Frazier Made Right Call On 4th-Quarter Punt

Posted by Mike Wobschall on October 24, 2011 – 12:20 pm

Some have questioned the Vikings decision to punt the ball away when they were faced with a 4th and 10 situation on their own 36-yardline with 2:37 to play in the game and the Packers leading by 6 points. Those who do question that decision are wrong. Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier made the right call in punting, even though the outcome of the game went the wrong way.

The right decision in that instance is to punt the ball because that decision extends the game. Had the Vikings gone for it and missed, Green Bay is set up already in FG range. At that point, even if the Vikings defense holds Green Bay to zero yards on 3 consecutive plays, K Mason Crosby - who hit a 58-yarder earlier in the game – would come on to try a FG that would put the visitors up by 10 9 with around 2 minutes to go. Game over. And even if the Vikings convert that 4th and 10, they have a fresh set of downs, but still another 50+ yards to go for the go-ahead score.

Armed with 3 timeouts and the 2-minute warning, the right move is to punt because A) it put Green Bay deep in their own territory, B) it puts Green Bay in an all-run mode for playcalling so they can force the Vikings to use their timeouts and C) it could eventually create even better field position for the Vikings on their next drive if they force the Packers to punt after 3 plays.

As it turned out, the Vikings defense was unable to stop the Packers running game after punting. But prior to Green Bay running out the clock, the Vikings defense had held Green Bay’s offense to just 19 yards and 1 first down on the previous 7 plays, and the Vikings defense had also allowed just 59 rushing yards all game.

Frazier discussed the decision to punt while meeting with reporters on Monday afternoon.

“Not really,” Frazier said when asked if he was apprehensive about his decision to punt. “Not when I knew what the situation was with the clock and the belief I had in our run defense and the timeouts that we had and the two-minute (warning). I just thought it was a perfect storm for us. We had a chance to even get the ball back with plenty of time with better field position than what we started with the drive before. So no, I fully believe that it was the right thing to do at the time.”

And Frazier is right. Punting was the right decision because it ensured that the Vikings would remain alive. Going for it and not making it would’ve ended the game on the spot.

Tags:

115 Responses to “Frazier Made Right Call On 4th-Quarter Punt”

1. By GM on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

I love the way Ponder layed out Woodson after the int.

2. By deer tracks on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

OK, Mike, baby…What happened to the comment I just sent? Don’t tell me YOU are into this censor B-ullS..it either that, or you have a thin skin. like some other cowardly “writers”…Which is it?

3. By Bigfan1 on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

He made the only call, a no brainer. Offense wasn’t moving it one more try and it’s over versus possible defensive stop and another shot.

4. By Mike Wobschall on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

We can’t post those videos on the site. Please refrain from doing that in the future.

5. By 13 Time World Champs on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Yes sir- I wouldnt want to re-live that either.

6. By steven on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

ponder is very good tho
    now they need to improve the secondary

7. By Geiber on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Did Camarillo earn a starting spot after his final drive performance, come on Camarillo can catch the ball! Who cares if he is not fast and can’t make big plays after the ball is caught, Camarillo can catch the ball, he doesn’t get the creit he deserves because he doesn’t have many big plays (except his butt catch ha ha). Please start playing him, I know we have 2 other great TE but put him in at slot or something, where was Rudolph against the pack?

And why did we not once try and run the ball on our final drive? A.P. was having a good day so why did we decide not to even try and run it, try a screen or something, at least instead of the what seemed to be the same play over and over.

8. By Geiber on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Now you _____________ people see why Ponder was a good pick, his accuracy on play action was incredible, his 2 ints. were bad reads but who cares for his first start AGAINST GREEN BAY he did perfect, heck Mcnabb would have only had 192 yds and 2 int. 1 t.d.

9. By Viking Joe on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

That’s debatable about the punt, no punt situation, 4th and 10 around midfield with over 5 minutes left, probably punting was the best decision, though I can’t for the life of me understand giving up those 2 first downs rushing, when the Vikings held them in check earlier in the game and knew they were going to run the ball.

10. By Parody on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Those who do question that decision are wrong.

This coming from a person who fails in his attempts at performing basic math:

With the score at 33-27;
    K Mason Crosby – who hit a 58-yarder earlier in the game – would come on to try a FG that would put the visitors up by 10

I’m not sure whether Mike thought that the final score was different, that 33+3=37, 36-27=10, or that a field goal is worth 4-points after the 2-minute warning, but in all instances this makes the first quote I posted look extremely bone-headed.

Yes, I agree that punting was the right choice, but I’m not about to go ranting about how any other opinion is wrong while allowing myself to make such a blunder. It’s one thing to represent the team, and quite another to go attacking the opinions of fans while making mistakes of such ignorance.

