Greenway Earns First Pro Bowl Honor

Posted by Mike Wobschall on January 9, 2012 – 12:03 pm

Jared Allen will not travel alone to Hawaii for this year’s Pro Bowl. Fellow defender Chad Greenway has also been named to the NFC’s Pro Bowl roster and will make his first apperance in the NFL’s all-star game.

Greenway recorded a team high and personal best 174 tackles in 2011, and now has led the Vikings in tackles from 2008-11. He also ranked 3rd on the team in tackles for loss with 13.0, tallied 2.0 sacks, registered 4 passes defensed and recovered one fumble.

“On behalf of the entire Vikings organization, our congratulations go to Chad for this great honor,” Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier said. “Chad is a vital part of our team, and the fact that he led our team in tackles and was also third in tackles for loss this season is proof of that. His production on the field has been matched only by his leadership in the locker room and off the field. Hopefully this is the first of many more Pro Bowls for Chad.”

The South Dakota native will replace Chicago linebacker Lance Briggs who is unable to play due to an injury. This marks the second straight season where a Vikings’ LB has been selected to the Pro Bowl as E.J. Henderson was named last season. Since 2006, the Vikings have sent 3 of the past 4 players selected in the 1st round to the Pro Bowl (Greenway, Adrian Peterson and Percy Harvin).

Greenway was also named the Vikings 2011 Community Man of the Year. Head to www.greenway52.com for more information about Chad’s community efforts.

Tags:

108 Responses to “Greenway Earns First Pro Bowl Honor”

1. By Shawn on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

does this mean the LB coach will be the next coach fired?

2. By Shawn on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Mike Wobschall ???? Is there any hope for us fans to have a good team when our head coach has no clue where the problems are?

We have the worst secondary in Viking history …. and we fire the DL coach ????

Someone explain the insanity. We dont have LBs that are known for sacks so our DL basically carried our defense to a #1 ranking and the coach got fired ???

I may leave the Frazier support wagon soon this just looks like the dumbest move since Randy Moss was cut ….

3. By Shawn on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Im confused by Dunbars firing … our DL was pretty good. Shouldnt it be the DB coach geting fired?

4. By David P on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

He is not going to answer you because Mike is like the rest of the vikings staff. They do not know what areas need improving so they met and decided that if the DL could stink like the DB’s did last year maybe no one would notice.

5. By Shawn on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Dunbar said he wasn’t able to diagnose the root cause of the Vikings’ 3-13 freefall.

“I’m a position coach,” he said. “I’m not a coordinator. I’m not a head coach. When I look at what I did with the Minnesota Vikings, my piece of the puzzle was to make the defensive line play as well as they could. We played well against the run. I think we finished No. 11 against the run. And we finished No. 1 in sacks. And the guy I coached led the league in sacks with 22 on a team that really didn’t have a lead the last eight games of the year. So I thought that was my piece of the puzzle. I can’t worry about running backs, defensive backs, receivers, linebackers. When you do it, you focus on your job, put your piece of the puzzle in and go from there.”

this move really baffles me …. Mike Wobs ???? Is there any hope for us fans to have a good team when our head coach has no clue where the problems are?

6. By Shawn on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

How many other statistical categories are we top 10 in so i can predict who will be fired next…. we are bottom 5 in the league in pass defense with the #1 pass rush yet the DB coach has a job and the DL coach got fired ….
    Will the RB coach be the next to go??

7. By Rudso on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

I’m sure they had a reason if they fired the coach. I know we did well in the sack department overall but from the 50 sacks recorded, almost half came from 1 player: Jared Allen. He was always double teamed and sometimes even triple teamed. No one else on the D-Line got up to double digit sacks. I would say it was a disappointing season from K. Williams. Robinson didn’t do TOO bad with 8 sacks but considering he had J. Allen on the other side I guess I expected a little more from him.

But this is about Greenway and his first Pro Bowl. Well deserved Chad Greenway. This is why we franchised him instead of Rice.

8. By Derrick.G on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Robison did what Ray Edwards did most of his time in minnesota. 8-10 sacks a season, so it wasnt too much of a drop-off there. 1st full season as a starter i believe? (clarification needed) I think he did pretty good.

