Vikings Name Spielman General Manager

Posted by Mike Wobschall on January 3, 2012 – 9:30 am

The Vikings have announced that Rick Spielman has been named General Manager of the team.

“This establishes the organizational structure that will lead to the long term success of the Vikings,” Vikings Owner/Chairman Zygi Wilf said. “Having watched Rick over the years, we have the utmost confidence that he will help us reach our ultimate goal of winning championships.”

Spielman joined the Vikings as Vice President of Player Personnel on May 30, 2006 and has overseen the acquisition of several of the team’s top performers, including new Vikings single-season sack king Jared Allen and a pair of former rookies of the year in Percy Harvin (2009) and Adrian Peterson (2007). During Spielman’s tenure, the Vikings won back-to-back NFC North championships in 2008 and 2009, and advanced to the NFC Championship Game after the 2009 season.

“Rick has proven to be a valuable member of the organization since joining the Vikings in 2006,” Owner/President Mark Wilf said. “With Rick’s and Coach Frazier’s leadership, the Vikings are well-positioned to win next season and beyond.”

Spielman will join Head Coach Leslie Frazier for a press conference on Tuesday at 1:00 p.m. in the Winter Park Field House. The press conference will be streamed live on vikings.com.

Tags: , , , ,
Posted in All | 248 Comments »

248 Responses to “Vikings Name Spielman General Manager”

1. By David P on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Well all of us that wanted a GM got our wish. But leave it up to the most cluele## organization around. The vikings choose a GM that has such an awesome draft record. 3-13 this year, 0-16 next year. There were better choices out there. Now I guess next year the blogs will be full of FIRE THE GM.

2. By Paul Scinocca on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

A step in the right direction would be to bring in someone fresh to the organization…not promote someone who consistently threw draft picks away for 2nd string players.

3. By James_VikingsFanSince1998 on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

You have got to be kidding me. Out of all the GMs we could have interviewed. They just pick RIck right off the spot.. Good gosh.

4. By Parody on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Well, now we’ll all be able to get a good idea of whether the problem was with Spielman, or with the multitude of decision makers. Another failed draft will clarify that Spielman is the problem now that he has been made the sole decision maker. I hope that doesn’t happen, but I don’t have much faith that we’ll be that lucky.

Prove us wrong Rick!

5. By David P on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

FIRE THE GM, FIRE THE GM, FIRE THE GM, FIRE THE GM, FIRE THE GM, FIRE THE GM, FIRE THE GM, FIRE THE GM. Oh boy what a way to start the offseason. Same old BS.

6. By Parody on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

I just wonder what Fred’s opinion is of all this. He has been begging for a single GM all year. Now he has it. Is this good enough? What’s the liklihood it would get better if we signed someone else off the street??

7. By Carl K on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Thanks a lot Frederick Jones!

8. By James_VikingsFanSince1998 on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

After this what’s next. Bill Musgrave gets a contract extension or something. Wilf has no plans in winning a SB anytime soon

9. By David P on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

No after next season Musgrave will be the HC.

10. By Vikingmike on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

A good move, we need some continuity in the organization, I want to congragulate Rick Spielman and wish the Vikings the best of success as they approach this off-season and draft!

11. By David P on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

News alert. The vikings trade their first round pick for two 6th round picks. Rick was asked. I could not decide who the best player in the draft was so I decided since it is a rebuilding year why not get more than one draft pick. CLUELE## CLUELE##

12. By Mike B. on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Fire Spielman Fire Spielman darn this s u c k s

13. By Carl K on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

More of the same! More old free agents and poor drafting! Nice.

If we signed someone off the street… the odds are things couldn’t get much worse than where Speilman has us today.

14. By James_VikingsFanSince1998 on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

THIS JUST IN!!! The Vikings give up 1st round picks from the 2012 and 2013 draft for Chad Ochocinco. The Vikings have also signed Terrell Owens to a 10 million 3-Yr Contract.

15. By Immureglass on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

So aside from J. Allen, A.P., and Percy. What else has Rick brought to the table. If the game of football was played with three people per team then I would say Rick great job but its not. But like Parody said Now its time to see if the problem was just Ricks fault or if it was just a case of to many cooks in the kitchen as the saying goes.

16. By Mike Wobschall on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Don’t quite understand those who are being critical of Rick’s drafts. He used picks to acquire Jared Allen, which was a good move. He is 2nd in the NFL in sacks since being traded here. He drafted a pair of rookies of the year in Adrian and Percy. Guys like Brian Robison, Everson Griffen and Christian Ballard are good mid-round picks. Shiancoe was a productive free agent signing up until this year. Looks like Kyle Rudolph will be a good pick, Sid Rice was a good 2nd rounder before he chose to leave for Seattle. Sullivan was a 6th rounder who is now the starting center and was the starting center when we were 12-4 and played in the NFC title game.

Not every pick has been great, but no one is perfect in the draft. This is a good move for the Vikings, it gives the organization a NFL-standard structure, and it puts an experienced personnel guy with college and pro scouting experience at the top of the football food chain.

I’m excited about this move, and I think Vikings fans should be, too. If you’re not excited, that’s okay. But I think you need to give him a chance before you write it off as a bad move.

17. By BC on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Well, after thirteen seasons of having season tickets, the Vikings have finally done something that’s made me want to give up my tickets and become a Chiefs fan.

Spielman is the problem with this team. The team whose name I dare not mention won the Superbowl last year because they had depth on the roster to fill in for the starters when they got hurt. The Vikings have no depth, and little talent on the roster. That is EXACTLY the Vice-President of Player Personnel’s responsibility.

Think about the Vikings without Jared Allen, Chad Greenway, Antoine Winfield, Adrian Peterson and Percy Harvin. The rest of the team is basically a UFL roster.

I have a lot of thinking to do, as this have made me waiver in my support of a new stadium. I was all-in for public funding, tax increases, whatever it would take to get a new stadium in Arden Hills. With Spielman in charge, I don’t know if I want to be associated with this franchise anymore.

18. By Carl K on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Those picks are no brainers! Anybody could get those right! Are you kidding me!
    Who else has been cooking???????
    We need Sonja in the kitchen.

19. By jeremy on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

The Vikes org. seem like they can never look out of the box.

20. By James_VikingsFanSince1998 on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Oh please. Sidney only had one good season and that’s thanks to Brett Favre. Rice can’t even find a starting spot in Seattle. Brian Robison is mediocre. Jared Allen is getting triple teamed by the O-Line and TE’s but Robison, K. Williams, nor the NT can find ways to get to the QB. Without Jared Allen our D-Line would be nothing. Peterson and Harvin are only reason he still has a job probably.

21. By Viking ROAR on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Does anyone see that the Vikings have the best running game, combined w/multiple sets, in the NFL? Frankly, the play calling in 2011, along w/the penalties (another coaching deficit) was dismal at best.

22. By Mike Wobschall on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Carl K – No brainers? Then why did 6 teams pass on Adrian and 21 teams pass on Harvin? If it was such a no-brainer, then you’d think those guys wouldn’t have been available that late, right?

23. By vikingbob136 on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Hire Bill Polian!!!!! A proven winner

24. By James_VikingsFanSince1998 on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Why did they pass up on Peterson? Calvin Johnson and Joe Thomas. And JaMarcus Russell was suppose to be the next big thing for Oakland but we know had that turned out. I don’t think any of those teams were in desperate need for a QB.

As for Percy Harvin. Let’s see who was ahead of him. Matthew Stanford, Mark Sanchez, Darrius Heyward-Bey, B. J. Raji, Michael Crabtree, Brian Cushing, Malcom Jenkins, Brandon Pettigrew, Alex Mack. As you can see. Harvin wasn’t the most must have player out of this bunch of talented men.

25. By Carl K on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

I will give him full credit for those guy falling in his lap… and I will wash his hands clean of the fact that the Vikings have lost more games than they have won under his leadership.
    My bad! I am done!

26. By Mike B. on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

@Mike W we need someone to come from the outside and fix issues with the team. It’s hard to be objective when you are in a failing organization. Our secondary has been weak for years and not addressed. Spielman is not the answer for this position. We really needed someone outside to come in an fix a sinking ship. You get no support here.

27. By Mike B. on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

@Jeremy that’s the key exactly need someone from outside to come in and repair issues within.

28. By Justin F on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Guys, you should realise that the Vikings promoted Spielman only to save money. Zygi has stadium woes, Childress’s contract, AND paying Frazier. He will not pay more to bring a outside figure like Bill Parcells in. It’s all business, whether you like it or not.

I have mixed feelings too about this. Spielman isn’t the most consistent Draft picker that we’ve ever seen.

29. By Bad Move on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Vikings STR8 SUCK plain and simple

30. By greatirishpotatofamine on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

spielman assembled a 6-10 football team, that went 3-13 the following season. that is likely to go 1-15 next year. spielman needs to go, ridiculous promotion for a guy who didnt deserve it

31. By Bad Move on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Vikings STR8 SUCK plain and simple!!!!!

32. By Mike B. on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Maybe the issue is the Wilfs need to get out of football if they can’t finance the team properly. Sell it to a group with more football sense.

