer for hire” starring our very own blogger, Spencer. The first episode is titled: “Squeeze play” with a special appearace by Chris Cook (as himself).

69. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

From the Pioneer Press…..Her friends told her she had succeeded in punching him, and that he complained of jaw pain.

But Cook had said she never actually landed a blow.

The alleged incident “is too amorphous or vague to be probative of anything,” said Assistant Hennepin County Attorney Sarah Hilleren. The judge said he would not allow it to come in as evidence………So Spencer, even Crook says she never hit him. Or are you saying he’s lying? Get it right.

70. By Viking-ology on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

There are also two sides to a coin- this is why you don’t have lawers call a coin toss, as they are taught to call “hails” confusing the opponent into accepting the “manipulaters” terms.

71. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

V-O, LOL, even Perry Mason couldn’t save Crook.

72. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Cook will be fried with his strategy– the evidence contradicts the gf’s testimony– she is obviously scared of him when he gets out or he has offered her part of his salary if acquitted. He is better off admitting he is sick and seek counseling.

73. By Spencer *Day 2 Of Trial* on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Cooks girl said he never choked her.

74. By DesertViking on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

If by some sort of crazy events we got Lardarius Webb!!! :D But I highly doubt it.

75. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

The cops don’t buy that. the prosecution doesn’t buy that, the jury won’t buy that, and anyone whose judgement is.n’t clouded by “Hometown Player” syndrome won’t buy it. That’s why people like you aren’t on the jury.

76. By Spencer *Day 2 Of Trial* on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

So let me get this straight. Cook denies that his girl punched her, and you believe him. I can understand that. But when Cooks girl said he didnt choke her, you dont believe it?

77. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

No, Spencer- she said she had never been choked before– before, i.e. prior to Cook choking her, so she is saying she was in shock and exaggerated the situation. Geesh– I take back that you are an elite blogger.

78. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

She had blood on her, fingerprint impressions on her neck had to be taken to a hospital by ambulance– the neighbors that called to report screaming were from ACROSS the street– her eardrum was ruptured and she lost hearing for a month. COME ON.

79. By Spencer *Day 2 Of Trial* on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

You guys are too biased. Im glad none of you are on the jury.

80. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Yeah Spencer, she got those marks on her neck from a vampire.

81. By Metalholic on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

We need to get Peyton Manning He needs a team with a good running game and defense and we need a qb genius!

82. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

YEP– I am biased toward keeping civilization.

83. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Hear, hear Titus.

84. By Metalholic on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

HERE YE! HERE YE! WE WILL NEVER WIN A GD SUPER BOWL IF WE DON’T PUSH FOR MANNING! HE IS NOW A FA!~

85. By Spencer *Day 2 Of Trial* on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

If hes inocent, how will you feel?

86. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

If he’s innocent, then I will believe the conspiracy theories saying America never went to the moon.

87. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Surprised, shocked……but I watched O.J. walk.

88. By Spencer *Day 2 Of Trial* on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

If hes guilty, gets around 90 days of jail time. But the Vikings decide not to release him. How will you feel?

89. By Shawn on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Yea but OJ was a football star …

90. By Parody on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

You guys are ignoring the reasoning behind it. I agree that it was wrong for Cook to choke her, or anyone. But what lead up to it? I highly doubt that he just came home one evening and started strangling her. She had some fault in this. The question is how much? Many bloggers appear to have already concluded that her fault was very minimal, without seeing ANY EVIDENCE of it.

I’m not saying that you’re wrong, but how do you know that you’re right? Whatever it was, Cook should be punished for it, but the extent of the punishment will have to depend on the extent of the GF’s actions that lead up to it.

91. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

If he does jail time, the Vikings will release him. Even if found guilty with no jail time the Vikings will release him. They don’t need all the problems involved with continuing to employ a convicted woman-beater.

92. By Spencer *Day 2 Of Trial* on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Wow Parody. I applaud you.

93. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Parody, that’s why he’s pulling the self-defense bs. It’s the only acceptable way to rationalize the damage he inflicted. Even self-defense doesn’t explain the amount of damage.

