Williams’ Return Makes D-Line Deeper, More Versatile

Posted by Mike Wobschall on September 20, 2011 – 7:45 am

The return of Kevin Williams to the lineup from a two-game suspension is a big deal for the Vikings defense. He’s a 6-time Pro Bowler and the defense now has a playmaker in the middle of the defensive line for whom opposing offenses will have to account on a play-by-play basis.

But Williams’ return goes beyond just having another playmaker on the field. With Williams back in the fold, the Vikings defensive line instantly becomes deeper, and the Vikings defensive coaches have more flexibility in their scheme, playcalling and rotation options.

For example, Remi Ayodele and Letroy Guion have been the starters at DT in Williams’ absence. With Williams back in the lineup, the Vikings can keep both Ayodele and Guion fresh by rotating their snaps. Then you have rookie Christian Ballard, who has the position flexibility to play both DE and DT. Early on he’s been playing primarily DT, but with Williams back and Ayodele and Guion potentially rotating at DT, perhaps Ballard gets more time at DE?

Those are just two examples of how Williams’ return positively impacts the Vikings ability and depth along the defensive line. Now, the key is for the Vikings to execute whatever strategy they employ.

Tags: , , ,

66 Responses to “Williams’ Return Makes D-Line Deeper, More Versatile”

1. By PonderforQB on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

Half a wall is better than no wall at all.

2. By Nick on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

Ayodele and Guion have proven to be solid deputies but Kevin coming back is what we need. Sounds like he may not be playing every down but sharing time with those two guys and the impressive Mr Versatility Ballard. One D-line spot I believe is up for grabs is left end. I reckon here Griffen is close to pushing Robison for greater playing time.

3. By david ryan on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

I am sick and tired of all the excuses that come up with this team. Every other team works around there problems, but this team continues too do the same thing every year.The owners are never serious about putting a winning product on the field. Year after year when we have a chance too pick up someone too help this football team they do not even try too get them, so continue too go the way you are which is NO WHERE because the owners are cheap and do not care. How long do you think AP is going too keep playing here before he says trade me, I want to go where I have a chance at getting a ring? He will nto have a chance as long as he stays in Minnesota. This team is pathetic and are the choke artists of the NFL.

4. By david ryan on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

the vikings suck and are not worth commenting on.

5. By Viking Joe on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

So, then why would you ?

6. By ROd on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

Well Im 43 years old and have been a vikings fan sense I was six. I have watched many years of this same stuff year after year. Everyone is to blame, we have had diffrent owners diffrent coaches diffrent players, we just dont know how to win and expect that from ourselves. Sad.

7. By Rocksalt on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

david ryan-
    try to look on the positive side……while we are all frustrated withthe team at this point, it does appear that having Williams back will improve our Defensive play.

8. By Rocksalt on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

If we go 0-4, then it is time for answers……until then, we must wait and see what will happen.

9. By Beeverchoan on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

I like ice cream.

10. By Animal26 on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

Looks like Tyrell Johnson is going to be the Viking to be cut, so the vikings can place Kevin Williams back on the roster. http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/09/20/vikes-johnson-arrested-on-suspicion-of-impaired-driving/?module=HP11_headline_stack

11. By Animal26 on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

getting rid of Johnson will be a huge improvement also. We have a certain young guy with a ton of talent, that goes by the name of mistral Raymond. Really hope he finally gets some snaps as an NFL starter!!!!!!!

12. By Tbird09 on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

Stop crying! What did you expect? If we did not have AP, we would be the worst team in the NFL. Second to Seatle who is led by one of our brilliant draft choices lol.

13. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

NFL.com is now reporting that Tyrell Johnson was arrested for DUI early Tuesday morning.

14. By Titus on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

Funny– all off season I said we would be a great team and everyone shot me down, many saying we would be lucky to be 8-8. Why are all of you so mad now?
    You disagreed with me for months– so now why do you change your mind? You have what you expected. I am still expecting a turnaround and a run into the playoffs. Yeah, I said it. Maybe Superbowl.

15. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

More good news for our secondary.

16. By Animal26 on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

I agree with you all the way Titus

17. By Shawn on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

Tyrell Johnson is less of a problem than Bernard ” Football’s Scare Me ” Berrian

18. By Shawn on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

WR Bernard Berrian has more drops than S Tyrell Johnson

19. By Shawn on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

Cris Carter … all he does is catch touchdowns

20. By Shawn on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

Bernard Berrian …. all he does is drop first downs

21. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

Shawn…..and Johnson is thrown to more !

22. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

Why can’t Berrian get into sh1t like that so we can just cut him?

23. By David P on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

I guess for T Johnson dropping that sure game winning interception led him to drink and now he is adding to the unemployment percentage. TJ , take some time, stop drinking and start praying that some team will pick you up.

24. By Shawn on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

We have so many playmakers … I dont understand where the creativity is

Joe Webb could destroy defenses … Put him at WR and run reverses, double reverses with Percy, reverse pass bomb to Percy

Put Joe Webb in the I Formation with Harvin and Peterson at the WR positions and run reverses that way, or toss sweeps or HB pass

Webb Harvin and Peterson should be on the field most of the game … with Shiancoe, Kleinsasser, Rudolph, Gerhart , and Jenkins rotatating in for other confusing formations

Musgrave has brought the creativity of a HB dive and ….. ? NOTHING !!!

25. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

It won’t happen to Berrian because he can’t even catch a buzz.

26. By Shawn on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

I bet Joe Webb could demand single coverage just like Berrian …. teach him on the job

O WAIT HB DIVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. By Digger on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

To David Ryan, then take your negitive attitude elswhere and get off this site!

28. By Shawn on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

Percy Harvin, Joe Webb, and Adrian Peterson lined up all over the field on every play

defensive cordinators heads would explode ….

O WAIT ANOTHER HB DIVE !!!!!

29. By Ekolu on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

The Defense has been huge vs the run. It should improve even more with #93 back in the lineup. He also has the ability to push the pocket and make plays on the QB. We will become even more dominant now that Kevin is back because he is still one of the best in the game, top 5 easy.

30. By Shawn on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

We could run double pass plays with Webb at WR

The possibilities are endless ….

O look Musgrave called a …. HB DIVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

31. By Shawn on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

HB dive is the first play you learn in 7th grade … and its 70% of our “creative” offense

32. By vikesfansincefifties on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

It’s only 2 games. Vikes played very well in the first half of both games and enjoyed good leads. That tells me that the talent is there on both sides of the ball. I think the second half problems stem from the fact we do not have a reliable deep threat. Berrian is not the answer, as we all probably knew.
    I think the opposition at half time recognizes this, puts8 in the box and says AP is not going to beat us. Until we can show that we can stretch the field with some consistency the Vikings will continue to have problems. McNabb is OK. He will continue to get better. We Have AP and Percy, then what? I would bring Arceneaux off the practise roster and see if he can provide that deep threat. At least find a way to get Webb in the game. What do you think?

33. By Shawn on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

We have so much speed on this team … Percy , Peterson , and Webb

If we ran 2 versions of the reverse and 2 screens minimum per game , DEs would have to remain honest giving McNabb more time to throw down field

and as long as Berrian isnt there to drop the ball

HB DIVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

34. By Shawn on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

Would it kill Musgrave to call a flea flicker ….. ? with Berrian on the sideline of course

We run enough HB dive the defense would never see it coming …

35. By Woodboat on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

@ Titus… I was one of the guys that said we would be lucky to be 8-8, and I still believe it. I’m not mad, just resigned to my (our) fate. I think people need to step back and just LOOK at this team objectively, you included. We are at best the 3rd most talented team in our division, so I don’t expect a division championship. As far as wildcard seats go, lets break it down. NFC west, probably no WC team there. South, with TB, NO, Atl, and Carolina, I’d say 1 of the first 3 will be in the running for a WC berth. East, a little shakier than in years past because of injuries and them beating the snot out of one another, but the number 2 team could be in the running.

