Checkout The First Edition Of The ‘Sunday Slant’

Posted by Mike Wobschall on September 4, 2011 – 4:12 pm

On Sunday morning we debuted a brand-new weekly feature on vikings.com called the “Sunday Slant.” This weekly op-ed style piece will be posted on Sunday mornings throughout the regular season and will touch on the hot-button topics in the world of the Vikings and the NFL as you prepare for another Vikings game day.

This week’s “Sunday Slant” is a season-preview edition and will serve as a “toes in the water” version of this new feature. It includes my thoughts on Head Coach Leslie Frazier, predictions on who will win each of the NFL’s divisions and a few Vikings to watch early in the season. Next week, and in subsequent installments throughout the season, we’ll dive right into the topics on everyone’s mind – and we’ll offer plenty of opinions along the way.

Also, don’t forget to utilize the comments feature at the bottom of the feature to chime in with your opinion and contribute to the discussion with other Vikings fans. You can click here or on the “Sunday Slant” link above to read the first installment.

Tags:

20 Responses to “Checkout The First Edition Of The ‘Sunday Slant’”

1. By vikingrob22 on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

mike where can I find out who vikes signed to practice squad?

2. By Shawn on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

I just hope in 2011 on Sundays Berrian can catch a slant … unlike the Berrian I remember from 2010

3. By Mike Wobschall on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

No practice squad announcement today/tonight.

4. By dannyboy on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

I know matt a and ryan i were signed to the practice squad also the wr from the b.c. lions arcanaux

5. By dannyboy on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

at least thats what i read

6. By dannyboy on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

sorry i meant ryan dimperio

7. By VegasVike on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Mike, did you mean you think McNabb will look to Rudolph in your last paragraph of the slant?

“further, I think McNabb will look to Ponder at a crucial point in a game early this season, and if Rudolph comes”

8. By Mike Wobschall on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Yes, thank you. Fixing now.

9. By steve conway on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Mike:

tough year ahead for Vikes. Outside chance at 8-8 record but injuries will dictate. I think they might play better on the road than at home this year ! what do you think?

10. By Be Sane and Serious on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

If Vikes win at San DIego, then we could be in for a very good year– 12-4.

11. By Be Sane and Serious on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

I swear that l looked like an i– maybe I need an HD monitor. San Diego.

12. By Richard on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Can’t believe vikings paid 3.8 million again for Barrian when we have a guy on practice squad that will get the ball in traffic and pull it in Emmanuel

I also think the vikes will bring back the guy they moved to practice squad from tigt ends they just cut to make room for linebacker

I don’t see shishanko and rudolph staying healthy all yr I figure combined they miss 6 games

love the youth

If webb had ponders motivation he would be the best qb ever

Go Webb

The packers won last yr with all sorts of 5th 6th 7th round talent along with unsigned free agents

the vikes can do the same thing

I think the team wins 10 games if they don’t over use our running back adrian peterson

must spread ball all over the place

also predict mcnabb will do great

13. By Rocksalt on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Cut Heath Farwel?????? I do not get this move………

14. By Mike Wobschall on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Steve – I think the Vikings will have a better home record than road record. But interesting thought…maybe you’ll be right. I agree with what you said on injuries. They are always a major factor in a team’s ability to succeed, although the Packers won it all last year with a bunch of injuries. A part of me thinks that’s part of why the Packers played so well; they had a bunch of backups in the lineup over-performing. That’s not a bad way to have it.

Richard – Berrian is not making $3.8 million. Check your facts.

Rocksalt – Read today’s Monday Morning Mailbag, which will be posted at about 7:55 a.m. There’s a brief explanation of this move.

15. By Dennis Bakken sr on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

i think we have a winning team go vikings

16. By Carl K on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Richard- B Berrian restructured his contract. I think he will make 1.9 mil this year and become a free agent after that.

17. By Troy on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Mike,Is there any chance the vikings can lock up Peterson and or Greenway before seasons end?Im a big believer in taking care of your players whos play deserves to be compensated.If you dont sign a high draft choice to a second contract than that draft pick was unsuccessful.(See Syndney Rice)

18. By Carl Brodin on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Speilman get Peterson&Greenway signed.

19. By TrUViKeSFaN on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Who I want to see in the Super Bowl this year is, Baltimore Ravens(AFC) and Minnesota Vikings(NFC) OF COURSE!!!!

I just got a strange feeling, that the Vikings will be better than what everybody thinks, and they will make it to the playoffs, with a good chance to get to the Super Bowl. I also, believe that McNabb will have a solid year, and maybe be a surprising pro bowl pick. But, that is a MAYBE(with the Pro Bowl prediction), but I do believe he can MOS DEF lead us to the playoffs. I truly believe, that our team, is a WHOLE A LOT better than, what they’re portrayed to be by the media and some fans.

Baltimore, is my favorite team in the AFC, and I believe they upgraded their team enough, to get pass the Steelers this year and make it to the Super Bowl.

I’m a fan that is trusting EVERTHING, our coaching staff is doing with the Vikes, and until I get proven wrong, i will continue to stay optimistic towards our team this regular season. To me, last year was LAST YEAR, and A LOT can happen in one year.

I did want Jaymar Johnson to make the squad, but like I said before, I’m trusting our coaching staff, like a TrUViKeSFaN. I do believe, that San Diego has a GREAT team, but I MOS DEF, can’t say I KNOW FOR A FACT we will lose, because we do have McNabb, Harvin, AP, and the list continues. I just feel that this will be a good game, and it is a GREAT first opponent to play against, to see what direction our team may be going. SKOL VIKINGS!!!!

20. By TrUViKeSFaN on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

I would like to add though, I would LOVE to see a new signing at the safety position. Too bad, we couldn’t get Meriweather, I am a little shaky with the other safety postion. I am o.k with Husain Abdullah, but we need somebody alongside him, better than Tyrell Johnson, I feel he needs to be cut.