Jared Allen Says Fans Deserve A New Stadium, Too

Posted by Mike Wobschall on September 30, 2011 – 7:10 am

The Vikings will travel to Kansas City this week to battle the Chiefs in perhaps the most raucous atmosphere any NFL stadium has to offer. The Vikings trip to Arrowhead Stadium in 2007 was my first road trip with the Vikings and it remains to this day one of my favorite places to visit, even as an opponent coming to play in a hostile environment.

If you’re a football fan, you can’t help but love a place like Arrowhead Stadium and the atmosphere it generates.

Typically the visiting team buses arrive at the stadium three hours prior to kickoff, which sounds pretty early. But when you arrive to the game three hours early in Kansas City, you’re late to the party. Fans attending games at Arrowhead Stadium have every inch of the parking lot covered with tailgating gear well before the visiting team buses arrive, creating quite the scene for the opposing team as they try to collect their pregame thoughts and focus on the game ahead.

This will be a new experience for many of the Vikings players on Sunday. But not for DE Jared Allen. He’s a fixture on the Vikings defense now, but he began his career as a member of the Chiefs and was obviously a fan-favorite there, too. He knows exactly what an A+ stadium experience can do for fans and, in turn, the home team.

That’s exactly why Allen is a proponent for a new football stadium in Minnesota, where there are hundreds of thousands of football fans who would relish in the type of atmosphere Arrowhead Stadium creates.

Click here to watch a video of Jared Allen talking about a new stadium in Minnesota.

“We have such great fans and they continue to come to the dome,” Allen said on Thursday. “Toward the end of that game last week, you couldn’t hear. It was awesome. We’re watching film, and the camera is shaking. So those are passionate fans and they deserve a stadium more than anything, too. Like I said, you get that kind of atmosphere where you’ve got tailgating, I don’t know, there’s just something about it when you pull up into a parking lot where you can tailgate and really get after it that, as a player, you look forward even more so to home games.”

Allen is well-educated about the stadium issue and even acknowledged some of the hurdles that exist. Ultimately, though, Allen is speaking from personal experience and assured fans that a new stadium would be beneficial because the Vikings current stadium is beyond out-dated and because it would create a better game-day experience for paying customers – the fans.

“I understand. I understand people don’t want to pay more [taxes],” Allen said. “But it’s bad. I’m gonna be honest, The Metrodome is bad. I think we have four showers with hot water down there (in the locker rooms). I think it would be good for the whole state of Minnesota. The fans, trust me, you want a new stadium.”

Tags: ,

57 Responses to “Jared Allen Says Fans Deserve A New Stadium, Too”

1. By Bigfan1 on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

Jared is right on. I went to my first Vikings’ game at the Metrodome this year and had to park in a pay lot several blocks away, then I saw a few people tailgating in a small area next to the dome. Inside the dome it’s small, run down, and extremely crowded, no big state of the art TV screens to catch close up plays. My thought was how could the Vikings put up with this, Minnesota is at least a decade behind the rest of the league. The governor of California signed the new LA stadium bill or authorization right away said they need the jobs and CA is in much more red than MN. I don’t know the particulars but it would seem governor Dayton should push this through quicker the better and with a retractable dome so it can raise revenue all year long hosting the Super Bowl, NCAA bowls, soccer, etc.

2. By DRS on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

Jared Allen, I agree with you my man. We do deserve a new stadium. That dome was/is a piece of s-h-i-t, it never should have been built in the first place, the old Met was better than the dome ever was, the Met was a better event to go to then the dome just for the tailgating, we fans had more fun and a better time in the old Met, that is for sure.

13 games to the Minnesota Vikings move. To where?

3. By DRS on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

Dayton, get the job done now or face a recall my man!

4. By DRS on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

Who is in favor of recalling all Minnesota law makers?

Have a great day?

5. By Ricky on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

Dear Coach,
    I want the Vikings to win again, the losing is driving me nuts! Finish with a touchdown, quick! My dad is so mad, he loves the Vikings, they are his favorite. All my other folks like the Vikings too! Please kick their butts, beat them! Please do it for me coach, please! Thanks Coach!

