Vikings Have Big Plans For “Salute To The Military Game” This Sunday

Posted by Mike Wobschall on November 18, 2011 – 5:46 pm

As part of the NFL’s Salute To Service initiative, the Vikings will incorporate several pregame, in-game and halftime military-themed elements into their game presentation for this Sunday’s contest against the Oakland Raiders at Mall of America Field.

Jared Allen has teamed with Paul Jr. Designs to help raise money for Jared Allen’s Homes For Wounded Warriors (JAH4WW). Paul Jr. is the star of the popular reality show American Choppers, and founded a custom motorcycle business upstate New York, Paul Jr. Designs. He has created an Army-themed motorcycle that will lead the Vikings out of the tunnel on Sunday.

Here is a list of other elements the Vikings will incorporate into this Sunday’s game presentation format to salute the men and women – and their families – who sacraficed so much to defend, earn and preserve our freedome.

– Minnesota National Guard 34th Infantry Division Red Bulls Band – pregame and halftime performances along with the National Anthem.
– Iowa National Guard (Red Bulls) Return Ceremony (recently returned from Afghanistan) – halftime.
– Stan “Crusher” Kowalski sounds the Gjallarhorn – decorated WWII veteran and Professional Wrestling pioneer.
– Hometown Hero – Sergeant Major Cindy Kallberg: the first female enlisted advisor of the Minnesota National Guard.
– Honorary Captain – Staff Sergeant Katheryn Morrill of the Minnesota Air National Guard’s 133rd Airlift Wing will accompany team captains to mid-field for the coin toss just before kickoff. Staff Sergeant Morrill, from Le Sueur, was selected as the “National Outstanding Airman of the Year” for the Air National Guard.
– Cheerleaders will be wearing military themed outfits in the 2nd half.
– The tunnel will be extended with cheerleaders and National Guard members standing side by side for player intros and nat’l anthem.
– Minnesota Military Appreciation Fund representatives will present two Purple Heart Recipients with grants on-field pregame.
– Season Ticket Owners who are veterans or current soldiers will hold the Norseman flag at midfield during player intros.
– Minnesota National Guard Display outside Gate H will include a Howitzer.

45 Responses to “Vikings Have Big Plans For “Salute To The Military Game” This Sunday”

1. By Frederick Jones on Nov 18, 2011 | Reply

@Titus,

I don’t know why you claim that there have only been 14 QBs in Vikings history.

There have been over 100 quarterbacks signed by the Vikings since 1961.

2. By Frederick Jones on Nov 18, 2011 | Reply

WHY HAVE THE VIKINGS DRAFTED SO FOOLISHLY THE LAST NINE YEARS???

(8 Offensive Linemen selected in the last 9 years, TWO in the last FIVE years)
    (and the numbers are not much better for defensive backs)

THE VIKINGS NEED A GENERAL MANAGER NOT 17,291 VICE PRESIDENTS!!!

You must know that if you have an opportunity to play a lot of defense, you will also make a lot of tackles. Hence Robison, JAllen, and Griffen have a shot at the Pro Bowl.

I would rather have our offense make more 1st downs, keep the defense off the field, and win games.

You must know that…as long as you ignore a problem, the more likely it is to get worse. So why do you think that the Vikings will just automatically start spending their money and draft picks on OLs and DBs???

THEY WON’T CHANGE UNLESS WE DO ! !

3. By Frederick Jones on Nov 18, 2011 | Reply

Some say fire the coaches. Some say get rid of certain players.
    Some argue against all of those things.

There is a solution.

Is it to hire a GENERAL MANAGER ! ! !

if not WHAT IS THE SOLUTION?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

4. By Frederick Jones on Nov 18, 2011 | Reply

Its not really a question is it?

5. By Frederick Jones on Nov 18, 2011 | Reply

I am not afraid to be the point man for hiring a GM.

But I could use just a little bit of help to get things going ! ! !

What is holding YOU back, my fine feathered friends?

6. By Frederick Jones on Nov 18, 2011 | Reply

Perhaps you have a better idea. Fine what is it?

Either that or you would be happy to finish 6-10, 4-12, 2-14, etc. every year?

7. By Frederick Jones on Nov 18, 2011 | Reply

VIKING FANS UNITE!!!

Five fingers seperated can be broken easily.
    Five fingers together makes a FIST and is strong.

8. By Parody on Nov 18, 2011 | Reply

who sacraficed so much to defend, earn and preserve our freedome.

We don’t want to preserve the freedome any more! We want a new freedome…it would be even better if it wasn’t a dome though…

9. By c ott on Nov 18, 2011 | Reply

We have a son in the Marines. Thank you for taking the time to honor all military, past and present. We love you all. Thank you!!

