Early this morning I’ll make the trek from my hotel room to Lucas Oil Stadium to get vikings.com’s coverage rolling on Day 1 of the 2012 NFL Scouting Combine. We have a lot on the docket for today, let’s break it down.
– Voice of the Vikings Radio Network Paul Allen will host his 9-noon (CT) radio show on KFAN from Lucas Oil Stadium today and tomorrow, and he’s asked me to join him as a co-host for two days. We’ll be talking Vikings and NFL for all three hours on both days, and during that time we’ll have plenty of interesting NFL guests. Already scheduled to join us are: Vikings GM Rick Spielman, Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier, Sports Illustrated writers Peter King and Don Banks, NFL Network and CBS analyst Charley Casserly, and NFL Network and Vikings preseason TV analyst Mike Mayock.
– Outside of joining PA on his radio show, I’ll also be providing coverage of the Combine for vikings.com by teaming with vikings.com Videographer Jordan Struck to ask players, Frazier, Spielman and other NFL personalities to join us for video interviews. We’ll set up near the media center early each morning along with the other teams who send their websites to cover the Combine. The media center is located in the East Club of Lucas Oil Stadium and the room is complete with tables for media members to set up the computers and equipment, podiums for NFL coaches and executives to use during press conferences and then round tables for reporters and players to use for interviews.
– The Combine is a week-long event and it’s invitation-only for the players. So about 330 of the top college prospects will shuffle though Indianapolis this week.
– Not all the players are here at the same time. The players are broken up into position groups, and then those position groups go through the various stages of the Combine on a staggered schedule. For example, the first groups to arrive here were the OL, kickers, punters, long snappers and TEs. They arrived yesterday, went through an orientation process and then today they’ll go through measurements, medical examinations, psychological examinations, interviews with teams and a media session. The second group to arrive will be the QBs, RBs and WRs. They’ll go through the orientation process today, then tomorrow they’ll do what the first group is doing today. The next group is DL and LBs, and the last group is DBs.
– Later this morning, Spielman will have a press conference at one of the podiums in the media center. We’ll record that and have it posted on vikings.com for you to view as soon as possible. Then Spielman will, hop on Sirius NFL Radio, join PA and me on KFAN and then meet with Twin Cities beat writers.
That’s it for now. I’ll have much more for you later, so be sure to check back in with us frequently.
Tags: 2012 Combine, Leslie Frazier, Paul Allen, Rick Spielman
Posted in All, Mike Wobschall | 91 Comments »