Vikings 4th-Quarter Rally Falls Short, Raiders Win 27-21

Posted by Mike Wobschall on November 20, 2011 – 4:16 pm

A strong effort in the 1st quarter and a scoring surge in the 4th quarter was not enough for the Vikings to overcome 21 second-quarter points allowed, the loss of Adrian Peterson and too many turnovers, as the Oakland Raiders scratched out a 27-21 victory at Mall of America Field on Sunday afternoon.

Coming off a poor outing last Monday night against Green Bay and returning home to face the AFC West-leading Raiders at home, the Vikings came out of the gates looking solid, and took a 7-3 lead into the 2nd quarter. The Vikings picked up 7 first downs, were 2 of 2 on 3rd downs, racked up 89 total yards and found the end zone on a 12-yard Peterson TD run in the opening quarter. Rookie QB Christian Ponder was 5 of 6 for 31 yards as well in the opening stanza, and it apparent the teams were in for an afternoon-long fight.

In the 2nd quarter, though, mistakes and misfortune turned the game around. Ponder threw an interception near the goal line, the Vikings botched a FG attempt, Lorenzo Booker fumbled a kickoff return, the Raiders outgained the Vikings 126-45 and Peterson was forced out of the game because of an ankle injury. It all added up to 21 points for the Raiders and zero points for the Vikings, and the visitors led 24-7 going into the locker room at halftime.

The key sequence in the 2nd quarter came after Raiders QB Carson Palmer found WR Chaz Schilens for an 11-yard TD score midway through the period. On the ensuing drive, the Vikings were set up for a 48-yard FG try when a mishandled snap led to a failed attempt. Eight plays later, Palmer guided the Raiders down to the goal line and RB Michael Bush finished the drive with a 2-yard TD plunge. Booker lost a fumble on the ensuing kick, and the Raiders scored yet another TD – this time on a Palmer sneak – to take a commanding 24-7 lead with just 12 seconds remaining in the 3rd quarter.

From that point on, though, the Vikings defense bowed up. Oakland was held to just 47 net yards, a 1 of 5 rate on 3rd down conversions and only 3 points in the 3rd quarter. The Vikings weren’t much better offensively, until the 4th quarter. Ponder found Percy Harvin for a 26-yard score on the first play of the quarter, the defense continued to play well, Letroy Guion blocked a FG attempt and then Ponder found fellow rookie Kyle Rudolph for another scoring, cutting into Oakland’s lead and making the score 27-21.

The Vikings defense did its job once again on Oakland’s next possession, forcing a punt and giving the ball back to Ponder and Co. for a try at a game-winning drive. Ponder found Michael Jenkins for one 1st down, but then the Raiders held on 4 consecutive plays to re-take possession and ultimately run the clock down to just 2 seconds remaining. A final desperation play didn’t work for the Vikings, and Oakland came away with a narrow 6-point victory after carrying a 17-point advantage into halftime.

The win improves Oakland’s record to 6-4 and gives them sole possession of 1st place in the AFC West. The Vikings drop to 2-8 on the season and will prepare for a road contest at Atlanta next week.

136 Responses to “Vikings 4th-Quarter Rally Falls Short, Raiders Win 27-21”

1. By TheRealDon on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Cover 2 and Asher Allen both need to go..Point Blank

2. By Daniel on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Ok fellas. Here is the real question. “Who should our first pick be?” I like the LT out of USC. Anyone else after is not what we need in rnd1. In 2, depends on our freeagentcy. We need a #1 wr , an “two” YES! “Two!” Safeties! A run stuffer, and someone opposite cook. Also slide johnson back to guard. And for God sakes! Get a dang Center!

3. By Kody Wiig on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Wow leaving game on five hour car ride home we are consistently getting worse ponder running for his life losing pat and ray has really hurt our run d and asher is so bad I did see we brought benny back he gotta start I would say bout makes me sick seeing em this bad!

4. By Canadian Vikes Fan on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Not that disheartening. These rest of the games are all pretty win-win, a win is a win but a loss is a better draft pick which we desperately need. A very talented high-profile cornerback would change the entire team. Ponder is a rookie, relax, interceptions are gonna happen look at Peyton Mannings rookie season, he’s getting experience on a bad team and has massive upside. One more big time receiver to compliment Percy and Rudolph and our receiving corp is incredibly dangerous and so young, we have a solid QB-receivng corp to grow and turn into an amazing offence with AP too.

5. By Parody on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

@Daniel – There’s so many holes on the team, I’d prefer to see us trade back and pick up a couple of extra picks. Then the team can get 2-OLinemen and a DB in the first two rounds. Hopefully a good speedy WR will show up in free agency or later rounds of the draft.

If we cover those areas in the offseason, this team just might have a chance to compete for a wild card spot next year.

6. By Parody on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

@Canadian Vikes Fan – Good point about Ponder. Another good example is Stafford. He spent his first two-years moving back and forth from the IR list. The Lions were patient and now he’s rewarding them with the best performance they’ve had from a QB in … well pretty much in the history of the franchise.

Give it time and see how Ponder learns from his mistakes.

7. By VegasVike on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

With as many holes as this team has I don’t know how anyone can point a finger at Ponder or judge his performance. He’s got no shot right now. I think he’s gonna be the next Fran. Get well soon AP!