10. By PAUL M. on Nov 18, 2011 | Reply

Posted Jan. 3, 2011 in response to promoting Frazier to replace Childress.

I’M SORRY TO SAY THAT TODAY WAS THE WRONG MOVE.

I WOULD HAVE LOVED TO HAVE FISHER, COWHER, TONY DUNGY, BRIAN BILLICK –OR EVEN GRUDEN (NICE NORDIC NAME ASIDE) COACH OUR TEAM NEXT SEASON.

WE SHOULDN’T BE A TRAINING FACILITY FOR HEAD COACHES!

11. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 18, 2011 | Reply

Fred– I said there are not many more than 14 that actually played for any length of time– out of those 100 you say, how many played at least 8-12 full games?

12. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 18, 2011 | Reply

I wish Mike W would proof his articles– the spirit of excellence has to start somewhere– it certainly is lacking during much of the game on the field.

13. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 18, 2011 | Reply

OMG— Parody– I just read your post and thought you were being funny, then I realized the obvious– that was written in the article– the irony is that I never read the article that far when I said Mike needs to proof– the freedome is the icing in the cake though— yikes. Excellence on and off the field. COME ON WILFS– CREATE AN ENVIRONMENT WITHOUT COMPROMISE IN ANY AREA– A CHAMPIONSHIP SPIRIT OF EXCELLENCE.

14. By DRS on Nov 18, 2011 | Reply

15. By Parody on Nov 18, 2011 | Reply

I was being funny – teasing Mike for the typo. I don’t know why anyone would want to preserve that freedome. It’s like trying to preserve a Hooverville!

16. By Parody on Nov 18, 2011 | Reply

That typo stuck out to me so blatantly that I looked right past the sarcraficed until Titus convinced me to take a second look!

17. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 18, 2011 | Reply

Ha ha ha– Parody, I didn’t see that either.

18. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 18, 2011 | Reply

I say FREE THE DOME!!! Let it run off and build a new stadium.

19. By Sir Greasy Panda on Nov 19, 2011 | Reply

Doesn’t anyone know that no super bowl winning head coach has won another one with a different team! Cowher, Bilick, Gruden, and Dungy already have a ring. Im not saying that it is not possible but it also has never happened! So why hire them? Why not find our own? Frazier may or may not be the one but you have to give the guy a fair shot. There was not very much salary cap space to bring in a significant amount of players, that falls on other people. Give him time to bring in his own personnel.

20. By Sir Greasy Panda on Nov 19, 2011 | Reply

You know the Raider fans are by far thee worst fans in the league yet not one has come on here to run their mouth. It was the Carolina and Green Bay fans. Im just glad theyre gone.

21. By Sir Greasy Panda on Nov 19, 2011 | Reply

I have a question… The Vikings said that they will not sign a new lease with the dome unless the state approves funding for a new one but none of the LA stadiums have begun building and it would take years for one to be finished so arent the Vikings forced to play in the dome for the next 3 seasons at least??? With or with out an approval

22. By Parody on Nov 19, 2011 | Reply

Panda – No. LA has other stadiums that can suffice while they build their new stadium.

23. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 19, 2011 | Reply

Heck, with the weather in LA, the team could play on the beach.

24. By GM on Nov 19, 2011 | Reply

WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE STADIUM???

25. By GM on Nov 19, 2011 | Reply

The tag cloud really has no useable purpose to the visitors of this site. It is just an annoyance.

Therefore, the text color should be the same as the background color.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Next problem: the lack of a new stadium.

Arden Hills, open air, sell stock in the team to raise funds.

Fred’s gone everything else figured out.

26. By Frederick Jones on Nov 19, 2011 | Reply

@GM,

I have solved nothing. Your blog name is a start.

I am convinced at this point, that we need a new General Manager.
    If we had one, we would probably have better drafts, free agent acquisitions, and trades.

So I try to rally the bloggers in this effort. Few have complied.
    Perhaps over time, some will come to the same conclusions???!!!

27. By Rocksalt on Nov 19, 2011 | Reply

Rose Bowl holds over 100,00

28. By Rocksalt on Nov 19, 2011 | Reply

at least the Wild are doing better….that gives me something to cheer about

29. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 19, 2011 | Reply

The beach holds 500,000.

