Sunday’s Vikings-Broncos Game Brings Together Former Teammates Harvin, Tebow

Posted by Mike Wobschall on November 30, 2011 – 3:57 pm

It’s common for former college teammates to go up against each other in the NFL. But this Sunday when the Vikings and Broncos meet at Mall of America Field, there will be a prominent and illustrious college connection that will draw plenty of attention.

The Vikings drafted Percy Harvin out of the University of Florida with the #22 overall choice in 2009, and one year later the Broncos used the 25th overall pick to select Tim Tebow, also out of Florida. Together, Harvin and Tebow guided the Gators to BCS National Championships after both the 2006 and 2008 seasons. The Broncos also have DE Derrick Harvey on their roster, and Harvey was the defensive MVP of the title game following the 2006 season.

Harvin and Tebow accounted for 3TDs in the 2006 title game, with Harvin dashing in from 4 yards out to tally a TD run and Tebow tossing a 1-yard TD pass to WR Andre Caldwell in the 2nd quarter and then recording a TD run of his own from 1 yard out in the 4th quarter. Florida defeated Ohio State by a score of 41-14 to capture the championship.

In the title game following the 2008 season, Harvin and Tebow led the Gators to a 24-14 victory over Phil Loadholt’s Oklahoma Sooners. Harvin had a 2-yard TD run in the 2nd quarter and Tebow threw 2 TD passes in the game, one to Louis Murphy and another to David Nelson.

Tebow was on a conference call with Twin Cities reporters on Wednesday and had nothing but flattering words for his former teammate.

“I’ve definitely kept up with him and rooted for him,” Tebow said of Harvin. “He’s a great guy, great player, so I’ve been excited to see all the success that he’s had. He does definitely break the mold with how he plays, the skills that he has, so that’s been exciting to see. He can do so many things for a team, from punt return, kickoff return, running back, receiver, slot, whatever you need. Shoot, he can even line up at quarterback probably. He can be everything. I know he always has a good attitude about helping the team, so I just wish him the best and look forward to seeing him.”

You’re going to have a hard time finding a more prolific tandem in college football history. In just 3 seasons, Harvin generated 3,781 yards from scrimmage and 32 TDs, which is the most TDs by a WR in the history of the Gators football program. In 4 seasons, Tebow generated 12,233 yards from scrimmage to go along with 145 TDs – 88 passing TDs and 57 rushing TDs.

There also another notable college football reunion for Minnesotans coming up this weekend. Vikings CB Marcus Sherels attended the University of Minnesota with Broncos WR Eric Decker and practice squad quarterback Adam Weber. Decker is from Cold Spring, Minnesota and attended Rocori High School, Sherels is a Rochester, MN native and Weber was born in Shoreview and went to Mounds View.

Here are a few more college connections from the Vikings-Broncos matchup…
— Vikings LB Erin Henderson teamed with Broncos RB Lance Ball at Maryland
— Vikings DE D’Aundre Reed played with Broncos FB Spencer Larsen at Arizona
— Vikings S Jamarca Sanford and Broncos CB Cassius Vaughn teamed together at Mississippi
— At Notre Dame, Vikings C John Sullivan played with Broncos QB Brady Quinn and S David Bruton. Vikings TE Kyle Rudolph also teamed with Bruton for the Fighting Irish.
— Vikings DE Brian Robison, CB Cedric Griffin, Broncos WR Quan Cosby and OT Tony Hills were college teammates at Texas and played on the Longhorns 2005 National Championship winning team
— Vikings LB Xavier Adibi and Broncos WR Eddie Royal teamed together at Virginia Tech

Tags: ,

51 Responses to “Sunday’s Vikings-Broncos Game Brings Together Former Teammates Harvin, Tebow”

1. By TheRealDon on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

I guess with a season like this we have to talk about something..I will always support my team..But we have to start spending money i we want some key players..

2. By Mike B. on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

Neat Facts now we need to win games. Go Vikings.

3. By Mike B. on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

@TheRealDon No money going to be spent to get a big name in here this year. We have to deal with what we have unless we get more injuries. The Vikings are looking for bargins till the end of the season now.

