Vikings Defense Will Adjust To Chicago’s Adjustments

Posted by Mike Wobschall on October 15, 2011 – 8:58 am

A major storyline to Sunday night’s Vikings-Bears matchup at Soldier Field is the Vikings pass rush vs. the Bears pass protection. The Vikings are 2nd in the NFL with 16 sacks and the League’s leader in sacks is Jared Allen (8.5). The Bears, meanwhile, have allowed the 3rd-most sacks in the NFL and they’re making changes to their starting lineup.

It all adds up to a potential advantage for the Vikings, but only if they can execute properly and close the deal when they get close to QB Jay Cutler. That’s what the Detroit Lions were able to do last Monday night, as Cutler was constantly trying to evade pressure. Cutler actually played well despite the heavy pressure he saw all night, but when the offensive line can’t protect the QB consistently it’s just a matter of time before the offense finally breaks down.

Cutler and Bears Offensive Coordinator Mike Martz addressed this storyline earlier in the week, with Cutler saying the pressure makes him “uneasy” in the pocket and with Martz explaining that the Bears may utilize “quicker throws” to help Cutler get the ball out of the pocket before facing pressure.

This all means the Vikings can’t simply count on being able to pin their ears back to pressure Cutler with ease. Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier explained earlier in the week that he and the defensive staff must be ready to adjust to Chicago’s adjustments.

“We’ve gone against teams in the past that have struggled prior to us playing them and they’ve changed their blocking schemes and we’ve got to be ready to adjust to that,” Frazier said. “They’re going to do everything possible to fix some of the problems they had on Monday night and that they’ve had during the season and we’ve got to be prepared to adjust to whatever changes, if any, they make. But we need our pass rush to be working for us.”

With more quick throws possibly coming from the Bears offense, it will be important for the Vikings secondary to be sharp, especially right after the snap. If the Vikings can take away Cutler’s primary option, it may force him to hold the ball for an extra count or two, and that will give Allen, Brian Robison and the rest of the defensive line a chance to add to their sack total this season.

Tags: , ,

113 Responses to “Vikings Defense Will Adjust To Chicago’s Adjustments”

1. By Fred Swenson on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Test to see if th posting process works before I go to the trouble of actually writing one.

2. By Titus on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Fred, what I have found helpful is to copy my posting before I hit submit, then if it does not go through, I can paste it and try again– looking for the possible culprit that won’t let me post. The typical culprit is a “naughty” word hidden within a word– insane, but that is how this site works.

3. By Tyler Harris on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Does anyone know the situation on Julius Peppers ?

Is he still on the injury list, or is he playing sunday ?

4. By Titus on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

We need another blog – “Vikings Quarterback will throw to receivers.”

5. By Mike Wobschall on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Peppers is doubtful on the injury report.

6. By Titus on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

That is good news.

7. By Fred Swenson on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Okay; it works, so here goes. This analysis is generally spot-on. The only other comment I would make is that if the Bears do go to a short yardage, quick release passing plan to keep the heat off Cutler and they start to have some success, the Viking corners will need to resist the temptation to start jumping routes, or they could get burned deep on stop and gos. I don’t know how good Cutler’s pump fake is, but Favre was a master at getting DB’s to bite on what looked like a short route and then nailing them over the top when the receiver got behind them.The Vikings are really going to have to watch out for this. Also, not mentioned in any commentaries I’ve read was how Matt Forte, along with Cutler and his scrambling, kept Chicago in the Lion’s game until things finally fell apart in the 4th quarter and Chicago’s defensive lapses killed their ability to come back. Forte has to be accounted for on every play, or the Vikes will pay. Overall, I think the Vikings will have the best chance to win if they can come out strong, get at least 10 points up, and force the Bears into catch up mode. That should enable the Vike’s D-Line to turn loose on Cutler, help to take the crowd out of the game, and allow the Vikings to finish them off with AP on the ground. Detroit’s Jahvid Best killed the Bears with those two long runs, and he’s no AP, so there’s no reason to believe the Vikings ground game can’t do the same thing. Finally, KEEP THE BALL OUT OF HESTER”S HANDS! That’s another reason Detroit was able to beat them. Hester was a non-factor on returns, and that really hurt when Chicago was not getting much offensive production. A good kick or punt return could have resulted in another score and shifted the momentum of the game towards them. We can’t let this happen. If we can’t score on a possession, all effort need to be directed to punt coverage and, if necessary, kicking it out of the end zone. That requires at least decent field position on 4th down; no further out than mid-field. Kluwes’ leg can handle it from there.

