Ponder Passing The Test Under Pressure

Posted by Mike Wobschall on November 16, 2011 – 4:12 pm

A big theme for the rest of the 2011 season will be the development of QB Christian Ponder. Through 3 games as the team’s starter, he’s displayed the mental acumen and physical ability to be the franchise’s QB of the future. But as you can say about any first-year starter through just 3 games, there is still plenty of progress to be made.

One area in which Ponder has already excelled, though, is passing under pressure. Ponder is currently completing 64.1% of his passes on 3rd down, which ranks as the 6th-best completion percentage among QBs with 20-plus 3rd-down attempts on the season. In addition, Ponder has been even better when guiding the Vikings inside the red zone. In the red area, Ponder has gone 6-of-6 with a pair of TDs, which is tops among all NFL among all passers.

Again, by no means can we say Ponder has arrived. But there are good signs to date, and Ponder’s performance under pressure is perhaps the brightest sign yet. Third downs and the red zone is money time for NFL QBs, and so far Ponder has passed the test in those situations.

Tags:

167 Responses to “Ponder Passing The Test Under Pressure”

1. By #1FAN on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Ponder is going to develop to be an ELITE QB. I am sooo excited! Of all the years I’ve watched Fball, we finally have a good QB i agree with…. I am excited to see this new ERA for the MN VIKINGS

2. By Really? on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Are you serious? Elite QB? Ponder? 52 QB rating on MNF. That’s elite? Zero touchdowns and an INT. That’s elite? LOL. I guess when you’re as terrible as the Queens, anything seems elite.

3. By Kyle on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

ponder will be one of the best quater backs in the league in a couple of years i mean look at the first start against the packers first nfl throw almost a touchdown like 70 yards and all they need to do is fill in the positions needed like DB OL WR and the vikings can turn into a good team and possibly go back to the NFC title game and try and get a world title

4. By VegasVike on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

I for one think CP7 is doing great, it’s a tough year to be the QB of the Vikings. Plus playing two of his first three games against the same team didn’t help. If our D could have held the Pack back at all it would have gave CP time to play his own game instead of playing in a frenzy. The only QB that would have had a shot Monday night is Favre.

5. By PAUL M. on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

WITH A WHOLE 2 WEEKS TO PREPARE & GAME PLAN, FRAZIER, HIS COACHING STAFF & THE TEAM GOT ABSOLUTELY CRUSHED! THE ONLY THING LEFT OF US WAS THE “PURPLE BUG-JUICE” ON THE SOLES OF THEIR SHOES!

6. By VegasVike on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

It would have been certain death to McNabb

7. By PAUL M. on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

ON THE BRIGHT SIDE, THROUGH THEIR PLAY, BOTH PONDER & RUDOLF ARE CONFIRMING MY GREAT ENTHUSIASM & EXPECTATIONS FOR THEIR VIKING FUTURES.

8. By VegasVike on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

You’re right Paul, we’re (they are) just not a good team this year. And I agree, the players are not doing their jobs because they are not being coached correctly. It’s time for an overhaul .

9. By VegasVike on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

PONDER = the next scrambling Fran!!

10. By PAUL M. on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

SIMPLY PUT, THIS IS AS INCOMPETENT AS CHILDRESS EVER WAS ! !

11. By VegasVike on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

That’s a big ‘OW!’ but once again I agree, out of the pot and into the fire!

12. By PAUL M. on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

FRAZIER HIMSELF, IN HIS PRESSER, ADMITS @ 8:00 min mark THAT IT WASN’T FOR LACK OF PLAYERS’ EFFORT BUT THEY WERE CONFUSED AT CRUCIAL POINTS IN THE GAME!!!

2 WEEKS OF PREP — & YOUR PLAYERS ARE STILL CONFUSED ? ! ? !

13. By PAUL M. on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

BUT YOU KNOW WHAT? EVEN IF THE PLAYERS KNEW THE GAME PLAN & THEIR ASSIGNMENTS, YOU JUST CAN’T TURN CAMEL DUNG INTO A DIAMOND CHAMPIONSHIP RING — MUCH LESS A SINGLE WIN !

14. By VegasVike on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

And why are they confused?? Lack of proper coaching, I still think it’s a conspiracy to sell/move the team.

15. By PAUL M. on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

I’M NOT A MIND READER, VEGAS. ALL I KNOW IS “GARBAGE IN, GARBAGE OUT”. IT’S TIME TO DO SOME HOUSE CLEANING. NO MORE GLORIFIED ASSISTANT COACH EXPERIMENTS, PLEASE !

16. By Sir Greasy Panda on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

There were not a lot of highlights from the monday night game but the kid does have composure and some WHEELS! I dont think there is a QB faster than him, maybe Vick or Cam, still he is fast. I think we should roll him out more often get him into open space to avoid the rush and allow the defense to break down because of his speed and accuracy.

17. By PAUL M. on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

ADRIAN, JARROD, CHAD, KEVIN, VISANTHE, E.J., ANTOINE, STEVE & PERCY ALL DESERVED TO HAVE LIFTED UP & CELEBRATED THE LOMBARDI TROPHY TOGETHER BY NOW — WE BLEW IT — & I FEEL FOR THEM.

18. By meswant on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

I was not very fond of the Vikings picking Ponder with their first pick (12), I felt that they should have gotten some of the o-line & secondary talent before a qb. I have to admit that Ponder has shown some talent but then again, what good is that talent if all he does is run for his life or eat dirt?!?!?! The o-line & secondary have been poor for a couple years now & last season they completely sucked. The coaching staff should have invested some time & money to protect the qb. Sure hope Ponder laces his cleats tightly……..

19. By PAUL M. on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

NOW THE KID NEEDS A LEGITIMATE SHOT TO ACHIEVE VIKING GLORY !

GIVE HIM THE COACHES AND A PROPER SHIELD TO GO TO WAR WITH.

20. By Mike B. on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

@Paul M there is no need to leave your letters in capitals you can express your opinion without them. Blogging in capital letters equate to shouting and tends to have others tune it out. Your points are valid but tone it down some. Thanks.

