E.J. Henderson To Be A Game-Time Decision On Sunday

Posted by Mike Wobschall on September 16, 2011 – 12:12 pm

Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier met with reporters after practice on Friday and said that LB E.J. Henderson was held out for a second consecutive day of practice with soreness in his knee. Frazier also said that Henderson will be a game-time decision on Sunday and that a final decision is likely to be made after he goes through an on-field workout Sunday morning.

Henderson was not listed on the week’s initial injury report (Wednesday), but he woke up on Thursday with soreness in the knee and continues to receive around-the-clock treatment so he can be ready to play on Sunday in the team’s home opener against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. If Henderson is unable to play, his younger brother, Erin, would slide over to start at middle LB, with Kenny Onatolu filling in at outside LB to occupy the spot vacated by Erin.

Frazier said the team wants to be “cautious” with the injury, which is why he’s been held out of practice the past two days. The swelling has subsided some, but Henderson is still “tender,” according to Frazier. An X-ray was taken of Henderson’s knee and it showed no structural damage. Also, the knee soreness is in the same leg that Henderson injured in 2009, but Frazier said there is no connection between the two injuries. [UPDATE: Jeremy Folwer of the Pioneer Press, among others, reports via Twitter that the swelling is indeed a side effect of the surgery he underwent for his leg in 2009]

Tags: , ,

49 Responses to “E.J. Henderson To Be A Game-Time Decision On Sunday”

1. By Rocksalt on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

remember Keith Millard?
    He was a two-time Pro Bowl player with the Vikings, and his 18 sacks in 1989 are still an NFL record for a defensive tackle.
    He is the new densive line coach for Tampa Bay.

2. By Titus on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

I also remember Henry Thomas and Chris Doberman. (that one is for Sonja).

3. By Titus on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Ugh, I need to take a nap– making grammatical errors.

4. By Titus on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Wrong placement of a period.

5. By Shawn on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

yea i heard something about that last weekend … Millard was one of my favs

6. By Titus on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Actually, it is punctuation, not grammar.

7. By Titus on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

I heard Moss played golf today and said he was done with football when asked if he was coming back to the Pats.

8. By Shawn on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

might as well finish off that DL with Al Noga’s name

9. By Titus on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Cris Carter is only 45– I bet he could outplay half our receiving corps.

10. By Woodboat on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

@Titus… I don’t put much blame on our receivers. Jenkins looks pretty good, and Harvin is a beast when he catches the ball. Berrian is suspect, I’ll grant you that. Do we have any top 10 WRs on the roster, no. I don’t think they are the most critical position of need.

Poll * Poll * Poll * Poll

If you were a new GM hired to stock a brand new expansion team, where would you begin? Keep in mind relative salaries for different positions, and rank the following which would be concentrating on…

Quarterback
    Runningbacks
    Wide Receivers/TEs
    Offensive Line
    Defensive Line
    Linebackers
    Defensive Backs

My list would be…

QB, O-Line, D-Line, LBs, WRs, DBs, RB

11. By Robins on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

I hope E.J. gets to play. He is a great player. I wish Ponder would play. McLoser needs to sit on the side line. He is a nice guy but a loser. Good luck Vikings! Play Ponder and Webb and win!

12. By Titus on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

I would go for good, not great, at every position– all young and then assemble the best coaching staff and have a 5 year plan with improvement in each plan. I would emphasize the QB and RB position and get the best in those two areas as money allows– but I would look for an overall good team that can build a long term chemistry with — and players that have good work ethic and are teachable. As long as the fans and owners display patience, within about 5 years I would have a dynasty that would last for decades.

13. By VegasVike on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Titus – I wouldn’t worry too much about your grammar on this site haha. You are no where near the B Berrian of these blogs!

14. By Titus on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Who calls someone a loser? Who does that? Who raises such children to talk like that? I mean, seriously. No grown up with a hint of intelligence and decency would ever call someone a loser.

15. By Titus on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Vegas– I thought that– if I said nothing, who would notice or care? But it gives me pause because if I am doing that here, I better not work on any of my freelance gigs. Just a red flag to myself to not work unless I take a cat nap.

