A Look At The Lions

Posted by Mike Wobschall on September 21, 2011 – 6:14 am

Today is Wednesday, and that means the focus on vikings.com and at Winter Park will shift to preparing for this Sunday’s game against the Detroit Lions. We’ll delve into further detail about the Lions over the next few days, but here are a few basics…

– These are not the Lions of the recent pass. Head Coach Jim Schwartz’s group is no longer the perennial doormat of the NFC North. They are 2-0 on the young 2011 season and they’ve done it in style, outlasting the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 27-20 on the road in Week 1 and then throttling the Kansas City Chiefs 48-3 at Ford Field last weekend.

– You can’t help but notice and be impressed by Detroit’s offense through the first two games, specifically QB Matthew Stafford. The Lions chose Stafford with the #1 overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft and now that pick is paying massive dividends. He has completed 65.3% of his passes for 599 yards with 7 TDs and 2 INTs, which adds up to a passer rating of 112.0. The Lions rank 2nd in the NFL in scoring with 37.5 points per game, have yet to give up a sack and they’re +6 in turnover margin.

– As well as Stafford is playing this season, the Lions have actually maintained a pretty good offensive balance. Of their 9 TDs this season, 7 are through the air and just 2 are on the ground. But, Detroit has called the 4th-most rushing plays and just the 13th-most passing plays. While they’re averaging just 3.3 yards per rush, they are at least sticking with the run enough to have a balanced attack.

– Where Detroit becomes a bit unbalanced, though, is in critical situations such as 3rd downs and the red zone. The Lions have had 26 third-down snaps and 22 of those snaps have been passes (84.6%). They’ve also had 32 red zone snaps and 20 of them have been passes (62.5%). So Detroit can be pretty pass-heavy in big situations, but how can you blame them for that with Stafford pulling the trigger and superstar WR Calvin Johnson out there running routes?

– Defensively, the Lions are mostly very good to solid. They are the NFL’s 7th-ranked defense in yards allowed and the 2nd-ranked defense in points allowed. They are also ranked 7th in pass defense (allowing 187.5 yards per game) and they’re tied with Baltimore for the League lead in takeaways with 8.

– From a personnel standpoint on defense, the top group is the defensive line. Ndamukong Suh is quickly developing into an elite DT; in fact, he’s probably already elite. And then coming off the edge the Lions have Kyle Vanden Bosch, who already has 2.0 sacks this season. Fifth-year LB Justin Durant leads the team in tackles, CB Chris Houston has 2 INTs on the season and you always have to watch S Louis Delmas, who is aggressive in run support and always seems to be around the ball.

– The one vulnerability I see in this defense is in the run game. The Lions are yielding 4.6 yards per carry and 103.5 yards per game, which ranks 23rd and 13th in the NFL, respectively. The Vikings, meanwhile, rank 3rd in yards per carry with a 5.8-yard average and 3rd in yards per game with a 172.5-yard average. Also, Detroit’s two opponents have logged just 22.5 rushes per game, while the Vikings have averaged 29.5 rushes per game so far. I expect the Vikings to challenge the Lions with Adrian Peterson and Toby Gerhart early and often to see if Suh and Co. can hold up against a powerful ground game.

– Last week the Lions defense allowed just 3 points to the Kansas City Chiefs, an impressive display no doubt. But consider this…Chiefs star RB Jamaal Charles was lost for the game (and, subsequently, the season) at the end of the first offensive series. Prior to Charles leaving the game, Kansas City ripped off runs of 24, 8, 24, 5 and 3 yards (12.8 yards per carry).

145 Responses to “A Look At The Lions”

1. By David on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Seems hard to look at the lions, consider the match-up with the vikings and walk away with any way to think this game will give the vikings the most remote chance to win. Let’s face it, after all these years, we will have to bow down to the lions, and it will sting – a lot.

2. By Bigfan1 on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

It’s not going to be pretty.

3. By suhnami_inminn on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Its time for the ROAR…DOWN GOES MCNAB….DOWN GOES PONDER….DOWN GOES WEBB

4. By New Vike on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Don’t lose faith just yet. Doesn’t anybody notice the shotty run defense in Detroit? The Vikes have their backs against the wall so I expect them to come out swinging with something to prove. If they fall to 0-3 it’s lights out and we can all start talking about next year. If the Vikes can get one at home against Detroit then they head out to KC where that team is a mess and have a good shot at rebounding to 2-2. It’s too early to shut the curtain on the Vikes after 2 games. If the Vikings can play all 4 quarters they have a very good shot at winning this weekend. It’s been a tale of two halfs for this team and I think the first half is where this team is closer to than the 2nd half. I’m pickin my shot right here, Vikes win 27-20! AP has a huge day!

5. By Mike Wobschall on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Finally, some positivity and independent thought up in here. Thanks New Vike!

