Pagac’s Background Will Help Vikings Prepare For Tebow, Broncos Running Game

Posted by Mike Wobschall on December 1, 2011 – 12:53 pm

We’re in an era of football now where one of the most valued attributes a college QB can possess is experience and familiarity with running a “pro style” offense. And that’s one of many reasons there is so much intrigue surrounding Broncos QB Tim Tebow right now – his most tangible attribute is the ability to run a college style offense in the NFL.

Tebow’s been a hard player for opposing defenses to contain of late, as he’s guided the Broncos to a 5-1 record since taking over as the team’s starter in Week 7. In a league that displays and glorifies prolific passing attacks, Tebow and the Broncos are racking up wins by running the football. Since Tebow was named Denver’s starter, the Broncos have a run-to-pass ratio of 249 to 135.

Much of the difficulty in stopping the Broncos rushing attack is that their scheme is not the standard NFL running scheme. It’s literally an option offense, similar to those you’d see watching college football on Saturdays. As good as the Vikings are at stopping the run, containing Tebow and the Broncos ground game on Sunday will be a tall task.

But there is good news. Vikings Defensive Coordinator Fred Pagac is no stranger to stopping the option offense. Pagac spent 23 years coaching at his alma mater – Ohio State University – and has seen plenty of the option offense in his day. In 1998 with Pagac as defensive coordinator, the Buckeyes led the nation in rushing defense, ranked 2nd in pass defense and were 4th in overall defense. Also, Ohio State played in 20 bowl games while Pagac was on staff.

Pagac’s long tenure in the college ranks will serve him and the Vikings defense well this week as they prepare to face Tebow, one of the best college players of all-time and a player who is doing in the NFL exactly what he did in college – win.

“Going back to college and playing option football,” Pagac responded when asked about the adjustments he had to make in preparing for Denver this week. “That’s part of their package now. They have different looks that they run base football out of, they have different looks that they’re running the spread zone reads, the option game, so obviously we’re going to have to be prepared on all facets of the game.”

As for Tebow specifically, Pagac, who has seen a countless number of impressive offensive players in his 34 years as a football coach, was complimentary in talking about the 2nd-year pro.

“He’s a competitive son of a gun that’s a good football player,” Pagac said. “Big, strong kid. Very, very competitive, and obviously he’s like playing with a second running back in the game and you’ve got to be alert to it.”

Tags:

34 Responses to “Pagac’s Background Will Help Vikings Prepare For Tebow, Broncos Running Game”

1. By Parody on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Go Tebow! Help us solidify a high draft pick this year…just don’t embarrass us too much…keep the game entertaining.

2. By Viking Joe on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

McNabb’s brief stay in Minnesota is over !!

3. By VikesfanNO on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Here we go with this horse and pony hype the defense ain’t gonna do jack let’s just evaluate the talent on the team and committ to getting rid of the waste that’s slowing us down and focus on getting back to bieng relevant because in case we forgot we have become irrelevant as of late and this Pagacknowshowtodefendthe optionplatTebowruns horse swallow don’t matter we probably won’t win we have to hear all the hype about “great practice during the week” and all this pig swallow only to come out on the losing end can we please end the madness and realize we are not a good team and that needs to be addressed ASAP seriously…Skol Vikings!!

4. By Roninmn.. on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Wow, I wonder if Tim Tebow will say a prayer for the Vikings to win this Sunday. lol

5. By Derrick.G on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Yep, watch in NFL Ta right now joe

6. By Derrick.G on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER PLEASE!!!
    The McNabb release should have happened weeks ago? Maybe? Idk….but a GM would.

7. By PhilB on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Yup, I don’t see this going well for the Vikings.

8. By Parody on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Wow, McNabb was released and we haven’t seen a blog about it? Instead, the site chooses to give us essentially repeat blogs about the “hype” and potential to win on Sunday…

Why am I not surprised?

