Frazier Optimistic Winfield Will Be Available Monday Night

Posted by Mike Wobschall on November 8, 2011 – 11:21 am

The bad news is the Vikings defense must go up against the Packers and their high-flying passing attack on Monday night. But the good news is the Vikings defense might have its best CB on the field for the challenge.

Antoine Winfield, who has missed the past 4 games with a neck injury, has been steadily improving over the last few weeks, and now head coach Leslie Frazier sounds optimistic the 13-year veteran will be on the field for the Vikings Monday Night Football showdown with the Packers.

“Antoine was able to practice today, which was good,” Frazier said on Monday. “He had a good practice and went through some things today, and we are optimistic that he will be ready to go when we get to Monday night.”

Winfield and the team have been (wisely) cautious in bringing #26 back. You don’t want to mess around with neck injuries. The Friday before the October 23 game against Green Bay, Winfield was reportedly going to try and practice, which would’ve given him an outside chance of playing that Sunday. As it turned out, Winfield was unable to give it a go. Winfield made it back to the practice field during the week leading up to the Vikings game at Carolina, but ultimately Winfield and the team decided to give the neck another game – plus the bye week – to heal.

Now, assuming he can practice without limitations this week, Winfield seems on track to play on Monday night. And although it will be great just to see him back on the field, Frazier indicated the final step to seeing if Winfield – regarded as the best tackling CB in the NFL – is back to full strength is to see if he is making the plays he typically makes.

“You have to find out if he’s going to stick his head in there and make some of those tackles that we’re accustomed to seeing him make, some of those plays, and the only way you’re going to find that out is in a game situation because we’re not going to simulate it in practice,” Frazier explained. “He’ll get a chance to go hit the dummies with his uniform on and maybe wrap a guy up but he won’t be able to take him to the ground so we’ll have to watch him during the course of the game and see if he’s playing like the Antoine that we know.”

Tags: ,

99 Responses to “Frazier Optimistic Winfield Will Be Available Monday Night”

1. By DRS on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

Coach Fraziar, will you get Web more involved in this game, such as a receiver or an running back?

2. By Kody Wiig on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

Anybody heard cook status? 2 game suspension but are they keeping him if he ain’t in jail

3. By Canadian Vikes Fan on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

If he doesn’t play and Chris Cook doesn’t play which it looks like he won’t, Aaron Rodgers might throw for 1000 yards on Monday

4. By garrett1212 on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

Cook should be cut immediately. No way that guy should see the field by the end of this year or next year. Years ago they cleaned house after the love boat scandal. Can’t have guys like this in the organization. Sure Dallas, Oakland, or Cincy will pick him up.

5. By Mike J on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

I think Frazier is so busy worrying about losing his job he’s not paying attention to weather we win or lose which at the end will cause him his job. He already dodged two bullets when he was on the hot seat he decided to bench Mcnabb even though deep inside he didn’t want to but it was either him or Mcnabb same for Berrian, and even though cook is still on the team I net if Frazier goes back on that hot seat again releasing Cook will be hid way to take the pressure off of him. Frazier was a DB and our DB’s that’s starting sucks so that shows how dumb he is when it comes to evaluating talent

6. By Ponderforpresident on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

Get cook out of here, He is in trouble and always will get in trouble. Doesn’t belong in the NFL period. I hate politics in foot ball. Play to win or get off the field.

7. By Spencer on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

You guys clearly dont know football if you think Chris Cook is bad. The most receptions hes allowed this year were 3 and that was to Megatron. Hes locked up Vincent Jackson, Mike Williams, Dwayne Bowe, and Larry Fitzgerald! Hes clearly the best Pure Cover Corner on the team. I could understand if you what him cut for the off the field stuff. But on the field hes been playing great. To say hes bad is just pure garbage. Cedric Griffin is 5x worse.

8. By Stoney on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

Right on Spencer, he has played well this season. I’d give him 1 more shot to clean up his act , if not he gets the boot!