21. By Mike B. on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Ponder has the look of an NFL QB. He scans for open receivers and makes the right decision most of the time. He’s a rookie so mistakes will happen. He has the swagger of a NFL QB. Welcome to the Vikings Ponder it’s your team to drive now. Let’s win some football games.

22. By Mike B. on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

@Paul M These coaches are new working together, so there should be some growing pains. I like Frazier he has the respect of the players and the calmness of Dungy. I am not sold on the OC or DC, but that’s me. There has to be a weak link in the coaching to be playing as poorly as the team is. Players not making plays is getting to be an old excuse.

23. By VegasVike on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

I don’t know why the players don’t play, I’ve seen about 4 quarters of the games. I don’t think screaming and yelling is the answer but the coaches need to get some responses out of these guys. Somebody said the Vikings need to draft the best player available for a position of need. Not just best player available, makes sense to me. Who said that???

24. By Vikingpride08 on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Ponder is our future now so i think he will be ok once he gets familiar with the offense and gets another go to receiver….Vikes should have never got rid of Sidney Rice..

25. By Rocksalt on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

team is pathetic….period!

26. By PBizzle on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Vikings offense is bad because of Musgrave no doubt. The only thing im wandering is if the vikings D is bad because of Pagac isn’t coaching them up to their capabilities or because the players aren’t capable. Im thinking is the players. Im curious to see what kind of D-Back Pagac goes for in the draft if he is still around.

27. By SoCalVike on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Offensive line has to be the #1 priority in the off season/draft,any free agent or roster cut by the Patriots,Steelers,Packers we should sign…I prefer those teams sloppy seconds…

28. By vman on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

When they first drafted Ponder, I was alittle disapointed,(wanted Dalton), but the more I learned about him the more I liked him. Dude is smart. I like the way he stays calm, even after two picks in gm#1 with GB, it didn’t seem to bother him. He then gave us a chance to win that game. He has a ways to go, but from what I’ve seen in his rookie year, the future looks bright. I just hope his future remains in Minnesota.

29. By Meekay on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

I like what I’ve seen from Ponder. I think he’d be playing far better if he wasn’t scrambling on every play. Seriously, how many guys came through the line completely unblocked? Way too many!

30. By Titus on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Raiders are going down!!!

31. By KLAWZ on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Listen Frazier is garbage…I guess you could compare him to dungy, but…dungy was one in a million, AND he had a team to make him look good..so actually saying that Frazier does not equal Dungy!

Look at all of our penalities, mistakes, and confusion on the team….. the finger should usually should be pointed at the coach, our talent on the field is simply not there as well! YOU NEED FIRE AND DRIVE TO COMAND A NFL TEAM!!!

32. By CaribooBill on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

I replayed the game and slo-moed thru the offensive plays. GB blitzed at least 5 every down, often 6 and sometimes 7 or 8. They changed up the safety or CB blitzer off the edge and got to Ponder often. The pickups on the edge blitz were not very good, but the O line did not too bad. Ponder IMO handled it all like a pro – he will learn from it. You can count on other teams doing the same thing until the Vikes figure out how to anticipate it and what to do about it. Ponder, in his interview, is clearly aware of this – a very good sign. I think we have our QB, now we need to get the supporting cast figured out.

33. By KLAWZ on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Ponder is light years ahead of McCant…. I would rather lose with a new fresh QB that is still learning than a washed up never was…….sorry bit blunt but its the truth!

34. By BACK TO THE FUTURE on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

WHAT? Bring back McNabb. An experienced veteran like him would have played better on Monday night.

35. By KLAWZ on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Webb…???? Hes got wheels, but everyone has to see he does not have the means to be a QB! He either does not think enough or thinks too much out there, no scan…looks for the one target and if its not there he will panic and take off! Wheels yes! QB…not so much! Ponder has the smarts, wheels, and ability to see the field like a QB should…..give him time……..2 games against the undefeated superbowl champs guys, little rough first couple of weeks! 1st pack game we should have won…frazier gives it back to them with roughly 2 mins left….bad idea, suck it up and go for it….win in carolina, yes rough go in lambo…….but like i said 3rd game, and nobody looks good or really ever decent in lambo….other than farve and rogers!

36. By KLAWZ on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

McWont has not look good in two years, you think he is going to turn it up on a cold day in the back yard of an undefeatd suporbowl champion team………I wont to be in your dream man!

37. By KLAWZ on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

McWont has not looked good in two years, what makes you think he is going to turn it up on a cold day in the back yard of an undefeated superbowl champion team……..I want to live in your dream world……….ok maybe you should not listen to me i cant spell to save my a$$

38. By BACK TO THE FUTURE on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

McNabb has a lot of football left– I heard him say so.

39. By MJH on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Would someone on this blog please tell me why the vikings are so historically terrible on grass? They constantly slip, stumble and fall. I am talking 20 years worth of football. It’s like they are stuck in mud when they play on grass?

40. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

What a demoralizing game– anyone notice how often the Pack went for it on fourth down like it was no big deal? And then I read a Wobby article that said the Vikes can beat any team. WAKE UP!

41. By Carl K on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Did you see Kyle Rudolph’s one handed grab?
    If Ponder becomes great… I think Rudolph will be the guy to thank.
    Kyle needs more playing time!

42. By vikingrealitycheck on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Ponder brought me back to the team. Without him I would have a hard time paying attention. With better blocking, a big time receiver and better play calling he could be the one.

43. By CanadianVF on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Rudolph’s time will come next year when Shiancoe leaves for free agency and Kleinsasser retires although I hope he doesn’t. Then you people who think it was a mistake drafting him instead of going for a postion of need will think it was a great pick.

44. By DuaneN on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

We’ll see how he does when we get Blackmon.

45. By BACK TO THE FUTURE on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

The biggest mistake was letting Favre and Chilly go.

