Young Vikings Secondary Rises To Challenge

Posted by Mike Wobschall on October 9, 2011 – 3:47 pm

We said it before Sunday’s game against the Arizona Cardinals began: with star CB Antoine Winfield unavailable due to a neck injury, the young Vikings secondary had to step up.

And they did.

With Winfield out and Cedric Griffin benched for the first series, the Vikings ran out Asher Allen (23 years old, 3rd season) and Chris Cook (24-2)  as their starters at CB. On the game’s first snap, the Vikings had their nickel package on the field, with Marcus Sherels (23-1) being the 3rd CB. Do the math, and you’ve got a group of CBs with an average age of 23.3 years and an average experience level of 2 seasons.

But that didn’t stop the group from playing well. Arizona was forced into a 3-and-out on their first series, and then with Griffin back in the fold, the secondary continued to play well. Allen grabbed an INT in the 1st quarter, and after the first two quarters of play, Cardinals QB Kevin Kolb had completed just half of his 22 pass attempts for 104 yards and he had a passer rating of only 44.5.

Star WR Larry Fitzgerald was held in check, too, as he finished the game with 6 receptions for 44 yards and, most importantly, no TDs.

“They came up big for us today,” Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier said. “Great to see Asher step up, great to see Jamarca step up. Chris Cook seems like he’s getting better every week. We all know there are big-time receivers every week in our league, and I haven’t seen him bat his eyes yet. He just continues to improve.”

In total, Kolb was 21 of 42 for 232 yards with 0 TDs and 2 INTs; backup QB Richard Bartel was 2 of 6 for 22 yards with 0 TDs and 1 INT. Coming into the game, Kolb was averaging 8.1 yards per pass attempt. On Sunday against a youthful Vikings secondary, Kolb averaged just 4.1 yards per pass and he was unable to find the end zone for the second consecutive week.

The bottom line is the Vikings secondary is a group that has been much maligned recently. Some of that criticism was warranted, and I’m sure some of it wasn’t. But after Sunday’s performance, there’s nothing but positives to take away from this group. And it’s a group that will only get better and gain more confidence once Winfield can return to action.

Tags: , , , , , ,

109 Responses to “Young Vikings Secondary Rises To Challenge”

1. By Shawn on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

First things first … GREAT TO GET A WIN !!! GRATZ VIKINGS AND COACH !!!

GRATZ FRONT OFFICE !!!!

AND A SPECIAL CONGRATULATIONS TO SCOTT STUDWELL !!!!!! FRED

2. By Shawn on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Secondly as a fan I want to keep winning but as a person of close to average intelligence its obvious we will have no chance with Donovan McNabb

Donovan Mcnabb is awfull !!!!

I think anyone with an IQ over 5 can recognize he can not play QB

McBench Donovan McCant throw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. By Shawn on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Special Thank You to Coach Frazier for not allowing Berrian to hurt this team today … I hope you see it and it contiues

4. By SmileyStar on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

BB out! Vikings win!

5. By Twoodsnvikes on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

They got lucky that some throws were thrown RIGHT to them, their coverage outside of that was awful, not Cook’s, but Asher and griffin were terrible and terrible tackling.

6. By Rick on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

I thought Chris Cook played GREAT today!! He’s been playing really well this season. I have to say though, when will the staff see Tyrell Johnson does nothing for us. Sanford is clearly better, and when Johnson was on the field, his blown coverage allowed a TD to be scored (luckily it was called back due to a holding penalty). it’s time to either cut or deactivate him and let Raymond dress for the games.

7. By Animal26 on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Looks like the writing is on the wall for berrian. http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/32365/coachs-decision-on-bernard-berrian

8. By Twoodsnvikes on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Hopefully it;s permanent. Camarillo needs to be in on 3rd downs he has good hands. Raymond sherels and burton need to replace allen johnson and griffin. sit mcnabb and we’ll be golden. Or lose the rest of the games so we get Luck, either way.

9. By Titus on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

BAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

10. By Spencer on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

CHRIS COOK IS THE BEST PURE CORNER ON THE TEAM!!!! HES BETTER THAN GRIFFIN GUYS!

11. By NovaScotiaVike on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Purple05…….Are you still singing the praises of McNothing now?

