Submit Your Monday Morning Mailbag Questions

Posted by Mike Wobschall on February 26, 2012 – 7:19 am

We are in the midst of the 2012 NFL Scouting Combine, and I’m sure Vikings fans have plenty of questions. After spending nearly a week in Indianapolis at the event, hopefully I have some answers. Sounds like a good time for the Monday Morning Mailbag.

To submit a comment or question, send an email to me at wobschallm@vikings.nfl.net. You can also submit your comment or question in the comments section below this entry.

Remember to include your name and town on the comment/email. We can’t post every comment/question, but we’ll try to answer each question

Tags:

178 Responses to “Submit Your Monday Morning Mailbag Questions”

1. By billmarchetti on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

vikings need weapons, kalil looks like a monster, getting him first is awesome, but do you think with new englands success, they would look at ladarius green in third round? assuming they get kalil and a wr in second round two tight ends can really help this offense especially one who get down the field. my draft kalil,criner,green and len johnson (cb) with compensatory 3rd rounder, sound good?

2. By Murph on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

I agree and understand that the vikings need lots of help and Kalil would be a great addative, but is Ponder really our quarter back of the future? How do you not take Griffin if he is available? Defenses blitzed Ponder relentlesly and and were hesitant against Webb and Griffin is a Better Webb. Ju\st my thoughts

3. By Spencer on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Do you see us going after Chaz Schilens, the Raiders WR? Hes very similar to Sidney Rice except Schilens has a faster 40(4.38), and higher vertical(43in). Chaz would give us something that we are missing- A deep threat.

4. By DRS on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

(Update) Minnesota News Roundup: Vikings stadium funding plans introduced
    Minnesota News

Three state senators unveil a Vikings stadium funding plan this morning (10am).

State of Minnesota
    Talk about it ST. PAUL – Three state senators unveil a Vikings stadium funding plan this morning (10am).

Roger Chamberlain, David Hann and Pam Wolf, all Republicans, introduce a plan that would generate some of the funding for a new Minneapolis stadium through ticket surcharges. Meanwhile on Wednesday, Republican Rod Hamilton of Mountain Lake introduced a bill calling for a roofed stadium to be built at the Vikings’ first location choice, in Arden Hills, with funding coming from electronic bingo and pull-tabs. The Vikings have not yet offered any comment on Hamilton’s stadium plan.

5. By DRS on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

The Vikings have not yet offered any comment on Hamilton’s stadium plan.

My question is, what is the Vikings opinion on Hamilton’s plan?

6. By DRS on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

My second question is how long will the Vikings wait for their new stadium, months, years, how long?

7. By DRS on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

My third question is will the Vikings commit to fixing the O-Line, and the Defense this year?

8. By Rocksalt on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

MPLS STAR TRIBUNE
    Contributors in Minnesota: Jennifer Brooks, Baird Helgeson, Mike Kaszuba, Patricia Lopez, Jim Ragsdale, Brad Schrade and Rachel E. Stassen-Berger. Contributor in D.C.: Kevin Diaz.

Although it may be too early to start counting votes at the Legislature for a new Minnesota Vikings stadium, Senate Minority Leader Tom Bakk is ready.

Bakk said he would tentatively pledge 12 Senate DFL votes — he does not know exactly who yet – toward passing a Vikings stadium deal at the Legislature. The rest of the needed votes, said Bakk, would have to come from the Senate Republican majority.

There are 67 state senators, meaning a stadium bill would need at least 34 votes to pass. Republicans hold a 37 to 30 majority in the Senate.

Why 12? Bakk said that is the number of Republican senators who voted for a new Minnesota Twins stadium in 2006, when DFLers controlled the Senate. He is just returning the favor, he said.

But Bakk said there are a few caveats: If the state’s financial contribution to a new Vikings stadium comes from allowing electronic pull tabs – a choice Gov. Mark Dayton, a DFLer, seems to prefer – he could “probably” provide 12 votes. If the state’s financial contribution comes from racino – allowing slot machines at the state’s horse racing tracks – there probably will not be 12 votes.

“I have to agree on the revenue ,” said Bakk, DFL-Cook. “I’m not going to vote just for anything for 12 votes.”

If Minneapolis insists that a deal to build a Vikings stadium in the city must also include financial relief for the city’s Target Center, Bakk said that too “makes it very difficult” for him to get 12 Senate DFL votes.

Bakk said he would in addition need to know how committed Minneapolis’ City Council is to helping pay for a Vikings stadium before pledging Senate DFL votes. “I need to know that they’re going to pass what we do,” he said.

So far, a majority of the City Council does not appear to support a city public subsidy package for a Vikings stadium, absent a public referendum. In addition, the city, the state and the Vikings have not yet announced a completed agreement to build the project.

9. By DRS on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Rocksalt it looks like to me the Minneapolis City Council is the main hang up for the Vikings build their new stadium at the old dome site.

10. By DRS on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Maybe the Vikings should rethink the Adren Hills site.

11. By Rocksalt on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

DRS-
    Yup the city council has to support the current proposed plan(s) but they have been reluctant to do so..
    My question is WHERE THE H>LL WILL VIKES BE PLAYIN IN 2014??

12. By DRS on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

This is from,

Voters have no say in Vikings stadium proposal: A fan’s reaction
    By S. Gustafson, Yahoo! Contributor Network

Oct 12, 12:56 pm EDT

As a Minnesota Vikings fan and resident of Ramsey County, I’ve been following the whole Vikings stadium issue closely. For those of you living outside of Minnesota, all you need to know is that Vikings owner Ziggy Wilf wants to replace the Metrodome with a retractable roof stadium. The new Vikings stadium would be built on an old army munitions plant in the St. Paul suburb of Arden Hills.

The Vikings stadium proposal has plenty of supporters, including Governor Mark Dayton and the Minnesota Chamber of Commerce. However, the majority of Minnesota residents oppose the proposal.

I count myself among these ranks. At a time when our state is dealing with deficit battles, the last thing we need is another large bill to pay, especially if a large chunk will be placed squarely on the back of Ramsey County residents. Obviously, I have a personal interest in this, since I live in Ramsey County. Still, I’d be against the proposal even if I didn’t have to pay the increased taxes. If we can’t even pay our school districts, why would we spend hundreds of millions on a football stadium?

