Vikings, Ramsey County Move Forward With New Stadium Plans

Posted by Mike Wobschall on December 20, 2011 – 3:42 pm

Vikings Owner Zygi Wilf meets with Governor Dayton and legislative leaders

On Tuesday, the Ramsey County Board passed its third positive vote on the potential new publicly-owned stadium project in Arden Hills, this time approving a “Request for Qualifications for Architectural and Engineering Services.”  Passing 4-3, the vote means the County can move forward with soliciting interested architects who may be approved to design the stadium.

“Today’s action by the Ramsey County Board is further evidence of our strong partnership with the County and is another step in moving this process forward in Arden Hills,” said Vikings Vice President of Stadium Development Lester Bagley. “The sooner we take action, the better chance we have of opening the stadium in 2015. We can also prevent millions of dollars in cost delays and put thousands of people back to work as soon as possible.”

The Tuesday vote came the morning after Vikings Owner Zygi Wilf and Vikings officials met with Governor Mark Dayton and several legislators. Gathering at the Governor’s residence on Monday night, the Vikings, Governor Dayton and legislators discussed the latest on the stadium effort, the urgency to resolve the issue and the need to bring forward a legislative package for consideration in January.

The Vikings and Ramsey County also released two new conceptual images today depicting the various uses that could be developed around the proposed new stadium in Arden Hills.

Tags:

42 Responses to “Vikings, Ramsey County Move Forward With New Stadium Plans”

1. By Matthew Wilfahrt on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

I hope this is going to be solve because i’m a diedhard fan and so we can keep the vikings in minnesota and also i would like to say one thing to the owner you are doing your best to win the games and hope you have a meeting with the football team tell them they try there best and say there is good things to come next season so i will cross my finger for the new stadium and always thank the vikings football team for trying there best so i would like everyone to know it is hard to play when you lose games and when we win games it make it easy sometimes so i hope most of them would come back next season Go vikings in 2012 see you next season

2. By Viking Joe on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

Let’s get it built, it looks interesting.

3. By phil on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

I WISH the Vikings would have an outdoor stadium!!! It’s cheaper and our team would become tougher! Vikings have not been the same since getting a dome!!!

4. By TITANIUM TITUS on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

Looks like something they might build in New York, California, or Texas. But Minnesota? The attitude here will not go for such a colossal, elegant, and fantastic structure/complex. What a boon to the whole area it would be. I was here and cringing when lawmakers argued over the dome– oh, let’s go with the economical design– that is sufficient, they all agreed– Minnesota– stop settling!!!

5. By Todd C on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

I live 5 minutes from Arden Hills and I am praying the stadium is built there. I need a job. I also bleed purple. Tony Bennett and Ortega, you guys ROCK!!!!! Keep up the good work.

6. By VikesFan on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

they said that the stadium will have a removable roof. so they can play outside

7. By VikesFan on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

what do you mean @TITANIUM TITUS? it will go with minnesota it looks like a beast stadium design

8. By VikesFan on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

alot of it is outdoors, thats what i like about the design it fits minnesota

9. By Parody on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

I’m all for any stadium at this point, but Arden Hills looks to be like a much better option than any of the others. I just wish that they’d stop pushing back the decision and get this thing done ASAP.

10. By TITANIUM TITUS on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

HA HA HA HA– do people even know how to read anymore? What is wrong with our educational system. Missed my point entirely.

11. By Viking Joe on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

Hopefully it will be passed and built by 2015.

12. By Tim on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

@ TITANIUM TITUS or titus quit being such a joy ki!l. All you do is complain about any kind of effort that goes in to building the new stadium.

13. By TITANIUM TITUS on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

What are you talking about Tim? I want the stadium– as I said, it would be a boon to the whole area– I also said the design is a colossal, fantastic, and elegant structure/complex. Did you read my post?

14. By TITANIUM TITUS on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

Maybe the money needs to go into the schools.

15. By VegasVike on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

Haha Titus, I read your post and understood it completely. Hopefully the powers to be learned from their frugal design of the Metrodome and it’s amenities, or lack of… I do have one question however. In one of the winter renderings it shows firepits and dining patios with heaters, you with me? Would people really sit outside in zero degree weather and dine? I can fathom an outdoor stadium in the dead of winter but dining??? How would you like your steak sir? Uh, medium frozen please!

16. By VegasVike on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

I guess I’ve become a desert rat at heart.

17. By Frederick Jones on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

To my fine feathered friends,

Tarvaris Jackson is 235 of 387 (60.8%) 2706 yards 12 tds, 12 ints., and he plays for the hopeless SeaHawks!

Jackson may yet be a great QB in this league.
    The Vikings should have kept him, along with S. Rice.

HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER!!!

18. By Frederick Jones on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER!!!

19. By Frederick Jones on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

***HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER!!!

20. By Frederick Jones on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

() () HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER!!!

21. By Frederick Jones on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

_________HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER!!!

22. By Frederick Jones on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

————————–HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER!!!!!!!

23. By Frederick Jones on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

&&&&&& HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER============================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================

24. By VegasVike on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

What’s that Fred??

25. By TITANIUM TITUS on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

Vegas– NO, I am with you. I noticed that as well– I magnified that part of the image to make sure I was seeing correctly– patio dining in Minneapolis in winter? Ha ha ha. I would do it though– not sure if my dates would like it. I was in Phoenix in mid July a couple years ago and it was near record heat– 118 in the afternoon— and it was the reverse of Mpls– all the patios were closed and everyone sat indoors in the AC– I thought– man, back home, the outdoor patios would have mobs trying to fight for an outdoor table– so it is all relative. I also know what you mean about you being cold right now — when I came back to Mpls, it was in the low 80s and I actually felt a bit chilly– I was shocked until I put it in perspective– 118 minus 82– about 40 degree difference.