4. By TheRealDon on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

@Mike b..Yea, I see that but I’m hoping they open their eye’s to the off season..We did nothing this off season but lose players

5. By Mike B. on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

I agree I am hoping that the bring in some good Free Agents as there is no way to get mark improvement with the draft only.

6. By Parody on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

RealDon – We were unable to spend much money this season. As it was, the team spent a majority of their effort in the shortened free agency period trying to find a way to bring the numbers below the salary cap’s maximum number. That included the efforts to resign Peterson while not going back above the cap.

Cutting McKinnie helped this out a lot, and the re-negotiated contract of Berrian did as well. It helped even more when he was finally cut, but that was long enough into the season that it didn’t matter anymore.

McNabb will likely be gone next year, so that will free up about $5million to work with. Shiancoe and Kleinsasser are both at the end of their contracts, which will make for another $6M unless they’re re-signed. EJ Henderson and Heath Farwell are both at the end of their contracts too. EJ is reportedly taking in $4.7 million this year, and Heath is reported at $2.5. With the declining productivity, EJ may not be worth a new contract, but we need to have a replacement ready to go if we don’t bring him back. As for Heath, at $2.5M, I wouldn’t want to get him back unless he can prove to be more than a stud on special teams.

Some other guys whose contracts are up this year include Guion, Camarillo, Tyrell Johnson, Dugan, Loeffler, Lorenzo Booker, Sullivan and Onatolu. I’d like to see some of these guys re-signed, most notably Booker and Onatolu. Guion could still be plenty useful, but he may demand too much for a back-up DT.

Overall though, I think we’ll have a lot more freedom in the salary cap next year to find some quality free agents.

7. By TheRealDon on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

@Parody..Thanks for breaking it down like you did..Yea I hope the front office wakes up this off season..Allot of dead weight on this team..

8. By Parody on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

In the offseason, we’ll need to begin filling a lot of holes. The only positions that I think we have locked down right now are RB, DE, and QB. We’re probably okay at TE right now too, but it would help to get a new contract for Shiancoe. Every other position is in need of an upgrade.

The biggest need at OL is LT. We may have some replacements on the team already for the guards and center, but we need to get a top-notch LT in free agency or the draft to return to being competitive.

We all know that a WR is the other huge need on offense. Without a true #1 WR, defenses won’t respect the pass game enough to give room for our offense to move on the ground, or time to move it in the air.

The DL needs a big powerful nose tackle. Someone who will demand multiple blockers and give no room for runs up the middle. We get a guy like that back on the line, and they return to the Purple People Eater status once more.

Linebackers are in need of a young MLB who can contend for the pass against some TE’s. Erin needs to continue to get better too, or we’ll need to find someone who can replace him.

At CB, I’d love to see someone added who has the instincts to knock the ball out of the air before it reaches its target. Cook looked like he was able, but even if we get him back, we’ll need one more guy who can do the same.

And at Safety, we need someone who can play the position! Someone who doesn’t bite on the run-fake, and doesn’t let anybody get behind him. It would be nice to have someone who is big enough to contend for the jump bälls too.

Longwell is getting any younger, and his leg looks like it’s losing power, so we’ll probably want to get a new young kicker next year too.

9. By Derek on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

Isn’t Chester Taylor available? I say bring him back!

10. By Parody on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

Chester Taylor is old and past his prime. He’d just be another money pit. Taking in a big paycheck for his experience, and giving little back to the team in production. That’s why the Bears got rid of him.

11. By SAN! JO!!!!! VIKING!! on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

rip minneapolis bridge diers gone not forgotten!!!!!go vikelife!!

12. By CanadianVF on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

@ Parody, good posts I like your thinking, well thought out.

13. By Mike J on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

Asher Allen is our starter this week again this is really starting to make me think Frazier doesn’t care about winning. I support my team every week and I dont understand why were still starting players who cripple us. And dont get your hopes up about us signing free agents this offseason because its been proven we rather go after the positions we have filled already the peoples in charge of making team decisions are confused and want to tear our team apart do something Mr. Wilf..

14. By xvike on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

Correction. Farwell isn’t even on the team anymore. He was cut b4 the season even started. I would’ve too considering the new kick off rule. Because of that, there are less returns. But i don’t think the vikings have enough to really make a big splash in free agency. I don’t know, this team needs a complete overhaul. This team is a mess. They have too many overpaid players. And the players who don’t make much, aren’t very good either.