Supporters argue that any costs of building the Minnesota Vikings stadium would be negated by the jobs the project would provide. I’m still skeptical. The marginal number of jobs would not make up for the huge price tag of a new stadium. Even if the Vikings stadium brought in more jobs, I doubt that most of these would be full-time with benefits.

Money aside, there are plenty of other reasons why the Vikings stadium should not be built on the munitions plant. Given the activities that took place during World War II, Korea and Vietnam, there is plenty of toxic sludge at the munitions site. Yes, this needs to be cleaned up, and yes, the stadium supporters would be the first group willing to commit to the cleanup process, but that doesn’t mean that putting a stadium up on the site would be safe for Vikings fans. Even with extensive cleanup, it may not be possible to remove all the hazardous waste. You’re only kidding yourself if you think that paving the site would make the problem go away.

Despite my qualms surrounding the Minnesota Vikings stadium proposal, I’d be okay with it if that was really what the public wanted. That is simply not the case. Most Minnesotans are against the proposal. Unfortunately, their voices will not be heard, because the Ramsey County Charter Commission decided not to put the proposal to a vote. Sure, a vote might be costly, and Ziggy Wilf might not get his way, but what it would be is democratic. Apparently, that doesn’t count for squat anymore.

Born and raised in Minnesota, S. Gustafson has remained faithful to the Vikings through their many ups and downs.

Learn more about the Minnesota Vikings stadium proposal:

Arden Hills Vikings Stadium: Pros and Cons

Note: This article was written by a Yahoo! contributor. Sign up here to start publishing your own sports content.

Follow Yahoo! Sports’ NFL coverage on Twitter.

13. By DRS on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Rocksalt, My fear is in LA.

14. By DRS on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Rocksalt, why can’t the Minnesota people see the benefits of having a new stadium in Minnesota?

15. By Rocksalt on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

mine too, DRS.
    I appreciate the links and regular stadium info you have provided over the past few years.

16. By DRS on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

I sure would like to see one near me, one in Santa Fe NM or El Paso TX would be nice, then I could see an NFL game and not have to go far to see one.

17. By Rocksalt on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

I dunno, DRS…….the cost to taxpayers argument seems to be “penny smart, yet puond foolish”….

18. By DRS on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Both are within 300 miles of me, and that is not far to go to see a game.

19. By Rocksalt on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

New Mexico.a beautiful state, the “Land of Enchantment”…with all due respect. to your state, I would prefer the Vikes remain the the “Land of 10,000 Lakes”

20. By DRS on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Rocksalt 100% with you on that my man.

21. By Rocksalt on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Later,, DRS……..

22. By DRS on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Rocksalt I would like that as well, but if the Vikings must move I would like to see them anywhere but in LA Area. I hope MN gets a clue someday soon and get this new stadium done so the Vikings do not go the way of the Lakers and the North stars. It is one of my greatest fears that the Vikings will move to AL.

23. By DRS on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

later my man.

24. By DRS on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Rocksalt and the rest of you out there I do appreciate all your input over the last few years and thank you for hearing me out on my issues.

25. By DRS on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Someday it would be nice to have a team in NM, though I know it is just a dream.

26. By DRS on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Thank you Mike for this response to me by E-Mail.

The Vikings have proven they’re willing to do whatever is necessary to find a stadium solution in Minnesota. Unfortunately, we’re now to a point where time is running out and eventually the decision will be taken out of the Vikings hands. At some point the NFL and other team owners will be tired of subsidizing this market.

Yes, I do expect the Vikings will make strides toward improving the offensive line and defense this year.

Thanks,
    Mike

27. By Parody on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Mike Wobschall –
    Do you have any inside knowledge on who the Vikings will be targeting during free agency? Most of us believe that the Vikings have to address at least one of their needs in free agency, so it’d be nice to know what the Vikings’ plan is on that front.

28. By DRS on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Come on Minnesota get with the program or there will be another Laker, North Star like happening in Minnesota.

29. By SAN JO VIK! on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Keep the third pick RICHERDSON? That was stupid trading javid best for toby gerhart he sucks and ponder sucks keep the third pick or trade it for PM payton manning mr.colt!!!!

30. By SAN JO VIK! on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Go Vikes make the time happen the time is now make the right moves to the right direction and make this puzzle complete we need a qb leader #1.

31. By DRS on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

SAN JO VIK! Really, So that QB will have to run for his life just as Ponder, Webb, Mc Nabb, and the rest of our QB’s have had to do for the last few years?

32. By Alex on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

So it looks like we are going to take Matt Kalil for or first round pick. In my opinion we need to take a deep threat for our first pick. We need Justin Blackmon. I understand that our OL wasn’t the best they have been in the past but what are we going to do with Charlie Johnson and Phil Loadholt. Loadholt is pron to penalties and Johnson did alright. I say if we take Kalil we need to get a WR in the Second round and take Chad Clifton to replace Loadholt. We need to get a few DBs in free agency, and a veteran WR also. We need to keep Adrian Peterson healthy and we need a QB because Ponder sucks. Sorry alot of you guys like him i dont i saw him play in person and he isnt that good. If we have and opportunity to get Manning take him because since we are addressing the OL we need to take a QB that knows how to play the game and be competitive and Ponder isnt the answer. Back to the Draft since we are taking Kalil for the first round, we need to take Floyd or HIll at WR for the second round pick. Then find a good LB and take him and then address the DB issue we have. If we do these things we will be a good team next year. GOOOOOOOOOOOOO VIKINGS.

33. By DRS on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

I think to many of you out there have stars in your eyes and cannot see the mountains that you are about to fly into.

34. By DRS on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

SKOL Vikings, later my friends.

35. By DRS on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Ooops that should have been LA not AL, was rereading my post and saw that, sorry.

36. By DRS on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Later.

37. By DeerTracks on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

DRS, Yes I agree with Ralph Nader, You asked, “voters do not want tax money for a stadium”? What kind of questain is that? That is like me asking you, “Have you stopped beating your wilfe”? Answer Yes or No…

I , as well as others have noticed a number of out-of-state Viking Fans that want the Minnesota Taxpayers to build the Zigi Wilf Gang a Billion Dollar Stadium

This state has a 3.8 BILLION DOLLAR Deficit!

The Infransture has hit rock bottom, remember the TwinCities bridge that fell into the river? The State of Minnesota need Schools, bridges, roads, etc, more then a Playpen for Rich Billionares..THe Peoples needs FIRST…Zigi SECOND if at all

Do I care, yes, but not at the price of making a Billionare happy, Ask Zigi to move the Vikings to your backyard in New Mexico…..

