Senior Bowl Update: Observations From Tuesday Morning Practice

Posted by Mike Wobschall on January 24, 2012 – 3:04 pm

It was an early rise here in Mobile, Alabama as Senior Bowl week rolls on and the North team continues its preparation for Saturday evening’s game against the South squad. Breakfast was available from 7:15-8:45 a.m. in one of the hotel ballrooms and then the team buses departed for Ladd-Peebles Stadium promptly at 8:45 for a 9:30 practice.

The ride from our hotel to the stadium is quick, and once we arrived on site the players quickly dressed and headed onto the field for warm-ups, stretching and then a 90-minute practice. Temperatures were in the mid-60s, it was mostly cloudy, but then the sun found a way to shine through the clouds for about the last 45 minutes of practice, making conditions ideal for coaches, players and observers.

Here are a few observations from my morning at the North team’s practice…

– I stood with NFL Network and Vikings preseason TV analyst Mike Mayock along the sidelines while the team went through stretching drills. We talked about various North-team related topics, but I found it interesting to note that he expressed excitement about watching the South team practice later in the day because he estimates there will be a handful or so of 1st-round picks among the South’s defensive linemen. Just something interesting to watch as the week goes on and we play the game on Saturday evening.

– The North team QBs are names even casual college football fans should recognize: Michigan State’s Kirk Cousins, Boise State’s Kellen Moore and Wisconsin’s Russell Wilson. I’ll withhold much judgment on them until we get later in the week when they get better timing established with receivers, but I will say that Moore and Wilson are much smaller than you’d imagine; both are less than 6 feet tall. According to the roster sheet distributed by the Senior Bowl, Moore measured in at 5-11¾ and Wilson measured in at 5-10 5/8. This doesn’t spell doom for their pro prospects, but obviously NFL coaches and scouts prefer QBs with some height so they can see over the offensive line and so defensive linemen don’t have such as advantage in batting balls down.

– I had one Vikings assistant coach mention to me after practice that Virginia LB Cam Johnson has had a good couple of days. This coach mentioned something to Johnson as he entered the locker room after practice and made reference to being anxious to watch the film of the day’s work. Johnson took the compliment well, kept walking into the locker room, and then paused before walking back toward us. He asked the coach when the film would be available. That’s a good sign to see from a player…wanting to watch film of practice at the Senior Bowl. You’d think if he wants to watch film of practice at the Senior Bowl then he’ll definitely be into film study when preparing to face a division rival during the regular season.

– One defensive lineman who constantly stood out to me was Penn State’s Jack Crawford. When I was observing him, he lined up exclusively at left DE and did a good job of both penetrating the line of scrimmage on some plays and staying home on other plays. An interesting note about Crawford is that he was born in London, England, and moved to the United States in high school with a dream of playing basketball. He didn’t play football until his junior year of high school.

– Another player standing out to me is Iowa WR Marvin McNutt. He’s a smooth runner, has the build and desire to be a physical receiver, and he didn’t drop a ball all day that I saw. He catches a lot of passes during team and 7-on-7 drills, which tells me that he’s either playing more than the other WRs and/or the QBs feel comfortable throwing him the ball.

– A few other WRs impressed at times, too, including Appalachian State’s Brian Quick during 7-on7 drills. Quick measures in at 6-3½, 222 pounds, giving him prototypical size for an outside WR in the NFL. This seems like a good group of WRs, but I’m looking for a little bit more out of Ohio State’s Devier Posey. I also like what little I’ve seen of Arizona State’s Gerell Robinson (6-3 1/8, 223 pounds).

Tags:

136 Responses to “Senior Bowl Update: Observations From Tuesday Morning Practice”

1. By DeerTracks on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Whoopee, 1st one..Big Deal…..

2. By DeerTracks on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

North, South huh……Well easy one to call…

Frazier calling the shots for those Northern Yankees….