94. By Shawn on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Parody … I agree if we are going to have equal rights than they need to be EQUAL. Men dont call the police when a woman hits them … because we are men and sometimes in life you get hit. Yet for some reason a woman cries and tattle tells about everything. You pick any crime and you will see men deal with life and women look for someone to help them. They want equal rights but they dont get what equal rights means.

Women for any crime rarely get the same punishment as a man gets for the same crime. We as a society fail society by giving women special rights

95. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

What he did to her does not fall under the umbrella of “reasonable self-defense” in your country or mine.

96. By Parody on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Nova – I agree that self defense is hard to explain for that amount of damage. But doesn’t it change your view of the extent of the crime? If they got into an argument, and he decided to try to end it by choking her, that’s clearly completely inexcusable. But if she started it by attacking him in some way, possibly with a weapon in hand, and he defended himself by choking her until she appeared incapable of attacking anymore, does this not sound like a lesser crime, deserving of lesser punishment?

97. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

That’s why the self-defense argument will never fly. A 6ft 2in. 220 lb. man doesn’t have to strangle a small woman to protect himself.

98. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

I used to duck flying frying pans from my ex, and was able to “convince” her to stop without strangling her or ever being arrested.

99. By ozzinator on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Shawn – you’re 100% correct on the women’s equal rights thing. Couldn’t have stated it better. Cudos.

100. By Metalholic on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Well I see where everyone’s heart is at. Pretty bad a man sittin in Ohio loves the Vikings more then people on this blog at the moment. I mean we need to be pushing for Peyton. Ponder needs to learn from the best! Peyton needs a deffense and ALL-DAY behind him. Lets get this pressure up to Wilf!

101. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

If she had attacked him with a weapon in hand, then Crook’s lawyer would certainly have had charges filed against her.

102. By Metalholic on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

No wonder were 0-4 all time superbowls. Cause we can’t make half time adjustments and can’t make accurate fa signing herschel walker cough cough.

103. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Metalholic….but we don’t have a defense !

104. By Metalholic on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

We are a CB and Safety or 2 away!

105. By Metalholic on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

I plan on fixing that in the draft!

106. By Parody on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Metalholic – You are in the minority. Most Vikings fans are fed up with Minnesota being a retirement home for QBs. It will sometimes work out for one year, but always inevitably flounders the next, and then we are back in the same problem we were before it happened. There’s no cap room for Manning on this team, and there’s no patience from the fans for yet another over-the-hill QB to hold us back from developing a young Franchise signal caller.

107. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Parody, Parody– true strength and power is knowing when not to use it. You are correct in we don’t know all that happened on the eve of the allegation, but what we have heard is that Cook was upset over his gf talking to an ex-boyfriend. That sounds like a very mixed up jealous immature man who bullied his woman.

108. By Parody on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

That’s probably the case Nova, but it’s still just speculation. I’d rather wait to hear what evidence is presented in the court room.

109. By Metalholic on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

@ Parody. So after Warren Moon,Randall Cunningham,Brett Favre all but take us to super bowls your gonna let Donovan Mcnabbs bad experience kepp you from wanting PEYTON MANNING?

110. By Shawn on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Metalholic … If Payton was 100% … the Colts would have kept him. Hes 35. I like Ponder.

111. By Metalholic on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Lets not forget we got Joe Capp from the giants and we won with him! Not super bowls obviously. Ponder needs to sit behind Peyton otherwise were doomed! Ponder needs to learn game planning and preparation if athletisism was all there was Vick Would have super bowl rings!

112. By Metalholic on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Anyone remember the Dolphins passing up on DREW BREES guess who knew he was gonna win super bowsl? Right here. Who got the bad end of the stick saints or dolphins? You wanna pass up on Manning? Don’t cry no more about coming up short in the playoffs and sucking hind titt to the team I hate PACKERS!

113. By Parody on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Metalholic – On the flip side of it, if Manning were a good mentor to young QBs, the Colts would have had, at the least, a respectable replacement on board when he got injured. As it was, they had to go out and get journeyman Kerry Collins to fill in and he still lead the team to the worst record of the year. So Manning wasn’t even able to mentor any young QBs to be decent enough to do better than a player who got outperformed by 31 other teams.