12. By Shawn on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Wheres Fred ? I thought hed be excited that the DL played with their hands up….

lots of batted ba-lls today or as it should be recognized

TODYAAAAAAAAAAAAA

13. By Shawn on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

McBench Donovan McCant throw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

he is the new weak link so … GoodBye

14. By Purplenurple4 on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Shawn… you forgot Donavan’s one positive characteristic…CONSISTANCY!
    He always misses his intended target by at least 5 to 15 feet.Today he even displayed a big toothy grin when missing Shank for an easy 1st down.SOUPS on Ma!!!…and yes it’s poop flavored again.I’ll bet soup to nuts this guy doesn’t get the proper play calling relayed from his helmet to the rest of the team without messing it up.Ever notice how smart players on the O-line or Toby are lining up wrong…it’s McDone!!!!!!!Rudolf open over the middle for a TD…no I’ll
    miss a WR for a 1st down.ENOUGH..if Frazier can’t man up & cut McJoke…then can both of them…& sell it as corn soup.

15. By Viking Joe on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Griffin would be better suited as a safety, especially after 2 major knee injuries, he was very adequate once as a CB, but not anymore.

16. By NovaScotiaVike on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Wobschall, how’s that ” BREAKOUT YEAR FOR BERRIAN” prediction working out???????

17. By NovaScotiaVike on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Last week Wobschall blogged “Getting rid of Berrian will not help this team”. What color is the sky on your planet, Wobschall??????

18. By Purplenurple4 on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Allen,AD AP,Lord Have Mercy Percy,Kevin W.,Robison,Greenway…KUDOS!
    O-Line…well done men.Griffen..man the concession stand & tackle a hotdog.BB I miss…nevermind.

19. By Purplenurple4 on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

The Kleinsausage man-handled his guy…still a big contributer!!!!

20. By Purplenurple4 on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Shank..luv u man..but the penalties…fix it…PLEEEEAAAAASE,with sugar on top.

21. By Garrett on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Ponder Ponder Ponder Ponder Ponder Ponder Ponder Ponder Ponder Ponder Ponder

22. By Viking-ology on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Not to be negative, but this was the Cardinals. Vikes score all their points (except 3) in the first quarter. McNaab missed more than half his throws, he is terrible.

23. By Viking-ology on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

This win will probably allow Mcnaab to play until the bye. It’s too bad Frazier doesn’t realize (or doesn’t wan’t to) how bad McNaab really is. Ponder needs to play. I don’t think the locker room will think it’s a “rebuilding” year if Ponder plays-look at all of the other rookie success. Play Ponder now!

24. By Viking-ology on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

By the way-great job Peterson, you the man!

25. By NovaScotiaVike on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

NOW GO FALCONS!!!

26. By Titus on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Go Chicago!

27. By Titus on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

If Packers and Detroit lose, and we beat the Bears and Packers in the next two weeks, hey, we are right back in it.

28. By SmileyStar on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

ATL needs to knock the pack down!

29. By NovaScotiaVike on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Titus, what are your feelings about Ponder not getting into the game, even with a big lead ?

30. By Titus on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

And hold the Pack down — make them pay for the humiliating loss last year. Knock Rodgers out for the season– then we have a chance.

31. By CanadianVF on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

I had hoped that Mcnabb would improve week to week as he got comfortable in a new offence. I said he was brought in to be the bridge to Ponder and that I did not want to see them rush Ponder when he wasn’t ready yet and if we did and he lost his confidence we could ruin him. But maybe it is time to make a change, I watched Tebow almost bail out the Broncos when he finally got a chance today and maybe we should turn the offence over to Ponder and start heading towards the future.

32. By NovaScotiaVike on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

CanadianVF….that’s exactly what I had hoped for, until I realized that McNabb just doesn’t have it anymore. It’s going to take a few more losses, unfortunately, before we get to see what the rookie’s got.

33. By Bob Faries on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

McNabb ranks 31st in NFL passing yards per game. The Vikings won’t have a winning season with McNabb give Ponder some experience. BENCH MCNABB

34. By NovaScotiaVike on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Purple05, why aren’t you on here defending your hero ?