South will pound sand up the Yankee’s rears…

3. By Frederick Jones on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Vikings61…

had one of the most inspiring posts I have seen on Vikings.blog, when he talked about the need for dominant offensive and defensive lines.

I’m very tempted to follow that line of thinking except:

Our defensive line is an average NFL Line because of Jared Allen’s dominance.
    Sure it would be great to get a similar type DT. But at what cost?

A reasonable defensive secondary would automatically result in an improved defensive line. AND OUR D-BACKING IS BAD, BAD, BAD!!!

In addition we are going no where with our OL. All of the first three picks should be spent on OLs or DBs. Crazy? Yes, but the Vikings are in dire straits.

The remaining money for trades and free agents should be spent on OLs, and DBs.

4. By Rogerthevikefan on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

How has Michigan DT Mike Martin looked? What about UCONN DT Kendall Reyes?

5. By Spencer on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Hows Winfield doing? Is he moving along with his recovery?

6. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

OK everyone contack Mark Dayton Gov of MN … I did.

let him know your from out of state. Let him know you spend money in MN let him know he’s failing everyone in his handling of the Vikings … LET HIM KNOW !!!!!!!

I did.

7. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

SS Tyvon Branch … 25yo … hasnt missed a start in 3 seasons … SS Tyvon Branch … 25yo … hasnt missed a start in 3 seasons … SS Tyvon Branch … 25yo … hasnt missed a start in 3 seasons … SS Tyvon Branch … 25yo … hasnt missed a start in 3 seasons … SS Tyvon Branch … 25yo … hasnt missed a start in 3 seasons … SS Tyvon Branch … 25yo … hasnt missed a start in 3 seasons … SS Tyvon Branch … 25yo … hasnt missed a start in 3 seasons … SS Tyvon Branch … 25yo … hasnt missed a start in 3 seasons … SS Tyvon Branch … 25yo … hasnt missed a start in 3 seasons … SS Tyvon Branch … 25yo … hasnt missed a start in 3 seasons … SS Tyvon Branch … 25yo … hasnt missed a start in 3 seasons … SS Tyvon Branch … 25yo … hasnt missed a start in 3 seasons …

8. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Check out Tyvon Branch’s scouting report

” Instinctive defender in coverage. … At his best in zone coverage where he can track the action and read the quarterback’s eyes. …”

BTW what team plays a lot of zone and needs a safety ?????????????

9. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Tyvon Branch ran a 4.31 – 40 yard dash

10. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

SS Tyvon Branch … 25yo … hasnt missed a start in 3 seasons … SS Tyvon Branch … 25yo … hasnt missed a start in 3 seasons … SS Tyvon Branch … 25yo … hasnt missed a start in 3 seasons … SS Tyvon Branch … 25yo … hasnt missed a start in 3 seasons … SS Tyvon Branch … 25yo … hasnt missed a start in 3 seasons … SS Tyvon Branch … 25yo … hasnt missed a start in 3 seasons … SS Tyvon Branch … 25yo … hasnt missed a start in 3 seasons … SS Tyvon Branch … 25yo … hasnt missed a start in 3 seasons … SS Tyvon Branch … 25yo … hasnt missed a start in 3 seasons … SS Tyvon Branch … 25yo … hasnt missed a start in 3 seasons … SS Tyvon Branch … 25yo … hasnt missed a start in 3 seasons … SS Tyvon Branch … 25yo … hasnt missed a start in 3 seasos …

11. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

12. By OTKalil2012 on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Shawn…Its not Dayton who is throwing the monkey wrench into the stadium drive…You want to contact the trouble maker…Contact House rep Zellers with a phone call…It is Zellers is the guy causing most of the problems…I am sad to say I voted for that dude also…A mistake I will fix next time his name is on the ballot for reelection…

13. By Spencer on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Shawn- Branch would be a great addition.

14. By Saddy on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Hi Mike W,

I have been reading other reports on Tuesday practice and they said exactly what you have been observing

WR Marvin Mcnutt has struggled and has dropped catches and on other WR’s

The WR that has impressed everyone has been TJ Graham …

I don’t know which one is true …but It’s good that our vikings coaches and spielman make the right decision to bolster our team.

