Frazier Reflects On Peterson’s Record-Setting 2007 Performance

Posted by Mike Wobschall on September 7, 2011 – 1:08 pm

The Vikings and San Diego Chargers will meet this Sunday to open the 2011 season. And if RB Adrian Peterson plays anything like he did the last time the Vikings and Chargers met, the Vikings will open the season with an upset victory.

It was Week 9 of the 2007 season, Peterson’s rookie campaign, and the Vikings welcomed the Chargers to Minneapolis. But San Diego left that evening probably wishing they had never made the trip. Peterson carried the ball 30 times and set an NFL single-game rushing record by gaining 296 yards, breaking the record set by Jamal Lewis (295 yards for Baltimore). In the 296-yard effort, Peterson scored on runs of 1, 46 and 64 yards and ultimately he guided the Vikings to a 35-17 victory.

Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier, then the Defensive Coordinator for the Vikings, was asked on Wednesday what he remembered about that performance.

“Just that second half, the way he just exploded,” Frazier said. “When you look at his numbers in the second half compared to the first half, it’s just mind-boggling that he could raise the level of play to the degree that he did.”

Frazier is right. Peterson gained 253 of those 296 yards in the 2nd half and he scored two of his three TDs that day in the final two quarters as well.

“The long runs, hitting the hole as crisp as he did, it was just a great day,” Frazier said. “But what I remember is what he amassed in the second half. He took over the game, much like what you see basketball players do when they get on a roll and no matter what you do, you can’t stop them. He was the same way; every time he touched it, you felt like something good was going to happen. Just a great day.”

If a guy is going to give you 296 yards on the ground, you can’t be too picky about when in the game most of those yards will be gained. But for this Sunday’s game against the Chargers, the Vikings would benefit if Peterson could get it going on the ground early in the game. The Chargers feature an explosive offense, particularly through the air with QB Philip Rivers at the controls, so if the Vikings can control the clock and set a tempo early, it will help the Vikings defense keep San Diego’s offense at bay.

Tags: ,

59 Responses to “Frazier Reflects On Peterson’s Record-Setting 2007 Performance”

1. By Parody on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

How are those contract talks coming along for AP? If he has a good long contract in his pocket, AP is the type of player to make sure that he earns every penny of it. Let’s hope the deal gets done before the season officially begins.

2. By Viking Joe on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

I have that game burned on a DVD, great performance, now let’s give him an extension, 4 year 50 million sounds appropriate !!!

3. By Jeff Vander Woude on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

It was the last game I have seen in person. I took my son dad and father-in-law. It was just unbelievable. Also I had no idea until the annoucement was made that he broke the record also. One other thing was the Vikings were booed off the field at half after cromartie ran back the missed field goal 109 yards, then the 2nd half happened.

4. By Rudso on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Hey Viking Joe, do you think I can get a copy of that game you have on DVD? I became a Viking fan after AP’s rookie year, I would love to watch that game in its entirety. All I can find is the highlights on youtube.

Or does anyone know if there is a website where I can find that game? My email is cks_rudso@hotmail.com just in case.

5. By Rudso on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Jeff, wow that sounds like it was one memory for you and your family to remember. I’m going to the Chargers vs. Vikings game with my sister to see them play live for the first time. I’ll be happy if AP can get HALF of what he got during the game he broke the record, but I’m hoping his still got some anti-Charger juice left from 2007 haha.

6. By Skol_Vikes98 on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

I’m still mad they pulled him so early in the fourth and wouldn’t let him get to 300 yards……

7. By Viking Joe on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Rudso, are you on facebook, I definitely would give you a copy, it is in only 480p, but I play it in my Blu-Ray.

8. By CA Norwegian on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Proobably better to not make your bootlegging a matter of record on an NFL site. I think they would rather you subscribed to NFL game rewind or some official approved way to look at old games that gives the league due compensation.

9. By Mike B. on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

lol especially now they have an email addy to trace.

10. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Not a smart move.

11. By Parody on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

What are the odds he used a real address though? Just so long as you put anything that looks like an e-mail address, (x@x.com for example), in the e-mail field, it allows you to post.

12. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Parody……You could be right……you click on it !!!!!

13. By slader on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

ya. that last run that was 3 yards that broke the record didnt even look like 3 yards. then the idiot childress took him out. i think in the future they will look back at that game 2 see if the stats r right.. if they already havent. GO VIKES

14. By slader on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

and by the way. lets c if cj2k can ever put up those numbers in a game.

15. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

KKKKKIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLL RRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!!!!!!!!!!!

16. By Parody on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Relax Nova. First we have to watch the Saints kill Rodgers. Then we have to listen to commentators for 3 days explaining why the Packers were just having a bad day, are still the best team in the world and will go back to the Super Bowl, yadayadayada. THEN we can watch our team begin their comeback run!

17. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

KKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL RRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRSSSSSSS !

18. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

KKKKKKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL CCCCCCCOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTOOOOORRRRRRRRRSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

19. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

OK,….I’m relaxed.

20. By Parody on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

That’s too bad Nova. I was enjoying you’re wild side!

21. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Parody, after watching these guys since /68, I pretty much have a reason to hate every other team in the NFL. ….If not, I’ll make one up !!

22. By Rudso on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Man, relax guys, I’m not planning a murder, just want to see a past Viking game lol. Viking Joe, ya I have facebook but now these guys got me scared about posting my full name lol. But the email I posted is my email. I hope they don’t put me in jail before I get to see my Vikings play live on Sunday haha. SKOL VIKINGS!

23. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police want to talk to you at the nearest Dunkin’ Donuts !!!!!!!!!!!

24. By Viking Joe on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

SKOL VIKINGS !!!

25. By Mike B. on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Gooooo Vikings

26. By Titus on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Rudso, as an educator and a writer, I can tell you that copyright laws are NO JOKE. Just ask the lady in northern MN who was told she owed the music industry more than she will make in 30 lifetimes.

27. By sandiamond on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

@ Parody yes a big game tomorrow night. makes me a feel sick rooting for the Saints_ but got to bit the bullet and pull for them anyway

28. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

OK Titus…..You have the right to remain silent………

29. By Titus on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

But Nova, I am innocent…

30. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Tell it to the judge.

31. By Titus on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

I have a funny feeling Green Bay is going to lose not just the game, but Rodgers. Remember the game plan against Favre? Rodgers is going to get plummeted.

32. By Titus on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

I never did see that game where AP broke the record.

33. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Neither did the S.D. defence.

34. By Titus on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

South Dakota?

35. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Sonja Doberman.

36. By Titus on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

I just watched a piece on nfl.com about SB predictions– Warren Sapp chose the Chargers– three others said GB, with two saying GB will win it all.

37. By Titus on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

We really need to win this first one– if we do, we beat the SB champs.

38. By Titus on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

So, by nfl logic, if we win Sunday, I predict Vikings in the Superbowl…

39. By DRS on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

• Vikings Take Stance on a Referendum‏

Media reports over the last week have included speculation about a potential referendum for the proposed new stadium in Arden Hills. Both Speaker of the House Kurt Zellers and Senate Majority Leader Amy Koch went on record late last week expressing support for a ballot vote, and given the numerous follow-up questions and comments from our supporters, the team wanted to provide its thoughts on a referendum.
    1. A referendum was not required for the Twins/Hennepin County agreement to build Target Field, a project that had an immediate economic impact on downtown Minneapolis and has already become a significant state asset. The Vikings are asking that our stadium proposal be held to the same standard as Target Field.
    2. A referendum would not be held until November 2012. That is 11 months after the Vikings lease at the Metrodome expires, meaning the Vikings would no longer have a suitable Minnesota home. In addition, a referendum would delay a major state infrastructure project – estimated to employ more than 7,000 people in a construction industry suffering from significant unemployment – by more than a year.
    3. By delaying the project with a referendum, we would send the wrong message to the state legislature and the NFL about wanting the Vikings to stay in Minnesota.

40. By DRS on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Sorry people I have the stadium issue on my mind, and very worried about it. Go Vikings, hopefully SB win 2011 and they stay in Minnesota. That would make this fan from 1968 day.

41. By DRS on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

In addition to the $407 million contribution, the Vikings would cover cost overruns on the project and $20 million a year in operational costs and capital improvements.

“That contribution is the third-largest private contribution in NFL history after the Cowboys and after the Jets-Giants. It’s the third-largest private contribution for a stadium in league history,” Bagley said. “The point is the Wilfs have done everything required, everything asked. They’ve stepped up. They’ve been good owners. They’ve put real money, significant dollars, on the table in a small market. We’re close to getting this done.”

But a referendum could kill the deal. Citizens rarely vote to raise taxes on themselves. The Vikings contend that they should be held to the same standards that were at play when the Minnesota Twins

42. By DRS on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

The question is, Minnesota do you want the Vikings or not? Will you let the Vikings go the way of the Lakers, North Stars? Well what is it Minnesota? Fans in Minnesota please call, write, get hold of your law makers and tell them to get off their a-ss and get this stadium deal done or they are gone when the Vikings go bye bye.

43. By Mike R. on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

@DRS

I am a Pennsy Viking fan. I would send money or be taxed myself in order for the Vikings to stay in Minnesota.

44. By Mike B. on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

I understand the Vikings don’t want a Referendum after the twins was able to get their deal done without one. But even the Vikings Staff should note that in this economy no politician is going to ask for more taxes without the approval of the voters. It is up to those that want the Stadium to educate the voters on the Benefits and Consequences of not voting for the Stadium. I hope they can get it done without a Referendum, but plan for the worse. This is a job maker and money maker for the State overall, but it’s up to the Wilfs and the Govenor to assure the voters the Vikings are going to stay and the benefits of the Stadium. Have a great end of the week.