11. By Viking Joe on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Ponder definetly is the real deal, now I realize he will have growing pains, but he looked pretty impressive for the most part.

12. By Shawn on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

YES HE DID !!!!!! :)

13. By TRO on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

I felt it was not the right call for a variety of reasons. 1. We did NOT really stop their offense for most of the day (they stopped themselves 3 times). 2. We had momentum and the Metrodome was finally making noise for the Vikings instead of Packer crowd support. 3. The play calls before the fourth and 10 were very skeptical. At 2nd and 10, 3rd and 10 they should have called an AP screen or draw. Something to make the game manageable would have been smart. 4. Punting and using up all of our timeouts and letting them run rough shot over us was futile! 5. Being 1-5 you have to be more aggressive! 6. You ever notice if AP gets more than 10 touches were in every game? Think about it coach!

14. By Shawn on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

I am referring to Frazier …. HE MADE THE RIGHT CALL !!!!!!!!!!!

HE MADE THE ONLY CALL !!!!!! ITS A NO BRAINER !!!!!!!!!!!

15. By Shawn on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Did anyone watch the presser? It looks and sounds like Frazier is coming out of his she’ll. I now know he knows whats going on and it makes me feel good about his leadership.

In Frazier we trust.

Did anyone else see it? Or am I crazy ? Shuddup :)

16. By Shawn on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

@Mike Wobs …. what videos?

17. By Mike Wobschall on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for the catch on my math. Private schools, sheesh.

18. By Parody on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Shawn – He’s deleting videos. You might have had a chance to see the first one I posted, before Mike decided to hide the cheap shot that Robison took.

19. By Vikes69 on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Parody– you’re an idiot. I hardly think he’s trying to ‘hide’ Robison’s kicking Lang when it is all over the internet. Get real. And picking out one simple human error of math shows you have nothing of real value to say about the article. Move on.

20. By Shawn on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

lol yea Parody … I thought it was funny because Robison didnt give up a first down or hurt us really. Just caused a kick off to go out of the endzone…

21. By Parody on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Okay Vikes69 – Show me your intelligence then, and describe why you think that video was deleted, and likely will be deleted again.

22. By GM on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

YOU can help stop internet bullying.

23. By GM on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

…and forest fires.

24. By Parody on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Further, I wasn’t trying to add anything to the article. I was calling Mike out for making a statement similar to “anyone who doesn’t think the way I do is wrong.” I used the error to drive the point home. Professional writers need to hold themselves to higher standards than the average blogger.

25. By Fred Swenson on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Agree on the punt call; it was the lesser of two evils. What killed us was that the D just couldn’t come up with the stops on the running plays that followed. However; I do take exception to Frazier’s decision to call our last time-out with 2:05 on the clock, 5 seconds from the two minute warning. It seemed like a waste of a time out that, if things had gone a little different on the next couple of plays, like a turnover or tackles for big losses delivering a significant improvement in field position, could have given us a chance, albeit a slim one, of pulling it out. In the end, it didn’t matter because the ensuing GB gains on the ground iced the game, but I’m a little disappointed with Frazier’s thinking on this.

26. By GM on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Vote for Ponder for play of the week.

27. By Vikes69 on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

If you read Mike’s reply to you about the videos, it explains it all.

By Mike Wobschall on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

28. By DRS on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Dayton said that in a meeting Wednesday with Vikings owner Zygi Wilf and other team officials “they indicated that they understood the necessity of the team assuming the responsibility and the risks” for the time delays and cost overruns, but it will need to be in writing.

Dayton also met Wednesday with developers seeking to open a casino in Block E in downtown Minneapolis. And, he said he has also met with backers of a “racino” plan to allow slot machines at horse tracks. Revenue from both projects has been discussed as a source of funds for a stadium.

29. By DRS on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

How about a casino at the vikings new stadium?

30. By DRS on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

9 games then what? Here is to at least one more win.

31. By DRS on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

later.

32. By Canadian Vikes Fan on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

I couldn’t disagree more that it was the right call. Maybe if the Vikings were a better team it would have been the right call, but the fact is their 1-5 anyways and not making the playoffs this year, so what do you have to lose? You punt the ball back to the Packers who have the best offence in the game expecting them to go 3 and out again? Even if we did shut them down we have to drive the length of the field again with under 2 minutes and no timeouts, and you think that is a better chance to score then almost at midfield with all 3 timeouts? Get real people, this was such a soft call by Frazier, Vikings have nothing to lose anyways give the kid a chance to make a play. I knew the second he punted it away the game was over anyways as I knew they wouldn’t get the ball back after that.