33. By NDPurple on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Mike B.-
    While not excited about the announcement, I do not quite understand the secondary comments. They have drafted in the last few years- Cedric Griffen (who hopefully is rounding back into form after 2 tough rehabs), Chris Cook (yes, I know there are character issues there), Tyrell Johnson (a bust), Jamarca Sanford (I think he has potential if he continues to grow), Mistral Raymond, Sherels (FA?) Burton. There are probably more there that I have missed from the last 5 years. I think the secondary problem is a coaching issue. We need to go get Spags now that he was let go in St. Louis.

34. By Northern Norsemen on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

@Mike Wobschall

Fan here! Think you have done a great job and its been great to see you mature in your work through the years.

On Rick Speilman, I couldn’t be happier with this move. He is very talented in his profession.

Who is to say he is bad or great? This is the first time someone will be grabbing full reins behind the franchise horse. Let’s see this all mature before we all get excited and get shrouded with doubt.

I personally think he will do great. Let us play this out.

Absolutely excited! Congrats Rick!

35. By Mike B. on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

The salary of coaches are not part of the cap, so shouldn’t be an issue when making football decisions. Fire bad coaches and personel reguardless of cost of paying off contract. Get the right personel in.

36. By NDPurple on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Point I was trying to make is that it seems like they are always drafting secondary players-all of these players cannot be as bad as their on-the-field performances show. Forgot to mention SS from Cincy that was released after last season-he did nothing here either. Need to address the coaching problems in the secondary/defensive coordinator positions.

37. By tzwickey on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

This is going to turn out like Matt Millen running the lions and will be many years until the Wilf’s figure out he is a disaster! He left the Dolphins in shambles and now has done the same here and he gets a promotion?

38. By Immureglass on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Ok I’ll retract a little bit of my last post seeing how we still have to wait and see how well Ponder, Webb, Griffin, Ballard, Rudolph, Gerhart, ect. all develop. Some of those players have shown promise.

39. By animal26 on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Mike W. I’m reminded of an old saying. Even a blind squirrel will eventually find a nut. AP and Percy where those nuts. Jarad Allen was a good move also, but come on man. Since Rick has been here, the drafts the vikings have had have been below average at best. Sully, Brian Robinson, Sidney, these guys are busts/average at best and the mess of bringing in butterfingers berrian? These guys are overrated. James_VikingsFanSince1998 and Carl K. are right. If Spielman is so good with drafts, then why have the vikings been a complete joke in pass coverage for the past 4-5 years? The Vikings should have waited to see if a top notch GM would have been available, but instead they settled.

40. By Mike B. on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

The secondary has always been a work in progress for several years now. They always say there is potential in this player or that player. Cook had been a bust till this year, but still had tackling issues in the middle. Asher Allen is a bust. Sanford has flashes but not consistant. Sherels is a special teams player. Griffen will probably request a trade after his benching. He was not happy about that. He may or may not come back no fault there injuries happen. If I add in the moves at OL this year it is a lot worse. Terrible is all I can say. NT on Defs I can continue No field streching WR to replace Rice. They hire Spielman come on they needed someone from outside to fix this team inside they don’t have a clue and the reporters have been saying this for months.

41. By Mike B. on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Oh I forgot M Williams they brought in and was a bust.

42. By Carl on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Well now we some one thats accountible. Rick you need to land at the least three top free agents for these positions. WR,OG,SS,CB. I would say OG,CB,SS,WR like that then use the draft to fill in around those four core players and Jared Allen, Kevin Williams, Antoine Winfield and some of our other young talent on the squad. We have some pieces but we need to aquire more pieces in F/A the four positions above then draft OT,2 CB’s, WR, FS, DT. This will build a nucleous we need some one get this to Speilman i dont mind helping him.

43. By Viking33 on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

@ Carl – I couldn’t agree more – accountability is a good thing and so is time. Take it easy Linch Mob, this is a good move. We are rebuilding our team, lets see what happens before we build the bonfire. I think we have a good talented skill player core to build around on offense, we just need to fill in the blanks ( LT – RT ) – We need more talent at Defense and Playmakers there for sure ( DB – LD – DL ) – And get a SUPER PUNTER!!

44. By purpleman527 on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

I don’t like to dump on people, but promoting Spielman makes no sense, after a 3-13 season, and trading for a total bust in McNabb.

Longwell and Cook should be cut today, to show the team that it will not tolerate stupid mistakes and off the field antics. This team has NO sense of winning and shows NO desire to win.

God help us.

45. By TBurbs on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

A step in the right direction. No one person can be responsible for the past personal issues meaning it is not the doing of Spielman… Good Luck Rick and PS Matt Kalil might be a good way to start!!!!

46. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

WOW. While I believe much of the criticism of Spielman is unjustified (he brought in some very good players), I wonder how this will play out in creating a decisive, strong leader to oversee the organization. This seems on the surface to be an errant move, but I will give it a chance. It can be very difficult to be promoted over your peers and establish the authority required to make the GM position work as it is designed in the NFL. I hope I am wrong, but I believe this move was suspect. Wilfs, what are you thinking? You have the money– bring in the big guns– get a proven winner/former head coach.

47. By David P on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Rick has proven nothing except that his draft picks are lousy. A few gems but mainly busts. I guess after next year the owners will finally realize that the staff needs to be revamped. THE HOUSE NEEDS CLEANING. Get a clue. 0-16 or 1-15. I see it coming. Bad teams always find ways to stay bad. This move just seals it.

48. By Northern Norsemen on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

2012 NFL DRAFT!!!

Hear me out folks! This is what I think should be done with our draft situation. I would like to hear your opinions out there.

Let us say that no matter what, regardless of who is selecting at #1 will be Andrew Luck.

The next 4 best prospects are (no particular order) WR Justin Blackmon, OT Matt Kalil, CB Morris Claiborn, RB Trent Richardson.

I am a huge fan of taking the best available prospect. Since they are all legit stars in their own right we now have the luxury of not only get best available player while filling a hole.

My position (by need) rankings

So between those best available I would rank them in order of who to take at #3

1. OT Matt Kalil
    2. CB Morris Claiborn
    3. WR Justin Blackmon
    4.Trent Richardson

Rank Review

I stand by Trent Richardson being one of the top prospects but I do not believe the Vikings will select, in any way, a RB at #3. So that kicks Richardson out.

WR Justin Blackmon is the flashy selection here that would definitely help out a lot. By no means would I be upset if the Vikings select Blackmon but there is Floyd and Jeffery (being right up there with Blackmon, not quite as good, but are very capable WR stars). Vikings could trade down, acquire more draft selections, and still grab a very good WR. So basically I would rather take someone like Floyd with more draft selections than just getting Blackmon himself.

CB Morris Claiborn is a lock down athletic rangy corner that will excel in the NFL. Again I would by no means be upset if the Vikings drafted Morris Claiborn. I would actually be excited but CB Dre Kirkpatrick (Alabama) is right up there and just about as good. Kirkpatrick may even fit the Vikings defensive scheme even better than Claiborn. So basically here I would rather trade down, obtain more draft selections, and take a CB like Kirkpatrick than just getting Claiborn himself.

Finally we have OT Matt Kalil. Not many OTs come at the caliber that Kalil does. Players like him are simply not found in free-agency, late in the draft, or as a camp walk-in. With a major hole being on the offensive line OT Matt Kalil should be without a doubt the first player that the Vikings should target. Move Charlie Johnson to RG and here you hard taking out two birds with one stone. He is someone that can seal a position down for over a decade. Not flashy like Claiborn or Blackmon but is a vital piece to the puzzle that this team desperately needs.

Bottom line

If the Vikings are not able to obtain the draft rights to OT Matt Kalil TRADE DOWN. Again I would not be upset in any way if the Vikings then drafted Blackmon or Claiborn but we can get a player very similar of caliber prospects down the draft while obtaining more draft selection to fill other holes this team needs to fill. That is the way to maximize the draft to help out the Vikings as much as possible.

When all is said and done the Vikings need to do one thing. HIT THE HOME RUN on draft selections. Regardless of what position. As long as the Vikings get a player that can contribute to success in every round, REGARDLESS OF POSITION, then the teams success will drastically turn around.

Give me your thoughts on the Vikings draft situation.

49. By Nordsman on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Anything that reeks of stability in the franchise is good. This is a good move. the depleted secondary can hardly be blamed on the GM or the coach. I think the key to this poor season was the inability of Donovan McNabb to provide the tutelage needed to build for the future.

50. By chris on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

great move hiring speilam as a general manager. be prepared for another losing season 0 and 16. itll be 20 years before we go to a superbowl, this just straight up sucks. rick speilman is responsible for 3 of the most losing seasons. 1 0 and 15 with the miami dolphins and 2 with the vikings, probably more to come with this genius. out of all players he picks up 2 from 2009 because he doesnt know anything about the game, except the phrase we have to pick the best available. he wouldnt know the best player if he was right under his nose. stupid move and even dumber hiring frazier. im sure not just us fans but the players are tired of hearing the weekly, well im excited but im dissapointed tough loss speech. its getting old. musgrave seemed to fail us also our o line sucks and our defense sucks the only players worth keeping are allen winfield peterson and some others. its time to rebuild and stop with the losses. because of our coaching staff and orginazation, our team has become one of the biggest laughingstocks in the nfl

51. By OTKalil2012 on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Thank you Zygi !!!…Congrats Spielman !!…Finally the right person is making the decisions on the players to draft…And or veteran players coming in via free agencyNo more over spending on free agent over the hill players !!…Frazier can coach and ONLY coach…Spielman can bring in players for him to coach…Remember fans..It was Frazier who brought in McNobody to this team in the off season and kept Berrian the blunder on this roster long past his welcome…Not Spielman…All Frazier has been chirping about all season is…Frazier just wants to worry about winning the up coming Sunday game…He was down playing worring the Vikings future all season long…He only wants to win next Sundays game…And Frazier is right…His job should be just coaching and winning games with the players on his roster picked by the GM…

Now lets give Spielman a shot of getting the players needed…Head coaches should only be making recommendations of players needed to make the team better on draft day….Spielman should be making all the quick decisions for any trades up or down on draft day…Or any hiring or firings of veteran players in the off season or during the season…This is going to be a good move…Because even if Spielman ends up failing…At least Zygi realizes the GM position needs to be a part of the system moving forward for the Vikings organization…That is HUGE !!!

