Allen Moves Closer To 100th Career Sack; Single-Season Record Possible?

Posted by Mike Wobschall on November 1, 2011 – 9:00 am

On Sunday against the Carolina Panthers and QB Cam Newton, DE Jared Allen continued his dominant season by tallying another sack, and also recording a forced fumble, fumble recovery and pass defensed. It’s been a disappointing season for the Vikings as a team with a 2-6 start, but Allen has been a bright spot along the way and he’s playing at perhaps the highest level of his career.

Allen now has 12.5 sacks for the season, which is tops in the NFL, and he has 95.5 career sacks, which is also tops in the NFL since he entered the League in 2004. He’s just 4.5 sacks away from #100 for his career, and he’s on pace to top the single-season sack mark (22.5) set by Michael Strahan in 2001.

Allen’s streak of games with at least a .5 sack is now at 10 games, which is a Vikings franchise record, and perhaps more impressive is that Allen has at least a .5 sack in 16 of his last 17 games. Only Hall of Famers Reggie White (124.0) and Derrick Thomas (98.0) have more sacks in the first eight seasons of a career than Allen; that’s pretty good company.

With just 4.5 sacks to go until 100.0, what once sounded like just a distant possibility has turned into a likely event – Allen could record his 100th career sack in 2011. He entered the season with 83.0 career sacks and needed a career-high 17.0 to get to 100.0. Now halfway through the season, Allen is at 95.5 career sacks and maybe he even has his eyes on that single-season mark.

This week the Vikings go into their bye week, so Allen can’t add to his total. Coming out of the bye, the Vikings play at Green Bay, vs. Oakland, at Atlanta, vs. Denver, at Detroit, vs. New Orleans, at Washington and vs. Chicago. Of those 8 opponents, 5 are in the bottom half of the League in sacks allowed.

The QB he gets to for #100 isn’t as important as actually getting there. The bottom line is Allen has been a tremendously important part of this defense, and great part of the Vikings identity since 2008. In fact, since 2008 (when the Vikings acquired Allen via trade) only DeMarcus Ware (56.5) has more sacks than Allen’s 52.5.

Tags:

81 Responses to “Allen Moves Closer To 100th Career Sack; Single-Season Record Possible?”

1. By David P on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Wow a good topic for a blog. I am still waiting though ona blog about the catering. Congrats to Allen. Too bad he is on a team with only a few players who actually want to play.

2. By Snowro on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Vikings will go 7 and 9 this season…. Not too shabby

3. By Touchdown on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Vikings better go 8-8. Although I’m still dreaming of the 10-6. I just hope we win tie breakers.

4. By Mike B. on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

@Troutdaddy The last blog post was an insult to the Fan’s intelligence. The OL and Def secondary did just enough for us to win the game and we almost lost it. There is no reason they should get kudos for their performance. Esp since Mike W during the live chat commented that no one was doing their jobs specifically the first half. We are happy for the win yes, but don’t blow smoke over a bad apple.

5. By Mike B. on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

BTW congrats to Jerad Allen I am pulling for him to get his 100th sack this year. Would be better yet to get them all on Aaron Rodgers. :)

6. By GM on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Sack # 100 against Sharon Rodgers in week 10.

7. By Troutdaddy on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

@Mike B- I don’t disagree with you totally- I think my point is that many people are being so critical about every little thing- like Ponder. In the beginning many of the most vocal bloggers here were throwing his potential under the bus too. To your point- I did not give kudo’s to the OL or the secondary- I simply said that as fans we need to apreciate the win and quit whining for a second. The fact that this blog is becoming a catalyst to slay Wobschall is pathetic. He writes for the VIKINGS Website. He looks for the positives. He also is very careful how he spins the negatives because ITS HIS JOB. He represents his “Family” if you will so people need to cut him some slack. I surely don’t agree with all of his columns either, but I do respect his opinions as I do yours.I just think people are pretty ignorant and quick to throw rocks at folks because the “apples” are not falling into the basket the way they think they should.

8. By GM on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Umm…I know it’s bad luck to be superstitious, but the tag cloud curse is starting to effect the stadium issue. I BEG you to remove it.

9. By Peter G. on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Jared! Jared! Jared!

Just imagine what he could do with some help from the D-Line or secondary.

10. By Mike B. on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

@Troutdaddy Don’t get me wrong I appreciate the job Wobby does and has my support, but that particular blog article was blatant Viking kissing. I try keep things real and in prespective.

