Fast Facts From The 2012 Senior Bowl

Posted by Mike Wobschall on January 25, 2012 – 7:10 am

Yesterday I explained how an influx in underclassmen declaring for the NFL draft has added significance to the annual Senior Bowl. Today I thought I’d pass along a few interesting facts provided by the Senior Bowl that further illustrate the influence of this week and this game on the draft process.

– A total of 12 first-round draft choices played in the 2011 game and 83 players off of last year’s roster were drafted.
— The 2011 Senior Bowl featured two Top 10 picks (Von Miller and Jake Locker).
— The Senior Bowl has had a Top 10 pick for 15 straight years and double-digit 1st-rounders for 7 consecutive years.
— The 2012 Senior Bowl rosters include 20 All-American selections and countless All-Conference picks.
— The South won the 2011 contest 24-10 behind Florida State QB Christian Ponder, who was named the game’s MVP after throwing for 132 yards and 2 TDs.
— More than 250 media members have been approved for credentials to cover the week’s events and the Senior Bowl game.
— The South leads the all-time series in this matchup 30-26-3.

Tags:

53 Responses to “Fast Facts From The 2012 Senior Bowl”

1. By Swedish Viking on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

Thanks for the interesting facts, Mike.

2. By Carl K on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

15 straight years with a top 10 pick at the senior bowl might come to an end this year.

Quinton Coples is the only “senior bowler” with a real shot at being drafted in the top 10.

3. By Frederick Jones on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

I spent a lot of time researching claims about the St. L. Rams which proved to be bogus.

Unfortunately we are thinking a little bit too much like Spielman. That kind of thinking makes the Vikings 6-10, 3-13, repeat for 20 years.

Football is played in the trenches, and that truth will never change!

Rick “Hollywood” Spielman has said absolutely nothing (to my knowledge) to indicate he will take care of our OL and DB weaknesses.

Apparently Frazier thinks drafting a WR is more of a priority than taking an OL or DB. This thinking, coming from the HC, is VERY DANGEROUS.

But if Spielman and Frazier make those kind of mistakes, we won’t have to deal with them much longer.

NFL stands for NOT FOR LONG when you make those kind of mistakes!!!

4. By Matthias on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

@ Fred,

Frazier said that they are probably taking an offensive lineman in the first round.

5. By Carl K on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

Fred – can you say Matt Kalil 1st round!
    Can I have an amen and a smiley face!

6. By OTKalil2012 on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

So Dayton folds under pressure from Zellers (and company) and gives Zigy an “its the metro dome or nothing” ultimatum…Well I don’t see the Vikings excepting those terms…I know I wouldn’t…The state should be bending over backwards asking a successful business like the Vikings to stay in Minnesota…Instead they are handing them a “do or die” ultimatum ???…Wilf’s have done nothing wrong except do all what has been asked of them trying to get a stadium deal done…And the only thing the politicians have done is block a extremely successful business from being happy and staying in Minnesota…While even trying to clean up property that is condemned waste land…And bring in revenue to an area…That is totally blind too its value….Why do you think Mpls is fighting tooth and nail to force them to stay at the metrodump site Arden Hills…Because they make a fortune in that surrounding are because of the Vikings…That’s why….I love the Vikings…And never like seeing them lose…Not even very foolish politicians….I can’t blame Zigy if he moves now….He has done everything he can do…

7. By OTKalil2012 on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

@Shawn….Here is that info you wanted yesterday….Zellers contact info…ph 763 call him 416 this fan has more than once 0484…kurtzellers@gmail.com

8. By DRS on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

If the State forces the Vikings to the metro-dump site then the team should give 2/3 less in its part of the cost of building the thing! Vikings please do not be bullied by the State of Minnesota; you have done all they have asked just to be dumped on like this is so disrespectful! Have some pride in yourself and offer much less for the Dome-Dump-site! Please.

Have a great day.

