Shifting Focus To Tampa Bay And Home Opener

Posted by Mike Wobschall on September 14, 2011 – 7:18 am

A new week in the real world begins on Monday. But in the NFL world, the new week begins on Wednesday. Games are played on Sunday, we digest and review the games on Monday and Tuesday, and then on Wednesday we flip the calendar to next week’s game.

Today is Wednesday, and that means the focus on vikings.com and at Winter Park will shift to preparing for this Sunday’s game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. We’ll delve into further detail about the Buccaneers over the next few days, but here are a few basics…

– Both the Vikings and Buccaneers suffered 7-point defeats on opening day. But the Buccaneers lost their game at home to the Detroit Lions. Although the Lions are a team on the rise, it was still a disappointing loss for Tampa Bay because they, too, are a young team on the rise and they’re coming off a 2010 season in which they won 10 games. Lions QB Matthew Stafford was 24 of 33 for 305 yards with 3 TDs and 1 INT on the day, and he was able to lean on his top 4 weapons all day – RB Jahvid Best, WRs Calvin Johnson and Nate Burleson and TE Brandon Pettigrew. The Buccaneers will need to do a better job of containing the Vikings primary offensive weapons this week, or else they’re in for a long day on Sunday.

– Tampa runs a 4-3 defensive scheme that, on surface level, looks very similar to the Vikings defense. The one thing I noticed that was very different, though, was that Tampa’s LBs don’t disguise their intentions in the same way the Vikings LBs do. With the Vikings, you routinely see Chad Greenway and E.J. Henderson showing a look pre-snap and then executing a different technique after the snap. With Tampa’s LBs, it was very straight-forward.

– The Buccaneers have a pair of 1st-round picks starting on their defensive line with 2010 #3 overall pick Gerald McCoy at DT and 2011 #20 overall pick Adrian Clayborn at right DE. McCoy is quick off the ball and is very capable of splitting double teams and being disruptive. But Detroit was able to contain him enough to register 126 rushing yards. Clayborn is also quick off the ball, but I noticed even more that he can shed blocks quickly and smoothly. Still, the Lions contained Clayborn well enough because Stafford wasn’t sacked one time all day.

– Offensively, the Buccaneers feature a young, talented nucleus with QB Josh Freeman, RB LeGarrette Blount and WR Mike Williams leading the group. But don’t sleep on TE Kellen Winslow, who was targeted 8 times by Freeman and hauled in 6 receptions for 66 yards against Detroit. Blount is a big, physical back who had a nice rookie season last year, but for some reason the Buccaneers were easily discouraged from running the ball against Detroit. Freeman threw 43 times in the game, meanwhile Tampa Bay picked up just 1 rushing 1st down and they ran the ball only 16 times all game, including just 5 carries for Blount.

– On special teams, K Connor Barth was 2 for 2 in FG tries, but the star of the show is P Michael Koenan, whom the Buccaneers acquired via free agency this past offseason. He’s a solid punter, but his value is on kickoffs. He was easily blasting kickoffs through the endzone, forcing the Lions to start at the 20-yardline. Across the NFL in Week 1, teams scored on fewer than 23% of drives that started at the -20 or worse.

We’ll have a lot more on the Vikings-Buccaneers matchup this week, so stay tuned to vikings.com.

18 Responses to “Shifting Focus To Tampa Bay And Home Opener”

1. By Rocksalt on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

Time to get on track……….Tampa will not be a pushover.

2. By Frederick Jones on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

The Vikings defensive line needs to sing the song, “Get Your Hands In The Air,” and then DO THAT when rushing the passer this week.

3. By SIMPLE SOLUTIONS on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

Mike, take Brad Childress and all the players who are not here anymore off the web site. It’s bad luck. C’mon man.

4. By animal26 on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

You give our offense too much credit Mike Wobschall. “The Buccaneers will need to do a better job of containing the Vikings primary offensive weapons this week, or else they’r in for a long day on Sunday.” We have no offense except for Peterson. All the Bucs have to do is stop him and the game is there’s. We are even more conservative with the play calling, then we were with Childress.

