Submit Your Monday Morning Mailbag Question

Posted by Mike Wobschall on October 23, 2011 – 5:40 pm

Rookie QB Christian Ponder made his first NFL start and he did it against the defending and undefeated Super Bowl champions. On top of that, the Vikings had a 17-10 halftime lead, lost it in the 3rd quarter, and then made a dramatic 4th-quarter run that fell just short.

You must have questions and comments. Good thing the Monday Morning Mailbag will be in its usual spot this week.

To submit a comment or question, send an email to me at wobschallm@vikings.nfl.net. You can also submit your comment or question in the comments section below this entry.

Remember to include your name and town on the comment/email. We can’t post every comment/question, but we’ll try to answer each question.

Tags:

42 Responses to “Submit Your Monday Morning Mailbag Question”

1. By Parody on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

I’m sure that Mike won’t be able to answer this so early, but I’m wondering what the extent of Chris Cook’s crime is and how long we should expect to be without him. Even if he doesn’t get charged with a crime (I heard on the radio that the woman involved isn’t pressing charges) I expect that the NFL will still impose a suspension. So how long should we expect that suspension to be, and can we expect the Vikings to make any roster changes in the mean time?

2. By Parody on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

I’m also kind of curious as to whether Robison will be fined for his cheap shot after the field goal. We replayed that a few times and saw that #70 was intentionally forcing Robison’s legs back over himself at the end of the play before he retaliated with a left foot jab to the cup. It still was unsportsmanlike, so I expect that he’ll be punished for it to some extent.

3. By billbobagons on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

Hey Mike just a few thoughts. No surprise at all with Ponder after seeing what he did in 1 quarter last week with no reps, AP, Harvin and 2 O line guys out. With todays complex Offence and defense Ponder smarts should be a big benifit along with his accuracy and quick feet. The play calling on our last drive with 3 1/2 minutes or more left was not very impresive. With the way AP was running the ball and knowing you had 4 downs to get a first down and 3 timeouts and the 2 minute warning. Just seemed like putting alot on Ponder. I hope they start adding in some more of the young guys so they can grow toghter with Ponder(Fusco,and Love).. I was also surprised with the relationship Ponder has with Kyle Rudolh why there were no receptions for him. If he was inactive I missed it. as always enjoy your wrighting and any coments You make.

4. By ssorc1 on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

So now that we know what Ponder can do, and against Green Bay no less, and what McNabb couldn’t, the Vikes weaknesses seem more apparent now: passing game and secondary on the defense. Any ideas as to how those issues will be dealt with in light of all the injuries. If the Vikes can get that passing game going now and shore up the defense in light of Winfield/Cook etc missing then they are back to being competitive. Sure we can forget a Super Bowl this year but the team looked a lot stronger and energized with Ponder today.

5. By billbobagons on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

One more quick note on Chris Cook. Many young guys make mistakes and Chris Cook is no different than many others. (see Jerad Allan and Emerson Griffen) Lets Pray he learns from this and one of the Veterans or coaches sit him down and make him understand what an oppurtunity this is. I believe he can be one of the better corners in the league and anchor the Viking secondary for years to come.

6. By Mike Wobschall on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

Yeah, I’m not going to comment on either of those issues. Let’s talk about the game. What are your questions from the game everyone?

7. By James on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

Hey Mike,
    Ponder looked good out there sunday! If he continue to play like this and improve each week, our future is ponder! Now, do you see the Vikings signing a guy like TO to come and help with the passing game? Another thing is that I realize we missed Pat Williams out there!

8. By VegasVike on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

Great game, with the proven success of recent changes, what will the next tweaks be?

9. By Parody on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

Mike – I must have been mistaken, because I could have sworn that the unsportsmanlike penalty on Robison DID happen during the game…

10. By Brent on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

Would you rather beat the Packers in Lambeau and go 2-14 or lose to the Packers and go 6-10?