11. By LV on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

I hope he breaks his leg trying to sack Rodgers and never plays again.

12. By Titus on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

LV– there is therapy available.

13. By Titus on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

I highly suggest you get some.

14. By Paul on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Have to agree a little with Mike B. about Wooby’s praise of the secondary. Jamarca Sanford is terrible. For some unknown reason he is set up three yards deep in the end zone on Steve Smiths post pattern. Not Asher Allen’s fault that time, Smith made an inside move and Allen is supposed to have safety help over the middle. I was at the game and saw it coming a mile away. Why would u set up in the end zone? I didnt see Jamarca in for the rest of the game. Give Mistrial a shot.

15. By LV on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

I guess GM and Mike B need therapy as well. Jealousy of Aaron Rodgers and the Packers seems to be an epidemic in Minnesota.

16. By David P on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

I disagree, Allen should have tried to slow Smith down a little, but he did not. This offseason the vikings need to really address these bad areas and picking someone in the 6th and 7th round does not address.

17. By Titus on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

I think we win the next 8 games.

18. By LV on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

If the Vikings played the Colts 8 times in a row they might win 3 of 8.

19. By LV on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

What’s the difference between the Vikings and a one dollar bill?

You can get 4 quarters out of a one dollar bill.

20. By LV on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Titus, I didn’t know you play for the Viqueens. “WE should win the next 8 games” I think the correct term is they. Leave the losing to the Viqueens.

21. By Titus on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

LV– I said it before; I say it again. You need help.

22. By LV on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Titus, “Yeeha” your cousins callin, she said yes to your marriage proposal.

23. By Mike B. on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Vikings daily has Cut Cook? article. I say unless you have a better player in mind to take his place you had better keep him until you do. I can’t say I condone is alledged actions, but I wouldn’t cut him till I had a good replacement. The current set of CBs don’t cut it beyond Winfield. Keep Cook for now Coach see what happens.

24. By LV on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

I’m sorry. I do have problems my mom was a “Lady of the Evening” who drank and took on alot of “Johns” when she was pregnant with me. The soft spot got so pushed in that its hard for me to make rational decisions and friends in the real world so now I just troll websites trying my hardest to seek approval from fellow fans.

25. By Immureglass21 on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

I think what really hurts teams the most this year is the non-padded practices. Its hard to fix a defense without padded practices. But the stupid new rule that limits them I don’t think we’re gonna fix the problems until the off season. Unless they find a diamond in rough in one of the younger guys that we haven’t seen yet or they sign an affordable player that can make an impact thats on the waiver wire or in F.A.

26. By Immureglass21 on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

I really hope we get Winfield back and sort out the Cook situation by the time get back from the bye week because we’re really gonna need them against GB, Oak, and Atl.

27. By Frederick Jones on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

It seems as if everyone feels the top weak area is the defensive secondary, closely followed by the Offensive Line.

Is there anyone out there who feels that there are areas we need help with even more than the DBs or OLs???

And if so why???

I’ll try not to be harsh, but don’t count on the rest of the bloggers.

28. By Frederick Jones on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

@Titus,

Winning the last 9 games has only been done by two teams in the history of the NFL (unless the Vikings did it in 1998).

However winning 6 out of the last 8 has been done quite a few times.
    Finishing 8-8 would be a MAJOR achievement for a team with so many
    weak spots !

We as bloggers need to find out who the strong college players are at DB and OL. Then we should band together to see that the Vikings draft board do the right thing, and fix those weak spots.

WE do not need yet another expensive QB !

29. By Frederick Jones on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

does not do*

30. By Derek on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

LV what are you even doing on a vikings website. Get a life man a lot more out there in the world than football. Sounds like you need to get laid.

31. By Frederick Jones on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

@David P,

The problem with the Vikings isn’t that they don’t want to play, it’s that we lack talent in at least two areas (OL and DB)

The offense is limited to short plays, only. That kind of takes away from your element of surprise.

The defense cannot rush the qb because the DBs cannot cover anyone, LONG ENOUGH for sacks to take place. Along with that there are no interceptions because an all out rush is difficult.

32. By David P on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Even whne players are not talented they at least hustle. Allen and Johnson were not toaught that word and they definately do not do it in games. The vikings’ DB’s with the exception of Winfield and Cook do not play with any hustle or heart. I guess they are like BB. They love the catering.

33. By David P on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Man I wish I could view my post before posting for mispelling. I see three letter per line.