46. By CanadianVF on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

@ Really, you need to read a blog correctly before you jump to conclusions. #1FAN said Ponder will develop into an elite quarterback, not that he is an elite quarterback. Ponder is doing great, I just hope he lives long enough to enjoy the time when we can compete again in this league. I enjoy watching the progression, and the maturation as he learns the NFL game. He is very smart and doesn’t make the same mistake twice. I loved the way he stood in there and delivered the throw even though he knew he was going to get killed. We have got to get him a studd deep threat who will scare the defense. Right now defenses are not afraid of the Viking recievers burning them and can really close down AP.

47. By Carl K on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

I would take OT in round 1 and WR Dwight Jones in round 2 or WR Marvin McNutt in rd 3.

48. By CanadianVF on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

I think it was time for Childress to go. I will say this though in his defense, he did a lot of good when he came here. He took over and brought order and discipline to the Party Boat team and made a lot of tough decisions. The team improved each year and there was a sense that we were building towards better days ahead. I still am not sold on our coaching staff, and when Childress was let go we had a chance to make a clean break and head in a new direction. But instead of bringing in a new vision we just continued on the path we had been on, we hired someone from the same coaching tree as Childress.

49. By BACK TO THE FUTURE on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Carl you are not working for the Vikings– get out of lalaland.

50. By CanadianVF on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Have said it before, a number of times that we need t replace Sidney Rice and I think it is going to have to be in the first round to get a really good reciever who is going to make plays and be a difference maker. We need to get at least another good O lineman with a high pick a lot of good db’s. Might have to try and get a free agent wide reciever, but not so sure we can afford it?

51. By BACK TO THE FUTURE on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Sounds like Canadian Vike is also on the board with Carl. You are in charge of financial budget and payroll, VF?

52. By Nicholas on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Ponder is amazing. He shows plenty of promise even though his offensive line is leaking worse than the Titantic on every down.

I am keeping the pressure on Fred Jones……….

DRAFT OFFENSIVE LINE AND DEFENSIVE BACKS!!!!!

53. By KLAWZ on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Tice, Chilly, and now Frazier are all gargabe! They call them cordinators for a reason fellas……they cant coach…….Chilly got lucky cause Farve had one more good year left in the tank..dats it! Tice……..well enough said! Frazier…..no gut no glory…….no fire and no drive! We need a REAL HEAD COACH! Gruden, BC, etc.!!! We have a lot of work to do, but it seems we can work behind this kid named Ponder……… we need all new safteys and corners, O-line, and at least one good deep threat! As for sauce………he can catch but nothing other than that….MN just loves him, but to be honest…hes not good V. S. has his moments and we will see what Kyle can do! Can AP catch lets give it a try??

54. By gubber on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Don’t like to deal with reality ???

55. By KLAWZ on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

what do you mean gubber?

56. By gubber on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Censorship seems to be in play here. Either that or my computer has a significant glitch in it KLAWZ.

57. By Frederick Jones on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Some say fire the coaches. Some say get rid of these players.
    Some argue against some of those things.

There is a solution.

58. By BACK TO THE FUTURE on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Bring back Chilly– put in McNabb, bring back McKinnie, and sign Jerry Rice. Problems solved.

59. By KLAWZ on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Yeah mine does that all the time gubber…not sure whats up!?

60. By Frederick Jones on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

I would get rid of the VPs and hire a GM.

We already fired a coach last year. It didn’t accomplish much, if anything.

We need to get to the source…which I believe is the administration of the team.

What role do the Wilfs have in the draft? They are not football men, they should not have any input in the draft. lol x 7

61. By Frederick Jones on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

/////////Some say fire the coaches. Some say get rid of these players.
    Some argue against some of those things.

There is a solution.

62. By KLAWZ on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Fredy Jones……..weird cat, but yeah get rid of some of the hire ups, but got to say a coach that shows no emotion…no nothin, usually is not the ticket!

63. By Frederick Jones on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

FIRE THE VICE PRESIDENTS OF LICKING TRANSPARENT TAPE!

HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER TO CLEAN UP THE VIKINGS
    MISSED UP ADMINISTRATION.

DENNIS GREEN…..ROBERT MONTGOMERY KNIGHT….JERRY BURNS

64. By Mike B. on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

@Titus I saw that too, the pack had no issue with going for it on 4 down. They didn’t respect the defense at all. Why should they we have allowed short yardage all season. Very few times were we able to stop a team effectively. We give up 5 and 7 yrds frequently. Teams have started to run on us now too. The guys aren’t playing as a team and have lost focus. This is a coaching issue and suprised with Frazier and Singletary on the team. You can tell the dissappointment in Frazier during the pressers, but don’t see the fire to stop the problems. Just the same we got to get ready to play Oakland. I am not convince why we should expect a different outcome especially from the pressers. I am not saying Fire Frazier but he needs a better supporting cast. They made some poor choices during the draft, free agency and preseason. Frazier was compliemneting Asher Allen and who else iswith me that Allen is a terrible CB. This is the kind of disfunciton I don’t understand we can all see Asher is terrible but coach says he’s good. Things that make you go hmmm.

65. By Mike B. on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

@ Fred darn dude Dennis Green come on man He’s caused the 98 fiasco. Dennis Green darn.

66. By Lucas on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Honestly I think Fraizer is GOING to be a great coach. He isn’t now but I hope we hold onto him. I think he is the kind of HIGH CHARACTER guy the Vikings have always needed but never had. But Pagac and Musgrave are jokes. Musgrave is coming up with the offensive game plan by the way. And Pagac needs the boot for sure! But think of it this way, when Fraizer was DC our D-Fence was one of the top in the league until mid last season and this season. Our MAIN problem is a dumb front office. It kills me that they didn’t see this coming. Year after year they get undersized and slow DBs or guys that just shoot and choke people. Vikes front office needs to wake up and we need a bad ass DC to come in that knows what he is doing. We need to hang on to Fraizer.

67. By Frederick Jones on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

@NICHOLAS,

You know the strategy. The key words include….

