Offense Will “Plan Our Work And Then Work Our Plan” Under Musgrave

Posted by Mike Wobschall on September 8, 2011 – 1:50 pm

Football fans hear all the time that some teams like to script their first set of plays in a game. The idea of scripting plays is often talked about, but I’m not sure how often or in what manner it’s executed. Some coaches claim to script the first 20 plays, others script the first 10.

It sounds like the Vikings will have scripted plays in their weekly game plan under new Offensive Coordinator Bill Musgrave.

“We have a certain number of plays we want to get run in the first half and then we also have some scripted plays that we want to get called in the second half,” Musgrave said on Thursday. “So we sit down as a staff and determine what best matches up against that respective defense.”

So while Musgrave says the Vikings will adopt the strategy of scripting plays, it also sounds like the plan to execute those scripted plays is not how it’s typically understood by those outside of the coaching profession.

“It’s hard to run them right down the list because field position changes, down and distance and things like that,” Musgrave explained, “but we definitely have an itemized and prioritized list that we want to get to at the earliest convenience.”

Musgrave indicated the number of scripted plays can change from week-to-week, but he also said the number of scripted plays is in the 25-50 range.

‘We definitely plan our work and then work our plan,” Musgrave said.

Tags:

79 Responses to “Offense Will “Plan Our Work And Then Work Our Plan” Under Musgrave”

1. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

If our defence can’t slow down Rivers, all the scripted plays in the world won’t mean a thing. Scripted plays tend to go out the window as the deficit increases.

2. By Parody on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Just from that explanation, I get the impression that most of the scripted plays are based on 1st-and-10 situations, possibly a few from X-and-goal. Get success from a mixture of plays so that the defense can’t guess what’s coming next, and base the rest of the plays on the situation.

So long as a play can get significant yardage, the defense will have to try to account for the possibility of seeing it again.

3. By Skol_Vikes98 on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Side note from a different article; For all these bozo’s on other boards who call the Vikes a bunch of dirty and greedy players ….

“It’s all about the team. It’s all about winning,” Shiancoe said. “Last thing the organization needs is a distraction. That’s something I would never do.” (On being a contract year)

I like the overall character of our organization.

4. By Thai on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

I like the idea of some scripted plays. Reason being I thing half of the scripted plays involve running the ball with AP. No matter down and distance, this is a good idea. It is our game plan and Frazier wants the ball in APs hands. Also scripted plays involving Percy. By getting our game changers involved, everything should fall into place.

5. By Titus on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

I like that CA Norwegian has a good mind– I am not sure I would say 15-1 but I won’t be surprised if we win 12 or 13 games.

6. By Titus on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

GO SAINTS!!!!

7. By Titus on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

UGH– Green Bay is on fire.

8. By Titus on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Things will settle down and by third quarter Packers will be behind.

9. By Titus on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Oh, when the Saints go marching in — Here we go!!!!

10. By Titus on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Packers need a good whippin’ This does not look good.

11. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

I really hope this is a case of New Orleans defence being horrible.

12. By Titus on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Who can beat the Pack? Who?

13. By Titus on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Ah, the blog has some life.

14. By Titus on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Sean Payton will adjust– Packers will lose at the end– 47-45.

15. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Pierre “pinball” Thomas.

16. By Titus on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Nova, I feel the Saints are my team right now — I am so rooting for them.

17. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

You had better root harder, Titus.

18. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Can anybody play defence?

19. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Anybody take the “over”?

20. By Titus on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Saints will get going.

21. By Titus on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Ah, I didn’t even see that score– I just heard, 21-17.

22. By Titus on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Told you– Saints are too good and their coaching too good– by the end of the third quarter Lambeau will be quiet and in shock.

23. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Titus, there was a total of 2 touchbacks ALL LAST YEAR at Lambeau Field. Tonight there has already been 5. ……..that is the worst rule change EVER.

24. By Titus on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

I agree, but can the Saints have a horn for tonight?

25. By Titus on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

BAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

26. By Justin F on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Packers win.

27. By Justin F on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

POLL:

What record do you think the Packers will have by the time we face them for the first time?

28. By Titus on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Not going to waste my effort even looking at the Packers schedule— they are not worth my energy. Saints will come back and win this one– 47-45.

29. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

@ Justin……5-1.

30. By Justin F on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

@ Carolina
    @ Chicago
    Denver
    @ Atlanta
    St. Louis

Did it for you, Titus.

31. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

They lose to the Falcons……..revenge.

32. By Titus on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Packers beat Denver, St. Louis, Carolina, lose at Atlanta and Chicago– and lose tonight– GO SAINTS.

3-3

33. By Titus on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

UGGGHHHHHHH

34. By Titus on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

TURNOVER COME ON!!! STRIP THAT BALL!!!

35. By Justin F on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Packers won. It doesn’t really matter to me, because someone had to lose this one. If this game was against the Bears, then I would of been disapointed.

36. By Titus on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Justin, you would have been disappointed? Any game where the Packers win is a loss for us.

37. By Justin F on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

If we lose our game to the Chargers, then yeah. But since we haven’t played yet, I’m not disapointed. Plus you should of known the Packers weren’t going to lay down and die.