26. By TITANIUM TITUS on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

Oh, btw, thanks Vegas for your reading comprehension skills.

27. By TITANIUM TITUS on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

Fred, as Sgt Carter use to say– I CANNNNNNNN”T HEAAAAR YOOUUUUUUUU!!!!

28. By Garrett on Dec 21, 2011 | Reply

Good riddance to T Jack. So glad he is gone.

29. By ak on Dec 21, 2011 | Reply

who thinks we should start joe webb at qb or wr
    pull out ponder he was a reach

30. By wacky on Dec 21, 2011 | Reply

PONDER SUCKS MORE THEN T-JACK!!!!! WHAT ARE THEY THINKING?????????? DRAFT A REAL QB WITH THE FIRST PICK. WE HAVE ARE CHANCE TO GET ONE NOW! DRAFT A QB AND TRADE PONDER!

31. By DRS on Dec 21, 2011 | Reply

Everyone no QB will be any good with this team, no one. This team has no O-line, defense, and questionable coaching. There is no one to lead this team when it comes to drafting and free agencies. We need one person in charge, like a GM. This team needs a new home like the stadium that is proposed; this team has never been the same team it was when it was playing in the old Metropolitan Stadium, 4 SB’s in the Met, 0 SB’s in the dome, nothing more to say about that. The new Stadium needs to be outside the twin cities for the very reason that the Met was; more room to tailgate and for parking, with being close to the cities for all their amenities.

Everyone have a great day.

32. By Viking Joe on Dec 21, 2011 | Reply

Sidney Rice had only one good season, and that’s because of Favre, Rice is way to injury prone and fragile.
    Hire a COMPETENT GM !!!!

33. By Viking33 on Dec 21, 2011 | Reply

I am not opposed to thinking outside the Box and trading Ponder for draft pix and grabbing RG3. However, Ponder is not bad either, and has a lot of promise….so 6 of 1 half a dozen of the other – you decide. I watched a lot of RG3 this year and that kid is a natural talent – he seems to have his head on straiight too. If you notice during a game this is what happens –> Ponder drops back to pass, looks at his first option then either throws it there or his next read…….which right now is looking at the pass rush that is about to kill him. I saw Brees Sunday go through all his reads and then start over again!!! It is not fair to judge Ponders QB progression with no protection. Our Pass rush and coverage is a Novel in its own right.

34. By Viking33 on Dec 21, 2011 | Reply

Good news on the Stadium though – very exciting stuff. Minnesota needs an attraction like that – looks pretty cool, regardless of what Titus says — haha!! I’ll have my Steak tartar outside with a Hot Buttered Rum to warm it up!!

35. By Viking33 on Dec 21, 2011 | Reply

All Vikes fans should watch Thursday December 29th @ 8 pm Central – RG3 and the Baylor Bears vs. Washington. See for yourselves what this kid can do. He is my Timmy Tebow – I am looking for an RG3 action figure , does Tim Tebow have an action figure yet – I am sure he does and I am sure it glows. ( For the people that cannot discern – I am kidding about the action figures – I am working on life size dolls now, I think it will replace the Fathead for sure….again just kidding )

36. By TITANIUM TITUS on Dec 21, 2011 | Reply

VIiking33– what is with this comment of yours? Do you know how to read:

looks pretty cool, regardless of what Titus says

Scroll up and read, then read again, and then re-read. I said this is a fantastic, elegant, and colossal structure/complex that would be a boon to the whole area.

My exact words from my post. You do not understand my point at all– ask some of the other bloggers, like Vegas, to help with reading comprehension.

37. By Viking33 on Dec 21, 2011 | Reply

@ Titus – I understood your post completely – I was merely messing with you because the other dude couldn’t figure it out and I thought it was funny you had to explain it to him a coulpe of times. I am not sure anybody named Vegas who presumably lives in Vegas can help with comprehension, I have been there too many times.

38. By TITANIUM TITUS on Dec 21, 2011 | Reply

Cool– I figured if one didn’t understand, a herd stood quietly nearby.

39. By VegasVike on Dec 22, 2011 | Reply

@Viking33 – I iz a produck uf tha minnasoda skool sistem so I fin I iz farly well edgeikated.
    @Titus – thanks for acknowledging my ability to comprehend, apparently some smug bloggers feel geographic location dictates an individuals brain power. I’ll start pointing out mis spelled words more often. Put my high school education to use!

40. By RP-ETF-MV on Dec 22, 2011 | Reply

We need this stadium, I agree that the Vikings haven’t been the same since moving to the dome. We need to bring back The Purple People Eaters.

41. By Rogerthevikefan on Dec 22, 2011 | Reply

RG III, Matt Barkley, and Andrew Luck would be killed behind this OLine. Brees, P. Manning, and Brady would get destroyed with the 6’7 traffic cone and Charlie Johnson as their OT. Build a D@ MN Oline and Ponder will do great.

42. By Woodboat on Dec 22, 2011 | Reply

@wacky…

NO ONE knows what Ponder’s potential is. What we’ve seen from him this year was massively affected by the deplorable play of the O Line. I’m not saying that he’s gonna light the league up, I have no idea. But YOU have no idea what he’s going to be, either, so lets not be so quick to throw him under the bus….