HIRE A GENERAL MANAGER TO CLEAN UP THE VIKINGS
    ADMINISTRATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

68. By Frederick Jones on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

@NICHOLAS,

WHAT WE ARE TRYING TO DO ISN’T COMPLICATED. Jim Souhan of the Mpls. Tribune figured it out last year.

FIRE THE VPs! Hire a GENERAL MANAGER :)

69. By Titus on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Yes, twice on fourth down– and they were not small distances– one was fourth and five and the other was I think two yards– no hesitation– that took out all of our morale– and that is why they did it. They had no respect for our D and more so none at all for our Offense– by going on it on fourth down so nonchalantly — how often do teams go on it when there is no desperation– never. Green Bay is going to get their arse kicked in the playoffs– they are getting uppity and arrogant.

70. By Titus on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

A Tom Brady caliber QB with a mastermind coach like Belichick will show the Packers their place. Let GB go back to the big game– and let them get hammered!!!

71. By Frederick Jones on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

@Lucas,

It’s possible Frazier is a good coach NOW.

But if he was involved in the last draft, it might be wise to part with him a s well.

A coach must know what his team needs, AND FOR PETE’S SAKE TRY TO GET IT ! ! ! I am not certain what his role was in the draft. Spielman or Brzezinski may have all the power.

Have a GM clean up the mess!

72. By Titus on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

I will blow my horn for the Patriots– or any team that plays the Pack.

BAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

73. By Frederick Jones on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Titus in da Hawse! ! !

74. By Lucas on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Fraizer is obviously upset too. We don’t see him in the locker room or team meetings. I don’t think that yelling like an animal or tearing down your players in a press conference is the way to motivate anyone to play for you. I like the fact that Fraizer doesn’t lose it in his pressers. Things need to be fixed but he is building a relationship with players that makes them want to play for him.

75. By Frederick Jones on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

@Mike B.,

Dennis Green helped get us to 15-1, and his record was the same
    as Vince Lombardi when the Vikings Fired him!

76. By Mike B. on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

@Titus problem with New England is no defense so it come down to how many touchdows each team makes. That’s how GB has been winning the end of last and this season. Their defense can’t hold Rodgers outscores the ohter tream quickly. Even the Ravens got beat by a weak team. Iw ould say GB has a chance to go all the way. I don’t see a tough defense in the top teams.

77. By Lucas on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

@Frederick Jones,

I am not positive but I would assume that Fraizer was not as involved as he will be in next year’s draft (if he is here). First year coach coming in during a lockout with a guy as stupid as Speilman, isn’t the best scenario. I also think I remember Fraizer saying he was “Enjoying learning the ropes.”

You all have to agree that a lot of it comes back to Pagac and just a lack of talent because of our front office. We should have been hitting the DB market like CRAZY in free agency and we didn’t end up doing a whole lot. I am sick of seeing this VP s crew us every offseason.

78. By Mike B. on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

@ Fred We had the 98 championship game in hand but we had injuries. Green instead of trying ot kill the Falcons with Moss rested guys and let Atlanta back in the game. After that Dennis Green teams have not been good. Looks at Arizona. He can’t win the big games.

79. By Frederick Jones on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

@Mike B,

Denny Green is builds teams. He was partly responsible for the climb
    by Northwestern in the 1980s. He was a member of the 49ers great staff
    during their glory years. His Viking teams won more division titles than all
    former coaches of Minnesota, except Bud Grant.

He almost turned around the pathetic Cardinals which have never had more than a few good seasons in a row. (The Cardinals have lost more games than any NFL team.)

80. By Frederick Jones on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

@Mike B,

You are as tired as I am I bet. We are both messing up our words and sentences.

I’ll close with this comment, and read your posts tomorrow.

I like Dennis Green and think he was one of the very best coaches of all-time.
    Unfortunately he is black. (or fortunately, as I am sure he would say.)

81. By Mike B. on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

I have nothing against black coaches I just thinking Dennis Green is an average Head Coach.

82. By Titus on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Mike B– I don’t know if you saw the Jets-Patriots game the other day— the Patriots defense was outstanding and dominate. I know they were not the best as of late– but Belichick has that whole team on all cylinders.

83. By Titus on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Dennis Green was a good coach– great, not so sure. And nothing to do with him being black or not–

84. By Mike B. on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

@Titus It’s going to take a great Defense to beat GB. Steelers couldn’t do it, Or you just have to outscore GB which could add up to a 90pt game. GB has great receivers.

85. By Lucas on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Mike B,

The Patriots defense has been bad, but they played an amazing game against a good Jets team. The Packers Defense has been JUST as bad, but they played an amazing game against the mediocre Vikings. I think that the Patriots, Saints, 49ers, and Steelers all have a good shot at beating the Packers. If one thing would have gone differently the Saints could have beat them week one, the Vikes could have beat them the first time around, and the Chargers definitely could have beat them. They are the best team in football, but they are not unbeatable.

86. By Mike B. on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

@Lucas I agree but it would be in a game where it comes down to who makes the last TD.

87. By Titus on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

I agree Lucas– that Saints game started way too quickly– GB went ahead by 20 points right at the start like they did with the Chargers– erase those big early leads and those teams would have taken the Pack– Yes, I was shocked at the level of the Pat’s defense — was that Sunday evening?

88. By Shawn on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

fred jones … i left a post for you in the benny sapp blog

89. By BACK TO THE FUTURE on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Best Vikings Coaches (ranked best to worst)

1. Dennis Green
    2. Bud Grant
    3. Brad Childress
    4. Jerry Burns
    5. Mike Tice
    6. Leslie Frazier (subject to change)
    7. Norm Van Brocklin
    8.Les Steckel

90. By KLAWZ on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Denny green…not great, but good, ……..light years ahead of Tice, Chilly, and Frazier!!

