Catch Our Coverage Of The 2012 NFL Scouting Combine

Posted by Mike Wobschall on February 21, 2012 – 4:01 pm

For the 5th consecutive year, vikings.com will have a presence at the annual NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis and we encourage you to check out all the different ways we’ll be bringing you the action. I’ll be handling the writing portion of our coverage as usual, but we’ll also have a camera at the event, so be sure to check out all the cool video coverage provided by vikings.com Videographer Jordan Struck.

The 2012 NFL Scouting Combine will be held from February 22 to February 28, and vikings.com will be in Indianapolis from Wednesday through Monday. But our coverage of the Combine will continue throughout the duration of the event.

Beginning on Wednesday, I’ll provide written content from Indianapolis and then Jordan and I will combine for video coverage that will include: Rick Spielman’s press conference on Thursday, Leslie Frazier’s press conference on Friday and on-camera interviews with both Frazier and Spielman as well as interviews of college players, Vikings, national media members and potentially other NFL personalities that are typically found roaming near and around the event.

In addition to all of that, voice of the Vikings Radio Network Paul Allen will be broadcasting his radio show from the Combine on Thursday and Friday, and he’s asked me to join as a 2-day co-host. So be sure to tune in to his show from 9-noon to hear us talk free agency, draft, Combine and much more.

All of that is a lot to remember, but don’t worry because you can always visit our convenient NFL Draft Hub Page to stay up-to-date on the latest coverage. The hub page is your one-stop shop for the latest interviews, videos, blog entries and stories from the Combine in Indianapolis all the way through the 2012 NFL Draft.

We’re looking forward to another exciting NFL Scouting Combine and our best coverage of the event ever. Be sure to catch it all right here on vikings.com and the vikings.com Blog.

Tags:

166 Responses to “Catch Our Coverage Of The 2012 NFL Scouting Combine”

1. By Spencer *13 Days* on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

@Mike Wobschall- Are there any prospects you’ve seen that remind you of Oaklands WR Denarious Moore?

2. By Sir Greasy Panda on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

IF THE VIKINGS DO NOT DRAFT MATT KALIL “THE DANCING BEAR” I WILL RIP ALL OF MY HAIR OUT.

3. By OTKalil2012 on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

@ Mike W ~ Why haven’t you tried your luck at putting together a 32 team mock draft ??…It’s what sports writers do…I for one really enjoy your opinions…And I for one would sure like to see your own personal mock draft…Give it some thought Mike…

Can’t wait to hear about all the combine gossip !!…Start spreading some rumors Spielman…: )

4. By Tim on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

The Vikings better Draft Matt Kalil they will only have one chance.

5. By Frederick Jones on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

Sir Greasy Panda,

Why don’t you rip out Spielman’s hair?

6. By Frederick Jones on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

Spielman,

Do not listen to Mayock. He only has eyes for “skill” position players.

We need OLinemen and defensive backs.

Badly!!

7. By Frederick Jones on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

@Tim,

They HAD better draft Kalil. SHOULD, MUST, HAVE TO, WILL, etc.

8. By Spencer *13 Days* on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

Fred- If we do draft o-linemen early and often will that hush you up?

9. By Frederick Jones on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

Mike Wobschall,

Admit it, Spielman must concentrate on DBacks and OLinemen during the combine.

If he doesn’t, put a fork in it, cause we are finished.

10. By Frederick Jones on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

Spencer,

Will you shut up about shutting up!

I’ve been on your side more than any other blogger except Titus!!!

11. By Spencer *13 Days* on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

And I thank you for that, Fred.

12. By Mike B. on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

@Fred I would be happy with an OL, CB, or a WR in that first pick. Those are the biggest need areas and hope that Speilman will pick one. I don’t care for the idea of dumping Ponder for Luck or RG3. I think Ponder has the skills to be come a great QB.

13. By DRS on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

14. By GrandDaddyPurp on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

3rd Overall Pick- OT Matt Kalil (USC)
    35th Overall Pick- OG/OT Kelechi Osemele (Iowa St.)

Solidify the Offensive Line

15. By DRS on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

In order for the deal to become final, one more important thing will have to happen to avoid another letdown a la Arden Hills in 2010: the state legislature, the Minneapolis city council and the NFL still have to vote on and sign off on the deal.

Minneapolis mayor R.T. Rybak was pushing for upgrades to the Target Center to be included in the new deal, but his plans fell through after receiving mixed responses from members of the state legislature.

According to Rep. Morrie Lanning, the chief House author of stadium legislation, the inclusion of the Target Center would only sway votes away from passing a new stadium deal.

16. By Mike B. on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

@DRS why all the doom and gloom parts in the articles? Of course there is going to be opposition to the stadium, but the momentum is building. The Vikings have a tentative agreement with TCF while the new stadium is being built. Looks to mee that there will be final agreements shortly.

17. By Parody on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

Mike B – I hope it doesn’t come down to the Vikings playing 3-seasons in TCF Field. I’ve enjoyed going to at least a couple games a year for a while now, but I wouldn’t want to go through all the extra hassell of trying to find a ticket and then the extra hassell of working through parking. I went to the one game we had at TCF, and while it was a novel experience, I wouldn’t want to go through it again.

It’s bad enough going through the hassell of finding a parking spot and then waiting in line to get into the Dome, which is a primary reason that I would MUCH prefer the state allow them to build in Arden Hills or Shakopee.

18. By Parody on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

So why did we go for a week without a new blog on this site, then all of a sudden 3-new ones show up in less than 12-hours? It would be a lot better if Wobschall tried to stagger his posts so that we can have continued conversations without getting lost in the mazes of 600+ posts.

19. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

I agree with Sir Panda– bring in Kalil, please.

20. By Spencer on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

Man I had a fun time reading this blog. I cant believe Fred accused you guys of being racists haha.

21. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

Spencer, you need to be restrained!!!

22. By Spencer *13 Days* on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

….For what…?

23. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

Just because. Maybe you will stop your nonsensical rants.

24. By Spence on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

I havent posted any rants, and my rants make plenty of sense!

25. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

Maybe they make sense, but after a while, repetition becomes monotonous. Anyway, I am off to get some groceries.

26. By Viking-ology on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

Ponder says Kalil and I agree!

27. By bubby on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

28. By Northern Norseman on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

Just saying…… my favorite person in this upcoming draft for the Vikings would be Matt Kalil but I honestly wouldn’t have a problem in drafting RG3. Could you imagine Peterson, Harvin, Rudolph, Gerhart, and then tack on RG3?! That is a whole lot of fire power. Im also not saying I do not like Ponder because I do but the possibilities with Griffin are crazy. I just cannot see Griffin falling past #2 position so I’ll take Kalil any day.

29. By morrsi claiborne to vikings on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

Morris Claiborne

30. By Spencer *13 Days* on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

Since when is Cornerback more important than the offensive line?

31. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

O LINE!!! FYI– do not go into a Costco starving. I could hardly push my cart and had to yell at myself to leave.

32. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

We need to take the best O Line players — any moron would know that.

33. By Spencer *13 Days* on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

Too many people are fixed on the ‘Sexy Positions’.

34. By Northern Norseman on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

A big ol’ boy playing left tackle……. doesn’t get anymore sexy than that!

35. By Mike B. on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

@Parody I think that the shokopee and Arden Hills plans are DOA unless Minneapolis says they don’t want the Dome in the city. I can’t imagine them doing that. As I understand the new dome will be at the old dome site and the team will play at TCF for 1 to 2 years. Vikings have been talking with the U of M to get that part of the deal done.

36. By Mike B. on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

@Spence Fred is sensitive to racism, but most here aren’t racists. He tends to go off on those that don’t agree with him and pulls the race card pretty quickly. I didn’t like T-Jack or Webb, but I like Ponder, so it follows that I am racist. Is that logical no, but from his point of view maybe it is. I simply told him that the coaching staff was not sold on TJack or Webb being the future of the franchise and from their draft picks that stands out as fact. Since the head coach is black how can that be racist? I agree with Fred on somethings but not always. We don’t necessarily need to pick an OL or CB at the first pick. It could be a skill player as long as it fills a need.

37. By Mike B. on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

I see pulling the race card out too frequently is in fact racists.

38. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

Mike B– what I have seen is the option of TCF does not look good to the Wilfs, and especially so to the NFL. There is recent news the new stadium will be downtown but in a different location than the dome so the dome can remain home during construction– from the photos I have seen it looks to me like north of the Twins Stadium near highway 94–

39. By GrandDaddyPurp on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

3rd Overall Pick- OT Matt Kalil
    35th Overall Pick- OG/OT Kelechi Osemele

40. By Parody on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Titus – The most recent news I’ve read on the new stadium is that they’re trying to build it across the street from the current one. Something about the logistics of the construction supposedly will require the Vikings to play a couple of games in TCF during the final stages of construction.

41. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Parody, I am not certain of where– do you know what side of the dome? What are they tearing down?

42. By Frederick Jones on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

@Mike B.,

Well that is a s u c k e r punch to the g o n a d s!

43. By Frederick Jones on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

@Spencer,

Son of a Hamster that hurts!!!

44. By Frederick Jones on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Yes, well…

Spencer and Mike B. both have a certain rugged quality that some find appealing.

45. By Frederick Jones on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

The truth hurts “don’t it?”

46. By Frederick Jones on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

By Frederick Jones on Feb 1, 2011 | Reply

Let’s face it, it’s hard to judge who’s go to be a star at the QB position.

If you have followed the careers of Kurt Warner, Brett Favre, Johnny Unitas, Bart Starr, etc. then you know this is true.

What we have to do is get some offensive linemen who can, and want, to play football. That should be the goal for this year. Anything else is gravy !

WAS THIS THE ONE THAT HURT YOUR FEELINGS OR WAS IT BEFORE THAT? NOTICE THAT IT WAS NOT DIRECTED AT ANYONE IN PARTICULAR.

IT WAS MEANT ONLY TO EDUCATE THE YOUNG. BUT I DO UNDERSTAND THAT SOME PEOPLE GO THRU LIFE BLAMING OTHER PEOPLE FOR THEIR PROBLEMS.

IF THIS BOTHERS YOU THEN that IS your PROBLEM dude!!!

47. By LarsonFamily on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

I am back!!!

Now I have a few comments I want to say to you. I am very disappointed in you guys for placing the blames on me for the blogs against Shawn. I have already discussed with you guys about how I am very ANTI-Monkies, and or ANTI-Impersonates!! How dare you placing the blames on me while I am out of town for the 6 days vacations with my friggin kids! You guys needs to grow up and get your own mindset before you accusing someone that you are unsure of.

48. By LarsonFamily on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Shawn, I read the other blogs of what you said and you are definitely wrong. It has nothing to do with me in these blogs and you need to cut it out!! Not once I’ve blogged in there since last week Thursday. Now it occured to me that you are obviously the dumb one because you keep placing on the blames by your assuming things.When you are assuming things, you are always wrong and has been.