35. By NovaScotiaVike on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Could it be because he blows?

36. By Titus on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Our D plays like this and we will beat the Pack when they come to town.

37. By Torin on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

build on todays win

38. By AlbinoSnowman on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Bob, not to defend his first performance, but he’s ranked 31′st in yardage because of the Chargers game. I’m not going to do the math and see where he stands if we exclude week one, but I’d bet he moves at least 10 spots up.

That said, I’m on the “Test Ponder Out” bandwagon. It was pretty ridiculous he didn’t see any time.

I don’t want us to draft Luck (I’d prefer Kalil from USC), but man did he look good on Saturday…almost 400 yards and like 3 touchdowns in 3 quarters. I just really hate his cadence delivery, it’s extremely annoying.

39. By Justin F on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Again, why isn’t the Reply button working?

40. By Woodboat on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Albino…. what, did Mr Davis whisper this advice in your ear before he passed? (Thoughts and prayers to Mr. Davis’ family…) So let me get this straight… if we were sitting in the 1 hole on draft day, you’d take Kalil over Luck? Wow, dude….

41. By AlbinoSnowman on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

I’d trade down to 3 if I could without a second thought. I wouldn’t invest 20 mil on an unproven qb when we already have two promising prospects. Especially in our division, where every team has an vicious pass rush. Too much can go wrong when we already have the future under our nose.

And then there’s the opportunity to get a blue chip tackle. The best thing about drafting a tackle is that throwing him into the NFC North fire will quickly season him with far less of a chance for injury. With Kalil shifting Charlie Johnson to guard we have a very solid front.

42. By Rick on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

I’m torn…drafting Luck would be GREAT, but if we were to trade that pick, we would get so many picks in return, this team has so many holes that the more high draft picks we have, the better. I would only trade back to stay in the top 5 however.

43. By Viking-ology on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Luck is a no-brainer!

44. By Viking-ology on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

We need to play Ponder to see if he is “the guy” for the future-if not, then we’ll need some “Luck”

45. By AlbinoSnowman on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

I look at it like this: is Luck’s ceiling $20,000,000 higher than Ponder’s (or Webb’s)?

46. By Viking-ology on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

I think the Colts will have the first pick of the draft, then Miami then the Vikings. Colts will go from Manning to Luck-unbelievable!

47. By AlbinoSnowman on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

I’ll meet you there, Viking-ology. It’s impossible to abandon Ponder when we haven’t even thrown him to the wolves yet.

48. By AlbinoSnowman on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

I think you’re right, although it does look like Painter could win them a few easy games to take them out of the Suck-for-Luck sweepstakes. But yeah, the Colts will draft ahead of us for sure.

49. By Viking-ology on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Albino-you can’t put a price tag on a franchise QB that happens to be the best prospect since John Elway.

50. By Viking-ology on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Yes Albino thats right. Ponder needs his chance-I think he can be great.

51. By AlbinoSnowman on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

You also can’t know if that investment will be a bust. One thing that worries me is that Luck doesn’t need to play football. He’s financially secure for the rest of his life from his family alone, so maybe he won’t even have the heart and Gatorade sweat the greats like Elway and Manning have. Good people can be busts too.

52. By Nicholas on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

The pass rush and the secondary worked very well with one another today. Congrats on W # 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

53. By Viking-ology on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

All I know is we are wasting time with McNaab at the helm. He is gonna get pummeled at Chi-town.

54. By Viking-ology on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Good game Vikes but…PLAY PONDER NOW!!!

55. By AlbinoSnowman on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Oh yeah. It’s actually going to be a little funny. Btw maybe if we had a blue chip tackle McNabb wouldn’t be pummeled ;) lol.

I don’t mean to sound so harsh on Luck btw, it’s just that I’m worried that we miss on our virtually guaranteed top 10 pick while Adrian is in the prime of his career. We need a guy that can help us win now, and that’s a rare role for a rookie QB to take.

56. By Viking-ology on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

McNaab is still McBaad

57. By Viking-ology on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

We really do have a pretty good team-but McBaad is nothing but back-up material.

58. By Viking-ology on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

I hear ya Albino-but if Ponder starts playing NOW, he will have plenty of experience going into next year AP still has plenty in the tank to be part of winning team.