15. By Carl K on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Shawn- Laron Landry may need surgery on his achilles… I am jumping on the Tyvon Branch bandwagon too.

16. By TITUS on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Why all the blogs all of a sudden? Now just when the bloggers get in discussion, it is interrupted by a new blog. This is very poor planning and management for the fans’ experience. Each playoff game should have had a blog. We went on for over eleven hundred postings on a recent blog because someone was eating doritos and not posting new blogs.

17. By Spencer on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Lol Titus. You are never satisfied.

18. By TITUS on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Spencer, will you still be a Vikings fan if they play in a sub-tropical climate?

19. By Spencer on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Well since I dont live in MN, I would still be a fan of the Vikings. But thats ONLY if they keep the jerseys, the name, and everything intact!

20. By Spencer on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

You gotta answer me quick Titus, there should be another blog poppin up anytime now.

21. By TITUS on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Sp e n c e r r I a m f a d i n g !

22. By Spencer on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

lmfao.

23. By TITUS on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

I don’t know who to root for in the Superbowl– both teams are my favorite.

24. By Sir Greasy Panda on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

i hope the giants beat the patriots AGAIN! out here in california there is band wagon fever so all these “pats” fans are ever where like packer fa… i mean 49ers fa… i mean giants fans. who knows? haha that is why i dont want our beloved vikings to move out here.

25. By Sir Greasy Panda on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

@ titus- i know you bike a lot and awhile back you asked about the weather out here for the month of january its only dropped lower than 60 a couple times during the day. for a week straight it was in the high 80s

26. By Sir Greasy Panda on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

I saw mike mayock has the OT our of iowa ranked higher than kalil from USC??? ive never seen a hawk eye game before so i have no idea, but i thought kalil was the hands down #1 OT in the draft? at least im hoping the vikes get him

27. By Viking-ology on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Blah, blah, blog…

28. By Viking-ology on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

S.G.P.-Kalil is ranked #1 which guy does he have ahead of him?

29. By Viking-ology on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Ponder-approved pick: OT 1st round

30. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

@OTKalil … give me his contact. Im not shy. :) I’ll put my biggest liberal D’head hat on.

31. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

@Saddy … i dont know where you got the McNutt drop info? but I watched the practice on NFL Network and McNutt like Wobs said was snagging everything. Of course I didnt see every single pass like Wobs stated but I didnt see a drop

32. By sandiamond on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Titus, Wobs stated he arrived in Mobile Monday afternoon so he missed yesterday’s practice/activities. I get script errors on that 1000+ blog

33. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

@Carl K … yea I originally was on the Landry wagon but as soon as I saw hes only played 17 games in the last 2 seasons ( 9 and 8 ) I thought about Sydney Rice and ran away from the wagon fast.

If we had Cook and Landry on the same team ? Who would play ? Cant count on those guys so I guess we are right back to Asher and Ced Griffin … at least they are reliable.

34. By Spencer on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Another dig at Cook huh Shawn? At least he produces, unlike that waste of a space that is Cedric Griffin.

35. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Spence … LOL your standards of production are really low. 6 games a year good enough for you? Pacman Jones had a ton of “potential” ….

36. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Cedric Griffin is a better Minnesota Viking than Chris Cook.

37. By sandiamond on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

#vikings coach Leslie Frazier said with Peterson and Gerhart’s injury, Viks will evalvuate RB options for draft

38. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Spence … Ive run jobs and you learn quick to appreciate the guy that shows up everyday on time. Its really frusterating when you have a job to do and to count on someone that calls in all the time.

39. By Spencer on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

But Shawn, Cedric Griffin is a Bona-fide scrub. No dis-respect but the man can not play. He has no speed, plays no defense, gets demolished every game, doesnt have the talent to play in the National Football League, and your trying to tell me hes a better Vikings than Cook? Please!

