Vikings Tweak Roster Before Heading To San Diego

Posted by Mike Wobschall on September 10, 2011 – 10:47 am

The Vikings have adjusted their practice squad and 53-man roster just before heading to San Diego for the 2011 season opener against the Chargers.

TE Allen Reisner has been promoted from the practice squad to the 53-man roster. To make room for Reisner, the Vikings waived OL Seth Olsen.

Stay tuned to vikings.com and the vikings.com Blog for all your Vikings information leading up to this weekend’s game against the Chargers.

Tags: ,
Posted in All | 35 Comments »

35 Responses to “Vikings Tweak Roster Before Heading To San Diego”

1. By Michael on Sep 10, 2011 | Reply

I liked Olson

2. By CA Norwegian on Sep 10, 2011 | Reply

OK. I Like the move. I have been hearing Thors hammer around here in SoCal. May he be with the Vikes tomorrow. I think this is a good sign.

3. By animal26 on Sep 10, 2011 | Reply

I’m a little confused with this decision? Olson is a pretty good player and with Herrera kinda banged up, we need a good back up like Olson. This is a real gamble in my opinion.

4. By drew on Sep 10, 2011 | Reply

Reisner is a good player, sometimes we have to make sacrifices to get other player. But win, lose or draw. I’m going to back my Vikings.

5. By Erik the Red on Sep 10, 2011 | Reply

I completely agree with you drew

6. By Nick on Sep 10, 2011 | Reply

Waiving Olsen, seems a little strange to me!

7. By Mike on Sep 10, 2011 | Reply

I am no bandwagon Jumper, I am all in from start to finish, I can give my opinions but I feel the coaches see what is going on behind the scenes and I have to trust their judgements…. As long as they don’t disappoint like many in the past have, I believe in Frazier!!!

8. By Joudry on Sep 10, 2011 | Reply

This indicates to me that Shiancoe’s hamstring is still bothering him

9. By Thomas A. on Sep 10, 2011 | Reply

Glad to see Reisner back on the active roster! He will be a productive player for us!

10. By Asher on Sep 10, 2011 | Reply

@Joundry – I agree. Musgrave wants to run 3TE sets. If he is uneasy about Shank’s health or conditioning, it makes sense to bring up Reisner. Olsen should be on the PS before long.

11. By Skol_Vikes89 on Sep 10, 2011 | Reply

I think players have to be cut before they can move down to the practice squad, unless they were promoted from the PS. I think….. could someone correct me if im wrong?

12. By campfrazier on Sep 10, 2011 | Reply

ok so can anyone tell me why they don’t just cut Asher allen all together and make the room on the 53 man roster for Reisner and Olsen? I’m sure Marcus Sherels can perform at least as good as Asher and the kid can only get better.

13. By Sparks1977 on Sep 10, 2011 | Reply

I looks like an all out TE assault this coming Sunday. I love it!

14. By Viking-ology on Sep 10, 2011 | Reply

I like the move. Looks like the Vikes will play keepaway with the Chargers by Running the ball and TE sets.

15. By Viking-ology on Sep 10, 2011 | Reply

I agree with campfrazier- Asher Allen is always hurt and has never impressed me.I’ll also include Tyrell Johnson, I haven’t been impressed with him either.

16. By BAROOOO on Sep 10, 2011 | Reply

I3 CENTER AND WE CUT THE GAURD,AM I MISSIN SOMETHING

17. By BAROOOO on Sep 10, 2011 | Reply

i meant three centers two on practice squad.are we movin fusco to gaurd?

18. By coachcasey on Sep 10, 2011 | Reply

Why didn’t we just cut Olsen and put him on the practice squad to begin with. Risking Reisner was foolish to start with. I also agree with every one else Asher Allen and Tyrell Johnson are busts and we need to move forward without them.

19. By Carl K on Sep 10, 2011 | Reply

Barooo.
    I am not sure if Fusco played guard in preseason? But I know Cooper played guard and obviously he must have looked better than Cook, Degeare and Olsen.
    So, I think the reason we kept 3 centers is because those centers can also play guard just as well as the guards we cut.