15. By jack on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

vikings need to be pick 2 in the 2012 draft, draft some top rookies , like a cornerback and bench allen!!!! then get some good free agent players

16. By jack on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

vikings have a great team, i dont know why we can t win!!!!!!!!!!!

we have the best running back of the nfl!
    a veery great wide reciever, that can carry the team on his back!
    an experienced tight end!!!
    great guys in the offensive line , exept phil loadholt!!
    vikings couldn t let sidney rice go , but he is gone!
    and to finish the offense e have a rookie quarterback that is showing a great future , and next year he will be more confident!

in the defense e have two grat linebackers , kevin williams 6 time pro bowler and the best defensive end of the nfl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VIKINGS NEED TO DRAFT TYRANN MATHIEU AND JUSTIN BLACKMON!!!!! AND A FOOD RIGHT TACKLE!!!!!!

GOOOOOOOO VIIIIIKIIIIIIINGS

17. By Mike J on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

They need to start cleaning the house and only keep players based on their performance and potential. Start with Asher Allen he dont look any better then a scout team corner. If we get a top five draft pick trade it so we can get two first rounders. Draft a receivers, DB’s, and O lines with all our draft picks not positions that were good at already.

18. By Cali Packers Fan on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

You guys are gonna lose sunday to Tebow. TEBOW!! This guy is more popular than God. He’s gonna float around the field and kick your a**’s. Can I get an AMEN?!?

19. By sandiamond on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

CPF crawl back in ur hole! no rainbows in the dome sunday….

20. By skolpurpleandgold on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

at this point i think they should be playing alot more young guys/rookies and see what we have there. dont throw games but winning right now isnt as important as seeing what we have in young talent and looking forward to the draft. skol vikes

21. By KLAWZ on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

Agreed….get lost band waggon cali

22. By Parody on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

THanks for the correction xvike. The list I was going off of was something I put together some time over the summer,and I guess I didn’t do a good job of updating it. Even though he made the pro-bowl as a special teamer, I agree with the move. Unless he could earn a spot as a starter, he was just earning too much to justify keeping him on board.

Interesting sidenote – Heath is now a Seahawk. So it seems that Seattle is the place to go when Minnesota is through with you, much like Minnesota has become the place to go when Philidelphia is through with you. I wonder if the Seahawk fans are complaining about former Vikings as much as we complain about former Eagles…

23. By Frederick Jones on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

I’m going to have to get more dedicated towards reading ALL of the posts on Vikings.com!

I apologize ahead of time for missing some people.

This is the list I have for the HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER club:

:)Those that have written HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER or similar:
    Derrick G.
    Dave
    TheRealDon
    Mike B.
    PuckerTrucker

:)Those that have said they want to join but have yet to give the ONEROUS
    HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER or similar comment:

Bill
    Tyler Harris
    Lou Betts
    Dionte

HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER or BUST!!!

We really need all of you to mention the need of an outstanding
    GM for the 2012 season or sooner. Suggest some names if you can.

Brian Billick would certainly be a good GM!!!
    WHY you ask? Because we have 2, 289 VPs who obviously do not agree on
    personnel matters. NO ONE PERSON COULD BE THAT DUMB!!!

24. By Frederick Jones on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

@Parody,

You are right in some ways that our needs may be getting beyond OL, DB, and WR.

That is why we need a football man to become our new GENERAL MANAGER!

Perhaps we could consider Parody for the spot of GENERAL MANAGER!!!

25. By Frederick Jones on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

@Parody,

You knew McNabb wasn’t worth the price tag! Why did you spend all that money on him, when you KNEW that we needed OL and DB???

26. By Tim Tebow on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

With the help of our savior, the Bronco’s and I will triumph over the evil Vikings. The Minnesota Vikings have been serving Lucifer for years and need to be stopped. All of the Bronco players will be covered in holy water on Sunday. The evil that lies within Minnesota will be vanquished.

27. By Parody on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

Wait wait wait! I didn’t spend the money on McNabb! I wouldn’t even have had the bälls to draft Ponder. I was leaning towards Nick Fairley or Prince Amukamara (chances are I would have drafted him). But I would have been content with a guy like Nate Solder.