52. By hognuts on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

I agree with your draft situation

53. By hognuts on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Northern Norsemen is who i agree with

54. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Fred Jones????

55. By sandiamond on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Lol Titus, fred got about 1/2 of what he wanted

56. By DuaneN on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

The move makes sense since Frazier is staying. An outside the organization GM would have wanted his own coach.

57. By Mike B. on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

You realized our record this year is tied with the worse ever and add in last year’s disaster and some of you are saying this is a good thing. Argh we will likely be worse next year too. This is the wrong move and I don’t see us getting better anytime soon. But we will see as usual and I will apologize if I am wrong. I don’t think so though.

58. By Dionte on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

I mean at least they hear us and decided to make GM . Even though its not who we wanted they at least know we needed one . Hopefully the rumors are true and Pagac is next . I will not watch another game if we continue to play cover 2

59. By Roninmn.. on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

@northern norsemen. you hit the nail right on the head with player selection. my concern at this point is who is in charge of player personal.

60. By Dionte on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Is there a way we can get in contact with Rick Spielman? I will e-mail him everyday and tell him what to do in the draft until April lol

61. By DuaneN on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

There is some good news. Supercross starts next Saturday.

MN native Ryan Dungey trying to get the #1 plate back. He isn’t the fastest but he’s the most consistent.

62. By ohiovikesfan on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

WITHOUT A DOUBT THE WORST DECISION THE VIKINGS HAVE MADE!!!!! FIRE SPIELMAN!!!!!

63. By Immureglass on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

I have to admit maybe be too critical about Spielman was the wrong thing to do. You got remember not all of the Vikings problems where his fault. Remember Chilly had the final say on who was gonna be apart of this team and we don’t what was said behind closed doors. Lets see how well those who were drafted last year develop. And wait and see what he does in FA and in the draft. But remember Rick all of our eyes are you now so don’t blow your opportunity.

64. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Give the man a chance.

65. By TheRealDon on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

CB Morris Claiborn or trade back..

66. By Bigfan1 on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

I’d say forget about trading down or up and just take what’s available unless another team gives up next years first round pick, but we really can’t afford to gamble we need good players.

67. By TheRealDon on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Morris Claiborn with Chris Cook will be great..

68. By sandiamond on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Wow! the media hammering away….

69. By Shawn on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Carl K … you made me LOL with your ” Thanks a lot Frederick ” post :)

David P … you made me LOL with your ” Fire GM ” post :)

Titus Im with you lets give it a chance. Spielman will now be the hero or the villain. As fans we no longer have to wonder who made the stupid decision. Its all on Spielman now and Frazier can focus on X’s and O’s.

70. By thatissomeBS on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

WHERE IS FREDERICK JONES??? WHERE IS FREDERICK JONES??? WHERE IS FREDERICK JONES??? WHERE IS FREDERICK JONES??? WHERE IS FREDERICK JONES??? WHERE IS FREDERICK JONES??? WHERE IS FREDERICK JONES??? WHERE IS FREDERICK JONES??? WHERE IS FREDERICK JONES??? WHERE IS FREDERICK JONES??? WHERE IS FREDERICK JONES??? WHERE IS FREDERICK JONES??? WHERE IS FREDERICK JONES??? WHERE IS FREDERICK JONES??? WHERE IS FREDERICK JONES??? WHERE IS FREDERICK JONES??? WHERE IS FREDERICK JONES??? WHERE IS FREDERICK JONES??? WHERE IS FREDERICK JONES??? WHERE IS FREDERICK JONES??? WHERE IS FREDERICK JONES??? WHERE IS FREDERICK JONES??? WHERE IS FREDERICK JONES??? WHERE IS FREDERICK JONES??? WHERE IS FREDERICK JONES??? WHERE IS FREDERICK JONES??? WHERE IS FREDERICK JONES??? WHERE IS FREDERICK JONES??? WHERE IS FREDERICK JONES??? WHERE IS FREDERICK JONES??? WHERE IS FREDERICK JONES??? WHERE IS FREDERICK JONES???
    WHERE IS FREDERICK JONES??? WHERE IS FREDERICK JONES???

I guess he must be happy now.

71. By Northern Norseman on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

How hilarious is it to watch people before the press starts and the camera is still rolling?!?! People are just standing right in front of the camera, others are joking, and just the random stuff that happens on camera before the interview process starts. Ha its good stuff.

72. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

FREDERICK JONES++++ WHAT WILL YOU BLOG NOW??? FREDERICK JONES< OUT OF BLOGGING IN 2012???? -+++++ FREDERICK JONES++ WHAT WILL YOU SCREAM ABOUT NOW??? FREDERICK JONES++++ WHAT WILL YOU BLOG NOW??? FREDERICK JONES< OUT OF BLOGGING IN 2012???? -+++++ FREDERICK JONES++ WHAT WILL YOU SCREAM ABOUT NOW??? FREDERICK JONES++++ WHAT WILL YOU BLOG NOW??? FREDERICK JONES< OUT OF BLOGGING IN 2012???? -+++++ FREDERICK JONES++ WHAT WILL YOU SCREAM ABOUT NOW??? FREDERICK JONES++++ WHAT WILL YOU BLOG NOW??? FREDERICK JONES< OUT OF BLOGGING IN 2012???? -+++++ FREDERICK JONES++ WHAT WILL YOU SCREAM ABOUT NOW??? FREDERICK JONES++++ WHAT WILL YOU BLOG NOW??? FREDERICK JONES< OUT OF BLOGGING IN 2012???? -+++++ FREDERICK JONES++ WHAT WILL YOU SCREAM ABOUT NOW??? FREDERICK JONES++++ WHAT WILL YOU BLOG NOW??? FREDERICK JONES< OUT OF BLOGGING IN 2012???? -+++++ FREDERICK JONES++ WHAT WILL YOU SCREAM ABOUT NOW??? FREDERICK JONES++++ WHAT WILL YOU BLOG NOW??? FREDERICK JONES< OUT OF BLOGGING IN 2012???? -+++++ FREDERICK JONES++ WHAT WILL YOU SCREAM ABOUT NOW??? FREDERICK JONES++++ WHAT WILL YOU BLOG NOW??? FREDERICK JONES< OUT OF BLOGGING IN 2012???? -+++++ FREDERICK JONES++ WHAT WILL YOU SCREAM ABOUT NOW??? FREDERICK JONES++++ WHAT WILL YOU BLOG NOW??? FREDERICK JONES< OUT OF BLOGGING IN 2012???? -+++++ FREDERICK JONES++ WHAT WILL YOU SCREAM ABOUT NOW??? FREDERICK JONES++++ WHAT WILL YOU BLOG NOW??? FREDERICK JONES< OUT OF BLOGGING IN 2012???? -+++++ FREDERICK JONES++ WHAT WILL YOU SCREAM ABOUT NOW??? FREDERICK JONES++++ WHAT WILL YOU BLOG NOW??? FREDERICK JONES< OUT OF BLOGGING IN 2012???? -+++++ FREDERICK JONES++ WHAT WILL YOU SCREAM ABOUT NOW??? FREDERICK JONES++++ WHAT WILL YOU BLOG NOW??? FREDERICK JONES< OUT OF BLOGGING IN 2012???? -+++++ FREDERICK JONES++ WHAT WILL YOU SCREAM ABOUT NOW??? FREDERICK JONES++++ WHAT WILL YOU BLOG NOW??? FREDERICK JONES< OUT OF BLOGGING IN 2012???? -+++++ FREDERICK JONES++ WHAT WILL YOU SCREAM ABOUT NOW??? FREDERICK JONES++++ WHAT WILL YOU BLOG NOW??? FREDERICK JONES< OUT OF BLOGGING IN 2012???? -+++++ FREDERICK JONES++ WHAT WILL YOU SCREAM ABOUT NOW??? FREDERICK JONES++++ WHAT WILL YOU BLOG NOW??? FREDERICK JONES< OUT OF BLOGGING IN 2012???? -+++++ FREDERICK JONES++ WHAT WILL YOU SCREAM ABOUT NOW??? FREDERICK JONES++++ WHAT WILL YOU BLOG NOW??? FREDERICK JONES< OUT OF BLOGGING IN 2012???? -+++++ FREDERICK JONES++ WHAT WILL YOU SCREAM ABOUT NOW???

73. By Vikingsfool on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

There are some real freakin immature fans here, wow. Yeah speilman stinks for bringing in AP, Harvin, Greenway, Prospects like Rudolph, the part he played in the Allen trade. Boy what a bad track record. You bafoons.

