Ponder Expected To Start On Sunday

Posted by Mike Wobschall on December 29, 2011 – 7:41 am

Vikings QB Christian Ponder was forced out of last week’s game against the Washington Redskins after he suffered a concussion in the 3rd quarter, and given the (rightful) sensitivity to head injuries in professional sports these days it wouldn’t have been surprising to see Ponder ruled out for Sunday’s season finale against the Bears at Mall of America Field.

But there was good news on Wednesday. Ponder was a full participant in practice, and Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier said the plan is for Ponder to start on Sunday. Frazier also said he saw some good things from Ponder in the Washington game before he was injured, and that he’s looking for the rookie QB to continue playing well on Sunday.

“I thought he did some good things in that Washington game prior to being injured,” Frazier explained. “He really seemed to be settled down and playing with the confidence we expect and seemed to be having fun in the time that he was out there. I’m optimistic that he’s going to play well in our ball game on Sunday and that’s good for his confidence, good for our team, and it’s a big deal just to continue to try to improve but all of these looks that he is getting now as a rookie should help him in the future.”

Tags: ,

181 Responses to “Ponder Expected To Start On Sunday”

1. By Bigfan1 on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Webb a whole season behind Brett Favre vs Ponder a few games behind Donovan Mcnabb. Who has played better this year?? The Vikings are really stretching trying to find positive nuances about Ponder since they picked him at 12, I guess this year is a freebie, next year will be most important for Ponder.

2. By Deertracks on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Another kick in the teeth for Webb…

Demand a trade to another team that recognizes true talent!!

Then come back and kick the Vikings Bright Red A$$$!!

3. By pse1124 on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Is it just me or did Berger play well again? I predict he will start for us next year.

4. By Viking33 on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

They are both good, but only one should start and the other should back him up. Yes I know to all the fans out there I know QB’s make everyones team better – “Its quarterback driven league” to quote Jaworski’s every other breath. We finally have our QB situation figured out here in MN and we just want to rip it apart? Build around these guys, you need two good QB’s in this league to make it, we have that, so lets start worrying about the rest of the team. Draft – LT – RT – Then defense all the way. FA = Reggie Wayne – And get a better Punter, that kid from Louisiana Tech, the Ray Guy Award Winner, Ryan Allen if he comes out, he is a Jr.

5. By Viking33 on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Get a GM and Go Rams!!

6. By Spence on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Ponder plays like utter S—

7. By Spence on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Cant believe this piece of F— is going to play another 4 quarters.

8. By Deertracks on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Spence…Just wait until the House Wrecking set of Twins ( Urlacker and Peppers come rumbling thru the hole left by our new Running Back Flying Saucer…(He used to be a TE and good blocker)..

9. By vita10gy on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Webb is a special talent, but you have to factor other teams not preparing for his style of play, as well as the fact that his style of play better fits our current lineup, who can’t hold a pocket for longer than it takes to snap the football.

Ponder has a higher likelihood of panning out as a “pure” quarterback, and the Vikings need to sink or swim with him. Teams will eventually figure out how to make Webb throw the ball.

10. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Johnson and Loadholt should have cables attached to them for the game. I’ve heard you can harness electricity from windmills.

11. By Gary on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Play to lose. Coach to lose. Manage to lose. Call plays to lose. Call defenses to lose. Put players on the field that will give the greatest chance to lose. Now that they got a meaningless victory to blow getting the 2nd pick, they MUST get pick #3. Either hope that Kalil falls to them or auction the pick to a QB hungry team wanting the chance to draft RG3 ahead of the other teams hunting for a QB.

12. By Spence on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

I mean F—-n he|| what more does Webb have to do? Ponder has shown me that he has a noodle arm and plays like garbage.

13. By sandiamond on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

K. Wright WR 1-2

Washington
    T. Alameda DT 3
    S. Kelemete OG 3-4
    J. Kearse WR 4

15. By Viking Joe on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Why not play Ponder and Webb at QB this week, what do the Vikings have to lose ?

16. By Spence on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

^Completely agree. Lets have Ponder provide us with his expected 2 quarters of Pathetic Football, then have Webb come in to save the day.

17. By garrett1212 on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Love how everyone ripped McNabb for 6 weeks and pleaded for Ponder to play. Now everyone is bashing Ponder as if it’s his fault we still can’t win. Give the rookie a chance. He needs time to develop. Everyone expects him to come in week 7 and play like Brees. I’m sure if Webb was starting our record would look very similar as it does now. He’s athletic, but not a true qb. We have lots of problems surrounding the qb position that need to be addressed. If you don’t like it, don’t watch it.

18. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Hey Spence, why don’t you coach the Vikes next season, you seem to have all the answers. I have a question for you, you bafoon. Ever heard of Aaron Rodgers? He stunk up the place his first year, ever heard of Jay Cutler? he stunk up the place his first year, Ever heard of Troy Aikman? he stunk up the place his rookie season. Oh yea and ever heard of Brett Favre??? he…well you get the point. Stoopid

19. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Touche Garret, Touche!

20. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

These pathetic bafoons like Spence wouldn’t know a good QB if they were standing in front of them. Hey spence, ever heard of Peyton Manning? Stunk it up his rookie season. Ever heard of Fran Tarkenton? Stunk it up his first season. OMG you are one dumb football fan man. Go cheer for another team, we don’t want you here.

