Ask Again: Can Jared Allen Record His 100th Career Sack In 2011?

Posted by Mike Wobschall on October 11, 2011 – 9:29 am

I posed the question contained in the title to this blog entry last week, and I think we should revisit the issue this week following Jared Allen’s 2.0-sack effort on Sunday against the Arizona Cardinals. Allen now has at least a .5 sack in 13 of his last 14 games, including 7 straight contests, and he’s at 8.5 sacks for the season; the franchise record is 8 (held by Jim Marshall and Carl Eller).

Since the Vikings acquired Allen in 2008, he’s come through in a huge way, registering 48.5 regular season sacks in 3+ seasons. In total, Allen has recorded 91.5 career sacks in the regular season. When you add in his postseason sacks, Allen is at 94.5 for his career.

When Allen is recognized for recording his 100th career sack, it’ll be for his 100.0 career regular season sacks. Why they don’t include postseason sacks is a little confusing, but they don’t. That means Allen is officially 8.5 sacks away from 100.0 for his career, but technically he’s 5.5 away from 100.0 (if you include his 3.0 postseason sacks).

If Allen gets his 100th career (regular season) sack in 2011, it’ll be his 17th sack of the season, which would be a career high. But it’s not out of the question that Allen could record his career high in sacks this season, especially when you consider that this is the best pace he’s been on in his entire NFL career.

Going back to the question…can Allen get his 100th career sack this season? He’s officially 8.5 away, with 11 games to go. Keep in mind the Vikings still have 5 home games remaining, he’s on the best early-season pace of his career and he had the best training camp of any Vikings player.

What do you think Vikings fans? Will Allen get to 100 this year? I think he will, and I think it’ll come in the final week of the regular season against Jay Cutler and the Chicago Bears.

Let us know what you think by leaving your thoughts in the comments section below this entry…

Tags:

41 Responses to “Ask Again: Can Jared Allen Record His 100th Career Sack In 2011?”

1. By billbobagons on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

I do believe with Jared Allen off season training it has paid of big along with his slow start from last year that he wanted to get out of his mind. He may set the record this year with playing the Bears twice. Maybe next year with are d line Linebackers and corner the Vikings should play the wide 9 on Defence. We have the player up the middle to do that.

2. By Rogerthevikefan on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

He will end up breaking Cutler. I prediction 3.5 sacks.

3. By GM on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

The real question should be…

Will Jared Allen record more sacks this season than the offense completing passing touchdowns?

4. By AlbinoSnowman on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

Our first four opponents had good offensive lines. Considering that, Jared getting 8.5 sacks in just 5 games is nothing short of remarkable. We still need to play Chicago twice, Denver, and Atlanta, who has been struggling protecting the Quarterback. I don’t see Allen slowing down anytime soon, so I honestly can see him breaking the single season record with 23. If he does get close to 22.5 he won’t beat it by much, but I can see 23 happening.

5. By AlbinoSnowman on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

Jared Allen said he doesn’t follow football in the media while he was mic’d up last season or the year before, but I’m sure he found out that the players ranked him in the 80′s in the top 100…wouldn’t be surprised if that’s contributed to his monster season.

6. By VegasVike on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

So Berrian was benched for disciplinary reasons, not because he can’t perform. That speaks volumes of the game plan huh?

7. By David P on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

Yes because the game plan cannot perform. BB is a joe and I guess when the HC is fired he will realize that.

8. By David P on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

SP I meant joke.

9. By Karl on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

Two great comments so far by GM and VegasVike.

I think we all believe Allen will get another 8.5 sacks this season, so that question is somewhat pointless. But will he get more sacks than our offense will get passing touchdowns? That is a legitimate concern. So far McNabb has 4 TDs compared to Allen’s 8.5 sacks. I think if either McNabb or Webb are at QB, Allen will finish with a bigger number. If Ponder gets a chance to start, then all bets are off.

For VegasVike, Berrian benched and the result is an explosion of offense. Granted, a lot of that was defense and AP related. But maybe without Berrian on the field, our down the field blocking by WRs is better which allows for bigger runs. Just a thought…..

10. By Karl on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

Also, can we talk about the upside of Aromashodu? I certainly remember him burning us 2 years ago in Chicago. Maybe he can be the deep threat we so desperately need.

11. By husker4vikes on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

No question: Jared Allen will have 100 sacks this season.The guy is a beast!He’s a great team leader and his intensity has not let up even though it sucks to be starting 0-4. He and Brian Robison have persued the QB relentlessly every game.

12. By VegasVike on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

Karl-plus maybe the team saw an opportunity to be a team.
    Q. What’s worse than a player that quits and leaves?
    A. A player that quits and stays…

13. By Karl on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

No kidding. Although I might have one better for you.

Q: What’s worse than a player that quits and leaves?
    A: A player that quits, gets traded twice, becomes awesome again only to be traded back, complain about the menu, and then get cut.

I still love Moss, though. Wish he wasn’t such a basket case.