8. By Anita on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

I agree that Ponder is a rookie and just needs some time and seasoning. Too bad we didn’t start him at the beginning of the year. I’m sure getting tired of spending a lot of money on old, broken down quarterbacks (not counting Brett, of course–that was a coaching or lack of coaching problem that we finally resolved.) WHERE ARE THE TRUE VIKING FANS? You say you’re a fan and you go to the game so don’t let the other team or the score get in your head. Keeping making noise and cheering for your team. One of the big advantages of the Metrodome is that other teams have difficulty with the noise level. Where were the fans in the 3rd quarter? I’m flying all the way from Alaska to catch the Vikes when they play Denver and I”m going to yell my lungs out every time the Broncos line up because that’s one way I can help my team. If you’re a fan and you go to a home game, do your job and support your team.

9. By vikemike on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

This team is years from competing

10. By Sweden Viking on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Ponder made some mistakes, but its hard not to when you don’t have any time to throw or any deep targets. Ponder will be a great QB and the Vikings future!

Ponder Ponder Ponder

11. By vikemike on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

They need a new LT, C, and move johnson to RG, A couple WRs, MLB, and 4 new DBs. Asher Allen may very well be the worst CB in th league and our safeties are special teamers at best. They need a few years to fix this mess of a team. Its time for the front office to step to the plate and make some wise moves for this team and with the guys up there, we can about guarantee that won’t happen

12. By Viking Joe on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

The OL and the secondary need to be revamped, they are terrible,I hope these areas are taken care of through free agency or through the draft.

13. By Maryland Boy Troy on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

The question is do the vikings have the personnel in the front office and scouting department to turn things around.I used to believe in Rick Spielman and company but now i have very little confidance in them.This team needs at least 2 or 3 good drafts to be competitive again.This is the worse viking team by far since the Les Steckel team..

14. By alex on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

I think this team needs at least 4……yes FOUR rookies to start from the draft next year. Two lineman, 1 CB, and a WR.

15. By wacky on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

O-MY-GOD!!!!!!! YOU CALL THIS A TEAM? WHAT A JOKE!! PLEASE….. WILL YOU QUIT PLAYING FOOTBALL? I’AM SICK OF SEEING THIS CR@P!!!!!!!!!!

16. By Brian Fantana on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Vikes should probably take a LT in the 1st round, but I want Blackmon sooooooooooo badly.

17. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Anita is right. Where are the true fans?

18. By Vikefan on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

We are back to the expansion days 1962 (2-8). I’ve never experienced such a bad season. We havnt won a superbowl, but as fans we aren’t used to loosing like this either. I really hope this isn’t these arent the last days of this franchise..,

19. By Maryland Boy Troy on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Peterrson gets hurt, Jared Allen no sacks today. Can it get any worse.The only thing positive is Ponder.

20. By Daniel on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

I still like the thought of a general manager. We need one. A good one. Someone to help bring perspective and thought to the table. Not just give full reign to spielman. No more Frailer, please. Cause we have the worst Cb’s and safeties, and have a former Cb great at the top? Come on Wolfs! Wake up! HELP THE FANS! MAKE SOME MOVES. IT’S A BUSINESS! IS THIS HOW YOU RUN YOUR BUSINESS?

21. By wacky on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

fan poll: Who made the badest plays? (ALL-OF-THE-ABOVE!)

22. By Daniel on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

We should move to a 3-4 too.

23. By CanadianVF on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

@ Anita, I totally agree with you ! I have never blogged before this season and I am stunned at the amount of negativity about the team on this site. I know we are having a tough season, but Viking fans need to look for the positives in the team, the small victories. We have a great young qb prospect, Kyle Rudolph is going to be great, Percy Harvin, can you believe how strong he his for his size, he is a minny AP, Jared Allens motor never stops running etc. I dream of the day when I will be able to afford to go to a home game in Minnesota. Fans who go to the games do not realize how fortunate they are ! I honestly do not know how these people walk to work each week on broken ankles from jumping on and off the bandwagon. These people who say things like they should trade AP for draft picks or bring back some player that used to play for us, clean house except for AP and Allen, I am not going to watch anymore games until they fire the coaching staff, you know what, go shoot yourself and put yourselves out of your misery. You are not true Viking Fans !!!!!!!

24. By fkj747 on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Red zone turnovers are killers. Amazing we came as close to winning with 3 of them. Ponder has to make better decisions. Yes he is a rookie and has good upside, but some of those throws into coverage are worrisome. I hope we take that corner from LSU, he can cover, tackle, and he is a ball hawk. Go Vikes!

25. By Justin F on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

First priority that should be taken in the offseason is replace some of the Offensive Line. Protecting our QB should be the most important. Next, draft a couple of safeties. Next, a couple of WR’s.

This is going to take 2 or 3 drafts, but it will be worth it in the end.

26. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Ah, a few true fans on here. I am not alone. Every change in the wind and most of the fans go with the breeze– no vision, no commitment.

27. By Daniel on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Hey Canadian Guy. Sit on it! How are you a fan and not be a critic? Real fans are not satisfied till results.

28. By DFish on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Another brutal loss today; but it is what it is sometimes. What’s interesting to me is; AP goes out with the injury, at that point offensively speaking, you lose a lot of experience and what drive the game for the Vikings, so therefore it comes down to attempting to win with athletic talent; so tell me, why did Joe Webb not even step foot on the field today?! If you’re not ganna use him, lose him, it’s not fair to restrict such talent if it could be utilized elsewhere. I’m not saying Webb should be in at QB over Ponder, I think that is a toss up, the obvious “we drafted Ponder in the first round so we better start him” takes precedence over Webb. I’m just noting, it’s worth getting him involved in the game somehow, and if you’re not going to, for the sake of a man’s career, let him go to another team that will. Don’t be selfish Vikings, there is no “I” in team and that holds true for every side of the ball; offense, defense and coaching/office.