38. By DRS on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

DeerTracks I have and everyone makes fun of me for doing so. I would be willing to pay a little extra to see the Vikings play in New Mexico or even in El Paso Texas, which is only 100 miles from me.

39. By DeerTracks on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Will also add, we will vote EVERY Clown out of office the first chance we get, no matter how long it takes,,

We Voters have Looooong Memories. We will boot them out and move them down to New Mexico along with the Vikings….

40. By DRS on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

I truly Hope the Vikings will stay in Minnesota, But hope is fading fast.

41. By DRS on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

DeerTracks, that would be nice and we would welcome them with open arms.
    Have a great day my fiend.

42. By Shukin on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Can’t wait to see the vikes in LA, min is too far for me.

43. By DRS on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Sorry DeerTracks that should have been friend not fiend, just one of them days.

44. By DeerTracks on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Yes, DRS, I have had some of those…If the Vikings do leave, I do have a couple of others— Chicago Bears, SF 49ers, Green Bay—NOWAY!!!,

45. By Cedric Griffin is a better Minnesota Viking aka Shawn on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

WR- Stephen Hill from Georgia Tech 6’4″ 215lbs ran a 4.30 x 40 yard dash.

46. By Cedric Griffin is a better Minnesota Viking aka Shawn on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

If you read his bio he averaged just under 30 yards per catch and it says he’s a good jump ball WR ….

Sounds kind of like Moss (not as fast but close ) … with a limited route tree in Georgia Tech scheme

47. By Cedric Griffin is a better Minnesota Viking aka Shawn on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

WR- Tommy Streeter from the U … ran 4.34 x 40 at 6’5″

WR- Marvin McNutt from Iowa … ran 4.42 x 40 at 6’3″

so I now have my top 3 choices for the Vikings … my guess is Hill goes early 2nd and Streeter / McNutt could be gotten in the 3rd

So …

1st LT Kalil or if the Rams take Kalil … CB Morris Claiborne

2nd … Choices are so many here … MLB Burfict / Best DT / Best LT / S Barron

3rd .. WR Streeter / WR Hill / WR McNutt

ok ok thats a little vague

Kalil
    Burfict
    Hill

there

48. By Cedric Griffin is a better Minnesota Viking aka Shawn on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

WR Mario Manningham to the Buccs? Sounds like its a probability ….

49. By Chris A on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Hey Mike just wondering who do you think out of the recievers that the vikings could pick up maybe in the 3 round on that could be the next victor cruz or who of the smaller school recievers has impressed you the most with route running and all the attributes? And if Janoris Jenkins is still avalible in the 2 or 3rd round do you think the vikes will take a chance on him he does have a lot of skill and potential to be a shut down corner? Thanks!

50. By Cedric Griffin is a better Minnesota Viking aka Shawn on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Chiefs looking like they will Franchise WR Dwayne Bowe … Which means CB Brandon Carr will be free to move to Minnesota

51. By Cedric Griffin is a better Minnesota Viking aka Shawn on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

If this happens …

Vikings sign CB Brandon Carr 25yo

Draft LT Kalil SS Barron WR Hill

resign LB ErinHenderson and FS Abdullah

NICE !!!

52. By sandiamond on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Shawn our new receivers are on the field right now somewhere out there! Tampa has plenty of $$ for manningham , no big names want to come in Minny. harry douglas bout all we’ll get imo

53. By Spencer *8 Days* on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Carr isnt coming here. Hes going to want top dollar and there are numerous reports saying the Cowboys “covet” him. I just dont see any top Free Agent taking their talents to Minnesota this off-season.

54. By Tim on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Kalil,Kalil,KALIL> ENOUGH SAID!!! We would be crazy to pass him up.vikings.com

55. By Parody on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

I like seeing those numbers Shawn. I wouldn’t mind at all if we get a guy like Streeter in the third round. Stephen Hill sounds like he’d be a gem if he’s still there in the third round, so I wouldn’t hold my breath that he sticks around. The good combine numbers are only going to make it less likely he’ll be available.

Streeter is listed as a late 3rd rounder. So he might not even be available to us, since he’s producing well in the combine too. But it’s a bit more feasible that he’ll climb to the beginning of the 3rd round than Hill (currently a second round prospect) will drop into the 3rd round.

56. By OTKalil2012 on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Tommy Streeter looked absolutely terrible adjusting and shut it down on a ball thrown over is head to his outside shoulder…Reminded me off Troy Williamson…And because of that Streeter is off this fans wish list…If the Vikes want a shot at Stephen Hill…They “might” get a shot at him with their second round pick…S Hill had a “lights out” combine today…4.3 flat speed on the forty yard dash…And made great catches through all the drills…I saw one catch Hill made that was awesome…It was a ball thrown deep that looked like no receiver could have got underneath and catch…There is only one person that play reminded me being a young NFL receiver starting out…A rookie by the name of Randy Moss…Hill is projected in a lot of mocks as a 3rd round pick…Hill is going to go a lot higher than that after today…I can even see him going in the first round now..

57. By OTKalil2012 on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

WR Brian Quick is having a good combine…He would look good in the 3rd round…

58. By sandiamond on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Hope we can grab two receivers in rounds 4-5 since we will get a comp pick in there somewhere. Be done with it and forget about Blackmon. WR appears very deep this year

59. By sandiamond on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

* rounds 3-5

60. By Spencer *8 Days* on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Blackmon is the most overrated player in this draft. When will people realize hes not AJ Green, Fitz, etc…but more along the lines of Nicks, Crabtree, and Dez Bryant!

