Jared Allen In Top Form As Return To Kansas City Looms

Posted by Mike Wobschall on September 26, 2011 – 2:26 pm

There’s a saying in sports that goes something like “sometimes the best trades are the ones you don’t make.” That saying doesn’t apply to the masterpiece of a trade that Vikings VP of Player Personnel Rick Spielman executed before the 2008 NFL Draft to acquire DE Jared Allen.

The Vikings acquired Allen in exchange for a 1st-round pick, a 3rd-round pick and a swap of 6th-rounders in 2008. The results have been more than worth the price for the Vikings, as Allen posted back-to-back 14.5-sack seasons in 2008 and 2009, and then put up 11.0 more in 2010. He’s earned 3 Pro Bowls in Minnesota, has been a key cog in the outstanding run defense and joined only Reggie White in NFL history as players with 14.5+ sacks in three straight seasons.

Last season, Allen got off to a slow start and had just 1.0 sack through Week 8. But then he went on a tear and registered 4.5 sacks over a two-week span, helping him finish with 11.0 on the season, the 4th consecutive season he recorded double-digit sacks.

This season, though, Allen is off to a great start. He’s recorded at least a .5 sack in each game, extending his streak of games with at least a .5 sack to 5, and last week against Detroit he got to QB Matthew Stafford for a total of 3.0 sacks. Coming into the game, Stafford had not been sacked. The Vikings, with Allen as the leader, changed that quickly and brought him down 5 times during the game.

So Allen is in top form right now and it comes at a great time because he and the Vikings play the Kansas City Chiefs at Arrowhead Stadium on Sunday. Allen spent the first 4 seasons of his career with the Chiefs, and then ran into tougher times with leadership in the organization. The Vikings pounced on the opportunity to grab Allen and the 6-6, 270-pound perennial Pro Bowler has been one of the NFL’s top defensive players ever since.

I expect Allen will downplay his return to Kansas City publically, but I can’t help but wonder if privately this game means more to him than a normal regular season game. Regardless of whom the Vikings are playing, Allen is going to give it everything he’s got. But I have a feeling this week’s game will get his blood boiling with more intensity.

I’m glad I don’t have to block him.

Tags:

159 Responses to “Jared Allen In Top Form As Return To Kansas City Looms”

1. By TonyO on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

The only stat that counts is how many WINS ! Time to right this ship and achieve victory…………..

2. By Shawn on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

@Mike Wobs … I just wanted to say your doing a good job IMO and I think you took on some solid questions today in MMM. I know it will never be good enough for everyone but I enjoy the work you do on Vikings.com. By far one of my top 3 sites. Allow me to rephrase 1 of my top 3 non po’rn sites :) . Hard for anyone to compete with naked chicks :)

3. By Justin F on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

*Tick Tock Tick Tock*

Hear that, guys? It’s the countdown to a 30 point lead loss at the Chiefs. Allen, sack that Grossman TO THE GROUND!

4. By Justin F on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Reverse psychology – We should lose at the half from now on, and save our energy for 3rd and 4th quarter.

5. By Justin F on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

*I mean Cassel, not Grossman

6. By stew on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

How can a team dominate in the first half, then turn around and look like a totally different team in the second half? Do you all realize how hard it is to come back from behind 20-0? They stopped using the best player we have. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. You want mine? This game was rigged! Just like the 2009 NFC championship game. Check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUw9FGCAEIY

7. By VegasVike on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Shawn you are such a redneck lol. And I mean that in a good way, love your ‘tude

8. By Virginia Rudolph on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Since the viking players are only playing half of a great game, it is appropriate for them to donate half of their weekly incomes to the State of Minnesota. May be the incentive required to play great the entire game.

9. By tunamoose on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Frasier and the coaching staff are geniuses!

I have figured out the plan. Let the team know they can dominate by doing so in the first half. Throw the second half so they don’t LOOK so dominant. This will keep the players’ heads in check and minimize media attention. Let them win enough games to make playoffs and then unleash them.

I think they planned on winning one or two of the first 3 games though.

10. By tunamoose on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

….and then I woke up.

11. By Shawn on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

@VegasVike … lol thanx :)

12. By Carl K on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I think the idea behind the Toby Gerhart 4th and 1 play was a good idea but the only problem is we never line Toby up in the fullback postion to block for AP. So it really isn’t going to fool anyone.

I like the idea of Toby in the fullback spot, but I think he needs to block for AP every once in awhile before that quick fullback handoff becomes effective.

13. By Carl K on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I love the idea of handing the ball off to Toby in the fullback position because if we can effectivelly run it out of that formation, we will be able to fake the handoff to Toby and pitch it out to Peterson for big yards. We need to be able to play smash mouth football.

14. By Shawn on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Carl K …. I agree mostly, I mentioned Toby at FB early in a preseason MMM. I think the problem I have with the 4th and 1 call is this, its 4th and 1 and the game is on the line GIVE THE BALL TO YOUR BEST PLAYER and see what happens.

