Vikings, Falcons Release Initial Injury Reports

Posted by Mike Wobschall on November 23, 2011 – 4:37 pm

The Vikings and Falcons each issued their first injury reports of the week in advance of their Week 12 showdown. And both injury reports look like a typical Week 12 injury report in the NFL – filled with lots of names.

For the Vikings, the following players did not practice: CB Chris Cook (not injury-related), S Husain Abdullah (concussion), RB Adrian Peterson (ankle), TE Kyle Rudolph (quad) and TE Visanthe Shiancoe (hamstring). Limited in Wednesday’s practice were LB Erin Henderson (hamstring), G Anthony Herrera (knee), QB Christian Ponder (knee) and WR Percy Harvin (ribs). Full participants in practice were DT Christian Ballard (hamstring), LT Charlie Johnson (achilles) and S Jamarca Sanford (shoulder).

For the Falcons, DE John Abraham, TE Tony Gonzalez and C Todd McClure were held out of practice with “not injury-related” designations. Also sitting out from practice were CB Brent Grimes (knee), CB Kelvin Hayden (toe) and WR Julio Jones (hamstring). Limited in practice were LT Sam Baker (back), G Justin Blalock (ankle), LB Curtis Lofton (ankle), S William Moore (quad) and DT Corey Peters (knee).

54 Responses to “Vikings, Falcons Release Initial Injury Reports”

1. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Ponder will have 300 yards passing.

2. By TheRealDon on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

With 3td & 45yrds rushing

3. By Sam on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Ponder is a joke! I thought that they made the change because he would give us a better chance to win? Well that haven’t happened!!!!! Frazier gave into the pressure. Fact of the matter is that McNabb had a two digit lead in all but one game that he started and the defense let the leads get away, how is that the quarterbacks fault? We will not win with ponder! He will look good running around in the pocket because he’s pretty moble, but that’s all he is. He won one game, McNabb won one game, look like a toss up to me. But don’t tell the fans you did this to give us a chance to win and we haven’t. Frazier is scared of the pressure and won’t put the man in that can win and is proven to be so MCNABB….. Frazier do the right thing, because either way if you don’t win you gonna get fired!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Sam, I do admit I was thinking about McNabb the other day– he and Ponder have the same record. Then again, McNabb played more games. McNabb was ineffectual in the second halves– yes we had big leads, but we didn’t add to them– we pretty much were 3 and out over and over — and any defense will begin to break down and give up a lead. So, it goes back to the offense. Ponder will be a very good quarterback.

5. By Sir Greasy Panda on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

McNabb can no longer move like he use to and his accuracy was horrendous. He was not hitting guys that were 10 or 15 yards open. Ponder has made mistakes but they arent ones that are due to inaccuracy. Whatever the reasons for his mistakes I’d rather he learns now in a season that will get us nowhere rather than playing McNabb who is not the long term answer to only prolong the maturity of Ponder.

6. By Sir Greasy Panda on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

What is the point of having McNabb win games now??? He shouldve won the ones he DID play in and maybe we wouldnt be at this point but he was horrible. Evaluate the youth talent, get rid of guys that are older and always hurt and build for the future. That is the only reason I still watch the games, to see the development of Ponder and our younger guys. I love watching Rudolph check into plays, I wish we threw to him more

7. By Sir Greasy Panda on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

A while back I listened to an argument on ESPN radio about good teams and bad teams. I forgot who the two guys were but thats not relevant. One of the guys said that good teams always find a way to win games, it may not be what they are known for but one phase of their game will rise to occasion and find a way. Bad teams will compete, because all teams are capable of winning, but there are some bad teams that always lose close games by small margins. The Vikings fall in that category, except for two games, we have been competitive in all our games but we have not been able to close games out. We lack that killer instinct that good teams have. The point is we are not that far from being a deep playoff team it will just take another 2 or 3 seasons until we are constantly in the playoffs. The Niners, Lions, and Texans always lost close games but now they are at the point when they are able to close most close games out.

8. By jman on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Sam three things our dfense rules, You have bad sense, and you`r probably just a cheese head.

