Very Quickly, Vikings And Packers Meet Again

Posted by Mike Wobschall on November 10, 2011 – 12:48 pm

When the Vikings and Packers kickoff on Monday night at Lambeau Field, they’ll each be kicking off the second half of their season. Both teams have already enjoyed their bye weeks and both teams will be playing their 9th game.

But despite being so far along in the season, both the Vikings and Packers will face a similar challenge in preparing for this week’s contest – a limited amount of tape since the last meeting. Both the Vikings and Packers have played only one other opponent since their Week 7 meeting. Adding to the unfamiliarity is the fact that Monday night’s game will mark just the third career start for Vikings staring QB Christian Ponder.

Ponder’s first career start came against these Packers back in Week 7, and the rookie responded with a solid outing. He was 13 of 32 for 219 yards with 2 TDs and 2 INTs, guiding the Vikings to within 6 points of the undefeated defending Super Bowl champions. Not bad for a rookie in his debut.

But you can be sure that Packers Defensive Coordinator Dom Capers and his crew will have a few new tactics to employ in their second go-around against the young passer.

“I’m sure there will be some wrinkles that he (Ponder) didn’t see the first time,” Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier said on Thursday. “They’ll (Green Bay) look at some tape. And they didn’t have a lot of tape on him going into that ball game (in Week 7). They’ll have some new wrinkles, but we’ll also have some new wrinkles from an offensive standpoint.”

The Packers have a defense loaded with playmakers, starting with LB Clay Matthews in the front seven and continuing with ball-hawks in the secondary such as Tramon Williams and Charles Woodson. Green Bay is tied for 2nd in the NFL and 1st in the NFC with 19 takeaways this season, a total that includes the 2 INTs Woodson grabbed from Ponder just 3 weeks ago.

With that said, Frazier sounded confident in his QB on Thursday.

“But I get the impression from being around him (Ponder), and the way he played in that first game versus them, that he’ll be able to handle those looks, if there are some new looks that they may bring,” Frazier said.

Over the next several weeks with the stadium issue on the front burner in Minnesota, we’ll have a piece of stadium information posted after each vikings.com Blog entry.

Stadium Did You Know?
Not only will a Vikings stadium keep one of Minnesota’s biggest assets in the State, but building a new facility will also support thousands of jobs and generate significant economic activity at a time when the State desperately needs it. According to Mortenson Construction, 1,600 construction workers will work over 900,000 hours in just the first year of construction.

Tags: ,

46 Responses to “Very Quickly, Vikings And Packers Meet Again”

1. By Vikingsss on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Chris Cook is the best Corner on the team1

2. By Sir Greasy Panda on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Lets run the no huddle against their sorry defense and use AP in the short passing game more! run underneath routes, dump offs please! Use Shiancoe and Rudolph, I think our TEs match up really well against their LBs.

3. By Sir Greasy Panda on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

About the stadium issue, I dont live in MN but I do live near LA where there are rumors about them moving to and neither stadium proposal has begun building, it would take at least 3 years to have the stadium ready for play. There is talk of using the coliseum where USC plays but it is way too small and I dont think the NFL would approve it. And I also heard the Commish say that neither of the proposed sites in the LA area are what the NFL is looking for. With that being said the Vikings have to remain in MN for at least the next 3-5 seasons. Which gives me hope that the people in MN will approve a new stadium there.

Also on the local sports radio talk show they were talking about the team that moves to LA to play in the privately funded stadium that the current owners would have to give up partial ownership of the team, a lot of minority shares. I dont know if the WIlfs are willing to do that.

4. By Sir Greasy Panda on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

I pray that we lay it down on those little girls in Green Bay!!! I hate them so much, I cant stand Aaron Rodgers face, he reminds me of simple jack from tropic thunder if you havent seen it look it up.
    Their defense is sorry, they cant stop a nose bleed. If we could limit their possessions we can easily beat them.

5. By Troutdaddy on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Ponder is going to light it on fire Monday night! Jared Allen is going to sack the shnikies out of Rogers too… Thanksgiving is gonna come early my friend as Monday I will be giving thanks for the win!!!

6. By Toad_the_wet_sprocket on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Spoken like a true Viqueen fan. Oversell underdeliver. It’s guys like you that make MN fans look foolish.

If you’re comeback is going to be a repeat of what has been stated above don’t waste your time. That will further prove your foolishness.

BTW, are you jealous that Simple Jack gets way more a$$ then you’ll ever dream of. The only thing that’s Simple about A-Rod is passing on the Queen’s secondary. The only thing Jack is what Sir Greaseball panda pumper does to his lil smokie while watching Rodgers carve through defenses week after week.

7. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

And what, exactly, do you do ,Toad, that makes Green Bay fans look even remotely intelligent?

8. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Is it your eloquent speech, your original thoughts (more a$$), or your endearing personality?

9. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

It is none of these…..just go back to your swamp, before all the best dung beetles are gone.

10. By Cali Packers Fan on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

@ Toad the wet sprocket,

“When will we fall down”?……….. Never!! GO PACK GO!!

11. By Cali Packers Fan on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Must be all the Greasy Panda clogging your brain Sir. Those litte girls you speak of beat you once in your house. So don’t ge all horned up. Finally. If the vikes are the Nose bleed, then we already stopped you. Tissue?? :-o

12. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

No, just give us one of Sharon’s tampons.

13. By Sir Greasy Panda on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

hahaha you Packer fans need to stop coming on our site it just makes you look sorry. This is how rivalries work.The Packers can win every single game for the next ten years and I will never acknowledge that they are good. It does not matter to me. Every time we suit up I against you I think we are going to win. You are not going to change my mind. So coming on here and trying to talk is not going to phase me. Its so funny that with your perfect record and all the news coverage they get you have to come to our site and see what us Vikings fans are up to.
    Or do you not remember our rookie QB in his first start with mediocre receivers and without our starting corners almost hand you guys your first L??? Supposedly we had no business being in that game, and if it werent for a blown coverage by our bench CB and sucky safety then we take that win. So go ahead and call me a ViQueen or whatever It doesnt matter the Packers suck.

14. By Sir Greasy Panda on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

This is probably the worst the Vikings have been since I can remember and your Packers can barely beat us. Imagine if we were good?

15. By Sir Greasy Panda on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Packer fans love the Vikings! Why else would they come here???

16. By puckertrucker on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

HEY CHEESE HEADS:

This Monday Night Game! just might be the one that gets Mr. Rodgers knocked on his cheese head BUTT. I do believe that the VIKES and Mr.PONDER GET TO RUB IT IN YOUR PROVERBIAL FACE IN THE UNFROZEN TUNDRA THIS COMING MONDAY NIGHT. AND by the way you stole the name FROZEN TUNDRA FROM THE VIKINGS OLD METROPOLITAN STADIUM IN BLOOMINGTON MN. YOU KNOW THE PLACE WHERE BUD GRANT WOULD NOT ALLOW HIS VIKES TO WEAR GLOVES, OR SIT ON HEATED BENCHES UNLIKE THE SOFT BELLIED PACKERS AND OTHER NFL TEAMS OF THE 60′S. So Packers beware the 14th of November it just might be your undoing. Skol VIKE FANS FROM ALL OVER!!!!!!!

17. By Cali Packers Fan on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

@Sir Greasy Hand

I don’t care what you talk about on here. I’m here cause we play the tikes on monday and I just wanna ruffle some feathers. I especially like the ones that get really mad and try to chew me out on a blog. Like you typing mean things are gonna hurt my feelings. Ahhhh. >:o (angry face)

18. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

If you want to “ruffle some feathers”, go back to California and scr3w some chickens.

19. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Spray-paint them green and yellow first.

20. By Toad_the_wet_sprocket on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

nova deusha takes the most offense to our comments Cali bro. If he only knew what kind of trash lives in Minnesota he’d probably switch to the CFL. Although even the Viqueens could be a .500 team in the CFL. Skol that Canuk goat farmer.

21. By Cali Packers Fan on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

I think the Canadians feathers got ruffled. Know what I’m talin’ aboot? Cluck!!

22. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Toad, you and “Cali bro” seem to be of the same mind. I’m sure you two could take it to the “next level”, were you to meet.

23. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Talk about 2 “cheeseheads”.

24. By Cali Packers Fan on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Maybe the Canadians can take the Vikings, ey? No one cares aboot them over here. Besides, look at the junk they imported over here. Think Celine Dion. :-o

25. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

She loves her $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ deal with Vegas. You should think “Lady Gaga”

26. By Cali Packers Fan on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Or NovaScotiVike. All junk.

27. By Cali Packers Fan on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

She could make a billion dollars in Vegas and she is still Imported Canadian junk.

28. By Cali Packers Fan on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Just like your whiskey.

29. By Cali Packers Fan on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Is there anything good that came from NovaScotia? And don’t say yourself Nova, we know it’s a lie.

30. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Cali, keep up the correspondence with your friend, Toad. You seem to be of similar minds…. that sort of thing usually occurs between primates ( chimps, orangutans), but you have seemed to have (almost) mastered typing.

31. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

YOU BORE ALL OF US……IS THAT YOUR GOAL???????????

