Stadium Issue Hits Front Burner This Week

Posted by Mike Wobschall on October 16, 2011 – 12:28 pm

For the last few months, the stadium issue in Minnesota may have been background noise to the casual Vikings fans. But that will change this upcoming week.

With meetings scheduled between Governor Mark Dayton and State Legislators as well as the NFL coming into town to assess the stadium situation, you’ll see a lot here on vikings.com, in the newspapers and on national and local news casts about the immediate future of plans for a new stadium in Arden Hills.

The Vikings don’t play until 7:30 p.m. CT tonight, so we thought now is a good time to get a head start in thinking about the upcoming week’s developments on this issue. As this opinion piece in the Pioneer Press states, now is the time to act on the Arden Hills stadium plan. It’s the only solution that works for the State, the County, the team and Vikings fans.

What Can Vikings Fans Do To Help?
– Contract Legislative leaders by clicking here and tell them to support a Fall Special Stadium to ensure the Vikings long term future in Minnesota.
– Follow Minnesota Momentum on Facebook and Twitter
– Stay informed on the issue by logging on to vikings.com and Minnesota Momentum, and also by clicking on the links below…

Bucking Stadium Doubts, Wilf says “Let’s get this done”
Vikings stadium proponents dismiss questions raised by study of Arden Hills site
Wilf says stadium issues are solvable
Panel clears obstacle for Vikings stadium project

Tags:

48 Responses to “Stadium Issue Hits Front Burner This Week”

1. By ozzinator on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

@ Titus – What’s the latest on Moss coming back?

2. By KLAWZ on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Pretty sure they need to earn it first! My opinion, they are not even close!

3. By andrew neighbors on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

vikings let kick the bears ass!!!

4. By Twoodsnvikes on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

How do we contract legislative leaders? Are we talking a long-term contract deal or just a one or two year deal? What are they going to do for us under contract?

5. By Mike B. on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

I am ready for a big win in chi town. Goo Vikings Barrooooohhh

6. By Mike B. on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Missed the off the cuff video didn’t you all do one Mike W?

7. By Justin F on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

The NFL cannot let the Vikings move. Minnesota is a important state for NFL football and they don’t want to lose the 4 or so largest fanbase in the NFC.

8. By Twoodsnvikes on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

@Justin: That is what I’ve been saying the whole time, won’t happen.

9. By Titus on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Thank you goes out to the Rams. Now the Vikings can hand the Pack their first loss. Awesome. I can hardly wait.

10. By Dryes on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

“Who the he77 wants to go all the way to idiotville ( arden hills) to spend an afternoon drinking the toxic water and breathing the toxic air? Dumb-a55 vikings fans? Yeah, that’s our best bet”…. from the thoughts of the ownership. They car about realistate not football. wake up MN losers. If they won’t build in Minneapolis then let them move to LA

11. By Justin F on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Dryes, go back to Cheesehead country where you belong. We don’t like your kind here.

12. By Mike B. on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

@Dryes they have already did clean up studies on the site and cost to route traffict to Arden Hills. The spot has enough room to provide parkiing for all the fans and have true tailgating. It’s going to be a great venue and will provide MN the ability to host the superbowl, the NCAA finals, and even possibly the NBA finals. Your spelling is really bad. All the fans want a state of the art facility to enhance the game experience. It’s just on the north end of the metroplex are you too lazy to drive there?

13. By Pud Grand on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

I cannot improve upon what Dryes just said– he hit the nail on the head!

14. By Titus on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Justin, the man is allowed to voice his view. Dryes does speak for a lot of people, and it is a valid point. After all, knowing the level of money involved, any “study” can say whatever the powers want them to say. The level of toxicity at that site, seeping into the ground for decades, would have me concerned. What is the half-life of the chemicals at that site? It may not be safe, but is downtown any safer?
    I personally like the energy of downtown. I would like to see the stadium near the river close to downtown. Go to the game and then see a play at the Guthrie.