40. By TITUS on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Sir Greasy we were warm too– I am riding inside now, but was outside till Jan 10— when I did a 50 miler on my road bike. Now, we are only five to seven weeks from being out again. Short winter.

41. By radzinwisconsin on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

yeah find a running back after ol,db,wr then go ol,db again add lb,ol,k,p,ss

42. By TITUS on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Spencer, you are starting to convince me about Cedric.

43. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Spencer … everything you said was not true. Its not debatable. Griffin has gotten beat and Cook would get beat IF HE EVER PLAYED. Griffin could not get beat every time or he would have 0 pass break ups and 0 INTs .

It is hard to talk to people like you that dont even speak reality.

Generall public or people like you only remember the negative. Did you see the Vikings bears game week 17? Did you see the INT Griffin made?

According to you and your standards I would be better than Chris Cook and Cedric Griffin … I gave up NO catches and NO TDs. Cook gave up at least 1 to Calvin Johnson.

44. By Spencer on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Shawn….Is Cedric Whiffin’ a good Cornerback?

45. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

BTW … I keep forgetting to point out what a hypocrite you are Spence. You have used the Ced getting beat by Calvin Johnson in Detroit 1 numerous times then you turn around and defend Cook getting beat in the same game.

I cant even say Chris Cook sux BECAUSE HE NEVER PLAYS ….

46. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Spence he was good for 3 + years. He had a horrible season ( which Ive said several time) but still his season was better than Chris Crooks ( Cook didnt have a season and never has)

47. By Spencer on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

WE CAN ALL BREATHE A SIGH OF RELIEF…

48. By Spencer on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Seems as though people agree with me, Shawn.

49. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Spence … Im not a robot or a pushover. I dont care what the average person thinks. I dont just fall for peer pressure.

Ryan Leaf had a ton of potential …

50. By Spencer on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

People also agree with me on Cook too…

51. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Tony Mandarich … WOW he was awesome with all his POTENTIAL

52. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Tyrell Johnson … he was supposed to have “potential”

53. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Pacman Jones … another great potential CB

54. By Spencer on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Chris Cook has played like World-Class Talent, Shawn. Tyrell Johnson Never did..

55. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Troy Williamson … He was faster than Moss. He was Randy Moss’s replacement.

56. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Tim Couch … the next Montana

57. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

KiJana Carter … Has there been a RB come into the league with more potential? O yea Lawrence Phillips

58. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Erasmus James … Wisconsin sack master, Vikings 1st round pick ?

59. By Spencer on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Youre hopless Shawn..

60. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Chris Cook played? When?

61. By Spencer on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Cedric Griffin did good? When?

62. By Spencer on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

And Cedric Whiffin’ is a Criminal aswell…..

63. By Spencer on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Shawnese? You there hun?

64. By TITUS on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Looks like Spence won this round.

65. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

LOL I was eating … one sec

66. By Spencer on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

You were eating some humble pie.

67. By Irish Vike on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Gosh is there any1 on this team who hasn’t had any trouble with the law??

68. By Spencer on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Lol Irish

69. By Irish Vike on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Yes irish!!!

70. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Who started 16 games at corner for the 6th rated defense in 2009 which gave up less than 20 points per game? Ill give you a hint … Cedric Griffin

Who started 16 games at corner for the 6th rated defense in 2008 which gave up 20 ppg? I’ll give you a hint … Cedric Griffin

Who has started 70 games at corner for the MN Vikings and helped win 36 of those games? I’ll give you a hint … Cedric Griffen

Who has had 50 pass break ups 8 INTs and 14 forced fumbles? Ill give you a hint Cedric Griffin

OK what has Chris Cook done?

71. By Spencer on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

C’mon Shawn…Hurry up and swallow your load…I mean food.