Take Detroit Calvin Johnson is their best player and when the game was on the line for them they just throw the ball up to him covered or uncovered and say MAKE A PLAY CALVIN and he does most of the time.

I think the Gerhart play would of been genius on 3rd and 1 … but not 4th and 1

Peterson is a BEAST a RARE talent and when he is determined to get 1 yard more often then not he will get 1 yard …. Gerhart is good but he is no Adrian Peterson

15. By Shawn on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I would also suggest we give Frazier and Musgrave some time … Im not one for excuses but to suggest firing after 3 games its a bit too much

I also admit after yesterdays loss I was in the emotional / irrational Fire Frazier line … I have left that line and have thought of other coaches

Detroits coach had a 2-14 first season … and Detroit is one of the worst teams all time but ownership and fans are excited about Detroit for the first time since 1 year in the 90s I think it was

16. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Sunshine, Lollipops And Rainbows
    Lesley Gore

Sunshine, lollipops and rainbows,
    Everything that’s wonderful is what I feel when we’re together,
    Brighter than a lucky penny,
    When you’re near the rain cloud disappears, dear,
    And I feel so fine just to know that you are mine.

My life is sunshine, lollipops and rainbows,
    That’s how this refrain goes, so come on, join in everybody!

Sunshine, lollipops and rainbows,
    Everything that’s wonderful is sure to come your way
    When you’re in love to stay.

Sunshine, lollipops and rainbows,
    Everything that’s wonderful is what I feel when we’re together,
    Brighter than a lucky penny,
    When you’re near the rain cloud disappears, dear,
    And I feel so fine just to know that you are mine.

My life is sunshine, lollipops and rainbows,
    That’s how this refrain goes, so come on, join in everybody!

Sunshine, lollipops and rainbows,
    Everything that’s wonderful is sure to come your way
    ‘Cause you’re in love, you’re in love,
    And love is here to stay!

17. By Shawn on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I think every coach deserves 2 years minimum …

the first year just tell everyone how good or bad our team is and then we should see improvement the second year

18. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I’m trying to teach my pet unicorn to sing that so we can appear on “The X Factor”.

19. By Shawn on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

@Nova … lol

20. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

The 2011 Viking’s Fight Song !!!

21. By Shawn on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Heres some things I like about Musgrave …

He has lined Gerhart up at FB

He has lined Joe Webb up at WR

He is willing to pound the rock with AP

One thing I dont like is when he says things that are not true at the press conferances

22. By Shawn on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I think Musgrave takes some heat for McNabb on 3rd and short always trying to hit a guy 30 yards down field …

Has McNabb been tested for depth perception?

23. By Shawn on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Chilly would never have thought of putting Gerhart at FB or Joe Webb at WR

Chilly’s motto was do what I say … Stay the course, and if it doesnt work keep doing it untill it does work

24. By Shawn on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Donovan ” I have no depth perception ” McNabb

Hes not throwing short … he thought thats where the guy was

25. By Mike B on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Heard the press from Fraizer nothing new there. He has the same problems as from game 1. He’s going to fix it. why after 3 of the exactly same outcomes would we believe you would fix it. No more patience here. Turn it around or get off the Bus.

26. By Mike B on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

You don’t work with a 13 yr Vets Throwing Mechanics you tell him throw the ball into the receivers hands or you are going to be benched. That’s it.

27. By Troy on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Go vikes!!! Keep up the good work…

28. By TheRealDon on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I get it now lol teams know that we don’t want to get beat deep so they pick us apart with all the short and middle stuff..yea it took me a whole 2mins to figure that out..

29. By Ronald Meier on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

With all the wonderful stats.of Mike W. One question, did we win this game? spin it baby..

30. By Carl K on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Shawn- I agree that that 4th and 1 was not the time to bring the Toby Gerhart fullback package out of the closet. I also agree with you that I would like to see Gerhart play the fullback position more.

Think about this. Webb fakes the handoff to Gerhart and then Webb has the option to run or pitch to AP. Or even pass from that formation.

Now that that formation is out of the closet… Let’s use it and get creative.

31. By TheRealDon on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Mcnabb & Berrian..are the problems..we can’t go deep why..hmm..and when we do try to go deep..we only do it once a game..it takes more then that..and im so sick and tired of these short wimpy plays..grow a pair will you..and will somebody tell this o line stop with the fall starts and holding..you guys are killing us in the second half..

32. By Canadian Vikes Fan on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Up 17, and then 20 at the half with the best running back in the league makes absolutely no sense. I was giving McNabb the benefit of the doubt before because of his learning the offence and what not, but after yesterday I have to admit he is horrible. Theres a difference between not being on the same page as his receivers, but he is straight up missing throws that any competent QB should be making. Rudolph made an unbelievable catch on one of his awful throws, and I remember him missing a wide open Kleinsasser for a big play and then missing Berrian in the end zone when he FINALLY got separation. The guy just does not have it, I have seen enough of him after 3 games and I’ve had it with his inaccuracy.
    PS shout out to Jared Allen for showing he is still the best rush end in the league

33. By TheRealDon on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I would also love to see Rudolph on the field more..sorry to say it but i do think he is better then Shiancoe nothing against him..but he’s just a whole diff. type of te then shiancoe is..he has way better hands if you ask me..