114. By Shawn on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Titus … A lot of things need to go right in life to be a balanced human being especially at Cooks age. I dont know Cook personally but I guarantee his life wasnt balanced from his earliest memories.

Yes you are correct about right and wrong but pain causes pain. Cook no doubt has a lot of pain and created more pain for himself.

I dont know what happened that night but I agree with Parody that women abuse their womaness far too often and I would like to hear both sides.

115. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Parody, that’s why I don’t get really involved in the Draft talk. At this point it’s all speculation. I will have lots to say after the actual draft.

116. By Shawn on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Metalholic … drew brees was 26ish when everyone but the saints pa’ssed on him. Manning is 35 …

117. By Metalholic on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Look at Mannings contract how much is he worth? How you gonna draft a qb with a starter making that kind of money? Now ask yourself is the guy sitting behind Peyton trying to steal his job from him or trying to learn from him? Someone like a aaron rodgers is valuable because instead of trying to take the old mans job hes gonna pick the old mans brains. Can luck do that or does he want the job? Now ask yourself how valuable is ponder!!!!

118. By Parody on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Metalholic – All those old QBs failed to get us to the Super Bowl, and kept the team from finding a franchise QB. My opinion is not based solely off of McNabb, or Brad Johnson for that matter. All these old geesers were brought in to do was win a Super Bowl. They all failed. So yes, I’d rather the team try to do something that has proven successful in the NFL – get a young QB and develop him into your Super Bowl champion.

119. By Metalholic on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

I love FSU I’m a noles fan through and through but if Ponder can’t sit behind Peyton and be his best buddy on and off the field picking the mans brains then Ponder will never be anything for us!!!

120. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

I think most of us can agree that some women take advantage of their “weaker s3x” status, but in no way does that allow for beating the sh1t out of them.

121. By Metalholic on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Guess who kept those GEEZERS from winning the super bowl? The same people who kept Tarkenton from it! The coaches! Now what do you got to say? Wanna tell me about Bud Grants GREAT half time adjustments?

122. By Mike B. on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

@ Parody although I am not in favor of getting manning. It was not the fault of any of those older QB that we didn’t get in or win a superbowl. With Farve it was more about the turn overs from the whole team not just Farve. Cunningham it was a coaches decision to rest the team with a lead then lose that lead. So to day it was older QBs fault is not accurate. In fact Ferrote put the team in position to get in the playoffs in 08. It was Chilly’s poor decision to put TJack in during the playoff game. I do agree we should cultivate a QB of the future, but the issue is not that we don’t use these older QBs in a good way.

123. By Shawn on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Metalholic … In LaLa Land. You might be right but in the real world the Vikings need too much to contend. The Vikings couldnt afford signing Peyton let alone 8 other positions. Manning wouldnt want to come to a 3-13 team. Hes 35. He cant throw as of right now today in the real world ….

Ponder 2012 !!!!!!!!! Real world …

124. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

I could have put a stop to my ex-wife’s violent temper in about 15 seconds, but then I would just be another Chris Crook.

125. By Metalholic on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

How about Denny Green letting off the gas petal against the Falcons when you got a vick like qb in Cunningham and moss and carter on the outside lets not forget Robert Smith running the ball.

126. By Mike B. on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

btw Brad Johnson has a super bowl ring

127. By Shawn on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Nova I dont disagree … I just agree in “degree of guilt” like Parody was suggesting. I dont know what happened …

128. By Parody on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Ohhh….it was the coaches’ fault. Well in that case, how do we stand a chance with Peyton on this team? We need to find ourselves a coach who can win a Super Bowl before we even start to think about finding a geezer QB to help him do it. Do you really think that Manning can do enough to turn this team into a Super Bowl champ? Chances are that he only has 1 or 2 years of good production left. What then? He can’t mentor young QBs, as I stated earlier, so it won’t do anything but delay the development of Ponder.

129. By Spencer *Day 2 Of Trial* on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Shut the He|| up Metalholic. Nobody wants Peyton Manning.

130. By Metalholic on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

@ shawn I will remember you said that. At the end of the season if we have no manning and ponder plays a whole season and we don’t make playoffs I don’t wanna hear it. Especially if manning goes somwhere with a team just as good as us cause WE ARE better then 3-13. Don’t cry!