72. By Spencer on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Congradulations. He Use to be ‘good’ you cant deny the fact that hes Garbage now.

73. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

How many playoff games has Chris Cook played in? Griffin has 3

74. By TITUS on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Being in a playoff game has little to do with an individual player and everything to do with the team, the organization, the coach, and a bit of serendipity. That is a poor argument, Shawnster.

75. By Spencer on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

We have you cornered now Shawn…Drop the gun!

76. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

You’ve got nothing Spence … you live in a world of dreams and “potential”.

77. By TITUS on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Spencer’s right. Easy now, Shawn, drop the weapon!

78. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Im sorry Titus? did you say team ? Are you saying Ced wasnt part of the team? WOW reality really isnt reality in some worlds

79. By Spencer on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Cedric Whiffin= No Talent
    Chris Cook= Talent
    Period.

80. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

LOL you guys are insane. We should build a team around Cook , Sydney Rice and Laron Landry …. then what? Your argument is ridiculous

Sydney Rice is a great WR ?

81. By Spencer on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Griffin did not take any part in getting us to the playoffs.

82. By Spencer on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Ill take Sidney over Jenkins..

83. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Pacman Jones = talent

Sydney Rice = talent

Ryan Leaf = talent

Tony madarich = talent

Kijana Carter = talent

Troy Williamson = talent

Lawrence phillips = talent

Jemarcus Russel = talent

84. By TITUS on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Spencer, hold your fire, I don’t think the suspect can help it– his weapon is attached to his face, just below the nose!

85. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Spence your about as bright as a cave at midnight

86. By Spencer on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

And the crowd is screaming “Kill Yourself!”

87. By Spencer on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Sidney Rice is a difference maker, Cook is a difference maker. Griffin makes no difference.

88. By Spencer on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

What is Griffens Defining Moment this year?

89. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

LOL what differance did cook make? You cant even make a list for Cook itd be 3 games worth of nothing … Cook sux.

Cook = dreams = potential = nothing concrete = nothing based in reality = NOTHING

90. By TITUS on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Griffin slammed the punt returner to the ground after he signaled fair catch. How many yards were we penalized?

91. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

His week 17 INT vs the Bears … howd Cook do in that game?

92. By TITUS on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

So, Shawn, we might as well not go to the draft this Spring- it is all conjecture based on potential.

93. By Spencer on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

It took that Scrub 17 weeks to do something ‘Okay’

94. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Bad argument Titus. We drafted Cook and paid him for 2 full seasons in which time he did …. what? 2 full seasons of check cashing and in return the Vikings got ?

Cook is going into his 3rd year … what has he done? NOTHING

The guys we will be drafting will be rookies so your argument is bad

95. By Spencer on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Shawn, Grade Griffins 2011/12 season.

96. By TITUS on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

No, Shawn, not a bad argument. One, Cook has missed many games, so he is still like a kid being drafted– very similar. Keep writing bad argument, bad argument, bad argument all you want– I am no robot or chicken Shawn.

97. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Spence I have answered all your questions you have yet to answer anything on Cook except “well if lightning strikes a leperchan who casts a spell on cook, cook will be the best”

vs

70 starts … 36 wins … 3 top 10 defenses … 50 pass break ups … 8 INTs … 14 FF

98. By TITUS on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not. Not a bad argument, no it is not.

99. By TITUS on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Just for the record, though, I cannot support Cook at this juncture– I hope he gets help if all the allegations against him are true. I have not followed the legal battle– but I can tell you I have a real problem when I hear of men throwing women around and beating them.

100. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Titus you again are wrong. Griffin missed 14 games in 2010 and 2 games in his rookie year. Please bring some facts to the debate. 70 starts in 6 seasons with 2 torn ACLs

101. By Spencer on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Shawn……Grade Griffins 2011/12 season.

102. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Spence

Griffin gets a D

Cook gets an F

103. By TITUS on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Why do I need to Shawn? You keep supporting my argument. Missed 14 games in 2010? Just like a kid in college who has limited time or no time in the NFL. Exactly my point. Are you sleeping? Too much food?