16. By VegasVike on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Sonja let’s you sleep with cats??? Don’t tell Nova

17. By Ray on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

I have watched the vikings (NFL) since the 1970’s. Was looking forward to watching McNabb, et. al. getting back on track . I will not be watching the NFL or the Vikings for the rest of the season. I think it is terrible that the NFL plans to grope the fans. This is not Russia or Nazi Germany. I wish the VIkings the best for the rest of the year . . .

18. By Shawn on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

I would call someone a loser in terms of things …

In terms of WRs Berrian is a loser but in terms of financial success I am the loser

Berrian is a winner when you talk about salary

In referance to the McNabb comment , I disagree that McNabb is a loser unless your speaking or thinking in terms of SB wins in which case 90% of people to play in the NFL are losers

19. By VegasVike on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Woodboat-
    O-line
    QB
    WR/TE
    D Line
    DB
    RB
    LB
    CMF (Cross My Fingers)

20. By Shawn on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Berrian is a winner when you talk about speed

But I think I can catch better than him …. making him a loser as a WR

21. By Troy Williamson on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Who cant catch better than Berrian?

22. By Woodboat on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Not bad, VegasVike… kind of personal preferance.

Titus, your answer goes without saying. I guess what I was looking for was your positional priority list. Such as, would you trade your all pro DB squad for an all pro LB squad? Would you trade a top flight WR corps for a league leading O Line? That sort of thing. Notice, I didn’t worry about grammar or punctuation… lol.

23. By Shawn on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Woodboat

For me it kind of depends preferably, is the best QB available to me better than the best RB available ? I would want RB / OL / DL DB LB QB WR … but if my choice came up and the

and its always take the best player available regardless of position … so its kind of a hard question ultimately for me I would want a strong running game and the greatest defense ever

something like the ravens … for my tastes

24. By Shawn on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

or the jets

25. By Shawn on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

or the 85 bears

just a punch you in the mouth team …. I like those teams better than the patriots or the bills of old or the packers

26. By Shawn on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

I would rather build around Peterson than Brady

27. By Titus on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Woodboat, my answer may be obvious but few teams are allowed to improve– no instant results– change– NEXT, everyone yells. Plus many teams try to get a few stars and vets– I would not. So often what we believe we are familiar with, we take for granted, and it actually is not familiar. I did answer your question– I would not trade one position over another– that is my answer. I would not pay for any stars and get a good “team” assembled. You cannot get a great QB and have holes in your Oline and still have a great QB.

28. By Titus on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

I had more like a tiger nap, so don’t tell Sonja.

29. By VegasVike on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

98 Vikings, like a rattlesnake. You knew they were gonna strike, you just never knew when.

30. By VegasVike on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Looks like Nova is AWOL and I don’t think Sonja knows how to use the computer yet. You should be safe.

31. By moorevikes on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Woodboat, Oline, DB’s, Dline, QB, WR’s,LB’s, RB, TE’s, Kicker. I think if you have an outstanding Oline most QB’s will do well. The NFL is turning into a pa-ssing league gotta have top notch DB’s and Dline. I’ll take better than average QB, WR’s, and LB’s. Give me a couple Chester Taylors for RB. A couple TE’s that can block and catch an occasional 1st down. Kicker, well, he’s a kicker.

32. By Titus on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

All I want is a winning, high-performance cohesive product on the Mall of America field on Sunday. Our D is going to play stupendous. But how long since we have been a team that can play consistently well on the road?

33. By Woodboat on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

I would say you would get your wish, Titus, except that the team coming in is the Buccaneers. I don’t think the Vikes are going to be a winning, high-performance cohesive product for quite some time.

My poll was an attempt to get some insight into which position(s) my fellow fans value. I think everyone would rather have a team of “lunchpail” players that get the job done than a team of a few Probowl types and the rest scrubs. The poll was spawned by those calling for McNabb to get replaced and by those folks up in Denver inexplicably calling for Orton to step down in favor of Tebow. I was just wondering if people actually understand the importance of quality players on the line(s). I’m just tired of fans blaming poor offensive production on the QB regardless of situation.

34. By Woodboat on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Oh, and in answer to your question, Titus, I can’t remember… maybe back in the Cunningham/ Carter/ Moss/ Smith days.