9. By Kody Wiig on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Sam your take on Ponder is the f#$$%n joke ponder has shown our only spark dono could not play keep away with a freakin double digit lead ponder best plays are third down when your young mobile qb can’t make a three step drop without gettin smoked he has no chance to show his talent go talk sh!t somewhere else he is our future and he will be a consistant winner

10. By DRS on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

This is forwarded from Minnesota momentum

As you are probably aware, the Minnesota Senate announced two public hearings in the coming weeks to discuss a new publicly-owned, multi-purpose stadium for the State and the Vikings. The first of the two joint hearings will be in front of the Senate’s Tax Committee and the Local Government and Elections Committee next Tuesday, November 29, from 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. in Room 15 of the State Capitol, while the second hearing will take place one week later.

Senate Tax and Local Government and Elections Committees
    November 29, 2011
    9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
    Room 15
    State Capitol

Senate Tax and State Government Innovation and Veterans Committees
    December 6, 2011
    12:30 – 6:00 p.m.
    Room 15
    State Capitol

At the first hearing, the focus will be on stadium background and site-specific information. Representatives from the Vikings, the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission, Ramsey County and Minneapolis will testify. The committees will also allow public testimony from both stadium supporters and opponents.

This is a chance for you to make your voice heard. We encourage you to sign up in advance by contacting Beth Kadoun, Senate Tax Committee administrator, at beth.kadoun@senate.mn or 651.296.5640.

© 2010 Minnesota Vikings Football, LLC, All rights reserved.

11. By TheRealDon on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Hope they put Asher Allen on this list..

12. By Frederick Jones on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

According to Matt Blair, Jim Marshall rarely practiced. His excuse, “too tired.”

13. By Frederick Jones on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

no i didn’t forget

14. By Frederick Jones on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER!

15. By Frederick Jones on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

There are a lot of great ideas on the blog.
    The problem is WE as fans are not acting as
    a group. WE have NO POWER, unless we become
    a group.

Some say fire the coaches. Some say get rid of these players.
    Some argue against some of those things.

There is a solution.

HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER!

16. By Frederick Jones on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

No heads have to roll. We just need that person who
    can come in an organize the mess we call
    THE VIKINGS FRONT OFFICE.

It has to be a contributing factor. NO ONE PERSON COULD BE THAT DUMB and
    ignore the gaping (sp) holes in the Offensive Line and the Defensive Backs.

(You would be surprised how good the defense would look with an offensive line.)

17. By Frederick Jones on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

For Pete’s sake (literally) HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER!!!

18. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

What do you propose Fred? Fans Unite!

19. By Sam on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

It amazes me when fans can’t come up with a rational reason for their thoughts they want to sink to low blows and cheap shots. I’ve been a viking fan for more years than probably many of you have been alive, when they and the rams were on the electronic football table by matel. However, that’s a mute point. Ponder is not the long term solutions to this team and anybody who thinks so will be sadly disappointed when he flops. He’s doing well now because their is no expectations on him. If he loses well he’s a rookie, if he wins then he’s the answer. Wait to next year when the other teams learn his habits and really scout him, then you will talk him down. So you can keep your insults to yourself on the other side of the internet hidden in email land. We are fans with the right to voice our opinions and I will voice mine!!!! If you have another please post it and be respectful in the hidden land of the internet.

20. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

I agree with Sam. No need to shoot low blows at someone’s opinion. I disagreed with his post, but wrote my logic — without any personal insults.

21. By Sir Greasy Panda on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

Im just saying a couple of hall of fame and future hall of fame QBs didnt win many games their rookie season. Remember Brees wasnt Brees til he went to NO he was good in SD but not like he is now

22. By Sir Greasy Panda on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

its a process, for good QBs the game slows down when they know what they are doing and that takes time.

23. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

Panda– you were fine. There were a couple other posters that sounded like playground banter in third grade.

24. By Sir Greasy Panda on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

hopefully Musgrave can give the defense a heads up on what they are doing in ATL. The defense needs all the help it can get!

25. By Sir Greasy Panda on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

I wasnt worried about that Titus, I just think people need to wait to throw around such bold predictions with such small sample pieces. There was a time when playing a rookie QB was unheard of, now its draft them and win NOW. A lot of young guys have had good success but it is a process.

26. By Sir Greasy Panda on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

I must admit I get impatient and I wish Ponder could come in and win right away but I have to remind myself that its going to take time. He needs so many things like mini camps, a full training camp, more time to learn from Musgrave, better O line, a deep threat. All these things need time. Im thinking Super Bowl L!!! That’d be nice or even sooner

27. By Sir Greasy Panda on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

I heard Lions like cheese with their thanksgiving dinner!!!