6. By Woodboat on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Well, Wobs… the Vikes haven’t exactly given us much to feel positive about.

When a team completely collapses in the face of adversity… twice…

When the things we were all the most concerned with … O Line, DB play… weren’t addressed and are glaringly present again…

why should we be positive?

The NFL network guys are blasting the same things we are here. It isn’t like we are bringing up subjects that aren’t well known. The O Line is junk and has a low percentage chance of improving, and unless the defensive scheme changes (unlikely mid-season) our pass defense is going to be horrible (again) all season. IN a pass happy league, that spells disaster.

Reality sucks, huh?

7. By Vikings4Life on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

It’s going to be a long day for mcnabb, a long long day.

8. By Mike B on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

@Woodboat You need to have a deep threat Receiver as well too and none of the Vikings WR core are that deep threat. They don’t scare anyone even if McNabb had time to throw a deep ball. Our opponents know we want to run the ball and have stated several times that’s the team we are. The run comes from the pass and vice versa. You stop the run you stop the pass unless you can go deep. Teams that don’t have a running game have the ability to go deep down the field. 2010 GB is an example of a poor run team making it to the superbowl. The NFL is becoming a Pass game and running comes from the ability to pass. You have to have a Defense that can hold the other team to less points than you can make also. The rest of what you point out is spot on too. Take care

9. By Mike B on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

@Mike W I don’t understand why you are not one of the critics. The team played to good teams and had them beat. You could see it in Rivers eyes and I am sure Tampa had the same look coming out of the half. I don’t know about how tampa looked as I was listening to the game on the radio. The point is these teams were beat. Our players layed down and got beat in the second half of both of those games. Pretty hard to be optimistic about that and pretty hard to give Fraizer the patience he as asked for. He cuts a player with potential and not a starter that is not performing to expectations. If the coach wants to wake up the team cut a starter that’s not playing to potential that will get the troops motivated. I think objectivity and looking outside the organization would be key to understand the fans frustration. Thanks

10. By Titus on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Beating the Lions will be huge– it will help our confidence and then we will go to KC and annihilate them– I suspect we will beat the Packers too.

11. By Frederick Jones on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

There was an interesting article by Barry Wilner recently.

See next blog…

12. By Frederick Jones on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

The Colts, Cheifs, and Seahawks are all defending division champions. Both teams started out 0-2.

St. Louis and Miami are also 0-2. Miami has started out 0-2 in five of the last six seasons.

See next blog…

13. By Frederick Jones on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

That NY Giants team I was talking about was 0-2 in 2007, they went on to win the Super Bowl.

To be continued…

14. By Frederick Jones on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

22 teams made the playoffs after starting put 0-2 since 1990.

So…my fine feathered friends….stay tuned.

14 games left…do not get discouraged.

It ain’t over until the fat lady sings.

15. By HAEDTER on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Bring back Sharper !!

16. By Jeffbleedspurple on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

I like to be optimistic as well as realistic, there needs to be big changes if we are to expect a different outcome than the past 2 weeks, on the optimistic side I say we have a chance, if we can manage to play 4 full quarters. but my realistic side says we don’t stand a chance and it’s a very good thing that Fairley ain’t playing yet.

17. By Mike B on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

I put in my picks for week 3 and I picked the Vikings over the Lions. I am hoping for home field cooking to get us a W in the metrodome. Let’s see what happens. I may not get to see or hear it as I am in Packer country. :(.

18. By Titus on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Fred Jones– I have been posting like crazy how it is way too early to give up. I mentioned numerous times the Giants– they were 0-2– and they lost by 22 points in their home opener to Green Bay— 35-13. But the Giants went on to kill the perfect 16-0 Pats in the Superbowl. Numbers mean little right now– 2 losses– so what? We looked good in a lot of ways– we dominated both games in the first half- so we can do it. An 0-2 team beating the only 16-0 perfect team ever in the Superbowl– well, anything is possible.
    Bring on the negativity everyone– and enjoy your day. I choose to be positive.

19. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Mike Wobs ……those horns you are showing belong to unicorns.

20. By Kraemermemphisfans on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Newike nailed it, all yal doubters are little girls. were 0-2 go cry about it im sure itl help our team. we will be fine

21. By VegasVike on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Mike W, the record of this team does not change my lifestyle one bit. I can toss down an opinion with zero consequences, just the same as 99.99% of the people who comment. We’re enthusiasts, the ones that can choose to purchase tickets, apparel and collectables. So when we get turned off by a team, we can quit supporting it. The team and coaches need to understand that our frustration will eventually affect THEIR pay, not ours. So if we kept our poor opinions to ourselves and acted like everything was rosy I don’t think they would like the eventual outcome. PS, I haven’t bought anything purple this year.

