E.J. Henderson Held Out Of Thursday’s Practice

Posted by Mike Wobschall on September 15, 2011 – 2:33 pm

Vikings middle LB E.J. Henderson was a scratch from Thursday’s practice. His absence is notable because he was a full participant in practice on Wednesday and was not listed on the week’s initial injury report.

Head Coach Leslie Frazier met with reporters after practice and said Henderson has a sore knee and that he’ll have an X-ray taken. Xavier Adibi and Erin Henderson stepped in for Henderson during practice. When Erin Henderson played middle LB, Kenny Onatolu stepped in at outside (weak-side) LB.

It goes without saying how important Henderson is to the Vikings defense. The injury is compounded by the fact that primary backup middle LB Jasper Brinkley has already been placed on the Reserve/Injured list.

Tags: , , ,

119 Responses to “E.J. Henderson Held Out Of Thursday’s Practice”

1. By Dennis Kaarup on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Look this offense has weapons and McNabb doesnt fit. Let Ponder and Webb play, move them in and out for different sets and let McNabb sit and help coach them. 39 yard is a disaster and noone can convince me that something drasitic should not be done. Frasier is irresponsible to not make wholesale changes in his scheme. Nothing is keeping me interested in this team right now and Im close to forgetting I am a Vikings fan. Hard to say that but I am discussed beyond esplanation.

2. By Purple Paint Chips on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

@Dennis Kaarup… I haven’t been sold on McNabb or the OL, but one loss is a little soon to be handing in my Fan Resignation. I hope EJ is OK. But if we flounder through the season like this, I will in your word, be looking for Lucy to do some esplaning.

3. By Purple Paint Chips on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

I get the feeling the OC’s job is to take the criticism and insulate the players from mental disruption regarding the bad performance. Jeff Fisher said he wanted to work with X and O’s some more. Please let us not be too insulated for too long.

4. By Frederick Jones on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

@Purple Paint Chips,

It was a painful loss. Perhaps this was our WAKE UP call for the rest of the season.

You never can tell.

5. By Viking Joe on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

I hope e.j. is all-right and doesn’t miss to many games, it’s still early I am sticking with a 10-6 record , leastways for now !!

6. By Shawn on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

We will be 3-1 and have a real good shot at 4-1 …. before the real challenge begins

7. By Shawn on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

@Dennis Kaarup … McNabb is not the weakest link, focus in on a real issue

8. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Shawn…I couldn’t agree more.

9. By Mike R. on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

I saw part of Patriots-Dolphins game and thought OT Nate Solder did a good job of containing pass rusher Cameron Wake (14 sacks last year). Patriots drafted him round 1 pick 17. Vikings could have had him. O-line needs someone to step up and protect and open up holes.

10. By tru-speed on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

@Mike R and if there was no lock out i think we would have got Nate!

11. By trav on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

It was only one game that the vikes barely lost, not like it was 45-3. yeah there were some mistakes but there was no offseason. I can’t believe vikings fans are so quick to say they give up on the season, its week 1.

12. By VegasVike on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

The thing that scared me Trav is that they were so one dimensional, not a lot of creativity went in to losing that game! Here’s hoping the coaches learn from their mistakes and come out guns blazing Sunday.

13. By VegasVike on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Lots of good stuff on “Viking quotes 9/15″ a lot of the stuff we belly ache about is addressed there.

14. By Mike B. on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

wow Musgrave must have blinders on. The offensive line did well gave McNabb enough time. I don’t know what to say about that. He takes the blame for a poor second half, but everyone is playing fine. Wow I didn’t know the chargers were that good that they were so completely dominant. Wonder what will happen with other teams we face. Come On Bill we played poorly the offensive line is not geling well Our LT should be called screen door as that’s all he’s stopping.

15. By Titus on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Everyone needs to relax. Did you think after last season we would be a champion by game one? We will get better over the next two or three weeks and should accelerate– if not, well, we are in a rebuilding year and what can we do? None of us can put on a helmet and start tossing the ball to Berrian.

