Three Who Stand Out For North Team During Senior Bowl Practices

Posted by Mike Wobschall on January 26, 2012 – 1:48 pm

We didn’t get a great look at the North team on Thursday because inclement weather forced practice indoors. But the North team had a week full of rigorous practices before Thursday, and I thought I’d point out three players who’ve stood out at times over the course of the week.

DE/LB Cam Johnson
Listed on the Senior Bowl roster as a LB, Johnson has played a lot of DE during Senior Bowl practices and he’s been a standout performer. He does a great job of setting the edge on the outside, is rarely pushed backward or out of the way, and he’s often times penetrating the offensive backfield to be a disruptive force. I know Vikings coaches have been impressed with his week, and both Mike Mayock and Charles Davis of NFL Network have confirmed to me that they think he’s had a good week as well.

Johnson is listed at 6-4, 267 pounds, and he’s a product of the University of Virginia.

CB Asa Jackson
A product of Cal Poly, Jackson is a small-school CB but he displays big-time ability. More importantly, perhaps, I’ve noticed big-time hustle from Jackson over the course of the week. I’ve noticed that he’s a player who is constantly around the ball, and there was an instance on Wednesday that really stood out to me. It came during 7-on-7 drills, and he was playing on the opposite side of the field to where a pass had fallen incomplete. As the pass hit the ground, Jackson sprinted across the field toward the ball, scooped it up, and then sprinted to the end zone. That’s the type of hustle play that might seem innocuous, but I believe it’s the type of hustle play that many coaches and scouts notice, and I also believe it’s the type of attitude a small-school player should display while trying to prove he belongs playing at the professional level.

Jackson is listed at 5-10, 193 pounds.

CB Leonard Johnson
Johnson makes the list mainly for a simple reason – he passes the eye test. He’s a smooth-looking athlete with good speed and quickness. He looks the part of a solid cover CB in the NFL. He’s listed as 5-10, 198 pounds, but I think he plays bigger than his listed size. We don’t see a lot of press coverage from CBs at the Senior Bowl, but I’d be interested to turn on the tape and watch him play that style because he has the appearance of a guy who would excel in that type of scheme.

Johnson is a product of Iowa State University.

Tags:

168 Responses to “Three Who Stand Out For North Team During Senior Bowl Practices”

1. By Spencer on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Imagine Chris Cook and Joe Haden on the same team…..

2. By Spencer on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Whose our Unquestioned Leader on Defense?

3. By Saddy on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

I would take that, looks like a good deal to me there are lot of CB’s that browns can develop and Vikings get to have either 4th pick or 21st pick and Haden, Let’s get it done.

4. By Carl K on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Spencer-
    If the Vikings trade RG3 straight up for Joe Haden that will be a bad deal for the Vikings… and a great move for the Browns. The Browns will turn around and draft Morris Claborne with the 4th pick.

If the Vikings trade the #3 pick to the Browns they better hold out for Cleveland’s #22 pick and Joe Haden.

5. By Parody on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Spence – First, Cook is currently out of the picture. Frazier has made it clear that his plan is to move forward as if Cook isn’t on the team, and we all need to accept that.

Secondly, I don’t care for the trade. It suggests giving up our first round pick for a single player. Granted, he’s probably worth it, the bigger need is still the o-line. IF we are going to make such a trade with Cleveland, I would hope that we get their late first-round pick along with it. Drafting a guy like RG3 should easily be worth the combo of Haden and the #22 pick, which we could then use to grab a decent tackle or a top-notch guard.

6. By Parody on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Ha! Carl, you beat me to it!

7. By Erik the Red on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Yeah, I feel like that trade would be a waste if we didn’t get at least one of their draft picks. I’m really excited for this offseason, the Vikes have an opportunity to make this team better, I would hope. Can’t always predict these things though.

8. By Parody on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

That link that Spence posted indicated that we are getting 10-picks in this year’s draft. Does anyone know how all those picks boil down? I know we gave up the 6th-round pick for McNabb, so there are 4-picks to account for. I believe a trade last year included a late-round pick this year, and I have been presuming that we are getting 2 compensatory 4th-round picks for the loss of Edwards and Rice, but I haven’t seen any confirmation on that. This still elaves one pick in question, which I would guess is one more compensatory selection in the 7th.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

9. By Carl K on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

CB Asa Jackson would be a great late round steal. The kid can run a 4.40 forty and return punts and kickoffs. 4 year starter at Cal-Poly.
    Some team will reach for this kid early. He is no secrete now.
    GOOD EYE Mike Wobby.