29. By CanadianVF on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

The only reason we came close to winning is that the Oakland Raiders seem intent on leading the league in some category and it looks like they will be successfull in leading the league in penalties. Their second half implosion gave us a chance, but we made way too many mistakes to win that game.

30. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Daniel– are you on the field? No? Then sit on it! The point of being a fan is to support the team, especially when they are down– easy to support someone when they are performing to your expectations. It takes courage and integrity to lift someone or a team up when they let you down. No one in that locker room started this season with the goal of losing– I can just imagine, the coaches and players saying– Gee, we hope to be 2-8 after the Raiders game. Help them hold their head high– 90% of winning is mental – - attitude.

31. By CanadianVF on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

@ Daniel, “sit on it” ? thanks a lot for being so open to someone else’s opinion. I guess then you will never be satisfied until the Vikings win all their games, all the time. I believe the Packers are perfect at this point, maybe you should cheer for them instead.

32. By Kody Wiig on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Funny how nobody has even mentioned how undisciplined we have been this year today I personally watched our kick coverage sell out and give up the edge for big returns and how many illegal procedure penalties do we need to get fact is withfrazier so far we have taken a step back in fundamentals this nice guy coach sh!t is gettin old can we see a little emotion

33. By Sweden Viking on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

As a fan you should always support your team. I wear my purple with pride! But you also can critique your team. They are getting payed (a lot) to do their job. I try and stay positive and of cause its hard a season like this.
    But I’m convinced that with Ponder leading this team and AP, Harvin and Rudolph on offense and Jared leading the Defense. Add some players in the Draft and Free Agents and the Vikings will have a great team who will compete for the play-offs next season!

Skol Vikings !!!!

34. By Twoodsnvikes on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Kalil first if we plan to get McNutt in the 3rd round or can get Bowe in FA, otherwise we need a playmaking wr first round and go from there

35. By Sweden Viking on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Oh and Fire Bill Musgrave !!!! :)

36. By Parody on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

@Twoods – I don’t want to see the team waste a first-round pick on a WR. He won’t be able to make a difference on the team until we get an offensive line that can block. I’d be happy if the next couple of drafts are boring, with some high quality o-linemen topping the selections.

If the team is able to draft well, we can still get quality players in later rounds to fill skill positions. We already have AP, Harvin and Rudolph as top quality skill players anyways. Gerhart is probably up there too. We just need a couple of situational skill players to fill in the holes. None of these guys will be effective enough until we protect the QB. That should be our #1 priority. Second priority needs to be improving the pass defense. THEN we can fill the open skill positions with free agency or late draft picks.

37. By CanadianVF on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

@ Twoodsnvikes, I agree we have to get a deep threat playmaker, other teams are not afraid we are going to burn them, so it is easier to defend our offense and AP. I cannot see on the TV if our recievers are getting seperation and are open when Ponder is looking down field or does he just not have enough time to wait until they are open? @ Sweden Viking, I agree with the coaching. I just not sure this group can get it done. I know we have lost some players in the last two years but we were very close to going to the Super Bowl. To fall this far, this fast, is it just a lack of talent?

38. By Sweden Viking on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

@Parody – I agree 100%
    Lets just hope that Frazier and the Vikings see that as well…..

39. By CanadianVF on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Oakland seems to have found a good one in the fifth round who is a rookie, # 17 who played today against us today however.

40. By Twoodsnvikes on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Well I think it’s a chicken or the egg kind of thing, obviously we desperately need an Oline but I think we can find value in the 2nd-4th rounds if we aren’t taking McNutt and can’t get a WR in free agency, a big play maker will open up the field for AP, we could have the best Oline on the face of the planet but if they keep putting 10-11 guys in the box it isn’t going to matter much, I also think that Love can be a decent player I’m not sure why they aren’t giving him time Johnson is an absolute joke.

41. By Daniel on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

HEY Titus and Canadian tard. Are you guys for real?

42. By Viking-ology on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

I’m fine with Ponder-he made mistakes, but our O-line is crumbling around him. That final drive showed how we lack a big-time playmaker. I don’t know why Musgrave can’t design more TE plays, especially on that last drive. First of all we should have never run the third down play before the two minute warning-the play was rushed just to get it off in time. We were at mid-field and two minutes is plenty of time. Percy made a lot of plays but Musgrave should have had a designed play on the 4th down to a TE.

43. By Kody Wiig on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Yea it wouldn’t matter if we had megatron right now CP is running for his life every snap we can’t throw deep because no time I agree first and foremost o line whether its draft free agency whatever we owe it to ap to put together a dominant o line once for him and I bet that would change a lot including helping keep our d off the field all game

44. By Viking-ology on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Vikes entire coaching staff looks lost way too often.

45. By Kody Wiig on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

I also agree percy is a weapon but good offense is a group effort we are forcing it to him way too much

46. By Viking-ology on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

There is no consistency with this team-the coaches need to look at themselves. Frazier will have a pass but is he the right coach for re-grouping this team. There is no need for rebuilding- we have a good team, we just need a few key players in certain positions (we all know where). My point is look at how awful the 49ers have been, and look at them now. Is our coach capable of that…

47. By Twoodsnvikes on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Viking-ology: No our coaches won’t, frazier is a nice guy and all, and i know it works for some coaches, but when you see teams lacking in discipline it’s a coaching thing and he isn’t in their faces or holding players accountable

48. By Daniel on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Exactly People! We need to grow up in 2012! These next 2 or 3 years need to be our best rebuilding years, and that’s IF we get a building in Arden hills. Oh ya…. we suck.