22. By Frederick Jones on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

@Titus,

Was that really you asking to get Randy Moss back?

Are you saying all of the other 31 teams are wrong?

23. By David P on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

I was happy with the vikings played at times, but without a deep threat opposing defenses will put 9 in the box and that is very hard to run against. I will watch again this week with fingers crossed. We will wait and see.

24. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Vegas……as for the showgirls, no redheads please !

25. By New Vike on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

2 close games to good teams is not the end of the world and every good team must face adversity to further grow and gel. I suspect this team is due for a big game this sunday. I know that they have been out scored 41-3 in the 2nd half and that needs to stop! But on the positive side, they have outscored opponents 34-7 in the 1st half. If these guys put together 4 quarters in a row than they are capable of winning football games. May the horn blow loud and often this sunday, and the winning streak start!

26. By VegasVike on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

An ostrich puts his head in the sand, not NFL fans.

27. By Titus on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Fred, you contradict yourself. You, like me, refuse to give up on this season, even though the wave of popular blogger nation opinion bashes vehemently against us.
    Are we wrong because we are in a minority? So, 31 teams passed on Moss-Fred, if you are consistent, you will take the minority report.

28. By VegasVike on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

I hope strawberry blonde is ok? Otherwise I can put her back….

29. By Titus on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

A cow hides in the comfort of group mentality, blending in with the spotted ones. An eagle flies with a different vision. Ostriches and cows are related.

30. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Vegas, that’s fine. I don’t want to see you have to pay a re-stocking charge.

31. By DRS on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Frederick Jones, do you think this team is as good as the teams you talk about; you have to be a good team to overcome a bad start. Do you think they can do this? Can they overcome their tendencies? History is not in their favor. What U say?

32. By DRS on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Fourteen games to the Vikings move.

33. By DRS on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Where is the bill to build the new stadium?

34. By Jeffbleedspurple on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

I really don’t think any Viking fan is sticking their heads in the sand, My wife last week bought me a ” Vikings #1 dad shirt ” and I wore it last Sunday with my 31 year old Vikings hat, no shame there, what’s funny is i’m not even a dad. it said Vikings on it so I wore it. The only talk I don’t like is when fans say the Vikings suck so bad that they should just leave Minnesota, but when they talk about negative things as I do, it’s because the outcome was negative, that puts little regard to the positive side of things, like the 1st half of the games.

When the ending results are positive I am sure comments will be more positive

If your wife kissed you in the 1st half and kicked you in the sacks the 2nd half, which will you recall most, the positive kiss or the negative kick? SEE!!

35. By Saddy on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Kraemermemphisfans, We don’t cry about it we know the outcome, in red zone our team chokes, you dont have an atheltic tall WR who can compete for the ball in the end zone, Sidney Rice can do this, he is not here, so we evaluate the team we have, you can get into the red zone easily with the offense we have but cannot get 7 points, on the defense side we are so soft in the middle they kill us in each and every drive.

So we are not the one who are crying because we know whats going to happen this Sunday, until Rick Spielman and the team management gets some big players we are going to be that team where you can wait for 10 games to get a win.

My expecations with this team are not high and you are going to see this Sunday.

36. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Jeffbleedspurple…….You must know my ex-wife !!!!!!!!!!

37. By VegasVike on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

That was deep Titus…. My point being it seems no one affiliated with the team acknowledges their weak points. All they ever do is praise the things they did right. maybe it’s different behind closed doors. But I think the fans have the right to know plus it would give the needed hope that things could change.

38. By Jeffbleedspurple on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

You should had made sure to brought her to those games that you knew the Vikes would win NovaScotiaVike, or was it the Vikings winning that got you kicked in the sacks?

39. By DRS on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Mike Wobschall, if the Vikings live up to their abilities they win, but will they is what us the fans worry about.

40. By VegasVike on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

JeffBP-the ostrich comment was the Vikings not the fans. I wear my Vikings stuff too, I said I hadn’t purchased any this year.

41. By Titus on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Vegas– I agree with that one– if you look at the day of the San Diego loss, I blogged about that for 24 hours– some accountability please. Totally agree– make the tough choices and do it. But I will say, it is too early to give up– if we go 0-4, yeah, then we are in serious trouble. Ever been around someone who constantly complains and whines about life? All you want to do is run from that person— I think the blog has enough negativity (and the world)– I am not denying what is wrong, I just choose to not let it affect my attitude– or my speech.

42. By New Vike on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Of course the fan base wants better players, the majority of fanbases want better players, but that is out of every fans control. I am not saying that you have to be positive all the time, but lets not bag our faces cuz we lost 2 games. I am hoping for another fast start and the defense to actually make adjustments in the 2nd half to sure up the middle of the field or take a few risks to hurry Stafford into some mistakes. He seems to be coming into his own but the dude has played in like 9 games in 2 years, he is still inexperienced and our D needs to show up and capitalize. If we get one and then get to play KC, the outlook becomes much better about this team. We don’t have the big bodied athletic WR, we know that, so dont cry for Moss, or TO, get the ball to Kyle Rudolph, or throw a lob up to Mike Jenkins, the dude is 6’4 and can jump. Give it a shot!

