Harvin’s Opportunities, Production On The Rise

Posted by Mike Wobschall on November 23, 2011 – 11:20 am

If Adrian Peterson is unable to play this Sunday, it’ll be Toby Gerhart who steps into the starting RB role and will shoulder much of the burden typically handled by the NFL’s best RB. While obviously no one wants to see Peterson miss a game, Vikings fans should be anxious to see what Gerhart – selected by the Vikings with a 2nd-round pick in 2010 – can do in a prominent offensive role.

But there’s also another dynamic to the Vikings offense which should be grabbing the attention of Vikings followers – Percy Harvin’s increasing opportunities and production. Yes, Gerhart is the “next man up” in a scenario where Peterson doesn’t play, but the trend in the Vikings offense also tells you that Harvin is poised to see an increased role.

Even with Peterson in the lineup, Harvin’s opportunities have increased over the last 4 games. Here are the number of touches-yards-TDs (not including kickoff returns) Harvin has had since Christian Ponder made his first start on October 23 against the Green Bay Packers: 4-23-0; 8-77-1; 9-70-0; 11-94-1. Also, the number of times he’s been targeted in each game as not declined: 3;5;8;8.

It’s clear that getting Harvin more involved in the offense has been a priority of the Vikings since Week 7, and that effort has even increased coming out of the team’s bye in Week 9. Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier spoke on this subject Monday, following his team’s loss to the Raiders in a game in which Harvin had 11 touches for 94 yards and 1 TD.

“One of the things coming out of the bye, is we wanted to come up with more ways to get Percy the football,” Frazier explained. “That’s what we have been trying to do and that’s what we wanted to do yesterday. The fact that Adrian wasn’t in the ball game created more opportunities for Percy, being such a focal point of our offense. But that’s one of the things we want to be able to do; get the ball in Percy’s hands in a variety of ways.”

Being productive in a variety of ways is the strongpoint of Harvin’s skill set. In 2009 as a rookie, Harvin established the Vikings record for the most combined yards with 2,081 (1,156 kickoff returns, 790 receiving, 135 rushing). Then in 2010, Harvin finished 2nd in the NFC and 5th in the NFL with 1,908 combined net yards.

Whether on ground or in the air, Harvin is a dynamic playmaker who will take pressure off of Gerhart should he take over for Peterson in the short-term.

Tags: , , ,

60 Responses to “Harvin’s Opportunities, Production On The Rise”

1. By Vikingsfool on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

You know Miller and Spaeth and Olsen and Walker.
    Kleinsasser, Shockey and Witten and Williams.
    But do you recall the newest tight end of all?
    Rudolpg the Vikings Tight End, the greatest hands of the batch. And if you ever watched him, you would yell what a catch, WHAT A CATCH!! All of the other Tight Ends, you would always hear their names, but they never let poor Rudolph, start in any Vikings Games. Maybe Sunday afternoon, Leslie comes to say. Rudolph if you catch that way, won’t you start the game today. Then ESPN Loves him, as they shouted out with Glee, WHOOPEE! Rudolph the Vikings Tight End, You’ll go down in History. THe Worst team in History!!!

2. By Vikingsfool on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

That means I think Rudolph should start, no poin in starting a hurt Shianco, there is absolutly no gain in it.

3. By ozzinator on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Ha ha Vikingsfool. Good post! I agree.

4. By ozzinator on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

good xmas spirit.

5. By Carl Brodin on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

What we need to do with Peterson out is yes see what Gerhart can do. Then Percy Harvin run game = Pitch plays to get him to the edge, Trap plays to get him up the middle, Screens to get him out onthe edge, 10-15 yrd slants, Mix this all up. Utilize Rudolph more this will get you some opportunities to take some shots on the outside. Use Aromashadu on combination slant patterns with Percy Harvin do the samething with other combinations of wr’s or wr’s&te’s or backs.

6. By Troutdaddy on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

You know, Havin and Rudolph are the go-to guys now. If we can keep them busy and then utilize Kleinsasser, Shianco and Camarillo for some over-the-middle stuff then our passing game could become more deadly. Looking for too much deep threat right now and until Petersons ankle gets better, we need a strategy. Frazier needs to shake things up in a big way. Ponder is doing great, but again the play calling has been predictable. Lastly, Frazier- WHERE IS WEBB??? C’MON MAN! You are wasting a valuable resource….

7. By GM on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

I bet they draft Trent Richardson in the 1st round. LOL

8. By GM on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Thank you Mike Wobschall for cleaning up the tag cloud!!! Great start!!! ;P

No more Favre or Chilly.

9. By koolie on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Is Randy Moss SidneyRice Benny Sapp Bernard Berrian Chester Taylor Darrell Bevell Kevin Williams and Sage Rosenfels STILL ON THE TEAM?

10. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Ah, now I know who vikingsfool is.

11. By truther on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

I will point this out one more time. Fraizier and Mussgrave wont leave all of our best Offensive weapons on the field at the same time. Thats what must happen to get some continuity and Timming amoung Ponder and our best players. This also keeps the Deffence guessing as to who the Ball is going to on every down. We must keep our wapons on the field together at least 85% of the time.

12. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Harvin was a running back in college, wasn’t he? He looked like one on Sunday.

13. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

truther, that has had me scratching my head quite often– Peterson out on clutch plays, etc– but if the coaches don’t know what they are doing, well…

14. By VegasVike on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

I gotta know Titus

15. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Could it be Old School?

16. By VegasVike on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

I don’t know, whomever it is I guess they are truly a Vikings fan. No packer fan would go to that much trouble to chart out a Vikings Xmas song….

17. By Deertracks on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Titus and Vegas, You are both correct…At first I tought Vikingsfool was juiat another Wisconsin Spitoon cleaner…

For Vikingsfool…I hope you have that little Santa Jingle copywritten and I hope you can get ESPN to let you sing it on camera…That was Funny!

18. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Oh for sure– he is a vikings fan– if you read all the posts of his carefully. He even went to the Bears-Vikes game at TCF stadium last year. One thing, Old School loved All Caps, so not sure. It could be Fire Childress. I lean toward Shawn, because of the MO of posting repetitive rants for a mile long– and also because Shawn has been missing for a majority of the posts lately– and he stopped right before vikingsfool showed up. But then again, this witty poem at the top does not sound like Shawn.

19. By Deertracks on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Titus and Vegas, You are both correct…At first I thought Vikingsfool was just another Wisconsin Spitoon cleaner…

20. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Then again, it could be Frederick Jones…

21. By Deertracks on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Don’t have spellcheck on my magic typing machinr, hence, a dobble post….

Something wrong with Mike, he let me get by with one…

22. By Deertracks on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Don’t have spellcheck on my magic typing machinr, hence, a double post….

Something wrong with Mike, he let me get by with one…again..

23. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

How did you double double post twice?

24. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

How did you double double post twice? I just tried it and the powers said– duplicate — you just said that!

25. By sandiamond on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

testing….

26. By sandiamond on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Oh well trying to post some good stuff on Harvin. He had 10 td’s on 26 touches in HS senior year

27. By Vikingsfool on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Titus,
    all kidding aside. I have never blogged untill two weeks ago when I was tired of seeing the Fire Fire Fire everyone. I have never blogged in here prior under the name Vikingsfool, nor have I ever blogged in here under another name. Therefore, you cannot guess who I am. All you need to know is I am a disgruntled Vikings fan, not so much over the team, but over the fans (although I would like to see some more talent at key positions).

28. By desanc on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

put joe webb at saftey

29. By Deertracks on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Titus, and others..Just go to the return arrow on left upper left side of your screen…Hit Before you change anything..This will bring up The post you just made…Change what you need and hit submit..

I used to get “duppicate” before also, but last couple of times, that didn’t show up…Just lucky I guess…But watch out! our pal Mikewill close that off, too..

30. By Deertracks on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Titus, and others..Just go to the return arrow on left upper left side of your screen…Hit it Before you change anything..This will bring up The post you just made…Change what you need and hit submit..

It still works…

31. By Deertracks on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

I used to get “duppicate” before also, but last couple of times, that didn’t show up…Just lucky I guess…But watch out! our pal Mike will close that off, too..

It still works…OK, Mike I won’t do it again..

32. By Derrick.G on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

That song was awesome Vikingsfool. Send it to ESPN.

33. By Derrick.G on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Which team has the most “Bandwagon” fans? 2009 Vikings or 2010 Packers?

34. By VegasVike on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

I would think the packers if you exclude ESPN and NFL Network… Those guys were ALL OVER the Vikes! Now they rarely mention them.

35. By Frederick Jones on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Hey Mike Wobschall,

Thanks for clearing the nametag cloud!

Now can we push for a GENERAL MANAGER???

36. By sandiamond on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Mike W get out of here and enjoy your thanksgiving tomorrow!

37. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Vikingsfool– I am with you on the fire comments— I saw it coming the moment Frazier was interim coach. I knew that a few bad games and everyone would be chanting the same line, but with Frazier instead of Chilly. I would think we see improvement by the middle of next season– there should be growth. Beyond that, the jury is out until the end of next season for me. I think Frazier will be a very good coach.