38. By Titus on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

I should have known? Of course I did.

39. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

What a crazy game !

40. By Titus on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

So close– I thought from the start the Saints would narrowly win at the end. Now I feel I was cheated out of three and a half hours of my precious time.

41. By Parody on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

In all fairness, that last play shouldn’t have even happened. In the replay, it looked pretty clear that the defender hit the before touching the intended receiver. The Saints were given a gift of one extra play, and they chose to run it straight at a team that has proven much stronger than them up the middle all day.

Poor choice of plays when it mattered the most.

42. By Parody on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Missing word in there:

…pretty clear that the defender hit the ball before touching…

43. By Parody on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

A positive note was struck in the news after the game. They made it sound as if we could be considering a deal for a new stadium by mid October. Pawlenty talked a bit about it, and one thing I took away from his comments was that he explicitly stated that he wants to keep the Vikings in Minnesota.

This renews some hope. I just pray that they don’t disappoint me yet again, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they do.

44. By VegasVike on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Saints are used to getting gifts from the refs….

45. By Titus on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Yes, I was surprised by Sean Payton and Company a few times– Saints could have won this one– maybe Packers will think they are all that now and get a nice blow off their high horse in their next game.

46. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

I would suspect that their goal-line offence will get a heavy practice load this week.

47. By VegasVike on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

That was a good game, intense. Good way to start the season! Unfortunately the pack looks strong.

48. By Titus on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

The Packers look real good. I must be dreaming. Wake me up in the morning. I bet they lose to Carolina. They are humans- they are beatable.

This too shall pass…

49. By VegasVike on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Yes it will pass however the kitties may not be the team to change the tide. Did you say “bet” just because I’m in V Town??

50. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Against Carolina, Rodgers too shall pass…..and light them up.

51. By VegasVike on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

10-4 Nova, I don’t like the pack but I do respect them.

52. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Well folks, close to 2am here, going to have to go. Vegas, drop 200$ on “red” on the big wheel for me, buddy?

53. By Tim on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

The Vikings can beat the pack. The Vikings are gonna kill the Bolts again on Sunday.

54. By vikings4Life on Sep 9, 2011 | Reply

Vikes can beat the packs but rings count at the end something we need to prove.

55. By OLD SCHOOL on Sep 9, 2011 | Reply

Tim….urrrrrr NUTS!

Rodgers or Drew….or anyone who can pass will rip up our Secondary……the packer games are going to be shameful!

56. By Rocksalt on Sep 9, 2011 | Reply

This will be a real test for our defense……we have been somewhat vulnerable to the no huddle offense, which can nullify a pass rush. If we cannot pressure Rivers, it will be a long day……..

57. By David P on Sep 9, 2011 | Reply

I wanted to blog about an observation that occurred during last night’s game. I see the vikings are not the only team that is going into the season with holes. The saints(even though the game was close) did not look like a very good team. The OL gets an F. The defensive front four could not get pressure and when they blitzed most of the time their DB’s got burned. Poor old number 21 and 41 of the saints remained me of Allen and Cook. Those two got abused all night. Oh well. Here is hope that the Vikings DB’s( Allen and Cook) do not look as lost and get burned as bad as the DB’s for the saints did. One more observation about last night. The packers are going to hard to beat and I do not like the packers.

58. By PAUL M. on Sep 9, 2011 | Reply

YOU CAN PRETTY MUCH WRITE IT DOWN: YOU CAN’T STOP RIVERS — ONLY SLOW HIM DOWN — THAT IS, ON DEFENSE.

WE CAN TOTALLY STOP RIVERS, HOWEVER, BY OUR OFFENSE KEEPING HIM OFF THE FIELD THROUGH METHODICAL BALL CONTROL. I’D LIKE TO SEE EXTENDED SCORING DRIVES THAT WILL EAT UP RIVERS’ FIELD TIME & SCORING OPPORTUNITIES.

TO THAT END, SCRIPTING CAN BE INVALUABLE.

59. By VegasVike on Sep 9, 2011 | Reply

Did anyone else see the big sign a packer fan was holding up last night that said “Mr. Rodgers neighborhood”? And “neighborhood” was spelled wrong? How embarrassing

60. By Frederick Jones on Sep 9, 2011 | Reply

@Paul M.,

What you probably mean is that the Chargers Offensive Line can protect Rivers.

NO Quarterback, no matter how talented can operate with defensive linemen on top of him.

Rivers is no more talented than Unitas, Starr, Favre, Brady, or Manning.

The Vikings will have to rush the passer to win this game.

61. By Frederick Jones on Sep 9, 2011 | Reply

@Vegas Viking,

That Packers sign proves that not all Packer Fans are smart.

Did you know that the top brandy drinking state in the USA is Wisconsin?
    We have to assume that they are ranked high in Beer consumption as well.

62. By Woodboat on Sep 9, 2011 | Reply

@Justin F… I don’t know what the Packers record will be when we first face them, but if they play like they did last night, their record will be one game better after they play our boys. Yeesh!