9. By OTKalil2012 on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

If the metro-dome site is chosen…Look for the Vikings contribution offer to be far less and more like 250 million…Instead of the 428 million offered to devolope the Arden Hills site…Wilf’s can’t build hotels,restaurants,etc…Around the old metro-dome site…There is barely enough room for a stadium…

10. By DFish on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

@Fred, So maybe they do draft a WR in the first round? Maybe they draft a DB or an OL, heck maybe they draft a DT or QB. How about instead of criticizing the thoughts of somebody you cannot read for an action that has yet to occur, you take the time to explore thoughts on other things that occur before the draft; free agency being a prime example. I say let’s just wait and see before we all start ripping apart draft choices for a draft that is still months away. You can’t build a football team off of an NFL draft alone. You gatta look at free agency, other players that are not entered in the draft, players that are speculated to not get picked up in the draft, trades, players from the CFL, AFL and so on. If you can do a better job, then I suggest you start knocking on the Vikings front office door and show them your resume’.

11. By Rocksalt on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

problem is MN is only state I know of that has not found a way to capitalize on gambling…….acasino owned and operated by the ste of mn would easilty pull in 300 mil /year…….more than enough to structure a deal to help subsidise funding for stadium.
    A good number of Twin City peoplle do not want to pay anything…yet these same people will vote republican(mostly suburbs),,,,,to keep milionaires in the 15% tax category, while the MAJORITY of the people(Middle class working folks) are burdened with 30% tax rate.
    The IRONY is all the naysayers to use ANY public $$ to help fund a stadium are the same ones who will vote for the politicians who give TAX breaks to the RICH….Go figure…….

12. By Rocksalt on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

if the Wilfs are smart, they will sell the team to LA billionaire Ed Roski. Looks like the writings on the wall for this team. Great job, MN reuplican legislators……..YAY!

13. By Mike B. on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

@Fred The Rams did address the OT position in the first round in 2009 and second round in 2010. How can you say bogus.

14. By Mike B. on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

@Rocksalt I believe you are all wrong. I think the Wilfs will take the Metrodome site and live with it. They will get the new Stadium and that was their number 1 priority.

15. By Mike B. on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

The majority of the NFL owners have to approve a move or sale of a team.

16. By DeerTracks on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

@Mike B..That is correct……I certainly hope that that does not happen…

I do have an ace in the hole in case my (and Your) Vikings move…

49er gear is rather colorful..Will have some very old Vikings gear at a yard sale…..even Percy #12 stuff..Then hope he and J. Allen sgin on with the Niners at some time in the future…… ..

17. By DeerTracks on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

yawn…sign..

18. By Mr. Mustache on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

Mr. discount double choke had record games against you little Viqueenies. I’ve never seen a group of people more excited over 1 loss, that’s pretty sad. When you guys Brent Favre choked against the Saints I was over it an hour later. I guess that seperates winners from whiners. Here’s a tip, try being happier for your team to win than another team to lose. You might enjoy life a little more with a positive attitude.

19. By TITUS on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

Mr Mustard, still crying over your one loss? One loss and it was a biggie. One loss when it counted. The fact is you took the time to post on here– so who is dwelling on that loss? You got over it? Does not look like it, in any way, shape, or manner.
    It is just football, dude; get over it!

20. By Matthias on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

@ Mr. Mustache,

I guess you are from packer nation, or? Well if you should be a viking fan, what I don’t believe, be ashamed of yourself to call us “Viqueenies”…

Most of us fans just don’t understand why a championship team went to a 3-13 team. Still we are supporting our team, because most of us are true fans bleeding purple. A positive attitude is important, but sometimes you have to look in the other direction as well. What went wrong? What can we do? This are things I am trying to understand in order to find solutions.

The only reason why I wanted the Packers to lose is the following: Trolls ran all over the place bashing all teams driving me nuts. After the lose the trolling suddenly stopped and I could start to enjoy reading the articles again. My positive attitude increased, too. :)

I am sorry for the real packer fans, but not for these bandwagon fans… Tzz

21. By TITUS on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

Well, folks, looks like the new stadium WILL BE on the old metro-dome site. Wilf was said to be optimistic abut getting the new deal done, EVEN if it is on the current metrodome site. Just read that in the Seattle Times.