Ricky

6. By Paul traver on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

Well Jared I would say I agree up to the point that….no body and that means no body wants to invest in anything that doesn’t produce. Start winning and show you need one from the fans jumping on board and having no place to sit in the old stadium!

7. By Dave on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

They better stay in Minnesota. I will cheer for a different team before i cheer for a relocated vikes. By the way, is it true that when a team relocates they have to change their name? I know before when the raiders and rams moved there was no rule but i heard there was a rule in place now. Anybody know?

8. By Jeffbleedspurple on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

Will Paul traver! you can make an investment in the stock market, in time you will find out if you lose your money or profit greatly with it, either way you won’t know the answer to that unless you invest first.

9. By Dave on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

@Paul Traver-Whats it gonna take for a new stadium, a superbowl win or winning a few games? I think we did better than i expected in all games. Yeah we lost all three but i figured our secondary would fail every time. We let them get critical third downs but yards after the catch is like almost nothing. Chris Cook is actually stepping up which i thought was impossible. Our front four is looking impressive again with the same critical issues every year for S and O-line. Look at the pats their o-line keeps Brady safe all day because we all know how much Brady hates getting hit. Its time for a new stadium. Theirs been many attempts and its been pushed back every time. Enough is Enough. i understand it sucks that citizens have to pay a little of it but i feel like its worth it instead of having no team at all. Thats just my opinion though. There are worse off teams in the NFL that dont have stadium woes. We deserve better

10. By Jeffbleedspurple on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

I am not sure about the name change thing, the last franchise to move I believe was the Titans which was the Oilers, I think! Minnesota needs to put a patent on the Vikings name, just in case, the state of Minnesota does something as stupid to let them go, at least LA can’t use Vikings. eeehhhhhh!!!

11. By Dave on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

If a stadium gets passed, i dont care if i have to walk to MN to help build this dang stadium!!!!! I will not a be an LA fan. Now way, now how. I will not support the NFL any longer. Trying to remain confident over this though. Lets get it don!!!! SKOL!!!!

12. By VegasVike on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

Did Tampa get their new stadium before or after they won the SB?

13. By Titus on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

I would prefer a downtown stadium.

14. By Dave on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

The bucs got raymond james stadium in 98. They won the superbowl in 2002

15. By jordan s on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

The only thing i think is bad about the metrodone is that parking sucks and its way to packed when you try to get food and use the bathroom. I love the place and think they just need more seats and a bigger tv and there golden

16. By DRS on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

jordan, the owners will not renew their lease in that dump. Titus there is no room downtown for a great tailgating event. It is time to move to where there is space to be a Viking once more. Besides in my opinion downtown has had its way for too long. If my memory serves me, you cannot buy beer on Sundays in Minneapolis or ST. Paul on Sundays. Minnesota the state of you cannot, we have law; we have no freedoms or Liberties State.

17. By DRS on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

I hope, and p-r-a-y that the state of Minnesota gets it correct this time, and builds the new stadium with a retractable roof so that the stadium will not be the biggest joke in the NFL.

Everyone have a great day.

18. By Dave on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

@ Titus i would prefer some of these people on the stadium websites ive been reading stop b i t c h i n g about having to pay for some of it. Stop crying we all have to pay for stuff we shouldnt have to. Thats life. Better off creating more revenue than just saying its easier to let them move. First they say to add in a roof so it can be a community thing, then we add the roof in and they complain they have to pay more. Theres no winning in this argument. Just shutup and get it done!!!!!

19. By VegasVike on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

So it is possible to get a new stadium when you s u c k

20. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

I’ve been to a few NFL stadiums, and I’ve got to say the Metrodome is by FAR the worst. Even the old Houston Astrodome was better.

21. By Dave on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

Haha the Astrodome. Thats awful. You should just get up to that podium yourself and tell them the astrodome was better. They will HAVE to change their minds

22. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

Dave…..At least the Astrodome had room for about 8 billion tailgaters !

23. By Ted Brown 23 on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

Well said bigman. State Leaders get this DONE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. By Titus on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

One step at a time. Let’s get a win first.