104. By Rogerthevikefan on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

@Shawn sorry to pile on but Griffin was good but his knees are shot now. While Cook has a chance to be better than Griffin if he get his head out of his @ $S.

105. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Heres my imitation of Spence

Uhh Cook potential

Uhh Cook umm potential

Uhh well Cook potential

Uhh umm well could be maybe mighta couldve shouldbe Cook potential

Good stuff Spence … Im bored

106. By Spencer on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

How on Earth did Griffin deserve a D? He. Did. Nothing. All. Year. Atleast Cook did his job when he was on the field.

107. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Cedric Griffin is a better Minnesota Viking than Chris Cook

70 starts vs 8

36 wins vs 3

50 pass break ups vs 6

8 INTs vs 0

14 FF vs 0

108. By Rogerthevikefan on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Vikes coaching staff should get a good look at CB Dwight Bentley who will be playing for the South at the Senior Bowl this Saturday. He has a Day 3 draft grade now but has been looking solid so far.

109. By Spencer on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Im done Shawn. Ill take potential over Absolutely No Talent any day.

110. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

@Roger .. its ok I have broad shoulders and a strong back I can take everyone on but i am getting bored and it seems Cook vs Griffin is the best blog debate going. So I had to stir the pot tonight

111. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

I think evryone agrees on Kalil or Claiborne. A couple people think Blackmon and that wouldnt be the worst pick ever … I think Chris Cook takes that trophy :)

112. By Spencer on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Drafting Blackmon would be a mistake. Hes like a Hakeem Nicks or a Dez…and those guys wouldnt be drafted #3..’

113. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

I agree with you on that Spence … Im a 1st choice Kalil 2nd choice Claiborne guy. I personally dont like the Blackmon pick Im a Marvin McNutt fan and we might be able to get him in round 3 …

114. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

I hate to pile on EVERYONE but

Ced Griffin …• Ranks 2nd in Vikings history for forced fumbles by a defensive back with 14, trailing only legendary hitter Joey Browner and tied with teammate Antoine Winfield

115. By TheRealDon™ on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Shawn…Ced Griffin never liked even before the the injuries..You once said he was always a solid corner on other side of Winfield..I think he should have always been a nickel corner..

116. By TITUS on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Shawn, don’t tell a fib– you LOVE to pile on.

117. By sandiamond on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

118. By sandiamond on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Great speech by Frazier!! check out Spielman chewing tobacco with a spit cup
    lolzzzzzzzzzz

119. By sandiamond on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

- cornerback and receiver Top Priority in the draft
    – offensive lineman only in higher rounds
    – linebackers also a focus
    via Frazier
    There now you have it Fred Jones……….. get to work on that trench push!

120. By GM on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

~eating popcorn~

121. By Carl K on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

Ced Griffen vs Chris Cook ?
    Career production goes to Griffen. Griffen is a warrior.
    Over the last 2 year even with 2 knee injuries Griffen has 75 total tackles to Chris Cooks 41 total tackles.

Over paid warrior vs talented thug? Good question.
    Right now, until we find someone (anyone) better – we need them both.

I think we need to draft a corner in rd 1, 2 or 3.
    Restructure Griffen’s contract and move him to FS to compete M Raymond.
    Sign Tyvon Branch at SS – Sanford is a solid backup.
    Hope that Cook can play… and find a way to produce up to his talent level.

Our secondary problems are fixable… but I think Griffen and Cook can both help our team.

122. By Frederick Jones on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

@Sandiamond,

I listened to Spielman, and he said absolutely nothing about D-Backs or O-Line.

I did hear some young person on “The Fan” say pretty clearly how we need someone to protect our franchise quarterback, and that we needed d-backs.

Frazier may have indicated a need at OL and DB. I was unwilling to listen to the entire thing to find out.