Asa Jackson is the kind of player that will look good at the combines and move up on teams draft boards.

10. By Parody on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Carl – From what you’ve seen of him, do you think that we could land Jackson with a compensatory 4th-round pick, or will other teams likely reach more than that?

11. By Ironman on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Wow! Parody should be given Speilman’s job, too bad he won’t be smart enough to make that trade! Probably will take Trent Richardson knowing him.

12. By Carl K on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Parody – Right now nfldraftscout.com has Asa Jackson ranked 212 overall (Pre Senior Bowl). I am hoping he doesn’t move up too high so that maybe we can use a late round pick on him… and a 2nd or 3rd round pick on another corner.

I am not sure how high Asa will climb but everyone seems to be saying he is looking good.

13. By Viking-ology on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

I don’t like that bleacher report scenario one bit. The #22 pick would have to come with it, and I still think we need a top OT.

14. By Carl K on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Parody – Rice was a second round pick for the Vikings… I think he will be worthy of 2 late round compansatory pick. I am not sure if Ben Leber will get us any compansatory pick?

Jimmy Kennedy was signed by the Giants… not sure if he will be worthy of a comansatory pick?

15. By Spencer on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

What are we doin with Shank?

16. By Mike B. on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Shank is a UFA, so he can be picked up by anyone.

17. By Mike B. on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

I think that if the Vikings get a chance to trade down to #4 and get the #22pick so Cleveland can get RG3. I think it maybe the Rams doing the trading though. This doesn’t give the Vikings Jack at #3 other than picking Kalil and the article says there is an issue of him being a true #2 pick. I don’ t think I would loose our top pick for Haden. even to take the #22 pick instead.

18. By animal26 on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Joe Haden and the Cleveland Browns #4 pick, for our #3 would be the only deal I would accept. The Vikings could kill 2 birds with one stone and have Haden and Kalil and that helps with 2 needs greatly.

19. By vikemike on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

The vikngs are going to have to get better through the draft because they will not be able to get any even decent free agents to come up here. No stadium, suspect coaching, and a bad team in all facets. They better draft GREAT!

20. By Shawn on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Haden is only 22 so its kind of like drafting a guy except Haden is a sure thing not a presumed sure thing. I agree with those that say Haden and the #22 pick though LT is still the biggest need and with the #22 and #35 pick we could still land a very good LT. WR Alshon Jeffery seems to have slipped in the pre draft rankings so imagine if you will

CB Joe Haden 22yo
    WR Alshon Jeffery with the #22 pick
    LT Zebrie Sanders with the #35 pick

FA SS Tyvon Branch 25yo
    :) :) :) :) :) :) :) Viking Fans

21. By Spencer on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

I agree Shawn. Except we should draft a LT instead of WR 1st.

22. By Shawn on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

the Browns should be head over heals for that deal they could get RG3 and either RB Trent Richardson or WR Justin Blackmon … giving them a good offense for the next 10-12 years

23. By OTKalil2012 on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Compensatory picks in the draft can’t be awarded until at least the end of the 3rd round in the draft…Very few 3rd round compensatory picks are handed out…Rice,T Jack, and R Edwards were the main free agents leaving that have the most value coming back to the Vikings in compensatory picks…Compensatory picks are judged for value in different areas…Amount of money the player gets the following season and size of contract…Rice,T Jack and Edwards all made decent money this last season…And all landing nice contracts…Impact each player had for the season plays into it also…T Jack and Rice each had a decent season for Seattle…Edwards had no major impact…Some call him a bust as a free agent…Just guessing here of course…But could see the Vikings landing 2 late 4th round compensatory picks because of Rice and T Jack having played a lot for Seattle and fairly well….And a 5th round compensatory pick for Edwards…He received a good contract…But had a poor first season…Cook will be interesting…Vikings don’t get anything unless he is released for bad behavior…If Cook sees jail time for a “criminal act”…That would be enough to warrant a compensatory pick…If he was released…Cook was injured most of his first season…And in trouble and not played for a lot of his second season…And was a second round draft pick…The Vikings have had little value from….It will be interesting to see if they can at least get another 4th round compensatory pick for Cook also…Maybe even a 3rd rounder…Seeing between injury and trouble he has seen the playing field very little his first 2 seasons with the team…All will be found out at the annual owners meeting following sometime after the super bowl…That is when the compensatory picks will be awarded for each team…

24. By Shawn on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Rice sucked … 32 catches for 484 yards and 2 tds

Michael Jenkins did better for a lot less …38 catches 466 yards and 3 tds

25. By Spencer on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Rice was amazing with Favre, Shawn.

26. By Shawn on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

lol thanx for the breaking news spence.