Now it’s all too obvious that we need better players at LT and Center (at the least). So in hindsight, I would be a lot happier with an OT in the first round. But we have Ponder now, and I’m excited for his future. IF I were to be the GM, I would put a lot of effort into trading down in the first round and using two of the top-3 picks (all in the first two rounds by virtue of the trade) of 2012 for the offensive line.

28. By Parody on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

Praise Tim Tebow! Vanquish us of the demons inside! Fred has convinced me that they hide under the guise of general managers….

29. By Parody on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

But yea…I was pretty disappointed when we drafted a QB AND traded for McNabb. I would have been content with one or the other, but doing both seemed to be overkill. I would have preferred we treated this season as a rebuilding one from day one of the draft. But now we have Ponder and we need to give him teammates who can ensure his success.

30. By DuaneN on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

Looking forward to this. Interested to see how Jared Allen handles Tebow.

Harvin and Tebow would be a great combo together.

31. By Parody on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

Harvin and Tebow WERE a great combo together…I think that was one of the main points of this article…

32. By VegasVike on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

Parody for GM!
    Cali for douche of the year!!

33. By Joe F on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

I love the optimism of getting some free agent help for the Vikings. My concern is that without a stadium solution what free agent would want to come to a team with no certainty they would be playing in Minnesota, and a rebuilding process that is going to take some time. Now if we had a deal for a new stadium, and a new GM (yes Fred I’m on the bandwagon) who wouldn’t have to pass it by 50 people to get some big name Free Agents to MN and signed, I think they would be onto something. The VIKINGS have some great corner pieces to build around. Honestly who wouldn’t want to play with future Hall of Fame players like Peterson and Allen?

34. By Parody on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

I’m wondering if anyone can help me out here. I’m trying to make guesses as to what compensatory selections we might get, and from what I’ve learned, I need to know how much players are earning who left the team in free agency AND how much we are paying players who we picked up in free agency.

I’ve been able to identify 9-players who will make the biggest difference in this equation for the Vikings.
    Players Lost Via Free Agency:
    Sidney Rice {5yrs, $41.0M}
    Ray Edwards {5yrs, $30.0M}
    Tarv Jacksn {2yrs, $ 8.0M}
    Ben . Leber {1yrs, $1.25M}
    Ryan . Cook {2yrs, $2.23M}
    Players Signed Via Free Agency:
    Charlie Johnson {3yrs, 10.5M}
    Remi . .Ayodele {3yrs, $9.0M}
    Michael Jenkins {3yrs, $?.?M}
    Devin Aromashodu{1yrs, $?.?M}

As you can see, there’s 2-WRs that we signed who I can’t find salary information for. If you know what their contract terms were, please let me know!

My general guess is that they’re earning something in the range of 3 and 1 million a year, respectively. But that’s just a guess. If it’s close, then we’re likely to get something in the range of a 3rd or(that’s or, NOT and/or) 4th round pick, and a 6th round pick as compensatory selections. The 6th round pick isn’t likely to ammount to much, but the potential 3rd rounder could provide us with a valuable DB, or future prospect at LB or WR if it’s selected well.

35. By PAUL M. on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

YOU KNOW WHAT?

AN ORGANIZATION THAT BLOCKS IT’S OWN FANS FROM HONEST COMMENTARY, JUST BECAUSE — AT TIMES – THAT COMMENTARY IS, AS MOST WOULD AGREE, JUSTIFIED CRITICISM, IS AN ORGANIZATION WHICH ONLY WANTS FANS WHO SHUT UP & BUY TICKETS & MERCHANDISE !!

I’VE BEEN BLOCKED FOR DAYS BECAUSE OF SOME ANAL-RETENTIVE’S LACK OF BREAST-FEEDING !

DON’T KNOW IF I’M COMING BACK!

36. By DWang on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Jenkins should be at 3 years 9 million, however I couldn’t find anything on devin Aromashodu, but I doubt it’s much.

37. By Bill on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

GO BRONCOS!!!!! GO TEBOW!!!! TEBOW WILL RUSH FOR 100+ YARDS! JARED ALLEN WILL NOT TOUCH TEBOW.