33. By VegasVike on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

In that situation one must ask himself… WWFD?
    (what would Favre do) 

34. By VegasVike on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

I agree with the Canada! He should of let CP go for it for Viking Pride sake. Win or go down in flames WWFD

35. By Parody on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Vikes69 – Is that all you have? Arguably, that reply confirms my argument. They have refrained from deleting many videos from these blogs. So you need to look deeper to understand what “those videos” are. Contrary to your argument, Mike was not replying to me with that comment and I never saw the videos that he was referring to in that post. So it really explains nothing. “Those videos” could have been off topic, infringing on copyright, or even pòrnographic. We’ll never know because they’re gone now. But I would be willing to bet that they are of the same nature of the ones I posted.

36. By Arnie Kuhn on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

No matter how they dress it up, it’s still a pig. It was a terrible call!

37. By Justin F on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Funny DRS is the only guy talking about the Stadium, and everyone else is talking about the roster problems.

38. By Viking33 on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Hindsight is 20/40 at best. I was hoping for a hand off to AP on 2nd or 3rd down that series to try and get it to a shorter distance at least. I bet we go for it ( Yes, Crosby and all ) if it 4th and 5 or shorter. Still a lot of time left on the clock to abandon the run in that situation, especially given the way we ran it yesterday. All things considered though – I loved the game, just not the outcome.

39. By DontThinkSo on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Mr. Wobschall:

YOU are wrong in your analysis. If you actually account for the history of the game, the competence of the teams, the time remaining, and the laws of probability, etc., at best Frazier’s decision was equal to the alternative. It was definitely not better!!! How could you even arrive at that diagnosis? I called the decision wrong from the get go and knew for SURE the Vikings had lost with that strategy. It may have been a loss the other way, but it gave the Vikings a better chance of at least attempting a win. The TD would have tied them up! For a professional sports writer, you sure have a poor analysis of the situation; glad you aren’t leading our troops, they would all be dead. You might as well have asked NASA to land on the moon in the next week; for your “strategy” to play out, all the stars in the Milky Way would have had to align. Thanks for playing, but try again when you can actually write a competent analysis.

40. By Viking33 on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Although, that being said I would rather our Offense face their Defense than our Defense face their Offense – thats not a knock on our Defense, they do have a really really really good Offense( as painful as it is to say ) – So I don’t know how fair it is to our Defense that they were even put in that situation, seems like kind of a cop out to lay at their feet that way. You would have found out more about your QB in that situation, than you did in the entire game. Even if he didn’t make it, he would have been better for trying. I am glad we don’t have Tebow though!!! ;)

41. By koolie on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

why do we not punt to the coffin corner instead to the 20 yard line?

42. By PurpleNation on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Coach Frasier’s presser:

Q: So Joe Berger will be right guard?

A: It could be Fusco.

Is it just me or is the coaching finally starting to get things together?! ^

43. By GM on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Now if Mike W. would so kindly remove the curse of the TAG CLOUD.

THEN, the new era begins…winning games, new stadium. Imagine the possibilities with the absence of the cursed and obsolete TAG CLOUD.

44. By Roland on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

It was the wrong decision, it was a win or lose situation either way. The Vikings did a horrible job slowing the Packers offense the whole game. I don’t care if they stopped Rodgers on the last drive, you take a chance on offense before you give him who is probably the best QB in the league another chance. If Ponder fails the defense still has a chance to get a sack or make a play on the ball. Poor decision.

45. By NJVikingFan on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

I can see why a lot of fans wanted to go for it on 4th. But I didn’t have a major problem with the punt call in that situation. Based on the lame play selection for the previous 3 plays (Musgrave, c’mon man!), it wasn’t like the Vikings were committed to 4 down territory from the start. A short throw for 5-6 yds over the middle on 2nd or 3rd would have made the decision to go for it on 4th a lot more interesting. But they had nothing going on that drive. It’s unfortunate that the defense couldn’t step up and stay disciplined for one more set of downs to give Ponder another chance..oh well, let’s see who shows up on D against Newton and Smith next week..can we get Doleman to suit up? GO VIKES!

46. By GM on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

2011 Packers average yards per game = 423.3
    2011 Packers yards vs. Vikings = 421

47. By Titus on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

WOW– YOWZER MIKE W. You are showing immaturity. Earlier a few postings on another blog, including myself questioned your stand that punting on 4th down was the only option and would be done every time, 10 out of 10 times. Now, in response, you create a whole blog on it– and declare— everyone who thinks other than you is WRONG. Wow, way to encourage free participation of thought.