8. By Fred Swenson on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Titus: That’s good advice; I routinely do it that way when when I post on other sites. This one seemed to go through okay, but in the future, I think I’ll play it safe as you suggested. As far as the game goes, I really hope our guys can come out fired up and put the pedal to the metal right off the bat tomorrow night. As I said in my other post, that’s their best chance of putting this one in the “W” column. A couple of 30-50 yard completions to the WRs or tight ends would be just the ticket, followed by AP ramming it down their throats and into the end zone. I’d keep that reverse or double-reverse in my game plan too as an insurance policy if the Bears start over-pursuing to get Peterson stopped behind the line. Tweak the look a bit so they don’t recognize it until it’s too late, and then watch the fun when Harvin or one of the other WRs gets into the secondary. Do all that, and we could be in for a very enjoyable Sunday evening. I, for one, could sure use it.

9. By Twoodsnvikes on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

McNabb goes 12-25 127 yards 0 td 2 int, Allen will have 2 sacks but our secondary will give up a number of big plays, Berrian drops 2 b4lls catches one for 5 yards, Mike W raves about Berrian’s continued success this year on Monday

10. By Viking Joe on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Don’t kick it to Hester !!!

11. By Viking Joe on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Vikings 24 Bears 20 F

12. By IMW on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

DEAR CHICAGO BEARS AND THE GREAT STATE OF ILLINOIS: PLEASE BE WILLING TO TAKE YOUR FORMER TEAM PLAYER BERNARD BERRIAN IN EXCHANGE FOR SOMEONE GOOD SAY DEVIN HESTER OR ANYONE ELSE! NEVER MIND JUST GIVE ME A VIENNA POLISH W/ GRILLED ONIONS AND HE’S ALL YOURS!

13. By Titus on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

This is the season folks. We win this one and I know we will take the Pack down the following week and the team will get a swagger — McNabb will throw for four touchdowns.

14. By Twoodsnvikes on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Will the 4 touchdowns all be thrown to our team?

15. By Stoney on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

If Frazier and his staff could adjust, we would not be 1-4

16. By Matt on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Defensive adjustments are all well and good, but has McNabb learned to throw a football yet?

17. By Twoodsnvikes on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Lolz Matt, no because remember we have all “blown it out of proportion” so he’s really accurate I guess…..

18. By Titus on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Stoney, my exact thoughts when I saw the headline. Very funny Twoods. One thing McNabb is good about– no interceptions, but because he takes no risks. No risk, no reward.

19. By Twoodsnvikes on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Might as well start throwing it everywhere, toss it at Rudolph I think he could turn out like NE’s Gronkowski, big target big hands but we never target him or get a chance to etc…

20. By Twoodsnvikes on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Not a good sign when you’re not utilizing your first or second round draft picks…

21. By Justin F on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Here’s fun trivia for today. McNabb last year threw alteast 30 times per game (except one game where he only threw for 19). This year, he hasn’t broken 21.

22. By Titus on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Justin, be careful or you might replace Mike W with posts like that.

23. By Rocksalt on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

hard to make either completions or INTs when you throw dirt b a l l s…….

24. By Rocksalt on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

either way, the argument he is not hurting us.is somewhat pathetic……..he is not helping us either……..

25. By Rocksalt on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

akin to saying after each loss well, at least it was a close game……..

26. By Rocksalt on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

bottom line: we need to improve our passing.

27. By Rocksalt on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

winning isn’t EVERYTHING……..it is the ONLY thing.

28. By Twoodsnvikes on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

AKA start someone else at QB…… anyone else…..

29. By Joe C on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

I hope you folks aren’t getting all excited about beating a bad Cardinals team?

The Vikings should have beat the Chiefs – Todd Haley’s job was saved by the Vikings poor efforts.

The Bears Defense will still keep the Vikings under 14 points now what?

The bears will score 24 on our defense

so if the Viking defense doesn’t get into the end zone twice we have no chance!!! Before the season started I said the Vikings would win 2 of the first eight games this year – the Bears is not one of them.