11. By Parody on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

2-14 and beat the Packers, no question. Being 6-10 is no better than being 2-14, outside of the fact that you get “bragging” rights that you weren’t the worst team in the NFL. The positive edge of it is that you get to beat your biggest rival, on their turf, AND you get first dibs on rookies to improve the roster for the following year.

12. By Tom on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

I was wondering about the defensive players, why do they just stand in one spot after the opposing team catches the ball and gives them an extra 5 yards or so of room to run? It seems like they are not being that aggressive towards the opposing offense and waiting for them to come up to them before making a tackle. I have noticed that happening a lot every game that they have played. Please inform me about why this is, I just do not quite understand that concept. I thought that you did not want to give the opposing team yards, but because the defense just standing there waiting for the opposing teams receivers to come to them to make a tackle they are just letting them get extra yardage. One other thing Offense, I thought, looked a lot better out there with Ponder at helm. Way to go Vikings!!!!!

13. By Bob on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Hey Mike, I’m curious, what do you think the Vikings will do with Cedric Griffen? He was a good player but he just doesn’t look the same after two major injuries. WIth such a thin secondary, do they cut ties with him after the season? or do they keep him on the roster?

14. By brian koschak on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

adrian peterson runs for 175 yards today and there’s no AP highlight reel. c’mon. someone dropped the ball at vikings.com on that one. get that done.

15. By Matt on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Hi Mike,

Any updates on Antoine Winfield or Percy Harvin? Winfield was out again today, and a neck injury that sidelines a guy for multiple games sounds worrisome. Percy seems to have a new injury/injuries that limit him in practice and in today’s game.

Thanks for fielding these questions! SKOL Vikings

16. By Peter on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Ponder had an unexpectedly strong debut, but we saw strong play from the likes of Tarvaris Jackson. Ponder made some big plays with a very limited receiving corps and offensive line. However, he was poor statistically and didn’t rip apart the Packers’ secondary the way Cam Newton and other QBs have. The jury is still out, but what do we make of Ponder’s debut? Are there any good comparisons to other successful (or unsuccessful) quarterbacks? Any red flags?

17. By sliver on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

What entered into the decision, outside of the location on the field, to not go for first down at end of game. Ok, we had a green quarterback, and, all the packers would have had to do, IF, we wouldn’t have made the first down, was kick an immediate field goal. However, had we made it, a couple of things would have happened…a young quarterback would have developed some self-confidence, and we may have had an effect on the outcome of the game. Here we are with 1 win, if we are going to experiment with a new quarterback, why not experiment in some other areas…fake punt, etc., be more innovative.

18. By Mike j on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Coming into this game I had no hope in us competing with the defending champs but I actually thought we could’ve won as the game went along. Hey Mike when is our OC going to stop being so predictable pass on first run on second we did that the whole game and on the final drive our play calling was terrible pass all three downs when your running back was having his best game since his rookie season, and I thought the refs let the Packers get away with a lot of pass interference calls to. Defensively as a head coach you should know your team best and if I was in Frazier position theirs no way I punt that ball with how horrible our defense was playing and have been playing all season, we have the worst secondary in the league Tyrell Jonson who I call a bust player looked like he was our best DB in that game along with Sherels he should start and Abdullah continues to be out of position looking loss on the field if he didn’t give up that touchdown I think we would’ve won that game we had the momentum until that play. Cedric Griffin use to be my favorite DB on our team but now I think any smart coach would not be starting him, in a game with Winfield and Cook out he still managed to be our worst DB on the field I saw a play where the ball carrier was running towards him and instead of attacking to prevent him from getting the 1st down Griffin was back peddling. With that loss yesterday our season is clearly over and us fans know where are weaknesses are at so we know what positions we should look at come draft time now its about the coaches sitting down the vets who couldn’t do their job and let our young players get some play time to see what they have to offer.