16. By sandiamond on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Well said Titus… nothing else to do but hope for the best

17. By Titus on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Thanks Sandiamond– I think we all a lot on our plates in our lives, and to get all bent out of shape over these games (something we cannot control) can get unhealthy. On the other hand, I do think we need to let our voices be heard that we are unhappy with the performance of these multi-millionaire professionals. But one game does not make a season. Many a team has had issues the first half of the season and then end strong. Better to get a loss in early than go 6-0 and feel invincible and then slide when it counts most.

18. By Justin F on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Oh man, this brings back flashbacks from last year. We really do not need injuries this early.

19. By vikes4ever on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

So from what I gather, we are spending what 7 mill on Donovan, and something like 8 mill on Butterfingers Berrian? Really? 15 mill? We could’ve picked up 3 great quality O-Linemen for that amount, or even 2 great quality and a pretty good safety. 3 good/great O-Linemen, and we could’ve just started with Webb. With protection I’m sure Joe could get us somewhere, and just imagine what Adrian coulda done with that!

20. By Titus on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

POLL*POLL *POLL*POLL — if you were coach Farzier, would you change quarterbacks after San Diego’s game?

Before answering, you would have to answer the following:

Will the alternative quarterbacks do better? If not, what do you do and how does that affect McNabb if you bench him and then decide to bring him back?

What affect does changing quarterbacks have on the rest of the team?

What resulting stigma is placed on you, as coach, if after one game, you bench a star player? How does that affect leadership?

And many other criteria must be considered… SO think carefully before forming a well-reasoned argument on who should be quarterback for game two.

21. By Titus on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

OOPS– Frazier*
    SORRY coach.

22. By VegasVike on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

I like Farzer haha. I wasn’t complaining I was just saying a lot of the questions we’ve been asking were addressed. And Titus, my beagle is psycho too, slowing down now but still nutso.

23. By sandiamond on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

4 weeks with Mcnabb. Let’s hope a change of QB it is not the talk of the nfl after KC. We go into Chic week 6 which would be the worst time to change the QB leader

24. By Mike R. on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

@Titus

I am unhappy with outcome of game 1. My vote is for McNabb though. Yes,it may be because the offense was out of synche. Shiancoe was nursing a preseason hamstring. Berrian,well, we’ll leave it at just that.

25. By VegasVike on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

@Titus-
    McNabb would remain the starter if it was up to me. It wasn’t his game plan and obviously the team needs more seat time to gel

26. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

@ Titus…..which buttons to I push to answer the individual *POLL QUESTIONS”?

27. By Titus on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Well, you guys seem to get it– my post was for the others. My point simply that there it is not so simple to blame one player and the solution is not so simple to change that one position. I was majorly disappointed.

So, beagles are like that, eh, Vegas? I thought my sister’s dog was that way because it had some terrier bred into her– what a hyperactive animal. She had to be confined or she would have chewed and scratched the whole house up.

28. By Titus on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Whoa– I just noticed my syntax– time to relax. Just worked 9 of the past 10 and the only day off, I cycled 101 miles in 90 degree heat.

29. By Shawn on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

McNabb is the best for this season …

We are weak at the OL and WR position

If you throw Webb / Ponder in the game they will learn nothing because they are taught to take 3-5-7 step drops and make progressions with the WR

With the OL we have now by the time Webb or Ponder hits his 3 step drop hes got pressure and will be forced toscramble witch in return changes everything else …

Then if Webb / Ponder gets a second to throw the ball Berrian wont be open so the young QB will have to force the ball witch will either be picked off or droped … which could make a young QB question his own abilities

Its best to let an old vet who has made many completions and won many games take the heat … McNabb knows who he is and this insanity from the fans and media and Berrian and the OL wont prevent long term growth

MCNABB IS NOT THE PROBLEM PEOPLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

You are obviously killing yourself, Titus…… I would like to start a poll among fellow bloggers :……..Would we miss Titus?

31. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Sonja would.

32. By Shawn on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

PS … I hope EJs OK

33. By Titus on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Shawn, exactamundo!!!! But, I think everyone on the blog this evening agrees–
    We really need an elite receiving corps– what happened? Vikings were always very good at that position–

34. By VegasVike on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

That’s just mean Nova

35. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Vegas……That’s what I like about me !!!