30. By Titus on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Oh Joe, the Great, what is the other win in your prediction of two, if it’s not Chicago? This is the easiest game for us of the three left before the Bye.

31. By Joe C on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Titus,

Are u Ok? Beat the Packers? Are u sniffing glue? I know you want to be positive but that is crazy!!!!

Beat the Packers – LOL LOL LOL

not this year buddy

32. By Ragnar on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Joe sucks cox for money

33. By Titus on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Joe, I am more than okay. Back to reality– You are not responding to my question. You said we would win two games before the Bye and just said it will not include Chicago. So, do we beat Green Bay or Carolina?

34. By Titus on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

I believe we will deliver Green Bay’s first loss of this season. Yes, I said it.

35. By klwedge on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Mcnabb is starting to defie his coach wounder how much frazire will take before he gives him his boot up his arsss

36. By klwedge on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Hey joe C get out of Viking territory lame suck some packer cheese through a straw.lol like your suckin them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

37. By TheRealDon on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

@Joe C..It’s really looking like your the one sniffing glue..

38. By Justin F on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Does anyone think that the Packers going undefeated is going to lead to a epic loss at Minnesota next week? They face St. Louis tommorrow and that’ll make them 6-0. Just imagine, we can ruin the Packers’ undefeated streak. It’s all wishful thinking.

39. By Titus on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Justin, your logic is what? I don’t follow. I am not saying because they are undefeated that we will beat them, but rather how much sweeter it will be. We have the best shot of almost any team in the NFL to beat the Packers and they will be due a loss by that time. Logic is in our favor. I can give you half a dozen reasons why we will beat them and not one is considered a wish. By the way, we assume a lot– St. Louis may beat them.

40. By Calim on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

I guess the Vikings could actually beat the Packers. Unlikely, but possible. However, is this really a good thing ? At some point, the staff needs to realize that this season is wasted so they can stop trying to make it work with McNabb and get the young guys on the field so they can get some experience and some chance to do good next year.
    The front seven is doing awesome, some guys in the secondary seem to be growing into their roles, Jenkins and Aromashadu are starting to play well and Rudolph could be a huge playmaker for the team. As for the offensive line, they are sometimes able to step up, and they need to find what makes them work or not. Thing is, all of that is useless if the team doesn’t have a QB able to connect with his teammates. This QB is not McNabb. It could be Ponder, it could be Webb, it could be none of them, but to know that, we need to get them on the field !

41. By Justin F on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Again, it’s just wishful thinking. It’s not like the Packers have a bad QB…

On the subject of the Bears, I just ventured over to the Bears message board and it’s pretty grim over there. Ever since Julius Peppers was listed as doubtful, some posts predict the Vikings dominating.

42. By Calim on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Obviously, Julius Pepper is a great player and probably the best defensive end in the NFL after our own defensive hero.
    However, it’s not like his absence will have any impact for the Bears while playing against the Vikings. I mean, whether you pressure McNabb or not, he still won’t be able to throw the ball…

43. By Titus on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Again Justin, it is not wishful thinking. Who has their number? Who has played them more than any team (except the Bears)? Huh? Oh, wait, it just could be the Vikings could win. Wait, Adrian Peterson may be in the dome that day. And our mad pass rush that will terrorize Rodgers– oh wait, it is wishful thinking. One of the best home teams in a loud dome with one of the top five pass attacks— and the best running back, oh wait, there is no way the Vikings beat the Pack in the dome– Yeah, right. There is a very good chance the Vikes beat the Pack– I predict it — – besides the odds of a team winning every game are very slim-

44. By Titus on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

TRUE FANS UNITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

45. By Calim on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Titus, I hate to say it, but even inside the dome, the Vikings didn’t manage to hold the advantage they had at half-time against the Bucs and Lions. And while a case can be made for the Lions team with Megatron being stupidly good this year, the Packers are definitely better than the Bucs.
    The pass rush should be effective enough against them, but in the long run, I don’t really expect the defense to be able to hold too long against the Packers passing attack and their 4/5 WR sets (unless their Oline collapses that is, and it is indeed possible, but I don’t really expect it).
    But anyway, the question right now isn’t the Packers but the Bears, and that match will have a huge impact on the Packers game. If the Vikings lose against the Bears, then the season is definitely over. If they get a divisional win on the road, they may get going, but it’s still an extremely difficult road to the playoffs, particularly with two 5-0 teams in the division.