48. By chris on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

frazer is an idiot it. we should have went with it on 4th we were only down by three and had the chance to come back n put up a td. instead we handed them the opportunity to run the clock out and win the game. ponder definatly could have converted, and it was a win lose situation anyway. when you have only won one game the season is pretty much over and all playoff and superbowl chances r over with so the right call is to go with it. i think they should start burton and raymond have to offer start those guys. we have nothing to lose and obviously cedric griffin and our secondary are pretty bad.

49. By kevin on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

C’mon man..Frazier made a bs call because frazier should have gave the rookie his chance. either way ponder looked good, if he didn’t make the first down, he still a great player and if he did make the first down, he still a great player. frazier didnt give him a chance..c’mon man…typical vikings game.

50. By Titus on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Bill Belichick would have gone for it, that I know for sure.

51. By CanadianVF on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

@ viking 33 Maybe you are glad we do not have Tim Tebow, but the last time I checked he led his team to victory in his first start yesterday.

52. By CanadianVF on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Yet another example of our coaching problems. Still haven’t forgiven him for going on 4th and one in the Detroit game, instead of kicking the field goal and taking the points.

53. By mikevike on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

so all u dead heads think punting and throwing our last chance away was the right choice, I guess it was if u wanted to lose the game cause thats what happened

54. By Mike B. on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

@all the doubters In this situation Frazier was right. It was just under 3 min in the game left. We were way on the wrong side of the 50 yrd line. We don’t make the play GB would attempt the Field Goal turn out the lights assuming we stop them at that 36yrd line. In all things you need to make the smart move. Frazier did that a choose to let his Defense attempt to stop GB deep on their side of the 50yrd line. It didn’t happen that way, game over. It is no worse than what happened if we went for it. You play the game the same no matter of your record. I can’t say that for all the coaches decisions but this one I do. Good Job Mike W for posting this even if your math is a bit in question.

55. By Mike B. on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

BTW I would like Vikings dot com to post the fans reaction as Ponder went in for the first time. Since SDak is not in the direct Minneapolis market, they finished the game before starting the Vikings Game. I taped it just to see that very first step on the field and Fox didn’t have it on. I would be very grateful if Mike W. would post that for all of us fans that got short changed. Thank You

56. By Kody Wiig on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

C Mon guys can we look at how awesome CP played and nobody slows down the pack this year I didn’t like the call but I would rather seen us run the ball the final drive Ap had 175 on the ground and we never lean on him in the clutch kinda getting old. But I am so freakin pumped for Ponder we need some other pieces but he is key. GO VIKES!

57. By Twoodsnvikes on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Loser’s mentality to punt, play to WIN THE GAME, can you imagine what the team and Ponder would have felt if he converted on 4th down marched down the field and scored and we won by one point???????? No instead we’ll punt and pray we can stop GB which we didn’t do all day, yeah great idea….

58. By Carl K on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

It has been a while since I lasted posted… I guess I just can’t keep my nose out of a good debate.

At first I didn’t like the call. The idea of giving the ball back to Aaron Rogers just to prolong the inevitable, was disheartening.

But with 3 time outs and the 2 minute warning to work with, I am ok with the call. Neither going for it on 4th down or punting the ball was going to win the game for us. We needed more plays after that to win the game regardless of the call.

What bothers me, is that our defense couldn’t stop the run. Over the last few years our run D has been our strongest area. What happened? Did our team check out after Frazier made the “right” but gutless call to punt? That play or call in itself doesn’t bother me… but what happened after the call has me concerned. Too many players are just checking out and going through the motions. Frazier is supposed to be a players coach, but I don’t see many players putting it all on the line for this coach (with the exception of Peterson, Ponder and J Allen).

The “call” really didn’t win or lose the game. But the mind set that a “good call” needs to be defended or that some of the players gave up after that “call” has me really questioning what is going on with the Vikings.

I did not see the typical run stopping D that has been such a trademark for a Frazier coached D.

I want to see players that what to play(for 60 minutes)! Players that want to win! Players that want to stay out of trouble! Players that want to go to meeting! Players that want to practice!

I am not seeing those things… WHY?

59. By Mike B. on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

@Twoodsnvikings When you decide a game on a call you have to go with what the percentages tell you. Not your gut. We could have lost just as well if we went for it on Fourth and 10 and got an incomplete pass. Depends on how you look at it. You need to look at the percentages and at your 36 with a 4th and 10 and over 2 min and 3 time outs you punt. It’s really a no brainer. When you get in that situation you are trying to beat the percentages anyway. Chances are you loose the game even if you stop them and they punt. You end up coming up short.

60. By Nicholas on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

There is no right or wrong in this situation. There is risk involved in whichever scenario you take. I would have named this blog, “Punting on 4th down wasn’t necessarily right or wrong.”