27. By Spencer on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Rd7#16 Comp current->
    #226
    rice/edwards
    #228
    misc

29. By Spencer on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Shawn…Whats your opinion on Brandon Burton?

30. By OTKalil2012 on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Shawn…What if the Vikes did trade the 3rd pick to the Browns for their 4th pick and Haden…Then the Vikes grab Claiborne with the 4th pick…Vikings have 2 shut down corners in their secondary just like that…Defense might look pretty good in the secondary next season with those 2 guys on the team…

31. By Shawn on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Hes young and still deserves time to learn. I dont recall anything good or bad from him so … still deserves time.

32. By Shawn on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

OTK … well That would be amazing but Im not sure its possible. I think Haden and the 22 is possible but i cant see Haden and the 4 …

33. By Spencer on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Wobbs- Can we get some info about the Minnesota Vikings and less about the Senior Bowl.

34. By OTKalil2012 on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

If I was the Browns I would keep both my first round picks…Hillis is most likely gone…Trent Richardson is supposed to be the next Adrian Peterson in some scouts opinions…Browns might just stay and grab Richardson…I see the Redskins being the team to move up to grab RG III…Shanahan and the Redskins owner throws away money and draft picks with ease…To get players they covet…I see the Vikings getting that trade…I don’t see Fisher dropping to number 6 in the draft…For additional picks “next springs draft”…And think the Browns will keep their 2 first rounders…RG III or not…If Spielman could get the Redskins 1,2, and 3rd round pick this spring…And their first rounder next spring…He would pull the trigger…I don’t think Fisher would…And miss out on player in the top five picks…

35. By OTKalil2012 on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Spielman is being smart…He has said already he is willing to trade the 3rd pick in the draft…I think he feels Fisher will not want to drop to the 6th spot in the draft either…And if your the Browns…And their GM feels the same way…Wouldn’t you rather give the Vikings your 4th round pick and your second round pick to grab RG III…Instead of your 2 first round picks…Let the games begin….Should be all sorts of scenarios being thrown out there before the end of April…: )

36. By Shawn on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

OTK … Yea the idea of the Browns making a trade is kind of far fetched unless they knew for sure that the Redskins were going to jump ahead of them. which would require a draft day leak from someone.

The Browns at #4 know that RG3 will still be there … unless like I said they hear of a redskin trade.

That being said … Maybe Spielman should initiate the #3 pick for Haden and the #22 telling or selling them the idea of having the QB and WR or RB of their future

37. By sandiamond on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Senior Bowl South Squad Def… something that must not be overlooked!! alltime greatest lineup of a front 7. south backs in practice can not Penetrate the line of scrimmage wall similar to BAMA’s national champions

38. By Shawn on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Spielman has trade history with the Skins …

39. By Spencer on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Shawn…Give me Ponders TD/Int ratio and yards for next year.

40. By OTKalil2012 on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

I see Seattle being a “dark horse” in the race for RG III also…Just think P Carroll might want RG III to run his young up and coming Seahawks team…No knock on T Jack…But still have a hard time here seeing T Jack as a franchise caliber QB…RG III could make that young team dangerous very quickly….

41. By TheRealDon™ on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Around draft day Vikings should say in a interview teams have been calling bout the 3rd pick then maybe teams might want to do business

42. By sandiamond on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Seattle very much interested in a star studded QB. Now if we can get Cincy involved (2, 1st round picks) all is well!