74. By Vikingsfool on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Touche Titus!

75. By OTKalil2012 on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

If R Griffen III is still on board with the 3 rd pick coming up for the Vikings…I think the only way a team gets by with only giving the Vikings 2 draft picks to get RG III…Is the Browns…They have the 4th pick in round 1…And the 23 ?…pick in the first round this spring…Any other team can expect to pay 2 first rounders one 2011 and one 2012…and their second round pick 2011 also….Contracts for high draft picks are cheap…And do not hurt teams cap space like in years past…Teams will be much more giving of draft selections because of that….Vikings 3 rd pick is worth its weight in gold for this springs draft…Expect a kings ransom if teams want to get Griffen if still on the board when the Vikings pick this spring…

76. By Shawn on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

did i miss the presser?

77. By Vikingsfool on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

My impression of a Vikings Fan after a Superbowl Win. “The Quarterback held the darn trophy the wrong way and the coach didn’t smile big enough, I’m so sick of this organization….ARRR RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE. Fire everyone and rebuild the way we say you should because getting fat in an armchair makes us football gurus!!!!RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE”. Sometimes I’m embarassed by our fans.

78. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Yeah, Spielman brought in some pretty good players. I just wonder why there has not been more emphasis on the O Line. We need to give the man a chance, though. Everyone here is way too critical. How many of you have tried to get a position that you believe you could do if given a chance, but others pre-judged your abilities? Spielman is a capable person– give him a chance. Way too early to know how he will do. MN fans are like paper in the wind–follow whatever the elements push them to believe. Last season– oh, we love Frazier, great move. A season later– oh, we hate Frazier, fire him. Now, its oh, Spielman, what a mistake. In a year, it will be– oh, Spielman, what a genius.

79. By Vikingsfool on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

I mean get real people. Spielman was being praised for his part in the franchise just two years ago. This is just Un freakin real. No wonder the Vikings stink, it’s bad fan karma from the football gods.

80. By Frederick Jones on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

@Carl K.,

I never suggested Rich “Hollywood” Speilman for the General Manager job!

There are some good things about this, as well as the bad.

First…We pretty much know for sure who didn’t obtain offensive linemen and defensive backs this time.

Second…We can INTENSELY DEMAND that Spielman draft/trade/use free agency for these people.

Third…MAYBE now Leslie Frazier will be more involved in the selection of players.
    It would seem that Frazier would have done a better job selecting DBs!!!

Fourth…Someone is in charge. I would prefer some of our veteran bloggers like
    Titus, Shawn, Parody, Nova, Carl K., Vegas Vike, etc., but maybe we can give
    Spielman some guidance, and he may need some.

There is room for repetitive spamming again!!!

81. By Vikingsfool on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Once again Titus, Touche!!!

82. By Vikingsfool on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

The vikings should have fired Bud Grant for not winning a superbowl, just like they should have fired Chris Carter for not making the HOF yet. Then they should have fired the entire 98 and 09 roster. Then they should have re-fired Bud Grant after the steckle debaucle since he didnt get the superbowl again. Good Greif ONE WORD SUMS IT UP STOOOOOOOOPID.

83. By David P on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

I will give him a chance and I will try to stay positive. But with his tracj record he will draft a LB or a TE instead of filling some of theholes on this team. I would recommend trading the 3rd pick for draft picks this year and next. Cleveland could use RG3 and so could Miami. If he is there at the 3rd pcik trade down and get several draft picks for that 3rd pick. But I have a bad feeling that the vikes will be in the same place in 2013 as they are now. Bad teams always fiind wasy to stay bad. Just ask Cleveland.

84. By Parody on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Titus – I think part of that is, for the most part, many of the people who come in here only do so when they want to scream, (outside of the regulars). So you end up getting a lot of people complaining no matter what’s going on.

I was one of the people happy that Frazier was signed as the head coach, and although my opinions of him have changed a bit over the last few months, I by no means am ready to switch sides yet. But I see myself as a much more understanding and patient person than many other bloggers. Frazier could still be a big bust, but I don’t believe that to be anything close to a guarantee at this point.

85. By Rudso on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

I may not know EVERYTHING about Spielman, but he has brought in some good players in our early rounds. Not to mention 2 offensive rookie of the year winners in the past 5 years. I much rather score on the early picks than find gems in late rounds and busts in the early rounds.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Spielman goes with Blackmon (hopefully this happens only if Kalil is gone) and he wins the rookie of the year award.

86. By Vikingsfool on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Dave, your trying to stay positive….by being negative…..? Classic Vikings Fan you are.

87. By Rudso on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

David, what track record are you not happy with from Spielman?

88. By Vikingsfool on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

I think he’s not happy with the fact that the fan’s didn’t get to hand pick the GM. The Vikes should change thier name to the heat so it at least makes sense when the fans chant FIRE FIRE FIRE at everygame.

89. By Vikingsfool on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

or the new york fire departement could hire some Minnesota Vikings fans to be the new sirens. When the truck comes down the street they can chant (you guessed it), FIRE FIRE FIRE.

90. By Saddy on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Draft Kallil 1st option / Blackmon 2nd option / Morris Claiborne 3rd option

(Or)

Trade your picks and pick up Jonathan Martin and Janoris Jenkins in 1st round

91. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Apparently from most of the comments, people have the impression that EVERY SINGLE draft pick in the NFL other than the Vikings has instantly become MVP the moment they stepped on the field, none of them have ever been busts. Spielman has quite a job to match the perfect production of every other team in the NFL

92. By Vikingsfool on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

No no no I’ve got it. The vikings should have hired Donald Trump as the new GM because all the fans want to hear is “YOU ARE FIRED”.

93. By David P on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Vikingsfool, look at what Rick did as GM in Miami. You can try to paint it however you like. But if previous history has anything to do with it Rick will do to the vikings what he did to Miami. I want to be positive but the fact are the facts. If Rick proves me wrong I will be the first to admit it and if I am right I will still be a vikings fan and hope that the things can be fixed. I also beleive that as a GM or a VP of player personnel you need to show that you can draft more than 5 players in 4 years. A GOOD GM will get more that 5 players and also will have a team that had depth. Reality is always 20/20.

94. By Parody on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

The biggest knock on Spielman I see is that he seems to always be swinging for the home run (yea, I know, analogy is a completely different sport…). Sometimes he gets the hit, and other times he whiffs big time. AP, Allen and Harvin were all homerun hits. Griffen still could be, but I’m having trouble seeing how he fits into this team beyond kick coverage/backup roles. Cook was looking like another homerun, but then the wind blew a strong gust back towards home plate and it’s looking limore like a pop fly now…

I’m still not sure what the plan is for Gerhart. He is too good of a player to be a backup to AP, ad yet we traded up to get him. Plus, we took Ponder with the 12th pick even though he was likely to slip into the 2nd round, we already had a young guy with potential at the position, and there were players available who were more likely to fill in some of the bigger holes we had on the team. It is questionable moves like that which make me skeptical about Spielman as our GM.

95. By Spence on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Fred WHAT WiLL YOU SAY NOW?????????

96. By Vikingsfool on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Yeah Dave. He was vp of personell, not GM. How about a lets wait and see attitude than writing him off instantly. Only half a**ed fans do that. Real true football fans will tell you that the NFL is full of characters that grew to legends by trial and error.

97. By Vikingsfool on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Well I’m done trying to state something that is in danger of being a thought out opinion (rather than the Rash counterparts which run rampant in here). See you bafoons later.

98. By Spence on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

^ Then leave…we dont like you anyways.

99. By Derrick.G on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

I just threw up in my mouth a little…

100. By David P on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

He was GM for the dolphins when they went 1-15. His selecting of players in the draft for the vikings woth the exception of the first two rounds has been awful. I rememer in one of the drafts he was so slow in choosing that the vikings missed their pick. I will give him a chance but like one of the earlier bloggers stated. A blind squirrel will sometime find a nut. I want hime to prove me wrong becasue I want to see the vikings win a SB before I am dead, but I am going going to hold my breath. I also beleive that the vikings should make all the decisions ut when they do not work out the vikings need to admit it. The reason why fans are so disappointed that noone in the vikings organization takes any responsibility for the perfromace of this team, the lack of depth or the inability of the coaches to coach. Once those areas are fixewd then maybe the fans would be more forgiving for a bad game or a bad draft choice but this organization is CLUELE##.

101. By Spence on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Preach David, preach.

102. By David P on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

I also need spell check on my PC. See I have admitted to my mispellings. Now see who(vikings org) admits when something they did did not work.

103. By David P on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

NFL.com summed it up the best. Is this promotion done to clear up the structure of the vikings front office or wall paper dressing? Only time will tell.

104. By Rudso on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Parody, would you prefer Spielman to not swing for the home run and play it safe with decent 2nd string players all around?

You can’t expect a HOF in the first round, starters in rounds 2-5, and debt for the remaining rounds every draft. Show me a team out there that scored on at least HALF of their picks last draft.

105. By VegasVike on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Thanks for the props Frederick!

106. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Vikingsfool is actually one of the more rational ones here. I like his thinking.

107. By VegasVike on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Who’s responsible for drafting Joe Webb in what? The sixth round? I think everyone who blogs here is a fan of JW in some fashion? Who ever had the insight to grab him that late should be complemented.

108. By David S. on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Yikes!!!!

Give the man a chance people!!!!!!!!

Enough said!!

Skol Vikings!!