Rick “Hollywood” Spielman is the guy that has to make it happen.

So, I remain unconvinced after the last two years of SILLY drafting by Spielman.

But thank you for mentioning me!!!

123. By Frederick Jones on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

@Spence and Shawn,

I don’t really care, but you two guys are burning up the blog with your Cook-Griffen business.

Do that all you like, but be aware that it’s even worse than anything I’ve done, and MUCH MORE OVER DONE.

I don’t care WhUt YoU Do.

Just to let you know…you can’t get after me in the future!!!

124. By Parody on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

Fred – I must disagree with you. While Shawn and Spence’s rants about our corners is annoying, your rants about our lack of a GM or OLine are no better. They are chasing eachother in circles, while you’re chasing yourself in circles. It’s all just boring old rhetoric. The difference is that Shawn and Spence’s is caused by a lack of effort to try to understand where the other is coming from.

125. By Frederick Jones on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

@Parody,

I will have to politely disagree with that because Shawn and Spence have taken up 3/4 of at least one blog!!

126. By Frederick Jones on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

**** It’s good to read so much about the Vikings need for an OFFENSIVE LINE and DEFENSIVE BACKS.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE…REMEMBER TO PRESS (YES, P R E S S)
    SPIELMAN IN LATE APRIL ABOUT DRAFTING OLs and DBs high in the draft!!!

This is reminder #25

“Show me a good loser, and I’ll show you a loser period.”
    Harry Peter “Bud” Grant

127. By Frederick Jones on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

@Parody,

Besides, like I said…

“I do not really care WhUT yU Dooo!”
    Robert Montgomery Knight

I was pointing out Shawn and Spence’s posts because others do the same to me.

If anything the posts come faster, and nastier that way. So do WhUt U want!!!

Next year there may be some Police on this blog.

128. By Frederick Jones on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

HEY It’s good to read so much about the Vikings need for an OFFENSIVE LINE and DEFENSIVE BACKS.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE…REMEMBER TO PRESS (YES, P R E S S)
    SPIELMAN IN LATE APRIL ABOUT DRAFTING OLs and DBs high in the draft!!!

This is reminder #26

“Show me a good loser, and I’ll show you a loser period.”
    Harry Peter “Bud” Grant

129. By 61viking on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

We need a left tackle period. Cook or Griffin, both should be gone! Pick up a RB in the late rounds.

130. By Jim M on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

61Viking, Right on, I said that last year. Solder(OT) is playing for the Pat’s. He’s one we should have looked at. This year Kali and if not back try to trade back and get Riley Rieff. OL OL OL OL

131. By sandiamond on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

@Fred the info came from an interview wth Pelissero not on that video above. Straight forward about cornerbacks and wide recievers. Coach somewhat dodged around the idea of taking lineman very early in the draft so just an assumption that it would come in later rounds. Just disappointed to hear that news. Certainly Frazier has heard the rumblings from fans/media about OL need.
    G/L

132. By Spence on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

Fred, we debate. You SPAM!

133. By Frederick Jones on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

@Sandiamond,

Thanks, I’m glad I didn’t watch the WHOLE video.

Last year some people thought that Spielman and Frazier were being guarded with what they said about the draft. It makes sense that they might do that.

BUT THEN LOOK WHAT HAPPENED.

I’m leaving nothing to chance THIS TIME!

134. By Frederick Jones on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

@Spence,

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE…REMEMBER TO PRESS (YES, P R E S S)
    SPIELMAN IN LATE APRIL ABOUT DRAFTING OLs and DBs high in the draft!!!

This is reminder #27

“Show me a good loser, and I’ll show you a loser period.”
    Harry Peter “Bud” Grant

135. By Jim M on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

I’m disappointed with the Wilfs capitulation on the new stadium. From the video I’ve seen today, it looks like the Metro Dome site. What a disappointment.

2. Jan 25, 2012: Senior Bowl Practice #2 | Vikings Territory