46. By nightdog on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

I am sure glad that most of you idiots aren’t the coach.

47. By Titus on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Calim, I am well aware of all your points, and good ones I might add. In fact, I am basing my prediction against the Pack on a win at Chicago tomorrow night– if we lose against the Bears, I am not so confident. I see a lot of what Frazier is coordinating– the naysayers do not see what he is building and doing– and he is leading a team that is gradually improving. But yes, my Green Bay prediction is predicated totally on a win in Chicago. Read a post of mine further up in this blog– I agreed with you– tomorrow is the season.

48. By NovaScotiaVike on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

If most of these idiots aren’t the coach, then which ones are?

49. By Mike B. on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

LOL

50. By Mike B. on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

I feel the Bears are a beatable team even at home. WE will need our best game for the next 3 games to be 4-4 at the bye. This game coming is the season truly no matter what the others say.

51. By Shawn on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

As my week gets closer to gameday … my heart begins to affect my judgement. I am seeing a Bears team whose biggest weakness ( OL ) faces one of our biggest strengths ( DL ) Bears do not have a true #1 WR which works in favor of our second biggest weakness ( DB ) …

Yes of course McNabb and Berrian are our biggest weaknesses but it seems the coaches might be in the process of a WR depth reorder.

Julius Peppers may not play which bodes well for our OL … especially the weakest of that link, Charlie Johnson

So if McNabb can play better than last week … I see a 24-17 Viking win !!!!

52. By Titus on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Yep, it truly is– a win here on the road against a divisional foe where we rarely win as of late is a huge morale booster– and two in a row just multiplies the confidence level. Maybe the Rams will help us out–

53. By CanadianVF on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

The Green Bay Packers have the 21st ranked defense, Vikings are 14th has to count for something. I am continually amazed at the amount of fans who after five games have totally given up on the season. What if Stafford got hurt for an extended period of time, of course that would never happen. Or Rogers went down and the Packers had to turn to their back up for six weeks, things would dramatically change. You never know what is going to transpire during the course of a season. Did anyone envision six months ago that the Colts would be where they are. Were the experts predicting the success of the 49rs or the Bills? We have competed hard and been in every game we have played this year, you never know, thats why they play the games.

54. By Titus on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Where is Vegas?

55. By Shawn on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Titus … I am really starting to look at your Vikings beat GB bandwagon

Especially if they come into the dome undefeated and the other reasons you mentioned

but Ill add one more , Im not 100% on this one but I think GBs LT is injured leaving a back up trying to block Jared Allen …. Mr. Rogers might be in serious trouble

If Rams win though all bets off and GB comes into the Dome too hungry to lose

56. By Calim on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

It’s just a matter of odds. When you have two teams that are 5-0 in the division and one that is 1-4, you don’t expect the 1-4 one to make the playoffs. In most cases, the 1-4 (and previously 0-4) team would be considered out of the race. The only reason why the Vikings retain any credibility this season is because of the dominance they add in the first halves of their games and some huge players like AD or Allen.
    But at some point, you have to get realistic. There is still hope for the Vikings this season, but not much. At least, the conference is overall pretty bad with three teams dominating and the other ones struggling pretty badly, so there is still a wide open wild card slot.

57. By Shawn on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Mike B … I knew we agreed about something , Vikings :)

58. By Titus on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Ahh, some other sane and rational fans are here– so refreshing. Yes, Bills are my hometown team and look at them! I would much rather see us have our losing streak at the start than in November/December, which we typically see in the past decade or so. It is a long season– Vikes will be hot at just the right time.

59. By CanadianVF on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Good point Calim, and if our quarterback play doesn’t improve then are chances are very slim. But I am still going to be fired up for each game no matter what. Even if we are out of it, we still have some great players to watch on our team each week.

60. By Shawn on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Canadian VF … thats what makes us fans , come kick off we will be on the edge of our seats rooting for the Vikings

…. possibly booing McNabb, but really who could blame us?

61. By Mike B. on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Second half of the schedule is pretty tough too.

62. By Shawn on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

I say possibly booing McNabb … its up to him, play like a 13 year vet or like a MLB pitcher who leans a little too much on his slider

63. By CanadianVF on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Who else in the league has a player like Jared Allen and his charisma. Nobody has the calf roping gesture he has when he sacks someone, its his own trademark, I laugh every time he does it and I feel good!!! We have the best running back in the game, the combination of his speed, moves and brute power in one football player brings me out of my seat every time he takes off on one of his runs.