59. By AlbinoSnowman on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Maybe Peppers ends McNabb’s season next week? Ideal?

60. By AlbinoSnowman on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Packers win…FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

61. By Viking-ology on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

LOL but you had to know the pack would win.

62. By Viking-ology on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Ponder should start week 8 @ Carolina, then they have a bye week, that will give him a chance to prepare for Green Bay. After that @ home against the Raiders- Viking fans will be behind their rookie.

63. By Rick on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

I agree Viking-ology. Let Ponder get his first start out of the way against a “non-elite” team, then give him 2 weeks to prepare for the Packers.

64. By Viking-ology on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

The only problem is will Frazier see our “arm-chair” QB logic!

65. By Viking-ology on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

As much as I love our Vikings, I don’t see us beating Chicago away, or Packers at home. Which means in all likelyhood we will be 1-6 when going into Carolina. This really is the perfect time to start the Ponder era. I guess we’ll find out soon enough.

66. By mikebrown on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Guys the thing I want to know is, how is it that every week our defense gets better and better, but our offense…………………………never mind you get the point (unless you are on the vikings starting offense, then maybe we are lost in translation)

67. By AlbinoSnowman on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

mike, I’m from Chicago so I get to see every Bears game. Let me tell you, the Bears really are a flawed team. Obviously our pass rush will hurt them, but their run defense is not to par to years past. Also, one thing I’ve noticed about them is the amount of neutral zone infractions they get.

Long story short, the Bears are who we thought they were.

68. By AlbinoSnowman on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Sorry, that was directed to Viking-ology.

69. By vikings4life on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

haha i cant believe people still find anything to get mad at even when we win, honestly your all impossible as humans the only thing that matters in this league is Winning. As long as mcnabb continues to not turn the ball over we will win Ap all day we are about to go on big winning streak.

70. By Viking-ology on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Yes Albino that may be true, but they are at home and they have Urlacker. They will get in McNaab’s face.

71. By Viking-ology on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Urlacher

72. By Garrett on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

It really sucks to say this but what if we start using Ponder and win just enough games to miss the playoffs….then we get a sucky draft…we need a really good draft

73. By vikings4life on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Ponder isnt ready to play and throwing him in there will could mess him up this is the best thing because he will continue to work very hard knowing his chance will come soon but ponder showed very very little in the pre season so much so that he never clearly won the back up job till after the last game and even frazier said that if there was no new rule about the third qb the vikes might have gone a different way. Thats a red flag when a #12 pick doesnt outshine the #199 pick and ponder was given every advantage. The day for ponder will come but i hope not this season

74. By Garrett on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

@vikiings4life

Who cares…we beat the cardinals and we are now 1-4…woo hoo

75. By mikebrown on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

the only team in the nfl that gives away free sacks are the bears, its gonna be a all you can eat buffet for the vikes d-line

76. By Garrett on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

If your think Ponder didn’t look good in the preseason you are blind….

77. By Viking-ology on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Hey Vikings4life-I like your optimism, really. I’m not being negative, I’m being realistic. I’ve been a Viking fan for a long long time, and the older I get the more frustrated I become. You can understand that can’t you!?!?

78. By Rogerthevikefan on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Start Ponder soon that way he can prove how good he is so then picking Matt Kalil would be a very easy decision. Kalil in the 1st round, WR Juron Criner or WR Mohammed Sanu in the 2nd, then in the 3rd G Kevin Zietler or S Eddie Whitley.

79. By Viking-ology on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Ponder IS ready to play, and he will get his chance soon.

80. By Rick on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Rogerthevikefan, thats is EXACTLY what I want to do, the only person I don’t know is the S so I can’t comment on him. But everyone else you named is exactly what I wish will happen

81. By Viking-ology on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

My final post tonite: Accountability, that is what makes a successful team. For now I will give Frazier the benefit of the doubt, but only if he sits McNaab after week 7. McNaab is not holding himself accountable for his on-field play-he is not being a true leader. The players and fans will embrace Ponder when he is on the field-he will display the leadership necessary for success, because he is eager to prove his worth. Peace-

82. By Garrett on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

I say draft an aggressive safety

83. By Rick on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

We did, his name is Mistral Raymond.