131. By Mike B. on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

@Parody the 98championship game can be definately laid on Dennis Green’s feet. I lost all respect for him from that point on. We never did any better after that with Denny.

132. By Parody on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Mike B – I’m not saying it was their fault that we didn’t get into the Super Bowl. I’m saying that every time we have tried the method of signing old QBs, it hasn’t worked, and in effect, has delayed the team from finding a franchise QB to stop the madness.

133. By Shawn on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

_______________________________________________________________

I think there is something wrong with that. Woman want equal rights? Well if a man was getting violent … win or lose fists would be thrown and win or lose you wouldnt call the cops. But women they need special protection when they start a fight.

Well I say BS …

I had a girl try to kick me in the nutz one time and I grabbed her arms and pinned her to the wall and explained to her if she kicks me in the nutz then she will know equal rights … she listened luckily.

134. By Mike B. on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

We have had opportunities to grow good QBs but they never seem to work out or get injured that held up their progress. Johnson and Gannon come to mind.

135. By Parody on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Metalholic – It is unrealistic to expect us to make a run for the playoffs this year. We have too many holes to fill. The team is planning on bringing in and developing young players for the future. It’s called rebuilding, and you can’t rebuild if you are spending half your salary cap on a 35-year-old has been who’s coming off a major surgery that kept him off the field for an entire year.

136. By Mike B. on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Last two that actually were good starters was Culpepper and Tommy Kramer

137. By sandiamond on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

test

138. By Larry on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Peyton gets cut tomorrow.The Vikes will sign him by fri.

139. By sandiamond on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Metal holic you are making a very vaild point. Spielman should be a s sessing Peyton Manning’s value to the vikings right now as we speak. He is willing to join a team for peanuts. The Colts had to release him due to the 28 million due in a few days

This is NOT McNabb or any other washed up QB

140. By Spencer *Day 2 Of Trial* on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Lets say one day a small little 5’1, 120lb man stepped up to a 6’4 230lb man and just, out of the blue, slapped him. Then the 6’4 guy beat him to a bloddy pulp.
    Everybody would say the little guy deserved it.

Lets say one day a 5’10, 110lb women stepped up to a 5’8, 150lb man and just, out of the blue, slapped him. Then the 5’8, 150lb man beat her to a bloddy pulp.
    Everybody would say she didnt deserve that.

Double standard.

141. By Spencer *Day 2 Of Trial* on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

By Shawn on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

I grabbed her arms and pinned her to the wall
    ———————————————————————————————–

You Violent Animal!!!!

142. By Shawn on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Spencer Wins

Spencer 44 – Titus 0

Spencer is a genius. greatest blogger ever.

143. By Parody on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Spence – I think that people would try to put a significantly larger punishment on the 5’8″ man than the 6’4″ one in your example, but I doubt that they’d say either of them deserved it.

Still though, I like your example. It makes us think harder about our standards on equal rights.

144. By Shawn on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Spencer I dint leave marks on her …. and I never choked her or even hit her. I held her to the wall and explained a reality to her.

145. By NovaScotiaVike on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Beating someone to a bloody pulp is not self defense. Neither is strangling them half to death. Crook is claiming self-defense. Mark my words…it will never fly.

146. By Parody on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

LOL Shawn – I sense a little bitterness in that score…

147. By Shawn on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Parody … :) I was looking for an ironic laugh

148. By Spencer *Day 2 Of Trial* on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Shawn, It was just a little joke.

149. By Parody on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Nova – It all depends. It is considered self defense to kill someone who is intruding in your home.

If you learned that she kicked him in the testicles before he choked her, would you give him more leniency?

150. By Shawn on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Spencer I figured you were joking but I just wanted to make sure people didnt draw the wrong conclusion

151. By sandiamond on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

how about it spence? can you fiqure out which one… all cutie pies

152. By borgis on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

mr. spielman, please recognize size,speed and athltetisism for DB’s no one under 5-11″ and someone who can spell thanks

153. By Shawn on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

i like the great debaters to … is she single?

154. By Spencer *Day 2 Of Trial* on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Far right.

Is that Cook’s Girl?!?!?!?!?!?