19. By Mike j on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

I think Ponder played well in that game his stats were good for his first full start and playing behind one of the worst O line group in the league, now we couldn’t expect him to put up the numbers Cam Newton put up because were a team that runs the ball to. Now when you rush for over 160 yards AP and pass for over 200 yards CP that’s called good balance we had the Packers on their heals in that game and I believe we will beat them the next time around if the defense shows up not just J. Allen and K. Williams. Did anyone notice on the Packs last drive every play was ran to the right side of the field wheres Robison, Ayodel who shouldn’t be starting because we looked better With Griffen playing for him did the DC not notice the pressure we put on Rogers when Griffen was in for Ayodel, EJ I can exclude since he’s playing injured but Greenway did we not just give you a new deal why is he having such a bad season on that last drive he missed a tackle that would’ve helped us our leaders need to step up on the field not just with their mouths

20. By purplehaze on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

give cook and bb the boot, they’re not worthy!!!

21. By Joner on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Hi Mike

WIth Herrera struggling with Injury, what are the chances that Fusco will get a start? How do you rate his progress since the draft?

Thanks
    Nick (England)

22. By Jeffbleedspurple on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

I agree with what someone stated in here, it’s time to start changing some of our rules to the game, the remainder of the season needs to take on a whole different meaning, not play to win, but play to improve and develope players, for exsample, get rid of Berrian and bring up that young player “Equalnuts” or whatever his name is, it’s time to admit we need some team rebuilding . And yes, what in the world is going on with Greenway? one other thing, we seriously need to start working on another field position for Webb and stop wasting that talent.

23. By vikefan on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

more like mcnabb and bb

24. By Eric on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Mike,

After yesterdays ‘Home’ game for the Packers, do you think there is cause for continued support for a new stadium by the general public? Or, should we just be resigned to the fact the team will be relocating to LA soon?

It strike me funny the lack of support for the Vikings yesterday. A divsion rival comes into town, and receives a warm welcome…. makes me look forward to better days on the west coast.

25. By Steve Ross on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

What happened to Ryan Cook?

26. By Ron Villani on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Is there much doubt that the priority for the Vikings in the next draft is the defensive secondary?
    Ponder breathes hope into the future.

27. By Matthias on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Fusco already played in the game… I don’t really know how much, but then he was in he played better than Herrera, I suppose. We should start the rookies to see what they are able to do and what not.

Move Robison (kind of slow ) to DT and Everson Griffen to RE.

28. By Stoney on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

@PETER, I don’t know what your smoking, but I never saw strong play from Tavaris Jackson, NEVER!

29. By ponderpurple on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Why did Robison not get ejected from the game, he is such a loser for kicking a Packer between the legs. He should be kicked out of the league!
    Yahoo has a video replay of this penalty, Very Sad #96

30. By Travis on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Mike- with all our secondary problems would there be any benifit in sliding a healthy Winfield over to Safety be more beneficial it seems to me that he is the only one willing to tackle and can supply the big hits that are needed in coverage also it seems to me that there are more safety blitz’s than corners.

31. By CA_Viking_fan on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

I have the same exact question that Tom asked. (see above)

What’s up with the DL soft play by all except JA? Quit being so nice. Play till the whistle blows. Sheesh, it is so bizarre seeing the DL just kick back and relax. Let’s get nasty, and start swarming and decleating! The GB players probably woke up this morning thinking, “it’s nice to give my body some rest due to our brutal practices”. I bet none of the GB players are sore. Watch an Army-Navy game for an idea.

32. By Vikeman57 on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

I think C. Ponder made a very reasonable debut. They scored more points than most of the other games. But you sure can’t hold other teams when DB’s are always 5 yards away from the other teams receivers. They couldn’t cover my grandmother if they had too. The secondary is a big JOKE. This is just not yesterday but week after week we see this kind of coverage for the last 5 years at least. Why do QB’S always put up their best numbers against us. Disgusting and yet I never see anything change in coverage.

33. By Karen on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

First, the game yesterday was really exciting and very glad to see that Ponder will be our QB!! Ponder did a great job. On the other hand, I have qustion. You say that if we have a ny problems, text security – well none of our cell phones work in the dome so we cannot do that. We had a drunken Packer fan that stood up all the time and holding up a sign which blocked our view of the plays alot. She was very sarcastic and used the “F word also. Not good as we have young children sitting right in front of us. How can we get ahold of someone if our cell phones don’t work??

