Star-Studded Cast On-Hand For Vikings Pre-Game Activities Tomorrow

Posted by Mike Wobschall on December 3, 2011 – 7:02 pm

If the Vikings on-field performance Sunday matches the talent that will be on-hand to execute several pre-game activities, fans will be in for a great afternoon at Mall of America Field.

Sounding the Gjallarhorn prior to kickoff will be Hall of Famer and former Minnesota Twins star Paul Molitor. The 7-time All-Star, 4-time Silver Slugger Award winner and 1993 World Series MVP is a St. Paul, Minnesota native and played for the Twins from 1996-98. He was drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers and played there from 1978-92, then played for the Toronto Blue Jays from 1993-95 before joining the Twins in ’96.

Serving as the Vikings Honorary Captain on Sunday will be another Twins legend – Dave Winfield. Also a St. Paul native, Winfield was an exceptional athlete and starred at the University of Minnesota in both baseball and basketball. Winfield played for 6 different teams, including the Twins from 1993-94. In his pro baseball career, Winfield was a 12-time All-Star, 7-time Gold Glove winner, 6-time Silver Slugger Award winner and World Series champion in 1992.

Amazingly enough, Winfield was drafted by 4 teams in 3 separate professional sports. The San Diego Padres selected him as a pitcher, the Atlanta Hawks of the NBA and the Utah Stars of the ABA choose him in their drafts, and then the Vikings drafted him in the 17th round of the 1973 NFL Draft.

Singing the National Anthem on Sunday will be Ruben Studdard, the winner of Season 2 of the hit FOX show America Idol. Studdard received a Grammy Award nomination in December 2003 for Best Male R&B Vocal Performance for “Superstar.” In the years following Idol, Studdard has released four studio albums, including his most recent disc, 2009’s “Love Is.”

66 Responses to “Star-Studded Cast On-Hand For Vikings Pre-Game Activities Tomorrow”

1. By TITANIUM TITUS on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

BAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

2. By TITANIUM TITUS on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

Please explain to me the opening line of this article.

3. By TITANIUM TITUS on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

I wonder if we really do have baseball players on the field every week.

4. By TITANIUM TITUS on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

That may account for the 2-9 record.

5. By TITANIUM TITUS on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

I would make a prediction for the Broncos game tomorrow, but alas, I promised to refrain from any more prognostications if the dirty birds proved victorious.

6. By Jdude on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

Why are we doing Twins players instead of Hall of Fame Vikings players. Are they to Disgraced to show or something.

7. By TITANIUM TITUS on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

Something is very wrong in Denmark. Baseball players. It’s like having tennis stars on the ice before a Wild game. And now John McEnroe to throw out the puck.

8. By VegasVike on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

John McEnroe is gonna throw out the first puck?!? That’s awesome! I wonder if he is also responsible for throwing out McNabb and Berrian???
    Thanks for the refrain Titus, you are a man of your words. I’ll do it for you, I made no pact.
    Vikings- 24 Broncos – 20

9. By TITANIUM TITUS on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

It has not been easy Vegas– in fact, I have not posted an entry since Sunday– I was watching the blog from afar– it can be a waste of time and there sure are a lot of immature people writing comments– I really noticed it as I removed myself– kind of like watching drunks at a party when you are sober.

10. By TheRealDon on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

@Titus..The funny thing is I was wondering who would be doing that..

11. By Mike R. on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

Will the Vikings able to contain Tebow? Will he have more rushing yards than passing yards? Keep an eye on WR Eric Decker. He was drafted from the Vikings backyard (U of Minn)

12. By SaltyDog on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

I’ll toss out a prediction tooj. Vikingsg 17, Broncos 15. Our secondary is terrible, however Tebow can’t throw. The broncos play a more college style offense, and our defense is more of a college level of ability. Should be a good matchup.

13. By Mike B. on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

I am hoping for a Viking Win tomorrow. It will be a tough game. Goo Vikings
    Barrrooooooh

14. By VegasVike on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

Haha Titus! Yes I’ve contained my blogging somewhat also. I’ve noticed the withdrawal of both you and Nova. It’s not the same without you guys.

15. By Mike B. on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

How’s it going Vegas Vike and hi

16. By VegasVike on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

Good Mike B, been working lots and the weather is very Minnesota like! I was out hanging x mas lights Wednesday in shorts and a t shirt and Thursday it snowed in the higher elevations, crazy!

17. By YORTZME on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

I have an idea for those who decide who blows the horn. I think letting needy children blow the horn this time of the year would gain more sympathy from people. It would be better then having someone from a different sport do it.. Otherwise “Tis the age of sage!” We should have him blow the horn.