5. By animal26 on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

Also, is there a chance the Viking will resign Benny Sapp and cut Asher Allen? Benny would be an upgrade to our depth at CB over Asher.

6. By MikeWobschall on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

I disagree. I think Percy is part of our offense. Jenkins scored a TD last week. Shiancoe and Rudolph are quality TEs for us. I think Berrian will have a nice season. I don’t know what team you’re watching, but it’s clear to me that Adrian is not the only piece to this puzzle. Yes, all of those guys didn’t produce last week. But that’s one game. They’ll take a step forward this week.

7. By Jeffbleedspurple on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

I was wondering seriously, Mike you stated that the Buccaneers will need to do a better job of containing the Vikings primary offensive weapons, What weapons are you talking about? Peterson? Harvin? did I miss someone? giving last week performance, I say NOPE! That’s the problem, others need to start being weapons, and I agree with most that Berrian needs to step it up a lot, he looks like a pea shooter at a gun fight.

8. By Viking Joe on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

Mike I hope the playbook gets opened this week, I agree we do have weapons, now it’s time to utilize them !!!!

9. By Twoodsnvikes on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

@Wobs, The problem is Musgrave acted like Peterson was the only weapon, run run pass punt is not an ideal offensive series and the vikes did it a few times. I liked everything I heard about and from Musgrave leading up to Sunday, then when he put it on tape I didn’t like it at all, same timid play calling we’ve put up with for years

10. By true viking fan on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

The Vikes have a good shot to get on the right track this week against tampa bay but they have to open up their offense which means our playmakers will have to be playmakers the defense cant have any mental mistakes either. Still though the Vikes should get it done.

11. By Don on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

open up the playbook..open up the playbook..open up the playbook..open up the playbook..open up the playbook..open up the playbook..open up the playbook..open up the playbook..open up the playbook..open up the playbook..open up the playbook..open up the playbook..open up the playbook..open up the playbook..open up the playbook..open up the playbook..open up the playbook..open up the playbook..open up the playbook..open up the playbook..open up the playbook..open up the playbook..open up the playbook..open up the playbook..open up the playbook..open up the playbook..open up the playbook..open up the playbook..

12. By Robins on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

I hope we play Ponder and Webb on Sunday. Josh Freeman of the Bucs is so much better then McLoser. We need to win this one. Please don’t waste the whole season on a slow quarterback who can’t move. Let Peterson and Harvin have the ball. Sit McLoser or we can lose again. Ponder can throw and run. Wake up before it is too late.

13. By DAveJr on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

I wish we would bench lazy mclips. I would rather lose all the games this year then watch Mcnabb do absolutely nothing. I see why shanahan released him. He is too lazy to find a reciever in time. I have a bad feeling about playing him

14. By david doty on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

Upset base fans I am a big Viking fan and believe we will win this Sunday, We will be in Minneapolis and our fans will gave the support needed for a win. They are loud and will make a difference in the game. McNabb has too much pride to fail this weekend. I see him passing and Peterson running. I believe McNabb will have 300 yards this Sunday and Peterson will have over 100 yards rushing this Sunday. I believe the team will come together and will gave us a win. Mc Nabb has been a great quarterback in the past and we need to support him like we have supported our other quarterbacks. Let me close by saying I bleed purple and love my Vikings. Dave Doty Viking Fan/

15. By Mike Nobody Wobschall on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

That wasn’t the real dude. He has a space between Mike and Wobschall but anyways. To answer your question. I watch the same team you did that posted a lousy 39 passing yards led by a quarterback that the Redskins benched and traded for Rex Grossman and a 6th round pick.

16. By ripteflon on Sep 17, 2011 | Reply

Im tired of people saying we will cuz were at home thats why we have NO RINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!we cant win on the road or when it counts

17. By ripteflon on Sep 18, 2011 | Reply