49. By LarsonFamily on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Spence- Please dont ever placed the blames on me when it doesn’t occured to me. I am not in your freakin gang about Chris Cook. I just happened to know that Chris Cook is a better CB than Cedric Griffen. You dont need to exggerate on him when we already know the facts that Chris Cook is obviously a better CB. Its obvious that the VIkings are going to cut him. Leave these two CB out of it. Cedric is gone, period. Now we got to hope for the best that Chris Cook gets to play next year because he doesn’t sounds like he is going to win in the court.

50. By LarsonFamily on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Now from now on you guys needs to investigate better than that. Respect me and I will respect you.

This is an opinions room, and not picking sides that this person is always right. So far nobody is right. You guys are just a bloggers that has a wishful thinking about how the Vikings organized their team to get a contender team in the playoffs.

Take it easy. I believe it is probably an outsiders from this bloggers, or someone that Shawn has ticked them off. I’ve read there is more than 5 people who dislike Shawn and it could be one of them or it could be someone that he dissed their opinions. This is a blogging room not dissing people’s opinions. Shawn you are never right, and quit controlling people’s opinions. Let them expressed their opinions in their own judgement ways.

Now lets be a Vikings fan all together. Lets hope we have a great Free Agent Combine to come!!!!!! Have a good week ya’ll.

Larson

51. By Rogerthevikefan on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

1st round LT Matt Kalil, 2nd CB Chase Minnifield or S Harrison Smith, 3rd CB Josh Norman, 4th OT Andrew Datko move to LG, 5th DT Akeem Hicks, 6th LB Depth, 7th Wr Depth. Compensatory picks can be spent on Secondary Compettion.

52. By Rogerthevikefan on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

If the Vikings get a 4th round compensatory pick then CB Cliff Harris should be the pick. The drop should make him humble and make him work harder.

53. By Rogerthevikefan on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Sleepy very sleepy…

54. By Mike R. on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

I want to see Minnifield’s skills. Did not get to see them in emotional bowl game ACC vs. SEC. He opted out of game to have surgery the following week. I understand he may have needed it or just wanted to be in condition for Combine. I just wanna see what he’s got…..

PS Boykin had a great bowl showcase. Scored on offense,defense and special teams. He looked pretty good..

55. By Cedric Griffin is a better Minnesota Viking aka Shawn on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

LOL Larson …. Im pretty sure Ive POed everyone except Nova at some point. Sh1t happens. So again your wrong. :)

I knew it wasnt you impersonating me and now everyone else does as well. Larson Im 99% sure you havent impersonated anyone on here, there is no mistaking your writing.

56. By Mike B. on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

@Fred It’s just an observation and doesn’t necessarily reflect reality. You have pulled the race card serval times here in the blog. So it is obvious you are sensitive to that issue. Racism runs both ways from majority and minority. Usually polictial correctness gives minority slack and allow racism toward others, but doens’t make it any less bad. I am not saying you are, but you are extremely sensitive to it. You may need to evaluate your position.

57. By Mike B. on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

@Titus it has been reported here in SDak that the Wilf are clost to a negotiation with TCF to play there for 1 to 2 years. It also sounds like the plan to put the new dome next to the old dome has been scr@pped now too. That is from that press conference yesterday. I think the Wilf’s will take any plan as long as they get a new stadium.

58. By Mike B. on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

I have said in the past the NFL is not going to give up on the Minneapolis market. It has been very profitable for the NFL. They have a several state area that support the Vikings and NFL sales in these small rural areas is strong. This gives a lot of leverage for MN to dictate what plan is going to work.

59. By Rocksalt on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

it will be up to the 13 MPLS City council mem.bers…….according to most reports, the majority opposes any plan without public referendum…

60. By Spencer on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Unreal. Look, I realize I would be the prime suspect in this whole thing. But Im innocent. It was clearly that gutless F-ck, LarsonFamily.

61. By Carl K on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Larson,
    Don’t take the blog personally… it is just a forum to share opinions freely.
    Some people display strong passion and persistence when debating ideas… and some times a person’s opinion can get old. However, over the last couple of years, I have come to enjoyed seeing the many characters and personalities at Vikiing.com. Sometimes comments make me laugh, sometimes I agree with them, sometimes they make me scratch my head, and sometimes they make me want to throw my computer out the window.

Respect is a wonderful thing, I will agree! 2 thumbs up to that! But if you are here seeking respect from strangers on the internet… good luck with that.

62. By Spencer *12 Days* on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Finally, today is here. Combine Day! Who stock will rise? Whose will fall? Who will shine? Who will dud? Cant wait.

GoVikings

63. By Parody on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Titus – This image indicates that the plan will go southeast of the Metrodome, slightly overlapping the current foundation. So I’m not sure how they plan to do it, but apparantly they’ll leave the dome alone until the end of the project, when it will be torn down to allow the northwest corner of the new stadium to be built. Depending on the timing of it all, I can see this plan forcing the team to play outside of an NFL venue for at least half a season.

64. By Parody on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Sorry, here’s the link to the image:

65. By Mike B. on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

it was reported on the Radio today that work is being done on the Metrodome site and they are close to a deal on getting it done. I am not sure if the information you are getting Parody is up to date. Yesterday it was reported the Vikings are setting up a deal with the U of M to use TCF. It looks to me that things are in motion and it will be done soon.

66. By Parody on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Mike – The image I posted was last updated this last Thursday, so I don’t think it can be that much out of date.

67. By Troy on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Where can you watch the combine?

68. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

“Since when is CB more important than O-Line?”

Because a good defense will shut down a good offense – it’s been proven time and time again – many years by the Vikings, this year by the Packers, the Saints, and the Patriots..