49. By CanadianVF on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

@ Viking-ology, the big question is was it the coaching. I believe the coach was Singletary and by removing him from the 49 er’s, is that the reason for the dramatic change this year? What does Singletary coach on this team, linebackers ?

50. By Twoodsnvikes on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Second Round Kelechi Osemele OG
    Second Round Markelle Martin FS
    Third Round Nate Potter OT Trade down for extra fourth round
    Fourth Round Antonio Allen SS
    Fourth Round Donnie Fletcher CB

51. By Maryland Boy Troy on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Grades for vikings o-line.C Johnson = D S.Hutch = A J. Sullivan = D A. Herra = D P. Loadholt = C Enough said.

52. By Twoodsnvikes on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

You’re being generous MBT, more like:

Johnson: F-, Hutch: B-, Sullivan: F+, Berger: F-, Loadholt: D-

53. By Maryland Boy Troy on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

I guess i was grading on a curve due to my love for the vikes.Why is Asher Allen on the roster man does he suck.

54. By Viking Joe on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

The O-Line just flat out stinks, Hutch’s days are numbered, There will be better days, it can’t get any worse. Ponder is running for his life out there. He almost pulled it out he definitely has guts.

55. By Dueyz on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Our secondary is the worst I’ve ever seen in national football. O-Line folds more than a piece of paper in an origami store. No protection for young QB, and no lanes for star RB. Receiving core is mediocre on a good day. Head coach offers NO motivation or inspiration. We’ve done everything we can to sell ourselves out of MIN.

56. By VegasVike on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

@Titus- I have some concerns that your predictions may be the real ‘cloud’ that looms overhead…. Please predict a loss and let’s see what happens, kinda reverse karma lol.
    - and to those that will now blog I can’t be a true fan please be advised this is a spoof

57. By Regfan on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

This team is not on the same page…coaches aren’t either

58. By Viking-ology on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

CanadianVF That is my point-Singletary did not have it as a head coach- and our linebackers haven’t been as good as past years. You can’t hire friends as coaches like Frazier did. Frazier was an OK D coach-not great, why would anyone think he would be a great head coach?

59. By Viking-ology on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Offense and defense needs to be creative and Frazier needs to instill that-I have not seen any improvement or necessary changes to improve this team.

60. By Arrow86 on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Ponder is running for his life. Of course he’s going to force it, it’s human nature. PLEASE SPielman!! You have created this mess. Take one for the team. RESIGN, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY!!! We have two years of good drafts and much better coaching to reach a competitive level. I still say, we’re going to ruin A.P. before we get him a line to utilize his talent and we’ll be paying a ton of salary. A.P. You may consider pulling a Barry Sanders if the Vikes don’t get you some blockers. There is life after football!

61. By Viking-ology on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Ahh-haa! So its Titus’ fault-I knew there was something wrong, that makes more sense now! LOL Thanks Vegas for clearing that up for me!

62. By Arrow86 on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Ponder is running for his life. Of course he’s going to force it, it’s human nature. PLEASE SPielman!! You have created this mess. Take one for the team. RESIGN, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY!!! We have two years of good drafts and much better coaching to reach a competitive level. I still say, we’re going to ruin A.P. before we get him a line to utilize his talent and we’ll be paying a ton of salary. A.P. You may consider pulling a Barry Sanders if the Vikes don’t get you some blockers. There is life after football. Vikes fans, forget chipping in for a new stadium. Let’s pony up for 5 U-Hauls and get this O-line moving somewhere else.

63. By Viking-ology on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

BTW Miami is ahead of us in wins now-we have dropped to 29th place

64. By Arrow86 on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

The Raiders improvement stems from Hugh Jackson stating openly to his team. ” If you can’t get it done, I’m scouring the waiver wire on Tuesday. If I see someone else who can play better you’re gone.” Now that’s motivation. Asher…you’d get cut trying to be the Raiders water-guy.

65. By Viking-ology on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

More questions than answers in Minny these days. Vikes need to be relavant again.

66. By Arrow86 on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Someone suggested drafting Kelechi Osemele in the 2nd round. I’m all for it. THe only error I saw was that you listed him as an offensive guard. He’s playing left tackle for my beloved Iowa State Cyclones, thats why a freshman quarterback can play with a clear head, he doesn’t have to worry about getting his head knocked off from his blind side. That is why they knocked off #2 Friday night! Paul Rhoads is a phenomenal coach. All frustrated Vike fans should jump on the Cyclone bandwagon!

67. By Arrow86 on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Viking-ology:

I hope we don’t get the #1. I have so little faith in the knuckleheads in the front office, they’ll probably draft Ricky Rubio!!

68. By Viking-ology on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Arrow86 I couldn’t agree with you more! Frazier seems to be more worried about the players liking him than lighting a fire under their a55.

69. By Arrow86 on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Our best athlete, Webb, was once again fully utilized. These coaches are fools!

70. By Arrow86 on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Viking-ology: I’m sorry to be so negative. I can rarely sit through an entire Vike game anymore. I watch college football religiously. I see an undersized team like Iowa State, and a coaching staff that gives them their best chance to win each Saturday in one of the top 2 conferences. How can I watch the Vikes write checks week after week to players who never could play at the professional level. A coaching staff who is too slow to make the necessary adjustments in scheme or personnel. Benny Sapp was our best secondary guy today, and he’s had what, 4 practices? Do we really need to wait til next year to get some guys in who can play back there??