155. By Shawn on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

i say middle black top

156. By Spencer *Day 2 Of Trial* on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Who is it sandiamond?!?!?!?!?!

157. By Viking-ology on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Some women, in my experience, like getting pinned up against a wall, it’s all about the “Pleasure Principle”!

158. By Viking-ology on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

whoops! sorry (!”)

159. By PTviking on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

And some women like getting choked..Maybe that was it!

160. By sandiamond on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

lol guys i just don’t feel good about sayin any more

161. By Spencer *Day 2 Of Trial* on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Please.

162. By GrandDaddyPurp on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

My opinion is unpopular but If a woman thinks she is tough enough to ball up a fist and hit me in the face twice, then she is tough enough to take one right back.

163. By Spencer *Day 2 Of Trial* on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

164. By Spencer *Day 2 Of Trial* on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Ask yourself this: Do you feel bad for the little kid?

165. By GrandDaddyPurp on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

166. By Spencer *Day 2 Of Trial* on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Double standard

167. By Spencer *Day 2 Of Trial* on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Sorry about that, got on a little Youtube Rant lol.

168. By GrandDaddyPurp on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Ha I know what you mean spencer

169. By Shawn on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

LOL good clips all 3 of them.

170. By Shawn on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

err 4 of them … 3 were kind of funny and the 4th was just a report but interesting that people other than just us genius’ have thought about these issues

171. By Viking-ology on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Once a woman tried to fight me, once.

172. By Marc on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

GET A DARN O-LINE GET RID OF LOADHOLT…….SHOULD PICK UP RANDY MOSS!!!! GET RID OF LESLIE FRAZIER!!!! TERRIBLE COACH HAS NO IDEA OF WHAT PLAYS TO DO NOR HOW TO RALLY/UPLIFT THE TEAM, DEF. NOT A COACH!!!!!

173. By Spencer *Day 2 Of Trial* on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

….and What happened V.O?

174. By Viking-ology on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

There is a little “Johnny Dangerously” in all of us.

175. By Shawn on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

only once

176. By Shawn on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

hahha I knew it … didnt his mom do something to him once … only once

177. By Viking-ology on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

I told her lets make love, not war! She was fine after that.

178. By Spencer *Day 2 Of Trial* on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Easy there Marc, we never bash coaches. On this blog we support the Vikings staff 100%.

179. By Viking-ology on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

That was a funny a$$ movie-that was Joe Piscapo’s character.

180. By Shawn on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Marc … GET A DARN education GET RID OF cap locks…….SHOULD PICK UP books!!!! GET RID OF your computer!!!! TERRIBLE post HAS NO IDEA OF WHAT PLAYS TO DO NOR HOW TO blog THE TEAM, DEF. NOT A blogger

181. By Viking-ology on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

A wise man once said: Beauty is in the eyes of the beer-holder.

182. By Spencer *Day 2 Of Trial* on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Shawn- would you want to play for Leslie?

183. By Viking-ology on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

But seriously folks…the Viking’s are NOT in a rebuilding mode. They are simple trimming off the fat. You will see a much quicker and agile Viking in the new season-which has been dubbed “the season of less seasoning.”

184. By Shawn on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

VO … Im very optomistic about 2012. A full offseason. Ponder has 10+ games under his belt. Percy and Musgrave really got in synch by mid season. Rudolph I feel is going to be a beast. There will be better a better OL and better secondary. Lets face it they cant be worse. And we were competitive in most of our games.

185. By Shawn on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

yea spencer

186. By Shawn on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

9 of our 13 losses were by 7 points or less

187. By Shawn on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

fix the OL and secondary … and we might get 9-10 wins

188. By Spencer *Day 2 Of Trial* on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

I hate the fact that he doesnt show any emotion. I would be depressed to be on a team that he was the coach of.

189. By dumber on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

The players and coaches who were forcing retirement upon Warner and Farve should be terminated from the league. It’s getting away with it, to just loose draft picks in exchange for a superbowl win.

190. By dumber on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

oops Favre

191. By Spencer *Day 2 Of Trial* on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

It will be interesting to see how Toby does. I see him getting at least 500yards, 4TDs.