64. By VegasVike on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Hey guys, work again today. Glad you missed me. Nova I’ve always enjoyed your humor. I get to see the game tomorrow! Can’t wait I’m hoping for a win!

65. By Titus on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

CanadianVF- did you see Brian Robison do the calf-roping gesture against
    Arizona ? What was up with that? Ironically, it was when Allen went down with a poked eye.

66. By Mike B. on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

where’s the off the cuff video I love Paul Allen telling it as he sees it.

67. By CanadianVF on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Titus, it looked like he half did it and then waggled his finger like no I can’t do the gesture because its Allens gesture and only he can do it.

68. By NovaScotiaVike on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

This works out great. Sonja gets to chase rabbits all afternoon and our DL gets to chase Cutler all night !

69. By Calim on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

At least, whatever happens at the end of the season, we’ll still be able to watch the last drive of the Lions during regulation at the Metrodome…

70. By VegasVike on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

My concerns are we don’t seem very good a half time adjustments this year, if they’re making adjustment before the game starts… Our D should be able to hang, our O however is gonna need more than AP… I thought we were a west coast O?

71. By Justin F on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Titus, I’m just reserving judgment on the Packers game next week. Remember the last game we played against them? It was a massacre. So I’m assuming that the Packers when they come to town will essentially be better overall than that (and that was when they lost 7+ guys for the season).

72. By CanadianVF on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Justin F – The Packers were paying us back for the success we had the year before with their old quarterback. Last year was a train wreck.

73. By Titus on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Justin– last year, the Vikes did not play– they were getting rid of Chilly. No way with our players like AD, Allen, a bruised but prideful Favre, etc do we only score 3 points at home– that game does not count for any analysis. When we played in Green Bay earlier in the season, however, we had a couple TDs incorrectly reversed– even one the league admitted was wrong, and we narrowly lost at Lambeau— SO, Justin, please do some critical thinking before posting.

74. By Justin F on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

I am not stupid. I know what the Packers are capable of.

75. By Twoodsnvikes on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

By that logic Titus… with AD, Allen, and a veteran McNabb with something to prove and double digit leads in the first 3 games, were we trying to get Frazier fired? Just wondering on your take.

76. By Fred Swenson on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Canadian VF has it right; there are no guarantees about what is going to happen on “any given Sunday” in the NFL. You can make educated guesses based on player and team match-ups and performance in recent games, but sub-par play by key players, bad calls by officials (I think the Bears got jacked on a couple of plays last Monday night) or injuries can turn the whole thing upside down. I look for the Vikings to win for reasons I stated in other posts plus the morale boosting effect of beating Arizona (irregardless of how bad they were). When you start believing you CAN win, it’s more likely to happen. Also, remember Chicago had a disappointing loss with a short week to get over it and get ready for this game, and that’s another mental and physical advantage for us. Right now, Chicago doesn’t match up that well against us on either side of the ball. On defense, if we can keep a lid on Forte and stay on Cutler’s receivers so he is forced to eat the ball or throw it away under pressure, and on offense, if McNabb can get it together and make at least 4 -6 downfield completions to the WRs or TEs early in the game, and the line can open a little running room for AP, we’ll be looking good. As I said earlier, special teams play, as always, can be a game changer. Shutting down Hester is the key to not giving up points and winning the field position battle. If they can do all that for 2 halves, I say 27-10 Vikings.

77. By Titus on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Of course not, Justin, just like I am not a wishful thinker.

78. By Titus on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Twoods– it is well known that you can logically prove a circle is a square– that is why I don’t get too lofty in my thinking– . But, most of us are well aware of the meltdown that occurred last year– especially at that Green Bay game in the dome.
    Remember all the vets and players that cared and how they were screaming at the others on the sidelines? Half the team sat down and gave the Packers that win.

79. By VegasVike on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

I always want the Vikings to win in my heart. And that’s what it’s gonna take for this team to turn this season around, heart. We’ve got too many starters that don’t show that passion to win. Some are past their prime, over paid and just don’t seem to care. I WANT them to beat the bears but honestly I’m not sure they can. And as much as I hate the pack, they don’t have a shot. Sorry Titus, but that’s the fact. Anything can happen and sometimes it does. Being in Vegas I play the odds, our odds ain’t good this year.