71. By Viking-ology on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

If Chilly was ‘Vanilla’, then what’s Frazier? I’ll say he’s ‘Simple Syrup’ (thats a baking term)

72. By Viking-ology on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Arrow86 I hear ya man-and I feel your pain!

73. By Dueyz on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

I’m ok with Ponders’ mistakes. For now. But he will develop bad habbits from nervousness if we don’t fix the O-Line. Loadholt doesn’t work. Smaller, quicker, more agile guys get around him or force a hold. I don’t have enough room in the blog to discuss our secondary. Musgrave, Pagac, and Frazier will not work. Priefer seems motivated and serious.

74. By Viking-ology on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

I honestly believe the Wilfs want to stay in Minny and build a Superbowl caliber team-but I think they are putting their trust in the wrong people.

75. By Tyler on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

On a good note Benny was shut down today

76. By Geiber on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Fire the whole O-line, everyone. They are junk complete junk, they basically ended Favre’s career and they are going to get CP injured.

77. By Dueyz on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Looking at SF this year verses last, Singletary’s story speaks for itself. I can’t imagine his version of success helping the VIKES achieve their goals.

78. By Frederick Jones on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

I love LA!

Then you can play the Raiders twice per year.

The majority of fans will not support the stadium. So unless
    you plan to get the support of a few multi-billionaires, ya had betta
    play in the dome next year, or go to LA.

[ Please understand, I would support a new stadium.}

79. By Dueyz on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

This poor season could cause recognition of key problems, and bring us into a very productive rebuilding stage. I hope we have the right minds in the right places to help us be a great team again and bring the Vikings a long overdue ring.

80. By Frederick Jones on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Dueyz,

The 49ers added several good rookies including the #7 pick in the draft who leads
    the SF team in sacks. They also changed the coaching staff…big time. They made an overhaul. It wasn’t just the head coach.

I’m telling you this because I want the Vikings to go a different route this year. It’s been proven time and again that firing a coach every year does not work.
    We need a new General Manager to replace the 231,889 Vice Presidents.

This system of VPs does not work well when you are trying to make
    big decisions in the draft, trades, or free agency.

WE WANT A GENERAL MANAGER TO REPLACE THE VPs :( :( :(

81. By Dueyz on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

…I also hope we have a stadium in MIN to bring a ring home to. I have no intentions on rooting for the Los Angeles Vikings.

82. By Frederick Jones on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

How to make myself unpopular.com

This one will get me some rips…

Tarvaris Jackson of the lowly Seahawks was ahead of
    the lowly Vikings QB C.Ponder by 6 points last week!

Should we be glad we got rid of the Tarvaris? THINK before you answer that one!

lol x 15 (I’m not saying TJack is better than Ponder.)

83. By Frederick Jones on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

No one can accuse me of wanting to get rid of TJack, who is still a quarterback in the making.

84. By Frederick Jones on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Actually it’s not out of the question the Tarvaris could be the better QB. Perhaps his career is similar to that of Terry Bradshaw (who only won 4 SBs).

85. By Viking-ology on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Perhaps the Seahawks simply have better coaching-But I will take Ponder over T-Jack without hesitation.

86. By Dueyz on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

I give SF full credit for any/all changes they made to help themselves be successful this season. I appreciate However, Singletary is not a good fit for MIN and our future goals.

87. By Viking-ology on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Look at all of the Superbowl winning coaches-then look at the ones who will never win. With the exception of Dungy (who had P. Manning) all the winning coaches had passion and fire. The so-called ‘Players coach’ is nothing more than just that.You cannot win a football game if you don’t hold players accountable (and coaches-including yourself) guess what kind of coach we have.

88. By Viking-ology on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

BTW my favorite coach has always been Bill Cowher.

89. By Dueyz on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

I’m unsure what T-Jack has to do in order to convince his following that his skill is not up to par. I am sure his career will do more than enough to show all of us his caliber, but some will always believe that his deficiencies are someone else’s fault.

90. By Viking-ology on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Frazier Presser: I’m really proud of our guys, I know we didn’t win but hey, winning isn’t everything. I’m sure I’ll be enthused about what I see in our practices before next game. Have I said Rah-Rah yet…

91. By Geiber on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

I want Mike Tomlin as a coach, he is the man. Genius! The way he runs the Steelers is perfect.

92. By mikebrown on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

gfuys stop with the 3-4 defense, you dont know the first thing about defensive schemes, give me a break……………if you say 3-4 defense who is gonna be the fourth LB, and where will you find a 330lb NT who is atheletic enough, btw our LBs are so overratted, its easier to fix the holes on this defense than to chenge the whole scheme, and please dont blame the mistakes of the OL on the secondary or the defense as a whole, if yoiu watched the game you would have realized that the opposing Dline was constantly in ponders lap, and its not easy making plays when you are running for your life

93. By Viking-ology on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

OK my venting is over-nite all. SKOL Vikings

94. By Geiber on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Or even Lovie, both of them are amazing at what they do. Let’s look for someone like that… so who’s available.

95. By mikebrown on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

this just in the intersection on 12th and hennepin is missing 5 pan-handleing b.u.m.s, you know the one right by the salvation army………….last seen were these b.u.m.s at the metrodome on the field with their faces in burried the turf obstructing the running lanes of a one adrian peterson and making things complicated for that dude from texas, they were reportedly trying to replace an offensive line…………..