9. By Justin on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Where are you getting 174 tackles? ESPN and NFL .coms have 154?

10. By Rudso on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Derrick G., your right, 1st season as a starter 8 sacks is not bad. I think he also had 3 forced fumbles. Like I said, I guess with J. Allen getting all of the attention, I guess I expected more from Robinson.

The numbers are there but when I was watching the game, the push and harassment of the pocket was lacking. It looked like the 8 sacks where a factor of the QB trying to avoid J. Allen.

But still not a bad year for a 1st year starting.

11. By Rudso on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

I think the problem with the D-Line was the DT position and not enough push of the pocket. Is there a DT in this draft named Williams? Preferably big stomach, takes up a lot of room?

12. By Spence on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

What is Greenways defining moment this year?

13. By David P on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

I guess his defining moment was that he played in all 16 games. other than that he was a high profile LB that was not voted into the Pro Bowl and go selected to fill in. He had a decent season though for a team that went 3-13. I guess since he was selected to the probowl the LB coach will be the next to get fired.

14. By Shawn on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

We decided to double-check Spielman’s conclusion by comparing the numbers from Ponder’s 10 starts this season with the stats those other quarterbacks put up in their first 10 NFL starts.

Here goes:

Rodgers 5-5
    Cutler 4-6
    Manning 3-7
    Ponder 2-8
    Stafford 2-8

15. By Shawn on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

keep in mind brees and rodgers didnt start as rookies … they had time to sit and study before playing. brees started his second season and rodgers i dont know 3 seasons?

16. By spence on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

I hope Ponder can produce some Tebow Magic next year.

17. By Frederick Jones on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

@Shawn,

Maybe Dunbar shot somebody!!!

18. By Frederick Jones on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

@Shawn,

Or there could be jealousy on the Vikings staff???

19. By Frederick Jones on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Anyway, getting Dunbar back would not be good now, and they won’t do it.

It’s frustrating, I hope they can get some good defensive coaches out of this mess!

20. By gubber on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Chad’s full marks for his

21. By TheRealDon on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Why do we never get news about this team on the website..How are the coach interviews going..Whats new ?

22. By gubber on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Let’s try that again. Chad’s full marks for his Pro Bowl selection. Great run stuffer and good pass defender. Your prototypical NFL linebacker. But unlike Jared, Chad is almost untouchable. At his age he has at least 6 – 8 years of good productive play ahead of him. Your d-line line always needs a linebacker who can plug the middle and at the same time go sideline to sideline. I”m told he’s a nice guy and very easy to coach. Not in any way a trouble maker, and a terrific leader. Someone you can build a winner around.

23. By TITUS THE GREAT PREDICTOR on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Justin, you found an error in the article? That is a big error. It might make the top ten.

24. By spence on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Titus who ya got….Broncos Pats?

25. By TITUS on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Whoa, let me redo my username– last week’s perfect picks may not be repeated next week– have to gloat after the fact. I am struggling with next week’s picks.

26. By TITUS on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Let me think on it Spence– common sense would say Pats, but everyone except Titus picked Steelers last week. Pats are so well coached and I think John Fox pulled out all his tricks — it will be tough for Denver… BUT I am not making official picks yet.

27. By VikingFan on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

OVERRATED.

28. By VikingFan on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

I HEAR MORE THINGS FROM NFL NETWORK ABOUT THE VIKINGS THAN I DO ON THIS WEBSITE.

29. By VikingFan on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

HAHAHAH DOES THIS MEAN THE DB COACH WILL BE PROMOTED???

30. By VikingFan on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

WE FIRE AND HIRE THE WRONG PEOPLE THATS WHY OUR FRANCHISE IS SO MESSED UP AND IM SICK OF IT. MISTAKES EVERY YEAR THIS IS CRAZY. WE SHOULD FIRE THE DB COACH NOT THE DL COACH OUR DLINE HAS MADE OUR DEFENSE DESCENT THROUGHOUT THE YEARS AND OUR DB’S HAVE HELD OUR DEFENSE BACK COME ON MAN

31. By TITUS on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Bad news out of GB– the OC’s son is missing after partying Saturday night.