63. By Woodboat on Sep 9, 2011 | Reply

@David P… one major reason that the Saints couldn’t get to Rodgers is that the Packers actually saw that their O Line sucked (remember Favre v Rodgers first meeting?) and did something about it. When you have enough time to eat a PB&J before throwing the football, you are going to have success as a QB. I will guarantee you that we won’t have any better success at rattling Rodgers than the Saints did, barring injury to the Packs line.

PS. God forbid we see Asher Allen trying to cover the Packers WRs. Might as well just play with 10 men on the field.

64. By Woodboat on Sep 9, 2011 | Reply

@ Paul M … while I agree in theory, in practice it doesn’t work so well. Long, sustained drives, while eating up the clock, require consistant success on 3rd downs. That’s not something I’d depend upon the Vikes for at this point.

You are also assuming that we are going to score at the end of long drives. Our red zone offense isn’t what it should be, as shown by our lack of production by the 1st stringers in the TD department.

You are also assuming that we will stop SD on the few possessions we theoretically allow them. I don’t know that we are going to have a huge amount of success keeping them scoreless.

I think the only chance we have of winning this game is playing with the lead. Take it to them on offense, take shots down the field early to loosen them up. If we can get a 2 score lead (a guy can dream…), then we may see some success on blitzes and such. If we get behind early, I don’t think we have the team (right now) to recover.

65. By VegasVike on Sep 9, 2011 | Reply

Even tho the saints got a couple calls thrown their way, (they always do) they still held strong against a strong team. I forsee 3 losses for us as we play the saints too. Any game we play against a solid offense this year is probably not gonna turn out too well. A talented QB is gonna rip us apart, hate to say it.

66. By David P on Sep 9, 2011 | Reply

Woodboat, Well said, maybe this year the vikings will see what a huge problem the OL and the DB’s are and will address it in the offseason. And when the vikes play the pack I hope Allen is given the night off.

67. By VegasVike on Sep 9, 2011 | Reply

Fredrick- I wonder if you can go out cheesehead tipping like they go cow tipping haha?

68. By Rocksalt on Sep 9, 2011 | Reply

IMO, The Vikes are in a “prove it” year.they must prove to everyone their abilities both on Offense and Defense…….

69. By VegasVike on Sep 9, 2011 | Reply

10-4 David, we are gonna miss F4VRE’s “make or break” game face. I’m not sold on McN being able to carry a whole team on his shoulders like 4 used too.

70. By Woodboat on Sep 9, 2011 | Reply

What VegasVike said… truth.

Rocksalt, the problem is that this is a team sport. You can’t show off your talents if your teammates, even some of them, don’t have the necessary talent to show off. I wouldn’t trade Peterson for any other RB in the league, maybe even in history. But if he doesn’t get the support from his line, he can’t “prove” anything.

Barry Sanders was one of the top talents in the history of this league, but his team sucked so his numbers aren’t topping the record books. He was markedly more talented than Emmit Smith, but Emmit holds the hardware. O-Line, Troy and Michael.

I think this year its GOT to become clear to ownership/management where our real weaknesses are, and they will be FORCED to correct it. If they don’t, we need to prepare ourselves to become bottomfeeders for quite some time.

71. By sandiamond on Sep 9, 2011 | Reply

@ Rock right on! we have until week three(2 winable games at home) to get things rolling and prove the doubters wrong. this week we are 9 point underdogs highest spread this week in nfl

72. By VegasVike on Sep 9, 2011 | Reply

9 points?? Looks like I better run down to a casino and put it all on purple!

73. By sandiamond on Sep 9, 2011 | Reply

Yep bookies usually off first part of the season on some _ teams including the VIKS!

74. By Rocksalt on Sep 9, 2011 | Reply

Woodboat——–I was referring to the whole team having to prove it.not just individual efforts……….

75. By likejoeybrowner on Sep 9, 2011 | Reply

When did Asher Allen get burned….what game by what reciever….i’ve watched every game for the last 40 years…..instat replays out the yang…Just because he hasn’t broken the starting lineup doesn’t mean he can’t cover….I like him….now Cook is a different story!!!

76. By likejoeybrowner on Sep 9, 2011 | Reply

I live in the same city as Cook….and with me being a HUGE viking fan….I don’t respect him….he did nothing all summer but get high and drink beer…and that’s the truth.

77. By Frederick Jones on Sep 9, 2011 | Reply

@Vegas Vike,

It’s early, and I think that injuries will again riddle the NFL.

If the Vikings can get their DL personnel to get their hands
    up when rushing the passer, our defensive backs suddenly
    become good enough.

It’s going to take dealing with adversity for the Vikings to play their
    best. I am impressed with the TEAM attitude I’ve seen so far this year.

78. By VegasVike on Sep 9, 2011 | Reply

@Frederick
    All agreed, the team seems comfortable within themselves. My hopes are we become a scoring machine like 1998 and put the competition on their heels!

2. Sep 8, 2011: FEATURED VIKINGS ARTICLE: Offense Will “Plan Our Work And Then Work Our Plan” Under Musgrave | The Viking Ship | Minnesota Vikings Blog