34. By radzinwisconsin on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Tahi would of gotten that yard!

35. By PAUL M. on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

TO ALL VIKINGS PLAYERS WHO . . . . WELL YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE:

3 GAMES GONE & DONE. IT’S NOW THE TIME TO GET YOUR MINDS & BODIES OUT OF PRE-SEASON MODE.

EACH GAME IS AT LEAST 60 MINUTES LONG AND NO ONE, EVEN AS EARLY AS PEE WEE LEAGUE, EVER PROMISED YOU THAT IT WAS A WALK IN THE PARK TO PLAY THIS GAME.

YOU ARE MILLIONAIRES WHO ARE TREATED LIKE CONQUERING ROMAN GENERALS WHEREVER YOU GO. THE YOUTH OF AMERICA LOOKS UP TO YOU & TREAT YOU LIKE LIVING LEGENDS. YOU ARE IMPORTANT ROLE MODELS TO OUR CHILDREN. AND ALL THIS WHILE DOING WHAT YOU LOVE TO DO.

THE TRUTH: YOU DIDN’T COME INTO THIS SEASON IN AS GOOD SHAPE AS YOUR OPPONENTS.

IT’S TIME TO PAY BACK FOR ALL OF YOUR BLESSINGS. WE WANT THE PLAY OFFS!

36. By Justin F on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Paul, before demanding the playoffs, you should demand to see quality football.

37. By Pinebrigade on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I would rather just get blown out every game then put up with gut wrenching blown leads. This is torturous to watch. Prison camp stuff here.

38. By Alex on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Mcnabb needs to start acting like the leader he once was when he played for Philadlphia

39. By Mike B on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

@Justin If we could get 60 min of football from these guys, I am not sure if we aren’t talking playoffs. They completely stuff a good team for 30min then poof they can’t make a play. It’s like what the heck just happened. They need to work on the long ball, OL needs to improve and play 60 min, need to stop that soft middle at crucial points, and we need to stuff them with AP to increace timo of possession

40. By Bigfan1 on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Go Jared, you’re one of the best.

41. By Mike B on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

lol increase time of possession

42. By Mike B on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

When your best player calls off the field goal team on 4th and 1 you do two things you put the field goal team on anyway and tell your play to sit, or you give the ball to the player and he has the most invested to keep the offense on the field. That’s it.

43. By Daniel on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

1st game, we got run all over and had no use to Harvin. Mcnabb had some really bad throws and poor line calls. Kevin williams was missing and our coverage on gates was bad. really bad. 2nd game Had alot of Berrian faults and no drives. Our secondary slowes way down and Havin was not used right. 3rd game, had some great fire then broke all apart. 2 giant plays by megatron BUT Harvin was not used right, and Mcnabb had throws in the dirt or to the moon everywhere. What I see Is fault in Mainly Mcnabb and secondly bad calls to attack weakness in D. How is this working? Could Cullpepper do better? I am begining to think so. Ponder must be inserted if KC fails. Big time problems need wiped away. FINISH for once PURPLE! We all need this!

44. By James on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

The problem is vikes are not converting in 3rd downs in the 2nd half so you can throw the time of possession away they were stacking 8 in the box second half to stop ap. I guess the vikes tried to fit a square peg in a round hole. The protection was just pathetic they brought more than the vikings can block. The funny thing is this team doesn’t spread and go in shotgun much just predictable 2 tight end sets running the ball, you have got to be a moron to think teams are not going to stack up the line of scrimmage, and rattle mcnabb and the o-line., the key to beating the vikes is keep blitzing and rattle mcnabb he can’t throw under pressure, and the o-line can’t hold up. Coaches can’t gameplan this is poor coaching. I’m sure belechick would of got this team 3-0 by now.

45. By Mike B on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

and of course he is going to back his friend when the coach decides to give the ball to another player. But mentally he knows he would have made it. He was motivated to make it. That’s poor coaching right in your face.

46. By Mike B on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

@James You bring up a good point how many teams use a 3 tight end set on a 3rd and long with a single wide out. Most would go to a 3 receiver set and have the tight end go in the soft middle to see if he can make the first down as a check down. Reason you keep the tight ends in is that your OL can’t pass oover block. Plain and simple.

47. By Mike B on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

This explains why the other teams are having problems until second half as they can adjust to the additional blockers and not cover for the long ball. The other team stuffs the intermediate routes and the run by keeping more defenders in the box. So it is the Offensive Line that is playing poorly and the team is using the tight ends to cover their poor play.