30. By VegasVike on Nov 19, 2011 | Reply

Ahh, womans beach volleyball. That makes for a sunny day 

31. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 19, 2011 | Reply

On ESPN, only one analyst picked the Vikes–

32. By Mt_Viking on Nov 19, 2011 | Reply

The Vikes need a new Head Coach, not this Frazier character. No team can out-play the Coach, but a Coach can make a so-so team better! Now, look at our team, we have (with the exception of D-backs and OL) real good talent! If my premise is true (not being able to out-play a coach) then by any reasoning method used….the coach IS the PROBLEM! I don’t believe Frazier will ever be a good head coach. He tries to be like Bud Grant on the side-lines…all stoic and stuff. He lacks the vision, discipline and football mind that Grant had. He may be the players choice to replace Chill, but the way I see it its the COACH that chooses the players and this team is..A$$ backwards!!! I can’t see us being successful
    no matter who we get to play for us until the Wilfs realize that Frazier has to Go!!!!

33. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 19, 2011 | Reply

Mt Viking– you seem conflicted. I will paste two parts from your recent post that seem contradictory. Please help me understand.

34. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 19, 2011 | Reply

Oh wait, never mind– I see what you are saying. My bad– doing too many things at once.

35. By Mt_Viking on Nov 19, 2011 | Reply

Sorry Titus, I was playing with circular reasoning and med marijuana :)

36. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 19, 2011 | Reply

No, Mt Vikings, you were spot on and there was no contradiction– it was in my perception based on poor reading– too much caffeine. Your second comment was about who should be in charge, basically and that players should not choose a coach– not related to your comment on their talent level– you made a good point. Often the leader everyone likes is too soft– and I am concerned about Frazier, but I say it is still too early to judge.

37. By Mt_Viking on Nov 19, 2011 | Reply

Titus, doesn’t it bother you how many teams interviewed Frazier for head coach and passed on him? Most broadcasters chalked it up to the “Rooney Rule” but, I believe they saw something that precluded them from offering him the job.

38. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 19, 2011 | Reply

Mt Viking it does make me pause for a moment, but history is filled with people that were rejected sometimes hundreds of times, only to then become the best in their field– he may have been interviewed, but he never had the chance to be a coach– we should see improvement for sure– absolutely by middle of next season.
    Give him a chance- last year does not count and this year is a learning experience– Frazier did have our D looking exceptional for several years– he may do the same for the whole team– cannot expect a microwave result.

39. By Parody on Nov 19, 2011 | Reply

Mt_Viking – Don’t forget that the Vikings have rejected multiple coaches already on their staff, who went on to lead a team to a Super Bowl victory. At least we hung on to a coach with potential this time. But the point is, just because he wasn’t selected by others doesn’t necessarily mean that he is incapable of performing well.

Give Frazier time. Too many people are passing judgement on him WAY too early.

40. By Mt_Viking on Nov 19, 2011 | Reply

I hope your right Titus! However, I watch his “pressers” and I see a “company man” not a leader. Also, his D-schema was never inventive and the 4-3 is considered by most to be obsolete. I don’t expect a “microwave result”; I have been a fan since ’64′. I just hate to see more years go by before we are on top again. We need a strong mind,personality and leader at the helm, not a “friend of the players and Co. man”, to be great again! I hope your right and I’m wrong but can read people ( body language, tone, eyes and whats not said) and what I see is a good man who is in over his head!

41. By Mt_Viking on Nov 19, 2011 | Reply

Parody, yes we did and i hated to see f them leave ( Dungy, Bilick).

42. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 19, 2011 | Reply

Tomlin took the Steelers to the Superbowl in a hurry.

43. By Mt_Viking on Nov 19, 2011 | Reply

Yes he did!!! Duh! I forgot about his 1 yr with us LOL! Here is some interesting info about him with us :
    Tomlin was selected by Vikings’ head coach Brad Childress to be his defensive coordinator in 2006. Two of the players on the Vikings were older than Tomlin, and Tomlin had been a teammate of Vikings’ safety Darren Sharper at William and Mary. The 2006 Vikings finished with the NFL’s eighth-best overall defense, but had the unusual distinction of finishing as the top-ranked defense against the run, and the worst-ranked defense against the pass.
    I guess the Tampa 2 has sucked against the pass for a long time. thanks Titus :)

44. By wuicho calzada on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

aunke yeven una racha de juegos sin ganar son mi gran equipo favorito ¡¡¡¡¡
    vamos vikingos !!!! animo¡¡¡¡¡
    desde la ciudad de mexico les mandamos un saludo cordial y fraterno a tod@s,la franquicia que no deja de tener super estrellas,ya es hora de tener un cierre de campaña digno de un gran equipo.
    saludos a mis grandes favoritos bye.

45. By скрутить пробег on Jan 15, 2012 | Reply

You are really a excellent webmaster. The website loading pace is incredible. It seems that you’re doing any distinctive trick. Furthermore, The contents are masterwork. you’ve performed a wonderful task on this subject!