34. By Troutdaddy on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Prediction…. Vikings finish 9 and 7, they beat Green Bay, Detroit AND Chicago in our next bout with each of them. And, to LV (Whoever the freak he is)- May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits! Obviously the Packer blog kicked you out of their sandbox so you come to pollute ours. What a dufus…

35. By VikesOwn on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

man it will be epic if vikings go 10-6

36. By drew on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

I know this year we suck, I admit. But I’m still a loyal fan. I still remember crying 4 superbowlsin the 70s. We really need a shutdown corner, and a deep threat playmaker at wide receiver, we might win three more game than we will without them.

37. By rye on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

The vikings would not be smart to cut cook. He has shown some great ability on tape. Unless cook goes to jail for a long period, the vikings should keep him and then trade him at the end of the season for whatever draft pick(s) they can get.

38. By viking mom on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

i dont understand is this a viking fan website . please tell me why are people so negative. it is good to have a voice . to build up . i was at the game sunday and i could see an improvement on both sides of the ball .

39. By aaron rodgers on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Why do the vikings suck so much at life?

I am personally going to spank jared in front of howling fans, just like jared’s dad would whooop his @ss in church. This time, it’s personal.

40. By Immureglass21 on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Why don’t packers fan have a life?
    Are you really that desperate for attention?
    And way to soil the name of your biggest star on your team.
    Are you not creative enough to come up with your own name on here? Probably not seeing how your a broken record who keeps saying the same stupid comment when your on here.

41. By radzinwisconsin on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Just think if Fat Pat was still playing DT! That #92 guy is horrible and KW is gaining weight by the day thats slowing him down!! SKOL VIKES SKOL

42. By Immureglass21 on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

I don’t know Fat Williams really wasn’t that impressive last year. Granted he was without Big Kev (due to injury if I’m remembering correctly) for a few games. I think they should use Ballard or Griffen more because Remi hasn’t done much this year.

43. By Immureglass21 on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

I think Big Kev is being slowed down because he’s still nursing that foot injury that he’s had since the pre-season.

44. By CanadianVF on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Can you imagine what Jared Allens sack total would be if we actually had defensive secondary players that covered their man. I still do not know if it is the lack of talent or the zone coverage system that is the problem or both but we have got to find somebody who can fix the problem. It is our biggest deficiency on the this team by a county mile. Jared Allen, you rock, I love watching you play the game the way it is supposed to be played. Full throttle, on every play, you leave it all on the field, every game. Tremendous game on Sunday and our victory was due in no small part to your play. Well done!!!!!!!

45. By dryes on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

“. The bottom line is Allen has been a tremendously important part of this defense, and great part of the Vikings identity since 2008.”… gee, thanks so much for telling me what to think, Mike Wobblehead. Will you please be my mommy. Why don’t you stick to the facts and let the fans come to their own obvious conclusions. 1) Who are you to tell me what is important to me? 2) You are the only one who cares enough to blab about it. Give up, because yo will never be even adequate at your job. Quit now and get your horribleness away from the Vikings. You are worse than Toby from The Office.

46. By dryes on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

“The QB he gets to for #100 is not as important as actually getting there. The bottom line is Allen has been a tremendously important part of this defense, and great part of the Vikings identity since 2008.”… gee, thanks so much for telling me what to think, Mike Wobblehead. Will you please be my mommy. Why don’t you stick to the facts and let the fans come to their own obvious conclusions. 1) Who are you to tell me what is important to me? 2) You are the only one who cares enough to blab about it. Give up, because yo will never be even adequate at your job. Quit now and get your horribleness away from the Vikings. You are worse than Toby from The Office.

47. By dryes on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

The first blog is incomplete because Wobbly bottoms thinks that his posts are worthy of copywriting. Wow, be careful to not quote the great philosopher. You don’t have to be Aristotle to know that Wobbl-tits is no Socrates:)

48. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

When I read the immature trash that these room-temperature IQ “fans” of other teams leave here, I wonder if these people have ever experienced any worthwhile or exciting activity, besides trying to avoid their brother’s advances. That is the main reason that,because of all the regulars here (you know who you are), I will stay in touch with occasionally, but I am tired of responding to idiots. I feel like sometimes I am back in grade 2, these people bore me. Mike Wobschall, I am off your case.

49. By dryes on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

David P, I agree that Asher is not a starter and he is always a step behind. However, Steve Smith was averaging about 100 yds a game before Sunday, so that argument has no real merit. Do agree that we can do better with our personnel in the secondary.

50. By dryes on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

These other fans don’t matter at all. Their stupidity only amuses me.

51. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Dryes, it’s amusing for a while, but then it’s like hunting blind rabbits.

52. By Arrow86 on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

@Troutdaddy:

I wish my financial planner could paint such a rosey picture. I am happy we’re playing a little better, but I don’t see us matching up well with our division rivals. I hope I’m wrong.

@Everyone else: Jared Allen is a player that 20 years from now we’ll brag that he played in Viking purple. I wish we had a better secondary and linebacker core to support his efforts, it would be insane to think of the numbers he might put up.

53. By Arrow86 on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

@Nova:

Have a great trip to Bermuda. Keep giving us your humorous insights. Your belief in the Vikings shined through when you took the trip to Detroit last year to watch TJack lead the troops into battle against the G-men.

54. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Arrow….. I just got back from Bermuda on Sunday! I WISH is was going back!

55. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

* WISH I

56. By NovaScotiaVike on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

But thanks, Arrow 86.

57. By Woodboat on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Too bad Allen can’t go against Brett Favre to get his final sack to take the record. Maybe we can talk Rodgers into holding onto the ball and allowing Jared to grab him like Favre did for Strahan…. :p

I hope that Allen does get the record if only to make the mark legitimate again.

58. By Woodboat on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

@ dryes… Who are you to talk about whether or not Wobbs is adequate at his job? I’d guess that because he is cashing a paycheck signed by the Vikings organization and has been doing so for some time now, I’d have to say that he is quite adequate to those that matter. Pretty easy to take shots at a guy that gets paid to put a positive spin on a crummy season… Take your hate somewhere else, loser.

59. By Jackson on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

The top 3 needs for us: OL, WR, and DB. I have done some research and have found some pretty good picks for the upcoming draft for each, here goes:
    OL:
    #1.LT-Matt Khalil, USC
    #2.LT-Jonathan Martin, Stanford
    #3.LT-Riley Reiff, Iowa
    WR:
    #1. Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State
    #2. Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina
    #3. Michael Flloyd, Notre Dame
    DB:
    #1. Morris Claiborne, LSU
    #2. Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama
    #3. Janoris Jenkins, Florida
    My personal order of who i would like us to take is #1 Morris Claiborne, #2 Justin Blackmon, and #3 Matt Khalil. I think we could pick up a decent to good LT in Free agency instead of wasting a draft pick on one when we could get a stud corner or wide receiver.

60. By Dryes on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

I don’t hate any one Woodboat, I would never use my energy so poorly I do stand by my comments and there is nothing positive about trying to distort the facts, which are available via stats, game replay, and honest observation. Oh, and btw historically losers are delusional and spineless, which is now my view of your dysfunction. Even your arrogance to call me a loser for being real is no match for the blunders Mike W makes every day. You can’t bother me Woodbrain, I’m a man, not a boy in a man’s body such as yourself. Thanks for the banter, at least you have the b-a-l-l-s to speak, even if it was a display of sub-mental gibberish. :)

61. By Dryes on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

Woodboat is a great name because you’d need t a boat to stay afloat in this ocean of low standards and self-deception. A real man makes himself feel better with his own tools instead of needing delusion to accommodate his low self esteem, self loathing personality and propensity to lie to himself when the facts are less than spectacular. I prefer that the Wobblehead treat me like the man I am than the child you are. I hope the name-calling was worth it, hypocrite. Mind your own business or prepare to see your ugly reflection in the mirror of my insults.

62. By Joner on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

Why are so many people saying that we will go 8-8 or better. Looking at the schedule, i only see 3 more wins against Raiders, Broncos and Skins, maybe Chicago as we are at home. Raiders and Skins won’t be walkovers either. I hope we can win them all but it just won’t happen. The O-Line issue won’t be that bad if we had a top receiver to get open such as Blackmon or Jeffrey and at the same time the receivers would be able to get open more if Ponder had more time in the pocket because of someone like Kalil so we need to prioritise 1 of these positions and then draft a defensive back in the 2nd round as there is supposed to be good depth at the position. SKOL Vikings!

63. By Woodboat on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

Lol…
    Very well thought out stream of insults, Dryes. I bet those who know you are proud of your abilities. Your are pretty far off the mark in your commentary, however. If you’ve followed any of my posts, which I assume you haven’t because we other fans don’t matter at all and our stupidity amuses you, you most likely have the mental capacity to note that I’ve been pretty realistic about this team and its prospects from day one.