38. By sandiamond on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

nothing on Aromashodu either. Parody just go with his 2009 salary 460k or less, it was reported to be cheap. Are you saying we get two total compensatory picks from atl and seattle. I thought they came at the end of round 7?

39. By Parody on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Thanks Dwang. That was my guess on Jenkins, so it makes me feel more comfortable assuming that the guess on Aromashodu is also correct.

Adding them up, the 4-players we signed are averaging about $2-million less per year than the combination of Cook, Leber, Jackson and Edwards are earning with their new teams. If I understand that properly, it should equate to a 6th-round selection. This leaves Rice alone at the top, earning $8.2M per year, which should allow for the highest compensation possible with a 3rd-round selection.

40. By Parody on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

However, production and post-season accolades are supposed to play a part in the equation as well. All the players that walked have been underproducing this year, including Rice, so the pick may be dropped down to the 4th-round.

41. By sandiamond on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Parody , S. Rice is probably out for the season placed on IR yesterday fyi

42. By Parody on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

That’s why I mentioned the drawback from production. He still got a big contract, but I’m not sure how the NFL weighs all those variables when deciding compensatory picks. I did read that the value of the contract is the biggest factor, but the injury could be enough to knock it into the 4th or 5th round anyways.

43. By MMJM on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Been a Vikings fan since little girl, let’s just say a LONG time. Bunch of us spending a day traveling to see Sunday’s game. I bought tickets, reserved rooms for 2 day stay for 7 of us, all I could afford at the time. Love my Vikings and wanted to share the experience of watching our fave team, even bringing a friend who is a Broncos fan. Fractured my hip in a stupid accident couple months ago, 1st thing I thought of was the chances of my not making this very game, for 2 months been concentrating to heal and be able to go. I AM GOING TO MAKE IT!!!! Still on crutches, but going to be there. Sitting behind the Vikings’ team bench, row 6, kind of concerned about getting down ALL THOSE STEPS, bringing me to wonder: WHAT ARE THE CHANCES OF A BIG BURLEY VIKING ASSISTING ME DOWN THAT LONG STRETCH OF STAIRS???? haha, fyi – I did gain a good 8 #s, 2 months of laying around & with lack of exercise, having limited movement, but am still under 145 # (just in case). Good Luck to our Vikings!!
    My son, his friend and I attended the 50th Anniversary party, night before and the game, introducing the 50 greatest Vikings players, etc.etc. Great party & the game was the best, in the snow and all. THIS WAS ONE OF THE BEST TIMES OF MY LIFE!!!!! Yeah Vikings!

44. By Derrick.G on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Jared Allen will blow out Tebows knee. And will never be productive as a runner again. Which will make him worthless, cause we all know he can’t throw…
    HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER!
    HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER!
    HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER!
    HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER!

45. By Parody on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

@MMJM – I was at that game too! My sister visited from AZ and we decided to go to TCF Field for an outdoor Vikings experience. I can honestly say that it was the most fun I ever had watching my favorite team lose…and I didn’t even care for the stadium that much. It was just the thrill of being there in the snow watching football.

After that experience, I am convinced that the Vikings should build a roofless stadium. Unfortunately, the chumps running the state will never allow it if they’re going to supply any funding at all.

46. By Viking Charlie on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Hire Brian Billick as a General Manager or Head Coach!!!!!!!

47. By Viking Charlie on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Why not let Joe Webb return Kick-offs and Punts????

48. By Viking Charlie on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

If Joe Webb cannot catch very well, put him in the secondary. The man has speed and leaping ability!!!

49. By Jayson Child on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Parody, I am not a big fan of going after high price free agents to fill holes EXCEPT, I do think there is 1 free agent (probably high priced) that I think would be worth going after this off season and would definitely be an enormous impact to our 2012 season. I think the Vikes should make a big push to bring in LT D’brickenshaw Fergusen from the Jets.

50. By DuaneN on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

No kidding parody, was talking NFL.

Keep typing novels so you are NEVER misunderstood.

51. By vikingfan4life on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

I think we either draft Blackmon from OSU or Mathieu the kid from LSU. Our D-Line is playing well. Even our O-line isn’t doing THAT bad. But we need a deep threat wide receiver and a shutdown corner so we can stop playing this stupid zone that other teams are just picking apart. If the GM can’t see these things THEN get a new one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!