18. By VegasVike on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

Kudos YORTZME, good idea.

19. By TITANIUM TITUS on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

Vegas, today it snowed at all elevations, although only a couple inches.

20. By YORTZME on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

Being from MN, I feel bad that people are using this site for the personal “HOW DO YOU DO” stuff. What does it feel like.

21. By VegasVike on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

Haha, well if I remember Minnesota correctly there is not too many elevations. Didn’t a glacier pass through there a few years ago?
    Great news! The Vikings game will be broadcasted here tomorrow! Can’t wait hopefully it will be a good watch.

22. By TITANIUM TITUS on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

Exactly Vegas– my point that when it snows here, there is no escape. You just drive off the mountain if you want dry land. I think it should be a good game– we may be able to win this one, but I am not predicting anything.

23. By Frederick Jones on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

Titus in the House…

24. By Frederick Jones on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

TITUS FOR GENERAL MANAGER!
    titus for general manager!!
    TITUS FOR GENERAL MANAGER!!! :) :) :)

25. By TITANIUM TITUS on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

No, I am not an expert on football, although I would play to win, and do whatever it takes to win. No games, no excuses. Build the team from the foundation up– great O Line and defense and a good quarterback– the rest is elementary. Perform or you’re outta here!!!

26. By VegasVike on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

Yes you best not! I’m thinking you should predict a loss and maybe we’d win…. Next year!

27. By YORTZME on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

If I could make a sad face with letters “I WOULD!” Not just a glacier past through here but the Norwegian Vikings did as well. They made their way through the great lakes to the land of Duluth!

28. By Jdude on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

We’ll You got my vote. Titus for manager.

29. By VegasVike on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

Try it! I dare you!!

30. By VegasVike on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

Welcome to the Land-O-Blogs YORTZME, I’m an Albert Lea native but escaped in 1984. Always thought I would move back but now I’m content to know I’ll never need a snow shovel again! What does YORTZME stand for?

31. By YORTZME on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

Win or not! Despite the fact that a very good WR will be available come draft day, The OT position will be taken care of by our couching staff. I hope the coaching staff will take the OT position more serious then that of the WR problem. What do you all think?

32. By YORTZME on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

YORTZME stands for my backwards stance of life. “my name backwards” da!

33. By YORTZME on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

Cold and shoveling gives you strength! Lets get back to the VIkings talk.

34. By Mike R. on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

YORTZME

Yes. I think OT is priority. OG is also. WR needs to be filled but not too high a draft pick. Some of great receivers came out in later rounds.

35. By TITANIUM TITUS on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

Well, by the trend, I think it safe to say, we will sign Sidney Rice soon.

36. By VegasVike on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

Oh man!! Titus! You can’t stop predicting can you?!? Please predict T.O., we could use him.

37. By TITANIUM TITUS on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

Vegas, T.O. does not fit the Vikings’ recent M.O. Sapp, Sage, and now Sidney– and I threw in some alliteration free of charge.

38. By YORTZME on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

Mr. injury Rice please NOT. I would rather us get Blackmon or Mike Adams

39. By TITANIUM TITUS on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

I am just sayin’– it seems every time we turn around, someone we traded away is coming back. Some sort of boomerang trade.

40. By TITANIUM TITUS on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

Well, gang, I am going to do a little reading and hit the hay–I will sound my victory horn.

41. By Parody on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

Sure, but Rice wasn’t a trade-away. He was a walk-away. I think the last guy we traded away (who hasn’t come back already) was a backup DE…possibly in the same trade with Sapp? I don’t think the team has any need for more DEs right now though…

42. By thatissomeBS on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

How about Kalil in the first round. Alfonzo Dennard or Jannoris Jenkins in the 2nd. And just for a little bit of fun, my fellow Iowan Marvin McNutt in the third.

43. By Mike R. on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

thatissomeBS

I like Kalil in 1st. Looking at WR Jones,NC or CB Banks,Miss St in 2nd. For fun, I like an OG (DeCastro,Stanford or Foreman,Mich St) to protect Ponder a lil bit more

44. By thatissomeBS on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

Parody,
    Rice wasn’t a walk away, he was a push away. We weren’t the highest bidder because we never placed a bid. I have no real point except that calling him a walk away paints a little negative light on Sydney, when Sidney would probably have insta-signed to stay with the Vikes.

45. By Deertracks on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

Vegas…..From Albert Lee? Then you know that Minnesota is mostly flat as a dried out cow pie, unless of course you would be from Walnut Grove, where Little Joe from “Little House on the Paraire” used to poke his herd of cows in the butt with a sharp stick, while walking on the mountion sides..