192. By Shawn on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

tony dungy doesnt show emotion. there is an old expression … never let them see you sweat. it bothers me sometimes to but you dont know what happens behind closed doors. he did cut Berrian and McNabb mid season. he did take play calling away from Pagac … its not like he isnt doing anything

193. By sandiamond on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Who delivered the final blow on Favre in the championship game when he left the field? reportedly the league has it recorded ” pay me my money ” pay me my money”

194. By dumber on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

I expect little, so as to not be as dissappointed as last year. I hope they keep Shiankoe.

195. By dumber on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Does anyone want to come here? Lions and Packers, snd Bears, Oh my! Lions and Packers, and bears, oh my!!

196. By sandiamond on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Bobby McCray: not in the league now. also Remi could very well be one of the 27 under investigation

197. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

We should do well this season– 10-6 is very doable.

198. By dumber on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

FA Wishlist … Blount, Tolbert for change of pounding backs. Loose Booker.
    get WR V. Jackson, or get two good ones if we loose Shiankoe. I am not sure who the line guys are who are not 2 snaps from limping, but we need very strong healthy guys who can block. My wish list says 3 good ones at all costs. They have to be much better than the guys we have now.

FA and high draft receivers and line.
    Isn’t Alex Smith better thsn Flynn?

199. By Spencer *Day 2 Of Trial* on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

We already have 2 pounding backs on the team. If anything we need a scat back.

200. By Viking-ology on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

First there was “Spygate”
    Then there was “Bountygate”

My prediction for the next one is “Pigskin-gate”

201. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Whatever happened to that running back from Wisconsin we had right after Robert Smith– Michael Bennet?

202. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Nothing will top the biggest of them all. The biggest gate of football lore.

203. By Viking-ology on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

H-e-l-i-u-m

204. By Viking-ology on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Helium-filled footb@lls.

205. By Viking-ology on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

The NFL finally caught on when Jerry Jones, owner of the Dallas Cowboys was seen telling a wide receiver to “go long” then heaving the footb@ll the entire lenth of the field, from end zone to end zone. After officials confiscated the footb@ll, Jones was overheard saying “I didn’t know I had it in me.”

206. By Viking-ology on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Sometimes I have trouble deciphering the “word” culprit;/

207. By Spencer *Day 2 Of Trial* on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Titus- May I have my Elite Blogger Badge back?

208. By Viking-ology on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Our very own R.Longwell kept one of these “special” footb@lls in his duffel bag, just in case he needed a touchback.

209. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Sure Spencer

210. By Spencer *Day 2 Of Trial* on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Did I earn it back?

211. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Well, Spencer, sometimes you make good comments on vikings.com such as the following:

Then two minutes later you play Sybil and make a statement like this:

212. By TheRealDon™ on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

Oh how much I do love Vikings.com

213. By Parody on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

To be fair Titus, we bash the coaches all the time here. It’s been a staple of the site. Even in the years when things were going good and we were winning the division, nobody liked the HC.

214. By LarsonFamily on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

Hi everybody, I am back.

215. By LarsonFamily on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

No way in hejj we will sign Peyton Manning.

216. By LarsonFamily on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

The way it looks, the Colts will either forced him to retire or he will go to the Redskins.

217. By LarsonFamily on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

Now I was looking upon the article up above about these players that will be in Free Agents. I saw one dude name Jacob Hester, a Fullback, he would be a great additions since we need a good blocker. Toby Gerhart has struggled with his blocking and that was the half major problems for Ponder. He can’t blocked the DE and the Linebackers very well. It also made us think our O-Line is not doing a good job.

218. By LarsonFamily on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

We do not need Vincent Jackson, or Coloston. We need to Draft a spectular WR such as Stephen Hill. I believe he has great potentials for the team and because of his height, his speed, he would be a great additions for our WR Corps. In 3rd pick I would recommended to draft Morris Caliborne, CB or Dre Kirkpatrick since both of our CB sucks. Winfield is getting old and we’ve been trying to get him to play safety. He refused so now the CB positions for him will be no good. Chris Cook still debating in trial and it kinda tells me he won’t be a free man.I believe the Vikings will probably release him depending on his trial.

219. By LarsonFamily on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

Cedric Griffin, the injury prone, famous for letting WR get a easy touchdown, obvoiusly he wont be any good for us.