84. By Rick on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

We should have gone after Rahim Moore last year though, he’s been playing well for Denver.

85. By BleedingPurpleinAlaska! on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Ponder needs to start playing now so that he has less of a learning curve next year when we may actually have a shot at the playoffs. The draft Kalil and more OL, S, CB!

“Put him in coach, he’s ready to play! Today!”

86. By Rogerthevikefan on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Play Ponder so he can show how good he can be. Then pick Kalil to fix the left side of the line.

87. By Rogerthevikefan on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Sorry first post about draft didn’t go trew right away. Whitley plays saftey for Virginia Tech and the develop good Dbs. Arizona Wr Criner is 6-4 and as Nick Foles will attest very reliable. Whenever Foles is in trouble he tosses it up and Criner always seems to pull it down.

88. By Rick on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

As a USC fan, I follow the Pac 12, I know all about Criner haha I would love to be able to pick him up. He’s the big WR that we need to replace Rice on the right side. Aromashadu on the left, Criner on the right, with Percy running through the middle, this would be great for Ponder (not to mention a brand new LT from USC)

89. By Rick on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for the info on Whitley by the way, I’ll look him up.

90. By LeftyFixit on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

IF,,,, Ponder busts when we Do get around to playing him, does Webb get a fair chance to start? The assumption is, that Ponder will be better then Webb as the Starter. We Do know that Webb has a stronger arm and better running speed. Throwing Acuracy can be taught and Webb appears to be sturdier against the pass rush. Give Joe Webb a fair chance.

91. By rye on Oct 9, 2011 | Reply

Frazier needs to stop letting his personal friendship with Mcnabb come before the success of the team.

Mcnabb is obviously the Major weak link on this team.

I doubt Webb or Ponder would miss wide open receivers 4-6 times a game.

Good thing the vikings didn’t need a passing game and AP was so dominate against AZ.

Problem is, to stand a chance against good times, the vikings need at least an average passing game. Missing 4-6 easy completions a game doesn’t cut it in the NFL and results in losing. Just look at the first 4 games. Watch the film. Mcnabb cost the vikings victory in at least 2 games!

92. By glennisi on Oct 10, 2011 | Reply

Is there any way someone can get leslie frasiers’s email so that we can let him know directly that we(the people who pay everyones salary) demand, not ask, that he sit mcknuckle head…DOWN! I don’t care if he puts in that silly old viking man..mascott that rides the harley…at QB…just cut mcstiff…so that we can trade for a safety that has a nose for the ball…btw, if u look at our 4 games we have lost, our cover 2 was atrocius…
    To be continued….

93. By Rogerthevikefan on Oct 10, 2011 | Reply

They develop good Dbs not the. Can’t type worth cr @p.

94. By Adam on Oct 10, 2011 | Reply

Look Donovan McNabb is managing the game like a veteran and is doing a great job of holding on to the ball which is what u want when you have the best RB in the NFL bar none. Vikings have not lost by more than a TD they continue to progress after a transitional off season to say the least for the Vikings, Leslie Frazier has been amazing what more could u ask from a guy a true players coach and amazing head coach. Give this team 16 games and look at them. A new quarterback new OC and new DC no off season and some new guys and look at the chemistry this team is developing. Im very proud of Leslie Frazier and my man All Day Adrian Peterson the best of the best.

95. By glennisi on Oct 10, 2011 | Reply

To be continued…

96. By Jordan on Oct 10, 2011 | Reply

Cook looked great, Ive had my doubts about Asher Allen, but he didn’t seem to miss a beat today… Tyrell Johnson clearly needs to get “traded” aka cut, same for loud mouth Berrian, who thank god wasn’t able to do any damage to us today. I want to see Mistral Raymond behind Jamarca NOT JOHNSON. Also McNabb, you are the weakest link… Ponder needs to be given a shot, if he’s good, he gains experience, if he’s bad, maybe we can have better LUCK in the 2012 draft… get it…. LUCK… Andrew Luck… McNabb SUCK.

97. By McNabb on Oct 10, 2011 | Reply

I SUCK

98. By Bigfan1 on Oct 10, 2011 | Reply

Great win, go Vikings!