36. By Shawn on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

lol nova … yes as the persona in the question :)

37. By Mike R. on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

It seems the Vikings like receivers from South Carolina. Troy Williamson (ouch!), Sidney Rice. I thought the Vikings were going to draft Tori Gurley but the Pack got him on PS. Next draft Alshon Jeffery is next receiver coming out of South Carolina

38. By Titus on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Sonja has more class than a majority of the bloggers- she never disagrees with me.

39. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

I’ve taught her not to mess with authority…unless authority is disguised as a Standard Poodle.

40. By Titus on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Good dog!

41. By VegasVike on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Titus stays, he showed compassion towards my sick Beagle.

42. By VegasVike on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Know how you tell if your dog or your wife is your best friend? Lock em both in the trunk of you car for an hour. When you open it up, see which one is happy to see ya!!

43. By Titus on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

See, Nova. Don’t tell Sonja.

44. By Mike R. on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Please sign John Gilliam,Sammy White,Ahmad Rashad,Chris Carter,or Randy Moss (rookie season)……

45. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Vegas, I know all there is to know about sick dogs, I have had to put down 3 of my own (old age, arthritis,hit by car)………the only thing harder was burying my fiancee at age 39.

46. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

But LIFE GOES ON!

47. By Shawn on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

@Nova … :(

48. By Shawn on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

@Mike R … I wonder if we could sign Moss to a contract that requires he be hand cuffed to Cris Carter whenever hes not on the field

and he would have to whisper everything he wants to say into Carters ear and then Carter could translate

49. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

@Shawn… that’s why I blogged a few months ago that you guys wouldn’t be hearing from me for a while, I was fuc&ed up …..BUT I’M BACK !!!

50. By Shawn on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

although Moss really hasnt had off the field issues since he was in MN the first go round

seems the only issues people have with him are his words and the occasional lapse on the field even though during that lapse he has 2 guys covering him

I mean a guy runs 30 yard sprints every play must need a play now and then to recover … Not sure how many 30+ yard wind sprints Moss haters are capable of but they sure do bash Moss for taking a play off

51. By Shawn on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

@Nova … O man I had no idea, sorry

I wish I knew magic words but I dont :(

52. By Shawn on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Nova what happened?

53. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

@Shawn….. you did just fine !!

54. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Cancer,started in her kidney, spread everywhere, she died in three months.

55. By Mike R. on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

@Shawn

I remember the Cowboys were in need of a WR but they passed on him. Seems like I remember some his best games were against the Boys.

56. By Mike R. on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

I’m sorry Nova…

57. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Mike R. and everybody…… thanks so much…time to move on !!!!!!!!!

58. By Shawn on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

59. By Mike R. on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

What was that Shawshank Redemtion quote? “Get busy living or get busy dying.” I know most of the talk is about the Vikings and how they did in Game 1. But there is more to correcting the Vikings O-line or WRs or whatever. It is about life itself. And this is coming from the most die hard Viking fan that bleeds purple…..

60. By VegasVike on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

I actually enjoyed Moss squirting the ref with his water bottle.

61. By Jimmy on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

CHRISITAN PONDER WOULD HAVE BEEN KILLED BY THE CHARGERS AND HE WOULD GET KILLED BY THE BEARS AND PACKERS. WITH MCNABB, THEY HAVE A CHANCE. PONDER IS NOT READY. WAKE UP PEOPLE. If the Vikes lose sunday, I’ll be very worried but I’m not worried yet. McNabb will fix his performance and this offense will start rolling. That’s my belief and I hope to God I’m right.

62. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Nothing was better than Moss mooning the GB crowd, and Joe Buck just being his usual d1ck on Fox.

63. By Mike R. on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Vegas

I forgot about that incident…LoL

64. By Titus on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Whoa, sorry Nova- nothing really to say to that. Words are meaningless and really get in the way, sometimes and better to not say much except I am here for you.

65. By Shawn on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

66. By Shawn on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

67. By Woodboat on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Here’s me playing the part of the broken record….

Our O-Line Sucks. Badly. McNabb did NOT have the time he needed late in the game, so quit blaming McNabb. Hey, I was disappointed when I heard they’d traded for Donovan… I still think it was a mistake. But him getting his arse handed to him all day wasn’t his fault.