28. By Joner on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

@ Sam

I agree that people shouldn’t be praising Ponder as the saviour quite yet but it’s far too early to judge him and asking to drop the kid for an old QB who won’t be here next season. Until we have drafted a LT that can actually block and protect our QB to give him time or a WR that can actually get open consistently (or ideally both), then it’s too difficult to judge him fairly.

If the QB is running out of the pocket most plays and has no time to make a decision and go through his reads, what is he supposed to do?

Look at Cutler as the perfect example. He was slated as being an awful QB last season and had the worst O-line in the NFL. This season, his blocking is much better and people have spoken a lot of good things about him and now he’s injured, their season is in jeopardy. He hasn’t improved as a QB in the last 6 months, it’s all to do with having more time because of better protection.

29. By 4eversteve on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

The O-line is one of the Vikings most pressing needs right now along will a good general manager. That being said, the O-line is the root of the teams problems, forcing the Vikings defense to play sometimes over 3/4 of the game and the secondary is very inexperience right now.That’s where a good general manager come in an evaluates the teams weaknesses and addresses the needs via the draft and free agency IMO more so the draft than free agency this requires some patience on the fans part. that’s never easy considering society today want instant gratification, a what have you done for me lately attitude is expected all the time. Signing to many free agents is like getting to much credit, the team pays for it later. Build via the draft for long term success has to be the game plan from here on out, assemble a great coaching staff. I would much rather have a bunch of hungry young smart football players with a great coaching staff verses a veteran filled roster of attitudes of been there done that with average coaching staff.

30. By 4eversteve on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

I’m sorry forgot my manners, I want to wish all the Viking fans out there and for that matter everyone else a very happy and safe Thanksgiving. Here’s to everyone, have a great day with family and friends.

31. By jdude on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

Sam i’m not going to insult you but can just not insult Ponder. He is a Rookie trying yo learn how to run an NFL offense. He is our future that’s why we drafted him. Just wait he’ll get better.

32. By RJ on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

Ponder is not the problem. our receivers suck. moss should have retired a viking. offensive line is TERRIBLE. there is no explosiveness anymore from our offense. our secondary loves to give up in coverage. i always see receivers catch everything against our secondary in double or triple coverage. this year is not our year. throw in our 2nd or 3rd string team.. jared allens our d and a.p. is our offense this year. skol vikings

33. By Justin F on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

Ponder will succeed if he has great teammates to work with. The haters can go to h ell.

34. By Derrick.G on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

I agree with Frederick on his Hire a GM. Our front office is a mess….I would like to see a new OC but for now the GM is more important.

35. By Justin F on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

If we end up going 2-14, I think there will be major changes in the Vikings management, the biggest we’ve ever seen. Zygi will be making alot of changes, GM or not, all for the better. This team deserves a sweep across the board.

36. By CanadianVF on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

I wasn’t a believer on draft day but I am now. I believe we have found our franchise quarterback. Ponder has got me excited about the future. This year I believe we are seeing a ton of fresh new talent at the quarterback position coming out of the last draft and Ponder is one of them. He did not have the advantage of the ota’s and mini camps because of the lockout. If you watch the other rookie quarterbacks who are playing they all are having their ups and downs. Diid you see the stats they showed the other night on Thursday when they were interviewing John Elway and showed the first 7 games of his career vs Tebows first 7 games. Tebows were much better and Elway is now in the Hall of Fame. It takes time to develop as a quarterback in the NFL and get it figured out. Ponder is smart he is learning that some things he did in college he cannot do at this level. As I have learned though with my son who is a quarterback, if you do not have everyone doing their job on the offense, it is tough to do yours. We need to get him some help, like a deep threat who can get open, we still haven’t replaced Rice. Upgrades to the offensive line etc. I still believe he is going to be a good one, it is way too early to judge him.

37. By CanadianVF on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

One other thing that I forgot to say was I like what he is doing statistically in the red zone and on 3 rd down.

38. By MaryJ on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

I agree that we need to give Ponder a chance before we pass judgement. Yes, he’s made some mistakes, but did you see Matthew Stafford today? I also watched a few minutes of the Bengals game this past week and noticed Andy Dalton scramblling for his life and he certainly didn’t look impressive. I agree that Ponder doesn’t have a deep threat at WR, doesn’t have even an average OL. Pretty hard to do your best work when you are given the hand he’s been dealt. I was sceptical when the Vikings drafted him, however, he’s actually impressed me with his leadership, touch, accuracy, scrambling and his heart. He doesn’t quit! He also has decent arm strength which I wasn’t so sure about before. If he’s as intelligent as they say he is, he should only continue to improve and we will have finally put an end to the QB revolving door. I’m not worried about Ponder.