Something big happens, but it could be taken in a negative light, so the site administrators are afraid to give it due consideration.

Personally, I don’t know how it helped to release McNabb. He wasn’t hurting the team from the sideline, and he appeared to be doing what he could to provide his veteran insight to Ponder on the sidelines. He must have been asking for his own release, hoping for the opportunity to take over for his hometown team in Chicago.

It didn’t work out for him here, but I still think he handled everything with class, even if he didn’t put forth the effort on the field. I hope things work out for him wherever he lands.

9. By Viking Joe on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

I think if Cutler is surely out for the rest of the year, the Bears might take a flyer on McNabb, good riddance !!!!

10. By Brad on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

It finally came and happened

11. By TheRealDon on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

So with him gone do we have the money to pick up a better corner than asher allen .

12. By Parody on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

I doubt that it’s very likely McNabb will land in Chicago though. They’re currently clawing for a wild card spot with 5-games to go. Atlanta and New York both have a good chance of pushing in front of Chicago as early as this week.

McNabb has failed miserably in the last 2-teams he was on, and Chicago needs someone who can win NOW. I think at best, he’d be a veteran backup for Chicago, and I seriously doubt that’s what he’s looking for.

13. By Parody on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Don – Who did you have in mind…and what good would it do the team to pick him up now? Anyone who is a free agent right now is very unlikely to have the skill to be reputable starter…even in front of someone like Asher Allen.

Right now, I can only assume that the team is freeing up roster space in hopes of hitting the jackpot on some overlooked young talent. It’s not very likely, but at least it shows that the team is making preparations for the future.

14. By TheRealDon on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

@Parody..I really didn’t have anybody in mind..I just really have a problem with asher allen always have..I never liked him as a starter..

15. By Parody on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Then again, how interesting would it be to have Ponder end his rookie year facing off against the Veteran that was signed to start in front of him? That sounds like a great way to end chapter one in the book of Chrîstian.

16. By Parody on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

…it would give an interesting twist to chapter 13 of the book of Donnovan too..

17. By TheRealDon on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Looking forward to see how the new safety’s play..

18. By Parody on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Or should we call that book The Fallen Eagle?

19. By Parody on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Wow….I was just looking over Denver’s roster, and came across something that really surprised me. Eric Decker’s home town caught my eye, so I looked into it and I think I might have actually played against him in high school!

He would have been a sophömore during my Senior year, and we played a game against Rocori every year. There’s no way a guy with that kind of talent wouldn’t have been starting as a freshman, especially in a school as small as Rocori.

Too bad I never thought to get his autograph…

20. By Parody on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Okay, scratch that. Decker’s college stats tell me he was held back a year, so he would have been a Freshman during my Senior year. Still, I would be VERY surprised if he wasn’t already starting for Rocori.

21. By Viking33 on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

They let McNabb go for monetary reasons I am sure – they had to sign a lot of Wal-Mart guys to replace all those IR guys.

22. By Viking33 on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Can’t comment on this article printed because it is not worth commenting on – and I tried but it was not printed, that is ok. Mr Wobshall – is there anyway that we can find out the status of the players that every blogger is asking about? Arceneaux – Love etc – I can’t for the life of me understand why we are not evaluating talent instead of playing people on the roster that clearly won’t and shouldn’t be here next year for various reasons. This seems to be a clouded issue that gets spun and spun. I did hear Coach Frazier say that they aren’t playing Love because they want to be fair to Ponder and not get Ponder hurt. My question is this then – is Love that bad and if he is let him go now, but I don’t think he is that bad and how could he be worse than Loadholt?

23. By CanadianVF on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Wow, with all that coaching experience maybe we should apply to play in the Big Ten, we are playing in the wrong league.