96. By Geiber on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Our fourth LB should be Ben Leber but we let him go, that was smart, o what we let edwards go to and replaced him with Robison, o yea that was a good move too. What we let Lito Shepered get away to and Matt Birk and Darren Sharper just to name a few, but anyways I love look at our previous years draft picks they were all mostly worthless, like seriously Chris Cook in the 34th overall pick what the heck were they thinking so many of our picks are worthless!

97. By Geiber on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

I love how our defense is really only Greenway, E.J. Kevin and Allen who sure didn’t seem to even show up today. They seriously need to start doing something different with Allen swwap him with Robison swtich his sides make him do something different! They keep stacking him like mad!

98. By vlad19 on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

I know Ponder is a rookie, but wathicng him mishandle blitz is painful. He can’t make the “hot read” and is late delivering the ball when he has them open. BUT with this offensive line, I don’t know anyone who could be average let alone good… then throw in we line up with #3 receivers and practice squad guys (Cammarillo is NOT a professional WR), how can we expect more out of McNabb or Ponder.

But the basics of QB are reading defenses and picking up hot reads. Ponder does not do this very well. Panick? Maybe. But his pick at the 15 and then the pick on throw into EZ to Rudolph, he squeezes HIMSELF into situations and bad throws by minimizing the field. It is nice to have the weapon of his running ability – but this is always the praise of bad teams and bad QB play… “He sure can run”…

RUN FOREST, RUN!

99. By Geiber on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

vlad give him time he is smart he learns ok, he had no pre-season, although neither did Dalton but anyway, he will get better with time! Watching him take that hit today made me so mad at our line god! He probably just gets the pball and just gets rid of the thing as fast as possible otherwise he knows he will get hit ha ha.

100. By vlad19 on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Geiber, with respect, Greenway has not had much to prais this year. He takes bad angles and can’t cover the pass AT ALL. He appeared to be impact player (and was rewarded by big contract), but look at how average he has been this year…. NO PAT WILLIA. MS engaging blocks, often double teams, and Greenway was free to make plays unmolested. NOW? Pretty “active” guy, but lot of useless motion – he does not make plays – Henderson is also less than expected this year, but when line does not occupy the blocks, the second tier blocks are successful…

But please remember everyone, LBs are also part of pass defense, and ours is burnt toast. This is half the game. So, I think if we are honest, our LBs have been C- at best. Big moments but average in game.

You see the swing pass to TE and Greeway dives at his ankles…. and misses. Leaving Ced Griffin, human rice paper himself to stand the guy up and force him out short of first…. now WHOM is supposed to make that tackle? Just being hinest. Not much good going on on defense. Sad but true.

101. By Geiber on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

To me I think Ponder picks a reciever and if that 1 reciever is not open he runs it or make a terrible throw to another reciver who was not open and probably gets an interception.

102. By Geiber on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

vlad I agree 100%, I had a little lope prior to the game today but after today it really hit me how “junk” our entire team is now. But hey Kluwe had some good punts!

103. By vlad19 on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

Agreed Geiber regards to Ponder, but I still refer to the Pop Warner basics Ponder has abandoned. NOT good sign. I also question his arm strength when he does not set, his arm isn’t very good. And his propensity of NOT setting and stepping into some throws (albeit due to bad O line and great pressure) causes him to let it go UP, doesn’t stay on top of the ball – you get fliers like that big third down to Jenkins when he was wide open on skinny post and Ponder overthrew him uncontested.

Yes, hard work being competent with such bad O line and NO receivers. but I look at some basics he ignores. This is not a good sign. LOVE his running ability, but that is worthless unless he can play the QB position in some fundamentals first! Just my thoughts.

104. By vlad19 on Nov 20, 2011 | Reply

HA! Yea, and Kluwe also mishandled the snap on field goal….. this is one of THOSE seasons my friend. Even when finding the silver lining, we find out it is actually kinda gray…. This ia a game Ponder, the line and Kluwe gave away…. we lost by six, with two ints in red zone (the Int was at the 12-14, while thrown from 24 or so, I know, but certainly give away scoring opp) And Bookoer dumping the ball at their own 20…… GAVE this one away.

Frazier was quick to SHOW his players he was NOT accepting slackers like Bryant “Lazy-Boy” McKinnie, but has wussed out since…. Asher Allen? Berger? Charlie Brown Johnson? Loadholt? Abdullah-Sanford-Ty Johnson… our safeties are a JOKE…. No Frazier has given up hope they can field professional football players.

105. By Dueyz on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

I agree, Vlad. I do like Ponder, though, and would like to measure him more behind a good O-Line to get a better and more accurate reading of his capabilities. I do feel that he’s a rookie being forced under duress. Doesn’t mean he’s good or bad, just means I can’t be objective about his skills. Yet.

106. By Dueyz on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

I also agree, Vlad, on the players that need replaced at their positions. Coaches need changing too. Very melancholy attitude that lacks inspiration for a team that needs it.

107. By Geiber on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

Yea I agree with every thing you have said vlad well said.

108. By ponderfan7 on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

greenway leads are team in tackles he cant cover the WR’s thats the corners jobs but the corners don’t know that o BTW green way haters he had 15tackles today ponder has no time he got hit hard right when he snapped the ball so really he was forced into mistakes by are horrid oline so no blame on ponder from me

109. By DelawareDan on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

The vikings first pick needs to be the MOST DOMINATING DEFENSIVE PLAYER ON THE BOARD.