32. By VikingFan on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

THE ONLY REASON I SEE WHY THE VIKES FIRED THE DL IS BECAUSE THEY ARE GOING TO GO TO THE 3-4 BUT I DOUBT IT SINCE WE ARE SO CLOSED MINDED.

33. By Jamie wilson on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

about time green way did it, about time enough people voted for him at least jared allen didn’t have to go alone!

34. By NovaScotiaVike on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

From Fox Sports……..Authorities recovered a body from the icy waters of a Wisconsin river less than a day after the son of Green Bay Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin was reported missing in the area.

According to The Oshkosh Northwestern, police have not yet released the identity of the victim.

The body was a male aged 20-25, the report stated.

The discovery was made Monday afternoon in Oshkosh, Wis. which is about 50 miles south of Green Bay.

Michael T. Philbin, 21, was last heard from Sunday at about 2 a.m. local time. He had gone to the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh to visit friends.

At around 2:30 a.m. Sunday a man called police to report that he believed he heard someone fall through the ice of the Fox River.

The elder Philbin, 50, has been the offensive coordinator of the Packers since 2007 and interviewed last week for the Dolphins’ head coaching vacancy.

The Packers had a bye this past weekend, and will host the Giants in the Divisional Round next Sunday.

35. By mr smiff on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

The body was identified as Michael Philbin. My sincere condolences to the Philbin family.

36. By SpenceWhyDoTheyHateMe? on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Actually, did ANY Defensive player have a defining 4th Quarter moment this year?? We just dont have any clutch players on that side of the football!

37. By Parody on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Wasn’t Griffin’s INT in the 4th quarter?

38. By TITUS on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

That is some sad news. I see people on the ice around here and it’s been in the forties the past couple weeks– close to 50 a few times. Ice is not safe this winter.

39. By SpenceWhyDoTheyHateMe? on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

So that was a season defying 4th quarter play…..an int in week 17, in a meaningless game?

40. By Parody on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Spence, you asked for “a defning 4th quarter moment”. I could think of one this year, but you didn’t ask for any more, so I stopped trying.

41. By Parody on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Titus, I was thinking the same thing back on Xmas day. My family was visiting relatives at White Bear Lake, and I was astonished how many people were out on the lake with their fishing houses in such a warm season. People tried to convince me that it was safer than the weather would make you think, because since it’s such a big lake, it takes more for it to freeze and subsequently thaw. So even though it was 40+ degrees out, the ice was still plenty thick. That wasn’t enough comfort to me though, and I was much more comfortable staying off the ice.

42. By SpenceWhyDoTheyHateMe? on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Its just been a frustrating year Parody. Hopefully next year we can improve and Ponder can take us to the promise land.

43. By vikefanforlife on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

really they fire DL coach when jared allen had 22 sacks but they dont fire the DB coach idk what there doing. thats why they suck. just to top it off adrian is messed up .this is the worst season ever!!!!!!!!!!!

44. By vikefanforlife on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

good job jared allen and chad greenway !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

45. By TITUS on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Parody– there is NO way I would go out on a lake– maybe after the next week– it looks like a big chill down– but I have been on my road bike with the narrow tires the past couple weeks like it is mid- March. I see people on the city lakes near where I live– some way out there in the middle and I cannot help but think that is a bad idea. Overall, the ice may be fairly strong, but any current underneath and the change in temps will create weak areas– and the problem is, you cannot simply swim to shore. Also, we have had several days the past two weeks where the overnight low was barely below freezing and only for a few hours.

46. By TITUS on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

I feel badly for the family and friends of that young man–only 21. It does put football in its proper perspective.

47. By Shawn on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

OMG … Spence how many defining plays can a 3-13 team have. You might as well tell us to dress warm in Alaska. You bring up the dumbest things ever.

We were 3-13 … we are all aware we suck. At least your INT argument is better than your Jarred Allen and Adrian Peterson arguments so I guess Ill relax a little

48. By Shawn on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Vikings were so bad you could take the 10 highest rated college players take out RBs and TEs … make a circle with them blindfold a fan have do drunken bat spins and whoever he falls into would make us a better team.