61. By OTKalil2012 on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

WR Michael Floyd is going to be a very good receiver…4.4 speed…Great hands and quick feet…Kendall Wright will be good also…These guys look like players that should go between picks 20 ~ 32 area…I really believe now Stephen Hill might be the 3rd WR off the draft board…Vikes might have a shot at S Hill or Ruebin Randle in the second round…Either WR would look awesome in purple !!…Kalil in the first round…Then either WR Randle or Hill…The Vikings would be on their way to a very solid draft…

62. By OTKalil2012 on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

I think Blackmon is a very good receiver…But have to agree with Spencer…I would not take him around pick 4~6…But more around picks 8~12 area…

63. By sandiamond on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

OTK what about a pro bowl cornerback? not likely found in rounds 3-5

64. By Cedric Griffin is a better Minnesota Viking aka Shawn on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

OK How about this if we cant land WR Vincent Jackson in FA … I would love drafting LT Kalil in Round 1 and WR S.Hill in Round 2 …. That would be a good draft

65. By OTKalil2012 on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

sandiamond…That’s the area of the draft I believe the Vikings will attack for cornerback and safety positions…In rounds 3~5…Remember the Vikings are hoping for 2 fourth round compensatory picks also…In rounds 3~5 I look for the Vikings to have at least one player for the secondary chosen a defensive tackle and a LB…Vikings I think will make one big splash during free agency…Maybe at corner or wide receiver…But don’t see them going into free agency at both positions…At least not until they sort through their roster after the draft…Hoping Frazier and company coaching the senior bowl pay off big time in drafting players through rounds 3~7…Especially rounds 3~5…

66. By Cedric Griffin is a better Minnesota Viking aka Shawn on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Kalil protecting Ponder throwing to Hill and Harvin for the next 10 years ???? :)

67. By Cedric Griffin is a better Minnesota Viking aka Shawn on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Kalil protecting Ponder throwing to Hill and Harvin and Rudolph for the next 10 years ???? :)

68. By animal26 on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

here are the receivers that the Vikings should be looking at in rounds 2-7; assuming we do draft Matt Kalil with the 3rd overall pick.
    Tommy Streeter, Miami

Chris Owusu Stanford

Marvin Jones California

Stephen Hill, Georgia Tech(in my opinion, he is the the best receiver in this draft, who is flying under the radar )

Michael Floyd Notre Dame

Devon Wylie Fresno St.

69. By OTKalil2012 on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

OT Kalil is the best and safest pick the Vikngs could draft with their 3rd pick if Kalil is still on the board…This guy has “pro bowl material” written all over him…Spielman would be foolish to pass Kalil up…Spielman can do all the trash talking he wants…But if Kalil is on the board when the Vikings pick at number 3…Kalil will be wearing the purple and gold for many years to come…This kid isn’t just a homerun…He is a grandslam !!…I read that statement on a diffrent blog…But couldn’t ring more true….Kalil becoming a Viking would be as big a feather in Spielman’s cap..As the was for J Allen…And this one will only cost the Vikings one draft pick…

70. By Cedric Griffin is a better Minnesota Viking aka Shawn on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

LOL I had no clue how much “Bloodline” is in this draft …

WR- AL Toons son
    RB- Dave Meggets son
    CB- Frank Minnifields son

What if we went all “Bloodline” in this draft

1st round LT Kalil … has a brother playing for the Panthers
    2nd round CB Minnifield dad played for the browns
    3rd round WR Toon dad played for the Jets
    5th round Meggett

71. By Cedric Griffin is a better Minnesota Viking aka Shawn on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

theres also RB Marc tyler son of Wendell Tyler old 49er RB

72. By OTKalil2012 on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

animal26…Devon Wylie looked like a football player at the combine…There were many WR’s with very good speed…Will be fun to watch more tape on players now after watching them at the combine….Lots of players have been added to my wish list so far…And so much more to come at the combine…

73. By Mike R. on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Ced

Thanks…now I feel old…lol

74. By Stoney on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

OTK, could not agree more. It would be foolish to pass on Kalil. We have other needs, but none as important as LT. Not just for the passing game, but Kalil will help with ground game as well.

75. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

God, i was 20 when Wendell Tyler broke in.

76. By Parody on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

CBS Sports has Chris Owusu listed as the 48th best WR in this year’s draft, but he’s lighting up the combine in speed and jumping ability. Plus, he’s one of the better WRs in the combine at the bench press too! His biggest concern is durability, with a couple concussions among his list of injuries. He could be a great steal in the later rounds of the draft…but we’d need to figure out how to keep him healthy.

77. By Parody on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Even with injury concerns though, Owusu is in the top-ten among WRs of every drill at the combine, so I’d be surprised if he makes it into the 4th round.

78. By Parody on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Kashif Moore looks like a good no-name prospect too. He’s listed as the 56th WR in this year’s class. Considering he’s only 5’9″, that’s not hard to believe. But he’s been making up for his small size with some freak athleticism. He set a new Combine record with a 43.5″ vertical. In comparison to the big names in the Combine, that easily gets him high enough in the air as many of the 6’3″ guys. He’s fast too, with a 4.4 40. Keep on eye on him as his draft stock rises.

79. By Spencer *8 Days* on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Just remember this- Denarious Moore was drafted in the 5th round last year and he absolutely lit it up last season for the Raiders. Hopefully we can find a player similar to Moore in this years draft.

80. By OTKalil2012 on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

David Wilson is going to be a good RB for some team…For those teams out of the running for Richardson…Wilson seems to have all the tools at RB..

81. By Parody on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

OTK – I don’t think we need to be looking at RBs in this year’s draft. Yes, our two best guys had some bad injuries last year, but I believe that both will be ready to go at the start of the season. I think we’ll be just fine if we look for a RB or two that went undrafted to add depth to the position.

82. By OTKalil2012 on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

That’s why I said “for some Team”….Not for the purple and gold…Just wanted to give the young man credit…Good looking player…Vikes have to many other holes to fill…RB not being one of urgency by ant means…

83. By OTKalil2012 on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Parody…That’s why I didn’t even want to watch the RB’s go through their drills at the combine…I didn’t want to see a “value pick” working out at RB…But have seen Wilson projected late second round in a lot of drafts…Looks more like a late first round player pick to me…I just couldn’t keep myself from watching the RB’s test out at the combine…But I tried…lol…hahaha

84. By OTKalil2012 on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

There is one position that a (wild card) pick for the Vikings in the draft…With Shiancoe most likely leaving…Will the Vikings invest another higher round draft pick (like rounds 3~5) if they have a sleeper TE they like a lot ???…They did pick up Shuler at the end of last season…But Shuler is mostly looked at as a blocking TE…What you guys think ???

85. By OTKalil2012 on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Have a good draft chat all…Have to go for now…Grand kids are coming over soon…Have a great night !!!