43. By VegasVike on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

There you go Titus, “accountability” – I’m not negative either (although it may sound like it) however I am realistic. I am also not a world class writer.

44. By DelawareDan on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

The dynamic in the locker room at the half MUST change.
    If the vikings can go to San Diego and lead by 10 at the half, and lead TB by 17 at the half, this team can win now.

The coaching staff needs to learn to adjust at the half, and the players need a swift kick in the butt as well. If it happens again this week, the season is over.
    I’m taking the vikes at home, but I’m not confident the coaching staff will figure it out.

45. By VegasVike on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

And Jeff, if your wife is kicking you in the noogies it’s time to make some choices. Unless you like that sort of thing

46. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Jeffbleedspurple…….didn’t matter either way to her, she didn’t know a football from a fondue.

47. By Titus on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

I don’t think this conversation gives good images for my lunch! We need a blog headline every week— Monday Accountability–

48. By DRS on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Vikings get wins and you will earn your respect back. Getting big $$$$$$ and losing give fans a case of the blues. After all, it is the fans that pay the big salaries you get to play just a game.

49. By DRS on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

see U all some time down the road.

50. By Jeffbleedspurple on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Actually my wife never kicked me in my sacks, when I watch my games she sits in the other room on the PC, she can hear me cheering and ranting about the Vikings, then after the start of the 2nd half, silence from the football room! she would come check on me from time to time departing with a little chuckle! then when I would tell her they lost again she would laugh in my face, I told her you might as well kick me in my sacks, it would hurt just as much, that’s how the sack thing came out :D

Sounds like my wife Nova, she sarcastically says she likes the Packers, keep it up! Shes going to be an ex also, leave it to a woman that would take a bat and swing it at a football.

51. By Animal26 on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

from the presser, all I hear is more and more excuses. Admit your mistakes already Frazier, enough with the babying of your players and coaching staff and Rid their A**** already and you will most likely see more results. Also, cutting DUI Johnson and butterfingers Berrian would be more good moves.

52. By Animal26 on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

ride*

53. By Vikings4Life on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

This team is a up and down team winning next week doesn’t prove anything I want to see them play with more consistency and attitude swag instead of winning one game and losing another week. A team that is up by 17 points and let the opponent get back in the game shows you this team is very weak minded there is no fight or hunger to put out teams a very soft fragile team. For all these times watching the vikings I never felt comfortable with them being in a lead there is no sense of actually playing to destroy and win. I would have to say the vikings are a very soft football team I don’t know what it is about minnesota teams but they are just too laid back and don’t care to win or lose. You don’t win rings being nice you win a ring fighting with blood stains and the best win.

54. By CA_Viking_fan on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

This game is the chance for the Vikings to turn things around. It’s going to be real interesting to see how they play this week. I’m looking to see total effort and intensity for the entire game, and if they show that, I will be happy win or lose. All eyes will be on BB too. Here’s his chance to show if he really is a baller or a slacker

55. By CA_Viking_fan on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

I just noticed the post by Vikings4Life. WELL STATED. We think alike

56. By Justin F on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

I can’t believe no one caught this mis-type:

– These are not the Lions of the recent pass.

Anyway, the Lions don’t have to run the ball. They can just throw the ball all game and the Vikings secondary can’t stop them.

57. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Justin F…..I didn’t catch it because I can’t be bothered reading these smoke-and-mirrors-everything’s rosy-rainbows-and-unicorns articles anymore. Like I said in another post, if we lost 96-3, the blog’s headline would be ” Longwell hits 47 yard FG !!!!!!1

58. By Rocksalt on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Right on Nova! Keep it REAL!

59. By Rocksalt on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Nova-
    You nailed it! Keep it Real!!!!

60. By Titus on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Justin– where is the error? I don’t see it.

61. By Rocksalt on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

sorry for double blog……it did not show up on 1st attempt, so I cnaged it a bit….

62. By dog on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

It is pathetic how you negative ninnys use these comments to express your negativity. Just enjoy the season. If Detroit beats us then more power to them. Just enjoy the challenge and go back to Wisconsin to the outhouse with your negative mind.

63. By HockyMinny on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Let’s try to stay off the highways at 2AM this week. OK?

64. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

ENJOY THE SEASON ??????????????????????????????????????????????

65. By Titus on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Dog, that was one of the most negative posts on here. Good job, dog.

66. By Rocksalt on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

woof woof!