21. By Spence on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

……….But Webb hasnt stunk. All he did was do great this year. All Ponder has done was throw to the other team. He has a noodle arm and that can be changed….ever. Ryan Mallett would of been the better choice: 6’6 with a cannon of an arm whose only concern was “character” and last time I checked you can change character. You cant change arm strength.

22. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Hey Spence, I bet your one of those idots who now wishes T-Jack was back. You bashed him for years and now he is finally coming of age in the NFL, he is not having a great season, but he is doing better than most thought he would. But, you badmouthed him about how he sucked and now you wish he was back. Good lord man get a freakin clue.

23. By Spence on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

T-jack was horrible in Minny. I remember when we started 3-5 with him and Gus Frerotte came in and won us 5 straight.

24. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Webb has come in to games at the end and made like maybe five passing attempts against teams that did not gameplan for Joe Webb at QB. Remember how good he played last year at TCF…oh wait he didn’t. Remember how great he played in Detroit…oh wait he didnt. We saw plenty of Webb late last season, enough to know that he is not the long term answer at QB. Let Ponder develop. You have droves of ex QBs and analysts predicting good things for Ponder, but you know way more than they do.

25. By Spence on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

And I dont wish he was back. Right now its all about going with the guy that gives us the best chance to score. And right now Ponder simply isnt that guy. When hes in the game its run, screen, pass, punt/fumble/int. With Webb the sky is the limit and the defense never adjusts.

26. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Oh yea I remember that year, Ol’ Gus was injured in the final weeks of the season and T-Jack came in and won some key games to get the Vikes into the playoffs. Point is, you don’t know jack smack about QB’s in the NFL, no more than I do. But, I know this, the coach starting Ponder knows more than all of us bloggers combined. But, you bafoons don’t seem to get that. If you idiots are so smart than why are you not NFL coaches?

27. By Spence on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

I believe Ponder is the better long term option at quarterback. Webb cant pass for a lick but hes puttin up points so I dont get how he cant start over Ponder. We have already seen Ponder, lets see some Webb in the season finale.

28. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Oh so now you change your mind. you are a useless bafoon, go cheer for another team. All of the sudden Ponder is the long term answer, but you don’t want to give him as many reps as possible??? WE ALREADY KNOW WHAT JOE WEBB CAN OFFER!!!PONDER NEEDS TO DEVELOP AND YOU DONT DO THAT ON THE BENCH. Get real!

29. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

I’m out. Oh yea and Spence, how do you like getting schooled?

30. By Spence on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

I’ve always believed Ponder is the better long term option. I just believe hes been playing like s— this year.

And Webb has only started like what 3 games? So I guess we know absolutely everything what he has to offer. Go F— yourself, Fool.

31. By vita10gy on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

If you believe Ponder is the better long term answer…..then how could you want Webb to play? Ponder isn’t going to have some “Eureka” moment 3 seasons from now in the shower where he suddenly becomes better. Practice makes perfect.

This point is made even dumber by the fact that, though I’d never root for a loss, we don’t even WANT to win against the bears.

Why delay the development of one player, to start another guy you yourself don’t even think is the long term guy of the two, so we can have a “better” chance of a win that would also hurt us in the long term?

32. By S-Dig on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Spence, the other team doesn’t adjust for webb because their game plan is set for Ponder. Ponder and Webb play two very different types of QB. You cannot waste your week of practice on trying to stop two different QB’s so you focus on the starter. If a team was to prep for Webb’s option style and in the 3rd Quarter Ponder was to come in, he’d light the place up with his arm. I love Webb, the guy is meant for the NFL but I really do not think at starting QB. Look at all the top tier QB’s in this league, none of them are running option heavy play. Give Ponder another year and maybe I’ll eat my words or maybe we’ll have our QB of the future.

33. By SpenceBelievesInWebb on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Because the offensive line is God-Awful so why on Earth would we throw out an already wounded Franchise Quarterback to the wolves? You know what. Lets go right ahead. What could ever go wrong having our future QB play in a Meaningless game.

34. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Looks like someone else agrees, imagine that. Whats wrong spence, don’t like school?? If you are going to come in here and blabbermouth about QBs like an ignoramous than be expected to get shot at right back. I swear, you should be the new GM Spencer. vikings General Manager, “spencer the gm”, nah I don’t like it.

35. By SpenceBelievesInWebb on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

I dont know about you Clowns, but Id much rather have Webb get injured than Ponder. So start Webb!

36. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

So I says to the guy, Hey spencer. I call him Spence for short (we got a good Vibe). So I says to the guy, hey spence. I hear the Packers are selling stock, how much did you buy at Walmart?

37. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

I believe in Webb too, as a backup QB

38. By SpenceBelievesInWebb on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Now if Ponder were to get drilled by Julius Peppers causing him to miss an extended portion of next season you guys better not blame the coaches for Ponder playing.

39. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

I won’t but I bet you will, you seem to be that sort of fan.

40. By SpenceBelievesInWebb on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

WHAT MORE DOES PONDER HAVE TO GAIN IN A COMPLETELY MEANINGLESS GAME?!?

41. By SpenceBelievesInWebb on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Im out of here. You guys disgusts me. Its one thing to let our Rookie CB or something to play. But the Franchise Quarterback? Wow. Just wow.

42. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Why not start our backup players for every game. According to Spence our star players are “just for looking at”. These are football players Spence. Not your winky (dont play with it, its just for lookin at)

43. By S-Dig on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Shielding your QB from scary players could be just as bad as him getting hit. Lessons are best learned on the field, not on the side line.

44. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

More than you know Spence, more than you know.

45. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Touche mr S-Dig. Touche!! Everyone give me a “HERE HERE”
    HERE HERE!!

46. By vita10gy on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Well, if the Webb supporters are changing the tune to “Webb should start to preserve a possibly-wobbily Ponder” that’s a totally different argument than “Ponder should sit because he sucks and Webb is better”

If Ponder is good enough to play, he should play, and we have to trust the people in charge of making that call. Someone could point to AP and say “see, that’s why you protect the future in ‘meaningless’ games”, but the Vikings have been playing “meaningless” games since what, week 5? So why is this one some special exception?

47. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

And Spence, I’ve never seen anyone flip flop like you. You come in here badmouthing Ponder and praising Webb than after some ribbing you decide Ponder is the long term answer at QB??? Get real bafoon.

48. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Scallywaags!!! you land lover. Who among us thinks we should make him walk the plank??? ARRRGHHHHH!!!

49. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Webb has RUN great. 54% pass completion this year is not GREAT. Last year, with a SLIGHTLY better O-line he managed 60% in his 5 games, but couldn’t find the endzone, and threw 3 INTs. Arm strength doesn’t mean a thing if he can’t hit a target.

Yeah, Webb has kicked butt. Keep believing that Spence.

50. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Play him hurt, The league needs to stop babying the QBs so much. Anyone remember Joe Kapp?? that guy ate glass for breakfast and the same for lunch. Trial by fire I say!!! Grab your torches and pitchforks and lets head down to Winter Park!!! rabble rabble rabble!!!

51. By morgan on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

A team should ALWAYS put our best chance of winning on the field….REGARDLESS. I don’t give a hoot who you drafted or what round. Webb CLEARLY gives us the best chance of winning and this is what he gets? Is Lezy hangin out with Chilly when he gets free time? I agree with the above poster that this is a slap in the face to Webb….and to us fans. What a long string of terrible decisions over the last couple of years (Moss, not firing Chilly sooner, drafting a QB in the 1st round) and now this. I have been a Min Vikings fan since 1975 and this nearly pushes me over the edge. If the Viks move to LA (or wherever)….I’m out.

52. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

We here in the northwoods thinks these scurvy maties ought to be punished for such a muntiny!!! ARRRRR!

53. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Get real Morgan, I bet you think you are the Captain. ARRRRRR!!!!

54. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

And you havent been a fan since 75′, old people dont blog you bafoon!!!

55. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

You were born in 98 and are in love with Justin Beiber!! ARRRRR!!!!

56. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Captain Morgan, kinda has a ring to it…..nah I don’t like it, but maybe you could make RUM????

57. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

I’ll be here all week, make sure to tip your waitress!! She needs to buy me booze tonight.

58. By sandiamond on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Vikingsfool! no need to bash people on here. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. You are making yourself look like Spence

59. By vita10gy on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

morgan: That’s very short sighted. This season was a complete lost cause from very early on, so why not make moves that increase the likelihood of getting wins in a season that does matter?

Ponder might turn the lessons from this season into a 24 wins in the next two seasons.

And again, investing in today and never in the big picture is silly on its face, but when you factor in that we’d be BETTER OFF by losing sunday…..I really almost don’t know what to say for you people.

60. By morgan on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Vikingsfool……acting like a child will only get you scolded. Maybe you are a child? You certainly act like it.

61. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Yep I’m a child alright, a starchild!!! I should be the Vikings GM. I watch great football teams therefore I have a great football mind.. nay…an elite football mind. YES GO ME GO ME GO ME!!!

62. By morgan on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Better off losing????? NEVER EVER. WHY? Only to draft yet another qb? You NEVER roll over and give up….period!!!!!

63. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

SKOL ME!!!!SKOL ME!!!! whats wrong captain morgan??? don’t like real people???YES ME YES ME!!! MORGAN=BOOOO…BOOOOO….BOOOOO

64. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Yeah listen to Captain Morgan!!! ARRRRR!!!!!

65. By morgan on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Vikingsfool…..your name says it all FOOL

66. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

He BE the best football mind among us scurvy mates!

67. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

whats wrong Morgan, don’t like a little fire??? Don’t like getting schooled by the more smarter fans out there. don’t have the book learning the rest of us do?

68. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

ARRRRR!!!

69. By morgan on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

BTW… Captain Morgan and Coke = very tasty.

70. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

your so but blind, the blogname vikingsfool, the bafoon like comments coming from my own mind? I’m the reflection of you! That’s the paradox man! Free Willy Free Willy Free Willy!

71. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

I just never developed a taste for Rum, be it pirate or otherwise.

72. By vita10gy on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

You see morgan, the NFL Draft order is determined by record. The worse record you have, the higher pick you get. The higher pick you have the more that pick is worth, and though there are no guarantees, there are generally a player or 2 that are heads and tails above the others.

Maybe it’s just me, but I’d rather go 1-15, 1-15, 1-15, and 15-1 + superbowl than

6-10, 9-7, 10-6, 9-7

If losing one game now leads to 2 wins tomorrow, then losing is winning. What’s not to get there?

73. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

More of a beer fellow, a true Minnesotan. Beer, ice fishing, losing football teams, the twinkies, fourth of july, deer hunting. Anything that is not the Packers. gosh I hate them!