Look at it this way – even with our pitiful O-Line we still managed to score enough points last year to win games if our defense had stopped the other teams from scoring just one more TD per game. We’d have been 12-4.

Don’t get me wrong, we need to fix both O-line and secondary, and IF we fix both I don’t care WHO we take in WHAT order of the draft, but if we end up fixing only one this year, I sure hope it’s the secondary.

69. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Thanks Parody.
    Mike B. It could be on the metrodome site but news is that it may be on or near the dome site. With all the controversiy over TCF with the NFL and the loss of revenue for the Wilfs, it seems building a stadium not on the dome site is more likely. But who knows? You are in South Dakota– I live a few miles from the dome– and it seems none of use know for certain.

70. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

oops– none of us– I am multi-tasking.

71. By 61Vikings on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

I’m with you Northwoods, I would rather have a great defense than a great offense!! We’ve never had a shut down corner here in Minnesota, I think it’s time to invest into one this offseason, but if you have a strong front seven, you can make your DB’s look like all-pros!!!

72. By 61Vikings on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

@ Troy
    NFL network!!

73. By Kyle on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

agreed 61vikings, but does anybody know that we need targets for Ponder??? Sure we have tight ends who can catch but we need a reciever who can be the go to guy for ponder. Like Dalton and Green, Manning and Cruz, Vick and Jackson.. We need a reciever or two in this upcoming draft to help him. But with our first pick we should take Kalil and then start working at everything else we need. I think that we can still get Kalil if we trade our third pick to the Browns for their first two first round picks, and then draft Kalil with the 4th pick and with the later one we get lets get a stud corner back, a shutdown corner who with Chris Cook when he gets back can stop the best recievers in the NFL

74. By 61Vikings on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

No matter where the site of the new stadium, please make it out of something other than “glad” trash bags, like the old “homer dome”,Metrodome!! I would love to see the new stadium, resemble Lucas Oil Field in Indianapolis!! Other cities that have really nice indoor stadiums are Houston,Dallas and Arizona!!
    Go Vikes!!

75. By 61Vikings on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

@ Kyle
    I don’t think the Vikes need to spend alot of money in free agency on a WR, I would rather see us draft 2-3 WR’s in the draft, which would be possible with the 10-12 picks that we have!! If not for such a great need for OL and DB’s, I would say make Blackmon or Floyd our #1 pick, but we need to make Kalil our #1 pick and Minniefield or Barron our 2nd pick!! If the Rams decide to take Kalil, it could get very interesting for the Vikes, with RG3 staring them in the face!!!

76. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

We HAVE targets for Ponder, last year showed us that – they scored enough points to win games even with Ponder and Webb running for their lives, had the secondary stepped up. Imagine if we solidify the line he’ll have even more success hitting the same targets, the same targets will have more time to run a route, create separation, get down field, etc.

WR is just one of the major problems. Solve the DB and O-line problems first, then take an available WR.

77. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Sorry, WR is NOT one of the major problems.

78. By Rogerthevikefan on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Take the people I have listed and the Vikings could very well compete for the NFC North next year. If the Rams take Kalil trade back and draft LT Riley Rieff. Don’t fall in love with Blackmon M. Sanu(2nd round) is better and Brain Quick(3rd round) could develop into the best Wr of this draft class.

79. By Gary on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

What’s the scoop on the 5th rounder from the Giants as the second installment of the Rosenfels-Reynaud trade? Are we getting that?
    If we trade out of #3 with WASH, we get #6, #38, #113 (extra 4th rounder from OAK) and #163 that we owe them for McNabb. Extra 2,4,6 rounders for dropping 3 places.

80. By GrandDaddyPurp on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

It doesnt matter if our defense is good or not. If our Offense cant sustain drives and give the D more than 3 plays to catch their breath on the sideline then our D will see the same result as this past season. Maybe not the same but there definitely wont be the big improvement we all are looking and hoping for.

I dont know about you guys but I am tired of seeing the offense go 3 and out ALL THE TIME. The only way to change this is improve the OLine. Our D should not be on the field more than the O!

3rd Overall Pick- OT Matt Kalil
    35th Overall Pick- OG/OT Kelechi Osemele

81. By GrandDaddyPurp on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

3rd Overall Pick- OT Matt Kalil.
    35th Overall Pick- OG/OT Kelechi Osemele.

82. By GrandDaddyPurp on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Its not even about having All-Pro caliber players on the OLine. Its about players that grow together as a unit and play together. The OLine we’ve had the past couple of years has not been very good at its zone blocking, resulting in defenders having a clean shot at our QB. Getting in our backfield without even being touched! Im tired of it! This needs to change!

3rd Overall Pick- OT Matt Kalil
    35th Overall Pick- OG/OT Kelechi Osemele

If Osemele is not there at pick 35 then draft Kevin Zeitler or Amini Silatolu or Cordy Glenn. I dont care just get me OLinemen!

83. By GrandDaddyPurp on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

In Basketball the best offense is a good defense.

In Football the best defense is a good offense. Not a great offense or an elite offense but a good offense. And you cant have a good offense without an OLine!

84. By Mike B. on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

WR is definately a need for the Vikings. We don’t have that tall streaking down the sideline type Reciever. We have a bunch fo #2 guys and not a single #1. Harvin is a great receiver, but he doesn’t put fear in the secondary. That’s why they didn’t respect the pass last year and always kept 8 in the box. I think the team will either pick up a Top WR in FA or use a high pick for a WR in the draft. There maybe a #1 WR at that 35th draft spot. The key is what will the Colts and Rams do.