86. By 4eversteve on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Doug Martin is a complete RB out of Boise St.and after his performance at the combine today he may have moved up into the first round. Richardson is the #1 back in the draft, I could easily see the Pat’s taking him with one of their 2 late first round picks. The Vikings may have a chance to trade out of the #3 spot if another offers team the moon in the form of picks. Hopefully they jump all over it that happens, if not than Kalil will almost certainly be the pick at #3. Mike what is your opinion trading the 3rd pick overall even if Kalil is there?

87. By Parody on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

OTK – I’d hope that if they get another TE, it comes with the first compensatory pick at the earliest. We don’t need another starter, but it could help to have another guy in there who can give a fit to LBs in the middle of the field.

88. By Parody on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

4eversteve – The Pats won’t see Richardson. He’ll be long gone by the time they pick. Richardson is being compared in skills to AP, and the experts say that he is easily a top-ten pick.

89. By josh k on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Mike-
    This is a long-shot but hear me out. What are the chances we trade Ponder to the Colts to move up to #1 and grab Luck, and what other picks would we have to give up if they need more value for the trade.

90. By Carl K on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

I said it a few days ago, no need to spend big money on an old free agent WR.
    Draft Stephen Hill at the top of round 2.
    He maybe raw as an all around WR right now, but a year or two working with Percy and Mike Jenkins and he could develop into something special.

Hill is a dangerous deep threat guy that the Vikings need.

IMO, the Vikings are in the perfect position to draft Hill high in the second round and utilize his vertical skill while spending a few years to fully develop him as a true #1 WR.

He is perfect for the Vikings… Reminds me of a young raw Randy Moss.

91. By Mike R. on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

As far as TE, an interesting late round or UDFA is Taylor Thompson from SMU. At 6’6 270 he played DE and recorded 40 tackles and 8 sacks. In All Star game, he played his position coming out of high school,TE. He probably would been Combine invite if he was going in as DE

92. By KoN on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

I do’t think that we need to draft a te or lb before the 5th round this year (I guess it depends upon the compensatory picks). Even if/when we let go of Shiancoe and E.J. we shoudl be able to make due at those positions for a year; afterall, this rebuilding process won’t take just a single year. Kalil is a must for us, no matter how nice it would be to trade back and get more picks, we just can’t pass up on him. We should also be able to get at least one relatively big name (like Pierre Garcon or Stevie Johnson) wr in free agency. Then we work on dbs and one good reciever in rounds 2-5 and maybe a dt somewhere in there. Next year we can go after lbs, tes, maybe some more ol. Assuming it all works out, we should put up a good fight this year and be back in contention for NFC North champs by 2013.

93. By Mike R. on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Question to all…

RG3 said he talked to the obvious teams (Browns,Redskins,Bills) but he also talked to the Vikings..! He did not talk to Rams. Is this because the Rams are not going to take him and take other player? (please don’t say Kalil)

94. By Parody on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

The Rams just aren’t messing around pretending that they are interested in a QB like the Vikings are. I’m pretty certain they’re trading back, knowing that they’ll still have first shot at the best WR in the draft with some extra value out of the deal.

95. By KoN on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

@Mike R.
    I wouldn’t make that assumption, everyone knows that Kalil is an option for the Rams, but the most likely reason is that everyone expects them to trade back and pass on RG3 and that is probably their plan, so I would guess they figure, why hide it? As for the vikings interviewing him, I wouldn’t read too much into that, they had said that they wouldn’t pass on a QB if he looked too good, but I am guessing that is just a bluff to scare other teams into a possible trade. They made it abundantly clear throughout last season that Ponder is the guy going forward and I don’t think RG3 or even Luck would change that.

96. By Mike R. on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

KoN

I was thinking two situations

1. The Rams are trading back and they are letting teams talk to RG3 and see which one is more impressed and willing to give up a lot.

2. The Rams are staying and drafting BAP
    (Kalil,RG3,Blackmon)

97. By Mike R. on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

I know that these are only two things that can happen (except running out of time and the next team runs to the podium). What I am thinking is if Kalil is gone, now will the Vikings see who wanted RG3 and trade down.

98. By César Beligni on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

what do you guys think about WR Jeff Fuller? i think he’s great , you guys planing on drafting this player?

99. By Spencer *8 Days* on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Personally I dont trust any Big 12 WR thats entering the draft. They all went against inferior secondaries last season. I have yet to here Any Big 12 DB’s/Safties projected to go in the 1st or 2nd round.

100. By sandiamond on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

,,,,,,,,,,

101. By sandiamond on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

fuller, jones,sanu,quick… yellow flags

102. By Mike R. on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

WR who impressed me to take a look as a late rounder
    Hemingway,Michigan
    Coale,Va Tech
    Jackson,Mizzou
    and Kashif Moore,UConn (what a vertical!)

103. By sandiamond on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

4 mid-round TE’s, kool to get one of these from a comp pick

Peterson lsu
    Charles ga
    Green ull (converted wr)
    Egnew mizz

104. By Mike R. on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

sandiamond

I thought Egnew did good this weekend. I didn’t know why he was considered a draft pick until this weekend.

105. By Cedric Griffin is a better Minnesota Viking aka Shawn on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Mike Wobschall

Does Rick Spielman Really Want To Risk Turning Chris’tian Ponder Into Joey Harrington?

The most quoted line of Spielman’s this weekend has been that of, “There’s the adage that you go back and forth on. Is the left tackle that important or is it more important to have playmakers on offense?

Is Spielman really that STUPID ????????????

106. By Cedric Griffin is a better Minnesota Viking aka Shawn on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

If Kalil is available and Spielman pa’sses on him … The “Fire Chilly” crowd will seem like a night of BINGO at a Florida retirement center

Please tell me Spielman is bluffing …

107. By Woodboat on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

I HOPE that Spielman is bluffing, or the Wilf boys made a grave error in promoting him to GM. If he thinks that any, and I mean ANY, QB in the league would have success behind our garbage line, then he needs to be fired before the draft. A solid O Line makes the entire offense better. The QB has time to make his reads and can get comfortable. The runningbacks have actual holes to run through. The TEs can get out on routes rather than staying in to block Loadholts man for him. The WRs have the time to run their routes. WE NEED LINEMEN, SPIELMAN!!!

108. By sandiamond on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

top 5 D line and the list continues my friend.

reminder that the vikings passed on warren sapp many years ago and tampa reaped the rewards for a decade

109. By Derrick.G on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Draft RG gonna be a bust 3….and we’ll be no better than we are with Webb on our team already.