74. By morgan on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

You kinda remind me of Captain K’nuckles on a cartoon my son watches. Flapjack

75. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Whats not to get is that if you want your team to lose for a better draft pick than you are the biggest bafoon in here. I mean I kid the others, even when I biggot them, they still have an argument, but losing for a draft pick? you never played sports did you. That is the worst message to send to a team. Whether its from the coach or the fans.

76. By Spence on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

I hope Ponder gets creamed.

77. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Captain K’nuckles eh? who among you scurvy scallowags wants a captain knuckle sandwich? ARRRRRR. cmon morgan gimme an ARRRR!!!

78. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Hey spence, I hope you get creamed, read your previous posts, fist you want webb to be the franchise, then you want Ponder at long term, but want webb to start so ponder stays healthy, then you want ponder to get hurt. Go to walmart and buy a packer jersey you bafoon.

79. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

And I thought you were leaving, or did you just go sit in a corner to lick your wounds and plot our destruction?

80. By VaVikingFan on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

I guess Spence seems to think if Webb had played all year we would be in the playoffs. Not the case. All we need to do is look at Detroit as an example. It has taken Stafford 3 full seasons to get where he is now, and I think he will continue to get better. The Vikings are probably at least 3 years away from being a winning team again, they have much work to do. Ponder needs to be the guy we build a team around, it it fails, so be it. But that is the direction they need to go. Constantly changing QB’s and offensive styles is no way to build a winning team.

81. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Ok you can all come out now, I’m leaving. I’ll be back one day when trouble arises. Just look to the sky. When you see the bat signal I’ll come running!!!

82. By Spence on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

I was lying. Ponder will never amount to anything in his career. Hes a poormans Mark Sanchez. We currently dont have anybody on the roster that is a franchise QB.

83. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

I thought Webb was the answer Spence??? you shouldnt have started up the bat signal cuz now here I am. And I was just settling down for a long winters nap.

84. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

I’m gonna laugh my arse off if the vikes have a winnings season some day and you are either ironically wearing a Ponder jersey, or refuse to watch because you blabbermouthed about him too much. go back to Wisconson.

85. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Can I go now Spence? Or are you waiting for me to leave so you can fire up the bat signal thinking that you can bafoon it up without a reality check from who??? Me…Captain Knuckles!!!ARRRRRRRRR

86. By vita10gy on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

To be fair I never said the Vikings should TRY to lose, just that they would be better set up for next season via the draft by losing. That’s a statement of fact, not option or desire.

Always, without exception, putting the team on the field that gives you the best chance to win today, future be darned, is an ill advised strategy. The flaw in this thinking is compounded by the fact that delaying the development of players to win today is doubly stupid if you know the win today is going to cost you in the future as well. The Vikings should play the team that will lead to more wins in 2012 and onward, and let the 2011 chips fall where they fall.

Especially when the season is lost, if not in general, you should play the team that you think will eventually lead to a dominant team, and let the wins and losses come where they may. Evaluating what you have for the future isn’t “rolling over for the loss”

87. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Dude you just said it again. Play to lose, re-think your argument.

88. By Spence on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

I’ll be dam if I ever wear a Ponder Jersey. What do you see in him?

89. By Spence on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Ponder is a pathetic Peice of S— who has a putrid arm.

90. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

A tough guy who plays bloody, a smart guy with an MA. A guy that almost beat the Packers in his first NFL start. A guy who practiced in the cold wearing a t-shirt and shorts. A guy who walks around in a Twin hat because he see’s the importance of image, A guy who wants to win, A guy who is a first round pick. A guy with no quit in him, a good arm, atheletic as all get out. A guy who needs some talent around him!!

91. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

What do you see in him? it’s his fault he has no time to throw, it’s his fault he has no deep threat, it’s his fault our defense can’t keep the lead for us, it’s his fault he is a rookie, it’s his fault we lost in 09, It’s his fault Bud Grant is too old to coach. It’s his fault we lost 4 super bowls. It’s just his fault. That is all you see. You cant see the forest from the trees bafoon.

92. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

This guy has done his homework and knows how to portray the Image of Minnesota. He was at the fair wearing a Twins cap, he showed up his first day in a Purple tie, He scoffed at the cold in Green Bay saying he has a job to do whether its cold or not. This guy has the bud grant attitude and you want him gone??? get real pal.

93. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Smarts and leadership go beyond the combine and the draft. Smarts and leadership cannot be developed, you are born with it. Everything from Ponder says he is born with it. He laughed at his scars from last week and basically says bring it on. And you want him gone??? He has the respect of the coaches and the team. He is charismatic. He has the talent in himself, but not around him. Don’t blame him for that you idiot.

94. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Some guys just have it man. Look at Tebow, he wins. Say what you want but he wins, because he has grit and leadership. Thats what wins football games! Watch your Joe Kapp highlights. Poor Poor skillset, but excellent leadership skills and one tough SOB. When I saw Ponder bleeding from the nose and still in the game, when I say him laughing at his facial scars in the Press conference.. I saw a tough guy and a winner. See it and believe it Spence.

95. By vita10gy on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Vikingsfool: I did not. Try reading instead of setting up straw men.

You’re not “playing to lose,” even at the most glib interpretation of my argument its “play to win 2 tomorrow”, but even then is couched in “because a win today doesn’t matter.”

They should play the team that leads to 2 more wins than they other wise would have had in 2012, and 3 more than they otherwise would have had in 2013, etc.