9. By Frederick Jones on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

@DRS,

A few months ago I was against getting Webb involved, but with the mounting losses I can see the wisdom behind it.

10. By Frederick Jones on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

Why didn’t we put an emphasis on drafting, buying, or trading for
    Offensive Linemen and Defensive Backs when
    EVERYONE and his SISTER
    knew those were CLEARLY our weakest areas?

11. By Frederick Jones on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

@Jackson,

I am re-running your evaluation of strong WRs, DBs, and OLs because
    it’s probably better than what the incompetent Scouts and VPs have for
    the Vikings:

#1.LT-Matt Khalil, USC
    #2.LT-Jonathan Martin, Stanford
    #3.LT-Riley Reiff, Iowa
    WR:
    #1. Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State
    #2. Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina
    #3. Michael Flloyd, Notre Dame
    DB:
    #1. Morris Claiborne, LSU
    #2. Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama
    #3. Janoris Jenkins, Florida :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?)

12. By VegasVike on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

@Freder- I think Les felt McNabb could cover all the other deficiencies

13. By Frederick Jones on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

@VegasVike,

I think you are right. McNabb may yet make a comeback, but I doubt that it would be with the Vikings.

If the Vikings defeat Green Bay, it would save Leslie Frazier’s job and render most of my arguments of the need of OLs, and DBs unnecessary. At least for a short time period.

But I am trying to look long-term, which is apparently one of the things our current VPs can’t get together on. It’s an ego thing…”Hey I am the one responsible for picking Kyle Rudolph”…or whoever.

We need someone who will consider the team’s needs over their own ego.

14. By VegasVike on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

I hear ya, it’s like all they do is go for high profile, big names like they’re planning a reality show or something. Maybe Kim Karshadian will become draft eligible!
    Our secondary has always been weak for the most part, maybe they think that’s the normal thing to be, who knows.
    The good news is if we’re gonna have a poor O Line at least we have a little Fran Tark in the making for QB. I can’t wait for the Monday night game, I’m hoping CP will shock the world.

15. By Spence on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

Frederick Jones. Can you please just Shutup! Everyday on here I see you post the SAME comment about not drafting o-linemen and what not. We cant go back into the past and change things. Just give it a rest man. There is a reason why you’re a FAN and not a scout. You whine like a Women.

16. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

FRED JONES IS RIGHT!!!

17. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

Is Frazier going to get some help to determine whether a challenge flag should be thrown?

18. By Joe F on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

The last time we played Green Bay we didn’t have Cook or Winfield and we held Rodgers and the Pack under their average yards per game. Have a little faith. I’m more concerned with our front four and linebackers getting pressure on Rodgers. I really hope they get a few schemes like they did against Vick last year and Allen has a huge game. I live in AZ and have my Packer loving Father-in-Law visiting. To send him back to WI with a loss would be SWEET!!!!

19. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

Vikings will be the first to beat the Pack this year– guaranteed.

20. By Dionte on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

I understand how everyone feels on the Chris Cook issue but I don’t believe we should cut him . He’s more than likely not going to play this year anyways so we should let this play out and see what happens. But I do believe if he doesn’t fly right after this he’s gone without a doubt .

But I say we go for Blackmon or Claiborne first in the draft then address other needs . Although we need OL I can guarantee they will be stars in this league so in my opinion we should go after either of them first .

21. By Dionte on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

Clean house in the front office and get rid of that lame cover 2 and watch the difference …

22. By CanadianVF on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

@ Dionte, would love to see either of those guys in purple, but if we do not fix or get rid of the Tampa Two zone coverage, it may not matter who they draft our pass coverage will continue to be at the bottom of the league.

23. By Dionte on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

@ CanadianVF exactly . I don’t understand how we continue to run this pass coverage year after year with the same results .

24. By CanadianVF on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

The only hope I have against the Pack is that they are giving up a lot of points each game. No question their offense has been lights out, but you wonder if they can win another Super Bowl with that defense. Hoping that Ponder and company will be able to string long drives together and keep their offense on the sidelines. Maybe being on the cover of S. I. will jinx them and we can win on their field like they did on ours.

