Observations From The Divisional Round

Posted by Mike Wobschall on January 16, 2012 – 11:03 am

A few observations from this past weekend’s Divisional Playoff games…

Packers lose
Not much is more gratifying than when the Vikings win, but having the Packers lose comes about as close as anything. The defending Super Bowl champs went 15-1 in the regular season, but they were 0-1 in the postseason. Credit goes to the NY Giants for upending the Packers at Lambeau Field, and the equation for doing so was pressuring Rodgers to knock the Green Bay offense off-balance combined with near-flawless play from Eli Manning in the biggest moment of the season. The Giants move on to the NFC Championship Game, which will be played in San Francisco against a 49ers team that was 6-10 last year. A lot can change in a year.

The last word on this goes to the family of Packers Offensive Coordinator Joe Philbin. The Philbin family is enduring the tragedy of the death of Michael Philbin, the 21-year old son of Joe Philbin. That loss is more brutal than any loss one can experience in a sports arena, and everyone’s heart surely goes out to the Philbin family. This is a terrible tragedy that gives you pause and perspective on the priorities in our lives. Football doesn’t mean nearly as much in light of the Philbins’ loss.

Outstanding secondary play by the NY Giants and San Francisco 49ers
Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers were the two best QBs in the regular season (they ranked #1 and #2 in passer rating), but the defenses they each faced this weekend were effective in slowing them down enough to earn a victory. Rodgers was held 46 yards below his regular season average for passing yards per game and he was held a full yard below is regular season average yards per attempt. Brees ultimately racked up 462 passing yards thanks to a late-game surge, but San Francisco held him a full yard below his regular season average for yards per attempt as well.

While the art of tackling has been lost from a general standpoint in the NFL, I think one reason New York and San Francisco were able to keep Rodgers and Brees in check was excellent tackling, particularly by members of the secondary. So often we see both Brees and Rodgers hit their receivers in stride, allowing for massive amounts of yards after the catch production. In fact, the Saints were #2 and the Packers were #3 in the NFL in yards after the catch this season. This past weekend, though, I noticed on many occasions that Packers and Saints receivers were not able to shake loose from defenders after the catch. The one exception I can think of immediately is Saints TE Jimmy Graham’s 66-yard TD late in the game, but outside of that the point remains that New York and San Francisco did a good job of tackling in their Division Round contests.

There was also great tackling by both defenses in the Baltimore vs. Houston game on Sunday.

Production from Tight Ends
It may now get lost in all the talk about the Giants upsetting the Packers, but we should not lose sight of the impact TEs had in the passing game this weekend. Offensive coordinators in the Divisional Playoff games utilized their athletic, pass-catching TEs about as well as possible. In the 4 Divisional Playoff games, TEs accounted for 29% of all receiving yards and 40% of all receiving TDs. The top performers were New England’s Rob Gronkowski (10 receptions, 145 yards, 3 TDs), San Francisco’s Vernon Davis (7-180-2), New Orleans’ Jimmy Graham (5-103-2) and New England’s Aaron Hernandez (4-55-1); Hernandez was also the Patriots leading rusher with 61 yards on 5 carries.

This is good news for Kyle Rudolph, who is coming off a solid rookie season and is in line to see even more action next season with a full offseason of working with quarterback Christian Ponder and Offensive Coordinator Bill Musgrave under his belt.

If available, let’s take a look
There were a lot of standout players in the Divisional Round games, but I like to find some of the “under the radar” types who perform well but don’t receive much attention from the public, and who may also become available in the offseason. Again, there was not a shortage of players who stood out in last weekend’s games, but here is a short list of guys that might look good in purple some day: Baltimore G Ben Grubbs, NY Giants WR Mario Manningham, New Orleans G Carl Nicks, San Francisco CB Carlos Rogers, NY Giants CB Aaron Ross and Baltimore CB Lardarius Webb (RFA).

Eli Manning coming of age
Eli Manning has been a Top 10-12 type of QB for much of his career, but there’s no question that he’s taken huge steps forward this season, and the biggest step yet was Sunday night when he throttled the Green Bay defense for 37 points while completing 21 of 33 passes for 330 yards and 3 TDs along the way. Manning is a great example of what happens when a team uses a high pick on a QB, gives him time to develop, remains loyal to him through tough times, finds weapons to put around him and waits for the development to take shape. That’s what happened with Manning in New York, and I think that’s the model the Vikings are trying to follow with Ponder.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not yet comparing Ponder to Manning. But to say that Ponder has no chance to be an Eli Manning-type of QB after watching him play just 11 games is as premature a statement as saying Ponder will surely be an All-Pro passer some day. Manning played in 9 games his rookie season and he had more INTs (9) than TDs (6). In his 2nd season, Manning played and started all 16 games, but he completed just 52% of his passes and had a passer rating of 75.9. In fact, Manning didn’t have a passer rating of over 77.0 until his 5th season. But wisely, the Giants did not give up on him, despite pressure from the fan base to do so. Manning responded by helping lead the club to a Super Bowl over the New England Patriots after the 2007 season and now he has the Giants in another NFC title game.

I see a lot of similarities in Manning and Ponder, particularly in their mental approach to the game but also in other areas, such as arm strength, demeanor, stature in the pocket and leadership.

Ultimately, the point is we just don’t know yet on Ponder because there’s not a large enough body of work to judge. But I believe seeing Manning play the way he’s playing right now gives Vikings fans plenty of reasons to be optimistic about Ponder.

269 Responses to “Observations From The Divisional Round”

1. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

My Main Observations from each game…Seeing the Quarterbacks go through all their reads and completing p a s s e s down-field. I dont think we have ever heard an announcer say “Wow, Ponder has All Day to throw in the pocket.”

2. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Let’s be an organization of class and not belittle the Packers’ season. They have plenty to lament without anyone rubbing it in their face. Take the high road– it will set us apart. Not classy.

3. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Titus, this is not girl scouts.

4. By Roninmn.. on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Where’s Calipacker fan? Where or where can he be?

5. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Really Spence? I thought we came here to buy cookies.

6. By DeerTracks on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Ponder this, Ponder that…..Not one word about Joe Webb…

Webb is just as good as Ponde any day of the week! If Hotshot Frazier is not going to train Joe as a QB, then trade him to a team that wiil train this very good future QB!