Maybe someone could find that sharp stick and poke a few Vikings in the butt to wake them up…Or find Frazier..Or anybody in the front office…Ya, that’s even better…

46. By Parody on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

Okay, so since everybody else is making a mock draft, I’ll take a shot at it too. This is based on the presumption that we’ll be getting a 4th and 6th round compensatory pick for the loss of Edwards and Rice. I’m also basing this on the presumption that the team is completely non-existant in free agency, (there’s only so much one can realistically predict at once).

1. Kalil (OT)
    2. Barron (SS) [Trade down for extra 4th]
    3. Banks/Judie (CB)
    4a. Tate (OLB) [This one may have some people confused, but he's big and fast, and could help solve the problem with the underneath pässes that have been killing us in recent years]
    4b. Jenkins/McNutt (WR) [From trade]
    4c. Miller (G) [Compensatory for Rice]
    5. Steed (CB)
    6. Koger (TE) [Compensatory for Edwards, fills holes left by departure of Kleinsasser & Shiancoe]
    7a. Hartman (FS)
    7b. Best available (K) [On the assumption that there will be enough left-over compensatory picks to hit the Vikings after the 7th round]

47. By Parody on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

That scenario would give us the best Tackle and the best Strong Safety in the draft, plus we would get quality players at OLB, WR and G. The rest have more than enough potential to become starters on the team in a year or two. All my selections were based off the assumption that we’ll stay at the #3 pick of the draft, with consideration for the ranking that CBS Sports has given all the prospects for the upcomming draft.

48. By Parody on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

That scenario would give us the best Tackle and the best Strong Safety in the draft, plus we would get quality players at CB, OLB, WR and G. The rest have more than enough potential to become starters on the team in a year or two. All my selections were based off the assumption that we’ll stay at the #3 pick of the draft, with consideration for the ranking that CBS Sports has given all the prospects for the upcomming draft.

49. By thatissomeBS on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

Parody:
    I would be happy with your draft, but I’d rather see a corner taken in the second round. The draft is deep this year at CB, which I think is a more glaring need than Safety. I think we can find a safety in free agency (yeah, I know you said assuming no free agency moves).

50. By Bigfan1 on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

Let’s have Jared Allen keep Tebow on his back today.

51. By sandiamond on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

Looks pretty good Parody except maybe the later rounds. Never heard of the corners, Steed and Banks
    The higher the rounds the more difficult it is for us fans to mock it up!

52. By sandiamond on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

Tebow-mania comes to Minnesota! Never has a single player brought so much conflict to NFL analysts and experts but will Jared Allen steal the show!!!!!

53. By Kody Wiig on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

I think e griff should play over robison he is bigger stronger and set the corner better but the way nobody else loses their job due to lack of production I am sure nothing will get done losing ray edwards really hurt our defense

54. By radzinwisconsin on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

Star-Studded really?

55. By TITANIUM TITUS on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

TEBOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

56. By Parody on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

Sandia – I’m not really familiar with any of them myself. I was making my picks based on team need, coupled with their projected draft value and whatever physical stats were advertised with them. The website I was checking out had height, weight, and 40 speed for every player. Both those corners look like a good mid-late selection because of their speed.

57. By Parody on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

Can anybody tell me why praying after a TD is now considered Tebowing? Tons of players have taken the time for prayer in between plays long before Timmy, so why is it all of sudden being named after him?

58. By ozzinator on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

Good question Parody.
    I wonder if it’s the media’s way of making a joke out of it?

59. By Parody on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

Maybe…I always thought it was a joke…

60. By Pud Grand on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

I thought it was customary to pray for a touchdown before it happens, just like you say “Hail Mary” before releasing the ball. (?)

61. By Derrick.G on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

62. By Derrick.G on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

T-Blow did nothing today, Our secondary left players wide open. A high school QB would have been able to make those plays.

63. By Rocksalt on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

YAY VIKINGS DBs………….YAY TEAM! GO VIKINGS!

64. By Rocksalt on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

YAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

65. By Rocksalt on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

YAY MISSED TACKLES……….YAY TEAM!

66. By YORTZME on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

Good mock draft “Parody” As we seen today, a CB that appear to wait for a WR to catch a ball then hit him is a practice we need to abandon. A SS that can help stop the run and has mild pass coverage ability would be nice. However I have notice the safety positions roll has, over the past 2-3 years been more of a deep threat stopper. The safeties we have now have failed at providing the over the top help. Sanford has been showing he can help the LB in stopping the run. He did a good Job at that today.