48. By TheRealDon on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

@mike b…yea why don’t we ever get and shotgun and spread teams out..or why when we run we always are in 2 te sets..teams always know when we will run..sorry to say it but the coach’s have the heads up their a’ss with this play calling

49. By TheRealDon on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

*in

50. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I’M ROMOPHOBIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

51. By Titus on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Allen in top form, Sherels shines– I knew it was a great season. You guys were right– the headlines make me feel better.

52. By Mike B on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Slips Titus a rainbow

53. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

This Paul Allen “thoroughbred race ” feature is great. ……”They are at the halfway pole and……..whoops!…looks like our horse just broke a leg !….Drag him off and shoot him.

54. By Titus on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I scanned the above article– not a big fan of Wobbles writing- can’t take the wordiness and cliches, but I love the last line— I am glad I do not have to block Allen. Can you imagine Wobbles lining up across from Jared Allen? Would the verb, “to block” be adequate at such a moment?

55. By Titus on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Made me laugh, and before you jump on me, I know I would not stand a chance. I would step aside and tell Allen to help himself to a portion of quarterback.

56. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Titus, I am with you 100% on your critique of this saccharine c&ap.

57. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Sunshine, Lollipops And Rainbows
    Lesley Gore

Sunshine, lollipops and rainbows,
    Everything that’s wonderful is what I feel when we’re together,
    Brighter than a lucky penny,
    When you’re near the rain cloud disappears, dear,
    And I feel so fine just to know that you are mine.

My life is sunshine, lollipops and rainbows,
    That’s how this refrain goes, so come on, join in everybody!

Sunshine, lollipops and rainbows,
    Everything that’s wonderful is sure to come your way
    When you’re in love to stay.

Sunshine, lollipops and rainbows,
    Everything that’s wonderful is what I feel when we’re together,
    Brighter than a lucky penny,
    When you’re near the rain cloud disappears, dear,
    And I feel so fine just to know that you are mine.

My life is sunshine, lollipops and rainbows,
    That’s how this refrain goes, so come on, join in everybody!

Sunshine, lollipops and rainbows,
    Everything that’s wonderful is sure to come your way
    ‘Cause you’re in love, you’re in love,
    And love is here to stay! ,,,,,,,,,,and Unicorns!

58. By Titus on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Nova, what are the accompaniments to that song? I envision a ukulele and a flute.

59. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

WHY IS EVERYBODY SO “DOWN IN THE DUMPS”? …SHERELS HAD A BIG PUNT RETURN ??????????????????????

60. By TheRealDon on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Sunshine, Lollipops And Rainbows…my new song

61. By TheRealDon on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

yea and are did line played the a’ss off you guys why so serious

62. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Titus, it’s a “hit”, circa 1963. The accompaniments usually include projectile vomiting.

63. By TheRealDon on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

*d line

64. By Jordan on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Jared Allen and Adrian Peterson.. What other players do we have?

65. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

TheRealDon…the song suc&s, but it is very appropriate for this “stay away from any controversy” website.

66. By Titus on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

If every player on the team was like Allen and Peterson, the Lions would still be in Minnesota, at Hennepin County Medical Center, recuperating.

67. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

TheRealDon…..just play it over and over, get a stuffed unicorn to pet, close your eyes and everything’s good…….I got the idea from Mike Wobschall !

68. By TheRealDon on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

NovaScotiaVike..yea i understand..

69. By Titus on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Moss wants to come back to the NFL. Just read it– who was arguing with me a few blogs ago that Moss was done and I told him the way the journalist wrote the article clearly indicated Moss wants to come back. Now I will play an Old School– bow down everyone, I was right.

70. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

My life is sunshine, lollipops and rainbows, unicorns and big punt returns,
    That’s how this refrain goes, so come on, join in everybody!

71. By Titus on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Problem is he wants to be on a winning team. But, on the other hand, he refuses to call any team– he lists 6 he would consider and Vikes are not one of them.

72. By Titus on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Zygi OPEN YOUR WALLET and get Moss to the game in Kansas City.NOW.

73. By Titus on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

SHAWN– where are you? Told you — Moss wants to come back to football. I knew there was no way he wanted to retire without a ring.

74. By Titus on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Or retire with the stigma of last season– not a way to exit a career– no way!

75. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Did I mention that “Jared Allen In Top Form As Return To Kansas City Looms”….WHO GIVES A $HIT???????????

My life is sunshine, lollipops and rainbows, and Jared Allen back in KC,
    That’s how this refrain goes, so come on, join in everybody!

76. By Mike B on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

From the article he doesn’t want to come to a losing team that leaves the Vikings out. I am sure it would take a call from Ziggy and Ziggy telling the team he’s coming and you are going to like it to get a deal done. You might as well forget that.

77. By TheRealDon on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

78. By Shawn on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

@Titus … I heard you calling and why you yelling at me :) I didnt disagree , I would love to have Moss on this team

calm down Moss haters Im too tired to argue tonight

79. By Titus on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Yeah, I agree Mike– we need Zygi to throw a ton of money at him– and to win big at KC and show we can do it. When did I predict Moss to return? Game six?

80. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

TheRealDon…….THAT WAS F”ING HILARIOUS !!!!!!!!!!! GOOD ONE !!!!!!!!!!1

81. By TheRealDon on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

NovaScotiaVike ..I just had to go hear it one time lol..well maybe 2 times if you add this one…

82. By Shawn on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

@Nova and TheRealDon …. ROTFLMFAO

83. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Was that Wobscall driving?

84. By TheRealDon on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

NovaScotiaVike..I don’t know but that was me in the back i was sad then the song made me forget that we are 0-3

85. By Shawn on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

that is the greatest viking theme song ever … they should play that instead of the zeppelin song :)

and by ever i mean this season

86. By Shawn on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

if only we could hack into the viking PA pregame next home game … that would be the greatest

87. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

SEE TRD>>>>IT WORKS !!!!!!!!!!!! LOLOLOLOL

88. By TheRealDon on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I mean just imagine this song coming on when the team comes out the tunnel they would be fired up and happy after halftime

89. By Woodboat on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

There is NO way Moss is coming back to Minn. Why would he? He was humiliated the last time he was here, getting fired by Chilly. I’m not saying he didn’t deserve the sack, but I’m sure Randy doesn’t think so. Perhaps he was even TRYING to get sacked.

Even if he had left on good terms, why would he want to come back to this team? McNabb couldn’t hit him with the ball on deep routes and that’s really the only thing Moss is good for. He is just average on short and intermediate routes. I’d take Harvin over Moss on those.

In short, as long as McNabb is at the helm, we don’t need to hire a deep threat.

90. By Titus on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Shawn, I am not yelling AT you, I am calling for reinforcements. It is no secret you have a crush on Moss. Let’s make this happen.

91. By TheRealDon on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

@woodboat..kinda right there..plus i would really love to see what ponder to do next..it’s a perfect time to play him..

92. By Woodboat on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I don’t think this song is appropriate for a pregame jaunt onto the field by our team. How DARE you suggest such a thing!?!??! Have you no PRIDE, no RESPECT for our TEAM!?!??!

(It would be perfect as background music during Fraziers pressers….)

I think we should have a live performance by the Wiggles next homegame. Maybe we can even enlist our good ol’ friend Barney the Dinosaur to sing for us…

“I love you, you love me…..”

93. By Shawn on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I am very tired tonight … have that getting the flu feeling just wore down, so I am useless for that fight

94. By Shawn on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

@Woodboat … lol, also a good idea

95. By Titus on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Okay, Shawn, just relax and Barney will read the blog to you.

96. By TheRealDon on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Woodboat..i see someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today..it’s called a joke..i know you where the party popper in school..

97. By Woodboat on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Hey, Shawn, I’m in your corner… just touch my hand, bro! I GOT this…

Calling for reinforcements, Titus? Come on, man, I expect better from you. You know having Moss wouldn’t help this team. He’s a cancer when he isn’t happy and we don’t have the QB to make him happy. Berrian got targeted a handful of times last game and even Moss couldn’t have laid a finger on any of Donovans throws….

98. By TheRealDon on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Woodboat..no no take that back didn’t read your whole post

99. By Woodboat on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

TRD….LOL

Sorry, I meant to type that in sarcasm font!!!! I was joking as well… I was hoping everyone would catch on by the end of the post :)

100. By Titus on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I am hoping for something, anything to make us win. PAAAAAAAAAAAAALLEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE— that is the horn sound after halftime.

101. By Woodboat on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

ARGH, beat me to it!!! lol

102. By TheRealDon on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Woodboat..no no take that back didn’t read your whole post..

103. By Shawn on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

@Titus … Thanx

@Woodboat … In no way am I against Moss’s return

84 life BBM

Goodnight all

104. By Woodboat on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

@ Titus….

I was watching the game with my dad, brother, and his sons this weekend. We were all saying the exact same thing. “Ok, just end the game here at halftime! Quick, someone turn off the TV!!!”

If only that would work….. :(

105. By TheRealDon on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

maybe if the league adds 2 games..and also only play 2 quarters..then we will be the best team in the nfl..

106. By Mike B on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

107. By Woodboat on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

G’Night Shawn….

I’m a Moss fan, as well. I just don’t want him back if he’s gonna be grumpy….

108. By Mike B on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

just incase you all forgot how the long ball is suppose to look like

109. By Woodboat on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

My favorite Moss play of all time was when he came back for the deep pass to about the 15 yard line (or so), and after the catch and while being tackled, flipped the ball over his head to a streaking Robert Smith who blazed it in for 6. My favorite play of all time, period.

110. By Woodboat on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

@ Titus…

I think that if KC can’t make us win, nothing can….