109. By tommy b on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Do the wilfs think at all before they hire someone ? Speilman and frazier are not your super bowl winning combo. You want to win ? get out the checkbook and hire a coach with some creds and some players that arnt B squad wanna be’s….This was the most embarassing year since les steckle and you promote one of the guys responsible for it and keep your coach…..I’ve bled purple my whole life and I am about bled out….Powers was right these guys are a bunch of boobs……

110. By David S. on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Mr. Spielman..

Get’R done!!
    :-) :-)

111. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Wilfs do not know what they are doing? They are billionaires. Are any of the bloggers? NUFF SAID.

112. By Brad on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Give the guy a chance before downgrading him. Maybe no one else wanted the job and did not apply for it. Who knows. Lets wait and see how he does then criticize him. For me I am looking forward to the future of the team. Good luck Rick.

113. By Havoc2wrath on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Bad Move, again.

114. By Martin on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

I rather have Spielman then coach Frazier at this time. Dont forget that the coaches responsibility is to mold the team, to make right what is wrong.

The strongest link is always messured by the weakest link

If you are the coach you beleive you are Frazier, then slow down take a look and make the hard choices that will one day make you.

Viking

115. By VikingFan on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

THIS IS JUST THE BEGINING OF DUMB DECESIONS THAT ARE GOING TO BE MADE BY THE ORGINIZATION. THIS IS GOING TO RUIN US FOR SURE WHAT AN BONE HEADED DECESION!!!!!!!!!

116. By VikingFan on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

IT SEEMS LIKE WE JUST GET LAZY AND DONT INTERVIEW ANYONE JUST PROMOTE WHOEVER WAS THERE. COME ON

117. By Brad on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

I am willing to give him a chance. It is his job to keep. Let’s see what he does. I am a life long Vikings fan and will stick with them until they get back on the winning track. I hope Spielman does the job. I ache for a Vikings Super Bowl.

118. By Mnsolider on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

I usually do not post on here, i just enjoy looking into the minds of my fellow fans. Usually what i read is funny, sometimes educated… But most of the time what i see is a bunch of whining from half @ssed fans. Rick has done nothing but good for this organization. Led the trade for jared…22 sacks….seems like he is producing…sidney..big target while we had him…Percy stole him in the first when no one wanted him because of the drug test… Adrian had the collarbone issue. Rudolph who will be an impact player ..hamstring. Seems like he knows talent when he sees it. Everson griffen is a freak athlete that is a gunner on punts for chr!st sakes…Joe webb enough said. Seems like ever since he has joined the organization there has been an influx of talent …as apposed to just drafting for positional needs and hoping they work out.. they take the best players at that giving time. Having a gm is infinitely greater than having 6 or 7 vps… atleast this way the team will go one direction instead of 6. Build the team. Build the stadium. I will be cheering , not crying like the rest.

119. By NovaScotiaVike on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

I have tried to look at this scientifically, pouring years of hard data into state-of-the-art computers, and after careful analysis of all the available information,the letters in Rick Spielman can also spell “Pelican Smirk”.

120. By NovaScotiaVike on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Also “Manlier Picks” !

121. By Mike B. on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Fire Spielman

122. By Shawn on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Dear Mr. Spielman,

2 words …. Tyvon Branch

123. By Shawn on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Dear Zygi ,

I was looking for highlights on youtube. I couldnt find any Viking DB highlight clips. There were a couple of 1 play clips but no “highlight” video. Antoine Winfield has some but hes old and the smallest MLB playing corner in the NFL.

Tyvon Branch 25 years old Strong Safety from the Raiders. This guy hasnt hit his prime yet and hes a free agent.

GIT R DONE

124. By mr smiff on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

ZYGI!!!! THIS WAS NOT WHAT I HAD IN MIND!!!!

125. By pltsgt on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

As a G.B. Packers fan I agree with Zigie !! Its a Great move

126. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Mr SMiff— ha ha ha ha

127. By Shawn on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

this mock draft has us taking either LT Kalil or CB Claibourne depending on the Rams …. Imagine our secondary is

CB- Chris Cook
    CB- Morris Claibourne
    NB- Antoine Winfield/ Sapp or Allen
    DB- Asher Allen/ Sapp or Sherels or Burton

FS- Ced Griffen
    SS- Tyvon Branch

128. By Shawn on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

How many sacks could Jarred Allen get if our secondary had people covered forcing the QB to hold onto the ball for another 2 seconds ?

129. By mr smiff on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Shawn, that’s a very good question.

130. By Shawn on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Dear Mr. Frazier,

You are a 4-3 defensive guy. Your job depends on you winning more than you lose next season. Steve Spagnuolo needs a job. Steve has had top 10 defenses. Do I need to say more?

131. By TheRealDon on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

We need a new DC

132. By mr smiff on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

The Vikings need to go 3-4. It’s much better against the p@ss.

133. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Shawn, I was thinking that the other day and how remarkable Jared Allen had so many sacks with such a weak secondary, and other weaknesses in the defense. So, to all the Spences in the world, I say, top that. Allen is the best.

134. By TheRealDon on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

I’m all for Morris Claibourne

135. By TheRealDon on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

TITANIUM TITUS..What way would you like us to go in the draft.

136. By NovaScotiaVike on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Much better than Dolores Claiborne.

137. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

My only concern with Spielman is the difficulty of being promoted within– sometimes it is difficult to establish authority among your former peers. He seems like a real nice guy and I hope he is able to be decisive and take charge. He is far from stoopid and I believe he is great at evaluating talent. I think this may turn out to be a very good move– only a couple years will prove the outcome of this decision.
    In the meantime, let’s all be real men and congratulate Rick Spielman on the promotion.

138. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

I was going to add women on my last line, but I have seen most women who post here seem to have more common sense that most of the bloggers- so not necessary.

139. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

RealDon– I don’t have enough time to follow all the drafts and college prospects to make a smart pick. I know we need a better O line, period. That is our greatest need, followed by the secondary– everything else is gravy.

140. By Vikingsfool on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

spencer is just mad because I take him to scool everytime he opens his mouth. Arent you Spencer.

141. By TheRealDon on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

O line is a must.

142. By Vikingsfool on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Thanks for the props Titus! It may after all be irrational thinking that has put the org. in this mess.

143. By Vikingsfool on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Either that or the triangle of power relied way too much on fan opinion.

144. By Vikingsfool on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

There once was a stoopid named Spencer.
    He worked as a tampon dispencer.
    Then one day he asked as he stood on the grass.
    How did my foot get in my A**?

145. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

I have stood by this team for decades and each new season I declare this is the year and every Minnesotan I come across always corrects me– “Yeah, but they always choke.” Henry Ford said it best when he said whether you expect the best or worst, you are right. We have a horrible declaration over this team — people need to start confessing a championship.

146. By Vikingsfool on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Oh ho said the mighty spence.
    I’ve thought of something with sence.
    there’s another football dream which I can watch and Gleem, The Packers will be my new team.
    Go away Spence, you might find yourself more comfortable in a Green Bay wal-mart.

147. By Vikingsfool on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Well no matter how many times they do the proverbial choke, it will make it all the more sweeter when they win one. Any team can win a championship, but only few will ever know the romance of getting there and losing over and over. The Cubs, The Bills, The Vikes. It’ll be like the Sox winning the Series. It’s bound to happen and will be so sweet when it does,

148. By Mike B. on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

@titus I am just as up for game as you are, but I can’t see where this is an improvement for the team. I guess I will need to see which heads in the coaching staff roll before I feel they are making positive moves. I need to see how the draft goes and then maybe I will have some confidence in what direction we are going. Right now my gut says this is the wrong move. I thought that speilman should be one of the first out the door.

149. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

I think Frederick Jones was too much for the Wilf brothers and they had to hire someone fast.

150. By hippster on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

my prediction,it will be years before this team make’s it to the playoffs again ,and will possibly never win a superbowl face it this team is the new lions of the NFC central .

151. By Spence on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Really vikingsFool? A poem? And what dont you guys understand. I think Jared Allen getting 22 sacks is amazing.

152. By chris_b on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

is this a joke. this guy is a joke look at the players we have now. We are in for a long losing spell and it deosnt look like wilfs know shiit from shampoo when it comes to building a winning team.

153. By Derrick.G on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Ugh…..Hope he does something…..if not……CELLAR!

154. By Mark B on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

After the annoucement, I felt the need to do some analysis. I went thru every draft that Spielman has been a part of (not counting the years he was a scout with the Lions) and after my grading – which I have to admit was pretty nice imo – that was based on round taken, longevity of career and career stats I came up with some interesting (and, again imo, scary) numbers. Keep in mind that these numbers do NOT include the 2011 draft class as I don’t feel 1 year is really enough to classify if the player will be quality or not.

16% were what I called quality, impact players
    27% were OK – might have had good (4-6 yr) careers or excellent numbers in
    the years they did play.
    48% were busts – under 2 year careers with no significant stats (or even games played) or taken too early for the stats they did get
    9% never made a team, EVER!

And this is our GM?!?

155. By sandiamond on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Va Tech draft players in the bowl game:

Jayron Hosely CB
    Eddie Whitley S
    Jarrett Boykin WR

156. By hippster on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

come sail away,come sail away,on a sinking ship today .

