Ponder’s Chances To Play Sunday Hinge On Friday’s Practice

Posted by Mike Wobschall on December 9, 2011 – 7:25 am

Vikings QB Christian Ponder injured his hip during last Sunday’s game against the Denver Broncos, but he was able to play through the pain and finish the game. Whether Ponder is able to play through the injury again this weekend in Detroit hinges largely on Friday’s practice.

Ponder has not participated in practice yet this week, and Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier said his rookie QBs status will be in serious doubt if he’s not able to go through any of Friday’s workout.

“If he’s not able to do anything [Friday], it’d be hard pressed for us to put him in the game,” Frazier said. “We’d need to see him take some snaps and move around a little bit to make a decision about him playing.”

It shouldn’t come as a big surprise if Ponder is able to practice through the injury on Friday and ultimately suit up on Sunday. He has a history of playing through pain and injury going back to his days at Florida State when, as his former head coach Jimbo Fisher described, trainers would have to cut his elbow pad off his arm after games because of inflammation.

As able and willing as Ponder is to play through injury, though, Frazier stressed the importance of a QB being able to protect himself in the pocket. And that’s why the Vikings may not be willing to play him in a game until he demonstrates an ability to move around during practice.

“It’s just a matter of can he do the things he has to do as a quarterback,” Frazier explained. “One of the things he’s done so well is escape pressure with his mobility. So if he can handle that part of it…The mental part, he’s exceptional when it comes to that. He’ll get that. It’s a matter of ‘Can I protect myself if for some reason things break down?’”

Ponder’s offensive coordinator, Bill Musgrave, is a former NFL QB and he explained the impact a lower-body injury can have on a QB.

“The quarterbacks that I’ve been around in my experience, it’s tougher to play when you’re hurt from the waist down than hurt from the waist up,” Musgrave said. “When you throw, it starts with your foundation and rhythm and tempo that’s established with your footwork so you can get by more readily with a jammed finger or a sore elbow or a sprained shoulder than you can with something that happened down there at your foundation.”

We’ll know a lot more about Ponder’s status around noon on Friday, so stay tuned to vikings.com for an update from Frazier after practice.

Tags: , ,

64 Responses to “Ponder’s Chances To Play Sunday Hinge On Friday’s Practice”

1. By Parody on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

It’s not a matter of if things break down, it’s a matter of how many times it breaks down.

2. By Deertracks on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Frazier! @#$%***&*! Play Webb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. By Ricky on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Dear Coach,
    I want the Vikings to beat the Lions! Enough is enough! All my folks like football – my dad likes it, I like it. Please, I’m so angry about the fooling around – you can’t fool around in football. I want the VIkings to win again – stop, stop, stop, stop losing! Right now, I’m finished, I’m done, it’s over, done is done.

Ricky

4. By Twoodsnvikes on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

I wouldn’t mind seeing Webb again for S and Gs I guess but I think Ponder will go

5. By Shawn on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

The Viking front office has played a mind trick on us …

I found myself hoping Asher Allen will play.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

our secondary is so bad IM HOPING ASHER ALLEN PLAYS

I will not be fooled …

Viking Secondary = WORST SECONDARY IN FOOTBALL

I have had to watch Tim Tebow highlights all week on NFL Network and listen to how Tebow has turned into a pa’sser … OUR SECONDARY MADE TEBOW LOOK LIKE A PA’SSER

Where is the pride in our front office ????????

6. By Shawn on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Mike Wobschall … Do our coaches and VPs know that we play in the same division as Aaron Rodgers and Calvin Johnson ????

Wouldnt an above average IQ think …. I better have a good secondary ???

Maybe you should let someone know in Winter Park that we have to play Aaron Rodger of the GB P3ckers and Calvin Johnson of the Detroit Lions a total of 4 times a year ….

Seems nobody at winter park is aware of who our oponents are …

7. By Viking33 on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Webb – Why play Webb? Ponder needs to play, if he can play and protect himself, he needs to go. AP wants to play, and he should if he is able. I too am hoping Asher Allen plays, just to confirm that we will not get any better with him out there either. Please waive Camirillo and bring up Arcinaeux – Camirillo is not in our plans for the future.

8. By Twoodsnvikes on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

B. Sapp: 5 embarra ssments
    C. Johnson: Gives up 3 sacks
    Loadholt: 2 false starts
    AVG Detroit Receiver cushion from MN DB: 5 yards
    Musgrave: 15 predictable draws for 1 yard or less

10. By VegasVike on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Let ponder rest, all he can do is get injured. Play Webb and show the other teams his talent then trade him for a draft pick or two.