111. By Mike B on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Wow He could catch the ball.

112. By James on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Its funny how they said keep feeding ap the ball, when he was getting tackled for losses 2nd and long situations all 8 defenders were hawking ap the whole way. The analyst got it all wrong this team lacks explosive passing plays, no protection. You think teams are just going to get out of 8 man fronts, since the vikes can’t pass why not crowd 8 in the box. I really thought musgrave was going to bring some dynamic punch to this offense but it feels like this offense has taken steps back no rhythm on offense, Until the vikings can throw and be effective downfield than ap can finish of games right now teams are daring the vikings to throw it.

113. By Mike B on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

@James You need a OL that can p a ss block in a 3 step drop you have to have talented receivers that can get down the flied with regularity and catch the ball. When they go 8 in the box , you have to go down field with the pass and make the play to keep them honest. Our WRs are not causing any team a concern. We can’t go deep.

114. By Titus on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I just read McNabb is going back to basics– Frazier saying his mechanics need to be evaluated — finally. YES, maybe there is hope. Now bring in Moss and Owens.

115. By DuaneN on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

The problem to me with the 4th and 1 play is that AP and Toby are both running to the right. Have them both even side by side. This way the run could be anywhere. Once AP took a step to the right it was obvious which side we were going. You could see like 3 Lions slam to their left when this happened.

116. By James on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

yeah we lack deep pass

117. By Titus on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Moss

118. By Vikesgassedby halftime on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Paul M. – you are absolutely correct. This Vikings team is in terrible physical condition! They are gassed by halftime and the other team has their way with them in the 2nd half. That is the only possible explanation for this Vikings team’s pathetic play in every second half! This Vikings team is totally unprofessional and has no heart or soul.

119. By James on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Why not put musgrave in the booth, I’m sure the field vision is better on the booth. The only coach I praise is preifer, give poor sherals some playing time he’s been making plays and seeing the bench. Frazier I thought you were going to utilize players.

120. By James on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Vikes need to play more 3-4, I saw couple 3-4 plays on defense, more hybrid defense.

121. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

This Blog is sunshine, lollipops and rainbows,
    That’s how this refrain goes, so come on, join in everybody!

122. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

Sunshine, Lollipops And Rainbows
    ….Mike Wobschall

Sunshine, lollipops and rainbows,
    Everything that’s wonderful is what I feel when we’re together,
    Brighter than a dropped first down,
    When you’re near the defence disappears, dear,
    And I feel so fine just to know that you will rip our secondary !

My life is sunshine,bl0wing big leads at half-tiime
    That’s how this refrain goes, so come on, join in everybody!

Sunshine, lollipops and rainbows,
    Everything that’s wonderful is sure to come your way, if you believe this sh1t today!!

My life is sunshine, lollipops and rainbows,
    That’s how this refrain goes, so come on, join in everybody

123. By Dave on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

I picked up Matt Cassell and Dwayne Bowe on my fantasy and they havent done $#*@!. Should i start them now that they are playing the Vikings? we better not lose this game because if we lose AND Cassell and Bowe get points, i will be really upset because im not starting them.

124. By Rocksalt on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

RIGHT ON NOVA!
    Who the h3ll cares about meaningless stats if we vlose every game.
    Someone mentioned earlier:
    half pay for half effort……that would perk some sppoiled millionaire athlete ears up!
    Also. Fans are imploring players to step it up………I a gree, but isn’t that the coaches job? What are the coiaches getting paid to do if they cannot get their team going?????
    People will cling to the very last shred of optimisim, only to not see the reality.

125. By Rocksalt on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

Another thing-
    Gerhart has done little for us………….
    Our tight ends? Under utilized…
    WR? Well……..I beleieve there has been enough sadi about them
    McNabb? Horribly inaccurate

126. By Rocksalt on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

need to change vikings tag to “Old Man and the Sea”…….considering our penchant forl old washed up QBs

127. By Jeffbleedspurple on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

I did some looking on the 2008 draft, that #1 pick that we gave for Allen, it would appear if we had kept it, Joe Flacco would have still been on the board, things that make you go hhhmmmm!!! Anyways I think Allen is awesome for our team.

128. By Carl K on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

Sunshine, lollipops and halftime marsh mellow melt downs,
    Everything that is wonderful is soft and fluffy.
    Bright and funny is our Oline of clowns
    When you have a big lead my head gets all puffy
    And when the lead disappears I hide my face in the ground

129. By Carl K on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

I can’t stomach any more of the McMarsh-mellow-melt-down.

130. By Rocksalt on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

AP, arguably the best RB in NFL has a TOTAL of 66 yds in combined 2nd half of last 3 games. WHY? AP is not at fault, we know he is good.

131. By Rocksalt on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

HomeSportsVikings/NFL
    McNabb’s accuracy an issue
    Article by: KENT YOUNGBLOOD , Star Tribune Updated: September 26, 2011 – 10:40 PM
    The quarterback has been inconsistent, particularly on third down.

. In what sounded like a bit of a mixed message, Vikings coach Leslie Frazier said veteran quarterback Donovan McNabb has done “some good things.” But the coaches are also going to work with McNabb on his mechanics in practice this week to improve his accuracy.