Then he can return to beat the stuffings out of the Vikings…

GreenBay —Gaints game..Very refreshing to see that the Game “Officals” couldn’t give the game to GreenBay this time around…

7. By DeerTracks on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

‘Ponder’

8. By Rocksalt on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Well, Titus.you were the first to chime in about where were the Packers fans last nite…..now you proclaim for everyone to not talk trash…….

9. By Bigfan1 on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Right on Mike W. Also, I wanted to say fantastic job on the Wobcast, great stuff, keep it coming.

10. By Viking33 on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

I know I enjoyed this morning’s all you can eat Packer Pancakes!! I have now forgiven the Giants for doing what they did to us years ago, by doing it to the Packers!

11. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

You are right, Rocky, I was. That is the point. There comes a time when enough is enough. Now I feel sorry for the Packer fans. That has to hurt.

12. By Viking33 on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

@ Deertracks – I hear you loud and clear on the Refs trying to give the game to the Packers – The three most glaring calls – #1 the Fumble….WOW REALLY?? #2 – The spot in the 4th quarter DJ Ware got on his 3rd down run that came up at least a yard short of where he was – #3 – The phantom Roughing the passer call in the 4th quarter. There were other penalties that were questionable as well, but the Gaints overcame them with the turnovers. That ref Bill Levy – should be canned!!!!!

13. By Bigfan1 on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

The Packer’s loss while much more egregious than ours in 1998 when we were 15-1 and loss to Atlanta by 3 at the Metrodome shows you that it doesn’t matter how you play during the season as along as you make the playoffs and play your best football at the end of the season. Time will tell with Ponder the Vikings will either have mud on the face or be thankful for the pick, we’ll see…..but it surely takes more than the QB, to be hopping in the playoffs you have to have every player clicking on all eight cylinders.

14. By DRS on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Defense wins games, Offense gets all the glory, and special teams are there not to lose games, it takes a team to win and the Vikings need a team for next year, so let’s dump the trash and prepare for the new season, let’s get it done through the draft, free agency, and from within the organization.

And the pack fans deserve all they get for coming on this site and talking smack.

15. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Bigfan, at least in 98 we destroyed our first playoff opponent- the Cardinals, and then kept it very close in the Championship game, going to OT. Poor Pack – what a sad ending to their season– goes to show you cannot take anything for granted. I think they were overconfident.

16. By Swedish Viking on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

The Patriots look unstopable, the Ravens do not have a chance. As far as the packers are concerned they got what they deserved. They were to arrogant, great win for the GIANTS !!!

17. By sandiamond on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Packers D gave up 4,800 yards this year a nfl record! lol

18. By DRS on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Vikings please beef up your O-Line and Defense, and do it now, for we can be champions next year with the right players in place.

Maybe the NFL should check the ref’s bank accounts after all the Green Bay’s Slackers games.

#1 Need in my opinion is a new stadium in someplace other then Minneapolis or ST. Paul, and it is needed now.

19. By Viking33 on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

A little early I think for the Ponder / Manning comparisons. With the emergence of Cruz – teams seemed to forget that Nicks is a complete beast!! I still think Manny is our Cruz – a guy that just cannot get the coaching staff to believe in him. I saw him flashing all over the place on Special Teams – he is a gamer – and yes I do believe in aliens and guys being Gamers!

20. By DRS on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Here is to hope that now that we have a GM we will draft for what we need as a team and not for what the best player available. Fill the needs now so we can win. Do not fill the maybes, fill the needs, all good teams fill their needs, not their hopes. Fix what is broken, not what you want.

21. By Viking33 on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

DRS – ya a stadium would be nice!

22. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

On first glance, it looks like the Patriots will win, but I am not so certain. One thing, though, the Patriots are schooled to not overlook an opponent– they will not be caught off-guard. I think this game may be too close for a Titus prediction.

23. By DRS on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

I am saddened for the Packer player who has lost his child. I lost my first child and do know what they are going through. I will pray for them that they will find peace someday. As for the Packers Fans they get what the sew on this site

24. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Yes, DRS, I think that loss had more of an effect on the team than anyone really knows– it can somber the mood. By the way, the young man was the son of the Offensive Coordinator.

25. By DRS on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Minnesota, get a New Stadium before it is too late. Before the Vikings are known by some other name in some other state. Stop playing games in the legislature.

26. By DRS on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

TITANIUM TITUS, sorry, got that wrong, thought it was a player, must have read the story wrong. Thank you for correcting me on that.

27. By Viking33 on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Patriots vs Giants is my call. Ravens just don’t seem to have IT goin’, if you know what I mean and Tom Brady is not TJ Yates. The Patriot defense was horrid in the regular season, but seemed to “show up” to beat the chosen one, Tebow, when it mattered. I mean if you can beat Tebow….who can possibly stop you now? I like the idea of the Harbaugh bowl – but I think they will both be bridesmaids! The Giants were my pick from the start – I think they are the most well rounded team in the game.

28. By DRS on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

I will still pray for them, and sympathize with them.

29. By DRS on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

I think it will be the 49ers this year, but who know, anything can happen.

Have to go so everyone have a great day.

30. By Rudso on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

I’m so happy that other people are starting to really see that there is something going on with the refs and the Packers. It’s just to obvious to ignore now, specially with the way this crucial playoff game was called.

Can you imagine if it was a closer game at the end and the Packers won?!? When the HEAD OF THE OFFICIATING CREW watches the same replay and says he would have ruled it a fumble, you know something is up. Unacceptable at all!

31. By Jake on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

I agree with DRS. anyone who watched the playoffs saw that defense can win games. We need to put all our effort in getting our defense backfield shored up. and one BIG wide reciever and maybe a replacement for our tackles. thats a big wishlist, but I think we start at defense and and work our way to o line. I would much rather lose 10-3 than 43-20. Lots of good free agents looking for a team to impact. Good for us.

32. By Rudso on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

DRS, I think 49ers have a chance to make it to the SB but Alex will have to replicate for the last 2 games what he did yesterday and I don’t believe he can.

Either way this Super Bowl is going to be a good one, lots of stories can be made and best of all a Super Bowl Repeat wont be one of the stories.

Patriots vs. Giants………………………… SB REMATCH!!!

Patriots vs. 49ers…………………………. Tom’s revenge game for 49ers not picking him as the first QB that year, not to mention his favorite team as a child.

Ravens vs. 49ers…………………………. Top 2 Defensive teams, coached by BROTHERS. Both of their lives will change if this happens.