25. By VikesOwn on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

winfield is playing he said for sure he will play on vikings weekly. and chris cooke maybe will play this year

26. By VikesOwn on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

dude frazier wanted mcnabb to be bench he didnt do that cuz of his job he probably not gunna losee his job anytime soon. and he thinks cook shoudnt play so shutup you dont know anything

27. By VikesOwn on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

your dumb he thinks berrian was bad and he was dude your stupid

28. By CanadianVF on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

@ Dionte, This season I have watched Megatron run to a spot in the endzone, no one covering him and Stafford throws the ball to him for an easy td. Jennings is so wide open he catches the ball and jogs the last 25 yards into the endzone. Last week the guy who caught the long one at the end of the Carolina game to set up a potential game tying field goal. You just want to put your foot through the T V. This problem was here when Frazier was the defensive coordinator and it still is with him as the head coach, he is the common thread.

29. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

Sad to say but this “problem” has been here for a long time– longer than Frazier.

30. By CanadianVF on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

Your right Titus. We got get on that 8 win roll and it starts in Green Bay.

31. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

BAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

32. By Josh on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

All of you people who are nay saying Frazier, need to lay off. You all expect him to take the vikings to the superbowl in one year. Whether you like it or not, we are in the rebuiding phase. You should be ashamed to call yourselves vikings fans and whine about them this much. Grow a pair and shut your mouths.

33. By sandiamond on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

packers D is horrid! in this game for sure and gree bay going down soon

34. By Parody on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

Josh – I don’t disagree with you completely, but you clearly don’t know all the facts. Frazier actually announced that he planned to take the team to the Super Bowl this year.

I went to training camp on a day that had plenty of festivities planned for fans to enjoy. After the final practice of the day, the team had a big to-do, throwing around a bunch of signed mini-footbálls into the stands and then Frazier addressed the fans who came to watch the practice, who ended up overflowing the bleachers on both sides of the field and filled the hills in front of the endzones.

The one thing I vividly recall Frazier stating in that speech was that he was going to take this team to Super Bowl 46. Now I thought that was pretty lofty thinking at any time this year, and never really believed it. But the fact that he announced that as his plan has some people fooled that the team should be doing much better right now.

35. By Trojan_horse on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

The Lions are the only threat left on GB’s schedule. Don’t get your hopes up Minnesota. Just keep whining about your new stadium and leave the football talk to us, Champions. Four time Champions!

36. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

Parody, that is an interesting story– for real? Not to doubt you, but that is a bit hard to believe.

37. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

Trojan — I just held my nose and looked at your schedule on the Packers site. Whew– I can breathe again. Sorry, but you play some decent teams coming up– at the Giants? Seriously? You will lose that one. At the Chiefs? That could go either way. Against the Bucs, Raiders, and Bears? Ha! And throw in the Lions and Vikings. Pack will lose at least 4 of the remaining games.
    It all starts Monday– I also noted that some of the wins the Pack has had were against some pretty bad teams— then again, the Saints, Chargers, and YES, the Vikings kept it very close.

38. By Parody on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

For real Titus. Frazier is a likable guy, and does a good job of giving a motivational speech at times, but he seems to set his goals too high too early. That’s why he never admitted that we are in a rebuilding phase.

Hopefully though, he will start to realize that he needs to get the rebuilding process moving full throttle. There’s some youth on the team that can benefit a lot from gameday experience, while there are some overpaid vets that need to be given serious consideration for replacement at the end of the season.

39. By Trojan_horse on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

2-6 Vikings… yeah good luck with that. Alot of wishfull thinking going on in that little brain. Again looking for real competition in 3 weeks against Detroit. You need to have more than 2 wins to get me to climb the walls in anxiety. Stick to the stadium talk Titus, and count on losing from here on out.

40. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

Interesting Parody– how come I never heard Frazier say that before? I should Google it.

41. By MLS on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

I wonder if the coaching staff ever considered that maybe the players we have in the secondary are best suited to play man to man under a 2 deep zone and to be physical at the line of scrimmage. That is how we need to play the Pack this week. The Cover 2 requires to much thought.