80. By DuaneN on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Don’t care if the defense adjusts or not. Doesn’t matter. Cutler will either throw darts or he won’t.

81. By Rogerthevikefan on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Allen will dominate their OLine and AP will destroy their DLine. The only problem is when the Vikes have a long 3rd down and have to turn to McNugget. If the Vikings win this week they will beat the chesse heads next. Limit McNugget and the wins will start rolling. Play Ponder and the Vikings will put up atleast 14 more points a game.

82. By Rocksalt on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

well, you all can make your pre-game predictions, prognostications, and possible game scenarios. I am going to just wait and see what happens on the field. We have shown that we can play well. We have also shown that we can play horribly. We will just have to wait and see .

83. By sandiamond on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Today actually starts Q2 because we had to borrow a game in Q1. Q2 lasts from today thru the away game @ GB. The 2nd half of the season is a lighter schedule which would make Q4 shorter for Frazier’s goal in Dec( better than 50% odds Q4 could be meaningless anyway)

Must Win vs Chicago today
    Must Split Games vs Green Bay
    To get us back in the wildcard hunt

Carolina game not much concern right now pending our record @ week 8

84. By sandiamond on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Good to see Percy and Remi up close and persona!. Mike what happened to the EJ intererview? i must have sneezed and missed it

85. By Old School on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Put Ponder in there already!

McChoke stinks!

86. By diehard viking on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

KILL CUTLER THERE OLINE SUCKS I PREDICT 4 SACKS BY ALLEN 3 SACKS BY ROBISON MAYBE 1 FOR WILLIAMS. AROMISHADO IS GONNA LITE UP THE BEARS SECONDARY. LEAVE BERNARD BERRIAN IN CHICAGO.

87. By Calim on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Let’s take a statistical look at the NFC right now.
    We have three dominant teams in the Saints, Packers and Lions, as well as somehow surprising division leaders in the 49ers and Redskins. Aside from that, the Giants and Bucs are 3-2 and every other team has 2 wins or less.
    In the playoff race, that means that a wild card spot would go to the Lions or Packers and the other one is pretty much wide open. The Bucs got totally crushed by the 49ers last week and you never know what to expect from the Giants, but aside from that, every other (non division leading and not Lions) team is only 1 win away from the Vikings.
    That does sound crazy, but is a result of the dominance of the Lions and Packers that are handing losses to everybody in the conference with some help from the Saints and 49ers.

Now, let’s look at that from this weekend games point of view.
    The Giants are playing the super hot Bills and the Bucs are facing the Saints, which means none of those team is too likely to get their 4th win today (even though that’s far from impossible).
    If you add the teams with two wins to the equation, the Cowboys have really bad odds playing against the Patriots on their home turf and the Falcons could get a win against the Panthers, but it’s going to be a difficult game for both teams.
    Then, you have the Vikings playing the Bears. A win in Chicago would put the Vikings at 2 wins, which would place them 1 win (or maybe 2) from the other teams currently struggling for a wild card spot.

At that point, the Vikings would then be still running in the playoffs race (and should then be hoping for the Lions and Packers to keep crushing opponents in the NFC so the two wild card spots go to the North, with the Lions winning the division if possible because Packers fans are so annoying…)

88. By Carl Brodin on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Deactivate Bernard, start Devin. Get the ball to Harvin,Rudolph,Shiancoe,Aromashadu,Jenkins, Run Peterson amongst all that. Switch it up. Do not be predictable. Release T. Johnson, Watch Hester and Forte with the short pass. Also Watch there tall reciever put Cook on him. Gang tackle Forte and Hester. Stop there running game. Get up on them by 21 points. Do not get complacent on Offence & Defence. What do you all think. Sit Mcnabb play Webb if Ponder is not ready. Webb beat the eagles last year so he has experience. We need to win.

89. By sandiamond on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Let’s beat Chicago and roll into the dome vs GB! We can’t wish for rainbows every week on all other teams playing in the nfc

90. By Lawson on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

anyone watch the nfl picks video? All I got was : “bears suck, vikings have an advantage….I pick chicago to win over the vikes” W t F? The vikings strengths play right into the bear’s weaknesses….Vikes win this game hands down.