43. By OTKalil2012 on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

sandimond….Cincy does have an interest in what happens to number 4 ranked prospect T Richardson….Cedric Benson has worn out his welcome in Cincy…And they will be looking for a new starting RB…Cincy might be more than willing to trade up for a shot at Richardson…And they have 2 first round picks for ammo to play with also…If they like Richardson enough..: )

44. By OTKalil2012 on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Blackmon, Richardson, and Claiborne are players teams will be after also…Not just RG III…

45. By OTKalil2012 on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Forgot the other big man Kalil in that group…

46. By Shawn on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Spence that has to be next to impossible to guess. So many factors involved but in absolute best case scenario … I’ll say 3600 yards and 22 TD 16 INTs

47. By Spencer on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

I dont see why Blackmon is so highly touted. I doubt he will ever be an elite WR in this league.

48. By sandiamond on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Agreed ologoy somebody in the group could give us another Scenario for a trade-down. We just don’t know till after the combine and pro-day

49. By OTKalil2012 on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

If Luck and RG III go first and second pick….Vikings 3rd pick could be used on any of these 4 players…All elite talents…And all are supposed to be hands down the best in each area by position…OT Kalil…WR Blackmon…RB Richardson…CB Claiborne….All hands down the best at their positions in the draft…And all cosidered elite talents….The Rams are not the only team that have a chance to trade their draft slot…Vikings might do just fine with trade value even without RG III on the board….: )

50. By sandiamond on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

who?

51. By TITUS on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Spencer, I was not going to complain, but my thoughts exactly– about 12 blogs on the senior bowl while all kinds of talks and developments around the stadium happening, superbowl coming up, etc.

52. By TITUS on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

I think I have my pick for the Superbowl.

53. By sandiamond on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Titus u are back on a losing streak…….

54. By TITUS on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Sandiamond, I am a winner.

55. By Mike B. on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

@OT I don’t think there will be as many teams wanting to trade up for anyone other than RG3 or Luck. Not at the price the vikings will want for it.

56. By Shawn on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Cedric Griffin is a better Minnesota Viking than Chris Cook …

57. By Parody on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Carl – In reference to compensatory picks, guys like Leber and Kennedy moving on to other teams will be a wash with the free agents we acquired this year. Names of note include Jenkins, Ayodele and Charlie Johnson. None of them produced spectacularly, but the compensatory picks are gauged much more on the contracts that they signed. I looked it over back at the beginning of the season, and recall calculating the difference in players we lost to free agency and ones we gained, and came up with Rice and Edwards’ contracts above and beyond the ones we gave to the people we signed. In other words, TJackson, Ryan Cook, Ben Leber and JKennedy’s contracts added up to about the same as we gave to Ayodele, Jenkins, and Johnson.

58. By Spencer on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Shawn…can you clarify what you mean by ‘better Minnesota Viking’

59. By TITUS on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Spencer is honing his interrogation skills. Watch out Shawn. Bring it on Spencemeister!

60. By Shawn on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Spencer .. I have clarified it several times …. I just did that again because after a few refreshes and no other discussions taking place, I thought we I guess I’ll go with the sure thing debate. Im actually bored with that debate and was just looking to get a chuckle from my audience :)

61. By Spencer on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Why do you never say Cedric Griffin is a better Player than Chris Cook?

62. By Shawn on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Off topic … I realized something recently. Talent really does make or break coaches . Lets take for example the Ravens Defense. Ray Lewis and Ed Reed as well as some others have launched 4 DCs into head coaching gigs.

Marvin Lewis

Rex Ryan

Mike Nolan

Mike Singleterry

and Chuck Pagano was just hired by the Colts

thats 4 DCs and 1 LB coach who got head coaching gigs … so should we really blame the coaches or the talent?

63. By Shawn on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Spence I have always understood your point but you might just be starting to think about mine. Football is a team sport and I blame Chris Cook as much as anyone for the awfull season we had. the year before I blamed Sydney Rice as much as anyone untill Chilly cut Moss. Some might even remember me ribbing Percy last offseason for missing games. Which I was accused of being a racists for.

Football is a team game it takes offense defense and special teams it takes every player focused and dedicated. Chris Cook hasnt lived up to being a team mate. He is more interested in being a tough guy than he is being a Minnesota Viking.

64. By Derrick.G on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

For chr!st sake people……THE RAMS WILL NOT TAKE RG3…They have a good young QB already by the name of Sam Bradford.

65. By goldeneagle on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Is the Water Boy available to be drafted?

66. By Shawn on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

G A T O R A D E !!!!