Get off the “we are going 12-4″ bandwagon and join me on the “I’m hoping for 8-8″ ship. We are WAY too flawed to think anything other than we’ll be lucky to be considered mediocre.

68. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Hey Titus, now you know why I’m up late at night. It’s not the same for Sonja or me.

69. By Shawn on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

70. By Jimmy on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

What did we lose to trade for McNabb? Two 6th round picks, who cares. What record would we have if we didn’t have McNabb. At least Ponder can now watch a learn from a veteren just like Aaron Rodgers did. Not saying Ponder is going to be an Aaron Rodgers but just saying.

71. By VegasVike on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Moss did some entertaining stuff that’s for sure, I just don’t see him good for team spirit. Go get T.O.

72. By Shawn on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

COULD BERNARD BERRIAN EVER …..

73. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Vegas, T.O. for team spirit?

74. By Woodboat on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

EJs probably just fine, he just sees the handwriting on the wall…. “Hmm… I COULD go out and kill myself for no reason, OR I could nurse this ‘injury’ and save myself for next season…”

Just jokin, of course. EJ is WAY to competitive for something like that. Get better soon, Mr. Henderson.

75. By Mike R. on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Vegas

TO had some good times. Touchdown and grab some cheerleader pom poms. Touchdown and run and grab fan’s popcorn container and pour over face. Touchdown against Cowboys and take ball and set it on the Dallas midfield star…LoL

76. By Shawn on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

77. By Shawn on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

78. By Shawn on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

79. By VegasVike on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

I know I KNOW! I’m grasping for a Moss alternative, we need a stretch the field guy but I can’t come to grips with what you guys are proposing. I’m sorry to hear of your loss Nova.

80. By Mike R. on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Vegas

it seems like a WR alternative has to have “character”. Moss-with squirt bottle antics. Owens-with after touchdown antics. Ocho Cinco-with his new job tryouts and Twitter following. Even Joe Horn (Saints) with his cell phone call after TD. Where is a Jerry Rice when you need him?

81. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Or a Chris Carter?

82. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Or an Anthony Carter?

83. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Or a Sammy White?

84. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Or a Joe Senser?

85. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Or a John Gilliam?

86. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Bernard Berrian couldn’t carry any of their jockstraps….and he’s our #1.

87. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Sorry, Senser was a TE, but then again,so was Stu Voight….both better receivers than Berrian.

88. By Titus on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

I bet Cris Carter could outplay Berrian– this Sunday.

89. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Titus, you are SO right on this prediction…Berrian has taken so much heat (with good reason), if he doesn’t do something REALLY soon, he has to be cut or just sat down.

90. By Titus on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

That is the trouble with MN coaching– even Tice, when he came along, it finally seemed there was a coach who would scare the players and not take any excuses for poor performance. But he was like a wishy washy parent. I can still see him charging and hovering over a player– so angry, then 10 seconds later, rubbing the players helmet and saying, it’s okay.

I am not for negativity, but I am for accountability.Put up or get out.

91. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

OK Titus. now you know why Sonja and I are up so late,….Thank you for your kind words, I’d better say goodnight.

92. By Titus on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Yes, I understand now, Nova– I cannot imagine. What does one say? I am going to bed too– tomorrow is another day.

93. By Mike R. on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

And Tice was a Vikings TE too…

94. By Mike R. on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Let’s see this weekend. Put up or shut up. No excuses, let’s get it done! Skol Vikings (from Pennsylvania)

95. By animal26 on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

nooooooo!!!!! We really need EJ. The Vikings and we the fans, must somehow be cursed with all our key players starting to drop like flies. Really hope this is nothing and EJ just is a little sore from a workout or something.

96. By Purple Paint Chips on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

I guess Shiankoe did lots of sitting out, and he is still OK. Stop with the Moss. The NFL is unanimous so far. Maybe one day he will show up at NE again. But he is not the same. I think AP benefits from blocking WR’s who play all the time, not just when they want.

97. By Rocksalt on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

well, the WR issue is what it is…….. E.J injured yet again is a problem………..

98. By Rocksalt on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Shawn=
    I say no nas on the Moss campaign. He was part of our team years ago, and was definitely freakishly talented. But this team does not need a cancer at this point…..