85. By Mike B. on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

@Parody I am just commenting on what I got for Ziggy’s press conference and the new release that was posted today. It is possible that the new site has a larger foot print than the current metrodome has and more land will be alloted. In that case the TCF use is a must. The local TV station posted that the Wilfs were working things out with the U of M on using TCF. I guess the Wilfs and the NFL are willing to deal with the loss of revenue while the new stadium is being built. The NFL wants to keep the MN market, so they are willing to put up with whatever to do that.

86. By GrandDaddyPurp on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

If we want an elite offense which a dont feel we necessarily need we would need a couple more good/great receivers AFTER we get the OLine. Im pleased with who we have at the “skill positions” on offense. I would be lying, however, if i said i wouldnt like it if the Vikings got a WR. But I know as well as all of you what positions we NEED. It starts with the OLine!

87. By Mark B on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

With all the needs on this team, I don’t think they can honestly mess up too much in the draft. There are a handful of good OL (Kaili being the best, but Mike Adams played extremely well against Coples in the Senior Bowl and Reiff should be a good tackle as well) and the crop of CBs in the draft is pretty good. I could see a trade back (staying in the top 10) and grabbing a Kirkpatrick/Jenkins for the secondary and picking up Adams (I think his draft stock will go up after the combine). One thought on WR – there are a couple guys that I think the Vikes should look at – Robert Meachem from NO and Harry Douglas from ATL. They are both speedy guys that can stretch the field but should be available for a reasonable price in FA. If played properly, the Vikes feasibly could get both for the price of a Vincent Jackson/Bowe/Colston.

88. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

I have to believe that Parody’s map from the Tribune is how the stadium will play out– adjacent to the current site, allowing for the dome to be used for much of the construction phase. I believe this, not only because of less lost revenue at TCF and it makes the NFL happy, but also because if you look at the map– once the new stadium is completed, there will be lots of room on the old site for a plaza and development that would be tied in with the new stadium– something I am sure the Wilfs would love.

89. By tdurfeightyeight on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

what if the Rams take Kalil at two? jason smith is busted up and is done at left tackle…who’s the new coach for the Rams? oh yeah a u.s.c. alumni.

90. By tdurfeightyeight on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

we need to hold the third pick as ransom… someone will trade with us for either RG3 or Blackmon.

91. By Parody on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

If the Rams take Kalil, we trade down. Move with either the Browns or Skins and get some extra picks out of it. At the least, an extra 2nd- and 3rd-rounder. Grab Reiff or Martin in the first instead, get a WR and DB in the 2nd, and LB and DT in the third. That would create a great foundation for the team to begin the rebuilding process on.

92. By Parody on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

tdurf – I doubt that anyone will be all that eager to trade for Blackmon. At least not enough to equate what the #3 pick should be worth. Then again,. the Falcons made a big trade last year to get into the top-ten for a WR, but I don’t know that anyone is willing to make such a bold move again.

93. By Rocksalt on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

mark my words,the city council will not be on board……

94. By tdurfeightyeight on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

draftniks have blackmon rated around 6th best,but some teams have blackmon higher…im just saying we best be prepared if Kalil isn’t there

95. By tdurfeightyeight on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

browns have two selections in the first and thats what they’ll need to trade up with us…sounds crazy swapping 4th for the 3rd and getting the 24th over all along with an additional third rounder…That’s how it equates.

96. By tdurfeightyeight on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Percy Harvin
    Randy Moss
    Randle McDaniel
    Chris Doleman

Your point?

99. By Rocksalt on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

the draft can be a c.r.a.p.shoot

100. By tdurfeightyeight on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

good point

101. By Rocksalt on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

there was a program on I thinks ESPN that identidfied all of Bellichick’s misses with the Pats……I was surprised….

102. By Rocksalt on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Of course, the networks wil focus on all the disappointing JETS drafts……

103. By Rocksalt on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Think what could have been if Korey Stringer had not passed away…..RIP

104. By Rocksalt on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

be nice to have Blackmon……….we need somoene to stretch the field and be a play maker Percy is good inside……..need the deep threat.

105. By Rocksalt on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

but Oline is primary……

106. By tdurfeightyeight on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Will this new stadium,that has been proposed,bring back tailgating?

107. By Rocksalt on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

I hope so!

108. By tdurfeightyeight on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

i agree the oline needs work along with the secondary…with receivers and linebacker corps being 3rd and fourth in line for need…that being said we need to take the best talent when we can.

109. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Yep– looks to me the old dome site will have picnic tables and grills.

110. By Spencer *12 Days* on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

We are in re-building mode. So to think we can get everything fixed by the start of this season is crazy. Lets just take things one step at a time. Linemen and Corners this year, WR’s and LB’s next year. We have to realize that a Superbowl this year is just unlikely to happen.

111. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Spencer, maybe. But anything is possible. If Spielman and Co. focus on our lines and the secondary, we are good enough to be competitive. If Ponder is who we think he is, with a whole off-season and a better line, we can score 30 points a game. And our schedule looks to me like the easiest in three or four years.

112. By Spencer *12 Days* on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Enough about Blackmon. He does not stretch the field at all! He played against mediocre secondaries in this Big 12. Hes not AJ Green or Julio Jones, his game is identical to Anquan Boldin in his prime. In other words, hes just a possession WR Dont get me wrong though, if we drafting in the late part of the 1st round I would have no problems going after him. However, since we have the #3 overall pick it would be beyond foolish to draft a possession WR.

Some young WR’s that have similar skill-sets to Blackmon are Crabtree, Dez Bryant, and Hakeem Nicks.

Nicks and Dez were drafted 29th and 24th respectfully, while Crabtree was drafted 10th. Crabtree sure wasnt worth a #10 selection.