42. By Arrow86 on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

Parody:

YOu’re right that Frazier is a phenomenal human being. We should all aspire to have his character and optimism. However, most junior high coaches with a 10 to 21 point lead could figure out a way to win 2 out of 3 at least. Frazier 0-3. That is a clear sign that he is to slow to make adjustments and doesn’t belong as a head coach.

43. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

Funny, Trojan Horse, to resort to belittling comments. Usually the recourse of immature individuals sensing a boxed-in sensation, almost like a cornered cub, at which a lashing out is the only defense.

What is remarkable is how the Saints were beat by the lowly Rams. And how the Cardinals nearly beat the Ravens (arguably the best AFC team) at Baltimore. So, yes, the lowly Vikings at 2-6 will come into Green Bay and hand it to them– remember, the first four games we lost by an avg of 5 points– Records can fool people– hint hint.

44. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

Arrow- give Frazier at least through mid-season next year. Everyone needs some proving ground– remember he has been a head coach for less than a full season. Give it a realistic chance– the argument could easily be made that he has learned and if we were to start the season over– we would have had Ponder at the helm and be 4-4 right now. Who knows? One bounced ball can make the difference.

45. By Trojan_horse on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

Like I said, get used to losing and quite possibly relocating your garbage team. It’s going to take a week to air out the Minnesota stench from Lambeau field after the Viqueens stink it up Monday. Mike McCarthy is going to have to wear a respirator when shaking Leslie Frasier’s hand after we win so he doesn’t pass out from the fumes. Don’t cry now 2-6 Titus. Enjoy watching us repeat.

46. By VegasVike on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

Trojan horse, your reservoir tip is full of confidence however your sac is empty. Titus is correct, your team has had a weak schedule so far and it’s only gonna get more difficult. Over confidence is the enemy, everybody knows that and if your team is as arrogant as you failure is certain. Hold you sac close because 50% of your season remains, even if you go to your own blogs (which you should) you’d see your brothers have concerns.

47. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

Ha ha ha– Trojan horse, your immaturity rises like the Phoenix. Now you emulate my posting, using the same stench remarks. Please, at least try some originality. And, sorry pal, I am not crying anytime soon. I love watching football, but unlike the Packer fans, I have a lot of other interests and pursuits– oh, and we have more than football in Minneapolis. That’s why the cheeseheads can’t wait to vacation here.

48. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

Well, Vegas, I am still searching for a place to bike ride in the near future–I see the Bahamas or Canary Islands may be good choices– Trojan Horse, don’t read this posting– you will be clueless– yes those are places and no, they are not in Iowa.

49. By VegasVike on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

Titus what’s with the name upgrade?

50. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

I don’t know– one of the invaders used titanium as a username when responding to me and I thought it fit–

51. By Trojan_horse on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

I live in Minneapolis Titus, I eat at places like Nami and Manny’s steak house. Don’t judge little guy. I too have other interests than football, thanks for asking. I also enjoy ribbing you thin skinned Viking fans. I can garantee my worry is less than yours since I know my team WILL play in the same state next year. I’m also dissapointed that the NBA is not playing yet. Oh well, there should be snow soon, can’t wait to hit up Afton Alps this winter, or maybe play a little racketball.

52. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

Not worried one iota. I believe you read my post but did not comprehend it– I said I have more than football in my life. Better get to bed — you need to be up to catch the bus to school. I hope they are teaching reading comprehension to kids these days.

53. By Trojan_horse on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

How about Tiny Titus. That would fit you nicely little man. Although titanium is thin like a Viking fan’s skin, and it’s also light. Kind of like the Viking’s trophy case. Titanium Titus = Thin-skinned Little man.

54. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

Good night Trojan Horse.

55. By Trojan_horse on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

GB 75
    MIN 3

56. By Trojan_horse on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

I promise I’ll quit after Monday night. If Green Bay loses to you guys I’ll give you the props that you deserve but until then, Go Pack Go!