99. By Parody on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Right on Rocksalt. We’re all happy to be living with the benign cyst called Bernard Berrian!

100. By Vikings4Life on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Vikings loss because they were playing clock management offense against a potent offense. It was also the defenses fault, they did well in the first half and then the secondary got torched the 2nd half, chris cook needs to get back to the bench, they should replace him with sherals. I think your d-line should stunt more drop jared back on some plays. There needs to be more pressure from the blitzes and front 4. They did well first half, and then disappeared 2nd half. I think coach pagac needs to mix up his blitzes they need to be more effective, more faster and less hesitant blitzes.

101. By Parody on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Mike R. – How about Larry FItzgerald? I’ve never hear about him performing any excessive antics after a difficult catch or TD. Many regard him as the best WR in the NFL right now, but he is as classy a player as Carter was back in his heyday. Of course it doesn’t hurt that he was the team’s ball boy back in Carter’s heyday…

102. By Parody on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Vikings4life – It wasn’t the secondary that got torched in the 2nd half, it was the gameplan. On almost every play, the RB/checkdown receiver was not covered. The defensive coordinator was content allowing them to get the short completions in trade off for shutting down their long game all-together.

103. By Shawn on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

@Rock and Parody …lol your content with berrian … and thats why we will always suck because the fans and the organization are content with losers

Moss was more productive than Berrian last year but hey who cares right lets just go with losers … and hope we win

104. By Parody on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Sorry Shawn, did I come across as content with Berrian? It’s hard to come across sarcastically with only text without blatantly ending a comment with “sarc!”

Anyways, I wouldn’t call Moss a cancer. Cancer has absolutely no redeeming value. I’d say he’s more like the hot little neighborhood whòre. Yes, there’s a good chance you’ll contract the cancer and any other diseases she’s carrying with her, but at least it’ll be a fun ride leading up to it!

105. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Parody, that reminds me of the old Brown’s receiver, Fair Ho0ker !

106. By Purple Headed Hand Puppet on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

I will never get tired of watching Moss on the field. He should still be here.

107. By Vikings4Life on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

When can we blitz effective like the jets, steelers, pats, packers all are 3-4 teams. VIkings need to work more on blitzing in practice, coach pagac needs to quit blitzing on 3rd and 5 or so.

108. By Vikings4Life on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

The only thing positive that’s headed in the right direction is special teams, preifer has got this group playing at a high level.

109. By Shawn on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

LOL Sidney Rice will miss another game … he was as productive as Berrian last week and he didnt play

110. By vikes339 on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Mcnabb sucks his first play is an int at the 1, and to make things worse he audibled to that play. I never liked him as a player before he was here.

Moss would be great, put him out there with harvin and shank in a slot. It would open up the run and the pass, plus we wouldnt be predictable.

111. By Rocksalt on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Yes, Shawn I understand that Berrisn has not done much, in fact I ,too have been critical of him. But to bring back Moss, coonsidering how he treated the food caterers, among other antics, would be a disaster for this team.

112. By Rocksalt on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

We also need to concern pourselves with our thin LB situation……..

113. By Rocksalt on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

ourselves……

114. By Rocksalt on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

and if our O line does not improve their blocking, and Defense improve tackling, it will be a long season.
    Alllan Page was asked about this team, and his response was “they have a lot of individual talent, but must be able to come together as a team……”
    So if we do not begin to play as a team, no number of talented individuals will guaranteee success.

115. By VegasVike on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Hey Nova, a little late on your “where’s Cris Carter, where’s A Carter?” I can tell you where Joe Sensor is…. JAIL! or darn close

116. By Robins on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Just put Ponder in with Webb as back up. It is time to win. McLoser can watch. We need the young, energetic quarterback that can throw and run…..Ponder!

117. By Dennis Kaarup on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

hey guys did anyone see 39 yrds 39 yrds send Donavan home and rebuld with someone else 39 yrds did anyone see what Brady did? How do you think he will do against San Diego

118. By hippster on Sep 17, 2011 | Reply

does anyone know how much mcstabb is being paid? what kind of contract did he get and how long do we have to put up with this clown ?

119. By sandiamond on Sep 17, 2011 | Reply

no big deal hipps… it’s half the salary of Brett Favre and only a 1 year contract