Senior Bowl Update: Getting Settled In Mobile

Posted by Mike Wobschall on January 24, 2012 – 6:12 am

As I sat at my gate inside the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport early Monday morning, a blizzard was pounding the Twin Cities, a band of thunderstorms was battering Atlanta (where I was to pick-up a connecting flight) and parts of Alabama (my final destination) were under a tornado warning.

Now, about 24 hours after escaping another Minnesota blizzard and heading to the Deep South, all has calmed down. I’ve settled in at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Alabama, and I’m set for an exciting week with the North squad. Here are a few observations and thoughts from my first day at the Senior Bowl…

– After a delayed departure from Minnesota, I arrived a touch behind schedule in Atlanta and then patiently waited out another delay before boarding a puddle-jumper to Mobile. After arriving in Mobile, I hopped into a cab and made my way to the North team hotel – the Renaissance Mobile Riverview Plaza. Accommodations are great here, there is plenty of space for both the North and South teams, and I had no trouble getting a fast sleep after a long day of travel.

– Before I went to bed, though, I wandered up to the 2nd floor of the hotel, where the nation’s top senior football players mingled with representatives from nearly every NFL team. It was like an NFL convention, with coaches and scouts wearing their official team apparel while trying to track down players to conduct what is essentially a job interview. Coaches and scouts consider these private sit-downs with players as important as practice tape and game performance.

– The players loaded into buses at about 6:00 p.m. and headed to a mandatory media dinner, while at the same time a Senior Bowl Kickoff Reception was held at a neighboring hotel. Following those events, teams continued to meet with players at the hotel.

– While that was going on, I took a seat at the hotel bar and enjoyed dinner and drinks while watching some college basketball. New Vikings Defensive Coordinator Alan Williams swung by to grab a quick dinner on his way to meetings, so I introduced myself to him and also welcomed him to the team. Vikings TEs coach Jimmie Johnson also pulled up a chair next to me for a quick bite to eat before heading to meetings.

– Finally, after a long day of travel and the hectic environment inside the hotel, the day was over and it was time for rest. I retired to my hotel room, flipped back and forth between the Republican debate in Florida and a rerun of the 2008 U.S. Open at Torrey Pines (Tiger Woods won in a playoff over Rocco Mediate), and eventually fell asleep while the endless cycle of SportsCenter played on the television.

Practice #2 for the North squad – being coached by the Vikings coaching staff – is set for 9:30-11:00 a.m. this morning. I’ll be sure to watch, take careful notes and report back to you later this afternoon.

Following practice, the North squad will have lunch back at the hotel and then will break out into defense, offense and special teams meetings. The rest of the day will be composed of events setup by the Senior Bowl staff.

That’s it for now, but stay tuned to vikings.com and the vikings.com Blog for more updates throughout the week. You can also receive updates from me during Senior Bowl week by following me on Twitter (@wobby).

Tags: ,

76 Responses to “Senior Bowl Update: Getting Settled In Mobile”

1. By PurpleNation on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

FIRST! :D

2. By PurpleNation on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

I hope and pray the Vikes don’t mess up this one!

3. By PurpleNation on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

They better not let only certain positions catch up to em in the evaluating process or they may miss up on some HUGE talent(s) as a good coach can see what he wants to see, but a GREAT coach can see it ALL! (Talent/Contribution)

4. By Carl K on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Did someone forget to give you the memo that players were actually practicing yesterday?

Great coverage of the Renaissance Plaza… can’t wait to hear what you have for lunch today.

Did Jimmy Johnson NOT share any thoughts AT ALL about practice #1 ???? Was he not buzzing about any players??

Mike, are the Vikings limiting you to what info you can pass on to us?

5. By DeerTracks on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Wouldn’t be the first time, Carl…

Mike W. Hearing about who is coaching the North Team is OK, (I guess) but who is coaching the other Team? Do they have names?

6. By DRS on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

What a sad day this is,

By animal26 on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

I’m sorry to be the barer of bad news guys, but the writing is now on the wall. It will be incredibly shocking if the Ziggy Wilff takes the deal Minnesota is giving the Vikings.The Vikings will most likely leave Minnesota. This is a very sad day………………..

:*( http://www.dailynorseman.com/2012/1/23/2729024/minnesota-vikings-stadium-metrodome-now-only-workable-site?ref=yahoo

7. By DRS on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Vikings tell the Governor to F himself and demand your site be the site to be built on or you are moving! Do not take this BS from them nit wits any more.

8. By DRS on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

How many years have you the Vikings been begging the State of Minnesota for a new stadium just to be passed over for the Twinkies and the gophers?

How long are you going to take this BS?

I told you they would go for the dome rehab, cheep F-ers.

9. By DRS on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

What BS, Everyone have a great day if you can.

10. By DRS on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Told you so, Minnesota leaders are fools and short sighted! Now is the time for New Mexico to push for the Vikings to come here. I would rather have the team here in New Mexico then AL.

What a sad day it will be when the Vikings leave MN.