61. By Twoodsnvikes on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Percentages are stupid, you need to look at how the GAME IS GOING. We can’t stop their offense whatsoever and your going to give them the ball back???? Bad coaching. Averages are stupid, they don’t tell you anything, did he look at the percentages at what the odds are of the 29th ranked pass offense versus the number one ranked pass offense is of stopping them in the 3 minute situation???? No I’m sure not. Just a stupid idea.

62. By Mike B. on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

@Carl K great post Kevin Willams has not been happy in his position without Pat next to him. He’s made that clear. The guy from NO is no Pat Williams, so they are doubling Kevin and making some holes. Kevin goes to help out the new guy and they come though Kevin’s spot. I have said all along if the Vikings are a quality organization, they should bring Pat back for this last year. He’s good enough for 2 running downs and they can’t double so much on Kevin. Bring back the William’s wall now.

63. By Twoodsnvikes on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

29th pass defense*

64. By Mike B. on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

@Twoodsnvikes that’s how you see it some would definately think the same if they did go for it and didn’t make it. Then that becomes a stupid idea. Two sides of a coin. You see one side and others see the other. You then go with what the percentages tell you.

65. By Twoodsnvikes on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

I would say “I’m glad they went for it because I know they had no chance if they gave them the ball back, good try” if they went for it and didn’t make it

66. By Mike B. on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

also it appeared that the defense did stop Rodgers enough to get within 6 points of the defending Super Bowl champs that are sitting at 7-0. We are not playing the Chiefs we are playing the class of the field. I say considering how badly we have played up to this game we did pretty well.

67. By Twoodsnvikes on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

I didn’t know leaving Jennings 40 yards open was stopping them, or letting him complete 90 percent of their pa sses was stopping them. Our OFFENSE played well and kept us in it, our DEFENSE played terrible, and that’s who we left the game up to to win the game….??????

68. By Titus on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

It’s a difficult call– but if we knew we could not stop their offense– and we had one or zero time outs at that point, what do we do by punting with 2 minutes left? We give away our only shot. So, really the argument that we do not want to give them the ball on downs because they could score is moot. If we give them the ball anywhere on the field, they will complete first downs and run out the clock. Forget averages, each scenario is unique. We were moving the ball well– we should have taken a chance– not like we are playing for home field through the playoffs.

69. By Titus on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

And we can all have our viewpoints. What I take issue with is the way Mike W. hammers his way or the highway. Mike, you are a nice kid, but live a while. When you were in diapers, I already had been around the block a few times.

70. By Mike B. on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Why didn’t they trounce on us by scoring 60 points on us. If our defense is that bad and GB has the pass game to do it that would be simple enough. The facts are the defense was able to get after Rodgers enough to keep the game close enough to let the Offense get back to within 6. A coach would see that and give the Defense another chance to give the ball back in a better place. You got to look at both sides and give the Coach his due.

71. By Mike B. on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

@Titus I have been around the block and back and hit sands of Iraq on the way seen Vikings football when no one want to watch it. I think Frazier was right on this one call. Plenty of other places to see fault, but I really think in this situation the punt is the best choice at actually try and ocme back.

72. By Mike B. on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

I also think that Mike W was doing us all a favor in posting this blog article. It’s obvious it’s a point of interest in the game. Everyone will be talking about it and analyze it this way and that way. I think Mike W did us a favor and shows there are two sides here and the Go For It side isn’t the only one with a Voice.

73. By Mike B. on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

I really like to know the call that Coach Frazier is going to make tomorrow about Benard Berrian. Obviously Berrian is not focusing on the team or he would have been playing Sunday. Being a top notch WR and focus on the game is the only thing BB should be thinking about. Anything else he needs to hit the road.

74. By Titus on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Mike B– I agree with you, just playing the counterargument– I do that for a living. So, let me add that Mike W. had a strong demeaning tone to his post that any other viewpoint than vikings.com was wrong. It started in an earlier blog where Mike argued with a couple posters.

75. By Mike B. on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

@Titus Mike W is a fan just like us and I think at times that emotion can show up. I actually like it when he shows us his perspective. I wish they still had the vids of him and Paul Allen just talking about what’s going on with the team.

76. By Titus on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Okay.

77. By Sneeze4 on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Punting the ball was the play that the “book” called for, but going for it was the call that should have been made. For 2 years we have NEVER stopped a team from scoring when it counted…..yesterday was more of the same.
    I’m tired of coaches always playing by the “book”. We are so vanilla and we never take ANY chances. When was the last time we ran a fake punt or FG? When you don’t have the talent (except for AP) to match up with other teams, you have to be creative and think outside the box. Look what Miami did a couple years ago with the Wildcat….not much talent on that roster and made the playoffs.
    What I’m seeing with Frazier is more of what I saw with Chilly. Your chart calls for this play, you run this play. Out smart and out think the other team. That is coaching. I’m willing to give Frazier time, but my patience is running out. I am willing to bet we will be looking for a new coach in a year and a half. I just hope this time we can hire a coach with an imagination and a “set” willing to take a few chances.