110. By PURPLE HORNET on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

WE NEED A KICKER THAT CAN REACH THE BACK OF THE END ZONE ALSO GUYS….I LIKE LONGWELL BUT ITS TIME…….

111. By Rocksalt on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

A TRUE FAN:
    Vikngs make stupid penalties at key times YAY!
    Vikings cannot stop opponents on key 3rd downs: HOORAY!
    Vikings unable to block for QB, RB: YAY! GO TEAM!
    Vikings bobble kickoff return and lose ball deep in own zone: YAY!
    Vikings WR drop the ball: HOORAY!
    Vikings look disorganized, uninspired: YAY!

112. By Rye on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

Ponder actually is doing good when you consider you can count 1-2 seconds before pressure arrives on most snaps. If you watch teams with good OL’s (the packers for instance), you can count to 3 or 4 on most snaps.

Ponder will be good and will get better. The OL is TERRIBLE. the secondary is TERRIBLE. The vikes also need at least one fast deep threat WR. Jenkins makes an awesome #2.

OL, Secondary, and a deep threat WR. If the vikings can manage to fix these area’s in the offseason, they will compete next year with Ponder at QB.

113. By mILITARYvIKING on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

OK Guys/Gals, STOP CURSING THE TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!! The question is this, who is on our team now that is young and can develop and who is going to be hitting the end of their career. Whom out of those that are in the prime of their career have given enough to our team to retire with us and who need to be cut lose or traded. This year and the next will be full-on redevelop years. Get a Stadium built and then in 2014 We will make the play-offs again in a brand new stadium with a hot young team.
    I hate to say it but in a weird since I want next year to suck too. We will have 2 to 3 rookies with good potential if we draft well and then we will still have 3 or 4 slots that will need to be filled we can’t clean house and have a full roster lol and we can’t draft and entire O-line and D Back field and 2 Wide-outs in 1 off season. That means we will still need a high draft pick going into 2013. Draft skill players first. 1CB, safety, 1Wide-out and 1 O-line should be this years draft class We have to pick the highest player first not the position. Reason being is because all 4 are just as bad.
    Hutch Gets to Retire a Vike if he wants, J Allen gets to Retire a Vike, A Win gets to retire a Vike, Jimmy K gets to Retire a Vike. That is it Everyone else is replaceable. “All Day” is amazing but I hate to say it with his new contract if he stops producing then he has negotiated his way out of MN and maybe out of the NFL altogether because no one will pick up a 6 to 8 year old back that for 10 mill a year that can’t be top 3 or 4 RB. Only Way Harvin Gets to stay is if he keeps his contract rate down or he doesn’t get jacked up in the next 3 years. Love Him and AP but they have a high possibility of a short shelf life.
    Now we have to look at replacing 5 to 6 players in 2-3 years just due to age not to mention Contracts that will end in the next 2 years.
    We have our work cut out for us, but 30 years later I am still a Fan win or lose. I just prefer to win and I hope the teams owners do the same. I also think the Vikings should be owned by a CO-OP not by just 1 person or Family. They mean that much to MN and the surrounding states (SD, ND, NE, IOWA).

One Last Thing NO MORE TAMPA TWO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it is a great run Defense but it is a passing league. Catch up!!

114. By DrinkHeavyVikingsFan on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

Granted, I did not have very high expectations for this year. I do like Frazier as a person, but I’m very concerned about what I’m not seeing right now, and that is progress. A lot of us knew going in that this was clearly going to be a rebuilding year fo rth Vikes – new coaching staff, lock-out, new QB, talent gaps on both sides of the ball-but the entire team seems to look more and more unprepared every weekend. There’s so much water in the boat at this point, it’s difficult to tell where all the leaks are. At this point, you can say it’s a little bit of everything, front office, coaches, playres, preparation, effort, heart, etc. So Viking players and coaches, if you say that you have the talent and know-how to win, show us fans some progress..Ponder can get his running done on a treadmill..we don’t need to see him running for his life behind 24 points every game..get with it and show some pride fellas! can you show us fans

115. By David P on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

We are looking at this all worng. If the vikings would have had OTa they would now be undefeated and the best team in the league. This coaching staff needs to get out of Minnesota. They cannot coach and it shows every week. What a freaking joke? And how do the vikings fix these problems? They delete the Submit your questions blog. It gets better every week. Again 4 players show up to play and the rest who knows what the h4ll they are doing? The coaches definitely do not.

116. By Deertracks on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

DFish: The reason Webb isn’t really being played is unknown..Even Frazier, standing on the sidelines with a blank stare, doesn’t know…You are correct in the statement play Webb or lose him…either get him some playing time or trade him to a team that knows good talent…

117. By Woodboat on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

@ CanadianVF and to some extent, Titus….

All of us “non-fans” that post here criticizing the team really enjoy your overly-optimistic posts. Gives us something to shake our heads about.

Yeah, we could all rally around “HEY, we are the best at keeping our cleats tied in the month of october!”. Personally, I’ve never been a proponent of the “all carrot, no stick” approach. Reward positive achievement with praise, certainly, but to not point out the negatives is simply idiotic.

There is no “bandwagon jumping” in this. We are ALL still Vikes fans or we wouldn’t be so disgusted and disappointed with this team as a whole. I’ll attempt not to take your advice and shoot myself after our next humiliating performance.

118. By Jon Bernreuter on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

You guys are losing. Joe Webb is on the bench. Coincidence? Nope. 4.4 seconds in the 40, he can jump over people, he’s got a canon for an arm. Just run the triple option with him like Tebow or something. Goodness. He’s not even ahead of McNabb on the depth chart. Ridiculous.