91. By KLAWZ on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Childress number 3 ewwwwwwwwwwwww a bit high!!!

92. By mike L on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

well people dont understand that a new offense with short time to learn it then the time it takes to execute and i truly believe personnel on offense isnt quite fit for the offense have large o-line not very athletic with herrera in the lineup maybe a draft pick of a hard nose agressive lineman we could be looking at a good line then things should liven up look at the falcons lost a few key players on the o-line and they went from elite to just competive and wat offense do we run? exacly it starts with the line everything else will fall into place

93. By BACK TO THE FUTURE on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Claus— name one coach under Chilly that took us from the basement to the NFC championship in 4 seasons? In his third and fourth year, Chilly won the division– and took us to within feet of the Superbowl– did Steckel or Tice or any of the others come close to that speed and level of achievement. Chilly was genius. I said last year to keep him BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOO, Everyone wanted to change horses during the race.

94. By BACK TO THE FUTURE on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

If we give Frazier three years, he may take us all the way– just get an O Line.

95. By BACK TO THE FUTURE on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Best Quarterbacks of the Vikings– best to worst-

1. Fran Tarkenton (not debatable)
    2. Randall Cunningham (non-negotiable)
    3. Brett Favre (tastes weird, but it is what it is)
    4. Tommy Kramer (why not?)
    5. Warren Moon (hey, he has the numbers)
    6. Jeff George
    7. Rich Gannon
    8. Wade Wilson
    9. Brad Johnson
    10. Daunte Culpepper
    11. Sean Salisbury
    12. Tavaris Jackson

96. By BACK TO THE FUTURE on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Oh, forgot a few

Jim McMahon would come in the middle
    Gus Frerotte would have to be in the top 5.

97. By Animal26 on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

He failed last night in my opinion. I really thought that he wasn’t going to be overwhelmed by the big moment of playing on Monday night, but he crumbled. To me, he look clueless and lost our there. He’s has the potential to develop into a long term starter, but he has a long, long, long, long way to go. For some reason though, I have a gut feeling that he is going to end up like Tavaris Jackson. Haven’t a clue why, but have a gut feeling he ends up just like him.

98. By BACK TO THE FUTURE on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Animal– How many beers were you drinking when watching the game? I saw moments of brilliance, surrounded by moments of disbelief at his O Line breaking down so often and so quickly. Ponder was frustrated and will study hard to improve– he ain’t nothing like Tavaris. Wash your mouth out with soap!

99. By KLAWZ on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

In 09 you really think Chilly was the reason we made it that far………..hahah you must be the one drinkin bud……… never a farve fan, but he is a huge and i mean huge reason we got there……..!!! Farve to Rice was perfect ! Farve owned that team, chilly was a scared little man in the corner….man if you give him credit for that, i hope the whole 09 lineup comes and beats your ass!!!

100. By KLAWZ on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Our team did that! Not the coach! Our team shot themselves in the foot as well………turnover central!!!!

101. By KLAWZ on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Why do you think they butted heads so frequent……….Farve was in control and should have been ……………….we would have won to……… fluke last game! players were turning it over that usually didnt before! We would have destroyed Indy…….cause for all i am concerned we destroyed the saints!

102. By KLAWZ on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Do i think going to a new coordinator was the answer……..your right there……….h@ll no! Frazier is garbage as well! Clean house from the top of the food chain to the bottom…………lets keep a few players 4 or 5……..

103. By DesertVike on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Imagine what he could do with a mediocre offensive line, or a good one at that! Thing is the only great player we have in our O-Line is Hutch, and he’s not getting any younger. The rest of them wouldn’t even make the practice squad on any other team, especially Loadholt. Same goes for our DB’s. They wouldn’t even make my high school’s junior varsity football squad, and we don’t even hold try-outs.

104. By Nicholas on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

@ Fred Jones

I’m really not sure how everything works within the front office. Especially when it comes to who makes the decisions for drafting, etc.

I do recall a mentioning that Rick Spielman was pleased with how much easier Frazier was to deal with than Chilly. Perhaps that means this past draft was primarily Spielman’s draft. I really don’t know.

I’ll have to look up that article you mentioned by Jim Souhan : )

105. By Nicholas on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/133931888.html Here’s a good article written by Souhan from yesterday.

106. By Parody on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

You’re putting Culpepper that low on the list? I’d argue that he belongs right next to Warren Moon (I’d probably move Tommy Kramer down the list too). Culpepper played great up until the knee injury. He had a fumbling problem when he scrambled, but he still found ways to win games.

You can argue, well yea, but he had Randy Moss to throw to all that time, and that’s the only reason he was any good! But didn’t Cunningham have Moss and Carter to take the team to a 15-1 record? And that was a rookie Moss, so many defenses didn’t know what to expect from him.

Most good QBs also had good WRs throughout their career to help them look good. Take away the receivers and even the best QBs will have trouble looking average. Just take Favre from the 09 to the 2010 seasons. He lost his best target and went from the best statistical year of his career to the worst. Granted, there were other factors that contributed to that change, but the loss of such a good #1 target had a lot to do with it.

107. By Kyle Johnson on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

We first need to solve our stadium issues and make sure we have a home in Minnesota for years to come. Once we have our long term roots planned then we can move forward but not until then in my mind.

108. By Mike on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Listened to Fraziers press and I was shocked when he said both of our defensive ends has been the ones putting pressure on QB’s. No its only Allen every time Rodgers sensed him coming he moved to Robison side because Robison was a non factor he couldn’t get pass one person all night the successful runs were on his side and even when their backup came in he ran for a touchdown on Robison side. I watched coach Morris after the Bucs lost sunday because their defense kept missing tackles and giving up big plays he said he’s gonna make them practice in full pads all week, why can’t Frazier do the same and stop taking it light on these players.

109. By Rocksalt on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Reality is no team needs to even think about respecting our pa.ssing game, so they can just blitz us early and often. add to that our Oline cannot provide our QB with time…….
    Then when we try to run, they load up the box.
    Result: NO OFFENSE.

110. By Rocksalt on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

We are at least 3 years away from competing……

111. By Woodboat on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

One big difference between Tavaris Jackson and C Ponder is intelligence. Anyone that takes Ponders performance against the Packers in their yard… on MNF… with DEPLORABLE o line play…. with criminal refereeing… and draws the conclusion that he won’t develop into a high quality QB… well, quite frankly, you lack intelligence. It was his 3rd game in the league.

IF you’ve watched him play, you’d have noticed that game 1 he was staring down his receivers… something T Jackson STILL does. He was much improved game 2 and game 3 he actually used his eyes to steer GBs DBs away from his target. IN 3 GAMES he learned to do this. THREE GAMES. His arm strength is the only thing that’s going to hold this kid back.

112. By Woodboat on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Scratch that…. His arm strength is the only thing that is going to hamper him, not hold him back. I think he has a real shot to become a top end QB in this league.

113. By Woodboat on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

@ the Frazier supporters…

I don’t think anyone is questioning Fraziers qualities as a man. As a man, I have nothing but respect for him… he deserves it to the utmost. I don’t have any doubt that he is a strong leader of men…. the question is, where is he leading the team?

He hasn’t shown the ability to effectively concoct a defensive scheme that can compete in the passing game when he was the DC. The mistakes he makes on game day aren’t something that he can “mature out of”… it’s his personality. There is NO WAY he should have punted on that final drive in the first GB game. He SHOULD have told his OC that they were in 4 down territory from the outset of that drive. Instead of needing 10 yards on 3rd down, Ponder could have easily gotten 7 or 8 and had a fourth and short. That’s not in his personality, however…. Les is too conservative, doesn’t have enough imagination.

114. By Woodboat on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Watching Dan Patrick Show…

They are talking about the Eagles, and they are talking about Andy Reids future… what do you guys think of having Reid patrolling the Vikes sideline?

115. By Viking Joe on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Bud Grant was the best head coach the Vikings ever had, bar none !!!! Burns was better than Green. Favre wasn’t a Viking long enough to be considered a great Viking QB.

116. By Vikingsfool on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Hey Paul, why dont you coach the team, youve got all the answers it sees. I do agree though, you cant win a championship with a lack of talent in player personel. The vikes need to do like GB and build the team up from the bottom, there are some good building blocks (including head coach) to build a dominant team, but too many bafoons think that a great coach would be able to win the division with the sub-par players on the Vikings roster. Those guys are kinda stoopid. you know who you are…..

117. By Vikingsfool on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Cmon Joe, you think Andy Ried could win with the roster the Vikes have right now??? It will take at least two more offseasons to put together a competitive roster, people need to remember, you cant build a championship team from nothing in just one season. Give the Vikes a break, cmon sheeple

118. By Vikingsfool on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

All I’m saying is that Lezlie is doing what he can with what he has. Give him at least three seasons to build a team. I mean the guy is not Les Steckle, the players respect Frazier, and that’s the first aspect of a quality coach.

119. By doug on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Everyone should make posters to show how we feel aboutthe vikings and show them at the stadium on Sunday. we should also make sure to thank Zellers with some chants on Sunday. nothing obscene. it is about the fans rally and start pushing for closeure on the stadium issue. for or against. it seems and sounds like Zellers is playing politics. he is very quiet.

120. By BACK TO THE FUTURE on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

vikingsfool– get a life dude!

121. By Geiber on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

I think that the Vikings should offer Favre a contract to come back and help train in Ponder, or even hire Favre as the QB coach, now that would be amazing!

Josh Morgan’s contract ends this year, on the 49er’s, he broke his leg and is done for the season but I thought when he was healthy he was a very solid reciever. I’d like to see how much he is going o get.Maybe the Vikes should be interested? Does anyone know about what kind of person he is.?

122. By Titus on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Geiber– RIGHT ON! Can you imagine a brain like Ponder being schooled by Favre? Now that would be something— Seriously.

123. By TheRealDon on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

So what do you guys think about the Benny Sapp Signing

124. By Geiber on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

I think it is a great thing! I think Sapp will be a much needed assistance in the secondary! Now we might as well go get Moss, maybe Edwards! Ha Ha

125. By Geiber on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Heck sign Benny for 3 years!

126. By Titus on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Moss won’t come here now– 2-7– no way. I wonder if he can still play next season, though.

127. By vikeforever on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

as for the blog regarding Andy Reid as coach. Do we need to add another coach or player from Philly? I think they are done with that experiement. As for as Reid concern even though he might have a good record will go down as coaches who were meant to be only coordinators not head coaches and their is a large fratenity of them.

128. By TheRealDon on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Yea at this point anything is better than what we have..

129. By Titus on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

I still believe Frazier should get at least through next season– give him a chance.

130. By Daniel on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Seems that we finally have a QB

131. By BACK TO THE FUTURE on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

A QB alone cannot win– you need a coach like Chilly and an O Line with players like Matt Birk and Todd Stuessie.

132. By BACK TO THE FUTURE on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Great coaches like Chilly come along rarely.

133. By BACK TO THE FUTURE on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Who was the better coach?

Grant
    Chilly
    Green

134. By Geiber on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

@BACK TO THE FUTURE, Matt Birk was such an amazing player, he was missed on our line as soon as he left! Did he retire of is he still playing for the ravens?

135. By vikingsfool on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

time for vikings to win a championship— and it starts with the fans. Until the fans support their team no matter what, the Vikes will never win. Stoopid.

136. By Woodboat on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

You have an apt name, vikingsfool… that is the same attitude that has nearly ruined our country financially. Blindly following anyone or anything is foolish at best.

Support the Vikes no matter what… I don’t even know where to start. I guess at the point that nearly every person on here DOES support this team. If we weren’t fans, we wouldn’t bother posting on here. Using your logic of unblinking support of all decisions made by the organization, there is no reason to EVER question ANY decision made by the team. Every member of the squad is just a tweak away from being a probowler… the coaching staff is just weeks away from becoming HoF caliber.

No, it’s our right and duty to question the poor decisions made by this squad. What incentive is there for the team to improve if their fans support atrocious play?