67. By wallyworld on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

As a lifelong Vikings fan I would also like to see Webb given a chance at WR and as for the comment about 31 teams passing on Randy Moss, go back to the draft a few years ago and tell me how many teams passed on Aaron Rodgers! If Randy wants to play than sign him up.

68. By Rocksalt on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

I do believe comments will become more positive as team begins to give fans more reasons to applaud positve efforts…..

69. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Sounds like a Standard Poodle to me.

70. By Rocksalt on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Webb sholud be used somehow, considering his athleticism……

71. By Rocksalt on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

GRRRRR

72. By dog on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Guess what? The Vikes have no clue what it is like to have to come from behind in the second half. Ever stop to think, that those other two teams had to, and they did. Maybe they are pretty good with their backs up against the wall. Doesn’t mean the Purple sucks, just means those guys are pros too. Hang in and watch as the Vikes get better and better. Maybe the Vikings will have to try come from behind in the Detroit game, maybe we will do it, maybe we won’t, but we are not gonna lay down.

73. By Vikings4Life on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

The only time we had the mentality to outscore and show no mercy was in 98

74. By VikesR OK on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

What nobody seems to understand is that we are ok. We would have been 1-1 if Johnson makes that interception to end the game. the lions are still th lions until they prove otherwise for at least 1 season!! Have faith we have the best RB in the league.

75. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Since we lost both games, I think we have an excellent idea of what it is like to have to come from behind in the second half.

76. By wallyworld on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Vikings4Life—AMEN

77. By dog on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

hey titus,

Your post proves your an idiot so shut up.

78. By dog on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Hey Wally,

10-4

79. By Rocksalt on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Percy Harvin was quoted in the locker room about the team lining up in the wrong formation on two scoring chances…….evidently the team has still not adjusted to Musgrave’s scheme…..hopefully that will change……..

80. By Rocksalt on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

dog-
    Why are you angry?

81. By dog on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

hey nova idiot,, we only know what it’s like with seconds left you fool, they had 30 mins.

82. By Rocksalt on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

not cool, dog……..no need to call anyone an idiot!

83. By dog on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

hey saltlick,
    because of poser fans, like you possibly?

84. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

I’m guessing you’re a shih tzu….a lot of barking and no bite.

85. By dog on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

idiot, is the only thing cheesebillys understand.

86. By dog on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

I am “outta” outta here.

87. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Back to the doghouse.

88. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

How did Mike Vick ever miss you?

89. By Rocksalt on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

dog…….you’re angry cuz you have been neutered…….. your nads wacked off…….yippy little dog……..

90. By Rocksalt on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Git little dog! Git!

91. By dog on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Hey NovaScotiaVike,
    Yea, enjoy the season. If the doesn’t make sense to you, then “idiot” is is the dictionary, check it out. Your facebook pic is there. Ha

92. By dog on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

woof woof

93. By Rocksalt on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

go home dog…….go home ………

94. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

What does “is is” mean, moron?

95. By dog on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

O just ask saltlick what it means.

96. By Rocksalt on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

can’t really blame little dog………he is angry for being neutered……

97. By Rocksalt on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

ouch! that hurts!

98. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

What does ” if the doesn’t make sense to you” mean? See, in Canada we speak English.

99. By Rocksalt on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

go home little dog………

100. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

I’m sure you’ve got a bone to lick somewhere, if you get my drift.

101. By dog on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

I love it. IDIOTS!!! Ok, so rocksalt iis a Trailer Park Boy. Probably somewhere in northern Wisconsin, who wears gunny sacks all day, and works in a chese mine.

102. By Rocksalt on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

insecure little dog……….

103. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

What is “chese”?

104. By dog on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

This is fun but I gotta go. Just got a call from Vick.

105. By Titus on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Truth comes out on dog– he is more negative then the entire blog combined. It’s okay doggie.

106. By Rocksalt on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

now how did you know that???????????

107. By dog on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Oh , =IDIOTS! = HA HA

108. By Rocksalt on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

sorry bout you being so insecure little dog…….

109. By Rocksalt on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

your momma didn’t love you?????????

110. By Rocksalt on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

your daddy beat you?????????

111. By Titus on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

dogs need hugs too

112. By Rocksalt on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

guys-
    How did he know I wear gunny sacks and live in a trailer park?

113. By ozzinator on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Dog almost sounded like Rocksalt, for a second anyway. No disrespect Rocky.

114. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Dog, come back soon and bring a dictionary.

115. By TBayVike on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Why not get ready for next year now and put in Webb & Ponder so they are prepared for the 2012 season. Quit going with the old hasbins and let’s develope a super bowl team. The NFC North, if we are going to dominate, has to start now!!!! Lets watch these young QBs now and grow with a winner!!!!!!! This would be amazing to watch. It’s going to be exciting to watch these young players develope. Look around the league and who are the exciting teams, ones with young QBs like Detroit, Chicago & Green Bay.
    We have a great future. Lets GO Vikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

116. By Rocksalt on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

c.mon I am not that angry!