78. By PAUL M. on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

THIS SEASON IS TOAST & THE FUTURE IS NOW! SO WHERE IS KYLE RUDOLF? COME ON NOW!

Even though it would be nice if Visanthe stays with us for a few more seasons (is he worth that kind of contract, at his age & with his injuries?), I WANT TO SEE THE PONDER / RUDOLF ERA BEGIN! I WANT MUSGRAVE TO CREATIVELY WORK THE KID INTO THE OFFENSE — AND I DON’T MEAN AS JUST A BLOCKER!

THE KID IS DANGEROUS TO DEFENSIVE LB’s & CB’s — HE’S FASTER THAN SHANCOE & HE’S GOT GREAT HANDS! AT 6’6″, RUDOLF CAN OFFICIALLY BE SCOUTED IN THE “BEAST” CATEGORY BY OUR OPPONENTS.

79. By Cheeseheads Unite on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Twoodsnvike is right. Loser call. Just like your whole team. Losers!!! Just like you guys. Losers!!!

80. By Cheeseheads Unite on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Oh, and has anyone seen Josh?? He said to be here last night after the game. I was here, but he never showed. What’s the matter? At least be a man and be here even though your team lost.

81. By CA_Viking_fan on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Punting is the right call to make for normal teams, but to count on the Vikings to make a late 4th quarter defensive stop is like asking for a miracle. It’s just not going to happen. I respectfully disagree with the punt call only because I have seen too many meltdowns by the defense and see the team lose by FG or TD when the D was counted on for a 4th quarter stop like what was asked of them yesterday. Can anyone remember when was the last time they delivered a stop in late 4th qtr to win?

82. By PAUL M. on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

@ Cheesheads Unite

I wouldn’t be calling other people’s characters into question, if I was a Green Bay fan.

Wasn’t it your team that unceremoniously performed an anal purge of one of the NFL’s greatest QB’s EVER? AND HE CAME BACK TO PROVE THAT HE WAS STILL A CHAMPIONSHIP CALIPER QB!!

83. By Titus on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Caliber Paul. Caliper is an instrument such as for measuring body fat.

84. By Twoodsnvikes on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

To all those that wanted to keep the stadium in Minneapolis:

85. By CanadianVF on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

@Sneeze4, I like your thinking. We should not be surprised that it is more of the same. When Childress was let go, they had an opportunity to make a clean break and bring someone new with a new perspective. But we didn’t, by promoting Frazier we just continued the problems and we are getting the same results. This zone defense we play is driving me crazy, when are we going to fix this? Is it the talent or the coaching? That Jennings td at the start of the second half was in my opinion the turining point of the game. The play calling on that last drive was not good and then not going for it sent a message to the team. I think thats why we folded up trying to stop them at the end. The players gave up, just like they did in Chicago. When that happens the coaches are losing the room and are starting to get tuned out. You are probably right that we will be looking for a new coach in a year or so. I sometimes think if we really want to have a team that we can be proud of year after year maybe we need to stop handing out so much money to the players and instead spend some money on a proven quality coaching staff.

86. By Twoodsnvikes on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

It’s like we didn’t want to let another good coach go like oh I don’t know… Tony Dungy… Brian Billick…Mike Tomlin… I think we picked the wrong one, we’ll see though only time will tell..

87. By Canadian Vikes Fan on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Mike B, you’re right that the Vikings did stop them a couple of times in the 4th Quarter, but they’re the Superbowl champs, you cannot give them another chance with the ball in that situation. So we go for it on 4th and 10 and don’t get it and we lose, fine, this team is rebuilding anyways. I would much rather that then watching the cheese run out the last 2 and a half minutes with our hot upstart QB watching from the sidelines. Maybe we convert that 4th down, and drive the rest of the way and score and win the game 34-33. You just never know if you don’t give your players a chance to make plays. Frazier just doesn’t have the killer instinct that you need to be a good NFL coach

88. By PAUL M. on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

I WAS INSULTED that the ref that really gave it to the Vikings during the NFC Championship game against the Saints, PETER MARINELLI, WAS ALLOWED BACK INTO THE METRODOME FOR SUNDAY’S GAME! SHOULD’VE B-O-O-O-ED THE HECK OUT OF HIM! BY THE WAY, I’M PRETTY SURE HE CHANGED HIS NAME TO PETE MORELLI.