119. By Jon Bernreuter on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

Wait a second, Ponder has 5 TDs and 6 INTs? What is going on? Give Webb a chance. Oh wait, he had one last year, and he beat the Eagles for you. You’re welcome. Go Blazers!!!

120. By Carl K on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

@Twoodsnvike – I like some of your draft proscpects. However, I am not sure if OG Kelechi Osemele is a good fit for the Vikings? He is already almost 350 lbs… I think the Vikings made a statement this year by letting go Mckinney and Degeare for being over weight. If we get Kalil in the first round, we can move C Johnson or D Love to OG anyway.

At the top of the 2nd round we can NOT p a s s up the chance to get a very talented corner like Chase Minifield, Xavier Rhodes (if he turns pro), Stephen Gilmore or the top safety Mark Barron.

I like WR Marvin McNutt as a 3rd round pick too!

121. By Carl K on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

I think Sully is a free agent at the end of this season? So what do we do at center? Do we resign Sully? Do we sign a free agent like Matt Birk? Is Joe Berger the answer? Is Fusco ready?

I can see the Vikings trading back in the 1st rd a couple times to get extra picks and targeting center Peter Konz late in the first round.

122. By no doze on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

Ponder deserves a little more patience. But coach Phaser should be replaced by Jeff Fisher. The draft could address any position and not be a bad pick. Please, this team is especially unfortunate, being at least in most games and selling advertisements up until the end. I

123. By Dez-Nuts on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

I guess either we suck or the raiders are goin hard this yea

124. By Doz Nuts on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

You win some n you lose some

125. By Parody on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

Carl – If this is Sullivan’s last year, I wouldn’t put it past the coaches to say that Fusco is ready. They did the same thing with Sully. He was drafted in the 6th round, sat on the bench for a year behind Birk and then was handed the starting position.

I just hope they don’t make it that easy for Fusco. Competing for a roster spot will make the players better. I hate it when free agents are brought in and guaranteed a spot on the starting roster. It allows them to relax and get lazy, and tells the 2nd and 3rd stringers behind them that their efforts to earn a position will go unnoticed.

126. By no doze on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

Maybe the Cards were weak, but the line mostly looked good that day, We had some surge that I HAVEN’T SEEN IN TWO YEARS. Now if we can get 1st half leads, against even good teams like Detroit, perhaps getting DBs should be the priority. We could have won many games by stopping the big pass plays, after teams figured out there was not enough time to run for a win. I somehow envisioned narrow splits, with Rudolph and Shianko stopping the edge speed guys, handing them off to the tackles on the way out to dump off patterns. Instead, Ponder is pounded before two ticks on the clock. We really coulld have used that 3rd pick they wasted on Moss, for a protector.

127. By no doze on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

Peterson take time off!!! You might eevelop a Favre Limp that coukd be career ending!!!!!!

128. By vikeforever on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

this season started out as a bust and will remain a bust until 2-14. I will enjoy seeing Ponder attempting to get better every week but he has no offensive line to protect or lend to the rush and the coash has no clue how to fix it or he can do it take a page from Andy Reid we need to do a better job…the defense after Allen,welll you cant have a one man show its too easy for the opposing offense to tear them apart. I only bright spot was special teams and now they are sdding to the loss contribution. I always be a Vikings fan but I cannot thing of anything positive to say we moved in a good direction jut to expect 2-14 and a good draft

129. By gubber on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

130. By Blasphemerr on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

While I doubt we’ll land either WR I believe Alshon Jeffery is much better than Blackmon. I think by the time draft day comes around if Jeffery is in it, he’s going ahead of blackmon.

131. By DrinkHeavyVikingsFans on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

If Ponder was playing in Denver, he’d be an instant star. The difference in Denver is that their defense and OL know they have a rookie playing at QB and turn up their intensity accordingly to try and win at all costs. Bottomline is that they do whatever they need to do to keep themselves in the game and give Tebow a chance. Our defense and OL act like they have something better to do on Sunday afternoons than try to win. No heart, period.

132. By Geiber on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

Deangleo Hall wants to be fired! Lets sign go after him if skins don’t!

133. By Geiber on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

I doubt the skins will let him go, but man he sure would be a needed help to the vikes!

134. By CanadianVF on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

@ Woodboat, I guess my point was proportion. I see a whole lot of stick and very little carrot on these blogs. I guess maybe I should be the one to go and blog on another website like maybe the Denver Broncos. Peace Out !

135. By Geiber on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

I can not wait to see how Toby plays this weekend that is if AP does not make it back, I love AP but I hope he sits this weekend out just to be safe, there is no reason for him to play except to pad his stats. But I really hope Toby can show the MN fan base what he can do.

Second,what is with our reciever and hardly ever getting open, you look at other games and it seems like the recievers always seem to break away, or get open from time to time but it seems as though our recivers can not ever get any separation, and the plays we do make (passing) is Ponder throwing into tight coverage, which with no time inthe pocket is going to be hard.

136. By Dueyz on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

To all the fans who say the rest of us are too harsh….Failure to recognize and address key issues is the best way to ensure future failure. You do not find a way to praise poor performance! That’s like finding the positive in your kid’s D, instead of getting a tutor that’ll get him an A. We are simply venting frustration because we ARE true fans, and trying to address changes we feel would help. Rubbing our franchise on the tooshy and focusing on the few things we didn’t fail at is not what we need right now. And tough love does not make us lesser fans.