OK WHY THE H#LL DO WE NEED TO WORK ON A VETERAN QB MECHANICS!!!!LOL!!!!!!!IF HE HASN’T LEARNED BY NOW>>>>>>>>>>

132. By Rocksalt on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

LETS WORK ON PONDERS MECHANICS…….

133. By Jeffbleedspurple on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

I agree with that comment salt! if McNabb has accuracy issues as a 13 year veteran, who in their right mind thinks that they can actually teach it now? don’t waste effort on the old dog, teach the new dog old tricks, put in Ponder.

134. By Bigfan1 on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

It never ceases to amaze me all the chaff for fans out there exercising their right to free stupidity, someone made the comment we only have one good player, another one the Vikes are done, another one fire all the coaches. These are the people who wouldn’t sit outside in 10 degree weather at the old Met stadium to watch the team play. I’m ecstatic to see them blown away by the wind. First of all reason takes the clear lead, the Vikings have a lot of great players, remember one year we had 11 players go the pro bowl, the most of any team. Percy Harvin rookie of the year a few years ago, AP best RB in the league, and Heisman runner up RB Toby G, etc. etc. etc. Jared Allen the leader of the D is an animal who lead the D to humiliate the first 3 teams of the season in the first half. It could be some guys let it go to their heads and lightened up and part on the coaches. Remember other great teams let first half leads wither away also like the Patriots this past weekend. Coach of the Pats gave an explanation similar to Frazier. A lot of teams that look great now had bad years when a new coach took over like the Packers, Lions, and Bears, etc, etc. This may be one of those years or two, as painful as it’s been and we’ll all used to the Vikes winning we need to think long term.

135. By Jeffbleedspurple on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

No one here can say certain players didn’t give full effort, Allen, Peterson, Robinson, Harvin, just to name a few, McNabb would be a good half effort player, then you have no effort Barrian, the last 2 mentioned can hit the road and collect unemployment as far as I am concerned.

136. By Jeffbleedspurple on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

@Bigfan1: I would love to sit outside in 10 degree weather and watch the Vikes play again, I have no problem bringing coffee to the games and who needs a HOT dog and a beer? and I agree, we really can’t expect Frazier to come in and rip up the NFL his first year, but he needs to grow a pair with hair and start by sitting McNabb and Berrian.

137. By Carl K on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

It was nice to see Devin Aromashodu get a catch. I would start Devin over Berrian. And I would see what Ponder and Webb can do.
    Worst thing that can happen is we gain a high draft pick next year.

Matt Kalil left tackle from USC would be a great high 1st round draft pick.
    WR Justin Blackmon and DB Dre Kirkpatrick are also top ten picks that could really help our team next year.

What is the point of playing McNabb?

138. By Jeffbleedspurple on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

@ Carl K: It’s believed that McNabb and Berrian will suddenly and without notice have breakout seasons and lead us to victory after victory, but secretly it’s known continue with these 2 clowns and we can be assured to draft that LT from USC and maybe even win the Luck lottary.

139. By hippster on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

mcnabb sucks pay him to sit and watch the coaches work on ponders mechanics. to sit ponder so he can watch and learn how to lose from a loser is a loseing situation. get it. we need football players with heart.

140. By James on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

The problem is the o-line plain and simple, for some odd reason this position gets ignored every year charlie johnson and loadholt are struggling and can’t protect. Bench both loadholt and johnson sign someone.

141. By James on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

Frazier gave ponder the backup job without him showing anything, still don’t get how ponder is ahead of webb.

142. By Rocksalt on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

for certain, one team will have its first win next week

143. By Hothouse on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

Bench McNabb after the first half and play Ponder or Webb. Let’s see what these kids can do. Been in Missouri the last two weeks and didn’t see any of the last two games. KC fans can’t wait till this weekend. They are saying they will get their first win. Let’s disappoint them.

144. By Vikesfansincefifties. on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

I agree with the Frazier. The problem’s not McNabb. He’s not turning the ball over. He doesn’t have a deep threat with which to stretch the field and keep the opposition D honest. He’s just running what he is told to run. Sure, he could be better, but he’s not the problem The Defence is not the problem They have been lights out in the firts half of 3 straight games. Can’t expect them to spend 90% of the 2nd halve on the fild with poor filed position thanks to the offense. THE PROBLEM IS MUSGRAVE. My problem is why can’t Frazier see it? Does he have no input into the offense at all? Clue Bill into the fact this is AP’s team. Give him the ball. I don’t care if they put 9 in the box. Eventually AP will open up the field for the rest of the offense. Frazier stop protecting your coaching staff. I would prefer if you said nothing to the media rather than feed us with comments like ‘ We have to analyze our strategy of not giving the ball to AP in crucial 3rd and 4th down situations and getting away from him in the second half’.’ C’mon man. Get a deep threat. Look at Arceneaux from the practise squad, utilze Webb, go out and sign someone. DO SOMETHING. Start acting like a head coach and take control. This team can still make the playoffs.