11. By Deertracks on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

@viking33…Why play Joe Webb? Answer..Because he is just as good as Ponder, thats why..And, because Ponder won’t be able to protect himself. (Read, NO Offensive line)..You want Ponder to get hurt again?

Ponder needs to heal up, sit him one *&%#! game! Let Webb light up the Detroit Sky…

12. By Deertracks on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

@VegasVike…No trading of Webb! Trade Ponder for a draft pick or two…

13. By Shawn on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Guys Webb is not a great QB and never would be … he might be in the same league as Tim Tebow but hes not as good as Ponder

I am a huge Joe Webb fan and want to see him on the field but not at “STARTING” QB

Webb should be our Kordell Stewart …

14. By Deertracks on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

VegasVike…@*&+*$#!!!!

15. By Shawn on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Webb should wear #3 … and be our 3rd WR and our 3rd QB

16. By Deertracks on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Shawn…You must have bought your Crystal ball the same store Mike B. did! How in the Blue Blazes can you say Webb will never be a Quarterback?

Go buy a can of polish, and shine up your Crystal Ball!

17. By Viking33 on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

@deertracks – so you don’t like Webb then? You want him to get hurt behind that OL? I liked Webb from the beginning, it was a true athlete draft pick. He was Drafted as a WR he should never have been made a QB, by Brad Childress, he should have been a WR/Return man –> ala Josh Cribbs. If that had happened and he had put the work in as WR, right now we probably wouldn’t be looking to draft one next year or pick up one as a FA. Trade Ponder? Why would you trade Ponder? Webb is not a better QB than Ponder.

18. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Shawn, you know better than to confuse others with actual logic.

19. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Webb is another T-Jack in the making. He’s not going to take any team to the SB. It would be much better to re-dedicate him to the receiver position, especially now that we have Rosenfels to back up Ponder.

20. By DesertViking on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Can we please put Loadholt on the bench? He’s going to get Ponder killed.

21. By Shawn on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Desert Viking …. Charlie Johnson is far worse than Loadholt. Im not defending Loadholt … Im just saying

22. By Skip Bayless on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

You guys must enjoy talking about how terrible you’re team is. Clearly there is nothing to do in minnesota except complain. Take some vitamin D and hit the ski hills, or take your old lady out to dinner and a movie. The world still turns if nobody watches the travisty known as the Vikings.

23. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Why don’t they fine the players for penalties and missed blocks and tackles? See if hitting them in the pocket book will improve performance? $1000/yard of penalty, $5000 for blowing a block that results in our QB getting sacked, $10000 for allowing a sack that results in an injury, $6000 for missing a tackle that results in a TD.

Make players EARN their paycheck, and penalize them for poor performance. Then, if they don’t improve, bench/trade them.

24. By NorthwoodsVikesFan on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Skip, just waiting for the ice to get thick enough for fishing. Not much else to do this time of year.

25. By Skip Bayless on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Aren’t you guys used to losing by now? Will the Vikings win another game this year? Doubtful. Will they make the playoffs next year? Highly unlikely. Should they get used to losing? Yeah, that would be the rational thing to do.

26. By Skip Bayless on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

That’s a great way to take your mind off of a bad football team. Sitting over a hole in the ice. Sounds enthralling.

27. By Jon Gruden on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Skip Bayless is a real coward and knows nothing about football, apparently his team is much worse than the Vikings to be trolling their site

28. By Kalishnakov on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

haha skip is douche

29. By Kalishnakov on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

We will have a chance to slap lovie smith in the face at the end of the year, now that they are without forte and cutler, Its up to our team to return the favor at their home stadium, plus the redskins, I believe in 2 more wins this season.

30. By Derrick.G on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Does Webb even have a passing td yet? I know hes rushed for a few.

31. By Rudso on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

STOP CRYING! My god are you guys Vikings fans or not? I know it’s frustrating because we’re losing close games but all this negativity is getting old. Why not just find another team to cheer for instead of complaining? I hear the Packers are accepting fans, you might even be able to buy some shares if there is any left. And don’t give me that “I’ve been a Vikings fan for 25 years, I’m tired of seeing them lose” than leave! There are 31 other teams out there to pick from.

32. By Viking Joe on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

That’s why no one likes Bayless, he’s never coached or played the sport of football.

33. By Deertracks on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

@Vinking33…No, don’t want anybody hurt, except maybe the worthless 0L…Then just maybe we would see a few backup OL people show us what they have!

If Webb ever is traded to another Team, We would sure as HILL see him at some time in the future, kicking our butts! Just like Arron Rodgers…

Northwoods…Dig a few holes for me, then we can tell each other lies of how big those Walleyes were last year, the ones that got away that is…

34. By Derrick.G on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Its freedom of speech Rudso, and if fans want to voice their displeaseure like any normal fan would do in this situation, then let them.

35. By Derrick.G on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Hey Rudso, im a good fan! I love being at the bottom of the barrel! WOOOHOOO! Thats what u want right?

36. By stonet on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Whoever wants to trade Ponder is ridiculous, you’re being a baby about the season we’ve had. We saw Webb play and he isn’t going to light anybody up as a qb, he’s talented so lets use him somewhere

37. By Kalishnakov on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

I aint whinin, I be positive always even in a losing season I can see the bright side, high draft picks which can be traded away for a bundle of picks. And I do see 2 more wins on the vikings schedule, unfortunately they come at the end of the season but o well.

38. By Rudso on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

We all know our secondary sucks and I’m sure the Vikings will address this issue heavy in the draft and/or free agency but what are they suppose to do NOW with a few games left in the season? They got Sapp back, we lost our #1 and #2 corner, what did you guys expect from our secondary? It’s bad enough the Vikings have only won 2 games but it doesn’t help to come on here and see a bunch of crying Vikings fans.

Look on the bright side, at least we are going to get a top 3 pick this draft and probably use it on a franchise player. The Vikings have a good record using their 1st round pick. Dry your tears.

39. By Kalishnakov on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

We all need to Lobby for LaRon Landry FA of the redskins, plays FS dudes a ball hawk and could out perform every DB currently on our roster.

40. By CA_Viking_fan on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Let Ponder heal. Our o-line will likely cause him to get injured further. He won’t be able to scramble like he can, and let’s face it, he will be running for his life. Please don’t risk a more serious injury. There are no playoff hopes and it’s just not worth the risk

41. By Deertracks on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

So far, looks like the only thing that got away is the Vikings…

42. By Kalishnakov on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

43. By Rudso on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Derrick, no I don’t want the Vikings to be at the bottom of the barrel but when was the last time we were last in our division? Maybe it’s a good thing that the Vikings get a taste of 4th place for one season. I would like to think the Vikings have pride and will make sure that doesn’t happen next season.

I appreciate everyone opinion but how about seeing the glass as half full for a change? Even if the Vikings finished 8-8 they wouldn’t make the playoffs with the way Greenbay is playing so I will gladly take a Top 3 player from college if were not going to make the playoffs anyways.

Derrick, who do you think the Vikings should target if they have a Top 5 pick?

44. By Kalishnakov on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

This one the announce Calls Landry a Polamalu clone!! Dude is a beast. We need him in Our DEFENSIVE BACK FIELD start lobbying for landry at home games!!!!

45. By Kalishnakov on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

than with our first pick we can pick up Matt kalil outta USC or Justin Blackmon receiver from OSU

46. By DuaneN on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

LOL at Allen’s comments about Detroit and New Orleans.

47. By stonet on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Landry makes you pay if you catch the ball in front of him, our safeties don’t have the chance to do that because they usually aren’t within 10 yds of who just caught the ball

48. By Rudso on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Kali, I agree for Landry to the Vikings. We have 3 major needs that ALL need to somewhat addressed this off-season: OL, WR and CB/FS/SS. If we can take care of our Safety need with Landry the Vikings could use that top 5 pick on a franchise LT or the best WR in college.

If Kalil is in the draft, I would like to see the Vikings take him with the first pick. If he stays in college, I wouldn’t mind WR Blackmon at all! I see him as an improvement from Rice. Peterson, Blackmon, Harvin, Rudolph and Ponder would make for a VERY explosive offense. Either way, I’m pretty excited with who ever we take in the first round. When was the last time we had a top 5 pick?

49. By Kalishnakov on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

EXACTLY @stonet NO MORE BIG PLAYS BUT CUTLER RODGERS OR STAFFORD UNLESS THEY WANT THEY RECEIVERS BLOWN THE F*#$ UP

50. By Kalishnakov on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

@ Rudso I know the last time we had a top 10 pick and that was the year we drafted AP.

51. By Deertracks on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

stonet…Only reson I said trade Ponder was because a number of posters are all yelling “Trade Webb”…thought I would just jab a few of them with a sharp stick…

Joe not QB material? Guess you didn’t see Last years Viking–Detroit game, even Chris Collingsworth and Al Michaels calling the game, thought Webb done a very good job, even tho we lost…

52. By Rudso on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Kalishnakov, my point exactly. Fine, were not going to make the playoffs, but a possible Pro-Bowl/HOF player isn’t all that bad. The Packers have Woodson, Jets have Revis and the Eagles have that other guy, I’m not even going to try to spell his name. Kirkpatrick and Claiborne are potential shut down corners.

I honestly think Kirkpatrick has VIKING written all over him. Physical corner, with good cover skills and excellent tackling skills, not to mention the kid is 6’2! If his going as the #2 corner after Claiborne, I wouldn’t mind if the Vikings traded down a bit to pick him and use possibly another first round or second round pick from trading down on a Safety, OL or a top 5 WR from this draft.

Kirkpatrick will learn from Winfield for a the few years he has left in the game and will haunt Rodgers, Stafford and Cutler for years to come. Not to mention the he brings a lot of attitude to his position. Watch his highlights of the Penn game.

53. By Shawn on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

I want on the Laron Landry bus. Not because of the highlight vids, i knew he was good but I didnt know we might have a shot at him

Could you imagine ..

Round 1 Kalil-LT
    Round 2 … best available CB ( would be same quality as Chris Cook / meaning right about the same spot we drafted Chris Cook )
    Round 3 … Marvin McNutt

FA … Laron Landry-FS

WOW … Vikings could go from worst to first.

54. By Kalishnakov on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

@Shawn I have been waiting for LaRon Landry to become a Unrestricted FA since he was drafted, this is that year.
    @Rudso that is one option of going, I think Dre could be picked up mid 1st late 1st

I would really like an OL though for that first pick or if we did trade down pick up 2 new OL

55. By Regfan on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Asher Allen could restore the Vikings to their former glory,as my hero Troy Williamson could..Frazier!!

56. By Frederick Jones on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

The Vikings are like GM and Chrysler before those companies went bankrupt.
    It was design by committee.

Both of these companies had great designs for their cars, the problem was that they were fighting amongst themselves.

Buick against Cadillac

Dodge against Plymouth

They were not sharing parts and other resources.

The Vikings are the same way. I have been saying for months:
    NO ONE PERSON COULD BE THAT DUMB.

The Vikings must come up with a way to organize their company in a way where they are not competing against one another.

Don’t do it my way, I’m just a stupid fan. But get it done!!!

57. By 25yearsaviking on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Deerpoops, Here is Joe’s stats from last year. Give it a rest man! ( 0 TD)

SEASON TEAM GP CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD LNG INT FUM RAT
    2010 MIN 5 54 89 60.7 477 5.36 0 46 3 1 60.9

58. By Deertracks on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

25yearswithmyheadupyoura$$…Making or not making TD’s has nothing to with the excellant play Joe had when he was given a chance to get on the field!!

The way you sling those numbers around, it’s no surprise that you can’t catch your a$$ with both hands!!!

59. By Deertracks on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

25 years with the Vikings? More like 25 years in the Stillwater prison…

60. By Derrick.G on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Rudso, I’m not a college football viewer at all, but I hear Kalil is a good way to go for the line, or maybe a WR, if we can get somebody who gets open really fast, the o line “might” look better. Secondary needs so much work its not even funny….

61. By Derrick.G on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Well……it is funny to watch….but still hurts.

62. By Bigfan1 on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Looks like the Colts will get Heisman winning qb Griffin III. Of course, it would be a waste if Manning plays for the next five years and he sits on the bench. Too bad the Vikes couldn’t pick up Griffith and have two promising qbs. The Vikings always says best player available, if the Colts pick someone else I wonder if the Vikes will take the Heisman winner?

63. By Bigfan1 on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Reality is probably Blackmon (WR), Claiborne (CB), or Kalil (OT) in round 1.

64. By Bigfan1 on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Of course last time the Vikes traded up to get Toby when they already had the best running back in the league, so picking Griffith if he’s available could happen. This guy is very fun to watch, he has 4.5 speed and throws accurately. Who knows, I’d love to be in the war room come April.