113. By Spencer *13 Days* on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Something doesnt seem right about Manny, the ex CFL WR. When Cook came here his rookie season he excelled so much during the off-season that he was poised to start opposite of Winfield week 1. Now with Manny he couldnt even beat out Aromashadu, Camarillo, or Stephen Burton. Im starting to think the reason why he didnt hardly see any action is due to the cold fact that he flat out cant play.

114. By tdurfeightyeight on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

we have ten picks in this draft… lineman and d.backs and thats that? what if Poe is there in the second round? Or if Quick is sitting there in the fourth,then what? we need to take the best talent available at any of our week positions

115. By Spencer *12 Days* on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Ive never been a fan of drafting ‘talent’ over ‘need.’

116. By Spencer *12 Days* on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

I love how everyone is ignoring the new blog..

117. By Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

No one is ignoring it, Spencer. It is a tribute to the military– the bloggers leave it blank out of respect. We don’t want all kinds of nonsensical rants to litter an honor to our men and women in uniform.

118. By Cedric Griffin is a better Minnesota Viking aka Shawn on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Riiiiiight …. ;)

119. By GrandDaddyPurp on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Spencer- Talent over need got us Randy Moss. It got us Adrian Peterson.

I think there is so many holes on our team that drafting talent over need might not be as bad as you, I, or anyone else might think. As long is its not QB or RB.

I stand by my first 2 round picks tho

3rd Overall Pick- OT Matt Kalil
    35th Overall Pick- OG/OT Kelechi Osemele

120. By GrandDaddyPurp on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

A little change

3rd Overall Pick- OT Matt Kalil
    35th Overall Pick- OG/OT Kelechi Osemele/LB Dant’a Hightower/ A Defensive Back that fits our weak zone style defense.

It could go either way with the 35th pick

121. By Cedric Griffin is a better Minnesota Viking aka Shawn on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Priorities

1- LT …. should find a starter with the number one pick in the draft

2- SS … IMO Free agency is the place to fill this and my favorite is Tyvon Branch but CB Brandon Carr looks pretty good as well so if we get a little help from the football gods … Round 2 of the draft should land either a CB or a SS

3- MLB … tough spot. I saw the latest NFL dot com mock and it looks like Burfict could fall to round 2 … but we need either a corner or safety with the #2 pick so maybe franchising EJ to get 1 year out him or play Jasper on run downs and use Erin henderson for pa’ssing situations

4- CB … When Asher Allen becomes a starter for your team … you need more DBs . See above for the SS vs CB thinking …

5- G … If we take a LT with our first rounder than CJohnson can move inside

6- WR … I like the idea of getting VJax but with all the needs on this team need to suck it up for another year and ride with Percy, MJenkins, and Rudolph. Take a WR in round 3 and/or 4 … keep hope alive for SBurton and Manny

7- DT … sigh too many needs with this team so unless one falls in the draft probably have to wait till next year

8- resign Erin Henderson

9- resign Hussein Abdullah

Personally I dont expect more than 4 new quality starters …. thinking we will find a starter past round 2 is a dream. It could happen but not likely. Anyone drafted in round 3 or beyond could become a starter in a few years but probably not as a rookie.

122. By GrandDaddyPurp on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

I dont believe abandoning the Cover 2 will solve anything. That D can work if we draft players who fit that scheme. Chris Cook fits the cover 2 alot better than Ced Griffin did thats why he looked great when he DID play. Cedric came from Texas (my favorite College team) where they run more man-to-man defense.

123. By GrandDaddyPurp on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Shawn- Brandon Carr played alot of man to man at KC, and played it very well. Dont really know if he can be as successful in a zone-scheme defense

124. By GrandDaddyPurp on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

They dont have Dont’a Hightower going in the first round.

Whats everyone’s thoughts on picking Hightower if hes still on the board at the 35th pick?

125. By Cedric Griffin is a better Minnesota Viking aka Shawn on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

GDP … most mocks have Osmele going in round 1. So not likely to fall to us.

I like the draft thinking though. Draft best available. So many holes on this team the only sure things on the Vikings are Greenway, Harvin, Rudolph, and Jared Allen.

Toby should be fine with an MCL

Peterson I believe will make it back but might not be week 1

Winfield and KWilliams are getting old

Im still not a Sullivan fan but I have heard more positive thoughts about him l8ly

IMO Ponder will be good. Its really hard to tell with the worst OL in football though

So drafting any future superstar would help … always draft best available unless your 1 player away from a championship

126. By Cedric Griffin is a better Minnesota Viking aka Shawn on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

GDP .. yea I didnt get a full thought out on my CB vs Safety need. I meant to add if we get Safety in FA we should have no problem finding a CB in Round 2 and vice versa

127. By GrandDaddyPurp on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

I believe if there is any one position we should get in FA its a Guard like Nicks or Grubbs. Outside of the first round im not sold so far on this years OLine prospects

128. By GrandDaddyPurp on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

But yeah picking up a CB or S or hek even a WR in FA is not a bad idea either. You would think as bad as we were last season we would have alot of cap space to work with.

129. By Cedric Griffin is a better Minnesota Viking aka Shawn on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

GDP … there were 2 uncapped seasons in the NFL and the Wilfs had us like 30 millions over the would be 120 million cap so we are still paying for the 2009 season …. and Chilly

130. By Cedric Griffin is a better Minnesota Viking aka Shawn on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

I read in an article … Bernard Berrian will cost 1.6 millions even though we cut him.