REWIND <<< 1st PLAY OF THE 2nd HALF: LONGWELL KICKED OFF AND N. ORLEANS RETURNED 61 YDS. TO OUR 37. MARINELLI — OR MORELLI — PICKED UP THE FLAG FOR A BLOCK IN THE BACK ON HEATH FARWELL ON THE 15 YD LINE!

SINCE THE PENALTY WOULD'VE BEEN 1/2 DISTANCE TO THE GOAL LINE — WE LOST 68 YARDS ON ONE PLAY!!!

CURIOUSLY, NFL FILMS HAS DELETED THE VIDEO LINK TO THAT PLAY? I'D LIKE TO READ THE NAME ON THE REF'S BACK. DID HE CHANGE IT?

89. By NJVikingFan on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

C’mon guys..the game is over and in the past. Forget about the punt. We had a chance to stop them with 3 time-outs left and the defense was just not up to the task. Case closed. Time for all of us to move on to next week and Carolina. Let’s see if the coaches and the D can manage to have a game vs Cam Newton like they played against Mike Vick last year in Philly. Odds aren’t in our favor based on how the D has played this year, but I’m gonna sit down and watch AP and CP do their thing. And it will be fun..Go Vikes!

90. By Animal26 on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

no disrespect Mike W. but I think your wrong, in thinking that Frazier’s decision of punting it was right. The Vikings were 1-5 in this game, and had no chance of making the playoffs. there really was nothing to lose if the Vikings would have gone for it. another good thing that would have come out of the Vikings going for it, would have been more experience on 4th down conversions for Ponder. The Vikings are now starting a rebuilding phase and looking to the future.

91. By Titus on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Yes, right or wrong, I do not appreciate Mike W.’ s attitude.

92. By Arrow86 on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

@Shawn: Mentioning the phrase “No brainer” in the same sentence as Frazier is accurate. You know, Vince Lombardi once said, “You show me somebody who is a good loser, and I’ll show you a loser.” That was quite an accomplishment to lose close. That’s what all the great franchises do. Lose close??? Stick a fork in us, we’re done. So from here on out go guns blazin’ and I’d rather have 1 play with the ball than the thought of stopping the Super Bowl Champs. Ponder is the real deal. Now O-linemen and secondary. A new front office and a real head coach. I don’t ask for much…

93. By GM on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

No one makes you come here and read it. Like it or not, he has the job and you don’t. His blogs are more active than most so I say he’s doing good.

94. By Titus on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

That is an ignorant statement ripe with assumptions.

95. By Arrow86 on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

It is a quarterback driven league. Look at the Colts without Manning. Dallas is as good or bad as Romo is. Look at the teams that are 1-5, 2-4, and 0-6. They have inconsistent or injured QB’s, and porous O-lines. Buffalo has an O-line and Fitzpatrick looks like Joe Montana with a beard. Ponder is our guy, but when will we get him a line?????

96. By Titus on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

I agree Ponder looks like the real deal. I am excited– in a year or two, we should have one of the best QBs in the league.

97. By Titus on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

I will have moved by then, but always a Vikings fan.

98. By Arrow86 on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

@Spielman and Frazier:

When you quit riding unicorns and chasing candy rainbows about how we ALMOST beat the Super Bowl Champs. We ALMOST beat the Chargers in the opener after leading by 10 and forgetting AP in the second half. We ALMOST beat the Lions up 20 at half. We ALMOST beat the Chiefs. We ALMOST beat Tampa. Your morale victories are adding up while the scoreboard is kicking your butt!

99. By Titus on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

I think you meant moral, not morale.

100. By VegasVike on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

That’s the Titus I’ve come to know, never cheep

101. By VegasVike on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

We could have always taken a knee…

102. By Phil on Oct 25, 2011 | Reply

It was the right call by the way – no way you let the game come down to one 4th and ten play when the Packers hadn’t done anything on offense all quarter. But at least this discussion is better than the one we could be having in regard to Robison kicking a Packer in the groin on National TV – classy!

103. By Cheeseheads Unite on Oct 25, 2011 | Reply

We got rid of the old and brought in the new. Didn’t that legendary QB choke in the championship game for the vikes?? Didn’t that fantastic QB come back the next year and fail? Then didn’t you get McScabb just to watch him sit? Ya, you guys are headin’ in the right direction. Finally. Isn’t just like a viking to kick somone in the nuts cause things aren’t goin their way? Babies. Things aren’t goin’ right so you start kickin’ and screamin’. Well, with class like that I’m sure the vikings are goin’ places. Like LA, or whoever needs a football team. Yep, really goin’ places. Except the Superbowl. Classy!!! :-)

104. By Dryes on Oct 25, 2011 | Reply

Nice post Twoodvikes! that story gives me a little hope. Wilf is just trying to buy cheap to sell high in the future, not thinking the state of MN. We need LOCAL OWNERSHIP who cares about the state of MN! The packer have got it right because the city owns the team and does a great job representing the fans. Enough of the transplant owners who are just trying to make a buck without being a part of the community.