110. By Frederick Jones on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

@Shawn,

Yes, Spielman is that stupid. He also said that C. Ponder had to learn to get rid of the ball quicker like all other rookie QBs have to learn.

Man, if Spielman is an example of the typical GM, this country is in trouble!!

111. By Frederick Jones on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

aka Shawn,

I hope we get to Hollywood Spielman before that!!!

112. By Frederick Jones on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

@Woodboat,

I agree with you. Even if Peyton Manning came back the way he was before the neck injury, the Vikings would be 8-8 or worse with the line and d-backs the way they are now!!! And Peyton Manning would be finished or worse!

113. By Frederick Jones on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

:) Titus once credited me with getting Spielman hired as GM.

IF WE ARE GOING TO MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE AT ALL AS BLOGGERS IT WILL HAVE TO BE DONE AS ONE VERY STRONG GROUP!!! I think it’s great that you have bonded together to stay on one blog, fantastic.

About 75% of us are in favor of picking OLs and DBs in the draft (Order not with standing!!!). Let’s keep it that way, or increase our numbers.

I accept that I was an influence on the procedure of getting Spielman hired as the GM, but I had a lot of help.

Jim Souhan, sportswriter for the Mpls. Tribune was one of the biggest fan boosters. And then us Vikings.com bloggers stepped in.

We cannot allow the Vikings to MAKE A MISTAKE on offensive linemen and defensive backs for the THIRD YEAR in a row.

114. By Frederick Jones on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Some are worried that Webb/Ponder will not be able to lead the Vikings to the World Championship.

I’m not worried.

I was watching, and reading about the Vikings before 1969. That year some said that it was the offensive line that was the best part of the Vikings Offense. That defense had Eller, Marshall, Page, and Larsen.

Joe Kapp was, in many ways, an average quarterback. But he got lots of chances to attempt bombs to Gene Washington, and John Henderson. He only had to connect once in a great while.

The running backs Dave Osborn, and Bill Brown averaged less than 4 yards per carry. They got lots of chances because of that offensive line. Then again the defense put the offense on the field.

We need a great team, and do not be mistaken, it is rare in the NFL to get more than 20 guys working together. The Vikings may actually have pretty good talent, but there is very little commitment to team.

“Encourage” SPIELMAN to draft, and obtain offensive linemen and defensive backs. THOSE GUYS ARE TEAM PLAYERS. THAT IS WHAT WE NEED!!!

115. By Spencer *8 Days* on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Get over yourself Fred. You had absolutely Zero influence on us getting a new GM.

116. By Frederick Jones on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Pat Summerall, former NFL player, and play by play announcer along with John Madden said in his book “Giants” that it was a rare thing for an NFL team to have 20 guys playing together. And that is the key, as much as anything.

Offensive Linemen and Defensive Backs…all they have is TEAM!!!

117. By Frederick Jones on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

“They are running around like it’s a Chinese fire drill out there!”
    Hank Stram, KC Chiefs Head Coach of Super Bowl VI

WE ARE DOING IT AGAIN!!!

Too much emphasis about other positions such as QB, WR, LB, etc.

HAVE WE FORGOTTEN ALREADY!!!

WE MUST HAVE OFFENSIVE LINEMEN AND DEFENSIVE BACKS

Do not lead HOLLYWOOD Astray. He needs encouragement to pick the
    unglamorous pick. D. back yuk O line yuk

MEN…stay focused!!!

118. By Frederick Jones on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Joe Webb does have some negative qualities for sure. But what a HUGE upside this young quarterback has in the NFL!!! He has spent a lot of time as a wide receiver, which cuts into his overall improvement at the most important position.

He could make great improvements a s an NFL player, especially in the throwing game.

Remember Joe Kapp, and his jump THROWS. Imagine what Joe Webb could do if he acquired that skill. I hope we get some Offensive Linemen before he tries it, however!!!

119. By Frederick Jones on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

A lot of people do not know that JOE Webb had 1000-1000 yard years in passing-rushing his last two years in college!!!

120. By Frederick Jones on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

@Spencer,

I read what you said about Carr not being likely to come here.

I agree. In fact it’s going to be tough to do anything until the Vikings
    start winning again. Stadium, free agents, trades, etc., all will be tougher.

121. By Cedric Griffin is a better Minnesota Viking aka Shawn on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Does anyone remember how good the Cowboys OL was in the 90s? When they won 4 Super Bowls ? Does anyone remember how big the hole Emmitt Smith had to run through? If I remember right they had 3 Pro Bowlers on that OL …

yup i just looked it up BUT I was wrong they had 4 ProBowl OLmen

T- Larry Allen … 11x Pro Bowler

G- Nate Newton … 6x Pro Bowler

C- Mark Stepnoski … 5x Pro Bowler

T- Mark Tuinei … 2x Pro Bowler

122. By Cedric Griffin is a better Minnesota Viking aka Shawn on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

All 4 of those OLmen went to the Pro Bowl together in 1995 … 3 of them went to the probowl in 1994

the Coboys won 3 Super Bowls with that OL … 1993, 1994 and 1996

How can Spielman be So dumb ????????????????????????

123. By Cedric Griffin is a better Minnesota Viking aka Shawn on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

yea yea yea … I know it was 3 Super Bowls not 4 for the Coboys of the 90s

BEHIND A GREAT OFFENSIVE LINE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

124. By Mike R. on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Combine snub OG Joel Foreman,Mich St a potential mid to late round look. He protected Kirk Cousins with underclassmen on the line.

125. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Frederick Jones, I have wanted to ask you– are you related to THE Frederick Jones?

126. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

I remember those Dallas teams– they beat up the Bills really bad in two of those Super Bowls. And the Bills were an offensive juggernaut at that time, tearing up the AFC. But, especially in the second Dallas-Buffalo Bowl, the Cowboys O Line looked so large that the Bills defense looked like children– Dallas had their way. It almost seemed unfair. But that said– if we can get RG, we should take him.

127. By Frederick Jones on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Titus…you know we are all related.

Frederick Jones, born in 1893 was a great inventor.

I doubt if I am directly related to him.

That’s all I can say or I give away my secret identity.

128. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Frederick Jones, my father worked for the great inventor– in a way. I cannot say more or I give away my identity.

129. By Frederick Jones on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

@Titus,

I respect your opinion about Robert Griffen.

Why do you think we should take him over an OL?