35. By Woodboat on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

SO…. for those of you (like myself) that listed RBs down the list, would you trade A Peterson to acquire a couple top end O-Linemen? How about trade him for the number one draft pick next year (Andrew Luck)? Would you consider trading him in any reasonable deal?

I love watching 28 on the field, but I’d wish him well in his new home for a top end O-Line or a (possibly historically good) A Luck.

36. By Vikings4Life on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Trade ap haha you must be out of your mind, I want some of that good stuff your smoking.

37. By Woodboat on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

So, Vikings4Life, you value a top end RB above any other position (or group thereof). Interesting.

38. By Vikings4Life on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

I wouldn’t trade ap for anyone, I believe rb like ap is hard to come by he is a old school throwback type of back that will help this offense for years to come.

39. By Titus on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Woodboat, agreed. Exactly why I did my poll on McNabb yesterday– to point out that it is easy to point fingers, but there is more going on than McNabb– he is not alone out there. I think, Woodboat, our polls were similar in intent. But I won’t answer a question in a box– not my style.

40. By moorevikes on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Vikings4Life I agree with you about what kind of running back AP is. However, with a mediocre Oline he will gain his hard earned yards and that’s about it. He will never get that championship ring. As great as he is an offense needs what like 300-400 yds a game to win consistently (I’m just guessing there), and All Day cannot do that. We need descent WR’s and a descent QB to gain at least 2/3 of those yds. Without a top notch Oline none of that happens. So yes Woodboat if someone gave us two 1st rd picks, two 2nd rd, and an awesome LT and shut down corner. I’d call up Chester the first down gettin Taylor and trade AP in a heart beat.l

41. By VegasVike on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

We don’t need to get Luck, Ponders best days are ahead of him. Tom Brady wasn’t a #1#1, neither was a lot of the greats. I think Ryan Leaf was a #1#1 tho (were not was, sorry Titus) it’s too hard to gp back on an iPhone

42. By sandiamond on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

No monkey busines in next year’s draft. Pick 1-5 must be awesome filling in needs only and that means no qb, rb or te

Spielman’s last call imo

43. By garyson1 on Sep 17, 2011 | Reply

if musgrave continues to call such conservative plays he will burn up AP. we might as well get Ponder the experience, im sure he can pass for at least 100 yrds a game, and Berrian wont be here next year either so dump him and bring back one of the youngsters like Johnson.

44. By New Vike on Sep 17, 2011 | Reply

That is the problem. McNabb can still get McNasty on some play-action if you open up the playbook. I think Donovon has something left to prove. Does he have the physical talent at his age that Favre had at age 40 when he was tearing up D’s? I dont think so, but he has the best RB in the game at his disposal and I think he can still sling the deep ball. Pleny of QB’s past their prime with something to prove used a good run game and a little bit of smoke n mirrors to make their points. Look up Joe Montana’s first year with the Cheifs. You know that he wasnt still the same Joe Montana, but he got the job done with the help of Marcus Allen.

45. By Flavio on Sep 17, 2011 | Reply

give a shot to Arceneaux, he will surprise many

46. By packers suck on Sep 17, 2011 | Reply

LETS NOT GET CARRIED AWAY ON MCNABB YET. BERRIAN HAS MORE DROPS THEN CATCHS A VIKING.HE NEEDS 2 STEP IT UP OR GO BACK 2 CHICAGO. TURN WEBB INTO A WR. TERREL OWENS IS STILL A FREE AGENT. HA HA I ALSO THINK WINFEILD

47. By packers suck on Sep 17, 2011 | Reply

SHOULD BE MOVED 2 SAFTY I THINK HE WOULD HAVE ALOT MORE CHANCES 2 MAKE A BIG PLAY .IM JUST NOT 2 SURE ABOUT OUR SAFTYS.

48. By Don on Sep 17, 2011 | Reply

i really think next year we should think about the 3-4

49. By Pat the Viking on Sep 17, 2011 | Reply

Hope EJ gets better really miss his play when he’s out.

I like a Defense with a high power pass rush and can shut down the run, really enjoy having one that scores every Qtr of the game and every game.