I only hope Spielman can pick that good

49. By SpenceWhyDoTheyHateMe? on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

What AP arguments?

50. By SpenceWhyDoTheyHateMe? on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

I think hes an amazing talent, absolutely World-Class.

51. By Parody on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Yea…absolutely world class….just gets injured all the time, so it makes him second class to CJ2K.

52. By SpenceWhyDoTheyHateMe? on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

No, it just makes him 1B. CJ is 1A. I love his heart but you cant lie he takes a lot of unnecessary hits. Sometimes I wish he would just walk out of bounds.

53. By SpenceWhyDoTheyHateMe? on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Question for you Parody- Who do you think was the biggest disappointment on Defense this year?

54. By Parody on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Well, Chris Cook was the biggest disappointment because he got himself into trouble. He was showing so much potential, and now it looks unlikely that he’ll still be a Viking by the time he returns to the NFL.

Other than that, I would say that Ayodele was the biggest disappointment. We needed someone to take the place of Pat Williams, and he was given a big paycheck because the coaches thought he could do it. Other defenders played very poorly too, but I had lower expectations of the rest of them from the get-go.

55. By SpenceBelieveInWebb on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Really? I thought Chris Cook was the biggest surprise haha. He locked up some of the best WR’s in the game this year. But I can see how he would be a disappointment for hurting the team.

56. By SpenceBelieveInWebb on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

And you are Completely right about Ayodele. He was Horrible this year.

57. By Shawn on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Well done Parody. I was thinking Ayodele but then I decided it would be better to just say I like 3 guys … Jarred Allen, Chad Greenway, and Kevin Williams. Everyone else on our defense would be good 2nd to 3rd stringers. We have a few good back ups starting for us …. EJ, Robison, and Abdullah. Im not counting Winfield just because hes old and breaking down but I dont want to talk smack about a former great …. yet.

58. By Parody on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Shawn – I have to disagree about EJ and Robison. They’re not stellar players, but they’re solid, reliable starters. If we could fill the rest of the defense with players like that, the defense would see a huge upgrade. You don’t need 22 pro-bowlers ona team for them to be great. But it doesn’t hurt to have a few of them to make the job of the others easier. Kevin, Jared and Chad are pro-bowl quality defenders, while Adrian, Percy, and arguably Rudolph are pro-bowl quality offensive players. We just need to add more Robison/Henderson quality starters around them.

59. By SpenceBelieveInWebb on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Question for you Shawn- If you were the D- Coordinator, where would you put Winfield: CB or Safety?

60. By SpenceBelieveInWebb on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Question for you Parody- What player do you think was the most pleasant surprise this year?

61. By Shawn on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Nickelback … which is a corner. at 5’9″ and 180 lbs I dont think he could last 8 games at safety. He can barely last 8 games at corner.

62. By SpenceBelieveInWebb on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Im going to ignore the suttle personal attack. So what would you do with Sapp, Sherals, Asher Allen, and Ced Griffin?

63. By Shawn on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

grrr flippin censorship blocked my post …

64. By Shawn on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Ill try 1 more time

You might be right about EJ and Robison looking better with more talent around them.

But IMO a DE that doesnt get 10 sacks didnt do his job. Especially when the other DE has 22. Point blank no exceptions. So I think Robison is a good back up.

EJ is still a great run stuffer but he seemed to lose a step in pass coverage giving up some big plays down the middle. Like you said though maybe with more talent around him especially at safety he would of looked better.

OK this is a shorter version of the original but flippin censorship sux

65. By Shawn on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

What personal attack? I just made sure you knew what a NB was. It wasnt an attack at all. But Ced Griffin has said he wants a fresh start and if thats true, I say good bye. Otherwise I think Ced would be an awesome Free Safety.

Then I would let Sherels / Asher / Sapp fight for the dime and depth

Sapp I might just let go since hes a FA and just got arrested, but Im a Sapp fan since he went to UNI where I used to party.