I’d rather have +3 wins, and a playoff berth on what would have been a 9-7 season, in 2-3 seasons, than a win on Sunday, wouldn’t you?

You have to develop talent if you want to get over the hump in this league, and IF (if) *if* that means losing today’s game, then it means losing today’s game. That’s not “playing to lose,” just an acknowledgement that sometimes you have to go through lean times to come out shimmering on the other side.

We’ve seen what bringing in vet after vet refusing to sacrifice a season gets us. Good, never great. If we want a Rodgers/Manning/Brady, in their primes, this is the investment you have to make.

96. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

He has to run for his life every down because the o-line stinks. He has no one to pass to because Rudolph and Harvin are covered great. He gets his arse kicked every game and gets up for more. He never complains and always shoulders the blame for the loss. What more do you want??? This guy has all the makings of the tough guy QB and you want him gone?

97. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

I know dude, that’s what I have been saying. keep playing the rookie and let him play through the lumps and briuses. but you say you’d rather see us lose on sunday to get a better draft pick. That is playing to lose no matter how you dress it up.

98. By Vikingsfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

ok seriously, I gotta get, so you can come out now spence.

99. By NORTHLANDER on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

PONDER IS OUR FUTURE QB PERIOD. WE NEED A O LINE!!!! DONT FOGET ABOUT A SENCONDARY. ALL THESE BIG NAME QBS ARE HAVING HAY DAYS WITH US!!!!

100. By vita10gy on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Again, I didn’t say “I’d rather” anywhere. In all likelihood the Vikings WILL be better off losing Sunday, at the very least in terms of the draft. That’s just a fact. There’s no debating that.

I’m personally not “rooting” for them to lose, but that’s wholly different than knowing they’re better off losing.

So, though it was at best a side point, because playing for the future is it’s own reward, doing everything we can Sunday to win Sunday, at the expense of getting all our youth one more game of live rounds, and the staff one more game to evaluate where we stand, is especially stupid, given it would double hurt our future.

101. By NORTHLANDER on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

NO MATTER WHAT THE TREND IS IN THE NFL THE GAME WILL ALWAYS BE WON IN THE TRENCHES.

102. By VaVikingFan on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Ponder is the guy, we need to build around him. Alshawn Jeffery of SC is a beast, strengthen the o-line and give Ponder more time. With Harvin in the slot and our running backs we could be a pretty strong offense.

103. By Spence on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

VikingsFool why dont you hop off Ponders D—

He played “Good” against the Packers whose Defense is pathetic. Woopty-Doo

104. By VaVikingFan on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Meant to say “Draft Alshawn Jeffery of SC”. Great wide-out.

105. By vita10gy on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Spence,

The point is there’s no reason to expect, and certainly not necessitate, that Ponder should be “Good” or even above average, and history paints that picture again and again. He’s a rookie on a bad team. He should look bad. Anything he does do is gravy.

History isn’t all that kind to the QB’s who did do well their rookie season either in terms of who went on to be good, bad, and serviceable.

The point is we don’t know what we know yet with Ponder. We do know the NFL figures out guys like Webb and Tebow (who’s winning streak was as much about defense, well timed breaks, and coincidence as anything he did)

Throw Webb into a game 70% of the way into it and they might not figure it out by the end of the game, but the league will before long.

106. By Vikingfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Guess What I leave for ten minutes and Spence comes in to badmout while i cannot shoot back. Whata guy you are Spencer. Afraid to fire a shot while I’m here, but not afraid to when I’m not. I bet if you met Ponder on the street you’d ask for his autograph and a picture with him then tell him you believe in his QB play. Man you are something. I’m gonna go again, lets see if you come right back in and mouth off some more. I mean you prove this guy wrong and he just cant take it

107. By Vikingfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

BYE BYE spencer. C ya later

108. By Vikingfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

I’ve had a good time getting in your head today. I bet you go home and kick your dog tonight also. Sorry poochy.

109. By Vikingfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Fact of the matter is this spence. Most in here think you are wrong, but you cannot take that. You have to come back for more and more. That’s why I’m dissing you, you bafoon. you are just a pathetic whiny person, you and some of the other guys in here should start a club. Call it the bedwetters.

110. By Vikingfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Vitaguy, we spell stupid with two OO’s in here. like this…stoopid. See how much funnier that is.

111. By Vikingfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Used in a sentance it goes like this. Spencer is stoopid. See hilarious!

112. By Vikingfool on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Ok I’m gonna go again. You can come out now Spencer.

113. By Spence on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Ponders garbage. Mediocre arm strength, bad pocket presence, if the first guys not open he takes it and runs, he floats the ball, and cant fit the ball into tight places.

114. By NORTHLANDER on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

all three of are qbs have had to run for there lives this year.

115. By Spence on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

And I wouldnt ask for his autograph, I would just ask him to throw to the guys in purple. He seems to forget that the guys on the opposing defense isnt his teammates.

116. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

In preseason they sit the starters to see how the rookies play, and still hope to win the game, though the outcome is doubtful. That’s what we have now – extended rookie evaluation time.

End the dispute and let Sage have a crack at it. At least if he gets hurt, he’s only 3rd string.

117. By NORTHLANDER on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

all three of our qbs have had to run for there lives this year.

118. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

All three of our QBs have had to run for their lives this year.

119. By Spence on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Really? Sage?? Just leave.

120. By NORTHLANDER on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

its the last game of the year. let the rookie play!!

121. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Why have him on the roster if he can’t play?

122. By Regfan on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Webb keeps them guessing…Ponder doesn’t

123. By Spence on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

^THANK YOU!

124. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Webb won’t keep them guessing for a full game. They will key on him running because they know he can’t hit the broad side of a barn.

125. By NORTHLANDER on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Switch QBS every quarter!!

126. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

With as much as they are going to be running for their lives, that’s not a bad idea. At least they get some time to rest.

Whoever does the best plays the 4th quarter.

127. By NORTHLANDER on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

What other positions has Webb played?

128. By vita10gy on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

I like how a knock on Ponder was “if the first option isn’t open he runs” so the solution is to start a guy who doesn’t look for the first option before running.

Ponder can only run the plays that are called. They aren’t exactly calling the same game when Webb is in there. They call plays to Webb’s strengths. They make Ponder sink or swim running the normal offense that doesn’t have the talent in it you need to do such a thing. They’re trying to make Ponder a pocket passer. They let Webb run wild in a perpetual “blazer” package for a quarter or so that the other team didn’t prepare for.

It’s apples and oranges no matter how you slice it.

129. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Webb doesn’t look beyond his first target either before taking off. 54% completion this year shows he’s not spending much time looking for the open receiver. Neither of them are, because they don’t have the time. If we had an O-line that could block, we’d have a “deep threat.” None of our receivers have the time to get more than 20 yards down field before the QB has to throw, dump, or run.

130. By meswant on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

The Vikings made a few big mistakes concerning the qb this season:
    -they should have started Ponder to begin with. Other teams started their rookies without trainning camp & having Ponder learn from mcuseless was very bad!!!!
    -everyone knows (asides for the coaches obviously) that the Vikings o-line sucks big time!!!! If they wanted Ponder to sit on the bench, then why not start Webb who is fast on his feet??
    -they should have brought back Sage instead of mcuseless. Every time Ponder is on the sidelines you see him talking with Sage getting input. When mcuseless was there he did not seem to give Ponder the time of day.

131. By meswant on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

At this point I say sit our big weapons (Harvin for sure) & put some of the other players in to evaluate their play – if they can’t earn their pay check then get rid of them. If the Vikings are keeping Ponder then get him players who can work with him.

132. By SpenceTheTroll on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Every one on this blog is stupid. Every one on this team stinks and is over rated. You people don’t understand how to scout talent like I do. This team needs to trade up so the can draft Luck. And if he doesn’t lead us to the playoffs in his first year than they need to draft Barkley and so on until we find a QB who can lead us to the promise land. Once Peterson is healthy trade him away so we can get a Defensive End that gets it done in the 4th quarter.
    Spence for Gm! Spence for Gm! Spence for Gm! Come on people chant with me! Spence for Gm! Hire Spence for Gm! HIRE SPENCE FOR GM!

133. By NORTHLANDER on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

doesnt matter who we have for a qb if we dont have an o line to protect him!!!

134. By Spence on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

^ No clown. You don’t get a great QB can get it down NO matter who’s blocking for him.

135. By SpenceTheTroll on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

I need to start proof reading before I post I’m starting to make myself look stoopid. Anyways I’m still smarter then most of you and know way more about football.

136. By ozzinator on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

From Vikingsfool – You were born in 98 and are in love with Justin Beiber!! ARRRRR!!

Bwaa ha hah ahah ahaha, thanks for that. Too funny!

137. By Viking Joe on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

The arm strength is overrated, one of the best QB’s of all time comes to mind, Joe Montana had a very average at best arm, but he had pin point accuracy, think about this how often does a team throw the bomb, maybe twice a game, maybe,there are exceptions to this, if a team has a great receiver i.e. Moss, Calvin Johnson who can stretch the field, Tarkenton had an average arm at best and he’s in the Hall of Fame !!! Ponder will be fine given a full preseason and a much better O-line, Webb is a good backup, but if he was a starter teams would game plan for him and probably spy him with a LB or a S.

138. By Spence on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Really……its come to you guys making a name called “SpeceTheTroll”

Stay classy.

139. By SaskatchewanVikesFan on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Whether it is Ponder Or Webb, the fact remains we still need a legit deep threat WR. Teams know we are a running team with the occasional short dump pass or screen. Makes it easy on the opposing secondary!

140. By sandiamond on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

WE are seeing the next Cam Newton evolve right in front of our eyes! Also we will see the next AP on Jan9th with Trent Richardson

Both of the these guys are underclassmen so hold ur horses!

141. By Spence on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

You think Joe Webb is like Cam Newton sandiamond?

142. By sandiamond on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

nope

143. By sandiamond on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Spence there are some similarities but if that was true it would already be identified by this point in his nfl career

144. By Viking Joe on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

That’s high praise sandiamond. Newton is taller , stronger and faster, I hope to see RG3 next season. Regarding Richardson as the next AP,I just don’t see it, AP is an every 10-15 year type talent.

145. By Dirty Nasty Legs on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Let all the Rookies play on Sunday so we can see what tallent we have available going into the draft.

146. By Spence on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

I wanna see a big game out of Toby and Rudolph. Im starting to fall out of favor with Shianco. Hes kinda overrated.

147. By sandiamond on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Joe I just see TR as a prototype of Adrian. His stats at bama are better than what Mark Ingram had. Check out how huge his arms and legs are with no injuries during his time in college. True test coming up against the LSU D

148. By Spence on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Completely agree Diamond. Dude is built like a friggin tank!