Captain Insano

67. By TITUS on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

If there is a great quarterback, let’s get him!

68. By Shawn on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

the Ravens defense has had basically the same talent since 2000 and since 2000 5 defensive coaches have gotten head coaching jobs. was it the coaching or the talent?

69. By jv3rnon on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

They got to give 4th and Hayden

70. By Shawn on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Did Brian Billich make Cris Carter / Randy moss or did Cris Carter / Randy Moss make Brian Billich?

71. By TITUS on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

It’s not an either or question.

72. By VegasVike on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

The GREAT Robert Smith made Billick, Moss, Carter and Cunningham. The opposing teams stacked the box to stop Smith’s explosive runs therefore allowing Moss, Carter and Randall to play long ball.

73. By TITUS on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

No NO NO, Vegas. The Metrodome made Carter and Moss.

74. By Parody on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

I think it was hot steamy coitus that made all of them…

75. By Matthias on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

I would like to see either Claiborne, Reiff, Kalil taken with our 3rd pick. Still, after reading through several mock drafts, I believe that Kalil or Reiff are worth it… Dre Kirkpatrick will fall, because of the weed incident.

Here are the positions ranked from Mike Mayock, the best analyst out there:

76. By Rogerthevikefan on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

CB Josh Norman would bring the same type of physical play that Cook brings but with no off the field choking. Norman would be a better Viking than Cook and a better player than Griffin. Draft Josh Norman 3rd round.

77. By Rogerthevikefan on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Also draft CB Asa Jackson if he falls to the 5th-6th round range. Griffin and Allen need to leave. While Winfield is getting fraigle and Cook may be enjoying new living conditions.

78. By Matthias on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Nobody wants to go to Minnesota :(

WE need an othe DC for sure:

79. By Matthias on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

*other

80. By Matthias on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Hopefully we are drafting some real corners and decent Olinemen. I think we shouldn’t go after a wide receiver, just if he has amazing talent for that pick, but not higher than 3 round.

81. By sandiamond on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

test

82. By sandiamond on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

filter gods have spoken!

83. By sandiamond on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

ninth pick, j a y m e m i t c h e l l trade
    tenth pick, r a n d y m o s s trade

84. By sandiamond on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

#9 6th rounder
    #10 7th rounder

85. By sandiamond on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

86. By Specer on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

^Its been time. Hes a below average Cornerback. But he still refuses to make the switch…Why?!?

87. By DRS on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

NFL could block Vikings’ stay at TCF Bank Stadium

88. By DRS on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Vikings Stadium Plan Opposed By Minneapolis City Council

89. By DRS on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Earlier Thursday, Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak got a reminder that some on his own city council aren’t keen on his proposal for a new $918 million stadium at the Metrodome site.

90. By DRS on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Why not Shakopee? They at least want the Vikings to be there! Sounds like the rest of MN voters do not want the Vikings. MN the state of NO!

91. By DRS on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

We’ve heard numerous times that the Vikings are one of the teams that gets a bunch of money from the NFL’s revenue sharing plan because of the cr-appy lease they have with the Minneapolis Sports Facilities Commission and the fact that opportunities for revenue are already limited. How do you suppose the other 31 NFL teams are going to feel about kicking in even more to cover the $23 million per year (on average) that the Vikings would be losing over the three-year stint they would spend at TCF Bank Stadium?

92. By DRS on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Shakopee,Shakopee,Shakopee,Shakopee,Shakopee,Shakopee,Shakopee,Shakopee,Shakopee,Shakopee,Shakopee.

93. By sandiamond on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

mental toughness I guess spence. He wants to play 2 more years and retire a viking. Given the injury bug in our secondary we will need him

94. By DRS on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Minneapolis City Council Seeks Public Vote on Vikings Stadium

‘No voter will approve this anywhere in the state’

Read more: Minneapolis City Council Seeks Public Vote on Vikings Stadium http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/news/minnesota/vikings-stadium-public-vote-jan-26-2012#ixzz1kfV3v9go

95. By DRS on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Who cares what player the Vikings get if the state of MN refuses to get the Vikings a new stadium, Looks like the Voters will say good bye MN Vikings we need out taxes lower, MN the State of NO.

96. By DRS on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission chair Ted Mondale says a stadium bill involving Minneapolis will try to nullify a city charter provision requiring voter approval of any city contribution $10 million or more – an issue that has already divided the City Council.