We can try and work it out by getting O-Line from the Free Agents for just 1 more season and try and get the best O-Line next season. We might be lucky to bring in some good O-Line. I know the fact that Vikings will draft several O-Lines and we could use them as an backup.

220. By LarsonFamily on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

We still have last year O-Line that we have draft, and they have not had the chance to play. For example: DeMarcus Love, Chris DeGeare, Brandon Fusco and Scott Koosistra. I heard a rumors from my friends that these players were a great picks and usually it takes a year for them to developed. I am a beleiver and I believe they will be a good O-Line. If they failed this year then there is always next year to draft a better O-Line. Again we are still drafting several O-line in this present drafting in April. I believe it will be either LT from Iowa, Riley Reiff if he made it to 2nd round or someone else. Who knows but 99.9 percent we will probably get Matt Kalil. Oh well.

221. By LarsonFamily on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

For Randy Moss… Sighs………..I really LOVED Moss and I can’t fathom of the fact he is giong to the Saints. Would the VIkings PLEASE take him back and have him retired as a Vikings? Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! He is scaring me when he is in other teams. We could save tons of money by taking him with us than buying sucker WR like Vincent Jackson, and Coloston. They are junk!! Take Moss home with us please!!!! lol

222. By LarsonFamily on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

Well I got to go. Have a good week ya’ll.

-Larson clocked out at 4:01 A.M.

223. By GrandDaddyPurp on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

Players that should be let go because of performance on AND off the field, injuries, salaray, and/or age:
    Asher Allen
    Remi Ayodele
    Jamarca Sanford
    Anthony Herrera
    Steve Hutchinson
    Phil Loadtholt
    Antoine Winfield
    Cedric Griffin
    Chris Cook
    Micheal Jenkins

224. By Spencer *3 Of Trial* on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

@ GrandDaddyPurp

Asher Allen- Agree, hes terrible.
    Remi Ayodele- Agree, garbage.
    Jamarca Sanford- Disagree, solid special teams player.
    Anthony Herrera- Agree, hes horrible.
    Steve Hutchinson- Agree, old age, and high salary.
    Phil Loadtholt- Disagree, has potential.
    Antoine Winfield- 50/50.Only if he refuses to play CB, cut him.
    Cedric Griffin- Agree, pathetic, garbage, terrible, are words that describe him.
    Chris Cook- No comment.
    Micheal Jenkins- Disagree, he was a solid WR that caught everything.

225. By Spencer *3 Of Trial* on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

I meant cut Winfield only if he refuses to play Safety, my apologies.

226. By sandiamond on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

spence the trial starts at 9:30 today. Thought you would drive in from Pennsylvania overnight to lend support ?

227. By Parody on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

GDP – I don’t agree with about half of the players on that list. Hutchinson, maybe, but it would be better if we try to restructure his contract.

Loadholt, I’d say definitely not. He still has plenty of potential, and it’s unlikely that we’d be able to find somebody better in the draft or free agency. Since he’s still on his rookie contract, that makes him more of a keeper.

Winfield is a great leader and a fan favorite. I know he’s had injury problems, but I think it would be better if we let him finish his contract with the team.

Cedric Griffen needs to show that he’s fully recovered from the injury early this year, but so long as he can he’ll be a valuable player for us.

Cook – Well the jury is still out on him (actually, they’re waiting to go out on him…) let’s make that decision after they return and pass a verdict…and possibly after Goodell lays out his extra verdict.

Jenkins, I think, is the most surprising player on your list. Yes, he came in and got injured fairly early. I’m apt to say that’s just coincidence. He had some good plays, and was a big improvement over Berrian once the coaches finally started to use him more. He’s not a true #1 WR like we need, but he’d still be a very valuable player to group up with Harvin and a true #1 once we find one.

It’s even more surprising to me that you have 3 of our OL starters on that list, and they don’t include Charlie Johnson. He’s been rated as the worst starting left tackle in the league. Everyone knows we’re drafting Kalil to replace him, so the question then is what do we do with him? I think the best choice would be to move him inside to Guard, replacing Herrera. Still, he was the worst part of a very poor OL last year. That’s primarily because he was playing the hardest position on the line, so I think it would be a better spot to have him replace onthe poorest players in one of the easier spots.