11. By DRS on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

I sure hope the state will wake up and overcome their leaders but history in against the Vikings, just ask the lakers.

12. By DRS on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Here is to hope for 2012, later.

13. By DRS on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Sorry that should have been LA not AL.

14. By DeerTracks on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

DRS, To heel with wilff and the horse he rode in on…

Would not like the Vikings to go anywhere, but if that is the case, I am done with them…Been a Fan ever since they first started playing..I have tapes of most of the games, except when I was in Vetnam for three years…

Already have another team lined up to root for…Ever hear of the SF 49ers?

Green Bay? Double Heel-NO! They can just suck eggs…

15. By gunner on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Move to London England then I can watch all of the time. However I can not believe the Government of Minn are risking it. The Wilfs are not from Minn they are from NJ so they have no ties to the place. I am afraid that the team is off to LA. To be honest who can blame them. Maybe it was there strategy all the time?

16. By Mike B. on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

If the state legislature comes up that the Metrodome site is the only option and have the financing in place. I can’t see how the Wilf’s have any other options that accepting the deal. The NFL has moving approval, and the state is givng a viable choice, so they may have to take it. If the Wilf’s overall don’t like they can always sell the team to a group that will accept the option. The NFL isn’t going to give up this market if there is a viable option. Remember to move they have to have a majority of the owners approve.

17. By TITUS on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

gunner – Wilfs have properties all over the country, especially in the SE United States, so relax. They have a nationwide empire and they know MN has a strong NFL market and tradition– they are much better off keeping the endurance to get a deal in MN rather than LA which has never proven a viable market. By your logic, why should LA take the Vikings, after all, Wilfs are not from there. Your logic does not hold, so relax.

18. By GM on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

I’ll say it again. Gillette Stadium, built in 2002, cost $325 million ($397 million in 2012 dollars) to build. Tax payers did not have to worry about it because Robert Kraft covered the costs.

19. By GM on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

I think we need to really push for an outdoor stadium for three reason’s.

1. Cost
    2. Home field advantage
    3. Nostalgia of fan experience

The state and county need to clean up the Arden Hills superfund site and make road improvements and the Wilfs need to think like Robert Kraft.

20. By Mike B. on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

@GM It’s never going to happen that way. Wilf’s want the state to have a stake in the stadium and foot the bill. They should revisit the original plan which was going to be at the Dome site .

21. By GM on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

22. By gunner on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Titus

The only reason why LA , they are actively looking to entice a team. Surely because we have no contract with anyone we must be this season star free agent and at the end of the day money talks. Reading all the reports I guess it is down to the NFL but why play for a state where it seems very clear that the state (not residents) only wants them on their terms. Surely if you or I owned the Vikings and a jumped up government official starts to dictate to you or me about how we should run the team the natural response would be go take a flying f**k How long has the ownership both now and before been trying to sort out a new stadium? However take a different look on it if we where to move to LA don’t you think it would be a far more enticing place to attract better free agents?

23. By GM on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

If you take government money, EXPECT the government to dictate how you should do things.

24. By Mike B. on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Not only do you have goverment dictate, but the NFL also dictates. Gone are the days a team can pack up and move in the night. NFL wants to keep the MN market and that will dictate what the Wilf’s can do. From what I have heard a group from LA is looking to buy a team. Is there any owner willing to sell to an LA Group and will the NFL approve it.

25. By GM on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

“Through Super Bowl XLIV, outdoor teams have won 41 of the 44 Super Bowls held so far.”

26. By Mike B. on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

@GM that’s an empty stat has no meaning. There are as many domed stadiums in the south as there are in the north.

27. By GM on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

?

28. By GM on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

93% = no meaning?

29. By Rudso on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

I’m actually torn on this issue. Obviously more people win if the Vikings stay in Minnesota and maintain the rich NFC North history but I LIVE in Los Angeles, California. I went to the season opener when the Vikings played in San Diego and I had a blast rooting for the Vikings!

A part of me is happy with this whole situation, talk about a dream come true for my favorite team to come to MY city. First season my sister and I will be season ticket holders.

30. By Mike B. on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

It has no meaning it doesn’t corrolate to how the team plays dependent on venue. Just says 93% of non domed teams have won the superbowl. That’s all it means you can’t attribute anything more to it. If you are trying to say that open air stadium makes the team better you need more facts than superbowl wins.

31. By Mike B. on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Look at the venues that the superbowl is played in most are domed or in the south. Meadowlands Superbowl will be the first in possible adverse weather in a long time.

32. By Mike B. on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

There are only 7 Domed teams out of 32. So the possibility that a Domed team makes it to the Superbowl isn’t good. Denver, Buffalo , and Minne were non domed teams and all have lost mulitple superbowls. The stat you put out has no meaning on performance.

33. By GM on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

It has to do with first getting to the Superbowl. Playoffs are in the winter.

I am touting benefits of an outdoor stadium. The Superbowl stat extends on the 3 I posted earlier. A state of the art, retractable roof, tax payer funded stadium really provides no benefit if nobody wants to pay for the thing.