117. By Titus on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Call Animal Control

118. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

And Pest Control.

119. By VegasVike on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Maybe”dog” is short for “chillydog”

120. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Good One Vegas !

121. By Woodboat on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

@ Titus and others…

Hey, I’m not giving up on the season. If the season is all about winning a Superbowl this year, I never had any thought in my head that the Vikes had a legitimate shot at it. Noone that isn’t a Vikings fan did, including the oddsmakers in Vegas.

I stated before the season began that I was hoping for 8-8, 2 games better than last year. With the losses we’ve had at QB (yes, I’d take Favre over McNabb), WR, and DT we are less talented this year than last. We run the same defense that got pummeled in the p@ssing game last year.

We do have a better OC, and Griffen is marginally better than the guys that filled in for him last year. I don’t see the logic behind fans thinking this is a SB caliber team. That doesn’t mean I’m not rooting for them every play and that I don’t feel sick when they aren’t successful. My sights are just set lower than some of yours (this year).

BTW, those of you that are bashing our deep receivers… McNabb actually has to get the ball to them for them to be able to drop it. SO far, he hasn’t shown that he has the accuracy to do so.

122. By Justin F on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Titus, it’s the very first sentence of the 2nd paragraph…

123. By Viking Joe on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Win or lose Sunday, my alliance is still with the Vikings, it’s not like they are getting stomped, I still feel 10 wins are coming our way !!!

Bad dog, bad dog, your the stinaud( idiot ), we don’t want you here anyway, you’re a Packer spy!!! lol

124. By darrel on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

I will watch all 16 games this season. That being said 3-13 on the year finishing just behind Seattle for The Luck Sweepstakes :(

125. By blue n silver on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

did ya see what we did to your qb last year with second sting team ! u all got some bad a@!%$ boys But this aint no mat million lions coming atcha!did ya see what we did to tomy boy in pre season we have won ten in a roll the Vic is #11 he cant make a play lying on his back . ya need the spirt of barry sanders on your side ! oh ya we got that too!!!

126. By Shut up on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

If I may the voice of reason…………GO LIONS!!! EASY WIN! 3-0!

127. By Titus on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Justin, I know where it is located, but I do not see the error in the sentence. What is the error?

128. By Redwing_liger on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

As Vikings fans you guys suck as bad as the Twins fans do!!! I’ve been reading blog after ridiculous blog mostly negative, (although not all) and I am of the opinion that most of you negative bloggers should be ashamed of yourselves. You expect immediate results from a team that has a brand-new, (to them) quarterback in Donovan McNabb. Admittedly I am not a Vikings fan, (my team is the Lions) but you can all take a lesson from the Detroit Lions embarrassing years. First of all, to change coaching philosophies year after year makes for a very unstable and unsuccessful team, due to the differences in coaching philosophy. Secondly, give Donovan McNabb a little time to gel with his teammates and form a little cohesiveness. Donovan McNabb is an awesome quarterback that needs to prove nothing, and deserves to receive the benefit of the doubt for the time being. Even the morons on the NFL network suck as football know it alls, and you would think that they’re being ex-football players/coaches, (in most cases) that they would be less apt to throw someone like Donovan McNabb under the bus. Listen to what they said about Cam Newton… all we heard about Cam was, “he won’t be any good as an NFL quarterback” and now they are all jumping on the Cam Newton bandwagon as if they predicted his skill set from day one. Once Donovan gets his timing down with the Viking receivers (which shouldn’t take too long) the Vikings will be scoring plenty of points, and I trust they’ll be difficult to keep up with. Don’t forget you guys also lost some valuable pieces from last year’s team, (both offensively and defensively) but that is no different than any other team. Just remember that Donovan and the other Vikings didn’t have much time prior to the start of this season, (similar to Brett but for different reasons) to get acquainted with the rest of the team, so to struggle at the beginning of the season isn’t that surprising to people who know football inside and out.

129. By Titus on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Redwing, I wish you were here more often– I am one of the lone voices of reason in this wilderness of crying.

130. By Viking Joe on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

What’s with all you Lion fans on our blog, and you haven’t won 10 in a row, don’t know where you get that, you haven’t even made the playoffs in what over a decade and you went 0-16, a few years back, yeah what an orginization, and by the way you haven’t even played in any Super Bowls, so go back to Detroit !!!!

131. By Viking Joe on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

What’s with all you Lion fans on our blog, and you haven’t won 10 in a row, don’t know where you get that, you haven’t even made the playoffs in what over a decade and you went 0-16, a few years back, yeah what an organization, you haven’t even played in any Super Bowls !!!!