22. By DeerTracks on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

Guess my Viking gear is safe in my closet….

23. By Mr. Mustache on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

You missed the message. I don’t get that excited when the Vikings lose, in fact I wanted them to win the Superbowl so I would’nt have to hear all the whining. Plus I have some Viking fan friends. I’m just ribbing you guys, sorry if I offended you titus. So turn that frown upside down guys, things will get better.

24. By Mike B. on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

Hey Titus did I say that or what.

25. By Sir Greasy Panda on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

i am really hoping the vikings make a huge free agent acquisition. There is sooo much depth at WR that it would definitely give our WR corp a boost. I hope Kalil is available at #3 and we can shift the line around a bit. I cant help but believe that a deep threat WR like reggie wayne, dwayne bowe, marques colston will open up huge holes and 1 on1 match ups for Percy and Kyle Rudolph.

I really hoped last season we wouldve gone after jonathan joseph but there are good free agent CBs. I dont want to be like the redskins and give away draft picks and sign aging players but Ladarius Webb is a free agent and he is good.

Lets land a big free agent. a definitely impact player that makes players around them better.

26. By Rogerthevikefan on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

OT Matt Kalil will get drafted 2nd overall by the Rams. Then the Vikes will trade down to the Skins who will take RGIII while Vikes will get OT Riley Reiff(THE BEST OT IN THE DRAFT) and the Skins 2nd and 4th rounder. 2nd round CB Stephon Gilmore other 2nd WR Brian Quick(SENIOR-NORTH). 3rd round DT Derrick Wolfe(SENIOR-NORTH). 4th round CB Josh Norman(BEST PLAYER EAST-WEST SHRINE) other 4th S Harrison Smith(SENIOR-NORTH). 5th, 6th, and 7th rounds OLine depth and secondary compettion.

27. By Rogerthevikefan on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

I have stated so it will be.

28. By DRS on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

Great, it looks like the Vikings will stay in MN. Saddens that there will be no tailgating for the next 30 years. No parking as well. Never went to the Dome because of this, looks like I will not be seeing a Vikings home game for the remainder of my life time. Been to the old met stadium and was that fun. The Dome=0 SB’s, The Met=4 SB’s, Hmmmmm.

29. By Rogerthevikefan on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

Although if CB Janoris Jenkins falls into the 2nd round he will be taken over CB Stephon Gilmore. FA WR Dwayne Bowe and CB Brandon Carr should be pursued by the Vikings. Carr would bring stability to the #1 CB spot while Bowe and Quick on the outside with Percy working the slot would be difficult to slow down.

30. By Roninmn.. on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

Mr. Mustache has to be calipacker fan. ha. ha. Number 1 seed they were, What a discrace they are.

31. By Roninmn.. on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

Mr. Mustache. ha. ha. you loser

32. By DRS on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

Ooops here is the me that should have been after Saddens.

33. By DRS on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

Mr. Mustache, changed your name once more I see.

Have agreat day

34. By DRS on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

Well there is one thing that will be good with the Dome site, while they are building the thing the Vikings will be playing in the TCF field and in the open air for the next 3 years, maybe they can get a SB win during that time.

35. By Viking33 on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

Mr Mustachio – What do you want? Did you just run out of Kleenex? Who is even talking about your team that lost? You are not relevant – no one cares – wait til next year and all that. Go….hump your brother ’til next September and let us know if you can be relavant next year and have something to say worth hearing!

36. By Viking33 on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

The way the Government handles this Stadium issue is so like the way most things are handled through the Government. It is a wonder the State and Country have some of the issues they have. If the stadium gauranteed votes it would have been built already and had all the amenities you could ever ask for.