Now…the OL, WRs, and Secondary. That’s another story. We need to draft smart and also pick up some help via free agency. One other comment. I don’t think our coaching staff is getting the most out of our players. We have a few guys who go all out and put in 110% all of the time. However, there are so many who I don’t think are playing with the intensity needed at this level. One, being Percy Harvin. I finally saw some extra effort out of Percy Sunday after Adrian was injured. Why aren’t we seeing this kind of effort all of the time? There are others. I blame this on the coaching staff. Is it any wonder we got blown out of games early in the season in the second half? Why? I was beginning to think it was a conditioning problem. Conditioning or heart?

39. By MaryJ on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

I should have mentioned that Harvin has shown a Petersonlike effort many times. However, as of late, I haven’t seen this kind of intensity out of him on a consistent basis. The Vikings have been trying to find ways to get him the ball and I just think that he needs to step it up and play up to his potential. What is the saying…when much has been given, much is expected.

40. By Frederick Jones on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

NO HEADS HAVE TO ROLL. We just need that person who
    can come in and organize the mess we call
    THE VIKINGS FRONT OFFICE.

There are so many VPs sharing the top position that it has to be a contributing factor when it comes to the stupid drafts, free agency, and trades the Vikings have made in recent years.

NO ONE PERSON COULD BE THAT DUMB and
    ignore the gaping holes in the Offensive Line and the Defensive Backs.

(You would be surprised how good the defense would look with an above average offensive line.)

Frazier is trying to organize the TEAM, but he has no power. Give the coach some power!!!

41. By Frederick Jones on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

@MaryJ,

WE all agree don’t we that the OLs, DBs, and WRs need improvement.

Blame the stupid front office organization. Check how many VPs we have!!!???

The phrase, “Too many chiefs and not enough Indians” comes to mind!

WE should all use this phrase:

HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER!!!

42. By Frederick Jones on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER!!!

43. By Frederick Jones on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

hEy!!!

HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER!!!

44. By Frederick Jones on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

I can’t do it alone.

WE must work together.

or we will surely die watching 4-12, 3-13, etc. type seasons!

45. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

I tend to think we should give McNabb another try…….he surely must have had the time to consider his predicament, and with his competitive nature, he will no doubt have something to prove to the fans.

46. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

TRUE FANS UNITE! SUPPORT MCNABB!

47. By roy on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

I have a fan of the vikings since the 60″s. Allways rode hi and low with them. this year is the first time that i feel like to carings. they have been the disapointment of my life. and now , i dont care. i will hate the packers for life tho…

48. By jvernon on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

Ponder is young and he will learn. Vikes got to give him a #1 WR and o-line and he will be fine. Far as defense next year this what should happen. Cut Remi and Ballard starts, Resign EJ for a year not less a better option comes at MLB. Let Everson Griffin play WLB. Secondary Asher,Ty Johnson,and Sanford are FAs at the end of the year. Resign Sanford as a backup. Pick up a veteran CB and SS in FA. Cut Cedric Griffin also, he sucks. 1st pick should be the best cornerback avaiable. So the starters in the secondary shoul be Cook 1 FA CB 2 Winfield 3 1st round pick 4 FA SS and Adullah FS.

49. By sandiamond on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

Titus I believe Parody mentioned it was best to leave McNabb on the bench due to compensation(draft pick) The vikes will already be cut short on next year’s draft with just 1-5 picks. Number 6 goes to washington and a 7th round pick is completly worthless 90% of the time

50. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

Well, I still remain unwavering in my support for McNabb. You’re arguments have only served to solidify my opinion.

51. By Vikes#1fan on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

you cant support somone who can even make it to a reciver 5 yard away or throws a pick on the first game as a viking and leslie fraizer needs to go and singletary needs to be the man of the vikings

52. By CanadianVF on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

I do not think we want to make Singletary the head coach, just ask the 49ers. How about we make an offer to Steve Fisher, I think he would be a great addition to the Vikings?

53. By sandiamond on Nov 26, 2011 | Reply

Vikings rule out RB Peterson because of high ankle sprainNFL.com Wire Reports
    Published: Nov. 26, 2011 at 11:28 a.m.

54. By sandiamond on Nov 26, 2011 | Reply