34. By gunner on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Agree with you there Mike.

I think a team that plays outside are used to all conditions – take the saints they haven’t won outside in a playoff on the road!

35. By TITUS on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

If the Vikings moved to another market, say LA, I would not continue as a Vikings fan.

36. By TITUS on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

And who wants to sit in a dome? Might as well stay in your living room. Be outside and enjoy the fresh air.

37. By GM on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

I would not continue as a Vikings fan nor an NFL fan.

38. By Gunner on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Titus who would be to blame – the state or the owners?

39. By TheRealDon™ on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Im a vikings fan till the end no matter where they move..Even tho I stay in Cali I would be hurt if they move..

40. By TITUS on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

I don’t look for blame. Waste of my resources. Leave that to the entitlement crowd.

41. By Mike B. on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

I think fhat if the Legislature has a plan in place and the financing. The Wilfs will take it like it or not. Bagley even said they want a stadium that has financing in place reguardless of the location. The legislature is looking at the cheapest possible way of dealing with the Metrodome and putting the new stadium in it’s place is. They may even cover the cost to for the move to TFC.

42. By TITUS on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Nothing like the ambiance of being in the snowflakes at a game.

43. By Morris Claiborne on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

44. By TheRealDon™ on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

I know you guys know I want Morris Claiborne but that was not me..Just saying

45. By TITUS on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Hey, maybe we should bring in Peyton Manning. Looks like he will not return to Indy– watched a brief piece on him at ESPN.

46. By Derrick.G on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

If the Vikings move…..my new team will be the Rams or Texans. Simple.

47. By sandiamond on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

must be shawnese!

48. By TITUS on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

I think I would become a Patriot fan.

49. By Shawn on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

OK everyone contack Mark Dayton Gov of MN … I did.

let him know your from out of state. Let him know you spend money in MN let him know he’s failing everyone in his handling of the Vikings … LET HIM KNOW !!!!!!!

I did.

50. By Spence on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Another blog? Somebody pinch me.

51. By GM on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Email sent.
    Thanks Shawn.

52. By Spencer on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

If the stadium bill doesnt get passed and the Vikings move to LA….Where will they play?

53. By GM on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

I think the Rose Bowl.

54. By GM on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Anybody got Zygi’s email?

55. By GM on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Wobby?

56. By Spencer on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

The Colosseum?

57. By GM on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Where Super Bowl XI was played.

58. By GM on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Vikings are already familiar with it…

59. By Spencer on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Would you still be a fan if they became the LA Vikings and kept the jersey and everything intact?

60. By GM on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Nope! Not a stars fan or a lakers fan either.

61. By Spencer on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Kluwes always talkin S— lol.

62. By GM on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

LOL I wonder what Gary Anderson’s doing now days.

63. By Spencer on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

GM…Why is your name purple?

64. By DRS on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

If the Vikings do stay at the dome site, they should just as well revamp the thing; it will be 30 more years of no tailgating and no SB’s. Once more, the Vikings will be the joke of the NFL sitting in their cheap house, sitting at the bottom looking for handouts from the rest of the NFL. How sad. The old Met=4 SB’s, The dome=0 SB’s.

65. By DRS on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

If the vikings move I think i would become a AZ fan, then I could go their home games, onl 500 mile or so.

66. By DRS on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

My feelings on the Dome site is it was and is the biggest waste of time the state of Minnesota ever did as a public project. No Tailgating, No open-air stadium, No parking, and No fun! Minnesota the state of NO!

Have a great day. If you can.

67. By sandiamond on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

click on the purple name spence

68. By DRS on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

E-Mail sent to Governor Dayton.

69. By DRS on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

later.

70. By Spencer on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Its somethin about cabinets.

71. By sandiamond on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

i’ve seen real estate agents in here before, always looking for advertising to new clients. Not sure how to populate an alias with purple tho. That’s your assignment spence, fiqure it out!!

72. By GM on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Yeah.

Apparently since I have a wordpress account and this site is run by wordpress, my name links to my new site. I don’t know how to turn it off.

73. By GM on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Try this.

74. By sandiamond on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Thanks GM for that info

75. By Frederick Jones on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

I spent a lot of time researching claims about the St. L. Rams which proved to be bogus.

Unfortunately we are thinking a little bit too much like Spielman. That kind of thinking makes the Vikings 6-10, 3-13, repeat for 20 years.

Football is played in the trenches, and that truth will never change!

Rick “Hollywood” Spielman has said absolutely nothing (to my knowledge) to indicate he will take care of our OL and DB weaknesses.

Apparently Frazier thinks drafting a WR is more of a priority than taking an OL or DB. This thinking, coming from the HC, is VERY DANGEROUS.

But if Spielman and Frazier make those kind of mistakes, we won’t have to deal with them much longer.

NFL stands for NOT FOR LONG when you make those kind of mistakes!!!

2. Jan 24, 2012: Senior Bowl Update: Getting Settled In Mobile | VikesCity