15. By Pud Grand on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

And, the Green & Gold boys of WI are 6-0…

16. By Titus on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Wow, those green and gold uniforms were hideous. Is it an early Halloween?

17. By Twoodsnvikes on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

That’s the meat packers for ya

18. By Pud Grand on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

The real Halloween colors were when the Cleveland Browns wore the orange pants with the brown jerseys!

19. By Justin F on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

My apologizes. I think the Vikings are dead-set on having alot of land to themselves, thus why Arden Hills is out in the suburbs away from congestion. I think the Vikings will accept anything as long as they get their stadium.

20. By Titus on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Arden Hills is out in the suburbs because the Vikings want a lot of land? Your writing kills me!!

21. By Titus on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

What struck me was how the Packers only scored 3 points in 3 quarters against a horrible team– at home, no less. Packers are not invincible.

22. By Mike B. on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

only radioactive materials have half lives. my understanding is this facility did conventional explosives. That would mean lots of potasium or nitrate based chemicals not unlike agricultrual chemicals which can be used as explosives. The chemical clean up can be costly but can be done. Radioactive material and waste is stored in secure locations. We don’t want terrorist to get a hold of any of this including the waste.

23. By Titus on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Come on Mike– I am trying to support Dryes’ argument. Half-life is not exclusively used for radioactive elements, although it is its predominant application. Then again, you look at what happened at Love Canal– I don’t believe those toxins were radioactive.

24. By Titus on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

A little over 3 hours before kickoff– I got some things to do — see all you clowns later.

BAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Vikings by 30.

25. By Dryes on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

I”m a life-long Vikes fan, and I’m a little fed up with them at the moment as well as the ownership. Minneapolis is a central location and the economic effects of the 8 games played there plus the other attractions that could be booked would be profound. The Wilfs are in the real estate biz and I think that is why they have bought the vikes. I predict that if they build the stadium in A. HIlls that they will subsequently sell it to the highest bidder if it generates the greatest profit for the Wilf biz. We need local ownership and that is where the Fudge-packers got it right. The city owns the team and the income generated thus helps the city while the owners have a direct investment in the team. And, yes, some Vikes fans need to pull their heads out! There are so many extremely opinionated Minnesotans ( liberal and conservative) who hold on to the idea that we must oppose the opposite at all costs. I’m sad to say that I’m glad I now live in CO due to the more positive vibes and open minds.

26. By Dryes on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Does anyone think the Vikes “Suck for Luck’? If so maybe they ARE moving to LA? Pure speculation of course. Btw, I won my 5th grade spelling bee, which is a lot more than can be said for the reactionary redneck above:) LOL. I WOULD fly out to see the Vikes kick some a55 in Minneapolis, though, and go out to celebrate in a FUN environment afterwards. Where do they party in A HIlls? Does anybody really know? I hope I’m wrong and that its a riot out there if they build it. I’m thinking the players and fans would like the atmosphere of Minneapolis better. Lets kick some a55 tonight!!!!

27. By Frederick Jones on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Probably hundreds of people have input into the draft. If Spielman, Studwell, or Brzesinski say, “we should pick this great qb,” doesn’t that have impact?

How do you justify the picking of only 8 offensive linemen in the last 9 years?
    In addition NONE of those offensive linemen picked are ANY GOOD ! ! !

The Vikings are LOSING more because of the porous offensive line than any other reason.

28. By Titus on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

I have to agree with Dryes– I like downtown energy much better. Reading Dryes and DRS tell how much happier they are in their new locations drives home the fact I need to move and get out of this state. I heard CO is great for cycling.

29. By Titus on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

I am going for a bike ride now in 40 mph winds with a temp in the mid 50s– oh how I miss the summer. Vegas is 88 right now– Vegas, I am jealous.