66. By Shawn on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Parody Id like to point out that Im a big believer on improving by strengthening your weakest link … which I dont see as EJ or Robison … so they are safe for now :)

Weakest links IMO … so tough i change my mind a lot between LT / CB and safety

followed by another OL / DB / and DT again this group tough to say which is weaker but its slightly stronger than the weakest links IMO

67. By Shawn on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

then WR

68. By SpenceBelievesInPonder on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Who would you rather trade…Toby or Webb?

69. By GM on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Vikings need to hire KIRBY SMART!!!

70. By Shawn on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

i love lamp

71. By Parody on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Shawn – You’ve been spoiled by watching too much Jared Allen, and it has made you set your standards for starting DEs impossibly high. I just looked up the season sack totals, and including Jared, only 10 DEs were able to score 10 or more sacks. Robison was tied with Campbell (Ari), Vanden Bosch (Det) and Mincey (Jac) as the #18 DE in sacks this year. Every team has 2 starting DEs, making for 64 players to compete with, and we had the #1 and #18. I’d argue that qualifies as a great pair of starters on any team.

Even when mixing all players into the sack comparison, Robison sits at #29. So we still have the #1 and #29 out of 64-sack specialists, assuming every team employs 2-sack specialists on their starting roster.

72. By TITUS on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

If I had to choose between Gerhart and Webb, I would trade Webb.

73. By Frederick Jones on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Where is the DRS?

74. By Frederick Jones on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Who shot DRS?

75. By Parody on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

That’s a tougher question Spence. In such a poor season, it’s tough to pinpoint anyone who could do much to offer a pleasant surprise, especially since I had so much higher expectations of this team.

Gerhart showed that he can handle the starting role as good as most running backs in the league, but I don’t know how much of a pleasant surprise that could be because this team continues to insist that AP will be featured as the primary back, giving him almost all the carries when he’s healthy.

I liked the potential seen from Sherals, but didn’t see enough of him outside of KR duty to justify him earning that title. It is nice to see his kind of value coming from a player we picked up as an undrafted rookie.

So I’d have to say that Webb was the most pleasant surprise. At the end of last year, I wasn’t certain that he could be a successful starter in the NFL, but I was all in favor of giving him the chance to prove it. That was a major factor in my disappointment in our first-round draft selection. Then Webb came in to replace Ponder a couple of times and put up some impressive drives. He was even able to come within a missed penalty (facemask at the end of the game) of coming back from a massive deficit for a win.

Webb has massive value for a 6th-round pick, if only we had a coaching staff that could figure out how to use him to his potential. Unfortunately they’re not creative enough to get him in a successful spot on the starting rotation, and they’ll remain steadfast in their support of Ponder as the #1. So Webb is doomed to being a backup with the Vikings. The best I think we can hope for is a decent trade for Webb so we can improve other weaknesses on the team.

76. By Frederick Jones on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Rick “The Next Jim Finks?” Spielman,

When the Raiders played the Bucs in the Super Bowl, a strong reason for the Bucs defeating the Raiders was that the Raiders center was missing.

Yes, Rich Gannon threw 5 or 6 interceptions in the game.

The Broncos 8-8 beat the Steelers 12-4 in a playoff game this year, largely because the Steelers center was missing. I’m told Roethlesberger (sp) had a lousy game.

RICK…DO YOU UNDERSTAND THIS RELATIONSHIP???

Rick you can be great, if you would just concentrate on the positions we
    need most. SO WHAT IF HE’S NOT THE BEST ATHLETE laugh out loud!!!

77. By Parody on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

FYI – Everson Griffen had half a sack more than Ray Edwards this year! (4 – 3.5)

78. By Frederick Jones on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

@Parody,

I enjoyed your looong post.

Marcus Sherels may prove to be a find at cornerback, if the coaching staff begins to realize that (Yes) smaller athletes can play football.

Someone told me he got beat once, but I never saw it. So he must have done well with the few opportunities they gave him.

79. By Parody on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

But Atlanta’s top-4 sackers collectively were only able to come up one short of Jared Allen’s solo total. That group included 4(?)-Time pro-bowl DE, John Abraham. But he falls short of Shawn’s valid starter list with only 9.5 sacks.

