Peterson, Ponder Will Be Questionable On Injury Report

Posted by Mike Wobschall on December 9, 2011 – 12:49 pm

Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier met with reporters after practice on Friday and disclosed that both RB Adrian Peterson and QB Christian Ponder will be listed as questionable on the week’s final injury report. The NFL’s injury reporting guidelines dictate that the tag “questionable” means a 50-50 chance of playing.

Both players practiced on Friday as they look to make a push to Sunday’s game against the Lions. Peterson is battling an ankle injury sustained in Week 11 against the Raiders, while Ponder is trying to overcome a hip injury sustained last week against the Denver Broncos.

Peterson returned to the practice field on Thursday, a big step in his recovery from the injury. His status won’t be certain until 90 minutes prior to kickoff. Ponder missed practice on Wednesday and Thursday, but came back to practice on Friday and stayed afterward for more individual work. Frazier said it may require another look at Ponder before the game to make a determination on his status, but a similar additional look at Peterson may not be needed.

Aside from Peterson and Ponder, all other Vikings on the Friday injury report are all probable for Sunday’s game.  The list includes: Asher Allen (shoulder), Chad Greenway (elbow), Everson Griffen (quadriceps), Percy Harvin (finger), E.J. Henderson (shoulder), Anthony Herrera (knee), Steve Hutchinson (illness), Brian Robison (concussion), and Visanthe Shiancoe (hand).

For the Lions, DE Lawrence Jackson is out; S Louis Delmas (knee) and CB Chris Houston (knee) are doubtful; LB Justin Durant (hamstring), DT Nick Fairley (foot), and RB Kevin Smith (ankle) are questionable; and G Rob Sims (shoulder) and DE Willie Young (ankle) are probably.  Also, DT Ndamukong Suh is suspended for Sunday’s game.

Tags: , ,

209 Responses to “Peterson, Ponder Will Be Questionable On Injury Report”

1. By Shawn on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

I really hope AP maked it back so he can get 1200 yards

and I hope Percy gets 1000 yards rec this season …

2. By Nate on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

lets go vickes. Hope Ponder and Peterson will be ok to play. Beat the Lions.

3. By TechnoButt on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

“Frazier said it may require another look at Ponder before the game to make a determination on his status, but a similar additional look at Peterson may not be needed.”

WTH does that mean? Does it mean he’s so bad they don’t need another look or he’s so good they don’t need another look. UGH! Need AP for playoff win!

4. By vikes339 on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

I think the real issue is getting them a place to play first. With out that there is no need to care who we sign, because they will not be here any more. The STDIUM ISSUE IS HUGE!!!!! The tteam will be sold and moved if somethng isnt done. I can handle a few more years of loosing to make sure that they stay in MN!!!

5. By Frederick Jones on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

The Vikings are like GM and Chrysler before those companies went bankrupt.
    It was design by committee.

Both of these companies had great designs for their cars, the problem was that they were fighting amongst themselves.

Buick against Cadillac

Dodge against Plymouth

They were not sharing parts and other resources.

The Vikings are the same way. I have been saying for months:
    NO ONE PERSON COULD BE THAT DUMB.

The Vikings must come up with a way to organize their company in a way where they are not competing against one another.

Don’t do it my way, I’m just a stupid fan. But get it done!!!

6. By Kalishnakov on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

LOBBY FOR FA LARON LANDRY AT THE HOME GAMES WE CAN SOLVE ALL OF OUR DB ISSUES WITH THIS GUY, HE WOULD BE THE MOST FEARED DB IN THE IN NFC NORTH. SOME REAL COMPETITION FOR CALVIN JOHNSON OR GREG JENNINGS.

7. By Frederick Jones on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

To the Wilfs:

How long do you think you can keep drafting like you have since 2003???

HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER!!!

8. By Kalishnakov on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

@Fred the wilfs havent owned this team since 2003

9. By Frederick Jones on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Kalishnakov,

Thank you for the videos. Keep pushing guys like him. It will take more
    than one db to fix our defense however…

10. By Frederick Jones on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

@Kalishnakov,

HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER!!!

(The Vikings cannot keep drafting as they have since 2003.)

11. By Frederick Jones on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

@Kalishnakov,

What didn’t you understand about my post?

12. By Kalishnakov on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

@fred of course it will, but thats a good place to start with Landry, allows us to draft other needs like OL AND WR. I would be happy seeing only 3 positions drafted this year, OL WR DB if we can solidify talent at those positions the NFC North will be ours next season, with the pick up of landry though, and if Chris cook gets his legal issues sorted out, we would have a formidable Def backfield. and thus no need to draft early for a db, we than only have 1 serious issue to address in the offensive line and 1 somewhat mild issue with Receiving Corps

13. By Frederick Jones on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

+++++++ To the Wilfs:

How long do you think you can keep drafting like you have since 2003???

HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER!!!

14. By Kalishnakov on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

@fred what didnt you understand about mine, The Wilfs aint been Drafting since 2003. you directed your statements towards them like they been here since. Im not saying we dont need a GM, just unfair to blame the wilfs for folley before their time.

15. By Frederick Jones on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

@Kalishnakov,

As long as fans are getting out the message for OLs, DBs, and WRs,
    I’m pretty happy.

Let them know that we will not be happy with anything else, maybe even
    the 6 headed VPs will work!

16. By Frederick Jones on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

@Kalishnakov,

The Wilfs still have to take into account what happened in 2003 and even before that.

If you would have read some of my prior posts, you would know that I am aware of when the Wilfs became the owner.

You must be a new blogger.

All bloggers look stupid on Vikings.com. At least I thought they did when
    I first started blogging here.

Actually most of us are quite knowledgable.

17. By Kalishnakov on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

@fred haha alright alright I feel it, makes me feel alittle better.

18. By Frederick Jones on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

:( :( :( “:( HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER!!!

19. By Frederick Jones on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

@Kalishnakov,

You are for the aquisition of TALENT for the OL/DB/WR groups.
    Welcome to Vikings.com!!!

20. By vike0din on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

in that case, if we’re putting up people we need in free agency…

21. By Frederick Jones on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

@Kalishnakov,

If you understand how the Vikings passed up on drafting/trading for
    OL and DB talent after the 2010 season, you are smarter than any of us!!!

(Love and Fusco not withstanding, maybe one of them will be the next Joe Senser!)

22. By Frederick Jones on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

@VikeOdin,

Yes, we need CORNERBACKS!!!

23. By Kalishnakov on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

@vike0din I dont like Cortlands shenanigans though, And I was quite delighted watching Andre johnson punch a new ear hole in his head.
    @Fred I can see a Future with Love and thats because Im an LSU fan so I watch SEC ball and Love can lay some mothers out, another one we picked up in this last draft that has promise is Mistral at the safety spot.

24. By Frederick Jones on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Hire a general manager!

25. By Frederick Jones on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

@Kalishnakov,

Yes, and also Marcus Sherels. He will improve even more in this off-season.
    His is an attitude we need on the MN Vikings.

I’m a little b i a s e d because I coached Marcus when he was in high school.
    Not in football however.

26. By Frederick Jones on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

HIRE$$$ A General Manager!!!

27. By Kalishnakov on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

@fred
    Tell that boy than to quit taking punts so deep in our zone.

28. By vikfan1987 on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

i dont get why yall think we need a WR at all! did yall see the broncos game?

29. By Justin F on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Find a new way to lose, Vikes! We need that high draft pick for the future.

30. By Parody on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

If AP’s 50-50, his drive to be the best will be enough to get on the field. I get the same kind of vibe about Ponder, but I’m not as certain the coaches will be willing to give him the green light.

31. By YourMama on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

After reading an article about why Rudolph and Harvin were not on the field right before half time to make a play for the endzone, I am convinced after the answers givin by Frazier and Musgrave, that they don’t know what they’re doing. Here’s who our receivers were for that play: Camarillo, Kliensauser, and Webb. ARE YOU FUC-KING KIDDING ME!!!

32. By YourMama on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Question, why hasn’t Frazier taken over play calling? I would think that most Head Coaches would. Ohhhhh that’s right, DOESN’T KNOW HOW TO RUN AN OFFENSE.