30. By Frederick Jones on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

@Parody,

I do not want to limit bloggers, and I am okay with political arguments. Mike Wobschall would prefer they not be on here. He clipped one of my posts about a month ago.

It was easy for him to do it, because my post was the first one in that blog.

31. By Titus on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Freddie Jones— I am moving out of this state!

32. By Frederick Jones on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Mike Wobschall,

This blog SHOULD be monitored. I encourage it.

But be intelligent in the way you do it. Don’t just cut a blog because it
    MIGHT make your bosses unhappy.

Swearing, immoral comments, and other indecent material should not be allowed in any blog.

SO WHY COME AFTER US FOR MAKING POLITICAL COMMENTS, POSTING VIDEOS, OR MAKING NEGATIVE COMMENTS ABOUT YOUR BOSSES.

33. By Frederick Jones on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

@Titus,

Are you serious??? Titus, Be Sane And Serious, is moving out of Minnesota?

I live in the country about 20 miles from any decent sized city. I hope it’s a temporary move. But I am still in Minnesota.

You are one of the few to have a positive voice on here thru thick or thin.
    Hopefully you will continue to go to Vikings.com ?

34. By Dryes on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Yeah, Titus, since i left Minneapolis and moved to CO it has been a steady increase of bliss, self-growth and love for life. Its usually sunny, there are cyclists everywhere ( I used to a lot as well), and its so easy to have a good time. For me, its like paradise versus an okay place to live. There WAS a lot that I enjoyed in MN, but its great to be elsewhere. Of course I live in Boulder, where there’s something for everyone and beauty all around all year long! I used to do those same kind of rides through floods, storms, winds, ice, snow, subzero temps and I notice that in those conditions our bodies posture changes as does our patterns of joy and love for life because we go into protection mode. I didn’t realize it until I got away from it. Happy riding.

35. By Frederick Jones on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Mike Wobschall,

I agree with you 100% that the fans do not know how the Vikings manage to make their genius decisions for the draft.

Pray tell…how do they pick only 8 OLinemen in 9 years??? Perhaps my knowledge is lacking, don’t they use 5 guys on the Offensive Line?

And then explain to US MORONs how NONE of those linemen are good NFL players?

36. By Dryes on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

I agree, Frederick, its starts with the line and you build off of it. It might not be 100%, but its darn close. When we had our best offensive years we also had great o-lines. Granted we have had some other challenges to address this year, but how many picks have we wasted on long shots and unsound investments. If we can trade Berrian one of our lineman for an upgrade, we should do it! We have too many great pieces to waste on poor coaching and management.

37. By Frederick Jones on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Missed draft picks can CRUCIFY a ball club.

All I did was check the 2005 draft and this is what I found:

The Vikings selected Troy Williamson with their 7th pick
    and Erasmus James with their 18th pick.

Among the people we could have selected instead:
    Defensive Backs: Antrel Rolle, and Carlos Rogers !
    Linebackers: DEMARCUS WARE AND SHAWN MERRIMAN
    Wide Receiver: Roddy White
    Quarterbacks: AARON RODGERS and Jason Campbell
    ….Mind you we could have drafted ANY TWO of these guys !

Now OFFENSIVE LINEMEN THE VIKINGS COULD HAVE SELECTED IN 2005:

Guard David Baas has started 58 of 96 NFL games, and started the
    the first 4 games for the powerful NY Giants team in 2011 ! ! !

Tackle Michael Roos has started 101 of 101 NFL games !

Center Chris Spencer 74 of 85 starts, including the first 4 Bears games up to the time of Pro Football Reference records !

Tackle Jamal Brown…I didn’t look him up, but I have heard he is a starter
    in the NFL.

Oh, sure other teams also missed some of these people. But there were
    four (4) Offensive Linemen that would start for the current 2011 MN Vikings!!!!!!

THE MINNESOTA VIKINGS NEED TO CHANGE THE WAY THEY DRAFT ! ! !