57. By VegasVike on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

Do they not have spell check for packer computers? That little red dotted line under a word that you type? That means you spelled it wrong.
    HEY MAN …. I’VE BEEN IN THE TENTH GRADE HERE FOR FOUR YEARS NOW I THINK I KNOW WHAT’S GOING ON!!

58. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

Ha ha ha– Vegas– let the kid be. I should not have exchanged any comments with him– his parents were looking for him to put him to bed. I think he was hiding in the basement.

59. By Woodboat on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

@Trojan_Horse…

IF the Vikings beat the Pack, and its a big if, admittedly, I will be VERY surprised if you come back here and give we VIkes fans props. I can remember the Panther troll coming in here throwing insults around… don’t remember seeing him post after the Vikes won that game. So… talk smack but don’t be a liar.

60. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Trojan Horse…..watch out for those crotch termites.

61. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Ah, Nova, I am about to go to bed— and you show up. I cannot believe I even wasted my breath on the exchange above— it is beneath me.
    Have you been to the Canary Islands?

62. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Never,Titus. I have got a good case of the flu right now,,,,temperature 103.

63. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

i think the Nyquil is kicking in….talk to you later.

64. By Sir Greasy Panda on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

I would never go on the packers site. Its soo funny how Packer fans love to come on here and try to egg us on. Im so glad Im not a Packer, Steeler, Cowboy, Patriots, Jets, or Bears fan. If I was into bandwagons then I would be. Its interesting to note the teams that some generations are into.

There are those that are loyal to their local teams but as Trojan Horse pointed out above he is from Minne, and by the tone of his blog he sounds kinda of young. So I’m guessing he jumped on the Brett Favre Packer band wagon from 97. Which I believe is where many young Packer fans jumped on.

Here in California many people my age, Im 24, are 49er or Cowboy fans. Those that jumped on the success of both these teams in the late 80s or 90s.

You rarely see Bills fans because they lost so many Super bowls, just like us. Now all I see on kids are Patriots, Colts, and Packer jerseys, a result of band wagoning by their parents or perhaps themselves. What was funny was that when the Vikes were blowing up in 09, all of a sudden there were Viking fans everywhere in CA. Then they lost and then it was the Saints.

The way I see it if your team has not won a super bowl recently you probably wont have many fans following your team. Im the only Viking fan I know here in southern california. But trust me there are so many packer “fans” out here. that is until the Saints or Patriots win one.

65. By Sir Greasy Panda on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Does anyone else find it annoying that all these new rules that have been implemented by the NFL could have turned the history of our team???

The OT in the playoffs that if a team kicks a FG then the other team receives the opportunity to have the ball one last time. Saints vs Vikings 09

And the new “automatic review on all scoring plays”. Last year against the Packers when it was clear that the Packer receiver lost control of the ball and Childress did not challenge and then the horrible overturn of Shiancoe’s TD catch. If we win that game like we were supposed to the Packers never make the playoffs and win the SB.

It always makes me a little upset to see the new rules which should have been rules a long time ago. Im just saying.

66. By Mike B. on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Here’s something for the Vikings Organization to think of. Yesterday the people of Souix Falls SD voted and passed a resolution for a new 113 million dollar event center. It was done by informing the voters about the pluses and minuses of the issue and allowed the people to choose on the issue. It was done without raising taxes (issuing bonds). This was a decade long process where diffrent sites were discussed. But the fact in this economy and in one of the most republican states in the US an event center was approved. Don’t be afraid of the power of the people, if you inform them they will vote for the best choice. Take Care

67. By Rocksalt on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Gov. Mark Dayton Tuesday put pressure on lawmakers to step forward to help build a new Minnesota Vikings stadium.

“It’s time for leaders of the Legislature to show some leadership,” Dayton said. He stressed that if lawmakers are “concerned about providing jobs in the private sector,” they should move on the stadium project, because clearing a new stadium site and building a new football home would create thousands of private-sector jobs.