80. By Frederick Jones on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

@Parody,

I can’t really argue with your analysis of Webb either. Because the coaching staff seems to want to give Ponder the job without a battle, it may be tough for Joe Webb.

Legendary teams like the Steelers, Packers, and Cowboys to name three, allowed some competition between QUARTERBACKS.

At the very least they should get to compete in training camp. The advantages are obvious!

81. By Parody on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Agreed Fred. Sherels looks to be a better CB than Allen, and should move ahead of him on next year’s roster. I’m not sold on him being a #2 CB though. He’s good, but his size makes it difficult to contend with the jump ball. I’d love for him to prove me wrong, but I have a feeling that Brandon Burton has a better shot at taking the spot. It seems that the team is sold on Winfield being the #3 (nickel) CB, leaving Sherels as my #4. But we still need a #1, and with Cook in limbo, that means FA and the draft are crucial to solidify the position.

82. By Parody on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Fred – When did the Packers allow competition between QBs? Favre was the starter until he insisted on being traded/released. Then Rogers took over, with what I understand to be no competition from there on. There has been news recently about Flynn bttling him for the spot, but I think that’s just GB management trying to build some PR.

83. By Frederick Jones on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

This was good work by Parody in explaining how you can’t say certain words on here like C h r i s t m a s and C h r i s t and p a s s i n g.

Parody on Jan 7, 2012 | Reply

Just keep it within the Xian realm Shawn – There’s plenty of choices to pick from there:
    Catholic Ponder
    Lutheran Ponder
    Protestant Ponder
    Anglicanist Ponder
    Presbyterian Ponder
    Congregationalist Ponder
    Babtist Ponder
    Brethren Ponder
    Methodist Ponder (can be shortened to Meth Ponder when he throws a pick-6)
    Apostolic Ponder
    Pentacostalic Ponder
    Latter-Day-Saint Ponder
    etc.

84. By Parody on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

I meant to mention earlier that I don’t expect Griffin back next year after learning that he expressed interest in moving on, so that’s why he wasn’t in the consideration for the CB depth chart.

85. By Parody on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Actually, Passing is ok. Pãsses is faux pas. Note the little âsses hidden in there. It’s only bad when you’re talking about multiple sphincters.

86. By Frederick Jones on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

@Parody,

Regarding the Packer QBs: What I am referring to was in the late 50’s and early 60’s when Bart Starr had to compete with Lamar Mchan and another guy named Ferguson. Starr was ranked as the #3 QB in Green Bay for a long time.

But all three men were given opportunities to win the job.

87. By Frederick Jones on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

@Parody,

I am biased when it comes to Marcus Sherels, because I know him and his family.

BUT…

Since when did it become impossible for guys 5’10” to play CB?
    There have been a lot of outstanding CBs even shorter than that in recent years.

88. By Parody on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

It’s not impossible by any means, I just feel that it makes it much less likely. I’d love for Sherels to prove me wrong, especially since I like rooting for local players on the team, (Mauer is a favorite and Birk used to be). But there are a lot of tall receivers to go up against, with some good QBs throwing at them, so I’m worried that will be too much for Sherels to overcome.

89. By Frederick Jones on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

RICK SPIELMAN….

Yes you can find a diamond in the rough in rounds 6 and 7.

But GREAT PLAYERS are more often found in the first two rounds.

Encourage Spielman to draft OLs in the first two rounds or get a BLUE CHIP free agent.

Otherwise the Vikings are doomed to 6-10 or worse again.

90. By Frederick Jones on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

@Parody,

What the Vikings need is some TALL Offensive Linemen who can block, then they won’t have to worry about the tall WRs!!!

91. By Parody on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

It’s been fun Fred, but I have to go buy some books in the morning, so I’m turning in early tonight. Later!

92. By Frederick Jones on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

Yes..I am throwing Spielman under the bus, kicking him when he is down, and etc.

Spielman has the opportunity with all those picks to make himself a hero.
    UNFORTUNATELY his mind set seems to indicate the continuity of mediocrity!!!