157. By sandiamond on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

1st round CB Jenkins/ no bowl game
    Caleb King and Ponder in this video

158. By CaribooBill on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Congratulations Rick! Clear lines of communication are crucial in any organization. There also cannot be responsibility without control. We now know who has the ultimate responsibility for personnel (player) acquisition. I think that is a good thing. I got the impression from the presser and the written notes that Spielman and Frazier will work well together. Only time will tell. I think we are not far from being a sound team. One more TD on offense and one less TD on defense would make a huge difference in the outcome of each game. How do we achieve that?

159. By Spence on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

……………Abdullah…………………………………………………………Tyvon Branch

Chris Cook……………………………………………………………………………..Morris Claiborne
    ………………….Greenway……EJ Henderson………..Erin Henderson
    ……………..Allen……Kevin Williams…………..Ballard………..EGriffin…….

160. By Spence on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

My dream defense.

161. By Paul Seifert on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

It is pretty obvious that the Wilf’s want to move to LA……Based on this teams last record and a way of tying the names together…how about the LA Queens!

Joe Namath Joe Montana Joe Webb

162. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Mark B– your numbers are meaningless without context. Take your analysis further. Use deeper critical thinking.

163. By gubber on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it’s still a pig. Does this guy have pictures or something. I can think of at least a dozen people I’d have before Spielman. Just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. When are the owners ever going to learn how to get things right. Year 53 and counting coming up !!!

164. By Mark B on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Titus – want some context? Hows this: in 2004 (last time Speilman was GM) he had 6 draft picks and drafted:
    Vernon Carey (#19 OA) T : Started every game he’s played in for Miami – Decent pick
    Will Poole (102 OA) CB: Stared 1 game with 31 tackles, 1 sack and 5 pass defensed (0 ints) in 3 years – not so decent even in round 4.
    Tony Bua (160 OA) LB: Played in 7 games in 2004 with 1 FF; no stats after 2004 – wasted pick.
    Rex Hadnot (174 OA) G: Played 4 seasons in Miami, 2 in Cleveland and 2 in Arizona – started most games: steal for a late round OG.
    Tony Pape (221 OA) G: Played 0 games in 2004, hasn’t seen a roster since – Wasted pick
    Derrick Pope: (222 OA) LB: Recorded 147 tackles in 4 seasons with the Dolphins including 2 sacks; decent enough pick in the 7th round.

I can do that for every draft class he’s been part of. Not sure if you meant to be condesending or not, but how can you know what my analysis entails without seeing it?

165. By Mark B on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

And Will Poole Started* … sorry for the typo

166. By YourMama on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Thx Mark B. I was actually wondering what his overall track record was. I do not agree with this move. Have never liked Spielman. For every AP, Allen, and Harvin there’s several Erasmus James’ and Troy Williamson’s. Our Oline hasn’t been addressed in over a decade. I honestly can’t remember the last time we’ve have good db’s. Franchise QB? How many old past their prime qb’s did we go through? Real smart move.

167. By Mark B on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Need to clarify myself – Carey started 2 of the 14 games he played in 2004, has started at least 12 games (every game he’s played in) since then, including 2011

168. By YourMama on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Pa-ssing league, will say for a while now right. DB’s might be on the check list. NOPE. QB (before Ponder, maybe) check. NOPE. Oline to block for said QB, check. NOPE. I think we wasted our 1st rd pick last year on a 3rd rd QB maybe medium 2nd. I’m not saying Ponder doesn’t have opportunity to be great I’m saying we could have got him in the 2nd

169. By Spence on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

We all Know Ponder wasnt first round talent…

170. By animal26 on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

man, if we draft Claiborn and get that Tyvon Branch in free agency. Our secondary will look much improved.
    Winfield
    Claiborn
    Cook (if he isn’t found guilty of the charges against him)
    Griffin
    These 4 will make for a much upgraded secondary along with Tyvon Branch and Mistral Raymond playing Free safety and strong safety.

Just have to hope the Vikings are able to find or draft a big receiver, left tackle, right guard, defensive tackle, and a maybe a weak side linebacker. Think if this happens, the Vikings can be very competitive in 2012.

171. By VA Vike Fan on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

WHY DOES FRED PAGAC STILL HAVE A JOB?!?!?!?

172. By VA Vike Fan on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

So we go 3-13 and all we do is give somebody a promotion? really??

173. By josh k on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

my question is who was in charge of the Ponder pick???? was it Frazier? if it was than this move isnt AS bad. you never know it could workout great. we need a new defensive coordanator and defensive scheme. pickup a FA WR (desean Jackson) and draft either Claireborn or Kalil.

give em some time. i still wana know about the Ponder pick though. can you give us some insight Mike W???

174. By Viking-ology on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Hopefully Speilman at GM will stabalize things draft and staff-wise. This is huge opportunity for the Vikes to make a big impact in the draft and get them on the right track in 2012.

175. By Viking-ology on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

VA Vike Fan- I was hoping after they promoted Speilman to GM, the first move he would make is fire Pagac and hire Spagnuolo. Take about immediate results, but in this case just wishful thinking.

176. By Viking-ology on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

josh k-give Ponder a chance. See how he pans out after a full offseason and regular season.

177. By GM on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Rick Does hold quite the resume. A lot of experience.

1990-1994 Detroit Lions (College Scout)

1995-1996 Detroit Lions (College & Pro Scout)

1997-1999 Chicago Bears (Director of Pro Personnel)

2000-2001 Miami Dolphins (Vice President of Player Personnel)

2002-2003 Miami Dolphins (Senior Vice President-Football Operations/Player Personnel)

2004 Miami Dolphins (General Manager)

2006-2011 Minnesota Vikings (Vice President of Player Personnel)

2012–present Minnesota Vikings (General Manager)

178. By Frederick Jones on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Titanium Titus thanks for the promo., It made me lol

Spielman was on the radio with Dan Barrieo (Bizzaro-sp).

I have to admit, I am concerned about some of his statements. For example he said it was okay to pick some positions lower in the draft. The example he used was WIDE RECEIVERS!!! Who has heard this before?

***A player is a player. Skills are needed at all 22 positions + special teams.

We must convince Spielman that we need Offensive Linemen and Defensive Backs. He MUST use the draft, free agency, and trades to secure at least 2 very good people for each of those units.

I am very afraid that he won’t do that, based on what he said to Bizzaro (sp).

179. By Frederick Jones on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

The best thing about having Spielman as GM is that if he does a poor job, he is gone!!!

180. By Mike B. on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

@Fred WR is a need also. Just as much as the OL or DB.

181. By Spence on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Will you clowns stop bashing Ponder??? Its annoying as F—-. For now he is our Guy. And Remember when Chris Cook was terrible last year? Well this year he ShutDown Bowe.Vincent Jackson.Fitz and Megatron!!! The most catches he allowed in one game was 3 to Megatron…but he also had 3 Pass Deflections that year. All im sayin is that its too soon to call Ponder a scrub.

182. By Frederick Jones on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Spielman also said that the Vikings have to consider whether having an average player at certain positions is okay, and that we must have STARS at certain positions.

To me that says, “Hey make sure you have a great QB, RBs, WRs, and the rest can be average players.”

That kind of thinking creates 6-10 and 3-13 continuously!

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO 40 FOR 60???

183. By Mike B. on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

I really can’t believe some of these guys cutting the organization a break since they have to pay childress’s salary next year. Coaches and VPs aren’t part of the salary cap. I don’t see us improving next year and we might get worse. But I will watch what happens this post/pre season. I also don’t understand why there wasn’t wholesale firing of the Defensive Coaching Staff. Allen may support the DC, but our defense stunk up the place. I also would like to see the OC demoted and install a new OC and get rid of whoever the OL coach is.

184. By Frederick Jones on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

@Mike B.,

We also need most of the rest of the positions.

Our highest priorities should be OL and DB. A great WR, LB, or RB should be an after thought!

We must keep our priorities up there or the ship will be sunk for the next 8 years, just like your Detroit City Lions!

185. By GM on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

186. By Frederick Jones on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

@Mike B.,

We didn’t have any DB’s. Did you really expect Fred Pagac to play CB for us???

187. By Mike B. on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Without that outstanding WR you will never get any kind of game going. Defenses will keep 8 or 9 in the box like they did all season to stop AP. They didn’t respect our ability to go down field. WE need a Moss type receiver without the baggage.

188. By GM on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

It would be nice to know the details of this GM position.

189. By Frederick Jones on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

We may have to be very, very patient with the Vikings. This is a rebuilding project.

It may be many years before the Vikings win the Division again.

8-8 would be so great!!!

Also building through the draft take time, and we may not have the money for
    quality free agents.

190. By Mike B. on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

The tackling was sloppy and CBs and Safeties rarely got the guy on the first hit also where was B Rob when Jared was getting double and triple teamed. They had to use the LBs to cover in the middle and then sometimes they missed tackles. It looks like poor coaching to me. I will give them they were depleted at CB, but the mistakes made were more than just poor players.

191. By Mike B. on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

When you take responsibility for a 3-13 record means somebody will have to hit the road or you will just repeat your failures.

192. By Frederick Jones on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

@Mike B.,

Did you watch other NFL games?

The thing I found in contrast to Viking games is that their QBs could STEP INTO THEIR THROWS!!!

Spielman says that Ponder has to learn to “slow the game down” so he can release the ball quicker. lol x ten at least.

GET SOME GOOD OFFENSIVE LINEMEN RICK SPIELMAN,
    GIVE US BREAK DUDE!!!

193. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Mark B– that is not context. That is content. I asked for relational critical thinking. Your statistics tell me nothing outside of context. What are the track records of others in the same settings/organization as Spielman– that gives me context. That gives me a real basis to start a serious evaluation.

194. By Mike B. on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

@Fred I would be happy with a WR, OT, or CB in the first round. Whoever is the best play at the 3rd pick. I am not in favor of picking RG3 like I have heard some fans say. We don’t need another rookie first round QB.

195. By Frederick Jones on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

@Mike B.,

One of the reasons we wanted a GM is so that one guy over looks ALL of the personnel moves. While it appears that Rick “Hollywood” Spielman may have had a lot of the responsibility last year…NO ONE PERSON COULD BE THAT STUPID TO AS TO NOTICE HOW BAD OUR OFFENSIVE LINE AND DEFENSIVE BACKS WERE. There must have been arguments among the VPs similar to those on the Jerry Springer Show. Seriously.

Yes, I agree we need another good wide receiver. No doubt.

196. By Mike B. on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

@Fred you can put that entire OL fiasco on Frazier and Spielman not evaluating the talent at the line properly. You think they can honestly improve our OL when they picked the guy from INDY.

197. By Frederick Jones on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Perhaps Rick Spielman will work out. We really only have one option and that is to support him. :) Which I have not done yet. :) :)

Our best option at this point is to give Spielman some player names, videos, etc. as Shawn and Sandiamond have done.

Now some of us do not know the college players. So all I can really do is to remind him of the areas we need to strengthen..

OFFENSIVE LINE
    DEFENSIVE BACKS

198. By Mike B. on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

I heard Frazier bragging up Asher Allen today He had moments of good play but he missed many times too. I question their ability to be objective with players in house.

199. By Frederick Jones on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

@Mike B.,

I have to stand by my last statement.

He is going to get a chance regardless.

200. By Frederick Jones on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

@Mike B.

We can let him know what WRs are available.

I intend to be a bug in his ear (or more likely the ears of my fellow bloggers…lol).

201. By Mike B. on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

@Fred right you are there we have no choice but to see how Spielman does. I want to see some trend that improvements will be made before I can throw some support his way. I want to see what personel changes are made and FAs they pick up. Might be on the Spielman train before the draft but maybe not. Take care

202. By Frederick Jones on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Public opinion does matter. We are the 12th man!

203. By Frederick Jones on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Thank you Mike B.

204. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Fred– now what are you going to post?

205. By Mark B on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Ok Titus:
    Spielman inheritied a Dolphins team that went 11-5 in 2000 (first year there) and followed up with (in order) 11- 5, 9-7, 10-6 and 4-12 then sunk into mediocrity (they’ve had 2 seasons over .500 since) and the Vikes have had 3 +.500 seasons since his hire. In the same time period, the Colts have had 2 sub .500 seasons, the Patriots have had 1, the Packers have had 2, and the Steelers have had 1. With the exception of the Pats, all the teams have had multiple head coaches while finishing the 2000 season with worse records. I understand that I am comparing him to three of the elite teams in the league in that time period, as a fan of the Vikes, should I expect anything but? If the GM is to be the voice and direction of the team, that person should show a track record of CONSISTENTENCY and teams under Spielman haven’t shown that to me.

206. By Mark B on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Sorry – comparing them to 4 teams, not three. I added the Packers in for some NFC North flavor after I typed the whole thing in.

207. By Mark B on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Don’t get me wrong, I would love to be proven wrong about Spielman (and I may be, only time will tell) and agree that having a GM – a single person with his hand on the tiller steering the team long term – I don’t think it was a good idea to hire that person without at least interviewing others, especially considering what has happened over the last 24-48 hours.

208. By Mark B on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Also Titus, you ask me for context as to my arguement that Spielman may not have been the correct choice for the position. I would ask you to quantify the opposite view – what makes him the right choice?

209. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

I still want to know the comparison to your first post– 16% of Rick’s picks you said were great players – another 27% good– so something around 43% good to great. What does that number tell me out of context? I do not know what a good ratio is for personnel VPs or scouts. I do not know what constraints Spielman had on him from his bosses or financial restraints.

As for the teams records- that is also suspect without further analysis. So many variables there– the Dolphins have been so so for a long time. I am not saying I give Spielman a gold star, but I am reserving judgment and giving him the benefit of the doubt. And why not? It’s not like we can post as much as Fred Jones and get a different GM. He is who we have — let’s be positive.

210. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Oh, no Mark B– I do not recollect inferring that Spielman was the right choice. I was a bit shocked by the news, and admittedly, a bit disheartened, but I have been on the planet long enough to see majority opinions to be proven wrong time and time again. Spielman is not a complete failure as it seems some of these posts imply– He is not stoopid.

211. By VA Vike Fan on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Asher Alllen is terrible! I’ve been saying it for years

212. By Mark B on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

I never said that all of the top 16% were great players – but they were able to contribute at a high level (over 800 yards receiving per year avg for receivers, about the same yards for RB etc) for a number of years. The 27% of “good” players were able to either maintain a long (4+ years) career or put up numbers that would have put them in the area that I called “quality” but due various reasons they were unable to make it past the 3 year mark. The bottom 57% were not able to make it 3 years in the league (there were a couple first round picks that fell into that category mind you) and never produced on the field. Like I said in the initial post, I was grading “nicely” – just looking for people that could continue to contribute in any way over the long term.

213. By Mark B on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

While Spielman has hit gold with some guys (AP, Percy, the trade for Allen, Chris Chambers, Donald Lee, Yeremiah Bell, Olin Kreutz, Tony Parrish, etc) he has also had some strikeouts (Eddie Moore, Tyrell Johnson, Todd Wade, Ben Kelly, John Allred – all of whom were taken in rounds 1 & 2). Just a little disappointed that the search for a GM started and ended with one guy. In the same time Polian has drafted guys like Freeney, Mathis, Donald Strickland, Dallas Clark, Jake Scott, Reggie Wayne, Bob Sanders, Kelvin Hayden, Antoine Bethea etc all over in the draft (Bethea went in the 6th round, Mathis in the 5th, Scott in the 5th) and feel the Vikes should have at least taken a look.

214. By Viking-ology on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Fred-now that we have a GM, can you start a “fire the D coordinator and hire Spags” post. I feel this would be a HUGE step in the right direction.

215. By TITANIUM TITUS on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Fred– get ‘er done! Get us a stadium.

216. By Parody on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Rudso – What I was trying to say with my analogy is that you don’t need to swing for the home run every time, and that there are times when it is detrimental to even try so. Hitting a home run every time would be great, but it is unrealistic. Many times, and in certain instances, it is much better just to make sure you get on base. Think of a situation in which you have a full count, bases loaded, tied score, and the pitch is high and inside. Swing for the home run and it’s likely you just gave up a perfect chance to win the game.

This team has superstars on it already with the likes of Adrian Peterson, Percy Harvin and Jared Allen at the top of the list. We can’t afford to have superstars at every position, and would be better off if we didn’t try to. We need more guys who don’t demand the spotlight, but whose performance earns them quiet respect around the league for doing what the team needs them to. A perfect example of this was Kleinsasser. For his entire career, Vikings fans knew his name and respected his contribution. He did what was asked of him, and rarely gave us a reason to moan about his play on the field, while never giving us that reason for his actions off it.

On the other side of the coin, you have guys that the team has drafted in recent years such as Cook and Rice. Cook has shown great promise in being a shut-down corner, but character concerns have made it possible that he’ll finish his rookie contract in jail, and the Vikings will be forced to move on without him. Rice had plenty of potential, and showcased it with the help of Favre, (another questionable move that I’ll get to in a moment). But injury concerns, and his choices on how to address them turned Rice into nothing more than a one-year-wonder, and the team let him walk. In both cases I would have preferred a player who might have been less of a standout playmaker, and more of a reliable every-day contributor who didn’t make headlines off the field.

In the case of Favre, I wasn’t certain of his abilities to help the team out from day one. He proved me wrong the first year, and almost brought the team all the way. The second year was the big mistake though. The team gambled huge, offering him an enormous incentive to return even though they were aware of the bruises he still held from the previous year. That move was enough to convince the team leaders not to look for his eventual replacement, and the price was enough to keep them from being able to add any other respectable talent to the team for the present or future.

217. By Matthias on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Toby Gerhart seems to have a torn mcl, too…. :((

218. By Mike B. on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Want to talk about mistake by this team look at where McKinney is this year. He goes to another team and moves a first round pick to RT. (BTW it’s the guy the blind side movie is about) He is having a great year and in the playoffs. Maybe some better evaluation and some motivational coaching would have helped him play better for us. He was still better than the LT we ended up getting.

219. By 61vikings on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

How in the world do you promote a guy within the organization on a 3-13 team!!! This is nothing more than the “good old boy” mentality!! You have Bill Polian sitting out there and you pick a guy who has brought this team down!!! Every team in our division has gotten stronger, while we’ve gotten weaker!!! Wake up Wilf family!!

220. By wacky on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

spielman and mike wobschall are lovers!

221. By wacky on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

they where seen on top of spielmans desk having a blast after the 3-13 season! fans…. this is y we can’t ever win a super bowl……

222. By wacky on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

spielmans got the hickups after mike wobschall was finnished..

223. By Rick on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

I will say this, he is much better than when scott studwell was making the calls.