130. By Parody on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Titus – Really? You would take RG3 knowing full well the roster situation of this team? I’m sorry, but I can’t agree with that in the slightest. We have 2-good young prospects at QB already. How many does a team need to be successful? You can keep on adding QBs who look like they’re going to turn into All Stars, but if you don’t spend the effort to get them the supporting cast they need, it will never come to fruition.

You can say, well we could trade Webb and/or Ponder after we get RG3, but the fact of the matter is that both of them are worth much more to our organization than any other right now. That will remain true until each man is able to prove his worth on the field. They can only prove their worth when they have the supporting cast to help them get it done. So forget QB! If RG3 is really that good, and he’s still around when our pick comes up, then the team should use it to their advantage to trade back a few picks and add more young talent in AREAS OF NEED!

So unless RG3 turns out to be a QB who can also single-handedly stop a bull-rushing probowl DEconsistantly throughout the course of a game, he should receive no consideration as one of the players we draft.

131. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

I work for a newspaper and get changed in phone booths. I cannot say more or I give away my identity.

132. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA – the main bloggers are in their prime tonight! Parody, if a Joe Montana or Tom Brady caliber talent comes along, it is once every 10 to 15 years at best. If RG is the real thing, I say go for it– bring in some O line over the next year or two. O line is the foundation, and necessary, but an O line cannot win the game– they set the structure to make the win possible, but you need the skill players.

133. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Nova, are you Spider Man?

134. By Parody on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

I went back in time and got mistaken for Calvin Kline by my own mother….

….somehow I feel like I already gave away my identity…

135. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

No, but we’re good friends.

136. By Parody on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

Titus – I conted that we already have the skill players. What good does it do to have Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger and Tom Brady all on the same team? That question goes doubly-so if you can’t give any of them the protection they need right from day 1.

137. By Parody on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

Nova – I find that hard to believe. You two aren’t even from the same universe!

138. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

I can get past that.

139. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

Faster than a speeding bullet……D@mn, another clue !

140. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

Oh, I got you now, Nova. Green Hornet.

141. By David on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

Mike, who would you expect most for the Vikings to pick up in free agency?

142. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

I agree Parody, but don’t be surprised if we draft a QB. Seems crazy, I know. My main point, beyond trying to stir the blog pot, is the Vikes will do whatever the Vikes want to do, regardless of all the Fred Jones in the world.

143. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

OK, here’s a BIG hint……A supernova (abbreviated SN, plural SNe after supernovae) is a stellar explosion that is more energetic than a nova.

144. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

AHHHH– NOVA!!! I got it. Finally. Napoleon Dynamite!

145. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

You win the Kewpie doll, Titus.

146. By josh k on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

high hopes for our first two picks. Kalil or Claiborne 1st, than the WR Hill or the S Barron 2nd.

side note: devin hester was picked like 2 or 3 picks after we took Cedric Griffen.

147. By Rocksalt on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

I respect Ralph Nader and all he has done over the years regarding safety and environmental issues…..but his chiming in on as to whether or not the people of MN should support a new stadium, is, IMO like his impotent run for president, puzzling, to say the least.
    He should really stick to the things he knows.
    Judging from the responses by a number of MN residents, one would think that ONLY MN has a budget deficit…..
    GUESS WHAT? Nearly EVERY state is in the red……YET they ALL seem to be able to afford an NFL franchise!
    All I hear from some is their whinig about taxes and crying about corporate welfare…wah wah wah…..
    WAY TO GO ,MN…..LOSE YET ANOTHER FRANCHISE CUZ YOU WISH TO SAVE 5 CENTS ON YOUR TAXES……DON”T SPEND IT ALL IN ONE PLACE!

148. By Spencer *7 Days* on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

Dam, Janoris Jenkins has 4 kids to 3 different woman? Antonio Cromartie Jr.?

149. By sandiamond on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

another red flag! He sticks to receivers like glue better than anyone else in the draft so he’ll still be gone around #20

150. By Spencer *7 Days* on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

I hope he falls to us in the 2nd round. I’d take him over Gilmore.

151. By sandiamond on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

right down your ally spencer!

152. By sandiamond on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

“Fire in their Belly” college bowl game players from previous blogs

Week1 Terrell Manning LB ncstate/ runner-up Audie Cole LB ncstate
    Week2 Fletcher Cox NG miss state/ runner-up Brandon Boykin CB ga
    Week3 Justin Blackmon WR osu/ runner-up Jamell Fleming CB okla
    Week4 Dant’a Hightower LB bama/ runner-up Dre Kirkpatrick bama

(phrase coined by puckertrucker) week 1,4 very few bowl games

153. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

When asked on the Wonderlic test what a condom was, Jenkins answered ” A city in California ” ?

154. By DeerTracks on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

Rocksalt…Ralph Nader knows more on the subject then you do…

The State of Minnesota does NOT own the “Franchise” Vikings..
    If you look up at that plateglass window box way up there, you will see Zigi and a dish water blonde setting next to him.. THOSE are the owners…..

Do you live in Minnesota? Do you pay taxes in Minnesota?

I wished it were only 5CENTS we would have to pay!!

Bug off, Out-of-state, Go join DSR in New Mexico…. …

155. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

When asked again, he answered ” A really big bird ” ??

156. By NovaScotiaVike on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

” Wait, wait,…….Is it short for Condominium” ???

157. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

Alex – I don’t understand how you seeing Ponder “in person” makes you a better judge of his talent. How does the TV alter what we see? (In Hollywood they say the camera adds 15 pounds)

158. By Craig on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

WR’s Blackmon, Floyd and Hill will be gone in the 1st round, so get that out of your heads. I tought Malcom Floyd was the best WR at the combine. I saw him play in a couple of ND games and he lite up the score board. He would be a great fit in Minnesota. However, none of these WR’s are at the level of Calvin Johnson (#2 pick) to Detroit. There has been a lot of talk about Cleveland jumping up to #2 and St. Louis moving back for picks, but I don’t think Mike Holmgren would give up two 1st round picks and a 2nd rounder for one guy. The Redskins are dumb enough to do it, but might not get a deal done in time. If St. Louis is stuck with the #2 pick, Matt Kalil will be off the board and we will have RGIII fall into our lap.

159. By DeerTracks on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

Oh Rockhard, err, Rocksalty, Will you please list the other states that have gallons of Red Ink??

Wait! Wait! Let me find my Adding Machine…

Better yet, YOU find YOURS……..