149. By Spence on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Plus he NEVER fumbles the rock. He holds it high n tight.
    -But it would be foolish of us to draft him. We have too many other pressing needs. And besides, Toby’s holdin down the fort anyways.

150. By sandiamond on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

yea Spence it has been a dream in the back of of mind to have TR on the vikings roster but it’s not feasible. He has stated several times that he will sit down with Saban and the family to determine his nfl status after the BCS. Who knows maybe we can dream in 2013

151. By NORTHLANDER on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Spence So you dont think we need help on the o line? Get a grip! You dont have a clue about football. Our o line is pathetic!!!! Can you imagine what AP could do with a line that could make holes? Ponder will b able to pick apart defenses if he had time

152. By Spence on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

I said we shouldnt draft a RB because we have too many pressing needs…

153. By Spence on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

O-line is priority #1. Please stop trying to start stuff.

154. By Dueyz on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Ponder is another failed Mark Sanchez experiment. After watching his mechanics this year, his failure to correct his own faults, and his lack of ability to adjust to the NFL, it’s clear that he will only ever be a mediocre QB. The longer we beat our heads against the wall trying to convinve ourselves otherwise, is the longer we fall short. Webb is more athletic, but he is not a franchise QB either. Our future lies in options outside of the conventional thinking we’re using right now.

155. By goldeneagle on Dec 30, 2011 | Reply

Tons of fun reading Spence and Vikingfool go at it. Sorry, but I have to agree more with Vikingfool. Ponder is going to be alright. With a more talented and deeper roster around him–he will shine. The kid is a warrior. Spence, I think Vikingfool forgot more football than you know–but hang in there. True fans will always love their Vikes.

156. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on Dec 30, 2011 | Reply

O-line and secondary are the top priorities. When your ship is sinking you don’t polish the deck, you plug the holes.

157. By lilwildwolf21 on Dec 30, 2011 | Reply

hmmm wouldn’t mine seeing Kelly Moore in Purple and Gold…Winningest QB in College Football….Most TD’s in College Football, Least INTS in COLLEGE FOOTBALL, MOST YARDS IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL, but because he plays for a non-BCS school and wasn’t awarded the Hiesman trophy he may not even get drafted…He is also way better then Pounder will ever be…But its not a need the Vikings are in need of…I would like to see Pounder have some talent to throw too other then Harvin and Shanicoe…But I would also like to see the Vikings stop being a run first and pass never team as well…Its funny how announcer say how easy it is to pass because of all the rule changes…Its also funny how a team like the Packers don’t have a running game at all can go almost undefeated for the season…Maybe we should learn from other teams and combine our thinking and their thinking together…just a thought. Skol Vikings

158. By Spence on Dec 30, 2011 | Reply

Kelly Moore is not the answer.
    -Go Home.

159. By campfrazier on Dec 30, 2011 | Reply

hey people I have a thought for you too consider and I surely would like to get some comments/thoughts.

Remember Ponder was doing really well in his first few starts and if you take a hard look and say to yourself what has changed? hmmmm…. ……………..Mcnabb is gone! yeah Mcnabb was performing very very poorly, but remember why they had brought him here in the first place, mentor Ponder, right. and sometimes there are people in your own life that can talk a excellent game but cant perform doesnt mean their advice isnt good just they cant perform it themselves. so maybe thats what happened with Ponder, he doesnt have Mcnabbs point of view/input and now he is struggling, it could be why Ponder”s performance is lacking recently, I mean lets face it Mcnabb has had tons of experience love him or hate him, what do you others here think????? and just to get on the subject of Webb, his performance is kinda like a qoute by Bruce Lee ” sometimes the hardest fighters to fight are the one that don’t know hoe to fight” , meaning, you have no idea what to expect, I mean Webb spent one year behind Farve, so by all accounts he should be performing better that Ponder, but its a Tad more unconventional, but remember he also has limited experience, started how many games??? what like 2 or something like that, so how can anyone even judge Joe Webb. he is still a Rookie in that sense also, and the Musgrave system is new to him, nothing like the Child-dress mess. so really, land any QB thats at the top of an A game, Brady, Manning, Brees, they all took there Lumps and sucked something awful in there first year so what gives., its the way it is, so yeah comments people/followups???????????????????

160. By campfrazier on Dec 30, 2011 | Reply

sorry for the awful grammar and punctuation, i was on a roll, LOL!!!!

161. By SpenceBelievesInWebb on Dec 30, 2011 | Reply

I cant take any Vikings fan seriously whose name is “Campfrazier”

162. By campfrazier on Dec 30, 2011 | Reply

wow another Hater. Umm lets see Bill Belichick first year losing season, Chuck Knoll, first year losing season, Bud Grant first year losing season, ummm shall I go on????

Why would anyone judge another by a name? What does that say about a person?????????? thanks for the love.

163. By Spence on Dec 30, 2011 | Reply

Get out of here. I hate off of no man. You are a clown like everybody else.

164. By campfrazier on Dec 30, 2011 | Reply

and you would know what a clown is, you see one in the mirror everyday

165. By Spence on Dec 30, 2011 | Reply

Somebody please buy me football for dummies cause I don’t know a lot about football but hey I’m still learnig.