North, I expect GB to be 1st, with Lions having an edge over Chi for the number 2 spot. I think the north will get a WC team in… I don’t know about 2. That being said, you optimists think we have what it takes to be number 2 in our division? Really? With our poor defensive scheme (its been bad for years) and our sieve-like O-Line? All I can say is, don’t bet your rent check on it.

36. By VA Vike Fan on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

Shawn has me ROLLIN!!!!!! X-D

37. By VegasVike on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

Wood boat- i said 8-8 too…
    I also said TJack benched after game two….
    I also said I’m glad I’m working sundays…..
    AND that I would send Nova showgirls..

38. By viking joe on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

start Webb as WR see what he can do!!

39. By VegasVike on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

I said that too, put Webb as a WR/wildcat/trickcat/QB. What do we have to lose? At this point I’d be happy with a 2-14 season as long as the 2 were against the Pompous Packers

40. By campfrazier on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

If you keep looking at the negative thats all yor going to see. Did anyone see how well they played in the first half? very impressive, better than the SD game no doubt. So lets look for improvement again this week against the Lions. We can all sit here and complain, I’m as guilty as the next guy I want to see BB get cut, but geuss what they only threw too him once in the second half, thank god!! and we all know AA gets picked on all the time and gets lit up. I think Berrian is the weak link in the chain! Vikings are getting better so lets see how they do against these so called Hot Lions, time for the Vikes to put the Lions back in there place, GO VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!

41. By Justin F on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

The Wilfs have put their heart and soul into this football team. They are willing to spend money to bring success to MN. They even took a gamble on Randy Moss. David Ryan has no idea what he’s talking about.

42. By mcnabb5 on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

Williams coming back, is a much needed boost for the defense. It will take the pressure of the linebackers.

43. By borgis on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

i’m very glad 93 is back get off that couch,get your sea leggs catch your hair on fire and lead like the vet you are

44. By Karan on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

Whoever keeps saying the Vikings sucks…just for your information,the Vikings are the team with the most NFC North/Central titles. Yes,that’s more than Green Bay and Chicago.

45. By jdude on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

I really hope that the Vikings can prove themselves these next few weeks or I might start voting the steelers this year.

46. By chon69 on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

I actually met and talked with Mr. Wilf at Seahawks stadium a couple of years ago. His intent is to win a Superbowl but he also needs to surround himself with quality front office people. Since we have endured several seasons of disappointment shouldn’t we at least give Leslie Frazier a chance for his system to work. I’d rather have long term success rather than a short term wining season. For those of you who are crying out for a rebuilding season just remember how long it took Detroit to get better. Just because Frazier doesn’t build the team the way we want doesn’t mean it won’t work. Give him a chance and let him do his job.

47. By PURPLEBLOOD on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

david crying get off this sight your clearly not a fan so go bash somewhere else u *%^*#@!!!!!. u must be a *%#@$^*+|”?&%@ bare, cryon or slacker fan. we’ll see who sucks at the end of the season you ?*&%#!@#$^&*(:”{}?. GOOOOOOOO VIIIIIIIIIIIKKKKKKKEEEESSSSSSS!

48. By Viking Joe on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

Hey David, did you ever stop and think that maybe he has a drinking problem, alcoholism is a disease, have some compassion, you sound like a person, who doesn’t think before they type.Now back to the Vikings, I believe in this team, though the 2 games they lost were heartbreaking, they have potential, most prognosticators picked them to have only 6 wins, I’m still predicting 10.

49. By Rocksalt on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

woodboat-
    Good points!
    I say this team, as it stands will be LUCKY to go 6-10…………Gotta play 60
    m inutes, for one thing.
    Undsiciplined play.
    Poor tackling
    Lack of offense in 2nd half

50. By jdude on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

Guys who is this david you keep taking about.