160. By Spencer *7 Days* on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

Its Monday….and the Mailbag hasnt been posted?!?!?

161. By DeerTracks on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

Spencer*7 Days*

Don’t know for sure which “Spencer” this is, there seems to be a ton of them

Which ever one this is, might just take a peek at the top of this blog…..

162. By Spencer *7 Days* on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

Its me Deertracks. I’ve been doing a countdown.

163. By Rocksalt on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

deer scat….
    wah wah wah…….
    Do your research…….many states with NFL franchises have MORE Deficit and HIGHER tax rates than whiny MN penny pinchers……..

164. By Rocksalt on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

and when the whiny [penny pinchers lose the Vikings, they will WHINE about that……..WAH WAH WAH

165. By Rocksalt on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

When viewed as a percentage of the full state budget, the task of closing these budget gaps can appear even more daunting. In Illinois, for example, the $17 billion 2012 shortfall is more than half the size of the 2011 state budget. Altogether, 40 states project shortfalls for their 2012 budgets, with a total that equals 19 percent—nearly one-fifth—of their 2011 budgets. Below are the ten states with the largest projected 2012 shortfalls, relative to their most recent budgets.

State Projected FY 2012 shortfall

Texas 10,000 22.3
    Connecticut 3,800 21.6
    Louisiana 1,700 21.2

US NEWS AND WORLD REPORT

166. By Rocksalt on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

BTW Deer scat-
    I pay what amounts to year -round taxes on a place I can only use in MN a few months of the year………but I am NOT WHINING ABOUT IT!

167. By Vikes66 on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

Minnesota should draft an O-lineman 1st and get a free agent top WR like Vicent Jackson and the next picks should be corner and safety if we don’t pick up a Top WR in free agency we should draft the top reciever first. When we had a number 1 reciever with Sidney Rice playing a whole season finally, we went to the NFC championship, he left and so did our effective air attack, then the 2nd pick get a corner which is our weakest and least deepest position then an O-lineman that will make the left tackle position competitive. I also think the QB position should be wide open, the reason we got Ponder in the 1st round is because we didn’t know what QB would be available due to the lockout situation and we only had Webb as a QB with no competition. Minnesota would’ve pick an O-lineman 1st last year if it wasn’t a lockout and when things went bad most of the fans wanted Ponder to get his shot because he was picked in the 1st round, but Webb showed he can play but because Ponder was a 1st round pick he was given the back up position the last pre-season game, I do feel Ponder showed he can play so the Vikes should have that it should be open competition, being that both QB’s are very young, athletic and talented (drafted a year apart from each other).

168. By DeerTracks on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

RockhardBungWHOLEWIPE…We don’t need PR(I)CKS such as you fouling up the air in Minnesota..Just drag your WORTHLESS Hide out of MY STATE….And STAY OUT or better Yet Move tro Wisconsin, you will fit right in…

The Vikings don’t need such worthless Roadkill such as you, even talking about the team…

169. By fan1vikings on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

? We could draft Blackmon or even go after plaxico and save the pick and get that OT at number 3. But most of all we need a secondary. It sucks bad. Or make a surprise choice and pay Peyton. Look how close we were with farve. So get the OT and plaxico as a weapon for Peyton. Just a thought that’ll make the O much better. The defense, man we could us the later rounds for that and free agency. Look into Samuel. He could help

170. By Craig on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

Looks like the Rams are going to trade out of the #2 spot, leaving us with Matt Kalil at #3. I’m okay with that pick! I hope we focus on O-line, Corner and WR with this years draft. With 10 picks, we could have three guys at each position to fix our weaknesses.

171. By vikings4seven on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

If the vikings have a game plan of going after a solid WR free agent i would love to have Kalil. Pass protection would be much improved and give ponder a couple more seconds. If we are not looking to do much in free agency we need Blackmon as a threat on the field. Then look to free agency on OL. End of the day we have no real threats other then percy and who knows how AP will be. Defenses are just going to pin there ears back and go after us with no real threats available. Blackmon reminds me of Calvin johnson and ask if the lions would be the same team without him and matt Kalil on the team!

172. By Ryan M. on Mar 1, 2012 | Reply

Okay, so most of last year, and all of the off season I have heard most Vikings fans cling to the Webb-Wagon (trade marked just right now). He is an amazing athlete, fast, powerful, makes a defense think. The problem with starting him over Ponder is that teams would plan for him on the field. Last season he was third string…moved to second. He didn’t start unless through injury of another. The people who picked Ponder as a second string to learn under McNabb did so believing he would be our man. So as a fan, we have our lows, we have our highs, but we need to stop pretending we manage the team. Ponder is our QB this coming season, give him the support and love true Vikings fans will give. Our role the Vikings team is the weather the storm, support our players, and love our team, win or lose.
    Skol.

173. By Ryan M. on Mar 1, 2012 | Reply

Our role in the Vikings team is to weather the storm …

174. By DeerTracks on Mar 1, 2012 | Reply

Where are you, Mike W.? MSNBC is all over the Net with “A VIKING Stadium deal that will be fixed sometime today….

175. By Bob Hall on Mar 2, 2012 | Reply

In regards to the 2012 NFL Draft. What MN needs to do, in my opinion, this is just my 2 cents. Since the Rams are getting all of the attention right now with the #2 overall pick to get Robert Griffin, why not make it publicly known that the Vikings would take less in trade, then what the Rams are asking for, that is, if RGIII is still on the board when the #3 pick rols around? Then the Vikings wil hold all of the cards, then other teams will be hoarding MN with trade offers and extra draft picks. MN is wanting to try and rebuild a bit with youth, so this draft, to me, is the perfect chance. Thoughts?

176. By Nevada Viking Fan on Mar 2, 2012 | Reply

As with the draft, Kalil, got to take him football begins with an offensive line. Can’t run the ball or throw it without an o-line. And come back in the second round and still pickup a top CB, becsuse all the good ones won’t be gone yet.

Now how about the breaking news today. The Saints bounty hunt on players. I definately thought the Vikings were robbed in 2009 NFC championship game. And they were, The Saints specificly targeted Favre.

177. By josh k on Mar 3, 2012 | Reply

why do we have remi ayodele he was one of the 2 tacklers that knocked out Favre in 09′ and hes not good anyway

178. By Mike on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

Why are we not even in the conversations for Peyton Manning or RG3? We have all the components except a starting QB.