Ravens vs. Giants………………………… Not a big story hear but Lewis might get his 2nd well deserved ring, or Eli gets his 2nd and finally gets some respect. Not to mention little bro will stick to big bro.

And I’ll mention it again, best part………………..Packers are One and Done! :)

Just something I want to share with my fellow Viking fans. I saw the game yesterday with some friends (all cheering for the Packers). But only 1 real big Packer fan, was sitting in his #12 jersey on the floor, couldn’t believe his eyes, I couldn’t have a bigger smile on my face all season :D

33. By Viking33 on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Draft a better OLine and your Defense gets better by default. Fewer 3 and outs will make your Defense better. It is a “Team” game, every facet of the game compliments the other. I agree we need Defensive players, but we cannot ignore that creating a better running game helps the team out much more overall. Not to mention sustained offense that doesn’t have the QB running for his life if the first read in his progression is not open.

34. By Parody on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Who is in charge of selecting and reviewing NFL Referees? Is that a job of the commissioner, Roger Goodell? If so, it gives me one more reason to be offended by the way he conducts his business. There have been far too many biased rulings in recent years. If some of these refs aren’t fired for their failure to recognize what EVERYONE else sees as obvious, then the person who is responsible for firing them needs to be replaced.

35. By DRS on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

If you cannot stop a team from scoring, you cannot win, that is the truth and nothing but the truth.

Everyone have a great day.

36. By Viking33 on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

I have a few Packer freinds and during the Packer games I send them messages everytime the Packers get a more than favorable call, 2 -4 every game. Most of the time it is the Pass Interference or Roughing the Passer fouls that continually bail them out and keep a drive alive. They know it and laugh at me about it all the time. I love that yesterday, they just couldn’t help them enough, and the last laugh – MINE!!

37. By Viking33 on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

If you don’t give them the ball every 3 plays you can keep them from scoring more often.

38. By DRS on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

It is time to revamp this team back to when they were known as the purple people eaters of the 60’s and 70’s.

Just when I think I am out they drag me back in, LOL, have a great day.

39. By DRS on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Viking33, that may be true but the fact is my statement is true, without a great defense no matter how good your Offense is you lose, just ask the Packers.

Have a great day.

40. By Parody on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Without an offense, it doesn’t matter how good your defense is, they’ll never be able to outscore the other team’s defense….

41. By DeerTracks on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

49er’s—Gaint game…Sunday…Both good teams at this time…

The Crystal Ball (Which I borrowed from Titus) shows a bright picture of the Niners wining in overtime…..

What is the score? Sorry, I’m not authorized to reveal that information, at this time…..Five mintues after the end of the game, maybe…

42. By Parody on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

We need to start the rebuilding with the offensive line. Good offensive linement generally last longer than good defenders.

Start at the foundation, and build from there.

43. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Preach Parody. Thats what Singletary did in San Fran. It sure did pay off.

44. By OTKalil2012 on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

What a wonderful weekend…Brees and Rodgers are going to be watching the rest of the playoffs from their couch at home….OT Kalil would be the best thing for the Vikings if available at 3…But I think that Kalil is so good…That the Rams take him to protect Bradford…Kalil is the best non QB position player in the draft….I think the Rams would be foolish to pass Kalil up…Even for multiple picks to trade out of the 2nd pick so a team can draft Griffin III…Lets just say if the Vikings get him with the 3rd pick…I will be doing cartwheels across my living room floor on draft day….And the only other time I did that on draft day before…A guy named Adrian Peterson was drafted in the first round by the Vikings…

45. By OTKalil2012 on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

I am going to predict the 49 er’s and Patriots going at it in the super bowl….Ravens D doesn’t seem to be hitting on all cylinders of late….Just feel the Pat’s will out score them….The Giants and the 49 er game is the tough call…Giving the niners the edge having home field advantage…To go along with that awesome defense they will need crowd noise from niner fans and lots of it all game long…

46. By TheRealDon on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

How about some observations on where the hèll the coaches are going with this team..

47. By sandiamond on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

SLOT LEADING PICK %
    Chg 2nd Projection
    COLTS QB Andrew Luck 100%
    RAMS OL Matt Kalil 57% WR J Blackmon (42%)
    VIKINGS OL Matt Kalil 41% WR J Blackmon (31%)
    BROWNS QB Robert Griffin 60% RB T Richardson (17%)
    BUCS CB Morris Claiborne 54% RB T Richardson (17%)
    REDSKINS
    QB Robert Griffin
    26% RB T Richardson (16%)
    JAGUARS DE Quinton Coples 25% WR M Floyd (13%)
    PANTHERS CB Dre Kirkpatrick 25% DT D Still (13%)
    DOLPHINS OT Reilly Reiff 32%
    percentage fiqures of 68 mock draft experts as of Jan 14th

48. By Saddy on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Did I just see Bill Leavy referee who turned the fumble do a lambeau leap after Kuhhhn’s touchodwn, Bill Leavy should be fired …. Pathetic – he did everything he can to get the packers win and it got noticed

Eli Manning was hit late by Clay matthews atleast 4 times in front of Bill Leavy and not one flag, but a clean hit on Rogers gave GB a 15 yrd penalty, bull…

49. By TheRealDon on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Musgrave must be next to go or just like Frazier he will not be here next year anyway

50. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Sandi … nice chart.

51. By TheRealDon on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Enough with the friends first theory..Frazier if you promote your friend to DC mark my words you will be gone next season..

52. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Parody … did you see my response on the MMM blog about the Miami DC ? The guy we are interviewing was the DB coach not the DC.

53. By TheRealDon on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

@Shawn..why would he come here when he’s getting calls to be a HC

54. By TheRealDon on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

55. By Frederick Jones on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

It’s good to read so much about the Vikings need for an OFFENSIVE LINE and DEFENSIVE BACKS.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE…REMEMBER TO PRESS (YES, P R E S S)
    SPIELMAN IN LATE APRIL ABOUT DRAFTING OLs and DBs high in the draft!!!

This is reminder #12

“Show me a good loser, and I’ll show you a loser period.”
    Harry Peter “Bud” Grant

56. By Frederick Jones on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

@Saddy,

IF he did a Lambeau Leap he should be gone!!!

57. By Parody on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Shawn – Yes. Just one more case of worse than poor editing by professionals in the writing field.

58. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

TRD … He wasnt the DC, that article is wrong. He was the DB coach and Interim HC. Mike Nolan was the Dolphins DC. Mike Nolan called the plays … Mike Nolan is a very successfull DC. Bowles was just a DB coach for the 25th pass D

59. By Parody on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

TheRealDon – Just because he is being interviewed for a head coach job does not mean he will receive any offers. Maybe the teams looking for a head coach hire someone else, and the Vikings’ offer to run the defense happens to be the best offer he receives.

60. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

It sux donut … hows that for editing :)

61. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

I would suggest some teams are just interviewing him to cover the Rooney rule.

62. By TheRealDon on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Shawn..Thanks for heads up..

Parody..True

63. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Again one thing we can take some solace in is whoever our DC is doesnt mean Frazier cant call the plays. We know Frazier calls a good game. Even if it is the frusterating Cover2

64. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

I would say its a testament to Fraziers coaching that he is able to have a top 10 defense using the cover 2 …. not many can say that in todays NFL

65. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Also NFL Network is saying Greg Williams the Saints DC is heading to the Rams and Jack DelRio is the leading candidate to replace Williams in NO

66. By Parody on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

If Frazier’s plan is to stick with the Cover 2 defense, thet is further proof that drafting defense in the first round would be a mistake. First round defenders are guys who are capable of making big impact plays throughout the year. That would be a wasted pick for the cover 2. The cover 2 depends on guys playing smart, and avoiding mistakes, and it takes away opportunities for impact plays. That’s why guys like Sharper never played to their full potential under Frazier’s scheme.

The impact players in Cover 2 are primarily the defensive linemen. That’s why we have guys like Allen and Kevin Williams as the biggest stars of our defense.

67. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Regarding the Draft: Will we know if Cook goes to prison before or after the draft?

68. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Cover 2 can be very frusterating , even if it has talent good QBs can exploit it. If the Cover 2 is lacking talent every QB can exploit it

69. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Whose faster…….Claiborne or Dre Kirkpatrick?

70. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

I think they said March for Cook but you never know with the justice system they could drag it out for 2 years

71. By Rocksalt on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

It is amusing and annoying that All the national nfl pundits are complaining bout the calls at Lambeau……s.h.it, man we have seen this for years……an what about the lousy calls and non-calls in 2009 NFC champ game???

Too bad bout Del Rio.he would be good for us.

Shawn- I do not agree with you that Frazier calls a good game……

72. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Well Rock 3 years as Vikings DC and was top 10 all three years with 2 x #6 rankings … I dont know how much better a cover 2 can be without Derrick Brooks at MLB

73. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Rocksalt- Did you really have sex with a black woman?

74. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Other than Sherals, who is the fastest person on the defense? Cook?

75. By Rocksalt on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Shawn-
    We were better D when we had Tomlin.we actually fell steadily with Frazier as DC.check the records on that

76. By Rocksalt on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Spence-
    Did you actually have sex with your sister?

77. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

But Rocksalt I recall you saying something on the lines of sleeping with a black woman and that she finished before you did.

78. By Rocksalt on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Shawn-
    statistically, speaking

79. By Rocksalt on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

WTH you talkin bout Spence? If that was blogged, then it was some dufus impersonating me…….

80. By Rocksalt on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Spence-go take your frikkin meds

81. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Okay.

82. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Pagac 2011 DC … 21st ypg … 31st ppg … 26th pass D … 11th run D

Frazier 2010 DC .. 8th YPG … 18th ppg … 10th pass D … 9th run D
    Frazier 2009 DC .. 6th YPG … 10th ppg … 19th pass D … 2nd run D
    Frazier 2008 DC .. 6th YPG … 13th ppg … 18th pass D … 1st run D
    Frazier 2007 DC … 20th YPG … 12th ppg … 32nd pass D … 1st run D

Tomlin 2006 DC … 8th YPG … 14th ppg … 31st pass D … 1st run D

83. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Thats actually interesting … Frazier had a 20 ranking in year one but came back with 6 ,6 , and 8

Pagac had 21 … and we got him fired …. could frusteration just be so high in Minnesota we have no patience after 30+ years without a Super Bowl?

84. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

So Rock … maybe your frusterations of being a lifelong Viking fan are so high like mine that we are jumping the gun too much

85. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Wow, the blog is better than a sitcom today.

86. By Frederick Jones on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

@Spence,

Marcus Sherels is more quick than fast. But he is fast, man!

Watch to see if he improves a lot like he did from 2010 to 2011.

Face it, we need CBs and Safeties bad!!!

87. By Frederick Jones on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Hey it’s good to read so much about the Vikings need for an OFFENSIVE LINE and DEFENSIVE BACKS.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE…REMEMBER TO PRESS (YES, P R E S S)
    SPIELMAN IN LATE APRIL ABOUT DRAFTING OLs and DBs high in the draft!!!

This is reminder #13

“Show me a good loser, and I’ll show you a loser period.”
    Harry Peter “Bud” Grant

88. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Why does Remi accept his gamecheck? Why did we fire Chilly? Why couldnt this team play 4 Quarters of football? Does the line have any self guilt?

89. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Offense wins games … Defense wins chapionships.

yea yea yea there are exceptions to every rule

90. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Why does Percy have stamina problems? Who is the unquestioned leader on defense? Where were the defensive playmakers at in the 4th quarter?

91. By Frederick Jones on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

@Shawn,

The quote is “Offense sells the tickets, Defense wins games.”

Although there is certainly nothing wrong with making your own quotes.

92. By OTKalil2012 on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

TheRealDon…Brings up the future power structure of the Vikings ??….What the heck…Lets throw out some theory on this subject…I think Zigs has finally taken the bull by the horns…And realizes he is the boss…The head honcho..The big cheese…I fully expect Spielman to be around for more than one more season…Spielman has made good decisions in the past…And Frazier might have had more room for error in the Vikings future if the head coach would have taken Spielmans advice a little bit more in the past…And not have pushed for McNabb last off season to be his starter…Not to mention Frazier keeping worthless Berrian on the 53 man roster…2 big mistakes on Frazier’s part…And this fan only can see one more season in Frazier’s future…(Unless) the Vikings have a 8-8 season coming up…Or better….Frazier needs to get better in a lot of areas…Clock management…Second half adjustments…Throwing challenge red flags…Usage of rookie and young player personal,etc….Frazier is an awesome person…But beginning to really question if he is the right talent evaluator and coach for the Vikings….There are many questions about Fraziers coaching decisions during this past season….And there were many more questions than answers happening all over with the Vikings coaching decisions this past season…Frazier will need to right the Vikings ship quickly to keep his job…

93. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

I missed the Ravens game– what is everyone’s take on their play? I saw a couple games this season– it seemed their offense struggles, but their D keeps them in games and they tend to pull off a score near the end.

94. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Why didnt Manny get much playing time? Why is Tyrell Johnson and Asher Allen still in the NFL? Why did we Cut Bryant Mckinie? Who was the creator of the Amazing Blazer Package?

95. By Frederick Jones on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Winning is a great deodorant for coaches.

96. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

GREG WILLIAMS IS LEAVING THE SAINTS TO BE THE D-COORDINATOR FOR THE RAMS!

97. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Why did Robison disappear for Weeks on end? How does Webb feel knowing they want him to fail, and Ponder to succeed? Who will we draft in the 1st Rd?

98. By Frederick Jones on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

@Spence,

I am doubting that there is a lack of good coaches out there for the Vikings. My concern is the inability of Spielman to obtain the talented players.

Players win games much more than coaches!!!

99. By Frederick Jones on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Give the ball to Joe!!

100. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

@Fred

Look at the 49ers, they won 12 games BECAUSE of the Coach. Its pretty much the same squad as last year.

101. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Easy to criticize a coach’s first year on the job. You can list areas he needs work on, but try this: list what he accomplished. Frazier was never a head coach in the NFL– and yet something like 8 of our losses were by one touchdown or less. Something must be on the right track…

Frazier inherited a whale of problems, a franchise coming off an incredibly dysfunctional year– maybe in the top five of the franchises’ history.

He had virtually no QB.

He came off a lockout year with very limited preparation.

ETC.

I am behind Frazier 100% for the next season.

102. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Spence– 49ers had the pieces in place. Plus there are so many variables behind the scenes– we do not know all that goes on between the 49ers and the Vikings that affect a coach’s decision making.

103. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

49ers may have had a poor record last year, but they never lost their stadium, nor do they have the possibility of losing their city– we have had a lot of cr-ap stirring over our franchise.

104. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Why do fans believe in Frazier? What has Frazier accomplished as a HC? Why didnt Frazier make adjustments in the 2nd Half? Why doesnt Frazier ever smile? Why doesnt Frazier get the most out of his players? Why is Frazier still the Coach?

105. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Fred for BLOGGER OF THE YEAR– 2011 for his fine accomplishments of taking on institutional football.

106. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Why do people dislike me for speaking the truth? Why am I criticized for saying Jared Allen isnt clutch because he only has 3 fourth quarter sacks? How am I stupid for thinking Chris Cook is a Good CB when he locked up Fitz, Bowe, and Megatron this year? Why do bloggers not realize the Secondary was awful Because there were 5 guys on I.R? Do these same people know they only gave up 21PPG when healthy, and 32PPG when hurt?

107. By Beeverchoan on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Titanium nutsack move to another site and DRS keep your religion off this page..

108. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Tebow is starter next season and Elway will tutor him. Good for him– he is a great kid.

109. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Why does Winfield refuse to make the switch to Safety even though hes a marginal Corner at best?

110. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Winfield is retiring, isn’t he?

111. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Beeverchoan … free speech should be free for all. Disagree debate and argue but keep free speech … its been attacked enough in America.

112. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Winfield has 2 years left on his contract … should just be an expensive NB for them

113. By OTKalil2012 on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

I really wonder how far Spielman will consider going with the “youth movement” for the Vikings ???…Or how much Frazier and Spielman want to go with the 3-4 defense ??…J Allen and K Willaims have already spoken out against the 3-4 defense…If the Vikings decide that the 3-4 defense is the direction the Vikings are going to go…Will Allen or Williams ask to be traded ??…Pat’s wanted Allen bad before last seasons trade deadline…Offered a first round draft pick for Allen…Would they up the anti this spring before the draft ??….I really wonder what direction the Vikings will go in their youth movement ??…Spielman is in charge…He has been preaching youth for years now…Childress and Frazier have been bringing in veteran players….And the head coaching always wanting more veterans…How young will Spielman want to go now when he is finally the one making the calls ???…

114. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

TyvonBran
    TyvonBranc
    TyvonBranch
    TyvonBranch!!!!!!
    TyvonBranch!!!!!! :)

115. By Erik the Red on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Just wanted to say that the Packers suck, and have been lucky all year. Their defense was trash, hahaha, and their whole team is overrated. That is all. And go Vikings.

116. By gubber on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

I can’t see the 49ers beating the Giants. That’s one mother of a physical football team. With a QB who’s at the top of his game, two beasts for running backs, a very physical o-line, a terrific and healthy receiving corp. The Giants front four is every quarterback’s worst nightmare come to life, and the secondary and linebackers are extremely physical. Pretty much everything the Vikes at this point in time “are not”. PHYSICAL being the keyword. Spielman has to decide on what type of team he is trying to build, and stick to the plan !!!

117. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Gubber, you may be right. I do think it is a hard game to predict. San Fran just beat one of the hottest teams in the league.

118. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

The Vikings led by coach Frazier lost 9 games by 7 points or less … is that what you said Titus?

119. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Shawn– I was not sure on the number– think I said abt 8- but yes. So, that tells me he is on the cusp of being good. I bet we make the SB within two or three years, unless of course, we fire Frazier and start over.

120. By sandiamond on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

J
    Je
    Jer
    Jere
    Jerel
    JerelW
    JerelWo
    JerelWor
    JerelWort
    JerelWorth
    JerelWorthy!!!
    JerelWorthy!!!

121. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

I think Frazier will win enough to keep his job as long as the player personnel guy brings in some talent at the positions i think every one in football knows the Vikings need. I cant imagine Spielman not knowing OL DB are the biggest issues. Followed by WR and LB.

I say LB because as of right now Chad Greenway is the only starter signed. The Hendersons are FAs and Brinkeley is coming off a major injury.

Unless Spielman thinks TE and RB are the weakest links we should manage to keep Fraziers job.

122. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

TyH
    TyHi
    TyHil
    TyHilt
    TyHilto
    TyHilton
    TyHilton!!! get percy some help

125. By Mike B. on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Don’t forget about getting Blackmon. We need an outstanding WR.

126. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Morri
    Morr
    Mor
    Mo
    M

127. By purple08 on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Well let’s just hope that you idiots will treat Ponder a little better than you did T-Jack. What a great move in firing Childress eh? We are so much better off now. I still contend that Lord Farve set the Vikings back 5 years by driving a wedge between players and coach Childress. Well it sure has been nice not hearing #4’s name this season. What a disgrace to the Vikings organization he was. Get well AP.

128. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

C
    Ca
    Car
    Carl
    CarlN
    CarlNi
    CarlNic
    CarlNick
    CarlNicks ………………….. :) OL :)
    CarlNick
    CarlNic
    CarlNi
    CarlN
    Carl
    Car
    Ca
    C

129. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Lol Shawn.

130. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

I agree Purple08.

131. By sandiamond on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

WR’s in the draft… good look here but the current order is no good

132. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Drafting Blackmon at #3 wouldnt be too smart. Hes more of a Hakeem Nicks/Dez Bryant than a Larry Fitzgerald. If we were pick #12 then I would be fine with it. Hes not worth a top 3 pick.

133. By sandiamond on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Oh my! some tall safeties in the draft!!!! weeeeeeeeeeeee

134. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Was Tyrell Johnson a Strong Safety?

135. By TheRealDon on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Spence..I’m tired of ppl talking bout were a player can be drafted at..If he is the best players at that position and we needed him than pick him..Not saying I want a WR over DB or OL

136. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

I dont believe in that TRD.

137. By TheRealDon on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Spence..I’m not saying draft a player cause he is the best at that position..I’m just saying if we needed that position and he is the best player draft him..But we have other holes that are far more important..

138. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Trading back 1 to Cleveland picking up another first rounder … still with a chance for Kalil or Claiborne or Blackmon would be SO FLIPPIN KOOL !!!

Even Trading to 6 with Washington might land one of those 3 …

1- Colts – Luck
    2- Rams – Blackmon or Kalil
    3- Redskins – RG3
    4-Browns – Richardson or Blackmon
    5- Buccs – Claiborne
    6- Vikings- well maybe Blackmon / Kalil I guess or LT- Martin / Reiff

Get an extra second from the skins and have the 3rd and 6th pick in the second 35th and 38th overall … 2 more should be starters

I like the Cleveland idea best to get 1 of the main guys in the draft with a second first rounder … but thats less likely I think. It would make more sense for Cleveland to jump us

Rams Have Jeff Fisher and Schottenheimer now so they will pound the ball making it more likely they draft Kalil.

139. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Is Claiborne fast?

140. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Well, the draft after round one or two is organic, like a rushing river– or a chess game- many variables with 32 teams involved. Easy to say we should do this or that, but it is an ever-changing dynamic system that is not always predictable. I am just letting the experts work on it– I don’t have time to strategize so many unknowns. You can have a strategy and a system, but you cannot determine precisely who you can pick after the initial rounds. Why worry, be happy.

141. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Titus- We care not for your opinion. This is the fun time of the off-season….speculating what we will do in the draft.

142. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Spence, if you care not for my opinion, then care not to read it.

143. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

I will continue to converse with Shawn, Parody, Fred Jones, RealDon, Sandiamond and the like, thank you very much– Spence.

144. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

-_______-

145. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Spence, you’re moving your mouth, but I can’t hear you.

146. By TheRealDon on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Vikings plan to interview Colts assistant Williams for DC job

147. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Is he any good? This Williams fellow?

148. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

His defenses are horrible and have always been horrible. They seemed to always have the worst rated run defense everyear

149. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Frazier worked with him in Indy in 2003-04. That sums it up.

150. By GM on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

KIRBY SMART for Defensive Coordinator!!!!!

151. By GM on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

152. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

153. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

You know what the defense is really missing? S.P.E.E.D! Other than Sherals, our fastest guy is who…Chris Cook?

154. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Spence this ones for you … and I like Titus’s contribution

155. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Spence this is better I was at this game

156. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Who thinks Ced Griffen cant play FS ?

157. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Shawn, This is for You….

158. By Frederick Jones on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Nice graphics by Shawn and Sandiamond.

That should get Spielman’s attention!

159. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Cedric Griffin is perfect. This ones for you Shawn

160. By Frederick Jones on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

The Vikings have two very good young QBs. Certainly one will emerge as
    a starter.

The contributions of the offensive line are highly underrated. Bud Grant’s teams always had a good O Line and D Line.

In addition Bud Grant/Jim Finks/MIke Lynn often took Offensive Linemen in the first three rounds. Grant had FOUR STRAIGHT YEARS OF TAKING AT LEAST ONE OFFENSIVE LINEMAN IN THE FIRST THREE ROUNDS AND THOSE WERE THE DAYS OF 12-17 PICKS!!!

161. By Frederick Jones on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

RICHARD SPIELMAN…Bud Grant knew the value of offensive linemen.

You can tell it, by looking at how high he selected these OLs!!!

162. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Spence your a Crdinals fan? Here this ones for you

163. By Frederick Jones on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

@Spence,

That is not true about the 49ers Coach.

They had several great picks in the draft, including their number 1 sacker this year.

That coach might have done a great job, just don’t pin it all on him.

Even St. Vincent Lombardi had some personnel help to win all those titles!

164. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Spence did you notice Chris Cooks speed leaving Court ?

165. By Frederick Jones on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

@Shawn,

Spence seems to have a way to stir up trouble on Vikings.com Blog.

It makes me wonder if he is real.

166. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Fred- Its only in fun with Shawn.

167. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Spence how many games did Griffen miss due to that arrest?

168. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Spence is really fun.

169. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Fred I started this one … the blog was slow :)

170. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Hmm……it says comment is awaiting moderation, never seen that b4.

171. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

it means if you say the wron thing you will be banned … so choose your words carefully …

172. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Excellent tackle by Griffin

173. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

*** wrong

174. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

lol how dare you

175. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Shawn, you are so right. After looking at the film, Cedric is a beast. Without question!

176. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

It is so hard to find Viking DB highlights

177. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Lololol. You’re so right Shawn.

178. By TheRealDon on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Shawn..Good ones that is..

179. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

And this guy was starting at CB….

180. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Cedric played deranged at times– he is definitely someone you want in battle. Spence– they are watching you now…

181. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Spence seriously the packer highlights ? not kool man

182. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

TRD … very true . Spence might be a lonely Packer fan that saw our 300 posts a day and thought he’d hang out

183. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

My bad. Im done with it. But just imagine Cook and Claiborne on the same field!

184. By Frederick Jones on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

@Spence,

Sorry old boy. That is why I drink drano!

185. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

I took the one Packer clip like a man but please no packers …

186. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Shawn…………Uh, this place was averaging like 50 posts a day till I came here. I would like to consider my self the Cortland Finnegan of blogging.

187. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Yea indeed your the blog jester

188. By Frederick Jones on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

@Spence,

More like the Randy Moss of cafeteria style food!

189. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Truly you jest Spence, this blog was averaging about two to five hundred posts a day during the games.

190. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

FINALLY……I FOUND MY FIRST POST ON THIS WEBSITE!!!! WOOOOOOO
    ITS THE 1ST ONE!

191. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Fredrick, don’t joke about such things, someone may think it’s kool-aid.

192. By Frederick Jones on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Randy Moss: “D a m n, no drano!!!!”

193. By Viking-ology on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

We can nail the draft, but if the coaching staff coaches like they did this year (clueless) then it won’t matter who we have. It’s on you Frazier, you need to make it work.

194. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

I wonder what Berrian is doing right now.

195. By Frederick Jones on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

@Titus,

drano is the true elixir of 3-13 Vikings fans!

196. By Viking-ology on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

O-line

197. By Frederick Jones on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Lime Away for shiny, strong hair!!

198. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Spence … Did you read that blog people kind of liked you lol and look what i said

By Shawn on Sep 25, 2011 | Reply

Cook was in good position … Calvin Johnson is just a beast
    BTW Calvin Johnson is also a paid professional who makes more than chris Cook
    you people are insane to blame Cook for that

199. By Viking-ology on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Berrian is playing cards with Chilly and Singletary.

200. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Except I think Spence was the Rocksalt impersonator and maybe thats why rock hasnt been around as much

201. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

I swear it wasnt me. Back then I was a lot more chill. I wasnt looking for any trouble.

202. By Viking-ology on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

There are some good WR in FA we can pick up along with a good draft pick.

203. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Berrian is on the hunt for a genetically mutated spider to bite him so he can catch a football

204. By Frederick Jones on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

@Spence,

According to the Wiki Bernard Berrian is not in the NFL right now. Neither is Donovan McNabb. Their huge salaries make it tough to justify a roster spot.

Two guys good enough to start, now neither can find a NFL job!

205. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Berrian is trying to find Krypton so he can get super powers on earth that would allow him to create separation from 3rd string DBs

206. By Viking-ology on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!OT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

207. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

LOL Fred … 2 guys that could start for Chilly but no one else. Frazier learned quick with McNabb. Id put money on McNabb being the starter till week 10 if Chilly was coach

208. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Whose gonna lead this team in picks? I think Abdullah will with 4.

209. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Abdullah is a free agent … I bet we sign a safety in free agency better than abdullah

210. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

It seems like every member on the D is a F.A

211. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Whoever will lead this team in INTs isnt on the roster. If Cook gets a good plea and makes it back and has worked hard and …. BAH nevermind so many ifs with that guy … Frazier said it best “Im not even thinking about Cook, Im moving on as if hes not here untill I hear differant” …

212. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

I think the only 2 we need to sign are EJ and Shiancoe … the rest are easily replaceable

213. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Lol Shawn. But even if he did make it on the team. Cook wouldnt lead us in ints. Hes like Nmadi from the Raiders.

214. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

We do not need to sign Va$hittte Shiancoe. Hes the most overrated guy on the team. Dude didnt even have a catch the final 3 games..

215. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

See Spence you gave another ” if ” … “IF” we were a good team we’d win more games

216. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Well all I can give right now are “Ifs”

217. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Spence in Musgraves offense he uses 3 TEs … We have Rudolph. Reisner might be good but thats an if so I think bringing shiancoe back to back up Rudolph is a good move … If Shiancoe was smart hed want that deal at a fair price. If hes not well he’ll look elsewhere

218. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Spence I meant Chris Cook “IF”s … Cook has too many IFs

219. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Shawn- where do you want the stadium built?

220. By Viking-ology on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

1-OT
    2-CB
    3-WR
    4-DB

221. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Arden Hills

222. By Spence on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Well im off for the night. It was a pleasure talking to you Shawn. Your allrite.

223. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

G’night spence

224. By Shawn on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

OK everyone Spence left , its safe :)

225. By Viking-ology on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

OT-OT-OT-OT-OT-OT-OT-OT-OT-OT-OT-OT-OT-OT-OT-OT-OT-OT Ponder likes the pick! Having time to go through his progressions, what a novel idea

226. By Viking-ology on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

LOL Shawn

227. By Viking-ology on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

NFL channel is doing a mock draft tommorrow, it’ll be interesting to watch this develop over the next few months.

228. By animal26 on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Here is another name to the coaching staff. If they hire this guy, then the Vikings will be continuing to run the Tampa 2. http://www.dailynorseman.com/2012/1/16/2712298/another-name-emerges-in-the-vikings-defensive-coordinator-search?ref=yahoo

229. By animal26 on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

coaching search*

230. By Mike B. on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Pick the best player that is availible when the pick comes up. We need WR, OT, and CB. So who is ever best at that pick I will be happy with. Don’t exclude a WR just because we have other needs. We still have FA and other picks to get those other needs.

231. By Mike B. on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

As long as Frazier is coach there will be no 3-4 so let’s get over it already.

232. By Mike B. on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

McNabb was still owed 1.5 M and Berrian almost as much, so why would they want to play for a lot less on another team. They can sit out heal up and try again next year. I see both as backups on a team in the NFL next year.

233. By Regfan on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Good teams rely on good playing ,bad teams rely on questionable calls

234. By BACK TO THE FUTURE on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Bring McNabb back with a healthy and new O Line. Plus bring back Chilly as Offensive Coordinator.

235. By Mike B. on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

I am not sure that would work BTF, but Chilly is a much better OC than a HC. McNabb would be an upgrade from Sage.

236. By BACK TO THE FUTURE on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

McNabb did not get a fair chance.

237. By TheRealDon on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

If we are running the cover 2 next year I will be on my Fire Frazier hype all year..

238. By Titus on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

I am thinking the Ravens may pull it off.

239. By KLAWZ on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Heck yeah! NO PACK AND NO DAT GOING TO THE BOWL…..LOVE IT! No discount double check! LOL! Its Pats vs ? …. if i had to guess niners! I will be for sure rooting for the 49ers out of the final 4!

240. By GM on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

KIRBY SMART for Defensive Coordinator.

241. By DRS on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Beeverchoan, go and F your self.

242. By Nicholas on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Leslie Frazier should step up as DC. Leave Singletary where he is. I’d say let someone else be an assitant head coach while Frazier acts as head coach and makes the defensive playcalling….whether or not that should be Mike Singletary…….well, we shall see.

243. By Nicholas on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Leslie Frazier for DC!!!!!!!!!

Leslie Frazier for DC!!!!!!!!!

Leslie Frazier for DC!!!!!!!!!

Leslie Frazier for DC!!!!!!!!!

244. By Nicholas on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Kirby Smart would be nice too, but I doubt that will happen : (

245. By Nicholas on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Oh wait…Singletary already is assistant head coach…duh.

246. By 61vikings on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

I can see a scenario play out in the draft, if the Rams take Kalil, the Vikes would make a trade with the Radskins, so they can draft RG3 and we would still be able to draft a great player at the 6th pick, plus pick up extra picks in the 2nd and 3rd round!! However, it is very important that we rebuild our OL and DB’s!! If we make a trade to get more picks, this draft needs to be OL,DB’s and more OL and DB’s, plus throw in a WR,MLB and NT!!!!!!

247. By OTKalil2012 on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

If RG III is available and the Rams take Kalil…The minimum cost for the right to draft RG III will be the Browns 2 first round picks…The Redskins would have to cough up their 6th rounder this year and their 1st round pick in 2013 draft…plus their 3rd rounder this spring and their 3rd round pick in 2013….I see this the “minimum” number of picks the Vikings or the Rams would get for any team wishing to take their position in the draft to select RG III…Fisher taking over at head coach for the Rams…I can very well see him take Kalil at number 2…And pass on the extra picks…Kalil is that good to help protect Bradford and help pound the running game like Fisher likes to do…Vikings will be very happy no matter how this scenario works out…Multiple picks or Kalil….Both would have huge value to this team…

248. By 61vikings on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

@ Saddy
    You are absolutely correct!! Bill Leavy should be fired for that obvious display of wanting the Packers to win!! We should know all to well, because we got the same treatment in the NFC title game against the Saints, where the Saints were out to hurt Favre and the refs allowed a lot of late hits!! It was obvious to us all, even Troy Aikman and Joe Buck, said it was a fumble, but yet he went to the replay booth and still gave the ball to the Packers!! I think Bill Leavy lives in Wisconsin!!!!!

249. By OTKalil2012 on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

The team wanting to draft RG III….If it does end up the Redskins….I see any trade with the Rams or Vikings looking like this…Redskins trade their 6th round in the first round and their 3rd round pick this spring….And to make sure that Shanahan and D Snyder get what they want will trade their 1st round picks in the 2013 and 2014 drafts….Snyder and Shanahan throw around draft picks like water when they want to get a player they covet…And remember that I believe Shanahan was dropping down a few places below the Vikings to grab Ponder last season…When he traded away their position in the draft to Jacksonville to select Gabbert….Shanahan is not going to blow his chance at RG III…No matter what it costs him….If he doesn’t do well this season in Redskin territory…It might be his last…I expect the Redskins to break the bank to get RG III…

250. By Spence on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

WILL THE MAILBAG BE POSTED????????

251. By DuaneN on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Rams should trade Bradford for the Redskins pick and take RG3.

252. By GM on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Kirby Smart for Defensive Coordinator!!!!

253. By snafu on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

ALMOST ANY PICK ANY POSITION WOULD IMPROVE OVER LAST YEARS TEAM.

254. By snafu on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

I LIVE IN NEW ENGLAND AN WE NEED TO PUT A TEAM TOGETHER TO BEAT THE PATS. BUT WE NEED TO BEAT GREEN BAY MORE OFTEN TOO

255. By Rocksalt on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

OK last time-
    Jim Harbaugh 1st year coach
    Jim Harbaugh faced limited off-season prep(like everyone else)
    I am tired of the proliferation of excuses for Frazier….oh injuries(see McCarthy last year) oh lack of talent ……..whatever…….oh poor calls fcrom refs……oh poor magmny(FRED)….
    IMO, and ads EVIDENCE IN LEAGUE….. COACHES WAY MORE IMPORTANT THAN MGMNT………

256. By Rocksalt on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

managment not magmy

257. By snafu on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Have to agree. here in NE they don’t have the best players but I think they do have the best coach.

258. By Rocksalt on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

snafu- especially when the lunch-pail pats beat the greatest show on turf in Super bowl..one I will cherish for some time……

259. By Erik the Red on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

I just hope we get a good draft class this year. We have the picks to get something solid, so please Vikings, pull a 49ers and Bengals, and lets make next year worth watching.

260. By snafu on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

only one way to go

261. By snafu on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

The Kraft’s did it right up here in NE to. They own the whole stadium themselves. Now they make all the money from it.

262. By Troutdaddy on Jan 18, 2012 | Reply

You know what? I am NOT going to miss an opportunity to TRASH on the Packers. Yes, they had a remarkable season but WOO HOO!!!! They got their helmuts handed to them big time and we “Classy” Viking fans can cheer as loud as we want for that fact because IT FEELS GOOD!!! Anyone who says that it isn’t classy to rub it in their faces can send them flowers and a sympathy card. Pffff… Very excited to see how our draft shapes up and how this organization re-vamps.We have a lot to look forward to so gear up!

263. By snafu on Jan 18, 2012 | Reply

NOW THE GIANTS HAVE TO LOSE,FOR COMPLETE JUSTICE

264. By Regfan on Jan 19, 2012 | Reply

Awfully quiet in Lambeau,maybe the Frozen tundra got to em

265. By Packer Fan on Jan 20, 2012 | Reply

Now you know how we felt when you guy’s lost to the Saints in the NFC championship game two years ago with good old Brent Favre. Just thinking about that is refreshing enough to forget about the Pack losing. Plus the fact that we won the Superbowl last year doesn’t hurt, oh yeah it’s still good to be a Packer fan. Go Niners and Ravens!

266. By Jim M on Jan 21, 2012 | Reply

I don’t understand the Viking philosophy. We pick up two new coaches, one from a 2/14 team and another from a 6/10 team. The Rams where we got one of guys from went after and got Schottenheimer from the Jets, 8/8 team, and Gregg Williams from the from a 3/13 Saints. We add these guys to a head coach from San Francisco team that’s going to a NFC championship game.

267. By Jim M on Jan 21, 2012 | Reply

Sorry got it backwards. Saints 13/3 team.

268. By Regfan on Jan 22, 2012 | Reply