51. By Rocksalt on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

one of the best 30 minute teams in NFL……….

52. By Titus on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

Thanks Animal.
    And Woodboat– I was not referencing you, I think you maintain a level head and I don’t believe you are screaming for the head of the coach or the QB.

53. By paul on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

0-16, 1-15, 2-14 might be worth-it for a franchise QB (Andrew Luck).

54. By alan on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

find another team david ryan…………im 47, been a fan since i was 5………….im with viking joe!

55. By partyhorn on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

im also 47 been a fan for life quit the bad talk be a true fan go vikes

56. By meat2eat on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

they need to play Percy, he can handle it, he was only in on 45 percent of the snaps on offense. ridiculous, he could return every kick and be in for 70 percent of the snaps, he knows it why are these coaches afraid to use him

57. By pudster on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

I don’t think its the offence, I don’t think its the defence…ive players, when a team comes out and commands the first half like we have these first two games, and then we seem to fall apart in the second half, thats not the talent lagging, its the guys making the adjustments to the team, i.e. coaches. And i’m talking about the defensive coordinater in particular. Maybe Freddie aint ready.

58. By Dave on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Im expecting to be 0-3 after this week. No negativity here, there just better than us plain and simple. Our division has got to be the toughest in the NFC right now. I want to see some good plays though because i do NOT want to go 0-4. If we beat the Lions i will be so happy

59. By Dave on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Go Vikes!!

60. By Jeffbleedspurple on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

@ David Ryan: What would you call someone that comments on something he thinks ain’t worth commenting? Have you been drinking with Tyrell? I agree with the others, GET LOST!

61. By Jeffbleedspurple on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

I can understand people like this david ryan dude saying the Vikings suck, but not a Vikings fan, this may appear to be really stupid, but the Vikings don’t suck, either you suck or you don’t. This is what’s stupid, 50% of the time the Vikings looked really sharp, 50% of the time they sucked, that’s the middle of the road, can you actually suck only half the time? maybe with Williams back we will suck only 25% of the time. Get a replacement for Berrian then we might only suck 5% of the time. :D

62. By Jeffbleedspurple on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Beating the Lions will surely take about 50% of all the pain of the past 2 weeks away, beat the Packers and I am good.

63. By Tony Moore on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

good hart Titus i have been a viking fan since i was 6yrs old i am now
    54yrs old i saw all the supper bowls and loved those teams with all my hart
    we could have won 2 of those supper bowls,and agian in 98 also right play call 2yrs ago we are on are way to the suppre bowl agian so we have good owners they have put the right palyers on the field how do you get to 4 supper bowls all the championships , playoffs the vikes have been to we have a rich history it just takes ! one the table has been set long ago
    as for AP he’s not gone anywhere he has all the hart of a old school player
    i ask you all did walter payton leave those bad bear teams ?
    what i am trying to say is young bucs hang in there it’s close if i have been kicked in the gut many times and still waiting all of these years you guys can too by the way i am from Illinois go Vike’s

64. By Elgar on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

It’s called the math of probability, something most folks seem confused about. If there were 32 basically identical pennies and you flipped each of them twice, the odds are that about eight of them would typically come up heads twice and another eight will come up tails twice. In the NFL right now, there are seven 2-0 teams and seven 0-2 teams. It’s not really their lack of moral fiber or the curse of Satan or anything. but dumb math. When the NFL suspends one of your all-Pro players, you are more likely to lose. So we’ve fallen on our tails. That part is now over.

65. By lacoste polo shirts philippines on Jul 17, 2014 | Reply

Its like you learn my thoughts! You seem to
    understand a lot about this, like you wrote the guide in it or something.
    I feel that you simply could do with some p.c.
    to force the message home a little bit, but other than that, that is
    fantastic blog. An excellent read. I’ll certainly be back.

2. Sep 20, 2011: Not A Very Promising Start for the Vikes « KeepingUpWithTheVikes