“I would just urge everybody to put the focus back on what they can be for,” Dayton said. “Some people, all they know is ‘No’ to this, ‘No’ to that, ‘No’ to everything.” That’s not constructive leadership. What are you willing to support?”

The governor had planned to share his recommendations for a stadium plan on Monday but delayed that after House Speaker Kurt Zellers made clear he opposed the idea of special session for a stadium. Dayton said Tuesday that the momentum has been lost.

“We’re just back in the Twilight Zone,” Dayton said. He accused some lawmakers of wanting to delay a decision until after the 2012 election. That, he said, would be a decision from lawmakers to save one job — that of the lawmaker — rather than help create many jobs by building the stadium.

Tuesday Dayton, who has said he is open to most methods of funding the state’s portion of a stadium project, also made some of his preferences clear.

“I’m for maximizing the private team’s contribution,” he said.

He said “at this point” his preferred source of state funding would come from expanding pull tabs in tabs but “I’m not going to oppose other ones, at this point.” The idea of using constitutionally dedicated funds, so-called Legacy Funds, has been floated to help the state fund part of the stadium project, Dayton said Tuesday that using those funds was a “bad idea.”

He also mentioned a “memorabilia tax on the Vikings souvenirs and things sold there” and “a ticket tax on users of the stadium.”

He said he finds both Minneapolis and Arden Hills would be good sites for a future Vikings home and would not pick among them.

The governor also said he does not favor using the clause in the Vikings lease that could force the team to play in their current Metrodome home.

“We shouldn’t be engaged in that kind of hostile posturing with the Vikings…they’re our team. And they want to stay here,” Dayton said. “So are we going to sue the Vikings? Come on. What are we doing here. This is about moving Minnesota forward.”

Jim Ragsdale contributed to this report
    MPLS STAR TRIBUNE

68. By Rocksalt on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

THE PARTY OF NO YET AGAIN REFUSES TO MOVE ANTHING FORWARD……….REMEMBER THIS COME ELECTION TIME, ESPECIALLY IF VIKES LEAVE FOR GREENER PASTURES……….

69. By Rocksalt on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

then get out the tar and feathers….

70. By Mike B on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

@Rocksalt stop the hating of the Republican party. The Democrats have been hating since they lost the first election to GW almost 11yrs ago. Now we can’t achieve any compromise between the two parties as there is so much bitterness. It’s time to clean house and get back to debating and compromising. Time for this political hate fest to end. Have a great day.

71. By Woodboat on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

I agree, Mike B. Both parties need to look in the mirror and remember what they are supposed to be about… serving this country. Politics has become so ego/money driven that its nearly completely broken.

The problem is, which side is going to blink first? I think that Obama has compromised both with the Republican party and in foreign affairs… something that he’s been soundly criticized for. How much have the Republican representatives to DC compromised since he’s been in office? They’ve built a platform out of saying they won’t budge… hence, the Party of No.

72. By Struts37 on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

1. I dont know what I would do if the Vikes left. I love watching all football in general but having a team to chear for week in and week out, highs and lows, makes it all the better. I think I might go into a slight state of depression next year if they are gone. 2. I think we have a slight chance to win this week. It will be tough and we will have to make some big plays/get some lucky bounces. AND we can NOT punt the ball to the packers if we are close in the final few minutes and expect to get the ball back. If Rogers wants, He can move the ball down the field in a minute much less get a couple of first downs.

73. By Frederick Jones on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

@Titanium Titus,

Thank you for your support. I know that I am fighting for something none of us bloggers really understand, or have the inside story.

Certainly there has to be a change in the Vikings Administration. Like the Twins with Bill Smith, you can’t go on like that forever, even though 4 key players were hurt almost the entire season.

You can’t just ignore weaknesses over a two year span and keep your job. This isn’t high school.

74. By Frederick Jones on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

@Titanium Titus,

Your initial statement about McNabb was right on. I never saw him play from 2009 to 2010. But Spielman did. But Frazier did. But…But… etc.