33. By YourMama on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Yeaaa three more years of Frazier.

34. By Parody on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Why do so many people have such a limited range of sight? Do you ever stop to think that the coaches aren’t coaching to win anymore this season? Kleinsasser, Camarillo and Webb are all question marks for next year’s team. Kleinsasser and Camarillo’s contracts are up, so we need to decide if either of them is worth re-signing. Meanwhile, we need to see if Webb will be able to fill in one of the holes we have currently at WR. So, JUST MAYBE the coaches decided to give them a shot so that they could analyze the talent in a tough situation.

Losses are more valuable to the team at this point in the season anyways. Throwing in guys who need to be fighting for a position on the roster is a better way to lose than to simply tell your starters to roll over. It maintains the reputation of the starters, and it gives the backups a chance to show that they can add value to the team.

35. By Parody on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

I would suggest that fans treat the rest of the games this year as if they were preseason games, but I’ve plenty of outrageous complaints about preseason performance and decisions. So it’s unlikely that getting into that mindset will convince many people to change their point of view.

36. By TITANIUM TITUS on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Parody, the answer is simple– the critics have tunnel vision and with that, they believe they know it all. Easy to be outside looking in and find fault. Frazier and Company do this for a living– the critics don’t get that. Frazier is going to excel as a coach in the next two years– then all these critics will be on the bandwagon. Then a couple losses and they will be chanting, fire Frazier. Moved by the wind, like paper in a parking lot.

37. By YourMama on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Good point Parody I didn’t look at it that way. You might be right about the coaching as well. Only time will tell. However, just like you can read minds so can I, and I don’t think it was lets see if we resign Camarillo and Kliensasser so lets put them in this situation. It was either we’re throwing the game or we really don’t know what we’re doing. If it’s losing games for draft picks, he-ll lets just lose them all for 3 or 4 years, we’re sure to have a good team in five years. I know wins at this point hurt more than help, but it’s still nice to go to work on Monday with some bragging rights. I work with 3 Bronc fans and it’s been a cr-ap week.

38. By YourMama on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

If anyone on these blogs think they know everything it’s you Titus. Take a second and remove Parody’s ba-lls from your mouth and think about that for a little while.

39. By TITANIUM TITUS on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

There could be a dozen reasons why Harvin and Rudolph were not in there. One could also question the time out taken seven seconds before the two minute warning before halftime. How many are errors and learning mistakes versus by design for an unknown bigger picture or even just a cramped muscle in Harvin’s leg or what have you– who knows? Parody is right- this is pre season to 2012 — no need to get worked up. This season is long over.

40. By Joe F on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

I agree with you Parody. It’s very important to see who will be on the team and see just what the Vikings have got, But if the stadium issue isn’t resolved No One will be in a Minnesota Viking uniform.

41. By TITANIUM TITUS on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

If AP and Ponder play, I do believe we will win on Sunday- the game will be close and physical— and the Lions will get edgy, make mistakes, release their temper tantrums and will self-destruct, knowing that their post-season is in jeopardy. And the Vikes will be playing for pride to beat a divisional opponent.

42. By Mike R. on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Wow…Yahoo Sports reports Kalil is expected to stay in school for his senior year. Good for him for his education but the attention this year he garnered for being the best available OT in the draft makes you think…

43. By CaribooBill on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

A possible reason for Rudolph and Harvin to not be in is that they were being limited in the amount of plays due to recent injury (Rudolph) and the migraine issue (Harvin). I don’t know if this is THE reason, the reason actually given doesn’t seem to make much sense. I doubt that they are not trying to win. I think that would be bad for the players’ safety. It would also, in my opinion, be bad for morale to have your coaches trying to lose.

44. By Bigfan1 on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Guys, if Ponder gets hurt who do we have. What about drafting Griffin III? This guy is a 400 hurdler and accurate passer to boot, might be good to have the competition next year for QB.

45. By TITANIUM TITUS on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Better to improve the O line than spinning the roulette wheel for more quarterbacks– otherwise all our quarterbacks will eventually be on IR. We need to fix the root of the problem.

46. By Mike R. on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Titus…you got that right! Lack of protection led to McNabb downfall and now Ponder being dinged up. The O-line needs to be addressed very soon! If Kalil stays at USC, it is a letdown but there are some value o-line players to be had in draft.

47. By Mike R. on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Another thing to address is a TE that can not only catch but also block. How could the Vikes not punch it in on the goal line against the Falcons? Cause the one play the TE did not pick up block. I like TE Andre Smith who is on the Bears PS. At Virginia Tech he had to run block for Tyrod Taylor,Ryan Williams,Darren Evans and David Wilson. He is listed at 6’5 270. I was hoping he was a late round pick of Vikes. Oh yeah, he caught 5 TDs in the red zone.

48. By Mike R. on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Looking at big play WR? I’m not sold on the draft’s best WRs. They are big and tall but reminds me of last year…Jonathan Baldwin,Leonard Hankerson,Terrance Tolliver. I’d like to see them at NFL combine. Julio Jones impressed me at last years Combine with a broken foot. I was hoping if he was available for Vikes pick they took him and said “adios” to Rice.

49. By VegasVike on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

We’ve got plenty of TE’s that can block, run and catch. The PROBLEM with the botched Falcon play (‘s) was the predictable play calling. Ponder could have easily faked one of those handoffs and bootlegged the ball in himself. Coulda shoulda woulda = 2011 Vikings

50. By TITANIUM TITUS on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Yeah, Vegas, I am not sure what that comment was about getting more TE’s– what are we collecting that position now? That is the whole problem– the wholes, or I mean holes in the team– we need to address O line and the secondary– then add a big time WR or two AND good coaching– we are on our way. I predict this Sunday…

51. By Frederick Jones on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

@Kalishnakov,

As for Sherels taking that kickoff deep in the end zone, I’m hoping it was because of something the coach said. He has made some bad decisions on the punt returns it is true.

52. By Frederick Jones on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER!!!

53. By Mike R. on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

What I am saying gentleman (Vegas and Titus) I think the Vikings need a TE that can block and catch. Shiancoe is at the end of his contract. He was nursing injuries at beginning of season and now. Rudolph was nursing injury at combine and now this season was dinged up. I am all for OL cause the Vikes need it bad. I was just saying a TE who played like a lineman. Thank you for your time…

54. By Frederick Jones on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

I truly wish someone would come up with a solution that is better than my own.

But I will not stand by and watch the Vikings draft so stupidly like they did last year.

(Maybe Love, and Fusco will be the new Senser)

In the meantime…

HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER!!!

55. By Mike R. on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Not sure about the comment about comment about Vikings TE that can block….(they can catch)

56. By Frederick Jones on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

***I truly wish someone would come up with a solution that is better than my own.

(Maybe Love, and Fusco will be the new Senser)

In the meantime…

HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER!!!

57. By Frederick Jones on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& I truly wish someone would come up with a solution that is better than my own.

(Maybe Love, and Fusco will be the new Senser)

In the meantime…

HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER!!!

58. By Mike R. on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

With Love and Fusco inactive all the time, how will we know we got a steal in the draft? It’s time to talk the talk….

59. By Frederick Jones on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

@Parody,

There are a lot of who think JOE WEBB can play Quarterback!

It is WAY TOO EARLY to give up on Joe!!!

HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER THAT WILL MAKE PARODY PROUD!!!

60. By Frederick Jones on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

*** I meant a lot of us think Joe Webb can still play qb. He has not had
    much of an opportunity!

61. By Frederick Jones on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

IT IS WAY TOO EARLY TO GIVE UP ON JOE WEBB.

IT IS POSSIBLE THAT IF YOU TRADE OR RELEASE JOE, YOU
    MAY BE TRADING AWAY A SUPER BOWL QB, LIKE RICH GANNON!!!

You had better (should, must, could, have to) make sure that Joe Webb isn’t the
    next Joe Kapp, or Joe Montana before getting rid of him!!!

62. By Frederick Jones on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

^^^^HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER^^^^

63. By Mike R. on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Frederick

or do what the Bills did with Georgia Tech QB Josh Nesbitt…put on the PS as a safety. He has the skills like Webb.

64. By Frederick Jones on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

@Mike R.,

I am not sure what you are talking about.

Joe Senser was a TE who spent a year with the practice squad, then the next year he made the first of two pro bowl appearances. He had 2 x 1000 yard seasons.