45. By Rocksalt on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Calling for a referendum is a gutless move by the repugnantcant legislators. They were elected to vote and represent their consitiuents on such matters. To throw it back to the public is simply passing on their tresponsibilities…

46. By ozzinator on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

If everyone is going to pay the tax, then everyone deserves a shot at voting on it. The Democrooks never met a tax increase they didn’t like!

47. By Woodboat on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Yeah, the Democrats need to take a page from the Reps and spend money they don’t have. Maybe the Reps in Minn. should just vote the new stadium through, sign contracts with the builders, and then not pay them once the place is built.

48. By Woodboat on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Enough about politics, though. I gotta say this is one of the best weeks of the year. Every team in the league is 0-0, every team has the same chance (sort of) to make it to the championship, and every fan can’t help but get their hopes up for the coming season.

With the shortened off season and our shortfalls in certain areas, I’m hoping our guys can get to 8-8 with a strong finish that gives them something to build on for next year. I think they are going to have a rough go of it early on, and I hope that our QBs and RBs can withstand the onslaught that they are going to face this season. Here’s hoping that our O-Line doesn’t turn Ponder into David Carr.

49. By ozzinator on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Oh yeah, like our liberal wing nut pres and gov. maybe?

50. By Vikings4Life on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Hoping for 8-8 nice goals, you must have a million next years to look forward to.

51. By VikeFan on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

@Rocksalt Well said..

Minnesota better wake up. A vote includes none fans. Now I know this sounds funny. But there are non fans of the Twins, the Wild and Wolves. My question is, did any votes go to any tax dollars toward those teams. If so then I can shut up. But if not, if the counties or state did not vote on those teams. Where is the democracy? We vote on what other individuals GIVE us the RIGHT to vote on? Its a Sham, the politicians do not want the responsibility your tax dollar is paying for. They are willing to pass the buck and leave it to the others. If the vote goes through and does not pass the fans will blame the county not the people voted in office to make the choice. This is frustrating, its not fair, because the tax dollar a Twins (LOL) fan is spending toward his team maybe increased for a team he/she doesnt care about…has a problem. Well, I’m Minnesota born and raised. I would loose Hockey AGAIN, Basketball AGAIN and the TWINs before I would want to loose the Vikes. GO VIKINGS!!!!

52. By Rudso on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

I’m torn on this stadium issue. I know the Vikings have a rich history in Minnesota and in the NFC North division but I’m a Viking fan that lives in Los Angeles lol. It would be almost like a dream come true if the Vikings moved to LA and I could buy season tickets. We already have the Lakers, thanks for that by the way, who are purple and gold, the Vikings would fit perfectly in LA.

Now to the Chargers game, if the Vikings can pull a W on the road vs Rivers and his explosive offense, it would be a GREAT start. The team could possibly role on that momentum and get a W vs. the Bucs and Lions but that’s a big IF and anything can happen in the NFL. This is a big game for the Vikings to start their season with.

53. By Woodboat on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

@Vikings4life… Nah, I just don’t have my head in the sand. I’m TRYING to stay positive, which is pretty difficult with this team. 6-10 last year and they went backwards talent-wise (for the most part). With a shortened off-season, a new OC, new QB which I view as a downgrade, a broken O-Line, weak D-Line, weak p@ss coverage from our DBs…. yeah, I’m hoping for 8-8. I’m expecting much less.

54. By CA Norwegian on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

The Texans have an explosive Offense too. I think this could be the hardest win this regualr season. I think we could go 15-1, if the injuries are not against us. The one just might be game one. Slow Start? The Vikings got a slow start last year. If we could predict the future based on the past, Vegas would go broke. Anything but snow could happen in this game. I’m hoping for the SB preview,

55. By CA Norwegian on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

And yes that thing they say about using game recordings without NFL approval being prohibited, is meant to protect the institution we love. So don’t take candy from a baby and listen to what the man on TV says before the game.

56. By Woodboat on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Proof that CA Norwegian ate paint chips as a child….

“I think we could go 15-1, if the injuries are not against us.”

You have got to start proofreading your posts before you hit submit. You accidentally put down 15-1. It’s ok, we all know you didn’t mean it. :)

57. By Viking Joe on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

I still thinkk a 10-6 season is highly possible, barring any major injuries.

58. By Woodboat on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

You may be right, Viking Joe. It’s entirely possible I’m underestimating our players abilities as a team. Maybe the coaching changes at the top and at OC will make a significant difference… lord knows it sure can’t hurt. Maybe the new blocking scheme will help out the O Line shortcomings. Maybe having Griffin and Cook back will help shore up our DBs. Maybe a few of the rookies and FAs will pan out and we’ll get more out of them then expected. I hope so.

2. Sep 12, 2011: A Look At the First Game and Updates « KeepingUpWithTheVikes