I think another team may have started to show interest in Reisner.

20. By Parody on Sep 10, 2011 | Reply

I thought it was pretty foolish to only have 3 men listed as either FB or TE on the 53-man roster to begin with. Most teams have 3 TEs and 1 FB. Most teams don’t run a TE heavy offense. So with or without a true fullback, our team needed to have 4-TEs just to be prepared for fatigue and injury.

I’ve been wondering for a while how the coaches were planning to run the goalline formation, which generally includes 3-TEs, a FB and a RB in the skill positions. Some have suggested that Toby could fill in for the FB role, but I haven’t heard any confidence from the coaches in this regard. Some teams opt to have an extra offensive lineman check in as an eligible receiver to fill the extra TE spot, so maybe that would have been how the Vikings were going to handle it.

But it’s pointless to speculate now that there are 4-TEs on the roster, unless one of them isn’t on the game-day lineup. So I’d be suprirsed if we didn’t see Reisner, Rudolph and Shiancoe on the line with Kleinsasser back at FB to power up the goalline offense.

21. By vikefan1969 on Sep 10, 2011 | Reply

seems to be and odd move…if you are high on Reisner, why wavie him and keep Olsen…you take a chance of a team grabbing him…and now you cut Olsen who imo was a very good player only to move that TE up from the PS? TE’s are not that tough to find, at least not as hard a good Oline players.

22. By michael on Sep 10, 2011 | Reply

the vikings and lezlie frazier got a plan here relaesing olsen wasent a bad idea thats why they gave peterson a new contract so he would get pumped in this game vs the chargers i mean he only had 296 yards in 1 game! nfl record by the way but releasing olsen not tht bad of an idea like kleinsassar is like an offensive lineman so maybe 4 tight ends wasent a bad idea

23. By michael on Sep 10, 2011 | Reply

and everyones saying this seth olsen is so good then why did the broncos only go like 4 an 12

24. By Arrow86 on Sep 10, 2011 | Reply

Reisner has to have had a million emotions this week. He’s on the roster, no he’s cut. He’s on the practice squad. No he’s activated.

Thankfully, he’s a quality player and it’s easy to see why he’s on the roster. Hopefully, Olson will clear waivers and make it on our practice squad. Then we can activate him if an injury occurs on the line.

25. By Parody on Sep 10, 2011 | Reply

Ok, Sports Center finally got to it and declared that the deal was 7-years, $96M, with $36M guaranteed. The reporter said something along the lines that it could increase to as much as $100M, but didn’t expand upon the comment, so he could have just been rounding up. It seemed like less than 30-seconds that was spent on the story overall, meaning there wasn’t much time to say hardly anything.

26. By VegasVike on Sep 10, 2011 | Reply

Reisner is the new TJack!

27. By James on Sep 10, 2011 | Reply

Kleinsasser will be lined up at the FB position.

28. By Derek on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

Vikings, first play of the game should be a play action pass, for about 15 yards! Since the Chargers believe your going to run all day long, I would come out with a pass the first play.

29. By dewey on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

Settling down fans this isn’t CHILLY’S TEAM ANYMORE,lets give Leslie a chance!

30. By Firefighter2735 on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

So, again why is Chis Cook still on the team?…..the best 2nd stringer in the league available???…give me a break

31. By Firefighter2735 on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

Chris Cook is going to give up a lot of big plays to only HURT the Vikings……get rind of the joker already……watch how rivers is going right after him play after play…..rivers wouldn’t dare throw a pass on Winfields side of the field when Cook is on the right wing.

32. By vlad19 on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

This episode today showed we did and still DO indeed need WR help… Rice wasn’t important enough and bernard Berrian is??? Bernard dropped one important first down catch, granted low, but guy is paid professional. And while McNabb was hit throwing the long ball, Berrian did nothing to come back for the ball, defender was not able to knock the ball down if Berrian at ALL worked back and position.
    But this goes WAT beyond Berrian alone – we threw for total of 26 yards. Our line might be worse that with McKinnie. How exciting to know ineptitude is alive and well and we did virtually nothing (but Jenkins) to address it. Hooray!