137. By Woodboat on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Jerry Burns and Brad Childress were among some of the worst coaches in the league during their respective stays with the VIkings. Green was decent, Grant was pretty good. Tice wasn’t a great head coach, but he was at least entertaining. I like a coach that offers to knock the cr ap out of his players if they don’t shape up :)

138. By Woodboat on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

@ Geiber…. I BELIEVE that Mat Birk is on IR for the Ravens, but don’t quote me on it… think he had a knee?

139. By Woodboat on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

@ Titus…. oh, Frazier is gonna get his chance regardless of what we think. He’ll muddle his way through this and next season, just like Childress, before the Wilfs make a decision to let him “explore other avenues of emplyoment”. Again, I like the GUY, I just don’t think he’s a top caliber coach. I think you have to have a no-nonsense toughness about you to be effective in an NFL lockerroom… he has too much Wade Phillips.

140. By Woodboat on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

In general, everyone that questions this team is correct in part. At the risk of sounding like Freds new mantra… some blame the coach, some blame the players. It can easily be argued to be both. We lack talent at the O Line, at D Line, at DB… and on the sideline. Until ALL of those areas are addressed, the best this squad can hope for is mediocrity.

141. By sandiamond on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Matt Birk / Mckinnie starting and playing well currently for the baltimore ravens on OL

142. By karpi013 on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

I think Ponder was a great pick in the draft, we needed a fresh QB and usually when a new head coach begins they choose a QB to be their “trademark” of the future. Ponder was a decent choice and has only played 3 games this season, twice against the undefeated defending super bowl champions. Anyone in their right mind would know it wasn’t likely of us to win especially with so many other problems we have on this team. I believe we need to address our issues through free agency and the draft. 2011 is over and every decision we made should be toward the future of the team. I give Frazier another season before we can say he’s worthless.

143. By DRS on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

It is time to start playing the rookies to see who stays and who goes next year. Seven games to go, then what? Time to rebuild the Offensive team around Ponder, Peterson; we need to see who is will stay with the D-Fence next year, and what holes we need to fill. Time to see who is good and they that are not.

144. By Rocksalt on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

good points Woodboat

145. By Regfan on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

I say Vikings Fans should put bags on their heads untill Frasier fixes what’s wrong with this team,they are not this way by accident

146. By dgman on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

I think that fraiser needs to be more agressive on the play calling and that minnesota needs a pass defense and a O-line. People should not hate on McNabb. He is a good quarterback when he is protected!

147. By Jim on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Ponder is not the man!!! Just like T-Jack!!! GO GET Favre back ASAP!!! WE NEED A REAL QB.

148. By crbball04 on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Ponder will become an elite quarterback eventually, but the only way that will be possible is if he gets protected. during the packer game he was drilled on his first 5 dropbacks because linemen werent picking up the blitz, and was completely de-cleated because peterson missed his block on mathews. Without a line and no deep threat wide outs, no qb will succedd. Vikings needs to do something will their o-line or else ponder will be injured by the end of the year. When our line finally gets their head out of their ass ponder will succedd

149. By tdurfeightyeight on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

For some reason a great young quaterback has always eluded the Vikings organization.I know what you are all thinking. Fran was great! Actually he was just good.Check his q.b. ratings in the superbowls he played in…frickin’ horrible. It was the defense and special teams that made those teams great in the late 60’s and early 70’s .Ponder reminds me of Tarkington. Good but probably won’t be great…I know Fran is in the H.O.F.,it does not excuse him from the way he played in three Super Bowls.Winning the “big game” is what makes a q.b. elite.

150. By Parody on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

@tdurfeightyeight – That’s a very weak argument. If you say the only elite QBs are the ones who have won a Super Bowl, you’re excluding big names like Drew Bledsoe, Jim Kelly, Kerry Collins, Rich Gannon, and even Dan Marino! All of these QBs have been to at least one Super Bowl, but none of them have won a single time. Jim Kelly lost 4-consecutive Super Bowls, but he also made it to 4-consecutive Super Bowls! Marino only appeared in one Super Bowl, but he is still one of the best known names in the history of the NFL.

At the same time, you’re implying that guys like Ken Stabler, Mark Rypien, Bob Griese, Brad Johnson, Doug Williams and Jeff Hostetler are all automatically elite QBs, simply because they won a Super Bowl. Well the only name that I even recognize from this group is Brad Johnson, and that is only because he started and ended his career with the Vikings. In Johnson’s Super Bowl win, his defense scored 3-times off of 5-interceptions, making a pretty strong argument that they won primarily from the play of their defense, and consequently a good argument against Johnson being “elite”.

151. By CanadianVF on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

I hate to keep repeating myself, but I feel compelled to put the view forward once again that an organization starts at the top. You need a good management team in place if you are going to be a competive and consistent winner year in and year out. I just do not think the Vikings have done that with their organization. I think they go on the cheap when they hire coaches, co-ordinators, general managers. Instead of going after the best in the business at what they do, they settle for assistants, no names who they promote to higher positions when they get here. Maybe I am too harsh here, and I have to admit that I do not know the entire resume of our offensive coordinator, but was he not the quarterback coach with Atlanta before he came here? This is just one example. Why did we not try and keep Tomlin from leaving our organization, he is one of those guys who is one of the best in the business? When Childress came here had he been a head coach before? Frazier had he had any head coaching experience, a track record that would lead you to believe that he would be great at leading the Vikings. I don’t think so. Did the Vikings ever go after a John Gruden a proven winner for example when Childress was let go and try to lure him from the television booth to get back in to the game. Bill Kohwer ( I think I spelled his name wrong) from Pittsburgh was he ever approached, someone, anyone with a track record. In the NFL, winning is everything. You do not have time as an organization to spend three years finding out if the guy you promoted to be your head can cut it and then you realize he cannot.

152. By Frederick Jones on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

@BackToTheFuture,

Tarvaris Jackson is the 12th best QB in Vikings HISTORY?

I think he has a chance to be that good someday, but currently I wouldn’t put him in the top 40 QBs in the Vikings 52 years! ! !