166. By Jon on Dec 30, 2011 | Reply

This “other teams weren’t prepared for him” garbage people keep spewing out to try to explain away Joe’s success on the field is ridiculous. His style of play is no different from Ponder’s. They are both mobile, pass-first quarterbacks. They use the same playbook. The only differences between them are as follows: a. Joe is a more accurate passer b. Joe reads defenses better c. Joe is faster d. Joe doesn’t get happy feet and freak out. e. Joe is and will always be a better football player. But the game-planning for them is exactly the same.

PLUS, the Lions went the whole week thinking Joe would start, and he still almost won that game despite Ponder giving the Lions a few touchdowns. And the Lions certainly weren’t thrown by Ponder’s surprise start, so the gameplan obviously wasn’t that different.

I think everyone realizes Joe is the better player, but Ponder will continue to start because he is more expensive. That sucks. But it won’t change. Go Blazers.

167. By Spence on Dec 30, 2011 | Reply

jon webb is grate although he was drafted in the 6th round pick 199 overall as a project hes grate

168. By frank on Dec 30, 2011 | Reply

lets not forget that ponder has played more games and yet webb out preforms him, also how many years has webb played 2 and he is playing like he could be a franchise QB i could be wrong but you got to admit he is playing great football right now.

169. By DRS on Dec 30, 2011 | Reply

why not HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER?
    WHY NOT HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER?
    HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER!!!
    Hire a general manager. HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER!!!
    W H Y N O T ? ? ? THAT WILL FIX PONDERS PROBLEMS

170. By TITANIUM TITUS on Dec 30, 2011 | Reply

I CONPLELTEY AGREE

why not HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER?
    WHY NOT HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER?
    HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER!!!
    Hire a general manager. HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER!!!
    W H Y N O T ? ? ?

171. By Vikingsfool on Dec 30, 2011 | Reply

why not HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER?
    WHY NOT HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER?
    HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER!!!
    Hire a general manager. HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER!!!
    W H Y N O T ? ? ?

172. By sandiamond on Dec 30, 2011 | Reply

why not HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER?
    WHY NOT HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER?
    HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER!!!
    Hire a general manager. HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER!!!
    WE HAV TAH DEW THIS GANG

173. By diduwatch on Dec 30, 2011 | Reply

We clearly haven’t played to win this year – Mcnabb and now Ponder. Sure I think Ponder can make it in the league, but he’s green and we don’t have a line to protect a “classic” quarterback. We should be playing Webb instead. In the few games Webb has played, he’s consistently made plays to win. Look at our win against the eagles last year, the win against the skins (without Peterson), and the comeback against the biatch lions that we should’ve won (facemask). And Frazier can’t ignore Webb’s performance anymore, mentioning after the skins game that they need to evaluate him as the future quarterback. The bottom line is that we have played Ponder to rationalize the money and draft pick spent. But we aren’t the only team to have done this. Refer to Kurt Warner and Matt Lienart. I’ll see the rest of you Viking fans in LA in a year or two…

174. By vikingsfan on Dec 30, 2011 | Reply

Vikingsfool, get a life. 70% of the comments on this post are from you. You even went so far as to make a SpenceTheTroll account? Real cool.

175. By griffin on Dec 31, 2011 | Reply

they need to start webb he has shown he can play much better than ponder and can win…

176. By jenr on Dec 31, 2011 | Reply

Why are they starting Ponder so he can throw some interceptions and then have Joe Webb come in and clean up! Start Joe Webb!

177. By Pud Grand on Dec 31, 2011 | Reply

Hey Ponder! Get drunk tonight! Get in your car, drive to the bar! When the cops stop you, tell them that you’re related to Tommy Kramer…

178. By Lance Vombardee on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

Yeah Green Bay we are grate and the bestest team in the nfl we well win the supper bowl aggain

179. By Carl on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

First of all Viking Joe i say play Joe Webb and see what he has for a full game but the Vikes wont do that because they want to keep him as ana insurance policy incase Ponder does not work out. I also think they should keep Rosenfels we will eventually need him. The vikes should make it a good game but loose and get the third round pick and trade Clevland for there 2 first rounders with the #7 pick take Reiff i saw him play yesterday he kept his man at bay and off his QB also nice run blocker. Then with the #22 or#23 pick i look for Minnifield CB out of Virginia or if he slides up the board Jones WR North Carolina. Then with our 2nd round pick Zeiter OG Wisconsin. Then with our 3rd round pick Lester FS Alabama. With this move you might be able to move Raymond to CB/S he is a valuble asset to have. If we get a comp 3rd rounder Banks CB Mississippi State. Our 4th rounder A.J. Jenkins WR Illinois. Then with our 5th rounder Matt Reynolds OT B.Y.U. Rds 6-7 Depth any where. Even before all of this in F/A go after Landry SS Wash, Nicks OG N.O., Bowe WR K.C., Carr CB K.C. But before we can do any of that get rid of big contracts Hutchinson,Herrera,Griffin,Sanford,Adoyle. Dont resign Shaincoe,E.J. Henderson. Possibly Winfield.

180. By geiber on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

you guys are so dumb saying to start Webb. The man is not a QB just because he did great for 2 games 2nd halves does not mean we should start him. Remember the NFC title game last year when Caleb Hannie played great would you all of signed him for a life contract 500 million becuase that is what you are basically doing with Webb, how did Caleb do this year when Cutler went down…Self Explanatory.

181. By Viking Joe on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

Carl, ????? Neither QB can do good behind that offensive line.