33. By CALVIKING on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

VIKINGS VS CHARGERS;
    DEFENSE PLAYED WELL ENOUGH TO WIN; THEY TOOK AWAY THE DEEP PASS, AND SHUT DOWN THEIR RUN PRETTY WELL; IT WAS THE OFFENSE THAT LET US DOWN. I AM A 43 YEAR VIKING FAN, GOING BACK TO KAPP/OSBORN/WASHINGTON/TINGLEHOFF/YARY/ELLER/PAGE/HILGENBERG/KRAUSE/KASSULKE; DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS. MCNABB IS BEING TOLD WHAT TO RUN; HE IS A BIG TIME QB, AND IS A SAVVY VETERAN. BUT HE MUST BE ABLE TO STRETCH THE FIELD, AND THROW DEEP, AND KEEP THE ENEMY DEFENSE OFF BALANCE BY THROWING ON 1ST OR 2ND DOWNS, NOT JUST 3RD DOWNS. HE HAS THE FEEL OF THE GAME CAUSE HE IS ON THE FIELD, NOT ON THE SIDELINES. AP IS OUR BATTERING RAM. WE GAVE AWAY THIS GAME.
    I HOPE OUR OFFENSIVE PLAYCALLER HAS ENOUG IMAGINATION TO KNOW THAT ELEMENT OF SURPRISE, AND KEEPING ENEMY DEFENSES OFF BALANCE IS A REQUISITE TO VICTORY. EVEN THOUGH WE LOST, I GIVE A “WELL DONE” TO THE DEFENSE. ANOTHER WELL KNOWN KEY TO VICTORY IS TO NOT GIVE UP TURNOVERS. LET THE OTHER TEAMS DO THAT. THE GOAL SHOULD BE FEW TURNOVERS, AND A LOT OF TAKEAWAYS.

OUR DIVISION, NFC NORTH, LOOKS VERY TOUGH THIS YEAR; WE SHOULD STRIVE TO LEAD IN TAKEAWAYS, AND DEFENSIVE TDS. THE MEDIA CALLS THIS A “PASSING LEAGUE”, SO IF OUR OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR ONLY INTENDS ON PASSING 15 TIMES PER GAME, HE SHOULD BE FIRED BEFORE THE SEASON IS A TOTAL LOSS. OUR DEFENSIVE OUTLOOK IS GOOD, WITH FRAZIER, PAGAC, AND SINGLETARY OVERSEEING PLAY STRATEGY.

SPECIAL TEAMS IS 1/3 OF THE TEAM, AND SO FAR IT LOOKS GOOD. WE ALSO NEED TAKEAWAYS, AND BLOCKED KICKS AS PART OF OUR GAME PLAN. THE GREAT VIKINGS OF THE 1970S SPECIAL TEAMS MADE A LIVING OFF BLOCKING KICKS, AND FIGURED IN THE MANY VICTORIES OF THOSE SEASONS. THE 1976 SEASON SPECIAL TEAM IN THE SUPER BOWL WERE THE FIRST TEAM TO BLOCK A PUNT BY THE RAIDERS’ RAY GUY. I WAS THERE!! MANY OLD RAM FANS HERE IN LA STILL HATE THE VIKINGS’ GUTS!!

THE VIKINGS STILL MANAGED TO DOMINATE THE LA RAMS NEARLY ALL THE TIME DESPITE THE RAMS’ POWERFUL “FEARSOME FOURSOME”.

GO VIKINGS!! IN THE 2011 SEASON!! WE’LL MAKE UP FOR THE CHARGER LOSS BY SWEEPING THE PACKERS!!

34. By sprint htc evo on Dec 11, 2011 | Reply

Wonderful issues altogether, you just gained a new reader. What could you recommend about your publish that you made some days in the past? Any positive?

2. Sep 10, 2011: Vikings Add Allen Reisner to 53-Man Roster « The Viking Age | A Minnesota Vikings blog