224. By sandiamond on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Va Tech RB Dave Wilson good game last night. One mock draft has us picking him in the 4th ( note:underclassmen)
    98. Minnesota Vikings 3-12 David Wilson Running Back Virginia Tech Junior David Wilson is a good back. I think he can start if you need him to. I think Wilson could compete with Toby Gerhart for the #2 running back job.

Also a kick returner

Get Percy some help!

225. By Parody on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Sandia – RB is one position that we need not worry about this year. Even with the injuries to AP and Gerhart, there is plenty of time for both of them to be ready to step onto the field early next season.

226. By sandiamond on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Should be a rule of the draft Parody. No quarterbacks and running backs before round 4. I’m just hoping we get two Rd4’s so Spielman can go for a ‘splash’ pick there and not in round 1!

227. By DRS on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

This proves that the fans are heard from on this blog, Good Job getting a GM; do not know if it is the correct person for the Job, we shall see. Now maybe the Vikings will do something about the defense and Offense. Spielman get rid of all the dead weight in this team, keep the players that can and want to play, fire everyone that will not or cannot, and do it now. We the Fans need to see action and now.

228. By Matt Roberts on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Some of the people here are unbelievably dumb, learn what a GM is and what they do. Failures in our drafts are on Chilly, without a GM its the HC final word on who to draft, who to sign, and who to trade. IE: Randy Moss trade was ALL Chilly, T JAX was ALL Chilly, ETC ETC ETC. Also stop complaining about this season, there was no off season with a rookie HC, new OC, new QB, then rookie QB that barely had time with 1st string near the beginning of the season. But based on Ponder’s average arm and injury prone-ness I would consider trading him for maybe a 2nd round and drafting RG3. RG3’s mobility can allow for a lesser O-line, with his deep ball accuracy WILL open room for AP to run. Also trade Marvin Mcnutt from Iowa. I believe George Stewart does a great job with developing receivers, just look at Percy Harvin. He was a running back in college, now he is getting better every season and is developing into a better WR.

229. By Matt Roberts on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

draft* Marvin Mcnutt

230. By Troutdaddy on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Sorry to join the game so late…. When I heard that the Vikes had hired a General manager I started jumping up and down with Joy and then I found out who it was and sprained my ankle. I now sit on the floor drowning my sorrows in Dr. Pepper and Praying that some good comes out of this decision. Kinda remarkable to see SO MANY PEOPLE acreaming for a General Manager and have it happen in a way that almost slapped the screamers silly…. Sorry Frederick. I know how passionate you have been about this. Titus and Parody I share many of your feelings here. At this point I am going to just call it a year and wait until draft time to make any judgements. I think thatis what any of us can do at this point, right? Skol Vikes…. Nuf said….

231. By Vikesfan on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

WILL YOU GUYS S.H.U.T UP your the most least supported fans i have ever seen give the guy a fr.e.a.king chance. the coach will never see your guys comment so stop saying fire him or hire him blah blah blah. i see vikings going to the playoffs next year they got an easy schedule and should get good draft picks. man mike w. please ban these people

232. By Vikesfan on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

we need LSU CB morris claiborne and ALABAMA CB Dre kirkpatrick

233. By Alex on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

How did Zygi make his millions? the guy’s a moron.

234. By jackieyou on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

For those were, are in military service. Thank You! Spending time with family and loved ones, festivities on the holidays, the kids making a snowman and more…So many things are possible today because of our Veteran and Military heroes. We salute you brothers and sisters. Thank you and if you need a place for friendship, love, romance, marriage and even more, we are a honored to provide you with a choice__uniformedkiss.c o m_. It is tailored to personnel in uniform such as armed forces, police, navy, security, medical, ambulance, prison, air crew and fire fighters.

235. By josh k on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

so after watching the Rick Spielman presser i see 3 things that stand out.

#1. Rick says only Zygi will hire and fire coaches.

#2. Rick says Leslie will still have the same role and influence on draft day.

#3. particularly in the beginning of the video Rick’s tone of voice sounds fake. hes trying to sound like hes in charge and i’m not really buying it.

so my conclusion is, ZERO changes are at hand except Rick will be the next one to take the bullet if we fail on draft day or seem to have a poor roster.

236. By josh k on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

lucky for rick it will be hard to pick a bad player at the #3 spot, you must draft successfully in the 2nd and 3rd round too though. use those to plug in obvious holes(OL DB WR) and the later picks for depth.

the coaches and coordinators probably have one more year beefore any changes are made in that department but it seems spagnola would be a nice addition. and i cant help but want Raheem Morris.

maybe we should get Raheem and put lezlie back at defensive coordinator. whatever we do we need to fix the pass defense with this league evolving especially in the North division

237. By the4norsemen on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

@James_VikingsFanSince1998 Are you serious??? Brian Robison is mediocre??? Just because he didn’t equal Allen’s sack total?? Let’s see some stats here: JA had 66 tackles, 22 sacks, 4 FFs, and an Int. Robison had 44 tackles, 8 sacks, and 3 FF’s. Oh and the guy Robison replaced, Ray Ray??? 33 tackles, 3.5 sacks and NO FFs fr the Falcons this year. I think the Vikes finally made the right move there…something that should’ve been done a few years ago already. Robison has speed, agility and strength to compliment JA really well. Oh and Williams finally came back to his Pro Bowl playing self at the end of the season. The other DT position is one in question but a number of players could finally step up to the challenge next year. I would say the DL is quite solid. The sack total could’ve been much higher since only a handful of our DL sacks were coverage sacks. A much better secondary and coaching strategy for the secondary, would’ve produced a LOT more coverage sacks.

238. By jv3rnon on Jan 6, 2012 | Reply

Vikings interview Raheem Morris for DC to replace Pagac

239. By jlenz on Jan 6, 2012 | Reply

I agree with with the comment that this will clearly show Spielman for who he is, with no one to blame. It could also show that he is a great talent evaluator. He tends to elude to; he has never been a “real” GM; has never had full control; that his roster choices were part of a collective decision. We will find out in 2012 if Speilman is “who he says he is”-to coin Denny Green :-) Think this is a good thing.

240. By jer olson on Jan 6, 2012 | Reply

It was a bad season but you cant have them losing more games already. The biggest problem has been qb. Going all the way back to cullpepper if your not getting 10 plus years out of a qb then its a failure then came t jack and that was worse. They had the whole thing lined up perfect but t jack wasnt the guy then they brought in farve that worked 1 year. Give it time to build things back up. They have drafed well . Ej was good but is older Edwards,Ced Griffen,S Rice, Sulliven,Harvin ,Perterson ,Rudoulph, Gerhert. These have helped us and we know you cant resign everyone. If Ponder ends up being what they think we will be in good shape

241. By Packer Supa Bowl Champs on Jan 6, 2012 | Reply

E=====>

242. By Troutdaddy on Jan 6, 2012 | Reply

@ Vikesfan… Dude, this is a blog for us fans to voice our opinions and talk about anything we want to about our beloved Viking team. The fact is that many fans are not happy that Spielman was chosen to be the GM. Some may not like it, but all of us HAVE to give him a chance because there is nothing more we can do. Sure, I will give the guy a huge chance. I would love to see him be the best GM in the league and lead the Vikes to success. Just because I am not jumping for joy over it right now doesn’t mean I am right, right? Be respectful of other fans opinions. I am sure Mike W has much more to worry about than banning a few fans who express their opinions of dislike on occasion. If that were the fact, then true bloggers like Titus and Frederick would have been yanked their first week and that would be sad because I really enjoy their passion and insights- even if I may disagree sometimes- but one thing is for sure- I remain educated by these bloggers and enjoy the humor and banter that go with it. Skol Vikes!

243. By Rocksalt on Jan 6, 2012 | Reply

Too many needs…not enough picks to fill the holes…….this team will not be competitve for years…….Ponder, who played only half the season, was sacked 24 times…….Pagac and Musgrave were horrible….

another thing..I hear talk of not having trainig camp, 1st year coach, etc…all excuses…just ask Jim Harbaugh.

244. By shyguy6482 on Jan 8, 2012 | Reply

I am a Dolphins fan and will tell you that speilman was the GM that led to the 1-15 team. He was not the GM when they went 1-15 but he was responsible for that roster. Here is a guy who drafted jamar flatcher over Drew Brees in the 1st round when the Dolphins obviously needed a QB, he also traded a 2nd round pick for A.J.feeley who was a backup QB at best AND he traded a 3rd round pick for Lamar Gorgon who was a 3rd string RB at the time of the trade. So all I can say is good luck and get used to 3-13 because as long as speilman is there the Vikes will not improve like they should.

245. By Waliis on Jan 8, 2012 | Reply

Enjoy the game also enjoy your life. flingpartner. c0m a wonderful place to explore excitement and your lost passion. Life is short, you’ll never regret to dating with sexy beauties/guys in your area. enjoy.

246. By carter worth on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

I think they blew the draft last year taking ponder so early. I like Joe Webb but apparently the smart people don’t. Got a great pick number this year, lets see if the take a second round player as #3.

247. By jjkrom on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Draft Blockman. Having him on the team will not only improve the O line, but make Harvin and Rudolph even more dangerous. Draft OL and secondary in later rounds. Joe Thomas/Jake Long, what’s their team records. Ponder and Webb are scramblers. Opposing defense wont have a clue what to do.

2. Jan 11, 2012: Vikings Name Spielman General Manager | VikesCity