132. By Viking Joe on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

What do the Twins have to do with the Vikings, the Tigers haven’t won the world series since the early 80’s Twins won it in 1987 and 1991, good luck against the Red Sox, you’ll need it !!!!

133. By CALVIKING on Sep 23, 2011 | Reply

I JUST READ THE “REDWING” BLOG; EXCELLENT STATEMENT ABOUT WHINING WIMPS THAT POSE AS VIKING FANS. OUT HERE IN LA, THEY ARE KNOWN AS “FAIR WEATHER FANS”; AND FAIR WEATHER FANS BLOW AWAY JUST LIKE AUTUMN LEAVES DO.

I MUST CAUTION “REDWING”, THAT THE LIONS HAVE ONLY WON “2” GAMES SO FAR; AND THE K.C. GAME INVOLVED WHAT?, 7 CHIEFS TURNOVERS? BEWARE MY FRIEND, THAT IS A MIRAGE!!! TRUE THE LIONS PROBABLY WOULD’VE WON IT ANYWAY, BUT THOSE TYPES OF WINS ARE ON A “PLATTER”. BEWARE, SINCE THE LIONS HAVEN’T WON THEIR FIRST 4 GAMES OF A SEASON FOR 31 YEARS!! PROCEED WITH CAUTION. INJURIES, THE BOUNCE OF THE BALL, AND THE REFS CAN ALL CAUSE LOSSES!!!

REMEMBER THE BEARS GAME LAST SEASON, THE CALVIN JOHNSON TD THAT “WASN’T A TD” ACCORDING TO THE REFS? LIONS LOST THAT ONE, REMEMBER? I WAS ROOTING FOR THEM TOO.

IF YOU ARE AN “EXPERIENCED” LIONS FAN, THEN YOU HAVE TO BE NERVOUS ABOUT THIS GAME SUNDAY!! FOR SO MANY SEASONS YOU HAVE SEEN THE LIONS SELF DESTRUCT. I REALISE THE VIKINGS MUST BE ONE OF THE MOST HATED ENEMY BECAUSE THE VIKINGS ALMOST ALWAYS WIN. BUT THIS SUNDAY, THE LIONS HAVE A DESPERATE VIKINGS TEAM CORNERED IN THEIR OWN HOME FIELD; THE LIONS ARE IN FOR IT NOW!!

IF THE LIONS PRESUME TO STOP A.P., THEN THEY CANNOT BE COVERING THE DEEP PASS!! THE LIONS DEFENSE IS GIVING UP 4.6 YARDS PER RUNNING PLAY SO FAR THIS SEASON; TIME TO BE NERVOUS REDWING!!!

134. By PuRpLe 'n GoLd on Sep 23, 2011 | Reply

alright this is a HUGE game! When we win on sunday it will set the tone for our team for the season and i believe we can get this show on the road. Does anybody remeber the Giants in ’07 ? They happened to start off their season 0-2 and they ended up being world champions. So i use that and think about it all the time because it gives me hope that the vikings can come back and possible make it to the wild card playoffs or even better!!! The vikings are a week by week team and this week we need to focus on winning, come on vikes you got it in you!!

135. By Bigfan1 on Sep 23, 2011 | Reply

To ravage and conquer leading to annihilation should be our SOP as we travel to and fro into enemy lands, nothing less. Unmerciful domination.

136. By LION4EVER121 on Sep 23, 2011 | Reply

I dont think redwing is nervous. I cant wait to see the game , it should be close. Ive been a lions fan for over 30 yrs and this team is the best Ive seen. It is true the lions are not good at the run stop although its hard to win with just the run. Its been sinse 97 the last time we won in minny….LOOK OUT 2011 WOOOOOO HOOOOOO

137. By DieHardViking on Sep 23, 2011 | Reply

We are not going to LA that has been settled stay possitive you guys. the vikings will come though one of these years thier are still 14 games left and we got Kevin Williams back this week so that will help a ton!

138. By CALVIKING on Sep 23, 2011 | Reply

I AM HOPING THAT KEV WILLIAMS WILL BE THE CATALYST THAT WILL BREAK DOWN THE LIONS’ O.L. BLOCKING SCHEME, AND FORCE MATT STAFFORD “TASTE THE TURF” 5 OR 6 TIMES AND SEE HOW HE LIKES IT!!! THE VIKING DEFENSE IS TOUGH TO RUN AGAINST, EVEN THOUGH NOT #1 VS. THE RUN, WE DON’T GIVE UP A LOT OF YARDS ON THE GROUND. BUT WE MUST STOP THE PASS!!