38. By VegasVike on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

If the Vikings released mcnabb and somebody picked him up they could use that money and sign TO for the rest ofvthe season

39. By Vikingsfool on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

If he gets a chance to be one. I’m hoping the Vikes will trade the high first round for a couple of second round picks. Right now I think the Vikes need all the building material they can get and three second round picks or two second round two third round picks could help. That high first round pick is tempting, but can be a big gamble. That first rounder is valuable and there are teams who are gonna give the farm for it, especially if they are looking to get a little “Luck”

40. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

This team would be 180 degree different with two or three good O linemen– well, very good, a long ball threat WR, and a better secondary. Sure, there are other needs, but strengthen those areas and Ponder/AP will be very productive. Our D overall has held teams to field goals or three and out numerous times this season– if we could just score more at least 24-28 points a game, we would be in great shape.

41. By Vikingsfool on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

We’ll see how Loadholt does next season. He is ok right now, but next year should be entering his prime. If he can hold up and Hutch gives the team two or three more years, then a decent LT is all that is really needed. Too bad the Vikes still don’t have Big mac and Birk. That’d be at least two more wins. Rice would be one more win, and Ponder from game one MIGHT have been another two wins. Put that together and that is an additional 5 games on top of two, 7 wins right now is a wet dream though.

42. By Vikingsfool on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Now I’m thinking too positive, I need to stop before I start sounding like a bafoon.

43. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Ha ha ha. Bafoon and Vikingsfool — sounds like another rhyme is coming.
    Well, we cannot go backwards– cannot change the past. But look at some of the QBs we could have gotten– like Palmer instead of McNabb. Anyway, what is done is done. I hope Frazier is calling Dungy and not Chilly for advice.

44. By CanadianVF on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

The Toronto papers were reporting that Harvin is going to replace AP on Sunday, is that true? According to Mike, Gerhart is the next man up. They are probably wrong , some reporter probably took a puck in the head at the leafs game yesterday. @ Vikingsfool, very funny, you have so much talent !

45. By greatirishpotatofamine on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

put joe webb at LT lets see what he can do too talented man to waste

46. By VegasVike on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

@vikingsfool… You’ve gone from MFing the regulars on this site to a meek individual for acceptance? After the green bay game you called everyone out claiming we weren’t ‘true’ fans because we’re frustrated with the current performance of the team. Now you’re chiming in with your own frustrations and wanna be one of the guys… Time YOU get called out bro

47. By Garrett on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Gerhart sucks. He is so slow. Do they honestly think he is going to do anything but clog up running lanes and get tackled. I sure hope they are not leaning on him doing anything spectacular for us to win…

48. By SaskatchewanVikesFan on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

ACTIVATE ARCENEAUX NOW!!!

49. By Frederick Jones on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

@Saskatchewan,

Sorry all your VPs can’t agree on activating Arceneaux. We might win
    if we activate him, but each VP is concerned with who gets the credit!!!

HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER

50. By Frederick Jones on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

No heads have to roll. We just need that person who
    can come in an organize the mess we call
    THE VIKINGS FRONT OFFICE.

It has to be a contributing factor. NO ONE PERSON COULD BE THAT DUMB and
    ignore the gaping (sp) holes in the Offensive Line and the Defensive Backs.

(You would be surprised how good the defense would look with an offensive line.)

Frazier is trying to organize the TEAM, but he has no power. Give the coach some power

51. By Frederick Jones on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER!!!

52. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

HA– Vegas, I remember the stoopid label we endured. But let it go. Maybe that is his way of making friends.

53. By Vikingsfool on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

Hey Vegas Vike, I dont need acceptance and some of you regulars need a good “MFING” because you cannot think before you post something. You deserve being called Stoopid when your acting like it. We are all frustrated, but you bafoons are taking out over the wrong aspects of the game. Get real man
    “I WATCH GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS SO I HAVE A GREAT FOOTBALL MIND” If you believe that then you deserve the stoopid label.

54. By ozzinator on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

Hey Vikingsfool, in the spirit of the day, lets call people turkeys instead of stoopids. What do ya think?

55. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

A leopard can hide his spots for only a moment.

56. By desanc on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

our vikings team has a solid overall core with harvin, rudolph, erin henderson, and ponder on the rise. we get a playmaker on the defense in the draft with our top 5 pick, draft o-line men and d-backs with the rest of our remaining picks and i believe a lot of things could turn around real quick. joe webb should get a shot as a strong safety; he might surprise some folks.

57. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

An apple does not fall far from the tree. HEE HEE HEE!

58. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

I must be off to write my memoirs……I fancy myself to be Robert Frost.

59. By angus on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

vikes need to play a wildcat with joe weeb in it, and use it at least 10 time a game

60. By VikesAreEpic on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

put joe webb at saftey lol