32. By Frederick Jones on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Nova you are a far superior blogger to these blokes!!! :)

33. By Frederick Jones on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Why didn’t we put an emphasis on drafting, buying, or trading for
    Offensive Linemen and Defensive Backs when
    EVERYONE and his SISTER
    knew those were CLEARLY our weakest areas?

:) :) :) :) :)

34. By Stephen on Nov 11, 2011 | Reply

I love this site. Vikes forever. If I lived my whole life in Wisc I would surely be as intense of a Packer fan. I have seen several games over the years and no matter who is better that year the Vike Packer games are always awesome. GB is obviuosly better than us this year but they should have their eyes wide open this monday night. We Vikes played them better than anyone else this year and we do not have near the talent in our secondary as some of the other teams have. I would like to see Jared add to his toal say 3-4 this time around. It is going to be a great game. GO PURPLE PRIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

35. By Troutdaddy on Nov 11, 2011 | Reply

As I sit here thinking about the celebratory dinner I will be eating on Monday night after the Vikes win, my thoughts turn to the thousands of Packer fans wandering aimlessly throughout the streets with blank stares on their faces looking to the heavens wondering and mutterng to themselves…. why…. how… Oh man, I am almost giddy.

36. By packermom47 on Nov 11, 2011 | Reply

Hi everybody! I wish you good luck Monday. I want the Packers to win, but I also hope everyone stays safe. I wanted to be mean like some of you, but I figured that would make me as nasty as some of you are. I’m better than that. Good luck to the Vikings–they are going to need it.

37. By PackerFanLivingInMN on Nov 11, 2011 | Reply

Wow, a lot of morons on this site talking nonsense, both Viking and Packer fans. It would be great to see some intelligent conversations but that is probably too much to ask from the average blog poster.

Not sure why Vike fans get so angry when other fans post here. I know most might just drink the Purple kool-aid but many fans like to see what the local news is saying about the game. You think I just want to read all the Rah, rah articles from Green Bay? That is like sticking your head in the closet. Your perspective and football knowledge is extremely limited if all you do is read and digest your own local opinions.

38. By PackerFanLivingInMN on Nov 11, 2011 | Reply

And yes, some of us like to take reading the blog articles one step further and post a comment. I do this all the time on other opponents blogs and never get the reaction that I do here. All this talk about “classless” and “making Packer fans look bad” and such. Its ridiculous. All fan bases have morons that post stupid stuff as I have seen here on both sides.

But having some meaningful, intelligent trash talking that is relevant to football and the game and not making personal attacks on someone, now there is nothing wrong with that.

39. By PackerFanLivingInMN on Nov 11, 2011 | Reply

Like @Sir Greasy Panda-

I would love for the Vikings to attempt to run a no huddle against our defense. That has always works well for a rookie QB on the road, especially against a Defense that is #1 in takeaways.

You can call our defense lousy but lets not forget that our schemes and many of the bad stats are a direct correlation to how good the offense is. Bend but don’t break. We have been up most games by > 21 and then get relaxed and let teams back in at the end, only to stop them when it counts. Same players on this Defense that ranked 5th overall last year and won the Super Bowl.

40. By bob on Nov 11, 2011 | Reply

bababababababababababababababababababababababababababbababababababababababababababababababababababababaabbabababababababbababababa

41. By bob on Nov 11, 2011 | Reply

go vikings

42. By bob on Nov 11, 2011 | Reply

money $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

43. By Tarkstillowns on Nov 12, 2011 | Reply

It is difficult to beat anyone in the nfl twice in the same season, let alone a rested powerhouse team such as the Vikes.
    they always seem to play better on monday night as an underdog. i say they hand the arrogant pack their first loss.

44. By Leftyfixit on Nov 12, 2011 | Reply

Here is the Probblem for you Packers to concider. If the Packers are playing at their best and Barely getting a win, then You Will Definetly lose Monday to the Vikings. The Vikings have a rookie quarterback and offensive players who are improveing with each game. You say your team is at it’s best. The Vikings will Very likely improve beyond what the Slackers can handle. Shame about your perfect season. The Vikings will be study material for all of the other teams, the Rest of the season in how to beat the Slackers!!

45. By Viking Joe on Nov 12, 2011 | Reply

Why would any packer fan go on to the Vikings web site?

46. By packermom47 on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

45-7!!!! The Vikings team is far better than some of their fans. After last nights game, I was very impressed by their comments,. Too bad their fans arent the same. They are a good team, they will be better. Just not good enough to beat the Super Bowl champions- This reallly sticks in your guts,doesnt it? Maybe next year–maybe never.