228. By sandiamond on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

Jamarca Sanford very solid ST player. Prototype in-the-box safety always around the ball and making tackles with no injuries last year. Needs to improve in pass coverage. He might be the reason the Vikes don’t look at Mark Barron in the draft

229. By Parody on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

Also, you are dismantling the entire secondary with that list. Our 4 top CBs and a S. Maybe you have a good plan to replace them all with more productive players, but I think that would be very far fetched. Even though they have been player worse than we’d like them to, replacing them all at once would be much more detrimental to the team than reworking the group over time.

230. By Rocksalt on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

I have one thing to say aboutCook and his self defense argument…..He should have been a man, and simply walked away.

231. By sandiamond on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

Best kept Secret in this year’s Draft ___ #37

232. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

MINNEAPOLIS, March 6 (UPI) — Minnesota Vikings cornerback Chris Cook’s girlfriend recanted her claim he strangled her and apologized for telling police he had, a judge said.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/2012/03/06/Viking-Chris-Cooks-girlfriend-recants-choking-claim/UPI-79761331058030/#ixzz1oRMb8o00

233. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

Thus proving the age-old credo “There’s ALWAYS 2 sides to every story.”

234. By sandiamond on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

235. By borderrivals on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

With this new stadium in the works, will we see a commitment to landing a few of the big name free agents?? Maybe Peyton Manning? To read more, check out BorderRivals:

236. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

Parody– my post was not about bashing coaches– if you read my post, you will see two colons which designate the two quotes by Spencer where he, in a matter of minutes, contradicts himself– after reprimanding another blogger.

237. By Troy on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

1) Kalil
    2) Stephon Gilmore or Jamell Fleming (hes rising)
    3) WR
    4) Robert Lester to make you guys happy

Sign Garcon! or Carr!

238. By Parody on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

Titus – I understand, but you also said that this was a good comment:
    we never bash coaches. On this blog we support the Vikings staff 100%

It made me believe that you agree we all support the staff 100%.

239. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

Sorry Parody, I thought it was a positive and uplifting comment, but my point was more on how Spencer contradicts himself constantly– it was in response to his question if he earned back the ‘elite blogger” tag. While I do think it’s good to support the coaches, I believe there is room for constructive criticism.

240. By Vikenasty on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Rober Lester looked slow in his turn around with poor overall coverage abilities. Not exactly the video you want to post to persuade fans to want him taken in the Draft.

Is WR Jerome Simpson the one from the Bengals because he is as athletic as they come if it is. Would love to see him on the Vikings. Other than that they can pick up LaRon Landry, go for an athletic man cover corner, and linebackers to replace the Henderson’s in the draft.

Is Abdullah really rated top teer safety?

241. By Vikenasty on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Oh and even if Matt Birk wanted to come back to the Vikings it wouldn’t sit right with me. I can’t forget all of the bad shotgun snaps that cost the Vikes late in games.

That being said still not a fan of Sullivan.

242. By Troy on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

@Vikenasty

exactly.. man coverage corner.. BALL HAWKSS Jamell Fleming and Stephon Gilmore in the 2nd round!!

243. By sandiamond on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

My bad Lester is on the 2012 alabama roster. Thought he had declared early for the draft but you guys spotted that he needs another year in college. Point being that the big 4, Hightower, Barron,Upshaw and Richardson are not slotted to be on the board when the vikings pick 2nd. Saban basically runs a pro-style team so we should look at the others, Menzie, Chapman, Smelly, Vlachos, etc

244. By sandiamond on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

Vikenasty didn’t WR Jerome Simpson just get busted for a large quantity pot charge?

245. By wacky on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

draft QB griffith and trade ponder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

246. By Colin on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Jim Leonard please best safety available and can return punt’s and kick’s snap him up before the Packers do

247. By san ramon learning center on Aug 22, 2014 | Reply

I am in fact glad to glance at this website posts which carries lots of valuable
    information, thanks for providing these kinds of data.

2. Mar 6, 2012: Even After 21 Franchise Tags, Free Agent Market Looks Deep | VikesCity