14. By Stephen on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

I have been a Vikes fan since ’61 and still am. I absolutely love to watch AP and Jared. I loved the sack by Robison whne he pretended to do the Aleen stir the pot.

15. By Stephen on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

Not very good at typing. GO PURPLE AND GOLD

16. By jdude on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

I can’t believe it we actually have a chance to get third in our division.

17. By Rogerthevikefan on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

Allen will get close to the single season sack record but with McNugget at Qb it will not lead to many wins. Maybe Fazier doesn’t want Ponder to get hurt because of a bad LT. Who knows but if he knew Johnson was only average he should have looked into other FA LTs.

18. By jdude on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

Rodgerthevikefan it’s because everyone (except the fan’s) want’s the vikings will move to LA. Have seen the there new stadiums colors. Purple, and Gold. What does that tell you.

19. By jdude on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

Sorry bad grammer again. I meant want’s the vikings to move.

20. By VegasVike on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

I agree Karl, would love Moss like talent without Moss like attitude. I wonder what was on the buffet that was so bad that could make a grown man snap? Dallas Cowboy star shaped croissants? New England cl am chowder?

21. By VegasVike on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

Can’t say CL Am FYI

22. By Tfunk2 on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

forget wall street, i’m occupying here until we get change…

wobschall let the brass know my de mands…

4 dollar tickets

an old experienced qb

coach who can do the run-run-pass-punt…

oh and someone willing to draft 2nd round picks we will never play

an ostrich for an owner willing to leave his head in the sand (LA, nice beaches, blond girls in purple, cra ppy economy but they dont care…)

what, they are giving in already?

23. By VegasVike on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

Holy smokes the artists renderings of the LA Stadium ARE purple and gold! At least I could see more games…

24. By jdude on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

VegasVike they are already making a stadium in LA. There just not taking about it.

25. By jdude on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

And the stadium already has Purple, and Gold on it.

26. By Justin F on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

For the love of god, can we stop saying the Vikings will move? They are a part of Minnesota history and moving will forever impact our local economy. Dayton, Goodell, and the other NFL owners won’t allow it happening.

27. By Shawn on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

28. By AlbinoSnowman on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

That guy just said the Cardinals had been running well, but then said that they had a terrible run game at the end….what?

29. By Shawn on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

Well now we know why Shannahan benched McNabb … watch this

30. By Shawn on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

31. By VegasVike on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

Question. How many millions do you think the Wilf’s would make if, let’s say…. The Vikings tank in 2011, Minnesota does not approve a new stadium and they sold the team to some L.A. investors? $200 million? More?
    The time is right, no lease left on the dome, no ties. The deal may already be done! Remember Mike W said we fans have no idea what goes on behind closed doors. This would explain the teams resiliency to bench worthless players and open up the game book wouldn’t it.
    Question #2 Are the Wilf’s businessmen or football fans first?

32. By VegasVike on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

Shawn please post the link

33. By Shawn on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

Vegas … what link?

34. By Sir Greasy Panda on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

Hey lets quit complaining for the next two weeks and get behind this team against our biggest rivals!!! We have had tough losses but we have not been blown out we have hung in there every single game!! we can beat Chicago and give the Packers their first loss!!!!! Come on Vikings fans!!!! Im sick of complainers!!!!

35. By VegasVike on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

Why Shanahan benched McDuck, it’s blank on my screen http://www.what?

36. By Ellie on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

Jarad Allen (and now)Adrian Peterson are the Heart and Soul of the VIKINGS …Makes me remember the PURPLE PEOPLE EATERS !!

37. By Frederick Jones on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

To my Fine Feathered Friends,

The media has not yet missed on the poor play of McNabb. Unfortunately our Offensive Line is as bad as McNabb !

How many yards would Pete have gained with a great offensive line? We may never know as our Front Office FORGETS to draft Guards, Tackles, and Centers.

Do they think they can find KING KONG for quarterback ! ! !

No lols, I’m serious.

38. By AlbinoSnowman on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

Now I’m reading all these posts in the computer voice…thanks alot Shawn

39. By Derek on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

I agree with what someone said about Aromashodu, he is a good solid WR. Play him more, he’s fast, like Percy, can catch. He’s a solid WR. Yes he did drop a pass Sunday that he shouldn’t have, but it happens sometime, just as long as it doesn’t become a constant thing. Play him more!

40. By jvikesof texas on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

Jared Allen will have 23 sacks this year

41. By Laura on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

I’d like Jared to get at least 4 of those sacks on Rodgers! He did such a great job sacking Rodgers in 2009, I’d love to see him do it again.

Cutler has been sacked numerous times this season, so I have no doubt Allen will get in a few sacks.

I figure if we aren’t going in the playoffs then might as well start beating their career highs. Except of course McNabb who I guess is playing his worst season ever.

Let’s ‘Ponder’ the QB situation some more, while we lose!

GO ALLEN, PETERSON & HARVIN!