91. By Woodboat on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

@Titus… really, dude? You predict we’ll beat the the Packers? Come on, man…

They have an exponentially better QB than we do and a considerably better receiving corps. Their O-Line, while not stellar, is much improved. On our side of the ball… well, lets just say that I’m seeing Asher Allen on the field with Winfield out. If our starting 4 can’t get to Rodgers in a big hurry, we are toast. Here’s the catch… the Packers coaching staff, which appears to be a notch or five above ours, knows this as well. They’ll give Rodgers just enough protection to let his WRs/TEs get behind our LBs and he’ll pick us apart.

When we have the ball… well, at least we won’t see dust flying when McNabb cranks his throws into the turf at home.

92. By Woodboat on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

My predictions for tonights game…

Peterson runs the ball up the middle on 85% of 1st downs… averaging 2.5 yds per first down rush.

McNabb has a completion percentage of 53%, and avg YAC of 4.8.

Cutler leaves the game with a concussion (Martz is a fool….)

Our coaching staff completely fails to protect our first half lead by relying on McNabb to save us when the Bears concentrate on stopping AP in the second half.

I’ll be grinning from ear to ear if we win, but I’ve lost faith in our ability to win with this QB and our coaches….

93. By NovaScotiaVike on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

My predictions for today…….Sonja, who is much faster than a rabbit, because of their cornering ability she won’t catch any (as usual)………..Bernard Berrian, who can’t get around any corner, won’t catch anything either………the difference?…….Sonja won’t make any excuses.

94. By Twoodsnvikes on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

BERRIAN HAS A BREAK OUT GAME, ONE CATCH FOR 5 YARDS!!!!! GET READY TO RUB IT IN OUR FACES MIKE WOBZ!!!

95. By Parody on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

After the disciplinary action last week, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Berrian turn things around and grab 5 throws for 60~ish yards and maybe even a score. It will be just enough to keep the coaches’ faith in his “abilities” and then he’ll return to being Mr. Drop again while continuiing to waste our #1 WR spot in the lineup.

96. By Twoodsnvikes on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Whoa we don’t want to destroy the NFL record books Parody… I think the breakout game of one catch five yards is big enough

97. By NovaScotiaVike on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Parody, it’ll never happen. If it did that would mean that Berrian is smarter than my dog.

98. By Twoodsnvikes on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

And it would mean Donny mac could throw better than a middle school quarterback, which we all know isn’t true

99. By tdurfeightyeight on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Stop the run,punt out of bounds or use extreme hang time,Feed the Beast.A.P. needs at least 25 carries.Utilize Harvin and Rudolph by throwing it to them in stride McNabb !Don’t turn the ball over…They do this and they will win 24-21.

100. By CanadianVF on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

GAMEDA!!!!!! I have my colors on, got my horns, time to go hunt some BEAR!!! I have talked them out of watching hockey at the local establishment in the small town I live in and they are putting the game on the big screen!!!! Looking for an unholy beat down on Cutler and All Day to run wild. Go Vikes!!!!!!!!

101. By Yvette on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

OK>>>> McNABB NEEDS TO COME OUT OF THE GAME AND NOT BE STARTING QB ANYMORE

102. By diehard viking on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

mcnabb needs to retire berrian sucks sucks sucks

103. By diehard viking on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

yeah no shut out take a shot down feild with aromasado

104. By diehard viking on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

aromashado did more on tackle than berrian has done since he has been here

105. By Old School on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

So, at what point do we know the season is s#$%….and put Ponder in?

1-5….1-6…….1-7?

COME ON ALREADY!

TIME TO THINK ABOUT HIRING A NAMED COACH…WITH PROVEN TRACK RECORD! NOT THIS INTERM PIECES OF S$%^!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

106. By Old School on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

THIS FRANCHISE IS A JOKE!

107. By diehard viking on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

zigi make the move at half ponder

108. By diehard viking on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

wow a deley take a f///#$% shoot at the endzone

109. By diehard viking on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

ok whos in mcnabbs jeresey cause that couldnt be him have hope allen is going to get goin here

110. By diehard viking on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

garbage

111. By 68shelby on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

hey isn’t Curling on it has got to be less embarrassing than watching this team play

112. By 68shelby on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Frazier and his staff couldn’t adjust to a speeding truck headed right at them .

113. By diehard viking on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

i new we were bad but f@#$ me