24. By Puckertrucker on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

To The Vikes and Fans:

It took only 11 weeks to get rid of a bad QB and it only took 5 weeks to ruin the Vikes season, I don’t know how you can praise Frazier for getting rid of McScabb when he should never have traded for him in the first place. He was a has been when Philly let him go. We should have used Joe Webb from the start he has some very good skills at QB at least He could have won 2 or 3 games before they put Ponder in, I mean C. Ponder is a good QB for as long as he has been playing and he will improve he just needs more playing time Ponder didn’t have the Luxury of sitting behind Farve the way A. Rogers of the cheese squeeze team had, what a 3 or 4 year learning curve before he started for the packers, No-wonder he was good when he started all he did was sit on his butt and learn defenses and his team didn’t have to dig themselves out of a hole like the Vikes had to do. Thanks to Fraziers bad decission to get McScabb and than let him play for 5 1/2 weeks before they put Ponder in a very tough game to begin his career no wonder He’s a little lost out there he doesn’t have all the Luxuries Rogers had.

The one and only PuckerTrucker!!!!!!!!

25. By Frederick Jones on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

@ Derrick G, Dave, TheRealDon, Mike B., Bill, Tyler Harris, Lou Betts, Dionte, and PuckerTrucker,

You guys are great but we are not seeing much HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER
    action are we?

I am not getting paid to do this! lol So I am not forming a club.

My predictions for next years draft….drum roll:

1st Round…Defensive Tackle
    2nd Round…Wide Receiver
    3rd Round…Running Back
    4th Round….Linebacker
    5th Round…Defensive Back
    6th Round…Quarterback
    7th Round…Offensive Lineman

Apparently that is what you all want, plus that is what you will get.
    Complaining about the Coaches or Players WON’T DO DIDDLEY.

“HEAR ME NAA AND BELIEVE ME LATOR!” (The correct spelling is lator!)
    Arnold Swartzenegger

26. By Frederick Jones on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

I might not be a genius…but anyone could do better drafting than the Vikings in the last ten years. If you are new to the blog, look at the drafts of 2003 and 2004.
    UNFREAKINGBELEIVABLYBAD!!!

A lot of those same dudes doing the drafting are still in the building. So why should you expect them to draft, trade, or deal for T, G, C, S, CB, or WRs?

You get what you play for!!!

HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER!

signed,

Frederick Jones (An army of One)

27. By Frederick Jones on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

I DON’T CARE WHUTTT YOU DO!
    —Robert Montgomery Knight

28. By sandiamond on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

Vikings 33 the word around the league is that Love doesn’t have the proper footwork to be a starter on the Line

29. By fmfan on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

Do to Tebow like teams do to Vick.. Make him throw the ball and don’t let him beat you running the ball ….

30. By snowro on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

I hope we crush Tebow! He drives me insane, I don’t understand why so many drool over the guy…

31. By Derrick.G on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

We do seem to have a good record against running QB’s. Last year against Vick, This year against Cam Newton, Next up is Tebow.

32. By Viking33 on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

@ Sanddiamond Thanks for the report – Love never had the proper footwork for pass protection in College – he was a Mauler in the run Game. At Tackle in College he could get away with it, all the Scouting reports said that he should move inside to Gaurd in the Pros because he can’t slide protect fast enough, but the Vikes want him to play Tackle. Trying to pound a Square Peg into a Rock…….

33. By sandiamond on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

Now I recall Love pounding the way for those Ark running backs. Maybe the coaches will wise up and move him to guard and let Love and C. Johnson platoon next year

34. By Morris on Dec 22, 2011 | Reply

It is suppose to be that the defense was tremendous, but there is the intangible “phenomenon Tebow”. I guess that deserves discussion about what the Broncos record would have Kyle Orton continued to play. It looked like a losing team with Orton. The D is great, but Tebow say what someone should get some credit for the 7-1. QB is usually judged by victory and defeat plain and simple. The numbers may not be there but the most important. Now this could be the Trent Dilfer argument again, but these reimbursements fourth quarter just make the discussion more interesting.anyway, for more news, we can visit http://www.tebowformvp.com/… thanx