Love and Fusco could be projects in addition to the fact at least one of those guys had some injury problems. I’m alway hopeful for that kind of miracle.

Marcus Sherels spent most of last season with the practice squad. I believe he will continue to improve. Do not count Sherels out, he might surprise us!!!

65. By Frederick Jones on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

@Mike R,

I don’t disagree with you.

Joe Webb could play anything. (Add 60 pounds to him, he could play on the line.) But we have to consider, what does he want to play, especially if he is good at it!!!

66. By NO8DO on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

I just heard the the Bears were gonna take Hester off the field for special teams because he sores to much and no one else gets a chance to play. They got the idea from how the Vikes manage Percy

67. By Frederick Jones on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

What is the #1 need for the Vikings?

68. By Frederick Jones on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

@NO8DO,

Yes, Percy Harvin for General Manager!!

I bet Percy would draft Offensive Linemen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

69. By Frederick Jones on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

???What is the #1 need for the Vikings???

70. By Frederick Jones on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

~~~~~~~WIN = What’s Important Now?

71. By TITANIUM TITUS on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

It’s all good. No stadium folks, so we might as well start enjoying the Twins, Wild, and Timberwolves. Actually, I read an article on ESPN yesterday that made me ponder about the stadium.

Anyone else see that the San Diego game on Sunday might be blacked out because they cannot sell out? This would be the second game this season. San Diego has over 3 million in their metro, no where near as large as LA, but they have a long history with the Chargers and they play outdoors in perfect weather– and they cannot sell out — what will happen in LA? Can anyone say RAMS?

72. By Frederick Jones on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Draft well!!!

It should be: T, DB, C, DB

NOT: QB, RB, LB, DE

Hire DENNIS GREEN as General Manager!!!

73. By Frederick Jones on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

GOOD PLAYERS WANT TO PLAY FOR DENNIS GREEN!

ALWAYS HAVE, ALWAYS WILL!!!

74. By Frederick Jones on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER~~~BRIAN BILLICK OR DENNIS GREEN!!!

75. By Frederick Jones on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

The Vikings must make their own luck, by drafting, trading, etc. for need!!!

OFFENSIVE LINE!!!
    DEFENSIVE BACK!!
    WIDE RECEIVER!

Don’t be stupid and draft yet another QB, RB, or defensive linemen.

We have some great young defensive linemen, put faith in them.

76. By Mike R. on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Frederick

what I am saying is the Bills have a rookie QB from Georgia Tech…Josh Nesbitt who they kept on the PS but is transitioning from QB to S. What I am saying is can’t Webb transition to Wildcat QB,WR or safety?

77. By Mike R. on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

As far as drafting…we should draft OL,CB,WR
    but we should also draft DE/DT (to make Allen better), LB cause they can’t stay healthy. RB to help out AD. After 70 yard run, they need good RB to rest Peterson. And to learn under him.

78. By VegasVike on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

I’m with ya Mike R, your point is well taken. All I saw of the game was the highlights, and the failure to punch that drive in was the highlights. What is the phrase? Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results? That drive was insanity by the coaching staff, no imagination. This whole year has been insane…

79. By vikefanforlife on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

cedric benson is way over paid

80. By vikefanforlife on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

i mean griffen my bad

81. By Mike R. on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Thanks Vegas. I have been pretty mellow this year (except when they had first half leads) I am just trying to look for holes in the Vikings team. It looks like a lot! Any suggestions? It is getting to the point that any team (LSU included) can beat us….

82. By saddy on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

What do you guys think about Robert griffin iii with our draft pick, Matt kalil is not entering the draft

83. By Parody on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Saddy – Are you really ready to give up on Ponder this early? You don’t look for backups in the first round!

If Kalil sticks with his decision to remain in school, then we still have other glaring holes to be addressed. CB and WR are the next two areas of concern. Claiborne and Blackmon are great selections for us to consider. But there’s also a couple of other offensive linemen who are worthy of a top-ten selection.

Let’s not rule out the potential of trading down to get some extra picks too. Seattle and Cleveland both could be hungry for a 1st round QB, and one of them might just be willing to pay a hefty load of picks to move into our draft position to get a guy like Griffin III. That would be my ideal situation. Then we could still draft an OT like Martin, hope that Minnifield is still there in Round 2, and have another 6-picks in rounds 2-4 to rebuild the team.

84. By saddy on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Makes sense parody

85. By Parody on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Well, maybe Cleveland isn’t ready to throw in the towel on their QB quite yet. McCoy’s been in the league 2-years, and has had a rating of 74.5. Not stellar, but it’s too early to say it’s not enough to keep him in charge.

However, it seems to be a guarantee that the Colts are going with Luck in the first pick, and Washington would be crazy not to take a QB in the first round, while they currently lie at the 5th pick. From what I understand, there’s 3-QBs in this year’s draft who are projected to be pretty solid franchise players.

Meanwhile, I’d say that Miami and Seattle are the two teams in this year’s draft who will be the most desperate for a QB. Kansas, Buffalo, Tampa and the Jets may be interested, but they’re all doing just good enough at the position that I think they’ll be comfortable waiting to see what they can get without having to trade.

Miami looks like they’ll have an early enough pick that they might not want to trade any higher, but Seattle may be desperate enough after seeing the dismal performance from Jackson to try to jump ahead. So it will be interesting to see if they want to pull the trigger.

86. By Mike R. on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Parody

I really was liking Kalil in 1st. I was looking at CB in 2nd. I like Johnthan Banks from Miss St. I not liking the top CBs in draft. I think sleeper is DeQuan Menzie from Alabama. Everyone has been talking about Kirkpatrick,Upshaw,Richardson as Alabama pIcks. But Menzie has been having a quiet good season…

87. By Mike R. on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Another sleeper was for a WR. BJ Cunningham from Mich St has been kicking BUTT the last 5 games. He is projected as a late round pick but he has produced a lot!

88. By Bill on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

the viqueens will finish 2 and 14!!! it’s time to get rid of this entire coaching staff along with more than half the players

89. By sandiamond on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Love, Fusco and especially D. Reed need to be on the field now but are always inactive! Evaluate the talent so we can use the info for next year’s draft

90. By purplegoldman on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

If the management in charge of college scouting and the draft would admit that they are realy bad at finding talented players in Rounds 5 thru 7 of the draft. Then they could turn that weakness to a strength by giving up our draft rounds 5 thru 7 to another team for one 3rd Round pick. This would give the Vikings 5 Garunteed NFL caliber starters and possibly 4 Pro Bowlers of the 5. They would almost never have any draft Bust’s again. And they would not have a bunch of players on the payroll that are not going to make it in the NFL. They would also not have sub par talent on the field that cost them game after game. There inabillity to draft NFL caliber players beyond the 4rth round has been a complete failure for the past Decade. Making this adjustment ,would turn this completely around to a championship team within 3 or 4 years.

91. By sandiamond on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

That’s right Mike R, Saban’s farm club. We’ll have to pass on those three studs but not anybody else. Alabama has the #1 strength and conditioning coach in the US!

92. By purplegoldman on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

I do not believe that Studwell and Spielman could possibly get that type of draft system wrong. 1 first rounder, 1 second rounder, 2 third rounders and 1 4rth rounder. At worst they would have 4 high caliber draft talent. Just think how much talent they could amass over 4 short years. At worst they could have 16 young pro Bowlers and possibly 20. All aquired through the draft in 4 years. Lets say that only the 1rst, 2nd and one third rounder become Pro Bowlers, Thats still 12.

93. By AdrianPonder on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

the , drafting issue is not Speilmans fault , he is omly allowed to pick the players Studwell chooses

94. By Northern Norseman on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

It will definitely hurt the Vikings if Kalil doesn’t come out for the draft, which it looks like he will return for his senior season.

Kalil is my favorite draft choice for the Vikings by far but I do not believe the Vikings would have been in position anyways.

Nearly any tie-breaker for records will be lost since the Vikings have a tougher schedule than most teams. So as of right now the Vikings are the 3rd behind the Colts and Rams. The only way to obtain the 2nd overall draft choice is if the Vikings lose the last 4 games while the Rams win at least 1. I do not see that situation happening so that leaves the Vikings with the best possible position at 3rd overall.