99. By DrinkHeavyVikingsFans on Oct 10, 2011 | Reply

Good win for the Vikes…only 5 penalties for the game, and 4 sacks for the D. Great! McBadd still sucks, 10-21? He’s a drive killer..the only good thing about him is that he is so inaccurate that opponents don’t have the chance to intercept him. Lez, stop playing this prevent defense..opponents have the ball on average 2 minutes longer per game than the Vikes even though we have many more rushing yds….Next week they play the Bears (25th in rushing D, 30th in passing D) on a short week. Lez finally saw what the fans saw and benched that idiot BB. Now for McNot…when the Bears put 9 in the box to stop AP and jam our receivers off the line next week, it will become clear to Lez that McNapp isn’t the calm, cool seasoned veteran he thought he was..Let’s get to 4-4 Vikes!

100. By Pharewynd on Oct 10, 2011 | Reply

I think Ponder should be given a chance before it is toooo late to do anything. I also think Webb with his fast-paced running could possibly be a WR and enhance the receiving corps tremendously. Give these guys a chance to prove themselves. McNabb ISNOT the QB for this team. They score great in the first half; only TWO FG’s in the second half. Got to play the entire game. Not going to work against Chicago/GreenBay at all.

101. By sandiamond on Oct 10, 2011 | Reply

All about DET losing a few games now. Forget GB and let em’ run, they play the lowly Rams next week. DET plays a red-hot SF team next week on short rest.

Det / Chi must win
    Chi / Min must win
    Det / SF must win

glimmer of playoff hope going into the Packers game
    too bad we aren’t in another division because with DET/GB winning we are cellar ducks for sure

102. By NDVike on Oct 10, 2011 | Reply

Great win but now that AMAZING ADRIAN was given the chance to pummel the Cards, every team from here on out will put 8 (or more) in the box to stop him and dare McNabb to beat them. Creative play calling – I have yet to see it. Wanna see creative play calling – watch Boise State and Green Bay. We will need it the next two games to get wins.

By the way, every analyst on the NFL network and Fox says give Ponder or Webb a chance…

103. By NDVike on Oct 10, 2011 | Reply

Kleinsasser – you da man. Always play hard and get those great blocks for Adrian!!!

104. By VICK on Oct 10, 2011 | Reply

MCNABB mcnabb GO mcnabbGo

105. By CA_Viking_fan on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

Not to take anything away from this article: GREAT JOB to the young guys who did indeed step up! I’m very proud of you.

Now for the other “problems”. Coach Frazier, it’s ok we all make mistakes. Accept them, learn from them, and move on. You did the right thing by benching BB. Now, be a man and do the right thing about the QB situation. The future starts now. I humbly think the two young QBs will surprise you. Let them play!

106. By CA_Viking_fan on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

And yes, Kleinsasser, I did notice you! Nice job my man. Every snap you were giving your all. I like that.

107. By CA_Viking_fan on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

I did not like seeing McNabb’s, and a few others, sideline demeanor during final few minutes of the game. Yes, you pretty much had it wrapped up, BUT don’t let that intensity go until the game clock goes to zero! Be a warrior the entire game. When the clock goes to zero, then go celebrate after congratulating your opponents. Intensity and class. I wish they could see how some of the High School programs in CA, TX, NJ, PA, OH, and FL are run. It’s game time “and on” till the game clock says it’s over. Jeeesh, why is it so hard for this team to have this mentality? It’s very fundamental with excellent programs. WORK ON THIS COACHES, PLEASE.

108. By 61vikings on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

Our DB’s are very young and still need alot more playing time!! Chris Cook is playing better every week!! Cedric Griffin has moments of playing great, but he is slowed by his injuries!! May want to look at Allen or Burton to start replacing him!! At safety, I think we need both Sanford and Winfield, with Winfield roaming the field, blitzing!! Best game to date for our DB’s, but it was the Cardinals!!

109. By frenchvike on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

All im saying is the I think that aromashodu has excellent potential. big body, and able to make big catches. He shows signs of another sidney rice in the making and hope that the vikes consistently involve him more in the offense. I think he is starter status behind percy