153. By puckertrucker on Nov 18, 2011 | Reply

Hey Viking Fans:

I don’t know about you? but I’m really ticked off because we keep going after Phillies garbage PLAYERS AND COACHES. Look who we have gotten from the eagles,FRAZIER,MCNABB,CHILLY,AND NOW YOU WANT JACKSON YOU GUYS ARE CRAZY. No wonder we are losing every year why not go after Oregons Coach he’s got an offense that was #2 last year and right now #4 on the BCS CHARTS THIS MAN KNOWS FOOTBALL AND AT LEAST HE HAS BLOOD FLOWING IN HIS VIENS, NOT ICE WATER LIKE FRAZIER. HE DIDN’T TRY TO SPARK LIFE IN THE TEAMS VIENS AND CURTAINLY DIDN’T COMPLAIN ABOUT THE NON CALLS OF THE REFS. SUNDAY AGAINST GREENBAY I SAW PLENTY OF FOULS THAT WEREN’T CALLED EXCEPT AGAINST THE VIKES. SO I SAY THE TEAM SHOULD USE THE ROOKIES AND GO AFTER GOOD PLAYERS IN THE DRAFT INSTEAD OF TRYING TO SIGN REJECTS FROM OTHER TEAMS LIKE PHILLY,

THE ONE AND ONLY PUCKERTRUCKER.

154. By rye on Nov 18, 2011 | Reply

Ponder looks pretty good for a rookie. I believe he is the QB of the future. The vikes need to address the OL, defensisve secondary, and get a serious deep threat WR in the offseason.

If they do that, they will be back on top next year.

155. By Vikingsfool on Nov 18, 2011 | Reply

Hey jim go suck an egg. you wouldnt know a great QB if if bit you in the butt. I watch great football players so I know one when I see one, you stoopids wouldnt know a great player if he bent over in front of you, your all too butt blind. stoopid Vikings fan,

156. By DaVikings on Nov 18, 2011 | Reply

Hope Ponder turns out the thing! Haven’t had a steady QB since Kramer and sure could use one. And definitly the rest needs work WR’s,secondary and OL, get rid of Loadholt now there’s a joke! Don’t know if he’s to slow or what but he just doesn’t block no one. The Wilfs say they want a championship but sure don’t show it!!

157. By Vikingsfool on Nov 18, 2011 | Reply

hey back to the future, you want me to get a life??? I’m not the guy with a blog handle named after an 80’s sci-fi movie you dork. instead of back to the future, you should call yourself back to school, you stoopid bafoon. And I see DRS wishes he was me again

158. By DRS on Nov 18, 2011 | Reply

Vikingsfool, what ever.

159. By DRS on Nov 18, 2011 | Reply

It is a fact that we need a D-Fence, Ponder is our QB for now and the Future. Ponder reminds me of Fran T. We could use better O-Linemen. I do think it is time to play the rookies. There is no real chance to go to the playoffs, so why not see what you have.

160. By DRS on Nov 18, 2011 | Reply

161. By Troutdaddy on Nov 18, 2011 | Reply

So, Looking at the posts from Titus, Woodboat & Back to the Future- very interesting takes and insights. A couple of things to “Ponder” here. Tark was and will always be one of the Greatest QB’s ever- ring or not, he was the ultimate of what a QB should be. I think Brad Johnson would be above Jeff George on your list.Up until he had his neck injury, he did amazing stuff. Bud Grant below Dennis Green??? Really? I don’t think so – again he was a dominant force and strategy-minded coach who brought out the best in everyone. Greene was good, but let his emotions get in the way any times. and the fact that Grant was there for as long as he was in comparison shows his worth to the organization. Lastly, as far as our future goes- if Frazier wants to keep his job, then he needs to not only be a players coach, but also a people’s coach-meaning he needs to show some gusto, some emotion and something elses besides a blank expression. Childress was suppossed to be this big offensive strategist and became so predictible. Frazier is moving in that same direction and I think he is a far better coach than Chilly and would like to see it come out in his demeanor. Anyone else feel the same way? As far as our defense I am just speechless here. We have no solutions and it doesn’t look like we are getting any in the near future. As much as I would like to see this team finish strong, I am to the point where sometimes I think I would rather be in a god spoot for the next draft….So here is my advice to the Vike’s and the fans: Put on your “Stop Stop believing” Journey CD and Drink a Dr. Pepper on Sunday and hope for some purple healing….

162. By Regfan on Nov 18, 2011 | Reply

Break out the paper bags it’s gonna be a bad year…poor AP

163. By DrinkHeavyVikingsFan on Nov 18, 2011 | Reply

Bryant McKinnie an All-Star huh? He is currently tied for 4th in the NFL for most sacks allowed with 5 ( Levi Brown leads with 8.5)..just keeping it real for anyone in love with the glory days of recent past, if that is what you’d call them.It’s been 40 plus years for me watching Viking teams look so good getting to the playoffs only to find new ways to toture their fans that would put the SAW movies to shame. But that’s what what makes Vikings fans the best – all the pain and suffereing we will endure week in and out just to be in a position to say that we were there when they finally do manage to win a SuperBowl. Short of that, we are all gluttons for punishment, otherwise we wouldn’t spend 10 seconds blogging about it on this site. So hang on tight Vikings fans and hope for the best…hey at least we have decent Cheerleaders now to look at, right? Go Vikes

164. By tonyvikings on Nov 18, 2011 | Reply

i think we need a o-line and dbacks if we can that around CP7 then look out NFC NORTH…hope we draft a top dback or a wr even a o-line men…we need help…lets go vikings

165. By dgman on Nov 18, 2011 | Reply

they are saying ponder is passing the test under pressure? I dont think so. He sucks just like the rest of them….minnesota is doomed.

166. By nikefan4life on Nov 18, 2011 | Reply

dgman

ponder is an upcoming elite qb. one of his biggest problems is his reads are way to late. hang in there viking fans. 3 or 4 more years we will be a dominate team!

167. By DaVikings on Nov 19, 2011 | Reply

It’s Always 3or 4 more yrs!!