93. By Frederick Jones on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

RICK SPIELMAN LOOK AT THIS ONE:

By Shawn on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

NFL Rankings

32nd most sacks allowed = Rams = 2-14 = 30th in passing = 31st in total offense = No Playoffs

31st most sacks allowed = Cardinals = 8-8 = 17th in passing = 19th in total offense = NO PLAYOFFS

30th most sacks allowed = Miami Dolphins = 6-10 = 23rd in passing = 22nd in total offense = NO PLAYOFFS

29th most sacks allowed = Seahawks = 7-9 = 22nd in passing = 28th in total offense = NO PLAYOFFS

28th most sacks allowed = MINNESOTA VIKINGS = 3-13 = 28th in passing = 18th in total offense = NO PLAYOFFS

These 5 teams were separated by 6 sacks total. Seems to me pass protection issues produces issues with winning.

SPIELMAN….WE NEED A BETTER OFFENSIVE LINE!!!

94. By Frederick Jones on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

This was posted by 61Vikings. He says it pretty well, football is indeed played in the trenches:

In there 50+ years of existence, the Vikings have made it to 9 NFC Championship games, most recently, in 2009, that gives Mr.Spielman until about 2014 or 2015 to build a championship caliber team!! Plenty of time to do so, but sooner would be better!! Rebuild the foundation of this team, which is your offense and defensive lines!! If you look at those teams that made it to the NFC Championship games, they all had great offensive and defensive lines!! Let’s go “old school” and back to the days of the great Viking teams of the “70′s and build an outdoor stadium and build a rock solid defense, so we can have an identity to this team, something we haven’t had in a long time!!!!!!!!!

95. By Shawn on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

WOW Parody … You have beaten me with my own tricks. To investigate and call me out for being wrong. LOL good stuff, I will back off Robison. I can admit when Im wrong. Hes a solid LE.

96. By VegasVike on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

Vegas predictions
    Pats by 9
    Ravens by 6
    Packers by 11
    Saints by 13

97. By sandiamond on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

first glance, take the ravens and san fran. that is a lot of points to have in ur pocket playing at home wow

98. By 61vikings on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

I believe rounds 1&2 in the draft should be best player available at the position you need on your team!! Rounds 3-7 is where you need to do your homework and find some gems that can push and compete for a starting job on this team!! This draft maybe one of the most important drafts in Vikings history!! Hopefully, we can look back on this coming draft and free agency and say this is the reason we finally won a championship!! Go Vikes!!!!

99. By 61vikings on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

I’ll take the 49ers at home and 13 points!! Is that right Vegas Mike??
    New England 49-Denver 20
    Baltimore 24- Houston 16
    New Orleans 30- San Francisco 24
    Green Bay 35- NY Giants 23

100. By haedter on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

Joe Webb need to be made into a WR period. He’s fast, has humungous hands, tall, and has huge hops. With his athletic ability, and an entire off season of running routes he could easily slide into the #2 wr spot. So what he wants to be a QB. Frazier needs to tell him tuff @#&$ kid, you will be a super star in 2 years if you play wide reciever!!! This will also give us an oportunity to look elswhere in free agency, and the draft.

101. By Stoney on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

haedter, your right, it couldn’t hurt, and could help a lot!

102. By gubber on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

I see the same people’s names on here every day, time after time after time. One question … You any of you have lives ???

103. By Troutdaddy on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

Troutdaddy predicts that The Pats get upset by a TD and that the Giants pull off the greatest win of 2012 by beating the Packers by a FG in the last few ticks…. Wishful thinking here of course, but I have a feeling that we are in for some shockers this weekend. I think the Giants defense is going to fired up and really going after Rodgers. They have a bone to pick (or break) after losing such a close one earlier on…. Being a true purple-bleeder, I have to root against the Packers…. Nuf said….

104. By Frederick Jones on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

No, JOE Webb is a quarterback!

105. By Viking Joe on Jan 11, 2012 | Reply

Not a very good one !!!

106. By jjkrom on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

I don’t get this QB/WR dilemma with Webb. Just do both well. Ponder is #1 QB and that’s just the way it is.

2. Jan 10, 2012: Greenway To Play In The Pro Bowl | Vikings Territory