The Jaguars are the only real threat to jump a spot in front of the Vikings come the draft. They now sit 1 game behind the Vikings and have yet to play the Colts. I think the Jaguars will manage at least 1 more win putting them at 2 games behind the Vikings. I believe the Vikings could very well come out with 2 more wins by the seasons end causing a tie-breaker. The vikings would lose and be placed at 4th overall. The Vikings somehow manage 3 wins could push the Vikings down to 8-12 overall. The most likely is the Vikings end up at 4th overall in my opinion.

Now with Kalil more than likely at this moment returning to school means the talent just moves up. Kind of like losing a draft spot in a way.

Lets see what happens given that the teams stay where they are.

1. Colts – QB Andrew Luck
    2. Rams – WR Justin Blackmon
    3. Jaguars – CB Morris Claiborn (Could see many options here but Claiborn looks to be the choice here)
    4. Vikings –
    The best players available at the point are……

= OT Riley Reiff (The next best player. By no means as good as Kalil but it definitely better than Martin….. trust me. Riley came in as a TE so he is probably the most athletic of all OTs in the draft. What I like most is how aggressive he is and simply does not stop. Fans would not be disappointed by Reiff as our future OT)

= WR Alshon Jefferey (Very underated. Compare him to Blackmon and you will see that Jefferey has no other great receivers to help him out, Blackmon does. Jefferey had his best running back injured for the season, Blackmon has Kendell Hunter…. on of the nations better backs. Jefferey had an average at best QB, Blackmon has one of the nations better QBs. Jefferey reminds me of a slightly more athletic Sidney Rice.)

= RB Trent Richardson (Obviously this choice would not occur BUT what if the Vikings trade Adrian Peterson. Get plenty of great draft choices from another team and draft a running back that will more than likely be a stud in the NFL. Not likely but just a thought.)

= WR Michael Floyd (Having a homegrown product back in Minnesota would be awesome. Honestly, I think he could end up being better than Blackmon and Jefferey. Amazing blocker, awesome hands, great route runner, and is a little faster than the other two. I would not be upset with Floyd here but would rather trade down to 8-12 to pick him up there.)

=OT Jonathan Martin (A very good tackle but I believe people miss the fact that he played for the best QB to play in the last decade or so. Besides he will sometime stop pursuing and get lazy on running plays which bothers the heck out of me. He is good but I wouldn’t touch him at 4. Trade down and take him at 10-13 is more appropriate.

=CB Dre Kirkpatrick (Dre is right up there with Claiborn. He has done very well against the nations best WRs for the past couple of years. His stellar height, long arms, and speed make him a great jammer the line of scrimmage. Is a perfect fit for a the Tampa 2 defense.

4th overall choice…….. OT Riley Rieff

Preferred choice……… Trade down to get either OT Rieff or Martin.
    Trade down and select WR Michael Floyd at 8-13 overall
    Dre Kirkpatrick is another preferred draft choice at 8-13 overall also.

At this point I would very much prefer to trade down since if your not able to grab an elite player than there is no need reaching when players with similar talents can be obtained down the draft.

Bottom line……… Whoever the Vikings draft needs to be a HOME RUN choice. So I do not care who or at what position. The choice needs to be a HOME RUN!

95. By sandiamond on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

The Rams play the Seahawks in mnf with a good chance of getting a W. Next week is more favorable for the vikings in the draft picture with indy and the rams having winable games. Hold tight the Luck Sweepstakes is still on!

96. By Northern Norseman on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Vikings (2-10)
    Jaguars (3-9)
    Panthers (4-8)
    Buccaneers (4-8)
    Redskins (4-8)
    Eagles (4-8)
    Dolphins (4-8)
    Browns (4-8)
    Rest are 5+ wins

So one can see that if the Vikings win 2 more games they could fall pretty far down the draft.

Winning 3 out of the last 4 is certainly possible but I just don’t believe that will happen.

Most 4 win teams either face one another pushing them to 5 wins or some will just manage a win anyways. So 1 win from the Vikings at worst would put them at 4th overall if the Jaguars lose out. Meaning the Jaguars would lost to the Colts which I doubt so the Vikings could very well still be at 3rd. Winning 2 games could be anything from 3rd to 7th overall. So 5th or 6th is also could be a very likely landing place for the vikings come draft day.

97. By Northern Norseman on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

@sandiamond Very true. The Vikings are still in a way in the Luck sweepstakes but the Colts would need to win 3 out of their last 4 games. Possible….. but very very unlikely.

If by some crazy chance the Vikings lose out, Colts get 3 more wins, the Rams manage 1 more….. the vikings would have to draft Luck.

Let Luck and Ponder battle out. Eventually trade whoever loses the battle for plenty of draft choices.

Ha again very unlikely….. besides I really enjoy having Ponder as our QB of the future so I do not mind at all being out of the Luck sweepstakes besides the opportunity to compile tons of draft choices

98. By Northern Norseman on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

@purplegoldman I simply could not agree with you more!! I seriously have been the biggest believer in BUILDING THROUGH THE DRAFT!!

Although not realistic BUT let us say that 1 choice in rounds 1-7.

Now what if those 7 draft choices are all superstar multiple year pro-bowlers.

1 single draft can dramatically change any franchise from bad to good with one jackpot draft.

Like I said…… I do not care who or at what position. As long as they are HOME RUNS!!

99. By sandiamond on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

NN yea still a pipe dream to get the Luck rewards. If J.Jones can garner 5 picks then maybe Luck would get us six! I’m thinking we wouldn’t need to pick at number#2 because of the rewards of a trade down. i.e cleveland with two first rounders looking for RG3 or Barkley

100. By Frederick Jones on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

@VegasVike,

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

DO NOT DRAFT A RUNNING BACK
    DO NOT DRAFT A RUNNING BACK
    DO NOT DRAFT A RUNNING BACK!!!

101. By Frederick Jones on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

DRAFT:

Offensive Line!!!
    Defensive Backs!!!
    maybe a Wide Receiver!!!

102. By Frederick Jones on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

DO NOT DRAFT YET ANOTHER Running Back or Defensive Lineman!!!

VegasVike…”Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.”

WHY THEN WOULD WE CONTINUE TO DRAFT RUNNING BACKS AND DEFENSIVE LINEMEN LIKE WE HAVE BEEN DOING SINCE 2007!!!

103. By Frederick Jones on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

That is INSANE:( :( :(

104. By Frederick Jones on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

I guess I’m back to being a force of ONE.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE…
    DRAFT OFFENSIVE LINEMEN AND DEFENSIVE BACKS :) :) :)

105. By Frederick Jones on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONo!

DO NOT DRAFT A RUNNING BACK. WE ALREADY HAVE 3 GOOD ONES!

106. By Northern Norseman on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

@ Frederick Jones I agree 100%.

Ranking needs

10. Special Teams (K/P/Long Snapper)
    9. Quarterback
    8. Running back
    7. Full Back
    6. Tight End
    5. Defensive Line
    4. Line Backer
    3. Wide Receiver
    2. Defensive Back (CB/S)
    1. Offensive Line

107. By Parody on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Norseman – Good insight, however the Vikings are currently ahead of the Rams in the draft order. Right about the time it started to look completely hopeless for the Vikings, I put together an Excel sheet which, among other things, tracks the strength of every team’s schedule. As of the end of week 13, the teams the Vikings are scheduled against this year are 110-82, while the Rams go against teams that are 111-81. So it’s a close battle, but it’s completely within the realm of possibility that the Vikings stay in front of St. Louis.

108. By Northern Norseman on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

I would love, though, a dominating massive DT. Free agency or or middle of the draft. We need a massive force to complement K. Williams and eventually Ballard.

109. By Parody on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

But Fred, we could have FOUR good running backs! Get enough of them on the team and we’re sure to win at LEAST 3-games every year!

110. By Northern Norseman on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

@Parody Wow that is a lot closer than I thought. I don’t recall what week I looked but I figured it would play out that it would end up with the Vikings slightly behind the Rams.

Thanks a lot for that! Makes things a bit more interesting.

It still bugs the heck out of me that Kalil is most likely returning for his senior year.

He was my most wanted prospect by far.

Does anyone know more about Kalil and his commitment for the draft?

Since either way if the Vikings do or do not get him it still helps to push some of the other talented players down the draft. I really hope Kalil enters the draft!

111. By Parody on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

I’d love to get Kalil too. He is being hyped up as much as Luck is as far as being the best prospect at the position this century. Even if we didn’t want to draft him, he would make the trade value of the #2 selection that much higher. Either way, he would be a big boost to our team and could turn around our fortunes next year.

112. By Parody on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