131. By GrandDaddyPurp on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Shawn- I know and with such a solid FA class. So unfortunate for us. Names like Mario Williams, Carl Nicks, V Jax, D Bowe, and Finnegan. We could’ve had any of these players. Thanks Chilly.

Like he thought a new CBA would never be reached and there would be no cap limit for all of eternity.

132. By GrandDaddyPurp on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

I trust our GM though

133. By GrandDaddyPurp on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Will that 1.6 count towards the cap or will the Wilfs just owe him 1.6 like on the side and it wont count towards cap?

I probably sound dumb for asking

134. By Cedric Griffin is a better Minnesota Viking aka Shawn on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

NFL Mock … Osmele going #24

but MLB Burfict not in round 1 ….

135. By GrandDaddyPurp on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Yeah thats latest mock on NFL.com i saw Hightower aslo wasnt in the 1st round. Who do you like better Hightower or Burfict?

136. By Spencer *12 Days* on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Wait…so all we have is 1.6 million in cap space right now?

137. By Cedric Griffin is a better Minnesota Viking aka Shawn on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Dead money believed to be on the cap is for Berrian ($1,666,668), linebacker Ross Homan ($88,620), offensive lineman Chris DeGeare ($82,200), Cook ($62,500), receiver Stephen Burton ($56,925), Arceneaux ($50,000) and halfback Caleb King ($3,334).

138. By Spencer *12 Days* on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

I like Burfict better. I personally love a guy that plays with his heart on his sleeve. You cant coach passion!

139. By Cedric Griffin is a better Minnesota Viking aka Shawn on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

i thought Hightower was OLB?

140. By GrandDaddyPurp on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

After watching how Rolando Mc’Clain i think is his name and how he hasnt lived up to his 2nd or 3rd overall pick i believe im going off the top of my head here. Im not too sold on Bama defensive players.

141. By Spencer *12 Days* on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

I like that kid Dre though. But many people are saying he will make the transition to safety from cornerback once he joins a team.

142. By GrandDaddyPurp on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Shawn- not 100% on that if had a guess i would say yeah he is OLB

but one thing i like about Hightower is his physical attributes at 6-4 / 260. Great size for a LB

143. By GrandDaddyPurp on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Im sorry Mc’Clain was taken 8th overall. Man i was way off

144. By GrandDaddyPurp on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Burfict 6-3 / 250. Ideal size for LB

145. By Spencer *12 Days* on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Wow. They are saying Burfict may slip to Day 2 of the draft? I dont believe a player that talented will fall that far. But then again teams are sooo obsessed on drafting “character” guys.

I’ve said it once, and I will say it again. As long as you play well on the field, I can care less would you do off the field!

There is no reason why a player like Legerette Blount should of went undrafted!

146. By GrandDaddyPurp on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

By what I’m reading Spence your right Burfict can be very emotional. Thats a player we can use on defense. A leader whose very passionate like a say ray lewis?

147. By GrandDaddyPurp on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Ok I’m now officially sold on Burfict

148. By GrandDaddyPurp on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

People are saying he could be selected at the end of day 2 of the draft. We can pick someone else up with the 35th pick and move up mid to late 2nd round and get Burfict. I would be very pleased with that outcome

149. By Cedric Griffin is a better Minnesota Viking aka Shawn on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

Mike Mayock has dropped Burfict out of his top 5 LBs

Linebacker
    1. Courtney Upshaw, Alabama
    2. Luke Kuechly, Boston College
    3. Dont’a Hightower, Alabama
    4. Ronnell Lewis, Oklahoma
    5. Sean Spence, Miami (Fla.)

New entries: Lewis, Spence
    Out: North Carolina’s Zach Brown, Arizona State’s Vontaze Burfict

150. By Spencer *12 Days* on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

And thats what we lack…a passionate leader on defense. I honestly still dont even know who the heart and soul of the D is- EJ? Jared? I just dont know.

151. By GrandDaddyPurp on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

I NEED A FLUX CAPACITOR!!! I CANT WAIT ANY LONGER FOR THE DRAFT!

152. By Spencer *12 Days* on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

WOW. Alshon Jeffrey is FAT! Sweet mother of God!

153. By GrandDaddyPurp on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

It was our DLine when we had Pat and Ray. Those 2 along with Jared and Kevin thats was our D alot of continuity between those 4. Ray had all the talent to be a dominant force but had his head somewhere else with his boxing career or MMA career whatever it was. waste of talent

154. By GrandDaddyPurp on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

That DLine with Robision and Evans and Kennedy rotating in. That was a dominant Line right there

155. By GrandDaddyPurp on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

3rd Overall Pick- OT Matt Kalil
    35th Overall Pick- ILB Vontaze Burfict
    67th Overall Pick- CB Trumane Johnson.

After restructuring players contracts, maybe even cutting a few players(Hutch?) players this team should sign in FA: I would say Carl Nicks but his price will be too high for our cap. So Ben Grubbs (only one year older then Nicks) is the best option and wont cost us as much as Nicks. Tyvon Branch is another FA that should be signed. And Laurent Robinson would be my other choice for FA we should sign.

156. By GrandDaddyPurp on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

As much as I like Burfict I dont see him getting past the Ravens at pick #29. Ray Lewis has one year left and I’m sure they will draft Burfict and give him 1 year under the tutelage of Lewis and Reed. If he gets past the ravens then we have a chance. Dont forget the ravens took CB Jimmy Smith last year in the first round when nobody else would take him because of his “character Issues”.

157. By DRS on Feb 23, 2012 | Reply

There was a Minnesota Vikings stadium bill introduced Wednesday – but not the one Gov. Mark Dayton and others have been waiting for.