37. By OTKalil2012 on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

Just hope Vikings stay in Minnesota…And some kind of stadium bill gets passed that will have the Vikings sticking around another 30 yrs…Can’t wait for the draft…Keep thinking will the Rams trade their number 2 pick ??…What if Blackmon has a lights out combine…And some teams might be willing to give up the farm to get him also…RB Trent Richardson is a top ten pick…Would the Bengals trade their 2 first round picks to get Richardson with most likely letting Benson hit the road next season…Will the Browns really be that interested in trading up for RG III…They might need a Richardson also…If P Hillis is not signed to a contract this off season…And those 2 parties have been getting on each others nerves about a contract for a long time now…Hillis will likely be moving on….Just SO MANY scenarios that can happen leading up to this springs draft…Looking forward to it…

38. By Saddy on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

Mike Martin DT has impressed in Senior Bowl North practice, draft Mike Martin in 5th round and a DL of Jared Allen, Kevin Willaims, Mike Martin and Brian Robison would be lethal

39. By Saddy on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

Please draft this guy, Green Bay are already eyeing him Mike Martin DT in 5th round

40. By Rocksalt on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

Mike B, Titus……looks like you are right. At the time of my latest post, it was not settled.
    Well, let’s all hope for the best. I certainly do not wish for the team to move, but there appear to be a lot of angry “just say no” to everything folks out there…based upon blogs to STAR TRIB articles

41. By Rocksalt on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

I stil say MN should allpow state sponsored casinos to compete for gambling$$ from the native americans

42. By Viking33 on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

I hope they stay in Minnesota as well!

43. By Rocksalt on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

I also hope that the middle calss can rise up and demand a 15% tax rate that all the millionaires and billionaires enjoy. I can vote for that!

44. By Rocksalt on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

class not calss……I should have taken typing instead of woodshop in HS…..

45. By Mr. Mustache on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

The Viqueens went 3-13 the Pack went 15 – 1, and won thier 4th super bowl last year and you want to talk relavent. The problem with you queen fans is that you can’t take criticism well. Your team hasn’t won anything worth mentioning. So when a Packer fan throws super bowl wins, having a much larger fan base and a stadium to play in you Viking fans get all blubbery and throw out insults consisting of incest, weight problems, and other stereotypes that you would find in the dirty south. All that says is how insecure this expansion Viking team’s fans really are. Put up or shut up, or in other words if all you can do is insult others then your team sucks.

46. By sandiamond on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

Roger ouch worst picking of the week. those players not having a stellar senior practice week

47. By sandiamond on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

Green Bay sinking ship?

48. By Rogerthevikefan on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

@sandiamond which players? I think the Vikings brass may fall in love with some of the guys playing for the North. As for Michigan DT Mike Martin would be a great early down rotational run stuffer. Currently WR Brian Quick has a 3rd round grade but with some of the praise he has received from Mike Mayock and he should have a good game he could rise.

49. By GrandDaddyPurp on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Vikings gave the cowboys their 3 rings in the 90s. You would have thought this organization would have learned from that by now. 3rd round pick for randy moss whom the patriots got in exchange for a 4th round pick from the raders. two 6th round picks for mcnabb. you would have thought this organization would have learned from that by now.

The smartest thing to do is trade back as many times as possible acquiring as many picks as possible. Trade all the aging players, excluding JA, for as many picks as possible. whether it be picks for just 2012 or 2013 the more picks this team has the better for the long run. The “win now” attitude needs to be put to rest, and this offseason is where that has to start. Draft Oline and DLine. Game is won in the trenches

50. By sandiamond on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

Roger i’m just not a fan of selecting players from secondary schools due to lack of Competition level. Spielman had a terrible bust selecting ty. johnson #2

51. By sandiamond on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

From wednesday’s practice:

52. By Rogerthevikefan on Jan 26, 2012 | Reply

App. St. has been sending good WRs into the NFL for a couple seasons. I think Pierre Garcon (Colts) went there. Cecil Shorts (Jags) was a rookie last year and could develop into a solid player if Gabbert becomes even average. I’ll have to look up the rest but they do develop good WRs.

53. By seo on Jan 31, 2012 | Reply

Hi there! Someone in my Facebook group shared this site with us so I came to give it a look. I’m definitely enjoying the information. I’m bookmarking and will be tweeting this to my followers! Great blog and wonderful style and design.