38. By Frederick Jones on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Jamal Brown happens to be a 2 time Pro Bowler and was 1st team NFL one year.

39. By Justin F on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

I guess I can never please Titus…

40. By Titus on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Hee hee, Justin, just keeping you on your toes. No mean intentions.

41. By Titus on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Dryres –I was born out east and my whole family is from the east– I have always felt MN to be a place of — good enough– Thanks for the insight. I agree. OMG– just for fun I looked up weather in Boulder, CO. The avg high is coldest late Dec– Jan– at 46 above zero. You can cycle year round (especially if you come from a place like MN).

42. By Dryes on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Titus-….and the sun feels really warm even when it is cold out. The vitamin D from the sun is known to be a big factor on mood and outlook. Oh and the skiing is fantastic compared to the icy slopes of MN and east coast. I’ve cycled up hills out here that make one’s thighs feel like they will explode! The ride down is epic and makes it rewarding too. Sometimes I take the bus up to Nederland ( 28 mi up the canyon 3300 Ft elevation gain or so) and then mtn bike around there and ride the 28 mi downhill back to Boulder afterwards. There’s so much to enjoy out here if you’re a cyclist, hiker, active and fun!

43. By Titus on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

I am outta here! I have been saying that for years, but listening to you (Dryes) and DRS, MN transplants, I remember how much a location has its own spiritual atmosphere— get me outta here!!!

44. By Rocksalt on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Titus-
    If you do not like it in MN, then leave …….very simple solution.

45. By Rocksalt on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

FYI to those who think Jerry Jones funded his new stadium entirely:

Originally estimated to cost $650 million, the stadium’s current construction cost was $1.15 billion,[14] making it one of the most expensive sports venues ever built. To aid Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones in paying the construction costs of the new stadium, Arlington voters approved the increase of the city’s sales tax by 0.5 percent, the hotel occupancy tax by 2 percent, and car rental tax by 5 percent. The City of Arlington provided over $325 million (including interest) in bonds as funding,[14][15] and Jones covered any cost overruns. Also, the NFL provided the Cowboys with an additional $150 million loan, as per their policy for facilitating financing for the construction of new stadiums.[16]

From Wikipedia

46. By Arrow86 on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Wow! After the coaching of this game, I think the legislature should take 5 minutes to say absolutely not! What a clown outfit we have coaching this group. Frazier is not a head coach. We call timeout with 4 seconds to go so we can do an inside handoff. We’re married to McNabb and Berrian and their performance is regrettable. To think Berrian is skipping team meetings with his lofty stats. Cut Berrian, bench McNabb, release Sully if he can’t do more than snap a ball. He could try to block someone, which would be nice. I only watch this clown outfit waiting for the “Dungy disciple” to get his first clue and play Webb, or put Ponder in.

47. By Arrow86 on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Ponder needs to start. Our yards after catch improved when he came in. Frazier can’t coach this team to beat any division foes, so you start the season 0-6. Now you have to win the other 10. Spielman should go. He enjoys getting the genious tag. 6-10 and now 1-5 with that kind of genious it’s hard to argue with how he keeps his job. It’s a tough economy, I bet we’d have 100 better applicants within 15 minutes of being shown the door.

48. By Arrow86 on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

If the Pack rolls 40 + points on the Vikes next Sunday, their ought to be a shake up. Aromashadu get’s separation, Berrian doesn’t. When your center snaps the ball deep in your own end and goes hard right without touching a defender, it’s time to open that position up. Our safeties are poor and play finesse football. Look at what Lovie Smith did. He benched both safeties for poor play. Jaymar Johnson will never be very good, and don’t even get me started on Asher Allen….. What is Frazier’s dominant strength that anyone has seen in him. He’s the same way, win or lose. THat’s fine as long as we get to see the winning side more than the losing. He can’t coach with a big lead, he does his best coaching on Tuesday nights, but the Vikings don’t play any scheduled games on Tuesday night.