25. By Dave on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

Nova…true that. Sadly i have never gotten a chance to visit the dome but i have heard countless times theres really no room for tailgaters. Thats half of football right there!!!!! In all seriousness i dont even care if we lose every friggin game this year, if we get that stadium done nothing else will matter. Losing a team because of a bunch of lazy politicians that dont want to put in effort is way worse then a team that doesnt put any effort in the second half of games.

26. By New Vike on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

I will tell you I am from Madison, Wi and I had a chance to go to my first Viking game last year. They won, but boy was I dissapointed in the gameday festivities. I have literally been to state championship football games at Camp Randall here in Madison that had more going on! It was sad. When you go to a game you want to take it all in. You wanna hang out in the cold and tailgate, interact with fellow fans, sit where you arent crammed, and most importantly watch a good product on the field! I believe this team has the talent to be competitive so lets get some wins!

27. By Titus on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

I think the MN Zoo has better seating than the dome– more comfortable– the occupants behave similarly, though.

28. By 61vikings on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

It is well over due for a new stadium in Minnesota!! It’s time for everyone in Minnesota to step up and invest into your NFL franchise before it’s to late and you end up like the old Cleveland Browns!! I don’t want to cheer for the LA Vikings but I will!! In your history as a state for professional sports teams, you’ve let the Lakers go and the North Stars go!! Don’t let the Vikings be the next to go because it will be very hard to get an NFL team in the future!!

29. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

Somebody tell me…..there was an earlier post stating that you couldn’t buy beer on a Sunday in Minneapolis-St.Paul…..does this still hold true?

30. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

If that’s true, STAKE ALL THE POLITICIANS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

31. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

I would love to go to a “stake the politicians” tailgate party.

32. By DuaneN on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

Liquor stores are closed on Sunday, you can buy 3:2 at gas stations or whatever. Doesn’t really bother me, I can’t stand drunks. Alcohol ruins a lot of families.

Two things worry me about all this stadium junk. I don’t trust politicians at all. You would think LA would want the Vikings over teams like Buffalo, Jacksonville, St. Louis.

33. By DuaneN on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

Rams do make a lot of sense though. Cali would have two teams in the NFC West.

34. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for the info DuaneN. If the Bills leave, it will be to Toronto. I can’t stand stupid, loud drunks either, but there’s nothing wrong with enjoying a few beers. It’s not the alcohol, it’s the idiots who can’t handle it.

35. By Titus on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

I enjoy a good beer or wine, but honestly rarely drink– I am way past that stage. I do not need a foreign substance to alter my mood for me to enjoy life. I am so so happy I can truly enjoy life. To need a drink is a sad bondage indeed.

36. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

Titus…..what about a domestic substance?

37. By HawaiianBoy_VikingFan on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

Can we get more Vikings players and adamant fans out and about, telling the populous that we need to get a new stadium done in Minny? Mahalo!

38. By Titus on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

Nova, this is a family blog.

39. By jimmy f on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

Thank Mr TIM PAWLENTY for the delay….PUTTS Please do us all a favor and dont run for president…hahahahaha

40. By tdurfeightyeight on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

The Lakers moved to cali,and the Vikings will follow 50 years later…unless you knuckleheads in Minnesota vote for a new stadium,its as simple as that.

41. By ozzinator on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

Pawlenty was a RINO. Didn’t do us conservatives many favors!
    I want a stadium too, but if everybody has to chip in, they deserve the chance to vote on it, everybody. Fair is fair, whether you like the outcome or not.

42. By Rocksalt on Oct 1, 2011 | Reply

One more time DAYTON is not the one holdi ng this up….the REPUBLICAN legislators have not supported the current deal proposed, hence they called for a referendum……….this move basically killed the plan for this year, and, judging by the significant number of REPUBLICAN voters in the subburban twin cites area, they do not want to pay more taxes to support this stadium. PERIOD.
    SO GET OFF OF DAYTON”S BACK!
    THE REPUBLICANS ARE THE PARTY OF NO………..

43. By ozzinator on Oct 1, 2011 | Reply

This state needs a party of NO for a change!

44. By Ted Brown 23 on Oct 1, 2011 | Reply

I can’t belive the go..amned Gophers football team got a football stadium before the Vikings!!! To bad we couldn’t ship the Gophers football team to L.A.