So… delusional, spineless, arrogant, hypocrite, low self esteem , self-loathing, propensity to lie to oneself, childish…I think thats the list. The mirror of your insults…. Know, if I were to play a psyciatrist, I’d ask you why you chose the phrase “mirror of your insults” after spouting such an extensive list. Sad, really…. is this really how you feel about yourself when you look in that mirror? I’m sorry, dude. I understand that there are people that can help you with issues such as these.

BTW, Wobbs is more of a columnist than a reporter. He’s not here to give a dry list of facts, he’s here to give his opinion about what’s going on with the team. Are his posts worthy of a Pulitzer Prize? No. It just seems pretty small to me to take out our frustrations about this teams lack of performance by attacking him personally. It doesn’t reflect well upon the person doing so.

I do feel sorry for calling you a loser, however. It’s out of character for me to throw around generalized defamatory comments, and for that, I apologize Dryes.

64. By sandiamond on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

@ Fred we could use a P/R and pass-defending linebacker. It’s possible Sherels could evolve with the skills needed to fulfill this very important position but we are not seeing this as of yet. Erin Henderson might wind up being the perfect nickel package LB but for now TE’s across the nfl are burning our group across the middle

65. By Woodboat on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

@ Joner… I got p@sted at the start of the year for posting that I hoped the Vikes were able to go 8-8 this year. Our team did nothing to improve our greatest weaknesses (O-Line and DBs), and got worse at QB with the signing of McNabb. I agree, we aren’t going to see 8-8 this year. I’m thinking the team finishes out the last 8 games 3-5.

I don’t agree that this teams desparate need is at WR, however. I don’t think Ponder has a big enough arm to fully utilize a deep threat receiver. Personally, I don’t believe one is necessary for a team to be successful. If the team had a line that could keep Ponders jersey clean consistantly, I think he has the accuracy to short p@ss his way into a great career.

No, spend the money on some top end DBs and O-Linemen. You can’t go wrong with a strong line.

66. By sandiamond on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

College WR’ s and DB’s. They are a number of potential draft prospects Currently_ returning kickoffs and returning punts during game action. I feel we should use their special teams tools as another important factor in deciding which college players to draft next year. Chances are the rookies will not see hardly any playing time next year so why not grab a PR/KR(from the wr or db draft list) that can help us from Game 1

67. By Jeffbleedspurple on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

News to make me sick : http://www.sctimes.com/article/20111102/NEWS01/111020010/Dayton-nixes-taxes-new-Vikings-stadium

I wish someone would just make up their minds and give an answer so I can start making myself accustomed to not having football on sundays or any day.

68. By Rogerthevikefan on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

Kalil(Best tackle) will go to the Rams in the top 3 picks. Martin(OVER-RATED) will go top 5 to the Cards. Riley Rieff 2nd best tackle should be around after the first 10 picks. Andrew Datko could fall to the 3 round and is the 3rd best tackle. For corner they should look at M. Claibourne LSU, Stephon Gilmore USCarolina, Janoris Jenkins N.Alabama, Jayron Hosley VTech, and Alfonzo Dennard Nebraska all could develop into Shut-Down corners. Dre Kirkpatrick Alabama is a college corner and will fail in the NFL unless he moves to Saftey.

69. By Rogerthevikefan on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

As for WR Blackmon and Jeffery are OVER-RATED. Yes they will be good pros but Michael Floyd is the best in this draft class. Mohamed Sanu Rutgers is just as good as Blackmon. Jeff Fuller Texas A&M and Juron Criner Arizona would give the same size and speed as Jeffery and should be around in the 2nd. This year teams have game planed for Floyd yet he still has done damage. The only knock on Floyd is the DUI(s) but Blackmon has one also.

70. By Rogerthevikefan on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

The DLine needs a young run stuffing DT that will eat two blockers therefore allowing Allen and Kev to put more pressure on the Qb. Maybe resign Pat and have him play 1st and 2nd down then have either Ballard or Griffin come in to add extra pressure. Best run stuffing DT in the draft is Brandon Thomson Clemson(1st-early 2nd round). Jared Crick Nebraska(2nd round because of injury), Kendall Reyes(3rd round), and Jerel Worthy(2nd round) are pretty decent.

71. By garrett1212 on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

Nice to see that cutting the mullet hasn’t affected JA’s playing ability. Dude hustles like no other. Keep up the work. Hopefully your attitude/hustle will rub off on the rest of the team.

72. By dave on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

Jared Allen could be the best pass rusher i’ve ever seen. i expect him to have around 105 career sacks by season’s end.