AS THEY SAY, “ITS A PASSING LEAGUE”, AND TO WIN THE DEFENSE MUST STOP THE PASS. AND THE DEFENSIVE LINE IS RIGHT WHERE THAT PROCESS STARTS. IF THE FRONT FOUR PLAY WELL, THEN IT WILL SEEM LIKE OUR SECONDARY IS PLAYING LIKE ALL PROS. THIS IS SO NO MATTER WHAT TEAMS YOU CARE TO MENTION. THE DEFENSE CAN BE BALL HAWKS TOO. WE NEED TO WIN THE TURNOVER RATIO. SCORE TAKEAWAYS ON DEFENSE AND/OR SPECIAL TEAMS, AND THE OFFENSE NEEDS TO NOT TURN THE BALL OVER AT ALL. IF WE HAVE A GOOD TURNOVER RATIO, IN OUR FAVOR, THE GAME IS HALF WON RIGHT THERE.

SPECIAL TEAMS CAN TURN THE GAME AROUND WITH JUST ONE BLOCKED KICK, OR A RETURN FOR A TD. GO FOR IT VIKES!! I KNOW THE LIONS “LOOK” REALLY TOUGH TO BEAT RIGHT NOW, BUT FACE IT, THEY’VE ONLY WON 2 LOUSY GAMES!!! THIS SEASON IS 16 GAMES LONG!!

OFFENSE WILL POUND THE LIONS WITH A.P., THAT IS CERTAIN, SO FOR THE LIONS TO STOP HIM, THEY CAN’T BE COVERING THE DEEP PASS. THAT’S WHAT WE NEED TO CASH IN ON, IS THE DEEP PASS ATTEMPTS, EVERY QUARTER. EVEN IF INCOMPLETE, IT FORCES THE LIONS DEFENSE TO GUARD AGAINST THE DEEP PASS PLAY, AND A.P. WILL RACK UP JUST THAT MANY MORE YARDS. BUT I THINK OUR PASSING GAME IS GOING TO GEL, AND I HOPE IT IS THIS GAME, SO WE CAN WATCH NFL NETWORK EAT CROW!!

GO VIKINGS!! TRAMPLE THOSE UPSTART LIONS!! NO MERCY!!

139. By LION4EVER121 on Sep 23, 2011 | Reply

GOOD LUCK

140. By Dennis on Sep 24, 2011 | Reply

If your going to run ap all the time on 1st and second down and keep putting your team into 3rd and long situations, you had better be able to convert most of those third downs or the play makers on your team will never get a chance to make any plays. Sure ap is a great back but the truth is that he gets most of his yards off a few long runs and gets a lot of negative carries which translates into a lot of three and outs. Gerhart had three really nice plays last week and then he vanished….why? Use him until they stop him. It seems the vikings have the same game plan every week, run ap and try to convert third and long to harvin or shank. Ap running for 100 or more yards means nothing if you don’t score touchdowns! Start using him as one of our weapons, not our only weapon. Get everyone on the team involved and maybe they will start playing like a team.

141. By Jukemove on Sep 24, 2011 | Reply

Detroit wins big on Sunday. Mcnabb Booed, AP Bottled up for most of the day.

142. By Jukemove on Sep 24, 2011 | Reply

Detroit totally dominated Tampa (CHECK THE STATS OF THE FIRST 3 QTRS) as they shut Legarett Blount down early forcing Tampa to throw. KC racked up big yards against the Lions early with misdirection plays that caught Detroit over pursing. Once Detroit regained their composure they curshed KC because their passing game sucks. Detoit has more than just A boy named Suh on their D-line they are stacked and not to mention their LineBackers are heat seeking missles looking to blow up plays it could get ugly on Sunday.

143. By Vikings1 on Sep 25, 2011 | Reply

Well, let’s see how the Vikings manage to lose the game today after leading 20-0. I know what it is, they need to score 27 points in the 1st half and just maybe they might win, what a joke this team is!

144. By Steven Burch on Sep 25, 2011 | Reply

Vikings Are An Imbarrassment to Minnesota!
    Front four played an exceptional game, but the rest of the team should be ashamed. Frasier’s decision not to go for the field goal in the fourth quarter was the ultimate demise of the team and makes me wonder if he has what it takes to coach an intelligent game in the NFL. Having been an athlete myself, the only way you dominate a team, then are dominated later in a game is due solely to not be physically fit enough to compete. McNabb, whom I have always liked, should have retired with Favre. Bottom line is that the Vikings don’t deserve a new stadium and for all I care should find another state to play in. Either that or how about taking some pride in yourselves and get into the physical and mental condition to play this sport. Players like Jared Allen would agree with me, but Jared is to fine of an athlete to give in. Go Jared!!!

145. By pest control tampa on Jan 13, 2014 | Reply

of course appreciate your web site however, you really need to look at the punctuation with numerous of this articles. A few of these are rife using spelling complications i in locating the item really troublesome to express to the truth alternatively I’ll definitely come back again.