34. By Hans on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Do we need to evaluate our scouts because were not getting good talent. Look at the Packers two Superbowls. Perhaps we should funnel some of our money into scouting instead of our players.Coaches can olny teach what they have for talent.Changes need to be made!

35. By BrianD on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

I realize Joe Webb is a QB and also many have wondered why he is not playing as a receiver. With his athletic ability,size and a team need, has it even been discussed to give this guy a shot at DB? Developing at a position takes time but it makes sense to at least see if he has potential there

36. By Blasphemerr on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

The vikings secondary is very-bad. However with a developing QB a new offensive line would be more productive, not only for the health of the QB, but the run game as well. I wouldn’t overlook the possibility that the vikings take a WR with their first pick in the draft in hopes of finding that solid #1 target for the next 3-15 years.
    Building around a QB takes a couple years and order is generally determined by the value at the slot you pick at.

37. By Fred on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Thinking that we have a QB what are we going to do with Web? Why not get some plays that he can be in the game, as put him in as wide receiver and throw to him or end around for him with an option for him to throw. It could really open up the offense.

38. By robin peterson on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

by central valley fan when will the coaches see that the corners and safetys sucks my 11th grade son can play better than what their have.

39. By john on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

The vikings best wide recievers are percy Harvin, Mike Jenkins,visanthe shiancoe, and Kyle Rudolph.Why don’t the vikings put Harvin & Jekins out wide & use Rudolph in the slot. They could keep shiancoe as a revieving te.

40. By camden nj die hard viking fan on Oct 25, 2011 | Reply

yes we do pride our selves on stoping the run with our front four but isnt everyone else on the defense paid to do their job too i mean we have terrible safeties and “clearly”cedric griffen is not the same he’s the weakesk link to our defense its embarrising seeing him giving up plays back and forth meanwhile sherells is young fast agressive and is a good cover db did a great job on greg jennings one of the best in the game why has he not got a chanxe to start i honestly think we have a lot of young talent thats not being seen

41. By Vernon on Oct 25, 2011 | Reply

Howdy Mike,
    I know this might seem as a far stretching long shot, but the rumor has been swirling now that the Colts are vastly interested in drafting Andrew Luck(in this coming Draft) and are willing to tank this season or do whatever need to get his services….. Now I dont see the Vikings landing the number 1 pick.. nor do i see St Louis, Miami, going 0 and 16.. the Colts.. Yeah I see them breaking this season end at 0-16.. Which in turn would give them that Pick to Draft Luck… Which could in turn lead to Manning being “Trade Bait” on draft day for another High Draft Pick say with any of the teams I’ve mentioned(Rams,Dolphins,Vikings).. Now let us “Predict” that the Vikings land a pick between #5 and #7 which isn’t a far stretch… DO you believe the Vikings front office is still considering this current Roster “Playoff Caliber”(if they had Superb QB play, which Manning brings).. to a point they would trade that HIGH pick for Peytons’ Contract rights?.. I for one liked what I seen from Ponder.. But I have seen this teams’ Front office make soo many “Strange” pick trades that I wonder….. Plus who in the World wouldnt like to see Peyton in Purple n Gold??? hahaha those whom sport Green n Gold, Silver n Blue, or Da Bears!!!
    Let me refresh the Question to get to the Point.. Do you think the Vikings front office, the teams brass, coaches n such feel that this teams Current roster is 1 High quallity QB away from contending??
    Thanks Mike,
    Purple fan-man, Vernon.

42. By Source Phoenix SEO Training on Oct 9, 2014 | Reply

Having read this I believed it waas rather enlightening.

I appreciate you spending some time and energy to put this
    short article together. I once again find myself spending a significant amount
    of time both readingg and posting comments. But so what, it wass still worthwhile!