It should make vikings.com bloggers mad that we don’t have one of the best
    defensive backfields in the NFL. The opportunities were there, many times over.

Offensive Line? Instead of Donovan McNabb, grab a couple good FA Linemen, and we’re talking playoffs!

75. By Frederick Jones on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Do not count McNabb out.

Look up John Hadl, and Jim Plunkett. Those two guys had some very bad seasons, but came back in a big way. Plunkett won a Super Bowl!

I think McNabb won’t be a factor for the Vikings. But comebacks happen.

Jeff Garcia, couldn’t even keep the Lions QB job with a very bad team. Suddenly he is in demand in Philadelphia.

These things happen.

76. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Also Plunkett had a VERY bad helmet. We used to refer to him as “Squashhead”.

77. By PAUL M. on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Sorry, Frederick — McNabb’s timing isn’t that great. I believe he is done as a starter — and most likely as a backup as well.

There are too many good young QB’s who are coming out of college much better trained, than those young QB’s 30 years ago.

78. By SaltyDog on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

The economy is on the rise, dont let them lie to you. NASDAQ jan 08: 7,400. Nasdaq yesterday: 12,226. Our economy is almost twice as powerful as it was when Bush left office. In September there were more job openings in one month than any since 2002. Get the stadium built you chumps!!

79. By SaltyDog on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Gore had more votes than Bush jr. I will stop hating the repubs, as soon as they stop hating gays, minorities, the poor, and immigrants. Shut your stupid mouth until you know what you are talking about.

80. By SaltyDog on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

When the speaker of the house says the repubs number one objective is to make Obaa a one term president, I think it’s pretty easy to identify who is trying to hurt America. The crazy republicans and hateful tea baggers. If you are a reasonable republican, then I am not reffering to you. Just 90% of the radicals that have weasled into offfice on lies, want to tax the poor and increase the wealth gap while stripping privicy rights from americans and attacjing labor unions. Party of no and hate.

81. By TITANIUM TITUS on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

What ignorance.

82. By Troutdaddy on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Nice to see the comments by Nova, Titus and Vegas… Very good insights and opinions. So, here is my take:
    1- Frazier can still get the job done. Those who are throwing him under the bus need to realize that he deserves a shot- just like Ponder is getting.
    2- Winfield- if he is good to go will be a plus for us on Monday.
    3- Cook can play, no doubt about it, but the Vikes do not need another player to bring this team down.
    4- Lastly, yes we are in a rebuilding year, but now that we have Ponder, I truly believe that we could honestly win 5-6 more games- starting with the Packers on Monday. I think that when all is said and done on Monday night, the idiotic Packer fans who have been commenting in this blog will all be in therapy trying to recover from the loss…. I BLEED PURPLE… Nuf said…

83. By 61vikings on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

This blog is about Antoine Winfield people, stay focused!! When this guy is healthy, he’s one of the best players on this team!! A 13 year career in the NFL is something to be proud of, considering how much of a beating these guys take!! We haven’t had any big name CB’s in Minnesota in our team history, although I did like Bobby Bryant, Antoine Winfield is an all around great player and the best tackler on this team!! It will be great to have you back Monday!! P.S. remember the Philly game last year, when you were the player of the game!!

84. By CA Norwegian on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

The day everyone stays on topic,. is the day it stops being a blog. If someone had not been ‘fire childress’, would it have happened? Wehope that their common sense will leak into the coaching of the team, through this blog. Now that someone finallty acted in putting in Ponder, does anyone other than McNabb believe he should still be out there? I love Winfield, but his prime is past. I hope he will coiach for the Vikes in the future, and it will be a great thing. He has more in the tank than McNabb.

85. By CA Norwegian on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

I have to admit, they have done very well in sighing back many good players, Anyone following how Sidney Rce is doing? I think they made a good fiscal decision letting him go and ignoring our complaints at the time. My complaint would be some decisions come to slowly, like the obvious Berrian they released. Others might have been too fast, like McKinnie. Ponder said he was ready to go, before they picked up McNabb. Ponder is smart, coaches should have listened. He may say things to keep the heat off the coaches, but really?
    McNabb showed him how not to do it, really.