I have the same feeling for our need to get a big strong DT. Looking at draft prospects, there appears to be a good choice for a 4th round selection (historically, this is where the team likes to pick up DLinemen). Kheeston Randall from the Longhorns is big and tall. Give him a year or two to add a little more bulk and he could really be the solution we need in the middle of the line. Apparantly, Texas is great at producing quality NFL DTs, so this should be a good prospect for the team, but I would only take him if we get some extra draft picks out of trading down in the first or second round. There are other bigger needs that the team should be considering at this point if they don’t add some early picks.

113. By Northern Norseman on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Okay after researching more. The whole Kalil situation is largely just a rumor which is what my gut felt but everything sounded as if he would return for his senior campaign.

I do recall that Barkley and Kalil will make the decision together so if Barkley hasn’t said anything than is must most likely be a rumor.

Ill wait until I get a solid statement from Kalil himself on what he’ll do. So for now until proven otherwise Ill go back to assuming Kalil will enter the 2012 NFL Draft.

114. By Parody on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

FYI – A little Vikings 4th-round Draft history:
    2011 – Chrïstian Balard (DL)
    2010 – Everson Griffen (DE)
    2009 – No Choice (No DLineman at all this year)
    2008 – No Choice (Traded in part for Jared Allen)
    2007 – Brian Robisson (DE)
    2006 – Ray Edwards (DE)

2005 was the most recent year that we used a 4th round selection on something other than a DLineman.

115. By drew on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

If they are hurt, let them heal. We not going anywhere anyway! Give Joe Webb the start.

116. By Northern Norseman on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

@Parody Agree. I would love to have a big strong dominating DT but you can get a good one in the middle rounds. The DTs that usually go higher in the draft are the K. Williams and N. Sue type that are well rounded DTs that can really get to the QB. Not saying I want a DT that can’t get to a QB but one that is around 6’3” 323-345 lbs that can plug up the middle. His job is to stop the run and to compress the middle of the pocket so that QBs cannot step into the pocket as far helping our DEs from the outside a better chance of getting the sack/strip/pressure on the QB.

117. By Parody on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

…and 2005 was one of the worst drafts we’ve ever had. 2-1st round picks, and they were wasted on Troy Williamson and Erasmus James. Nobody in that year ever amounted to anything, for our team or any other team.

118. By sandiamond on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

interesting DL draft/free agent breakdown for round 4. Shows a pattern from draft personnel that fred jones has alerted to. I like this guy from Mich State J. Worthy plus the Alabama linebackers but without a tradedown mixup of some sort they all pass along during the draft

119. By Parody on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Norseman – That’s why I was targeting Randall in the 4th round. He measures in at 6’5″, 305 pounds. So he definitely has great height, which will be beneficial in closing off the short routes over the middle. However, he could improve as a run stuffer by adding around 30-pounds, which is why I’m giving him a year or two to transform into a full-time starter.

120. By Frederick Jones on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

@Parody,

We will have to agree to disagree then.

The problem with our drafts since 2003, is the FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE!!!
    (Yes, just like the movie Cool Hand Luke)

We need to make it a priority to take care of our two weakest areas FIRST, not as an after thought like last year.

OFFENSIVE LINE AND DEFENSIVE BACKS.

Even thinking about any other positions is encouraging our scouts and VPs to continue to JUST WATCH THE BALL, when they watch college games.

121. By Frederick Jones on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

AND that would be a very serious mistake, unless you like 6-10 seasons!!!

122. By Frederick Jones on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

@Northern Norseman,

You are right on with your priorities list.

The defensive backfield is such an obvious BLACK HOLE for the Vikings, that it’s really A SIN to talk about anything else.

If Spielman is acting GM, get rid of the buffoon. My 2 year old niece could do better!!!

123. By Frederick Jones on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Running Back….Running Back…Don’t talk about RUNNING BACKs…
    I don’t know if we’ll be able to win another game!

124. By Northern Norseman on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

I think about the 2005 draft sometimes and it makes me sick. How cool is it to have 2 first round picks just to have them go down the drain. Everything past that was pathetic as well.

===Vikings===

At Detroit (L)
    New Orleans (L)
    At Washington (50/50)
    Chicago (Without Cutler 50/50)

Most likely 1 win…… maybe 2.

===Rams===

At Seattle (60% sure of a L)
    Cincinnati (70% sure of a L)
    At Pittsburgh (L)
    San Francisco (L)

Sam Bradfords return will improve the Rams chances. I can see 1 win but 2 to me feel unlikely.

It will be close. I can see the Rams edging the Vikings for the 2nd overall pick but who knows. Anything could happen.

The thing is that the 2007 draft the Lions got C. Johnson at #2, Vikings with AP at #7, Niners with P. Willis at #11, and the Jets with D. Revis at #14. So what I am getting at is that if the Vikings do slide down the draft who cares. We can still get a dynamic game changer basically anywhere. It just has to be that right guy….. the HOME RUN!

125. By Parody on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Fred – I don’t understand where you think we disagree. I’m on the same boat that our top priorities are OL, DB and WR, in that order. I was only considering a DT in the 4th round IF we add picks via trade.

Here’s my most recent mock draft, projecting that the Vikings trade with a team like Seattle or Cleveland for their #1, 2, 3 and 4:
    1 – OT Martin
    2a – CB Mannifield
    2b – G Osemele/Nix
    3a – SS Armstrong
    3b – WR Streeter
    4a – OLB Tate/Robinson
    4b – DT Randall

If we don’t trade, the decision hinges on whether Kalil decides to declare for the draft. If he doesn’t, then Blackmon and Claiborne both look like great picks, but I would lean towards Claiborne due to team need. But then that would require a couple of quality linemen to be found in the next couple rounds, which may be a tough order. So I’d prefer we trade down in the first and pick up a mid-first round Tackle.

126. By Parody on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Norseman – I wouldn’t write the final game for the Rams off as a loss quite yet. Yes, it’s against San Francisco, who currently has bragging rights over the second best season in the NFL this year. However, that could be a good thing. It’s possible that they will have the #2 spot locked up by the end of week-16, with no chance of getting the #1. IF that happens, I wouldn’t be surprised in the least to see the 49ers rest a lot of their starters, allowing them to heal for the playoffs. That win would be a good motivation builder/media hype for the Rams going into the off-season, so they JUST MIGHT be able to get an upset. But the stars need to align properly for this to happen.

127. By sandiamond on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Parody, Minnifield is shaping up to be potential pick for the vikes in the 2nd round. However if we slip to 5-7 draft order he might already be gone. J. Jenkins has some off-field issues and A. Dennard should be off the table in the 2nd

128. By vike0din on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Determining where college players get picked, if they apply for the draft and whether teams trade for different picks is, to me, almost impossible, my draft/FA goes like this:
    FA: LARON LANDRY, maybe Cortland Finnegan, I feel like part of the reason our secondary gets pushed around is because our DBs aren’t as physical as they should be.
    Draft:
    R1: without Finnegan, Morris Claiborne, with Cortland, Matt Kalil
    R2: (at this pint the draft prospects become uncertain so i will describe the perfect pick) Big bodied C
    R3: tall, man coverage-type, CB
    R4: G
    R5: another big hitting safety to go along with Landry
    R6: possibly another tackle or corner
    R7: Explosive OLB

129. By Northern Norseman on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

@Parody – That is true about week 17 (not 16… i get it mixed too) There are usually odd games that happen because of Playoff spots. I am excited to see how this all plays out.

I know some may not be a fan but one interesting possibility would be…..

Trade down to about 8-12, gather some draft selections and draft WR Michael Floyd. Then early second round draft OT Mike Adams if he is hopefully still there.

Not sure about everyone else but I would be excited about that.

130. By Parody on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

I’m well aware of how mcuh things can change IF certain things happen. There’s too many “ifs” to consider for any one person to list all the possibilities, so I’m just presenting my mock assuming that the draft order, draftee value and team needs don’t change from their current state. When changes occur, I will adjust my projections accordingly.

131. By Parody on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Norseman – I didn’t mix it up. I said by the end of week-16. This was intended to imply that all week-16 games were finished and the teams were preparing for the final game of the season.

132. By Northern Norseman on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

The thing about drafting hard hitting tackle machine safety is that the Vikings have them. They also can produce them since we often put out safety that have made the team through special teams. Making it on special teams means that you are an above average tackler or at least are not shy of contact. The Vikings need a ball-hawking safety that can take pressure and responsibility of those tackling safteys we already have.

Im not saying that our safetys are the best tacklers out there but they can get the job done at least. The Vikings need to get a dynamic ball-hawking game changer in the back zones. Laron Landry I think would be a pretty good well rounded player for the vikings.

133. By Northern Norseman on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

@Parody Whoops my bad. I read that wrong.

The Vikings through FA I hope will be able to pick up at least 1 stellar player. Be it OL, CB, WR, S…… you name it. I do not want a ton of free-agents…… just 1-2 good free-agent/s

134. By Carl K on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

@AdrianPonder – Rick Spielman and the coaching staff can draft and pick who ever they think will make this team better. Ricks’s brother Chis Spielman (former Ohio State player and current Buckeye play by play radio game voice) I think had more say in the Vikings selecting Ohio state LB Ross Homan in last years draft than Studwell did.

Ross Homan is not even on any team’s practice squad. I don’t think Studwell would have made that bad of a scouting call.

135. By Parody on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Norseman – I just looked up FLoyd, and I think his rap-sheet is too long. Multiple counts of Drunk Driving, Bar Fights, Illegal Consumption…this team has had to put up with too much of that kind of thing as it is. We need to move away from that. If his reputation is enough to make him slide into the second or third round, then I wouldn’t be against the team taking a chance on him, but I hope they’d still give him a very short leash.

136. By Northern Norseman on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

@ Carl K I was very upset and confused when I saw that the Vikings drafted Ross Homan. At the time I told myself that maybe they knew something I didn’t but still. Why the heck would you not take a chance on someone like LB Mark Herzlich? Instead we draft a bust Ross Homan.

137. By Frederick Jones on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

@Parody,

Okay, you’re still a candidate for GENERAL MANAGER!

I just get scared when I hear anyone mention any other position besides DB or OL.

WR is also a priority, but a db or ol has to be rated much higher.
    If the QB has no time, it doesn’t matter if the receivers are open.

I was watching Roethlisberger. MANsakes does he have time! It reminds me
    of sandlot football where the QB could look at one wr, then another, then another.

That is what you need in today’s NFL.

138. By TITANIUM TITUS on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

I have a prediction for Sunday but I banned myself from doing so– anyone want to do it for me?

139. By Northern Norseman on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

@Parody – I understand what you saying but I think some of that is overhyped. Just like everyone I am sick of the Vikings with their troubled players that cause drama through the franchise. A lot of what Floyd did was immature actions that he did earlier but look at J. Allen…… his rap-sheet was worse or at least just as bad. Floyd being back home, simple growing up, and being held accountable by his teammates will make his mistakes a thing of the past. I cannot say for certain that he will never get into trouble again but if I was a betting man Id say Floyd will be just fine.

Also, i know your saying ‘IF’ Floyd slips to second/third round that you would take him but that will never ever happen. It is very very hard for me to envision Floyd slipping past 15 in any way.

Who knows though? Like someone said earlier that the Draft is the most unpredictable event there is.

140. By Frederick Jones on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Imagine if Ponder had a good OL in front of him. The Vikings could become the first team to rollout the QB on every play. He would have all the time in the world!

Instead we get to see his Fran Tarkenton imitation every week.

This week Joe Webb might get to test his body’s durability against 300 pound pass rushers. I’m going to be praying for him!!!

141. By Frederick Jones on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Titanium Titus’s prediction:

Viking 33, Lions 31

Joe Webb has 300 passing and 100 rushing yards.
    Percy Harvin 2 tds
    Jared Allen 2 sacks

142. By Parody on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Norseman – Draft history makes it look completely realistic for Floyd to drop at least into the second round. Moss was a top-ten talent until he tested positive for Marijuana before the draft. Sickness and injuries caused Harvin to slide to us late in the first round. Both players won the Rookie of the Year award.

Everson Griffen was projected as first round talent, but his nature to “play when he wants to” pushed him into the fourth.

Outside of our team, Ryan Mallett had enough talent that a lot of the experts were saying he would be selected in the first half of the first round. Then he had a poor press conference, and he slid all the way into the third round. The biggest thing that surprised me outside the team was that Herzlich (who you referenced earlier) went undrafted because of cancer, even though he was projected as a top-10 talent before he was diagnosed. So I can definitely envision Floyd’s stock to slide with his reputation.

143. By Parody on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

LOL Fred – That definitely looks like a Titus prediction, but you forgot to mention AP! He’s going to do everything he can to get back on the field, and will be hungry to make up for lost time.

150 yards and 2 TDs for All Day too!

144. By Parody on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

…and maybe Peterson starts out the game on a trick play, taking a pitch out to the left, then setting up and throwing a TD to Webb who’s completely uncovered 20-yards downfield!

145. By Frederick Jones on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

@Parody and Northern Norseman,

Continue to mention top players the Vikings should draft, because I do not see any way the Vikings will pick much different than they have in the recent past.

If they can get Luck, they will. If they can pick a top RB, they will. These VPs are just wired that way!

HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER!!! BRIAN BILLICK, DENNY GREEN, ALAN PAGE, ETC.

146. By sandiamond on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

M. Herzlich is now a starting LB for the Giants. Yes an undrafted gem but you can’t blame Spielman when 31 other teams passed in the 7th round

147. By Carl K on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

I agree Norseman – I think Herzlich is playing well for the Giants.

Spielman has too many different voices in his ear… too many odd things are happening.
    Trade for Moss, just to cut him a few games later.
    Trade Rosenfels … then cut McNabb to make room to sign Rosenfels back.
    Draft Webb as a WR but never give him an opportunity to play WR.
    Cut Mckinnie cause he is fat… (I would have just made him work it off)
    Cut Berrian after the season started when it needed to be done much sooner.
    Draft Ponder at #12 but spend big money to bring in McNabb.
    Cut DeGeare after he had solid rookie year.

just to name a few

148. By Frederick Jones on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

@Parody,

Perhaps they should send Peterson out on every pass play!

Peterson 17 rushes 125 yards 2 Tds, 8 catches 126 yards 1Td.

149. By Frederick Jones on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

@Carl K,

You are right, Bud Grant never operated that way.

HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER!!!

LOTS OF GOOD CANDIDATES OUT THERE…if they want the job!!!

150. By Frederick Jones on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

The Vikings have to start realizing that their 6 VP front office is not working.

Confess..as Carl K. has alluded to…we are not making common sense personnel moves.

I want Joe Webb to be a QB, but why did they say he was a WR, and then change him back again? Didn’t they see the tapes???

C’mon Man!!!

151. By Frederick Jones on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

….and if Coaching is the problem….who is selecting the Coaches???

152. By Northern Norseman on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

@Parody – I agree with what you saying and its all true as even with stuff you stated it has happened.

As far a Floyd…. If he does get past 15 (which he very well can). Barring anything negatively drastic between now and the draft I just simply cannot see Floyd touching the 2nd round. I can see a somewhat of a Dez Bryant ordeal but Its just tough for me to see all 32 first round selections passing up on Michael Floyd.

Randy Moss and Percy Harvin are Marijuana related which can be looked as a worse thing than a minor or DWI and they still stayed in the 1st round.

Everson Griffen was projected to be top15-20 but a defensive end is more likely to slip far than a WR.

Mallett slipped for character concerns and rep. It just made it easier for him to slide when their were 4 QBs taken in the first 12 selections. Not to mention Dalton in the very early 2nd round as the 5th QB. A lot of QB needy teams had their QBs by the 12th selection. I do know what your saying is that he could have been apart of those first 4 QBs taken if not for the ‘slide’ but how to we know. Teams could have simply thought the other QBs were better regardless of the off the field rap.

So I am not saying your wrong as I understand exactly what your saying and I agree. Im just looking as far as Michael Floyd himself and looking at his own individual situation. Being right up at the top of elite WRs entering the draft I just cannot see Floyd in any way sliding to the 2nd round or further……. I just can’t. A team will definitely pull the trigger first round.

153. By Northern Norseman on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Heck Blackmon has a DWI and no way is that kid slipping past the 10th by any chance.

154. By Frederick Jones on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

…Maybe it’s coaches not having the power to make personnel moves that is
    the problem.

or having ancient scouts who no longer care enough to find those boring position players at Offensive Line and Defensive Back.

Those are considered the lowest glory positions in football.

The guys Chuck Noll, (4 SB wins in Pittsburgh) identified with the most,
    because DBs and OLs have only the team in mind, and get the least glory!!!

155. By Frederick Jones on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

If Coaching is the problem….who is selecting the Coaches???

HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER!!!

156. By Frederick Jones on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

HEY VIKINGS VICE PRESIDENTS…

If you acquired a Lombardi as coach, would you let him be Lombardi?

LOMBARDI COULD NOT BE LOMBARDI WITH THE VIKINGS ORGANIZATION!!!

157. By Frederick Jones on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

…what organization???

158. By Shawn on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

WOW … I just watched the playbook clip and Jamarca Sanford called out on 2 of the big Bronco plays

Jamarca Sanford , when everyone is healthy, is our 2nd best safety … HOW AWFULL IS THAT ?????

After watching that clip I cann see why Tyrell Johnson was playing in obvious pa’ssing downs … Coach Frazier might be smarter than some of you give him credit for

Cant wait to watch him fix this team during the offseason … it will ake more than 1 offseason to win this division, but if Frazier makes the right moves we could finish 2nd and get a wild card next season

159. By Northern Norseman on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

@ Frederick Jones – I do have to admit for a while I didn’t care for the Vikings to have a GM. I would’t have mind but it was something that I didn’t put much thought into.

NOW that I have thought about it more I have realized that it would be a good decision.

A GM should obviously get input from the coach because in the end the coach has to gel with player BUT the coach should be just that A COACH.

The coach should stick to coaching while giving his 2 cents here and there which is not a problem. A GM should be there to make tough yes/no decisions and also importantly address the media about tough topics (Why moss was add/let go, who thought it was good to bring McNabb in).

I honestly think Spielman is a fantastic talent evaluator and scout. I just don’t think he gets to make the final call because there are 50 other people trying to get their bit into the conversation.

160. By Mike R. on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

I think Parody was talking about DT Randall from Texas as a run stopper. I like him and Jaye Howard from Florida. His stats were pretty good as Florida seemed to play tough ranked teams every week so he was playing against some good talent.

161. By Northern Norseman on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Also to those who think that Frazier should be fired is making very a immature statement. I am in no way saying glorify the man but we are still paying childress, supposed to fire Frazier while continuing to pay him, and then pay for another coach that we will find. The new coach will then fire tons of the staff to bring his own preferred staff in. New schemes and styles of football are brought in confusing the players that now need to learn different style of football again.

Please people….. you know who you are. If it is absolutely bad next year I will be much more skeptical. At that point I wont be upset if he is gone…. wont be upset if he stays. If the 3rd year is again bad then he is gone gone gone.

I just cannot believe some of you that think the simple answer is to fire Frazier. If Frazier wants to make adjustments to his staff this off season than fine but to fire Frazier…………… get real!

162. By Carl K on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

I just hope Matt Kalil will change his mind about staying in school after his bowl game. The Vikings need him bad!! But on the other hand, Morris Claiborne or Justin Blackmon could really help the Vikings also.

If Kalil stays in school… I think the Viking will wait until round 3 to pick a OT.
    Andrew Datko – has NFL talent but might fall because of injuries.
    Nate Potter – 6-6 300 from Boise State – high character guy who had no trouble following in Ryan Cladys(1st round pick) foot steps at LT. Potter is athletic and is still developing. He is a raw talent that has some upside and could push Charlie Johnson for the starting job.

163. By Parody on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Norseman – I have tried to pass the same message about the coaching along to the doubters, but I have come to realize that it’s a lost cause. You can’t help these stubborn haters to understand the reality of the situation any better than you could help a blind man to understand the concept of colors.

164. By Northern Norseman on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

I will say too though that there are things or decisions from the coaching staff that has bothered me.

Like why is Rudolph not in more? Especially on the goal line plays

Like sometimes Rudolph Percy and Peterson have been off the field…….. why?

The best players should be on the field as much as possible.

Still I stand by my statement that firing Frazier is a completely dumb thought.

165. By Mike R. on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Carl

unfortunately USC season is done. They will not be in a bowl game because of probation, I think. But final two games USC played like it was in bowl game. Upset Oregon and smacked UCLA.

166. By Northern Norseman on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

@Parody – Ha thanks for the warning. You probably saved a couple years of my life if I was to get into a scrum like that.

I do see peoples points…. I really do but the biggest problem with all fan bases around the NFL is people getting too impatient. You can get in a big mess if your constantly pulling the trigger immediately when something good or bad happens.

Those people often do not do that well in fantasy football by the way. A guy starts the season with 2 bad games and he is kicked to the curb and proceeds to have an amazing season.

Lets have this thing play out a while longer and we will eventually have a better understanding of what should be done. No point in hopping off Fraziers train before we can even see the end destination.

167. By Carl K on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Mike B- you are right about USC being banned from bowls. I forgot about that.

168. By Viking33 on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

What does al this mean – probably nothing. I thought our greatest needs last year were the same as the ones we have had for a few years, including the upcoming 2012. OL – DB – OLB – WR (whatever order) The Ponder pick this year made me want to punch myself, but that seemed to work out alright. I wasn’t sure about the other picks in 2011, but I am not sure if we will ever know about those this year?? I thnk that is troubling in itself, we have Lineman – WR’s – and DB’s from last years draft that we may not really get to see this year that are either on the active roster or the practice squad. We played them here and there out of need, but if they were home runs, would they be playing?? Talent evaluation is very subjective and often pigeonholed by close minded perception. Victor Cruz – drafted signed to practice squad – got a minor injury and was shelved to the IR after that – gets his chance via injury this year and kills it( but is quickly relegated back to 4th receiver when the others return from the injury report, pressed back into action again – he kills it again, now finally the Giants see what they have in that kid. Over and over the past has shown us examples of this, you really never know what you have until people are given a chance to perform on the main stage

All I know is we are not winning with what we are putting out there, we need to infuse some younger, hungrier talent into the lineup. That seemed to work well with GB, who was forced to play younger talent last year and never looked back, kids usually have something to prove. Talent, Intelilience and Motivation together make for the best players. Ponder seems to have the intelligence and Talent – time will tell if he is motivated.

169. By Woodboat on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

I’m not calling for Fraziers job… but I WILL say he hasn’t shown me much to get excited about in his tenure as defensive coordinator nor as head coach. Our atrocious defense is HIS doing… and yet some of you claim he just needs more time. Alright…. another season or two of completely useless defense ought to bring you around. Of course, that’s two more years off our best players legs… AP won’t last forever… but hey, let’s be fair to coach Frazier.

IF he gets rid of both coordinators and hires a coupla fellas that know what they are doing… well, maybe Coach Fraziers firey demeanor will spark this team and we can get to the top half of the league… IF we get another 6 or 7 starters that are worthy of the title in the off season.

170. By Woodboat on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Again, my personal sense of urgency is based upon wanting to see AP have success and get a ring (assuming the team will get a shot at one in the next 5 or 6 years…). The longer we prolong the current state of the staff/roster, the closer APs window is to closing.

171. By Mike R. on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Carl

I am a little let down about Kalil staying in for senior season (at least he will finish his education). Maybe he will change his mind. I watched the USC-Oregon game. I specifically watched Kalil during plays. He seemed to play with intensity and always stayed with his blocks. He looked good…

172. By Woodboat on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Chip Kelly…..

173. By sandiamond on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Yep Shawn sanford is def an in-the-box safety and plays well on STeams. I think he has done enough to earn a spot on the team next year but he will never be a starter. Hopefully our secondary woes/talent level will reverse one day and allen , etc will be great 3rd string or ps players

174. By Woodboat on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

The problem with keeping a guy like Sanford for special teams is that every guy on the squad needs to be capable of starting in this league… and he’s not. With injuries plagueing nearly every team, guys need to be able to answer the bell when the man in front of them goes down. Our best DBs should be our back-ups… that’s how far behind we are.