105. By Frank Chiappetta on Oct 25, 2011 | Reply

THAT WAS A TERRIBLE CALL TO PUNT THE BALL ON 4TH AND 10 WITH 2 MINUTES TO GO – PONDER COULD HAVE RUN THE BALL OR THROWN A SHORT OUT PATTERN TO TIGHT END – JUST GOES TO SHORT THE LACK OF COACHING EXPERIENCE AT THE NFL LEVEL BY LESLIE FRAZIER – I CAN’T WAIT UNTIL THEY FIRE THIS GUY AND BRING IN SOMEONE THE PLAYERS RESPECT AND FEAR WITH A WINNING TRACK RECORD.IT’S OBVIOUS THAT THIS TEAM IS NOT RESPONDING TO LESLIE FRAZIER AND HAVE THROWN IN THE TOWEL ON THIS SEASON. THANK GOD WE FINALLY HAVE A YOUNG QUARTERBACK FOR THE FUTURE, NOW WE JUST NEED A SOLID #1 PICK ON DEFENSE IN NEXT YEARS DRAFT. Frank C.,South Florida

106. By Arrow86 on Oct 25, 2011 | Reply

How anyone can call it even a remotely good call is baffling. You either control your destiny, or you let others determine your fate. VegasVike may have been right, we could’ve taken a knee and reflect the fight of our head coach!

107. By Woodboat on Oct 25, 2011 | Reply

The right decision, Mike, was to decide you were in four down territory when you had were on first down. The team had 5+ minutes left with all their timeouts…. something Ponder could handle. IF the defense held, the team would have to go the length of the field in under 3 minutes with no timeouts…. asking a lot from a rookie in his first start.

The team needed to consider 3rd downs like another 2nd down, if you get my drift. On that last 3rd, for example, the defense was giving them anything short…. take it and get close to the yardage you need for a first at least. THEN you can go for it on 4th and short. The mistake the coaches made was being wishy washy from the outset. Bad coaching decision.

108. By VegasVike on Oct 25, 2011 | Reply

I dint know how anyone can state that was the right call. If they would have went for it and got the first down then that would have been the right call, right? That was the right call to almost guaranty a loss. If we would have gone for it and made it, score or not it would have been the right call. If we would of gone for it and NOT made it, that would be the wrong call. But you can’t rewind the clock and try the other option can you? So we’ll never know if it was the right call right? Dribble

109. By Brad on Oct 25, 2011 | Reply

BB IS GONE!!!!!

110. By 13 Time World Champs on Oct 25, 2011 | Reply

Whether the punt decision was right or wrong doesn’t matter- the main fact is that you played your “superbowl” Sunday and could not beat the Packers.

Your season is over, AP is another year older and no closer to a real Super Bowl; what a waste of a superstar running back.
    Viking fans now have to look at the team and realize you are the worst in the NFC north. Enjoy the rest of the season.

Skol Vikes!

111. By VegasVike on Oct 25, 2011 | Reply

13 time world chumps

112. By viikings4life on Oct 25, 2011 | Reply

i think frazier made the right call, and if our D could have held them off we had a good chance to tie it up. Ponder made an excellent start against the PACKERS but had some rough spots. We are moving in the right direction by putting berrian on waiver now we just need a veteran reciever and draft a new D since we are obviously going to get a great draft pick.

113. By viikings4life on Oct 25, 2011 | Reply

AND TO 13 TIME WORLD CHAMPS. Your the one who came to vikings.com and then you slander our team? REAL MATURE. worst team in the NFC north? HAH! maybe this year BUT 2 YEARS AGO I REMEMBER TRUMPING EVERYONE IN THE NFC NORTH…

114. By 13 Time World Champs on Oct 25, 2011 | Reply

….then failing in the NFC championship game.

115. By Cheeseheads Unite on Oct 25, 2011 | Reply

Come on man, that was two years ago. Move on. That’s all you guys have to comeback with is the year Favre ALMOST got you to the Superbowl. Didn’t he fail you guys or what? Now you know why we got rid of him. Now your team has been reduced to nothing. Another washed up QB on the bench and some guy you think will take you back to the glory days. You guys thought Tavaris Jackson was the next thing after Favre. Now it’s Ponder. When he fails what other washed QB are you gonna run after? :-)