“Please don’t do this over the heads of the city charter,” Councilwoman Betsy Hodges said. “The reason a referendum won’t pass is because people don’t want it.”

Read more: Minneapolis City Council Seeks Public Vote on Vikings Stadium http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/news/minnesota/vikings-stadium-public-vote-jan-26-2012#ixzz1kfX8Nbc1

97. By sandiamond on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

could the contact mystery city be London? Goodell wants a franchise there…yuk for the purple

98. By DRS on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Time to see if the Vikings will move or not with all this resistance from MN

99. By DRS on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

“For us to walk away from Arden Hills at this point in time I don’t think is very smart, because there are still issues that remain with regard to the Metrodome,” said Lanning, a Republican from Moorhead.

Specifically, the Vikings point out that pursuing the $918 million Metrodome site proposal would force them to play several seasons at the University of Minnesota’s football stadium, at significant expense to the team. The Metrodome site is viewed as having less room for parking and tailgating, and less potential to spawn new restaurants, bars and other entertainment options nearby. Lanning said he expects legislative opposition to the insistence by Minneapolis city officials that any football stadium bill include about $100 million for a renovation of the Target Center basketball arena.

100. By DRS on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Sports

Vikings Owner ‘Extremely Frustrated’ With Stadium Situation

January 24, 2012 3:30 PM

101. By DRS on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Have to go now, good luck MN, here is hoping that MN can wake up and get their a-s-s out of their rear-ends. Have great day, if you can.

102. By Mike B on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

There will always be stories about people not wanting the stadium here or there. Let the politicians work it out. Overall they know the new stadium is a tax gold mine, so it will get done. We just need to let the process work out and not comment on every little story of resistance out there and blow it up to MN will never want a stadium. The facts are they are working on it and need to tackle one obsticle at a time. The momentum is there to work on the issue and they will get it done. I am sure that the deal will get done and in MN. Most likely at the old stadium site as Minneapolis will eventually have to deal with what to do with the Metrodome. It’s like an elephant tied around their necks now. The deal will get done. just relax

103. By NovaScotiaVike on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

DRS, I’m curious…..how do you get your a-s-s out of your rear-end?

104. By NovaScotiaVike on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Sounds painful.

105. By ozzinator on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Nova, i’m still wondering if water does indeed pool on flat surfaces……..

106. By NovaScotiaVike on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

It helps if there is an indentation of some sort in the middle. In Howie Long’s case, I’m sure it’s large enough to tee-up a football in.

107. By NovaScotiaVike on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Sort of like a parking lot with a bomb crater in the middle, if you follow me.

108. By NovaScotiaVike on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Oz, it’s really quite simple. Picture Howie Long’s head. Now picture a one-story house with a flat roof. ( The house should be wearing gl@sses to make itself look more intelligent). The resemblance is uncanny.

109. By Mr. Mustache on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Vikings trophy case
    ______________________
    l l
    l l
    l l
    l l
    ______________________

110. By Mr. Mustache on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Where are the Vikings playing if they tear down the dome?

111. By Viking33 on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

The stadium issue is what it is going to be, it is a political issue now and it will not go anywhere until everyone has had a chance to be heard and all are satisfied with their pound of flesh. The other side of the coin on that is, this should have been started three years ago so it would have been done when the lease was up. Procrastination is easy to do, but it is not awesome.

112. By Viking33 on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Ahh Mr Mustachio – I picture you wearing those lame Gla-s-s-es and Mustache gag things…..I am not wrong am I?

113. By Viking33 on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

I think the Browns would sooner get a better Nickname and uniforms than trade Joe Haden….and we all know they had the chance to do that when the Browns/Ravens left town years ago.

114. By Viking33 on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

What does it mean when you say he is 5’10” but he has long arms…..are his arms disproportionate to his body? Or are you saying he is short, but it is ok because he has a positive arm mutation that makes up for it? If he is a hustler that plays with heart, I like him, regardless of his freakish handicap. We don’t judge people here at Vikings.blog…….well we do, but not like that anyways. ( This is my Sarcasm disclaimer for those that don’t know me )

115. By Viking33 on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

I will sleep better tonight knowing that we are open to trading our pick, I don’t think RG3 will be there, but at least Speilman has publically made me feel better. Maybe we can get the Jets to trade us Revis for the RG3 pick, I know I just said he won’t be there, but I want to play the hypothetical game too. Does it bother anyone else that they say Kalil is the best Tackle in the draft, but also that none of the Tackles in the draft are that stellar of a talent????