45. By Rocksalt on Oct 1, 2011 | Reply

Ozz-
    The state has had the party of no-Pawlenty……..
    The party of no will say no to the Vikigs and then the team will move to LA, win the Super Bowl on 2016

46. By Jeffbleedspurple on Oct 1, 2011 | Reply

So whats the issue right now? Minnesota does not want to flip the remainder of a roughly 1.1 billion dollar bill at about 350 mil to build an elaborate retractable roof stadium, So what if Ramsey county and the Vikings do it without the states help and spends roughly 750 mill to build a spacious, very beautiful open field stadium which most fans wants anyways! Is there any possibility in something like this happening?

47. By teamkillin on Oct 1, 2011 | Reply

The Vikings won’t be going to LA, and that is a fact. That’s just a bluff owners use to get new stadiums. Though, LA will indeed very likely get a team soon…or two. I heard it through the grapevine that both the Rams and Raiders are gonna move there and share the stadium a la the Jets and Giants.

48. By teamkillin on Oct 1, 2011 | Reply

>One step at a time. Let’s get a win first.
    We’ve been trying to get a new stadium since, like, 2007. We’ve gotten plenty of wins between then and now.

49. By Bigfan1 on Oct 1, 2011 | Reply

Politicians and bureaucrats get your heads out of the sand and pass the bill, don’t let history repeat itself like basketball and hockey, be proactive and do the right thing for Minnesota, jobs, jobs, jobs and future revenue. We all pay federal taxes that are used for things that would curl your hair and many things we don’t want to know about and will never get a benefit from, but this stadium is a tangible product local residents and the out-of-state people can enjoy for generations. Minnesota needs this stadium, the time has come.

50. By DuaneN on Oct 1, 2011 | Reply

Dayton is the worst Rock. Nobody really has a chance these days though, not enough money unless you have oil/gas.

Yeah Nova you’re probably right. I have heard a lot of talk that San Diego and St. Louis will be the teams moving to LA. Toronto Bills sounds really weird, wonder if they would change the name.

51. By nxveryseek on Oct 2, 2011 | Reply

You know, it shouldn’t matter if we get a new stadium or not. Personally I think not……They should be able to play, win and entrance crowds no matter the venue if they’re truly the deserving team they claim to be. Minnesota can’t afford to waste money for a new stadium when we have so many other more important things to focus on…

52. By Jeffbleedspurple on Oct 2, 2011 | Reply

@ nxveryseek : What the BEEP do you think the Vikings are applying for BEEPING welfare? Do you honestly think the state of Minnesota would not get a return on their investment? It’s not a BEEPING give me my foolish friend.
    and yes it does matter! the fans as much as the team want a new stadium for more than 1 reason.
    If any team deserves a new stadium it’s the Vikings, WASTE OF MONEY! YOU’RE A BEEPING FOOL, BEEP BEEP! &^% $***& !@^ BEEPING dork.

53. By Jeffbleedspurple on Oct 2, 2011 | Reply

And one other thing, BEEP BEEPING &&8# ##@ ( *) #@(( And people like you that share in your opinion can all go BEEP the dog,

54. By Jeffbleedspurple on Oct 2, 2011 | Reply

I’m a Minnesota tax payer and I deserve a new stadium, I rather put my few cents on a new stadium than welfare recipients like my lazy and useless daughter and her mother that use/used there state give me monies on their booze and drugs, RROOOOOAAAARRRRR!! GGGGRRRRRRRR!! WASTE OF MONEY! HE SAYS!!

55. By Jeffbleedspurple on Oct 2, 2011 | Reply

You want to talk about another terrible waste of money! I don’t know if you had noticed a trend here in Minnesota in recent years, but I have! and I will be as discrete as possible, but these group of people have come here to Minnesota by invitation, never worked a day in their lives in Minnesota, never paid a penny in taxes, yet! manage new cars, homes and ETC! where do you think these monies comes from my tax paying buddy? next time you want to say something stupid! DON’T!

56. By 68shelby on Oct 2, 2011 | Reply

what the fans deserve Jared is a fricken win

57. By jj on Mar 21, 2012 | Reply