Rep. Rod Hamilton, R-Mountain Lake, introduced legislation to build a new Vikings stadium in Ramsey County’s Arden Hills and use money from authorizing electronic bingo and pull tabs to help the state pay for it. The stadium, according to the legislation, would open no later than June 2016, feature a roof, have parking for 21,000 cars and have at least 65,000 seats.

The Vikings would contribute at least $425 million toward the project, according to Hamilton’s proposal. Ramsey County would contribute $10 million yearly “as funds are available” and the state would contribute $549 million for construction and $101 million for any needed surrounding public infrastructure.

158. By Mike R. on Feb 23, 2012 | Reply

Maybe we get what we need in the draft to fill the holes (I know there are many) but if we can’t get a decent linebacker, I say wait till next year.
    Manti Te’o ILB from Notre Dame was projected to be the top LB coming out this year. He decided to stay for his senior season. He is hard nosed LB without the “out of control” attitude. The Ravens may be able to contain Burfict and his game playing attitude but the Vikings would not

159. By Mike R. on Feb 23, 2012 | Reply

As far as O-line, we need O-line! What surprises me is Joel Foreman OG Michigan St. He was not an NFL Combine invite! He protected Kirk Cousins (I think for season he was sacked 15 times). I think he is under the radar….

160. By dumber on Feb 23, 2012 | Reply

We need major retooling. Get the most valuable players in the draft. (QB) When someone else is on a playoff run and needs a QB, we can pull a Kolb style deal. Get s first and a proven O Line and/or db in a trade. One for one we will keep getting mauled by lions and bears. Was Mckinnie written off too soon? Do we just down/set and take it again? I am doubtful i can keep rooting for leadership tbat lacks judgement. Frazier/McNabb was the story last season.

161. By Gary on Feb 23, 2012 | Reply

I’m thinking – of course, not taking into account: free agent signings, trades, players released, the projections and evaluations Vikes have made on existing Practice Squad and back-up players, or changes made due to a “too good to be true” player being available when it is the Vikes turn.
    1 OT
    2 CB
    3 WR
    4 ILB
    4C S
    5 DT
    5C S
    6 RB
    7 OLB
    7 CB
    EXTRA PICK from final installment of Rosenfels-Reynaud trade???? BPA

162. By Rocksalt on Feb 23, 2012 | Reply

DRS-
    Include the WHOLE article…..do not hide the key political components

There was a Minnesota Vikings stadium bill introduced Wednesday — but not the one Gov. Mark Dayton and others have been waiting for.

Rep. Rod Hamilton, R-Mountain Lake, introduced legislation to build a new Vikings stadium in Arden Hills in Ramsey County. Money from authorizing electronic bingo and pulltabs would help the state pay for it. The stadium, according to the legislation, would open no later than June 2016, feature a roof, have parking for 21,000 cars and have at least 65,000 seats.

The Vikings would contribute at least $425 million toward the project, according to Hamilton’s proposal. Ramsey County would contribute $10 million yearly “as funds are available,” and the state would contribute $549 million for construction and $101 million for any needed surrounding public infrastructure.

The plan is similar to an agreement that the Vikings and Ramsey County have been pushing since last year — but which has fizzled because Ramsey County has been unable to develop a county funding source that key stadium legislators support. Hamilton’s plan attempts to address that by substantially increasing the state’s contribution to the project.

Hamilton declined Wednesday to comment on his proposal. The legislator, a whip for the Republican House majority, has not been a major public player at the Legislature regarding a stadium bill.

Vikings spokesman Lester Bagley said Hamilton’s plan seemed “viable” but said legislators needed to determine whether it had political support at the State Capitol.

Bagley however took a dim view of another stadium plan that is scheduled to be unveiled Thursday by three Republican state senators — two of them freshmen.

Bagley said the team had been briefed on the plan, and said an early version included having the state pay for stadium infrastructure costs and offer a 5.9 percent, low-interest loan to the team and others to build the project. The plan, according to Bagley, would have the team and its business partners pay more than 80 percent of the stadium’s cost and is not site-specific.

“[It] would not allow the Vikings to be competitive” with revenues that other National Football League teams in similarly-sized markets are getting, said Bagley, the team’s vice president for stadium development and public affairs.

Sen. Roger Chamberlain of Lino Lakes, Sen. David Hann of Eden Prairie and Sen. Pam Wolf of Spring Lake Park scheduled a news conference to outline the plan Thursday.

Both stadium plans come as Dayton and the Vikings continue to focus on building a new Vikings stadium at or near the Metrodome in downtown Minneapolis, the team’s home for the past 30 years.

After a meeting Tuesday with Vikings owner Zygi Wilf, the governor said he remained hopeful — but not optimistic — that legislation for a Minneapolis stadium could be passed before the Legislature adjourned in late April.

163. By Rocksalt on Feb 23, 2012 | Reply

Let the truth be known…….

164. By DRS on Feb 23, 2012 | Reply

Rocksalt, I figured that if people wanted to know the rest of the story they could read it them self. I was not putting out any political statement, just letting people know that there was a bill put forth. I did post this,

By DRS on Feb 23, 2012 | Reply

165. By DRS on Feb 23, 2012 | Reply

Rocksalt, most of what you posted was not in the site I had looked at and it does not sound good for the plan that Dayton and the Vikings are talking about. I hope that the City of Minneapolis can get the Votes to get the job done but like you I do not think they can. If that becomes the case I hope Dayton and The Vikings will reconsider Adren Hills.

166. By Rocksalt on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

I agree, DRS. I am disappointed with this whole stadium c.r.a.p. Will we just let yet another team move in order to be penny smart and pound foolish?