116. By Viking33 on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

I just got in a 5-peat – now a 6-peat posting, I feel good about that. Tells you the day I am having…

117. By Spence on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Wobbs. Can we get an update on OUR Players??? Winfield? Shianco? Cook?

118. By Derrick.G on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Mr Mustachio? What rtard helped you with that name?

119. By sandiamond on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Another small school cornerback tearing up the senior bowl “Bad Boy Bill” Bentley

120. By Nicholas on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Ok…so I was really up in arms a few months ago about how The Vikings apparently never even tried to contact Sidney Rice about retaining him as our WR.

For the record, I was totally wrong to be overly critical on The Vikings org for making such a move. Sidney Rice breaks like a piece of glass. He and his agent probably knew this and were looking for the first organization that could leech a bunch of money off of. Congrats Seahawks!!

SURGERY ON BOTH SHOULDERS FOR SIDNEY RICE http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/26/sidney-rice-underwent-surgery-on-both-his-shoulders/

121. By Nicholas on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

that they* ugh…typos

122. By NovaScotiaVike on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

The Seahawks can still use him. Just spray-paint his head orange and he can be a yard-marker.

123. By NovaScotiaVike on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

If Seattle signs Berrian, they could spray-paint him as well, then hook up a ten -yard chain to their ankles.

124. By NovaScotiaVike on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Chris Cook could tell them the best way to wear a chain.

125. By sandiamond on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

lol nova maybe the seahawks can use him for field gulls

126. By NovaScotiaVike on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Come to think of it, I’ve seen Chris Cook in orange.

127. By Nicholas on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

@ Nova haha, I would die laughing if Seattle continued to sign our rejects.

Chris Cook could also tell them the best way to choke out T-Jack the next time he makes a critical mistake.

128. By NovaScotiaVike on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

@ Nicholas…..The words ” T-Jack” and “choke” really go well together.

129. By NovaScotiaVike on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Someday we will all have to get together and shoot a game of pool on Howie Long’s head.

130. By NovaScotiaVike on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Bradshaw will be the cue-ball.

131. By NovaScotiaVike on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

No, forget that idea, he’s not smart enough.

132. By NovaScotiaVike on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

” Howie Long’s Head” would be a terrible name for a rock band.

133. By NovaScotiaVike on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

But ‘Shannon Sharpe’s Attempt to Speak” would be a GREAT one !

134. By NovaScotiaVike on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Why doesn’t Michael Strahan, with all of his $$$$$, not get his teeth fixed????…Does he keep his cigar there????

135. By NovaScotiaVike on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

And if they played the Senior Bowl in Mexico City, it could be the Senior Senor Bowl.

136. By NovaScotiaVike on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

And why does my mind come up with this ???????????????????

137. By Spencer on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Come to Pennsylvania Vikings!

138. By NovaScotiaVike on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

These episodes of “As the Vikings Turn” are driving me insane.

139. By NovaScotiaVike on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Actually, it’s probably more of a short walk than a drive.

140. By NovaScotiaVike on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Time to go, Sauna wants to play catch with her Michael Vick chew-toy.

141. By Nicholas on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

@ Nova Buh Dum Ching!

142. By Spencer on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Im starting to get fed up with Winfield..

143. By OTKalil2012 on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Brad Childress going to be the Browns new offensive coordiator ???…Wow…Good luck..

144. By OTKalil2012 on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Browns might as well forget about RG III for sure now…Childress will get the kid killed…

145. By NovaScotiaVike on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

( DECEMBER 2012 )……. The scene….Cleveland, Ohio……..( A Browns Press Conference )………”Coach Childress, why are we 1-14 and have scored the fewest points in the league :????????????……( Chili )……..” Lot’s of football left “.

146. By Spencer on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Why do people hate Chilly? I thought he was a good coach and the reason why he got fired was because of Favre! In 2010 they seemed to blame everything on him even though FAVRE was the reason why we lost games.