145. By James on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

You don’t keep feeding ap the ball when 8 are in the box, that is why this team is losing you box 8 against the run you are suppose to take the long shots down the field instead this team is one dimension. You are not going to win games not throwing deep down field and scoring points. What good does it do if you peterson is held for losses and can’t convert on 3rd downs. You have to throw down field take advantage of the 8 in the box, musgrave is too slow to figure that out. If you can’t secure a 20 point lead what makes you think you can win with just ap pounding the ball, that means more time of possession less points and since the vikings struggle in the redzone. Teams will just outscore the vikings everytime because the vikings cant score a lot of points. This team can probably score 24 at max right now. If this team was playing the patriots ap will do no good the pats will just blow up the scoreboard it would be too late to run it while you are behind and this defense can’t play a full 4 quarters.

146. By NJVikesFan on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

AP is the best back in the league, but until we get consistent knock-you-on-ur-butt play from our OL, we will continue to see 3 and outs in crucial situations, no matter who is at QB and how many times we try to give the rock to AP. That said, we also haven’t had a true “shut the other guy down” defense in a long time, especially in crucial situations (think 1998 Falcons and 2009 Saints) when we need a key stop. Frazier inherited some talent, but he is no miracle worker (that much is clear), and we know McNabb is no Tom Brady(that is WAY clear), so just drink more alcohol during the games and try to manage your expectations long-suffering Vikings fans..remember, we’ve had over 50 years of experience dealing with gut-wrenching disappointment!

147. By DieHardViking on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

its not to late you guys we are only going into week 4….i beleive we can make a turnaround here go VIKES!

148. By George on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

LOL!!!!!!!

149. By Pud Grand on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

The ghost of Howard Cosell told me that it will be a “REMATCH OF SUPER BOWL IV!”

150. By VikesfaninN.O. on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

@Stew….I checked that link out and all I can say is I don’t know that I buy into that “rigged” theory but it does have me raising my eyebrows though. I too am like this is not a coincidence the way we lost the games in the manner in how we lost the games I mean we lost the same way for 3 games does make you raise your eyebrow…LOL!!….I mean think about it…the last 2 NFC Championship game Brett Favre started he made the same mistake throwing a pick at the end of the game and THAT team won the Superbowl that is no coincidence….LOL!!…We are not that bad a team to lose 3 games the same ways there is something to ponder about that “rigged” theory. I do like what one other fan said its all in the plan win just enough to get into the postseason and when we get to the playoffs the first half team will be playing like that all the way to win the Superbowl..never mind winning the division focus on the Superbowl……Skol Vikings!!

151. By DakotaThor on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

I have been a die hard Viking fan since I was 9 years old (1969) so I have suffered a lot of heart ache for this team. In 2009 I was diagnosed with Leukemia after 6 mo of chemo immediatly followed by horrible reaction to a nerve medication I figured with all this suffering maybe I will be rewarded with a Viking Super Bowl, well we know that did not happen, since the cancer did not take me and I got better we know how the 2010 season went. Now that I am almost back to normal they can’t even finish a game. So I must apologize to all the rest of the Viking fans it appears you will have to wait until I die before they will ever make it back to the Super Bowl.

152. By Rocksalt on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

God Bless You DakotaThor…………..

153. By paul on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

What number does McNabb wear when he’s playing defense and giving up 26 points in the 2nd half?

154. By Rocksalt on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

number loser in 2nd half ………check the stats

155. By sdvikfan on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

get rid of berrian(scared of his own shadow) and johnson(to small for that position). i think we all know why the bears and the colts got rid of them. coach stop playing favorites. your acting like tice did. there all my friends. keep them on talent and performance. not friendships. lots of good players chomping at the bit out there. waiting for there chance. geez!

156. By Adam on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

For a couple plays, they should throw Jared Allen in on offense as a TE and pass him a TD strike against his old team!

157. By Arrow86 on Sep 28, 2011 | Reply

Wow! Why not let Frazier go. Here is my logic on it. When the Vikings have been behind in past years in the second half of a game, the Vikings coaches have justified it by saying “We were behind, we had to pass the ball.” Now, we have double-digit leads, and we can’t figure out how to get him the ball?? If I were a defensive player opposing the Vikings, behind by 10 points, I’d buy Coach Frazier and Musgrave a steak dinner at Murray’s if they limit A.P. to fewer than 10 plays in the second half. What a bunch of clowns managing a ball game. If I were one of the Wilf’s, before signing A.P. to a long-term contract, I would want assurances that the coaches had a plan to use him. Otherwise, let him play where his tools can be put to good use.

158. By jacob on Sep 28, 2011 | Reply

Pretty sure they gave up a first and TWO third round picks.
    Also to say it was great trade you have to look at both sides of the equation. What did those picks amount to for KC.
    They got there current starting left tackle Branden Albert in the first and pro bowl runningback Jamaal Charles in the third.
    Pretty even trade IMHO.