73. By Dryes on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

Woodboat, First let me clarify one thing, I was talking about the Packer fans that post their garbage all over this site. I was not talking about the other Vikes fans whether or not I agree with them. I’m guessing thats where some of your motivation to call me names came from? At any rate,I don’t need to be so insulting so I apologize for that. I do, however think that some of us Vikes fans are in a fog and I don’t like what I see from Mike that I believe serves to perpetuate some of the funk that seems to pervade here. I think that he is using fan’s acceptance of him to PUSH his opinions as universal truths. His wording shows that he is making incorrect statements in such a way that instead of owning his opinion, he words if as if it is a fact… which is not even backed up by facts. I may have gone a bit far in my rant of him, but if no one shows the need to level up and be real this site is going to continue to be a sludge of underachievement and it leaks into ( and from) the organization. All of us must be willing to improve ourselves constantly to be of mutual benefit to ourselves and those around us. I do think that Mike is supported if not required to write this slanted material, but maybe if he here’s some truth the organization will get a whiff of something other than their own as-ses:)

74. By Woodboat on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

@ Dryes

Thanks for the clarification, bro. I’m just tired of hearing people with unrealistic hopes for this team lash out in frustration when reality sets in and they realize that this just isn’t a very good team. I mistakenly took you for one such…sorry! There has been a steady stream of folks that were predicting a Superbowl for this team preseason that have gone off the deep end on this site. Those of us that didn’t have high hopes for the season (I was hoping for 8-8 from the beginning…) don’t really see the reason for folks flipping out. We were a bad team last year, and we did nothing but get worse in the off-season.

Personally, I sort of glance over what Wobs has to say. I tend to read what the other bloggers have to say more than listen to Mike :). He spins and a lot of what he has to say is propoganda which I ignore. “Bernard Berrian is ready for a break out season! McNabb is going to save the day! Now that Griffen is back, our DBs will be just fine!” Meh….

So I’ll end this ramble with a thanks for helping me clean up our misunderstanding. Looking forward to reading your (and others) posts, bud.

75. By Woodboat on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

I mispoke a bit in that last post. I said we did nothing but get worse, and that isn’t really true. I think the addition of Ponder and Rudolph should benefit this team for years to come. I was referring to the nearly complete denial this organization seems to exhibit in relation to the quality of our…. (wait, this is getting wordy…)

Our O-Line and DBs were bad last year and I think they’ve gotten worse. I can only hope that Spielman and Frazier have a plan to rectify the issues.

76. By Woodboat on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

Oh, and to stay on (what I think was) Wobs topic…. congrats to Allen on being selected as defensive player of the month!

77. By Dryes on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

Woodboat- Nice to hear from you man. I look forward to more enjoyable banter with you in the future:) I agree that it is unrealistic to talk superbowl with our current roster, new coaching staff and lockout. This team does have much potential though as long as everyone does their work, admits their weaknesses and adjusts to the conditions of reality ( I sometimes hate our zone defense). If the team makes some good moves this offseason we could be thinking superbowl next year. I hope this team maintains a winner mentality because the only way to assure oneself of failure is to give up. I LOVE JARED ALLEN. IF EVERYONE PLAYS LIKE HE AND PETERSON THIS TEAM HAS SUPERBOWL POTENTIAL WITH SOME KEY ADDITIONS NEXT YEAR. GOOO VIKES!

78. By Dryes on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

OH YEAH, WE NEED LOCAL, INVESTED OWNERSHIP!! AND A MPLS STADIUM PLEASE. THATS WHERE I RESPECT THE PACKERS. ALTHOUGH MPLS IS PROBABLY TOO LIBERAL FOR THAT IT WOULD PUT THE MONEY BACK INTO THE CITY AND THAT SOUNDS LIKE EXACTLY WHAT IT NEEDS.

79. By Dave on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

the best DE in the league by far… the Vikes defense is good just not in the secondary.. where is Brandon Burton our draft pick at CB from this year?.. but the D-line is not terrible… they just arent dominant like past yeears.. will be soon enough though…

80. By tennessee fan on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

hey purple gang! you have a great DE in JA….dont despise it. Ponder is the next piece to the puzzle. I just hope the organization builds around him quickly while the opportunity is available. An NFL QB dont come along everyday so dont waste the opportunity.

81. By скрутить on Jan 15, 2012 | Reply

I was recommended this blog through my cousin. I’m no longer positive whether this submit is written by means of him as nobody else recognize such distinct about my problem. You are wonderful! Thanks!