NFL Talent Will Be On Display During Tonight’s BCS Title Game

Posted by Mike Wobschall on January 9, 2012 – 7:12 am

If you’re a football fan, whether it be college football, pro football or both, tonight is must-see TV. Alabama and LSU will battle in the BCS title game in New Orleans tonight in a game that will feature several future NFL players, including perhaps a handful of players who will be selected with 1st-round picks.

With the Vikings currently holding the #3 overall selection in April’s draft, tonight’s Alabama-LSU game also becomes must-see TV for Vikings fans.

Both Alabama and LSU boast CBs who will be worthy of Top 10 picks, with Dre Kirkpatrick suiting up in the crimson and white of Alabama and Morris Claiborne sporting the purple and yellow of LSU. Another player who may be selected in the Top 10 – not by the Vikings, though – is Alabama RB Trent Richardson. Alabama had another RB last year – Mark Ingram – taken in the 1st round, and it seems almost certain that Richardson will make it back-to-back years with a 1st-round RB for Alabama.

While it’s an impressive feat for Alabama’s offense to have back-to-back 1st-round RBs, there’s no question that the strength of both of these teams is defense. Claiborne and Kirkpatrick are the top prospects for each team, but each team also has two other defensive players who could go in the 1st round. LSU features a pair of talented defensive linemen in DE Sam Montgomery and DT Michael Brockers. Alabama, meanwhile, boasts S Mark Barron and OLB Courtney Upshaw.

These names might not be household to most Vikings fans. But that might not be the case after watching tonight’s BCS title game.

54 Responses to “NFL Talent Will Be On Display During Tonight’s BCS Title Game”

1. By Deertracks on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

This is all well and good, Mike Wobschall…However, I have a few comments on the Bronco — Steelers game…

I watched the whole game just to see what all the ruckus about Tebow was all about..He put on quite a show..

T-Bones play action was the same as I have seen Joe Webb and Ponder perform…Running like a rabbit when he had too..

So why has some of the Bloggers on this site been so down on Joe Webb doing the SAME thing?? Of course, Denver has an Offensive Line…The Vikings a block of Swees Cheeze..Forget it, I just answered that didn’t I…

2. By Deertracks on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Swiss Cheeze, that is…

3. By Mike B. on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

I think you misunderstand some of us. It isn’t that we are down on Webb, but rather that Ponder has more tools to be a long run QB for the Vikings. Tebow is a flash in the pan. 1 or maybe 2 years he will be in the mix of backups in the league.

4. By Mike B. on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Although Tebow might become a more traditional QB and that would change the above opinion.

5. By Mike B. on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Mike W you stopping the Monday Morning Mailbag for the offseason?

6. By Bigfan1 on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

The egg and the chicken argument, will a great CB stop a great WR, watching the Saints/Detroit game you can’t count on one player albeit Johnson, so you could say a CB is better. However, Brees had a lot of time to throw therefore Kalil would be a good pick. Linemen are really needed by the Vikes but so are those other two positions. I guess we could look at the Alabama/LSU game and say defense was the key, a great secondary would be the envy of any franchise. I’ve heard coach Frazier say the secondary is definitely lacking, I think they’re going to take Claiborne.

7. By sandiamond on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

talent !! get ready tonight Barron my fav db in the country

8. By Packer Supa Bowl Champs on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

9. By Packer Supa Bowl Champs on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

10. By Daniel on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

The first picks of the Vikings should be DBs, you know it

11. By Shawn on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Morris Claiborne already wears purple and yellow … plays a position of need. and is described as having elite speed, elite cover ability , and elite ball skills. So if Kalil is gone Claiborne is my pick. I think offense is a lot easier to peice together than defense. with all the new rules preventing players from playing defense, it makes supreme talent to overcome the elite offenses a must.

Spagnuolo
    Tyvon Branch
    Morris Claiborne

added to Jared Allen, Kevin Willians , and Chad Greenway

the begining of GBs fall from the NFC North

12. By Shawn on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

GB has an elite DB Charles Woodson

When the Patriots were a “Dynasty” they had Ty Law and Lawyer Milloy

WE NEED TALENT IN THE SECONDARY … NOT JUST BODIES !!!!!!!!

2009 … Minnesota Vikings … Had a pre injured Ced Griffen and a Pro Bowl Antoine Winfield in their secondary

1998 … Minnesota Vikings had Corey Fuller and Pro Bowler Robert Griffith in their secondary

13. By Shawn on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

I love that One Clap song it should be #1 on the billboard charts

14. By Shawn on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

@Mike Wobschall … you kinda skipped out of MMM on us, but I have a guy you should look at if your a Laron Landry fan

Tyvon Branch … strong safety
    25 years old
    3 year starter
    hasnt missed a game
    100+ tackles all 3 years

Compare career stats …

Branch … 4 seasons … 347 tackles … 6 sacks … 16 pass breakups … 3 INTs
    Landry … 5 seasons … 383 tackles … 5.5 sacks … 32 pass brekups … 4 INTs

Branch 25 years old didnt start as a rookie .. hasnt missed a game in 3 seasons

Landry 27 years old and has not finished a season for the last 2 years

I know some people think all injuries are just freak occurances, I disagree some guys just get hurt a lot.

Sydney Rice = injury prone
    Randy Moss = Never injured

Chad Pennington = injury prone
    Brett Favre = couldnt get injured till he was 41

Laron Landry = injury prone
    Tyvon Branch = plays with a cast on a broken hand

15. By Shawn on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Branch … 4 seasons … 347 tackles … 6 sacks … 16 pass breakups … 3 INTs
    Landry … 5 seasons … 383 tackles … 5.5 sacks … 32 pass brekups … 4 INTs
    Abdullah.. 4 seasons … 162 tackles …. 2 sacks …… 13 pass breakups … 4 INTs
    Sanford … 3 seasons … 126 tackles … 1 sack ……… 5 pass breakups …. 2 INTs

Landry … 27 years old
    Abdullah . 26 years old
    Sanford … 26 years old
    Branch …. 25 years old

16. By Shawn on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

@Mike Wobschall … when is the next presser?

17. By Spence on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Does Wobbs every respond? NO!

18. By vikings4life on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

DRE KIRPATRICK

19. By sandiamond on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Rest of the Bunch! nfl talent

LSU
    wr reuben randle # 2 6 feet 4
    s brandon taylor #18
    c/og t-bob hebert #53
    cb ron brooks #13

ALABAMA

lb dont’a hightower #30
    ng josh chapman #99
    s robert lester #37
    ol william vlachos #73
    wr marquis maze #4
    cb dequan menzie #24

20. By Rudso on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

I will be recording this game and I would recommend other Viking fans to do the same. There is a big possibility the Vikings will end up with several players from today’s BCS game.

If the Vikings could end up with at least 1 of the top 3 secondary players in this game (Claieborn, Kirkpatrick, and Barron) I will be a happy camper.

Honestly I don’t know to much about them just yet as I haven’t watched a lot of LSU or Alabama games but they all posses great ability.

I think Kirkpatrick has Viking written all over him. 6’2 CB with great ball skills in coverage, very confident and a good tackler. I would love to see him pair up with Cook and have Winfield in the slot. Would be almost a dream to have both Kirkpatrick and Barron from Alabama wearing purple and yellow next season, instantly a much tougher secondary.

21. By Parody on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

To the MMM complaints: Mike did conduct a mailbag this week, but for some reason he did not ask for us to contribute questions in the blog. This week’s mailbag was exceptionally short, as Mike only answered 3-questions.

I e-mailed him a question that was not included in these answers, but Wobschall was kind enough to reply to my e-mail with a candid answer, a refreshing change to his normal mantra. My question was about the firing of Dunbar. Here is the key sentence from his response:

“I also know there are other factors – unrelated to football but too personal to disclose publicly – that led to Dunbar’s dismissal.”

22. By Shawn on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Parody … thanx. I will say Mike Wobschall has always responded to my emails. He does a good job with that at least for me. I just quit emailing after last season and started using the MMM blog. I figured he has enough angry fans filling his inbox.

23. By Frederick Jones on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

@Parody,

Thanks for the blurb about Dunbar. That was as I expected…he said something, or perhaps did something that upset someone.

We might never know if it was a valid reason for dismissal.

24. By Frederick Jones on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

@Deertracks,

That was a good, practical way to talk about the need for GOOD OFFENSIVE LINEMEN.

@Spielman,

Great players are more likely to be taken in the 1st two rounds of the draft.
    Do not expect to get adequate players in rounds 6, and 7.

25. By Frederick Jones on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

@Sandiamond,

Great work with the data on players.

Keep providing that info. in late April!!!

26. By NovaScotiaVike on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

” I also know other jokes-unrelated to football but too personal to discuss publicly-that might lead to my dismissal”.

27. By gubber on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Keep an eye on LSU’s WR Reuben Randle. He’s #2 and is quite simply a stud in the same mold as Jeffery and Blackmon. Only reason he’s not as highly touted ( 2nd round ) is that he’s surrounded with talent and doesn’t get the ball as much. Has all the physical tools and being the only Viking wideout threat would get him the ball a lot more and show off his talent. Another Percy only bigger.

28. By sandiamond on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Lots of fans eager to see #17!

29. By sandiamond on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Hanks # 15 tall sr wr big game/ prospect rd7

30. By Bigfan1 on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Watching Claiborne against the Tide in the BCS, I’d take Kalil or Blackmon.

31. By sandiamond on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Yea i think we can find another corner from the SEC close in talent rd 2-3

32. By Bigfan1 on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Kirkpatrick from Alabama is playing phenomenal but any of the D players would be golden, the Bama defense is scary.

33. By Bigfan1 on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Hightower the LB from Alabama looks really good.

34. By sandiamond on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

another sr def lineman with bama having a good game. eighteen players already mentioned. roll out the red carpet for bama players!

35. By saddy on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

I say trade down and pick up riley reiff and e hightower

36. By sandiamond on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

“Fire in their belly” College draft player of the week: Dont’a Hightower LB

37. By SpenceBelievesInPonder on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

My Gosh that game was BORING!

38. By saddy on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

I don’t feel good drafting morris claiborne, Jdraft ustin blackmon or Matt kalil or trade down and somehow get hightower, I would love to see him bully gb along with jared allen

39. By VikingsGary on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

First of all, Great game Alabama. Only allowed 92 yards offence to LSU. What a Defence. I would take Kirkpatrick over Claiborne any day. Also liked Hightower. He’s a beast at LB. Alabama’s Offensive lineman looked pretty good to. only allowed 1 sack.

40. By Dionte on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

Why are people down on Claiborne all of a sudden? Granted I only seen 3 quarters but you rarely seen Mccarron throw to his side let alone the person he was covering …

41. By Rocksalt on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

well, say what you want about Tebow……dude knows how to compete to WIN…..can’t coach that!

42. By Packer Supa Bowl Champs on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

Morris Claiboure Is Tha Truth

43. By Shawn on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

Im not sure what the dissapointment in Claiborn was? CB is one position that if you dont see the guys number on TV during the game its probable he did an outstanding job of covering his guy. Some may remember watching the cowboys in the playoff with Deion. The only time youd ever see Deion is if a RB caught a ball in the flat and Deion would flash in the screen to make a lame attempt at a tackle.

Or the 1 or 2 times a QB actually threw to Deions side and he would pick it off and high step for a TD.

44. By Spence-27-44 on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

What is Claibournes defining moment?

45. By Irish Vike on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

I Think we’ve to prioritise the o-line in the draft! Think its much easier to strengthen DBs and WRs in free agency! We need a stud LT how many teams would give up a good LT? I think it has to be done in the draft!

46. By Vikingdownunder on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

We need everything! I’ll take Hightower first to ahve the pleasure of seeing him and Allen destroy Rodgers cause aprt from that i do not have high hopes for a victory.

47. By Rudso on Jan 11, 2012 | Reply

Hightower was never mentioned on this board before and after 1 game all of a sudden the Vikings should pick him up in the first round? Seriously? LB is not a need for the Vikings considering all the other needs we have. Forget about Hightower, the Vikings will not use a first round pick on a LB.

I actually found it funny how after the BCS game, everyone now wants Kirkpatrick instead of Claiborn. I really like Kirkpatrick’s traits as a CB but it’s not like Claiborne is now the #2 CB because they didn’t throw his way or they didn’t mention his name a lot during the game.

48. By sandiamond on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

any DL or LB would only be in play rounds 1-3 with an extra pick. Just simply too many game-changers not to take one and address wr, etc later in the draft

49. By jjkrom on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Draft Blockman. Having him on the team will not only improve the O line, but make Harvin and Rudolph even more dangerous. Draft OL and secondary in later rounds. Joe Thomas/Jake Long, what’s their team records. Ponder and Webb are scramblers. Opposing defense wont have a clue what to do. We’ll be in the playoffs again in 2 years if Wilf will throw down some cash on a top caliber free agent or 2

50. By Mike R. on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Johnthan Banks CB Miss St decided to stay for his senior season. It’s good for him. But I was hoping that he came out because he could have been an unknown steal of the draft.

51. By Mike R. on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

sandiamond

where are you? You always find some sandiamonds in the rough…(Terrell Manning)

52. By sandiamond on Jan 15, 2012 | Reply

Mike R, 102 days away from the draft and the underclassmen finish up today. Let the gurus mock rounds 1-3, we have to help find the sandiamonds from round 4-7!!

T. Manning got projected round 4-5…. we’ll see what happens, sent in some info to the scout department

2. Jan 11, 2012: NFL Talent Will Be On Display During Tonight’s BCS Title Game | VikesCity
  3. Jan 11, 2012: NFL Talent Will Be On Display During Tonight’s BCS Title Game | VikesCity