Week 1: 14-9(L) Favre threw 1 int.
    Week 2: 14-10(L) Favre threw 3Ints and fumbled in the Endzone.
    Week 5: 29-20(L) Favre threw the game losing INT.
    Week 7: 24-28(L) Favre threw 3ints
    Week 8: 28-18(L) Favre threw 1 int.

147. By Spencer on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

We lost because of Favre, not Childress.

148. By NovaScotiaVike on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Follow him to Cleveland, Spence.

149. By Spencer on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

I’ll take Chilly over Frazier any day.

150. By Spencer on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Welcome to Minnesota Solomon..

151. By NovaScotiaVike on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Everybody calm down. Being “highlighted” in the CFL is like being third-runner up in the Mike Wobshall look-alike contest…..Sure, it’s a form of recognition……

152. By Spencer on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

I never said he was good or anything Nova lol.

153. By Spencer on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

F—-n He|| Wobbs, ANOTHER BLOG ABOUT THE SENIOR BOWL? FOR F— SAKE CAN WE GET A BLOG ON OUR PLAYERS?!?!?!!?

154. By Viking33 on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

@ Spencer – he looks good on film but do you think he will be a better Practice Squad player than Manny? Those are some pretty big shoes to fill ya know.

155. By Spencer on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

I wished we would have seen some more of Manny last year instead of Burton.

156. By Viking33 on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

I think we are just signing guys from the CFL with weird last names and old English proper First Names. Trending up on those guys for sure.

157. By Viking33 on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

I do too – from what little I saw of Manny at the end he looks like a tough and tenacious Football Player – my favorite kind of Football Player!!

158. By NovaScotiaVike on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

I was going to watch the Pro-Bowl on Sunday, then I remembered that I had to pull my fingernails out.

159. By Spencer on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

V33, How would you “fix” the Secondary?

160. By NovaScotiaVike on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

The NHL All-Star game looks like a toenail job.

161. By Matthias on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Everybody thought that Randle wouldn’t succeed and we all know how it paned out.

162. By NovaScotiaVike on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

I live in Canada and I haven’t watched the CFL since 1970. There are 2 reasons….(1)……Cable television……..(2)…….The National Football League.

163. By ozzinator on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Good ones all Nova!

164. By Viking33 on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

@ Spencer – Fixing the Secondary……hmmmm? I would start with a new Defensive Philosophy, it seems to me that when you are unpredictable it is not so easy to disect you. The Cover 2 is VANILLA. What DB position are we lacking at if Cook comes back…..I don’t see it. Cook – Burton – Raymond – Winfield – Abdullah – Sapp – Allen there is good talent there and injuries were big last year. I liked Cedric Griffen, but outside of the last game of the year, he is playing like a guy that doesn’t want to get hurt. I would like to see them go more in the direction of the Giants and emplore 4 DE’s on the line that can play anywhere and focus the Defense on the DLine and Linebackers in the Draft. To say get DB’s to fix the Secondary is repetitive because they just did that last year. Our Linebackers are Average at best and also play a big role in the underneath Coverages according to the current scheme we use.

It is also hard to judge the talent we had last year going forward because it seemed we didn’t utilize the new guys unless they were pressed into action due to injury or when they played in meaningless games towards the end of the year.

The same could be said for the OL also as we drafted guys there last year and brought in free agents, but the young guys saw little to no action. You would have thought that the young guys couldn’t have possibly made more mistakes than some of the guys that were starting though.

So to answer your Question – I would focus on LB’s and DL, if a good DB was there for the taking though I wouldn’t pass on him. I also like Manny and wanted to see more of him early on in the year.

165. By vikings32 on Jan 28, 2012 | Reply

how about getting WR Nick Toon 3rd round

166. By dean flatness on Jan 29, 2012 | Reply

Juron Criner would give our wr corps a boost..

167. By deanathome on Jan 29, 2012 | Reply

we also need to draft a couple of ogs too..Decastro would be great but wont last thru the 1st round so maybe draft mike brewster who is a center,but move him over..Harrison Smith out of notre dame should be a decent safety.They wont be very high picks but i believe they could be productive picks for us.another player i wouldnt mind us drafting latter on is dt Tydreke Powell out of north carolina..

168. By Frederick Jones on Feb 5, 2012 | Reply

UH…OFFENSIVE LINEMEN MICHAEL WOBSCHALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!