“Everyone in the league knows that the Vikings can’t cover anybody”
    – J. Gruden

175. By Mike R. on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

When the Vikings draft, they seem to draft and hope that some of the picks will pan out. They should be drafting positions of need and they should pick like that player WILL contribute now or in the future to the team. That means they may start from day one or spend time on special teams, etc.

176. By sandiamond on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Does anybody know if Mark Barron is slendid in pass coverage? He is an absolute beast at the line of scrimmage making tackles but we really don’t need another in-the-box safety

177. By Woodboat on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

My wishlist for 2012-2013

Concentrate on hiring/drafting an entirely new defensive backfield, keeping Winfield as either a safty or nickel. Of equal or greater importance, replace EVERY guy on the offensive line with young guys, not other peoples cast-offs (MAYBE keep Hutchinson… and Loadholt if you move him to RG(He’s WAY too slow to play tackle)). If necessary, replace the O-Line coach and DB coach.

If the team can’t attain at least an 8-8 season next year (assuming the O-Line and DBs get revamped), then I would think the organization had better look a bit more critically at the coaching.

178. By Mike R. on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

sandiamond

we need Ss and CBs that can tackle and pass cover. Gruden quote was spot on….

179. By Woodboat on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

I think it’s mandatroy that the team trade back in the first round to get more picks, unless there is a stud LT that won’t slide back far enough.

180. By TITANIUM TITUS on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Thank you Frederick. Is Webb playing in place of Ponder? I do believe if AP plays, he will be unstoppable. And if AP plays and the game gets physical and stays close, watch the Lions self-destruct like they have in recent weeks– they have to win this game for any shot at the playoffs. So, watch for them to get testy and stupid when they feel the game is on the line.

181. By Woodboat on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

I agree, Titus. With Suh and Fairly out, I think that there already weak run defense is going to have problems with the Vikes run game, assuming our O-Line performs at least average. I’d heard that Ponder was a game time decision… if he’s dragging that leg, I’d rather see Webb under center this week.

182. By sandiamond on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

I full agree woodboat! The 2nd round pick will already be like a 1st and the more the merrier in draft slots 8 -35 to finally get this team back on track

183. By TITANIUM TITUS on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Well, I promised no more predictions if we lost to the dirty birds, but I will say the Lions self-destruct with penalties…

184. By Mike Tice on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

I hope we draft a TE in the first round

185. By Mike Tice on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

and a fullback in the second and a qb in the third and a rb in the 4th and a de in the 5th and a dt in the 6th and a gaurd in the 7th

the only reason i say a guard in the 7th is to make fred happy

186. By Mike Tice on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

1st round TE

2nd round FB

3rd round QB

4th Round RB

5th round DE

6th round DT

7th round G

187. By James on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

We need Ponder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

188. By TITANIUM TITUS on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

BAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

189. By sandiamond on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

WR A. Holmes(cut by the vikings) activated from the Cowboys ps
    WR J. Johnson(cut by the vikings) activated from the Cardinals ps
    S Ahmad Black( passed in draft for raymond) activated from the Bucs ps

Interesting to see if any of these players compile stats by the eoy

190. By TITANIUM TITUS on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

To think, the Lions and Bills started so strong– many analysts had them ranked in the top ten about 5 weeks into the season– the Bills were in the top 5 I believe, maybe higher on Russkoffs’ rankings. Now look at both of them.

191. By TITANIUM TITUS on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

I would like to see the Saints or 49ers represent the NFC. Please, Packers, go away.

192. By Mike Tice on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

if Ponder cant go we should call Favre

193. By Mike R. on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Yeah Favre…and we should call Tice to coach or play TE..:-)

194. By Derrick.G on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

I saw webb bring in a nice pass last week against the broncos, it was called back because of a push off, but it was still a nice catch. I see those kinds of push offs all the time, and those rarely get called back. If it were T.O or Moss, the play would’ve stood.

195. By Derrick.G on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

That is an ugly draft Tice. lol.

196. By TITANIUM TITUS on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Bring on the Kitty Kats!!!

197. By Mike B. on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Well it’s the night before the game. It should be another good game and hoping for a Vikings Win. Take care all

198. By TITANIUM TITUS on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

No predictions because I promised. But I guarantee a win…

199. By Viking-ology on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

I agree with Woodboat-our defense needs an overhaul. Frazier MUST fire the defensive coordinator and bring in a new scheme, look what Wade Phillips has done to the Texan’s defense that’s what we need. I’m OK with Frazier and Musgrave for another year to prove their worth, but the defense has to change.

200. By Viking-ology on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Peterson should take another week off to heal, but Ponder needs to play, he needs the experience. Besides it will keep the O-line on their toes to protect him. I think the Vikes will insert Webb more times at QB to keep Detroit off-balanced.

201. By TITANIUM TITUS on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Webb at QB to throw Detroit off balance? Huh? If I remember correctly, Webb had an atrocious outing versus the Lions last season–his worst showing as a QB.

202. By gubber on Dec 11, 2011 | Reply

If Kalil does indeed stay in school it still doesn’t change the fact that the o-line is a shambles and needs immediate attention. The Redskin’s ( at #5 ) QBs aren’t anyting to write home about, and may want at shot at Barkley or Griffin along with the Dolphins ( at #9 ) so we may want to look to deal with these teams. Martin or DeCastro are both solid picks and Reiff is no slouch either. With our second rounders we could move to CB Chase Minnifield ( Virginia ) and WR Reuben Randle ( LSU ). Both from good football schools and both solid picks. In the third you could go S Markelle Martin ( Oklahoma State ) who I personally really like. If the Vikes lose out it gives us a lot more options on draft day, and that’s why Adrian’s most dangerous activity the rest of this season would only be stepping off curbs. Let’s not also forget you can plug a couple of holes through free agency or trades, and I still say both Allen and Shiancoe should be on the block. Move em while they still have value and let’s get this team younger and with the outlook for a bright future.

203. By Mike R. on Dec 11, 2011 | Reply

gubber

I believe DeCastro is an OG. But I was looking at Kalil as OT and DeCastro as OG for Vikings pick. I don’t think we will pick them up considering the fact Kalil stays in school and we go for CB or WR before we can get DeCastro.

204. By Mike R. on Dec 11, 2011 | Reply

As far as Markelle Martin, I have not seen much about him. I kind of like safeties that have played in the SEC who have played top ranked SEC teams and held their own.

205. By DFish on Dec 11, 2011 | Reply

Webb!

206. By Deertracks on Dec 11, 2011 | Reply

.@Titus..Webb worst game last year vs Detroit? What game did you watch? Chris Collingworth and Al Michaeal annoucing that game, had nothing but high praise for Joe Webb! I watched that game again after reading your stupid Webb putdown…Webb is better then Ponder…

You, Mike B. and other anti-Webb clowns all want Joe traded, and keep kissing Ponders Rear End…You all and the Vikings Brainless Front Office want to get rid of a future great QB, just like Brad Jonhson, Rich Gannon..Both SuperBowl Winners…Geez!

207. By Deertracks on Dec 11, 2011 | Reply

Pardon the (sp) Brad Johnson…

208. By breezygolfer on Dec 11, 2011 | Reply

That was the most embarrassing game I have seen in a long time!
    I feel like I have been a loyal Vikings fan. But after todays game that team was not ready to play ball, the coaches obviously dont know what they are doing because the team was not prepared,no signs of improvement. Each week continues as the previous week – lousy. When I am done with this message I will be talking to my Representative because the Vikings do not deserve a new stadium. They are at best an NCAA II team.
    The Vikings have not earned a new stadium. Let them go.
    Is this going to be another MN Twins fiasco? Wise up folks!!!

209. By Old School on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

WORST VIKING TEAM EVER!

WORST GM EVER!

WORST COACH EVER!

This team will need 3 or 4 GREAT drafts to even be “ALL-RIGHT” in their own division!

That’s right……3 or 4 “GREAT DRAFTS” and we all know that not all drafts are going to be great!

This team should have been making changes for the last 3 years with the lack of a secondary and a aging D-Line!

I read that the ownership has given Frazier their vote of confindence…………..

LOOK, AFTER A SEASON WHERE YOU WIN JUST 2 GAMES………SOMEBODY NEEDS AXED!