86. By Woodboat on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Winfield is a great tackler, but we need a great CB. I’d like to see them move him to safety if he plays next year, and give his spot to a rookie. Actually, I’d like to see both CB spots filled by rookies…. what we have on the roster just isn’t cutting it. I HOPE that the team has too much integrity to keep Cook should the allegations about him prove true. He’s the best CB we have, but wife-beating can’t be tolerated. Look at the issues Penn State is having because of ignoring criminal activity by people with poor character. I’m not saying that Cook’s actions even compare to Sandusky’s, but they can’t be ignored because he can cover Calvin Johnson….

87. By 61vikings on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

@ CA Norwegian
    The day any coach or any front office pays attention to these blogs and makes a decision based on what we say, should be fired ASAP!! This is a first year Head Coach and even they make mistakes like the players do every game!! You’ve got to give a coach 2-3 years, to allow him to build the team around his way of coaching and evaluating talent!! The Lions didn’t give up on Schwartz and look how he’s turned around his team!!

88. By Woodboat on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Winfield is a great tackler, but we need a great CB. I’d like to see them move him to safety if he plays next year, and give his spot to a rookie. Actually, I’d like to see both CB spots filled by rookies…. what we have on the roster just isn’t cu tting it. I HOPE that the team has too much integrity to keep Cook should the allegations about him prove true. He’s the best CB we have, but wi fe-be ating can’t be tolerated. Look at the issues Penn State is having because of ignoring crim inal activity by people with poor character. I’m not saying that Cook’s actions even compare to Sandusky’s, but they can’t be ignored because he can cover Calvin Johnson….

89. By Woodboat on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Oops..sorry for the double post. So used to getting my posts rejected I automatically assume it was when it doesn’t pop right up.

90. By CA Norwegian on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

All you partisian blue people should think about becoming giants fans so you can show your colors. As a senator, Obama received the most lobby money from Freddy Mac (many millions of dollars) in the year that preceeded our financial crisis. None of these guys have clean hands. The timing of the financial collapse with the election, was no accident. I do appreciate the Patent reforms, but not much else from the current administration. Usually it is the goal of an opponent to unseat the other guy. Pres should appologise to the neighbor of Prof. Gates for decrying racial profililing, when all she saw was a break in and no racial profiliing was taking place.

91. By PuRpLe n' GoLd on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Say we get the stadium and everything is great…..where do the vikings play next year when the metrodome lease is out?..

92. By Rocksalt on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

HEY… HO….. WAY TO OHIO!

93. By Rocksalt on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

WAY TO GO PARTY OF NO!

94. By Rocksalt on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Mike B- the Republicans are saying no to everything proposed by the Democrats.yet they have no solutions…only NO. And speaking of hatred.the Republican party is full of hating zealots……..
    I will concede that there must exist a few sensible ones……..but they seem to be few and far between.

95. By David P on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Josh, If this is a rebuilding year then where is the rebuilding. Same ole OL, same ol DB’s. Same old players with little or no heart. call it like it is. It is a rebuilding year but no one thought about rebuilding.

96. By hippster on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

@ the demarats are the party of lets spend eveyones money but their own .man i can almost here your little suckle sounds from here .poor little lamb we must take care of you eh cant take care of yourself eh why don’t you liberal maggets take off your grandmas knit hats ,move out of your mommys basements ,get a job and some real responsibility in your lives . with you people its always someone else’s fault end of story

97. By CanadianVF on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

@ Woodboat, very good post and I totally agree. Of all the positions on the team losing a corner of his ability is the last thing we needed. If he is gone then we wasted a very high draft pick and we have taken a step backward. I wonder if the coaching staff will try to work in some of our draft picks from last year into the defensive secondary?

98. By HawaiianBoy_VikingFan on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Lots of people like to hate on Spielman, but he has had some very solid picks. We might have picked Brady Quinn with rick running the show!

99. By HawaiianBoy_VikingFan on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply