A Look At The Vikings 53-Man Roster; Frazier, Spielman Quotes

Posted by Mike Wobschall on September 3, 2011 – 4:00 pm

The Vikings are officially in compliance with the NFL’s roster requirements and have trimmed their roster from 80 players to 53. Here’s a look at how they got down to 53 and which players comprise the roster.

To get from 80 to 53, the Vikings waived/released the following players: RBs Tristan Davis, Caleb King and Alexander Robinson; FBs Matt Asiata and Ryan D’Imperio; TE Jeff Dugan; WRs Manny Arceneaux, Stephen Burton, Juaquin Iglesias and Jaymar Johnson; OL Ryan Cook, Chris DeGeare, Byron Isom and Thomas Welch; DL David Akinniyi, Tremaine Johnson, Cedric McKinley and Stylez White; LBs Heath Farwell, David Herron and Ross Homam; DBs Tony Carter, Ryan Hill, Cord Parks (Injured) and Devon Torrence.

The Vikings also placed LB Jasper Brinkley on the Reserved/Injured list.

“This is a difficult day every year because of the tough decisions that have to be made,” Vikings VP of Player Personnel Rick Spielman said. “We had a number of young players that made strong impressions throughout training camp and the preseason in practices and games. They earned a spot on our roster and we will count on them to contribute this season and help us accomplish our goals.”

That leaves the following players on the Vikings roster…

QBs: Donovan McNabb, Christian Ponder, Joe Webb
RBs: Adrian Peterson, Toby Gerhart, Lorenzo Booker
WRs: Percy Harvin, Bernard Berrian, Michael Jenkins, Greg Camarillo, Devin Aromashodu
TEs: Visanthe Shiancoe, Jim Kleinsasser, Kyle Rudolph, Allan Reisner
OL: Charlie Johnson, Steve Hutchinson, John Sullivan, Anthony Herrera, Phil Loadholt, Jon Cooper, DeMarcus Love, Pat Brown, Seth Olsen and Brandon Fusco
DL: Jared Allen, Kevin Williams (suspended Weeks 1-2), Remi Ayodele, Brian Robison, Everson Griffen, Letroy Guion, Christian Ballard, Adrian Awasom, Fred Evans, D’Aundre Reed
LBs: E.J. Henderson, Chad Greenway, Erin Henderson, Kenny Onatolu and Larry Dean
CBs: Antoine Winfield, Cedric Griffin, Chris Cook, Asher Allen, Brandon Burton, Marcus Sherels
Safeties: Husain Abdullah, Tyrell Johnson, Jamarca Sanford, Eric Frampton, Mistral Raymond
Specialists: LS Cullen Loeffler, P Chris Kluwe, K Ryan Longwell

“I’m excited about the makeup and character of our 53-man roster as we prepare for the 2011 regular season,” Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier said. “It’s extremely difficult to tell players that we are going in a different direction without them.  It’s especially hard when they are veterans that have been quality players and starters for us over the years and have been a big part of our team, on and off the field. They are good people and good players and we wish them the best in the future.”

Posted in All | 259 Comments »

259 Responses to “A Look At The Vikings 53-Man Roster; Frazier, Spielman Quotes”

1. By Max on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

4 TEs and no FBs…Interesting. I wonder if we’ll see a FB on the roster by week 1?

2. By Zach on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Can’t believe D’Aundre Reed made it over DeGeare or a sixth reciever.

3. By VikFan on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Think they should have kept Caleb King, Jaymar Johnson, and Stylez White

4. By VikingJim on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I’m kind of surprised they kept 5 Offensive lineman and 11 DBs, but I think this may change if they pick up someone else from waivers.

5. By VikingJim on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I meant 10 Offensive lineman.

6. By dannyboy on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Reed has got a ton of potential, but I really liked c king, Im also glad reisner made it. I dont think they will sign a fullback instead using kleinsasser which will fit the offense well. I would like to have seen a younger wr over greg c though.

7. By dannyboy on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

cook and degeare were a shock but I trust our new o-line coach

8. By kevinwi on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Do we read that ponder listed 2nd that he is #2 QB?

9. By dannyboy on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I think so, I like webb but I think ponder has a ton of upside as does webb, but him being selected so high i’d say ponder is the number 2

10. By Taylor on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Nice to see Marcus Sherels on there!

11. By Mike Wobschall on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Don’t read into the way I listed players. There isn’t an official depth chart yet.

12. By Zeke on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I agree with Taylor! I really wanted Marcus Sherels to make it this year! Way to go Marcus and thanks Leslie for not overlooking Marcus’s talent!

13. By Ray Bustos on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Anyone else shocked that Farewell got cut! Special teams will miss him HUGE!!

14. By hivicar on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

A couple of those names will, of course, be late releases. Some upgrades should be found on the wire now!

15. By vikingrob22 on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

great to see brown , olsen,cooper ,and fusco made it..

looks like we are serious about running the ball.these guys pound D’s as serious run teams should..

16. By Dawg on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

We need a linebacker BAD

17. By Adam on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Jaymar Johnshon getting cut makes me sad… Would have been nice to kinda get more youth in the WR area… Not to mention JJ has so much talent!

18. By borgis on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

some of these players will be back on to the practice squad. i hope to see c. king and arceneaux back

19. By vikings fan1955 on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I like the team we have now and thing the coachs have done a great job so far and we will get a good indication with the first game. i see a good d that should improve each game, we have 3 good qb’s 2 that will be real good in the future. I think I see a better recieving corps and BB has shown very good improvement in preseason. If he continues into the season him jenkins and harvin will be the top trio in the league. Ap is drooling now he has to be with the recievers doing as well as they are and the way the line has blocked in the preseason for him and 3 qb’s thats are capable of getting him and the recievers the ball. I like the way the the coaches are calling the d and o plays.I think if we don’t go all the way this yr which I feel we can next yr we will be one of the top 3 rated teams, Good work coaches and congrats on the job, Frasier.

20. By borgis on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

dawg we need more dawg’s

21. By Huy on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I’m glad that Brandon “Badass” Fusco made it.

22. By borgis on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

there’s great chemistry on staff and i think it’ll be contagous

23. By mike on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Looks like were in for another long year with inconsistency we got the same roster with less playmakers. No more williams wall no Sidney rice still missing a shut down corner even though I think Sherels can step up I know we won’t give him a chance to do much but play special team, we still have question marks at our safety spot O line is suspect and I font think the peoples in our office have a clue what talent is 0

24. By Carl Brodin on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Mike,
    Only part of the Vikes roster i did not agree with was Tyrell Johnson is on it. He has had 2 or 3 chances and he has failed but i guess it pays to be the coaches pet. I also think when K. Will comes off suspension D. Reed will go on the practice squad. What about the LB we signed that i read on another blog? Otherwise the roster looks pretty good. Oh yeah Brandon Merriweather was cut by the Patriots. What do you think about him becoming a Minnesota Viking?

25. By VegasVike on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Looks like an awesome lineup to start the season, thanks Mike W for getting the news out ASAP. Sorry to see Cord Parks didn’t make the cut, I didn’t see too much pre season but I though he had some talent.

26. By Carl Brodin on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Mike not the blog writer what makes you a talent evaluater. I will agree with you on one thing it will be a year or two before we get to the super bowl but we can make the playoffs at least as a wild card team.

27. By Billy on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Looks like Spilman and the boys did a great job in drafting as usual. The 6 round picks of Love and Fuco look like great picks. I keep hearing after the draft both these guys had 2nd round talent and fell because of injurys.I see the Pack release a really good reciever and chester taylor is avalable. Ya the Viks will pick up a few players that were cut and the VIKS WLL BE SET. REALLY MAKING A NICE MOVE FOR YOUNGER PLAYERS AT MANY POSITIONS

28. By Titus on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Thanks Mike for clarifying that the players were not listed in any ranking in the depth chart– I wondered that immediately. I probably would have made that clear in the article and I definitely would not have placed a qualifier next to Kevin Williams’ name– this is a list, and we all know about the suspension– it just appears not too classy to place that by his name.

29. By Thomas A. on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I like the new roster, glad to see some of the young guys make it!! I think Dean, Reisner, Fusco, Br. Burton and Raymond are going to be great players for us!! I am also excited to see how Ballard, Awasom, and Sherels do this season, I think they will help us out a lot this year and in years to come!!! Very excited for the regular season! Go Vikes!!!!!!

30. By Justin F on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Don’t worry everyone. If someone you liked got cut, they could still get signed back to the practice squad next week. That is, if they don’t get picked up by another team.

31. By Remember Met Stadium on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Dont forget, they can re-sign 8 of these guys to the pratice squad after they clear waivers. At least the rookies.

32. By jim10233 on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I think they should move toby geirhart to fullback and have a franco harris rocky blier type 1-2 punch

33. By jim10233 on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

The office has consistently picked up some great talent as a fan of the vikings for 40+ years I like what i’m seeing and they made some tough cuts on young talent that i believe were awsome, safety has been a concern since joey browner, someone will step up

34. By MIvikefan on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Great to see that Larry Dean made the team. He was probably the reason that Heath Farwell didn’t.

35. By vikings fan1955 on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

mike we all have our opinion and I will same yes most of what u said is true we have a lot of the same but the difference is we have plugged holes and thats what makes us better and also some from last yr have improved and thats why they are still here. U ask does the office know talent well we have ap, harvin,mc Nabb, still half the williams,winfield, allen,longwell, jenkins and u don’t see talent then it’s u that don’t know tallent when u see it.

36. By purplehorn on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

No way Dugan, Cook or Farwell go to the practice squad. I think I know who will get picked back up, but don’t want to say anything right now. I’m covering my mouth with the playsheet.

37. By perez2929 on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

safety is the biggest concern, couple of big names out there that were cut . hope to see some upgrades.

38. By AJ on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Suprised to see King go. He could be a solid player, same with Devon Torrence. Now the Vikes should go after Meriweather.

39. By David P on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Farwell will be picked up as will King. That leaves players that the vikings wanted to cut to fill practice squad spots. Farwell was a decent LB and an outstanding special teams player. He will be missed.

40. By jeff reinert on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

i cant believe they kept bernard berrian….really! mr. non-productive.
    t.o. or alot of other fa’s would be much better.

41. By TwoodsnVikes on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

All receivers that got cut are better than BB, but we all knew that already… including the vikes..

42. By TwoodsnVikes on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

but even with that mistake… having Harvin, Jenkins, Shank, Rudolf, and AD on the field at the same time… is going to be awesome… BARROOOOOOOOOOO

43. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

As for Arceneaux, there is a reason that he played in the CFL.

44. By VegasVike on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

There’s gonna be a lot more moves coming, we just got a lot younger while retaining some talented vets. Some guys will step up and some guys will go away. It ain’t over til it’s over

45. By Derik on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Camarillo should have been cut. Nothing against him but we would be better served developing a young guy in that position. I think they should have kept Jaymar instead of him. We need a linebacker for depth and a strong safety pick up then I think we’ll be good. Anxious to see who makes it on the practice squad. Have some young guys with potential that got cut today.

46. By Ty on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

if the vikings staff was smart they would try to get Brandon Meriweather to fix the safty position

47. By VikeFan on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Why did we keep 4 centers???? I cant believe we have a specialist center to long snap. Surely he can block and regular snap the ball right? AARRGGHH. They better all block better than the rest of the Oline left behind. Good luck Vikes

48. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Every time I see that Direct TV ad with Deon Sanders flitting around with those wings, I wish I was there with a fly-swatter.

49. By e on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I’m excited to see Mistral on the team. i think he’ll be able to move ahead of Johnson some time this year unless Johnson starts making plays of course. It will be interesting to see if we can get another LB after the dust settles as that’s not a spot you want to start thin at. I’m not surprised that King and Robinson were let go even though they both showed that they are serviceable RBs. They’ll find a spot on someones roster this year. I figured Burton and Sherels would make it at CB as they both made plays and were involved in the action which is how you make a team in pre-season.

50. By Aaron on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I’m Allen Reisner’s brother and he is listed as TE but also plays H-back so a full back isn’t a problem Go Vikes

51. By VegasVike on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Haha Nova! There’s a few commercials I’d like to take a swat at, Head & Shoulders for example?
    @Vikefan, have you ever seen a “non” long snapper snap a long snap?

52. By Jake on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Congrats to Sherels!!! Glad he made the cut. Disappointed in receiver though i think that one ov the younger receivers should have made it past the cuts. Not a fan of Camarillo.

53. By TwoodsnVikes on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Camarillo has great hands he is just never targeted, the opposite of a certain other receiver on the vikes I know…. Merriwether would be huge, I’m sure we don’t have the cap space though, I wouldn’t mind seeing winfield go either to make some room, great run corner but not much for coverage

54. By benchwammer purple spud on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

i agree not king lost a good runner with heart

55. By benchwammer purple spud on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

i am glad Sherels made it!!!! wish King could have!!!!

56. By VikeFan on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

VagasVike, Don’t get me wrong. I am trying to say they kept all the Centers. We don’t have back ups in some positions on the Offensive line. But we do have 4, repeat 4 centers. Oh, and to go the other way to your question. Can a long snapper hand the ball to the QB between his legs. I’m just seeing a wasted position. The back up to the center should be the long snapper.

57. By e on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I had a dream they moved Winfield to safety… not sure why that made my dreams though…

58. By Mike Wobschall on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Why move Antoine to safety? He’s our best CB, so you’d weaken the CB spot and then have a guy playing safety for the first time in his life. Yikes. I actually think Cedric Griffin is more of a safety than Winfield.

59. By e on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I didnt say it was a good idea.. just that I dreamt it.

60. By VegasVike on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I hear ya Vikefan, we may see some more moves soon that will address that. Maybe the coaches feel one of these guys could be trade bait (instead of just a release) for a different need.

61. By Mike R. on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Glad to see local boy Fusco from “The Rock U.” made it. I see a lot of the other C that were highly rated from bigger schools are getting cut.

62. By Randy on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Wow 3 running backs?? pretty thin. sounds like way too many carries for AP

63. By Arnie Kuhn on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

he V’s are going to regret cutting King. He’s going to be a great RB somewhere.

64. By cheffrey on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

This roster looks pretty freaking good, We will surprise people with this talent, and I really think coach Frazier will have them fired up to play week in and week out

65. By jv3rnon on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

We should get Lance Briggs to play outside of EJ and Greenway. Erin is good but, Briggs is a pro bowler. Wish Pat come back also. My concerns is center,wr outside Harvin and Shiancoe, olb, corners besides Winfield and Griffin, and finally, the safety position

66. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

The Patriots cut safety Brandon Meriiweather, who has made the last 2 Pro Bowls.I would say that we could use him.

67. By Zeke on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I think that as we stand as a team right now, our 2 major concerns are safety (obviously) and getting Adrian resigned asap.

68. By Titus on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Wow, all day I had an eye on this blog– stepped out and now I see it’s lit up! Keep the fire going!

69. By Titus on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

What does everyone think of our offensive line? I give it a B.

70. By Zeke on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I agree Titus. I just hope that we can stay healthy for a change.

71. By TwoodsnVikes on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Merriweather and Briggs would be money, but neither will happen

72. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Titus, I would say that people talk behind your back.

73. By robb on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I really like the Vikes picks with Sherels,Aromashodu,and Awasom,amongst others,but sure did not want to see Arceneaux,Johnson,Cook,King,and White go.I think the Vikings will be a real contender,a dark horse,a surprise to most.They have a good mix of youth and experience.

74. By Titus on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Seems that way Nova- I was out on the bike on a short ride — it’s gotten chilly up here.

75. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Why does August last 2 weeks and February 87?

76. By Titus on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I don’t know, but I am thinking of going somewhere warm every couple weeks and throw out my fluid trainer for my bike– man, I hate riding inside. I have usually until around the third week in November, but after Sept, it’s not quite as fun–

77. By Mike R. on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

@ Everyone

who would you like to see on our P/S ?

You can give reasons or comments, if you want to…

78. By vikings4life on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Sad that Emmanuel Got cut although i think they see potential and did not play him alot in pre season so no one but them could really get a good look at him and he will make the practice squad. I think Greg C. shoiuldnt have made it and we should of kept a Iglasias, when he came out people said he was better then percy harvin with the same type of style. He obviously isnt anywhere near where percy is now but someone so young that has the tools with good coaching and good recievers to show him what it takes to be successful both him and Manny Arcenauex should have made it. I am not sold on Berrian being different this year

79. By vikings fan1955 on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

don’t count merriweather or briggs out some players will take a pay cut to make a run for a ring

80. By Titus on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I wonder if McNabb was consulted on the receivers.

81. By josh on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

WHY is Ponder in the 2nd spot…joe webb is so much better, no discussion, better arm, more accurate, better decision maker. this is a horrible decision!

82. By ben sherels on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

SO VERY PROUD OF YOU SON, THANKS COACH FOR SEEING HIS TALENT.. LOVE YOU SON

83. By vikings fan1955 on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I will bet he was talked with about them and asked who he’s comfortable with and such, and trust me he had some influence because he’s a vet and has great insight into what he wants and needs in a frciever. I will bet BB is there because of Mc Nabb and what he showed in preseason.

84. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Sherels was a very smart decision.

85. By VikesfaninN.O. on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Glad Aromashadou made it…I hope we get Meriweather and Briggs also that would be ideal!!

86. By David on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I don’t understand keeping Tyrell Johnson….great athelete just not a good football player

87. By Titus on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Exactly my thoughts vikings 1955– I just wanted to see if anyone else saw it too. McNabb seems to like BB.

88. By Devin on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Devin made the roster…good move vikes. Bernard is going to have a great year…..just wait and see…..GO PURPLE!!!!!!!

Ponder the number two?????

Sherels seem to be working out and we will be looking at what is out there to pick up. Vikes might make one more suprise move on some one as well. Wait and see.

My wife says football is a mans soap opera. hahahahaha.

89. By Erik the Red on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I like how everyone has already given up on BB before the regular season has even started. Just give him a chance, put some faith in him, see what happens. You never know with a new QB in the starting position how his use and ability will come into play.

90. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Devin, try duct-taping her mouth……….just kidding!

91. By maurice on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

i would like to see them pic up shaper or merriweather and the d will be solid, and maybe be avery from the rams cause he is goin to have a chip on his shoulder, put him on kick reture detail and let him work his way back up! but all and all they need to get shaper or merriweather! please make that move then we ready!

92. By jv3rnon on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Meriwether Briggs jump on them quick we need it. Man Vikes will be tough on defense. Atleast one of them would be nice. Frazier don’t have to much confidence in Erin,Tyrell, and Sanford. We got to be agressive

93. By maurice on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

and i knew to vike nation because im a die hard mcnabb fan been riding with his sence 98 im from cleveland but once the browns passed on him i stuck with him, so im happy to get to route for the vikings i wanted this last year but farve messed that up cause mcnabb would have had fun with rice and he prolly would have stayed now he on the worse team! so go NaBB and go Vike nation!

94. By maurice on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

i would like briggs to and they are concerned about are depth at linebacker but i bet briggs dont leave, but i could see him in purple along with sharper!

95. By Titus on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I believe BB will have a break-out year. By the way, everyone calm down about Ponder and Webb– Mike W already stated he did not list players in any particular order because he does not know the depth chart yet. But he should have stated that in the article and not in the blog. Easy mistake for the readers to make.

96. By Titus on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

But I will not say anything about the writing…

97. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

……..Or lack of such…..

98. By Thomas A. on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I am really hoping that we pick up Meriweather that would be a great addition for our secondary!! I think that move would really strengthen our defense!

99. By Titus on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Yeah!

100. By jpw101 on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

they should sign brandon meriweather of waivers from new england

101. By Remember Met Stadium on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Chester Taylor was waived by the Bears.

Merriweather was waived by Pats.

Nuff said.

Look for some of them younger receivers making the practice squad.

102. By mikebrown on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

seriously!!! we are keeping tyrell butterfingers johnson, this guy has never caught a ball that has been thown literally in his face…ever, never ever, and he consistantly gets beat on the deep ball, I just cant see why we have him

103. By Titus on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Bring on the dirty birds.

104. By Tim on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Just say no to Meriweather. I wonder why we think we can play with so few linebackers? And, where is our fullback? Why do we think we are going to be a running team with no fullback? I hope the team knows something everyone else doesnt know.

105. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Titus….we play the Chargers next…..

106. By Titus on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Nova, I just had a flashback to the 98 season– I feel good about this year– NFC championship baby!

107. By Mike R. on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I see a lot of decent S, LB, and RB being cut.

108. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Certain medications can help you with those flashbacks, Titus.

109. By vikings fan1955 on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

eric the red I have said many times I have said the same thing and when he proves himself I will rub it in to the none believers Go BB make them believers

110. By Titus on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Going to eat something now, maybe the flashbacks will subside.

111. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Have a good one, buddy.

112. By jv3rnon on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Man they should go ahead and wrap Peterson up so he want walk. If Vikes let him go I give up on the Vikings. They already let go of Moss twice so he go i’m going because, you just don’t let your star leave. You don’t see Pats let go of Brady or Colts of Manning. Peterson should be the number 1 thing to do.

113. By Arrow86 on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

@Aaron:

I can’t imagine how proud you are of your brother making the team. I wish him the success Dallas Clark has had. Especially the part about a Super Bowl Ring!!!! BAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

114. By Arrow86 on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

@ Fellow Vike fans:

What websites show the players cut by all 32 teams?

115. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Arrow, NFL.com has a great link.

116. By Arrow86 on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Awesome Nova!

Give Sonja a bone for the tip. I haven’t been near a t.v. or computer all day to see who has been cut throughout the league. Also, a friend of mine and his wife took a cruise to Halifax recently and found your city amazing!

117. By Arrow86 on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Merriweather and Chester Taylor would be quality acquisitions. I don’t know how we’d clear cap space, without letting a couple decent vets go though.

118. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

It’s on NFL.com’s front page…….” Official Cuts “…….right after “Bears release veteran RB Taylor………I’m glad your friends liked our great little city.

119. By Mark on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Now let’s get the stadium deal done in Ramsey County!

120. By Troy on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

A lot of people have stated that a big weakness for the 2011 Minnesota vikings is the safety position.I agree 100%.Tyrell Johnson is a second round bust to this point.The only player in the entire league who has worse hands than Tyrell Johnson is Carlos Rogers.Mr. Speilman i have 3 request. 1)Sign Brandon Merriweather.2)Resign Adrian Peterson ASAP. 3) Resign Chad Greenway

121. By Mike R. on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

It’s a shame a lot of drafted and UDFA had so little time to showcase their talents. WoW…even Evan Royster from my Alma mater was cut. :-(

122. By JP on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Ok… I like Joe Webb but I don’t LOVE Joe Webb. He seems, with his skill set, like a good quality #2 QB in the NFL. Ponder was drafted to be the next QB in Minny. Simple as that. With the loss of Rice maybe they should have moved Webb back to WR… we’ll see. SKOL Vikings!

123. By Titus on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Rice is to Favre as Berrian is to McNabb.

124. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Berrian is to McNabb as Costello was to Abbot.

125. By Titus on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Good one Nova. At least you agree there is a connection.

126. By e on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

So when can signing these guys start? Is there a date when moves can happen or just whenever teams want. The biggest roster question is how much cap room is there and is anyone available that would agree to squeeze in under it that will actually help the Vikes. Briggs wanted a new contract for more money so forget him unless he changes his tune. And I happen to think our starters @LB our pretty solid anyways. We have bigger holes to fill. We’re not the only team that would love to have Merriweather so that will push his price higher.. maybe too high unless we start loppin off veteran players which normally isnt too good for chemistry. It’s always nice to bring in a ringer but I actually like the team we have right now.

127. By mnsoldier on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I would have traded gerhardt for good draft picks, he just does not fit the game plan and will get minimum reps. cut Kliensauser, and kept king a fullback.

128. By Titus on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Gerhardt is very good. No way would I let him go.

129. By krobinson43 on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Awesome to see Marcus Sherels make the team! Great preseason and can’t wait to see him to continue to prove he is a NFL player.

130. By Mike B. on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Dugan and Farwell make sense too much salary to Keep for backup/special team role. Little suprised about Cook as they need good OL. NO fullbacks is cool Kleinsasser has played fullback if needed. That kid from Slippery Rock better got a talking too. He can’t make dumb penalties in a regular game. That was uncool. No suprises at CB as I figured Asher Allen was going to make the tema. Nice that Sherels made he worked hard. Hopefully one of those Talent WRs makes it to the practice squad. I am sure King will get picked up somewhere. He looked good in that last game. Probably too good to be held over to practice squad day. Good core of solid players overall. It’s worth a look to see how the Devensive secondary does against the Chargers. Take care all

131. By Mike B. on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

@mnsoldier Kliensasser is like a legacy player. He’s still playing at a high level they aren’t going to cut him. Plus he can play fullback.

132. By maurice on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

ok this what needs to happen sign meriweather hes still young and is a great player im sure hes goin to play with a chip on his shoulder and is goin to have a great season in the right system! and maybe pick up another receiver like avery from the rams and this team will be better than last year and contenders next season! Go NaBB

133. By Titus on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Maurice- that is pretty cool — Go NaBB– is that a blend of McNabb and Berrian, our new dynamic duo?

134. By Mike R. on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I really hope they made right choices on roster. I do not want to see replay of last year (let alone when Les Steckel was in charge). :-)

135. By Lucas on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Meriweather absolutely needs to be pursued now. PLEASE. We need a safety so bad it’s insane

136. By shayne on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

need a real fullback…where is Fahu Tahi??A.P. is going to miss him !!!

137. By Mike R. on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Type in Brandon Meriweather. According to the Boston Globe, the Pats gave him the boot instead of trading him or getting compensatory picks or…whatever. They talk about the Pats coming up short on draft picks but when Belicheck drafts,trades or cuts…its usually good for the Pats.

138. By Titus on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Yeah, and the Pats insider said Merriweather has issues on and off the field that need to be answered– I doubt Frazier will bring him into our locker room. Team and chemistry are more important than any star.

139. By Mike R. on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

@Titus

I see we are on the same page….?

140. By keith on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Ponder is the number 2 QB only to feed his ego. Web is a much better passer but because he will be in a wildcat formation he will see way more playing time then ponder. This is just stroking Pander’s ego. If McNab goes down I have a hard time believing Ponder would go in.

141. By Dryes on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

GOOD ROSTER! We have potential to win the Superbowl. Good work, coaches and lets stay positive and determined and win this thing!!!!

142. By Nick on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Well I guess its the last chance saloon for Tyrell Johnson now. Interesting to see the Pats cut Brandon Merriweather! Good to see the draftees retained along with Sherels and Awasom. Little disappointed that Ross Homan got cut, reckon he could have have been a good contributor given time.

143. By Mike R. on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

@Nick

Give Homan some time. We need LB. Probably put on Practice Squad. So little time this preseason for new guys to learn so much…

144. By Shawn on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Merriweather cut from the Patriots … cut tyrell and grab Merriweather ASAP, the guy is a pro bowler something tyrell couldnt dream of

didnt he drop another INT … that hit him right in the hands? YES HE DID !!!

145. By Shawn on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Cant believe we cut 3 young recievers and kept to old guys that have done next to nothing

and berrian is to mcnabb like peanut butter is to salsa ….

berrian is a joke , hope im wrong but after 7 seasons you pretty much know what a guy can do and his best year was 40 catches and 900 yards … and his second best isnt even close to that

146. By Billy on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

It makes me wonder a little if New England lets a pro bowler go in Meriweather there most be a good reason. He must be a cancer in the locker room or something. As for the Viks what a great job of keeping young players with a great upside and letting non starters go. They are doing a great job of drafting and evaluating talent and keeping the team competitive with a nice mixture of proven veterans and young players without hitting rock bottom to rebuild like many teams. Last year was a bad year for many reasons and not because of the lack of overall talent.
    We have a good chance to be verygood this year as well as the years ahead.

147. By Michael Donnelly on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

There is a guy by the name of Chester Taylor that does not have a team now. hmmm….I wonder. Also, I agree with a couple people above that it would be cool to see Brandon Meriweather picked up by us and we finally cut Johnson. He has had plenty of chances on this team. I was a little surprised that we cut Jaymar Johnson as I really thought he was a nice young WR. We obviously need to get one veteran OL and Linebacker also.

148. By jay on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

sounds like a winning combination

149. By vikefan1969 on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

No surprise Fusco and Love made it…glad to see Olsen’s play landed him a spot, LB is very thin thou so I can see them grabbing a guy, Cooper? maybe he looks good as a Guard? Dline is heavy and the Safety is weak. Am thinking when KWill returns (foot also) we lose Evans maybe? The next few days will be interesting to watch what moves are made.

150. By OLD SCHOOL on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Should bring Chester Taylor back …….he is a great third down option!

151. By wo1fman2003 on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

go get meriweather and darius raynaud. we need safety help and raynaud is a awesome, he can return kicks and hes a great receiver. he s like another harvin

152. By Jason on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Best of luck to Dugan! Good dude.

153. By Marc Noel on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Cannot believe that the team cut young players such as Emmanuel Arceneaux and Ross Homan with all the upside potential that they have and kept Asher Allen and Tyrell Johnson on the roster.

154. By tom on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

I sure hope that Donovan doesn’t get hurt or it is gonna be a long season my friends! The other two just don’t have enough experience, but I like both of them. I sure would like to see more consistency and focus on both sides of the ball this year.

155. By david on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

any way we try to bring in brandon meriweather?
    we’re weak at safety as is and he’s been a pro bowler the last 2 years

156. By Stoney on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Keith, Ponders ego? I missed that.

157. By SKOL:D:D:D on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

I wish we had kept Caleb King. Liked him better than booker.

158. By drew on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

I’m shocked that we got rid of quite a few veteran. But this is Leislie team and I hope he shine!

159. By shredmonkey on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

I keep waiting for the announcement that they traded Barrien… Why don’t the coaches see what all the fans seem to see?

160. By Purplekoolaid on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Super excited to see Sherels on the roster.

161. By Mike on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Chester Taylor back on the market, was a good pass receiving back for the Vikings

162. By NDVike on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Would highly doubt the Vikes pick up Merriweather. Bellichek cuts good players for chemistry reasons. Just a guess here, but I think arrogant, pompous and football player does not mix in the Pats system.

I am trusting in Frazier that he knows what he is doing. Let’s give this team a chance. It’s loaded with great talent.

Kleinsasser will be AP’s lead blocker/fullback/tight end as he always has. Why would anyone think he should be cut?? He plays two positions brilliantly.

163. By likejoeybrowner on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Berrian looked like he was ready to fight this year….hope he keeps that attitude all year….Greg Camarillo has the most heart…besides harvin…..when he sticks his nose in their and gets those tough 1st downs praise him!

164. By bleedpurple11 on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

vikes will pay for letting jj go,we all know BB got sugar pumping thru dem veins,and once again this year the vinking fans will see that u need a beast at wr to help my guy AP……………….. ITS BEEN REAL

165. By Titus on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

BRING CHESTER HOME NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

166. By Titus on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Chester Taylor was our single biggest loss from 09 to 10 (plus an injured Favre).

167. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Great, the Bears signed Meriweather. Guess Lovie didn’t think he was a head case.

168. By vikelifer on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Aaron I’m a huge Hawkeye fan and Viking fan so I’m really excited to see Allen made the team. And am very happy the Vikings are finally starting to realize the talent level of the Hawkeyes. I’m sure Allen will be a great pro he had an impressive pre-season.Go Vikings and Go Hawkeyes.

169. By CA Norwegian on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

I hate cuts. Cookie and Da’Gear seemed hard to swallow. FBs are gone :(

Ponder showed plenty of pocket savvy to elude the pass rush. I’d llike to see both Webh and Ponder badk there and throwing laterals away from the pass rush to one another, giving more time for receivers to get open or scrambling lanes to open. Ball control is helping the D, We can win with this strategy.

D will win some games for us, if we can give them long bench breaks.

170. By Irish Sting on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Can we still put Caleb King on the practice squad? I have not read all the posts. SO I don’t now if this already been asked. That kid has some talent.

171. By moorevikes on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Nova, just read that myself. How many years are we going to hear that this is a pa-ssing league and then watch our DB’s get lit up?

172. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Moorevikes, I only hope that the reason we didn’t go after him was financial…..but then again I think of Berrian and shake my head.

173. By moorevikes on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Despite all the pessimism towards our DB’s and the question marks on our O-line I just checked to see what games are being televised in Wyoming next week and it appears I can stay home with the kids and watch the game. Super frackin excited about this team and can’t wait until Sunday. Vike fans in Minni unite and tell your State Gov. to get the deal done on the stadium. If they move to L.A. I will not cheer for a Cali team. I just can’t do it. If they move anywhere else, maybe.

174. By moorevikes on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

I know right, Nova. To be honest I am starting to maybe think all the critisism (sp. I know Titus, so help me g-od if you correct me),anyway, hopefully it is motivating the cr-ap out of him.

175. By Big Sky on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

It will be interesting to see what the Bears ended up paying for Meriweather’s 1 year contract. We sure could have used him to shore up our d-backfield.

I wonder what the trade price for Lance Briggs would be from Chicago- a first and a second or third rounder? If the Vikings could snag him we would have the best Linebacker core in the NFL- if not the best in the last two decades. Think about it- Greenway, Henderson, and Briggs. Sends shivers up my spine.

I wouldn’t mine seeing Chester Taylor back in purple, but we are looking good at RB and have much bigger needs.

176. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

We usually get 6 or 7 games each Sunday here. This week the Vikes aren’t one of them. Oh well, that’s why G0d invented Sunday Ticket!

177. By moorevikes on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Things seem to be a little more pleasant this year among the bloggers. I think we’ve come to accept each other, good and bad. I like it. Yall that hate Old School need to cut him some slack as well. I used to like reading his rants. They usually prevented me from going on one myself. Don’t mind my rambling, just bored as h-ell right now.

178. By moorevikes on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

That’s what I’m talkin about Nova. We even had a non-smoking sports bar in town that I could take the youngens to. Before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, of course there was no drinkin.

179. By Big Sky on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

I wish they had Sunday Ticket available on Dish Network- Oh Well. Probably won’t be able to see every game this year in Montana from home. After doing so well in 2009 they showed every game they played last year. Guess I’ll be going to a sports bar a few weekends this fall!

180. By moorevikes on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

7 days and roughly 3 hours. Gotta go. Late.

181. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

I always like “correcting’ Packer fans when they come here. Not a huge challenge though, kind of like tying your shoes.

182. By vikingrob22 on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Hey AARON-Reisner’s brother-…Why wasn’t your brother with OL in practice to tune up…Reisner better up his blocking skills to rightly replace Jeff Dugan…tough shoes to fill…

183. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Big Sky, a LOT of people I know go to wwwslipstreamtv and swear by it.

184. By moorevikes on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Hey Big Sky think of who’s coaching those LB’s as well.

185. By Big Sky on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

@ Nova- Thanks for the info. I will check into that.

@ Moore. I know, Singletary will help our LBs a bunch even if they don’t pick up Briggs. We do need at least one more LB- having only 5 is pushing it even if they all stay healthy.

186. By Troy on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

I am a long time viking fan who tries to stay positive.In my opinion the weakest part of the vikings this year is pass defence.They are going to stuggle on 3rd down .I have a question?Why are the vikings only 370,000 under the salary cap.They have the least amount of cap space in the entire NFL.Why, who are we paying the big bucks to other than Jared Allen and Berrian(way over paid) Question 2. Why is Adrian Peterson And Chad Greenway without new contracts.You take care of your own players when their play earns it. If you dont resign your high draft picks to a second contract then that is an unsuccessful draft pick (See Sydney Rice) in my book.

187. By Remember Met Stadium on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Well we get to see how good Merriweather is or isnt 2 times this year and every year thereafter. Bears got him.

188. By Craig on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

How does Fred Evans manage to hang on each year.
    Great to see Sherels made it.

189. By gubber on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

I like a lot of the Viking personnel, but they have one huge glaring and fatal weakness. To be blunt, their secondary “stinks”. This tean has absolutely no ballhawks who can change the momentum of a game. Without a hugely improved secondary this team has absolutely no chance to be successful. Puts far to much pressure on the offence to score consistently huge numbers and you don’t win a Super Bowl that way. Vikings might want to look into finding themselves a true General Manager and let Rick Spielman concentrate on wearing just one hat instead of two. Jim Popp of the CFL’s Montreal Alouettes would be a terrifc choice. This gentleman has created a virtual dynasty in Montreal, and has a great talent for finding the right pieces to win championships.

190. By Big Sky on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

I totaly agree with you Troy. I would think that getting long turn contracts for Peterson and Greenway is key and would help some with cap space this year some- I don’t know. Getting rid of M. Williams and Mckinney should have freed up some cap room, but they did sign Mcnabb.

I just don’t see how we could be so tight on cap room when the “so called” experts think the vikes will only be fighting for third best in our division this year. Where has all the money gone?

I personally believe the Vikings will be a strong contender this year.

191. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Gubber, it’s a little easier to win championships in a league that only has 8 teams, and teams routinely make the playoffs with 10 or 11 losses.

192. By Titus on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Vikes will be fine. One week!

193. By Titus on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

I cringed when the Bears signed Peppers– now deja vu.

194. By Titus on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

But we will be alright.

195. By gubber on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

To NovaScotiaVike.
    You are absolutely, it is easier to win in an eleven team league. But after 50 years and counting of never winning a championship I’d be willing to bet that Popp wouldn’t take anwhere near that long to put together a champion. You would think that after 50 years you could stunble over a championship at least once.

196. By Friendly Fred on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Re: Chester Taylor. I agree with the notion that when we lost Chester, we lost the only guy who can pick up an extra pass rusher on 3rd down. Adrian nor Toby could not take care of this job.

197. By Rocksalt on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Released/waived HEATH FARWELL?????? WTH?? He has been our best special teams tackler……..

198. By Rocksalt on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Camawho?

199. By Rocksalt on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

who the heck is LB Larry Dean????

200. By Rocksalt on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

we cut LBs Heath Farwell, Ross Homan, and David Herron……..I assume we cut the 1st 2 cuz they were injured?

201. By animal26 on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

How did Asher Allen make this team? He is not good at all and was outplayed, by the other corners. I wish I could see what the coaching staff see’s in him.

202. By Vikefan on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

We absolutely do not want Chester Taylor. Taylor is finished in the league, his productive years are way behind him. We’re fine at running back. Sanford will step up this year at Safety, and we picked up a linebacker earlier from the Texans.

203. By Pjack on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

@Keith :::: Maybe the Vikings should’ve drafted an ugly quarterback because apparently Keith has this perceived notion of an ego based on how Ponder looks. That’s huge stereo-type to place on someone, but often done by who aren’t the subject of that same stereotype.

204. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Gubber, the Cubs are over 100 years and counting…….

205. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

PJack…..you’re right!!! I hate broccoli and I’m not a green vegetable!

206. By Nick on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

The Bears have got Brandon Merriweather – dammit!

207. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Rocksalt……how are ya?

208. By bigskyeric on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

I’m sad they released Caleb King. That boy has some power. Best wishes to him where ever he ends up.

209. By thatissomeBS on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Four Iowa boys make the final roster. That’s great. Ferentz does a great job coaching his players. Iowa has been producing a lot of good NFL players. Not necessarily top caliber talents but players who do everything correctly.

I can’t be the only Hawkeye here. I was at the game yesterday in the pouring rain, and my voice is still gone.

210. By Titus on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Randy Moss will be in purple soon.

211. By Frederick Jones on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Marcus Sherels may very well be your #1 cover guy.

Will he get used in that capacity on a frequent basis?

212. By Titus on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Randy Moss coming home to finish career in style.

213. By Robot Fan on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

bee boo beep bop ….

Berrian will have great season … berrian was wide open every play …. favre ignored him … berrian big year … always open … no drops …. bernard berrian

bee boo beep bop ….

214. By Titus on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Berrian is to McNabb as Rice is to Favre

215. By Be Sane and Serious on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

And that’s a fact!

216. By Shawn on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

LOL Titus … I hope your right

217. By Soup on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

I’m going to give Coach the benefit of the doubt and not pass judgement just yet on the 53. There might be a strategy in place to pick up key players on waivers. I know it’s a pipe-dream, but I would welcome Chester Taylor back. I know it’ll never happen but…

218. By Soup on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

I Could see Merriweather as a Viking, but do you think the front office will reach out to him? I’m still a bit shocked by a few of the waived. I’m trying to keep the faith and hope to see positive results from these moves. Both youth and experience have their own attributes.

219. By VegasVike on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

This is a test post to see if my iPad is doing its job… Pay no mind please

220. By Brad Childress' Mustache on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Is it too early to project our draft needs for next year? I like OT, then DT (nose) early, then WR, CB, S, LB, WR again. Hopefully, if the compensation shakes out, we can get an OT, DT (nose) and WR within the first two rounds. Also, we’ll need a comb for me as I’m a very scruffy mustache.

221. By Brad Childress' Mustache on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Wait, we also need a speed running back which I think we can get on the second day. Also, if you could throw in some tweezers and a beard brush, I’d appreciate it.

222. By knight123 on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Reisner has been cut to make room for the new LB, I bet they hope he makes it
    through waivers so they can sign him to the practice squad. I also think they will
    sign Caleb King to the squad, he was recomended by one of the coaches and
    I could see why. Parks has a chance to make the squad also he had some moves
    but he needs more time, thats one thing that hurt all the rookies. As I saw it, our
    second and third teams outplayed our apponents during the preseason, and
    our team looked leaner and meaner, I’m thinking the coaching had everthing to do with that.

223. By luckey on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

The vikings needs lb’s bad there is no way they can it all season without getting dinged up.

224. By Mike R. on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

What position do we need to pick up? S, CB, LB or O-line?

225. By Parody on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

The only thing that irritates me about the final 53 are the selections for the 4th and 5th WRs. Both Camarillo and Aromashodu appear to have great hands, but seem lacking in their ability to get open deep or gain yards after the catch. With our strength at TE, I think that our short route players are pretty well set, so I would have preferred to see someone like Jaymar Johnson or Manny Arceneaux make the team to help with the verticle routes.

I understand that Berrian and Jenkins are the men for that job, but if Berrian doesn’t rebound this year, as many of us are afraid will happen, then who will we have to step into his place? We need to at least show defenses once or twice per game that we have the players who can make the verticle plays so that they’ll back off a little and allow the runs and short påsses to wear them out.

226. By Mike R. on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

@Parody

Yes I agree. WR to stretch the secondary. But it seems weird that the Vikings seem to like players from the state of Iowa but seems they like WRs from South Carolina (Williamson,Rice). I thought they would have their eye on Tori Gurley. But Packers kept him on PS. Oh well, at least we can draft Alshon Jeffery next year.

227. By Wes on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

We should have cut Toby and kept King. Toby hasn’t proven anything anymore and he isn’t at Stanford anymore. Also, we need a big tim W/R besides Percy. Wouldn’t hurt to cut Cook either.

228. By Brian M. on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

I have to say that timing was not good for possiably picking up Chester Taylor and dropping gearhert .the taylor/peterson team did good things yrs ago switching them up on downs, gearheat has not showed me much as a hard core RB….WISH HE WAS HERE TO POUND THE BALL WITH AP!

229. By Jordan on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

D’Imeperio did nothing but impress me for the last two preseason’s. I hope he makes practice squad or makes another team and humiliates the vikings because he has great potential. Farwell was surprising but I don’t mind the cut.

230. By billbobagons on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Here are the proditions of the experts and 2 off them have the Vikings going to the superbowl

II think Cook will be a stud this year!!!!

Two Express-News sports staffers brave enough to publish their Super Bowl predictions last September picked the Green Bay Packers to make the Super Bowl – Andrew Festa and Chuck Blount – and Festa had the Packers winning it all.

Blount blew his excellent NFC prediction by going with the Cincinnati Bengals (homer pick) to win it all. The author of this piece had Cincy going all the way, too. I have no such excuse, and no one is making that mistake this time around.

With the NFL season kicking off Thursday, the quest to reach Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis is on.

TOM ORSBORN – SAINTS OVER PATRIOTS:Saints upgraded their running game and defense in the draft, plus Drew Brees is too good not to win at least two Super Bowls in his career.

CHUCK BLOUNT – PACKERS OVER STEELERS:Historically, teams that follow a Super Bowl championship come out flat the next season after player departures and assistant coaches are promoted to head coaches. The lockout froze the Packers

ANDREW FESTA – PATRIOTS OVER VIKINGS:Donovan McNabb proves he’s still got it, on a team too talented to go 6-10 again. But he’s denied again by Bill Belichick’s Pats.

STEPHEN FONTENOT – SAINTS OVER JETS:With elite rookie QBs laboring on poor teams, Mark Ingram looks like the favorite for top offensive rookie honors.

HEATH HAMILTON – STEELERS OVER FALCONS:Since 2000, the Super Bowl runner-up has made the playoffs the next season only four times.

BURT HENRY – SAINTS OVER PATRIOTS:New England might steamroll to Indy, but with the Saints’ new-found running game, the first Sunday night in February will be all New Orleans.

BLAKE HURTIK – PACKERS 24, RAVENS 21:Green Bay has the best QB around and the right weapons around him. Baltimore’s ‘D’ is as solid as ever while Joe Flacco finally figures it out.

DAN MCCARNEY – PATRIOTS OVER PACKERS:Because Vegas says so? No, I just think Tom Brady as he’s more commonly known, has one more Super Bowl in him.

JAY NANDA – RAVENS 34, FALCONS 20:B-b-b-bird is the word in the NFL this year. Baltimore will shine and win another title 11 years after I covered their only other Super Bowl championship.

RICHARD OLIVER – EAGLES OVER PATRIOTS:Michael Vick’s journey to redemption, at least on the sports landscape

RICK TAYLOR – EAGLES OVER PATRIOTS:A rookie-infested offensive line will hold the Eagles back early.

TERRENCE THOMAS – JETS OVER VIKINGS:After falling short in the AFC title game the previous two seasons.

TRAVIS TINGLE – COLTS OVER EAGLES:With all the drama surrounding the health of Peyton Manning, he will milk that for all it’s worth and lead Indianapolis to another title.

BRENT ZWERNEMAN – TEXANS OVER COWBOYS:Typically folksy residents in Centerville draw lines in the dirt.

231. By Dale on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Two words….Brandon Merriweather

232. By Stoney on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

WES, get a clue

233. By Joe C on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

nice to see Sherels on the roster he has a nose for the ball he has proved that – I am hoping our secondary will improve – we get to see when Rivers spreads the field on them. I also agree the moves on the offensive line maybe AP will have a hole or two this season – also questions about no FB – thats kliensasser’s job remember they list him as a TE but he really is a FB

234. By viking boy on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

I think the Vikes are weaker across the board this year except maybe back up QB. Gonna miss Leber Farwell and Edwards, Pat Williams, did nothing about the horrible pass D., Peterson and Harvin can’t do it all themselves.

235. By Cesar on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

im excited for Sherels i think he will do good but we shouldve kept another reciever

236. By Ryan on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

They released jaymar johnnson why ?

237. By sandiamond on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

chester taylor is done. Chic has loaded off d@ weight on th roster. Vikings made the commitment that Booker is the new CT

238. By vikings fan1955 on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

king hasn’t went anywhere he is on the parctice squad

239. By Woodboat on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

I have faith that the coaching staff did their homework and feel they have the right 53 men on the roster to make this the best Vikings team they could. They obviously have an offensive plan in mind and feel the guys they kept will get the job done.

That being said, I think the coaches are pinning their hopes to guys that won’t be able to deliver. The O-Line will be facing much more intense and complex defensive pass rushes week 1 than they have during the preseason, and I have my doubts about their ability to handle it. Defensively, I doubt the coordinator switches up much from last year, and he doesn’t have the power up front that he had with the loss of Pat and Ray. Couple that with a lack of upgrade at DB, and I think we are gonna get cleat marks on our faces defensively.

Here’s hoping I’m completely wrong on my prediction of 6-10. If the defense struggles (which I believe it will), I hope they hand the reins over to Singletary as our DC.

240. By vikings fan1955 on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

manny is also on the practice squad

241. By siobhan crumley on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

very upset you guys got rid of heath farwell. he was a awesome player

242. By Viking Glen on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

MB, thanks for your comments on the depth chart order. Ponder will be a top QB based on hard work and a great intellect. But Webb looks like he was born to be a HOF QB. With the right coaching Webb will soon be right up there with Rogers and Vick as one of the elite QBs in the league.

243. By Viking Glen on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

I meant “MW”. Stupid spell checker…

244. By slader on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

im glad that cook was released. also that we kept tyrell johnson. hes 1 of r 1st rd picks and we can give him another chance cause he is young. also if heath farwell was realsed then the vikes probly found some better younger kids 2 fill in on special teams 4 him. jaymar johnson is a good punt and kick returner but i would rather have harvin booker or sherels back their so i can see why he was cut. im not a bb fan but the coaching staff thinks highly of him and thinks he can b productve. so im with them. mcnabb seems 2 like him 2. GO VIKES

245. By vikings fan1955 on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

I take nothing away from ponder and i mean nothing but believe me there will be a battle for the qb position when mc Nabb leaves and I think if all goes well ma Nabb will be here atleast 2 yrs and in that time ponder and webb will be 2 of the best qb combinations this team ever had and the job can go either way. Don’t downplay the time webb has been here and the onfield experience. We have two good choices and chances.

246. By Beth H on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Great to see Sherels in there!

247. By josh r on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

im gonna predict awasom will be a stud by the end of the season, looks as stong if not stonger than kevin williams and has the moves and speed of jared allen

248. By billbobagons on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

I got to hand to to Rick,Lesli and the boys on the job they have done. They have totally revamped the o line with young studs from round 6 and last years practice squad. This will be a great line for years to come. Went to the utube on Larry Dean and wow what a stud. Jack Lambert of the old Steelers like. Not very big but a noise for the ball and faster. Sherals, Raymond, Awsome, Love, Fusco. Ta what a great draft. I see 2 of the experts have us picked to go to the super bowl. Some of them remember we were a play away from the superbowl 2 years ago and have the best running back in the league. With Harvin Shanko, Rudolph and the new run blocking skeem the o should look great. The d still has Allen, Greenway, Winfield and a nice bunch of new young talented players.
    Great move letting Cook and Farwel and the othersl go because the never were going to be great starters and all the players the kept have that potential.
    When I watched the Utube on Larry Dean I was thinking about coach Frazer watching with the rap music they uses and thought wow did he think an NFL coach might see this. You might want to turn the volume off.
    Should be a very exciting year and if not this year in the playoff the have done the ground work for a great Team for many years.

249. By Phantompumpkin on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

Really? They released Farwell? I hope it’s a cap move…that guy is the anchor on our special teams.

250. By billbobagons on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

Sometime they have to release good special team players when they have a young talent with lots of potential to play on the O or D. I think the Viking will have a great mix of Vets and rookies or 1 and 2 year players. Again I think this year and the net few years we are going to be a really good team.

251. By Phantompumpkin on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

Possibly yes. However, good special teams help with field position. Trapping them deep or moving us out near the 30-40 instead of inside the 20 can move the momentum in our favor.

I’d liked to have kept him, but I understand his salary was also near the cap.

252. By Dcox4 on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

People may disagree. but i like lerenzo booker and i believe he is a solid back up. Here is were people may disagree. I think c King should be number 2 or 3 on the vikes roster. I believe he is a better nfl quality running back then gerhart. I like his running style but Peterson does everything good and can carry on short downs and goal line. Gerhart is pointless to be on the roster.

253. By future gadgets on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Great items from you, man. I’ve keep in mind your stuff prior to and you’re simply too great. I really like what you’ve obtained here, certainly like what you’re stating and the way by which you are saying it. You are making it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it sensible. I cant wait to learn much more from you. That is actually a wonderful website.

254. By скрутить спидометр on Jan 15, 2012 | Reply

Great post. I was checking constantly this blog and I’m inspired! Very useful info particularly the remaining section :) I care for such info much. I was seeking this certain information for a very lengthy time. Thank you and good luck.

2. Sep 3, 2011: 4 Hawks on Vikes final roster - HawkeyeNation Forum
  3. Sep 3, 2011: Sherels makes the 53, Ryan Cook, Chris DeGeare cut | The Navigator
  4. Sep 3, 2011: Sherels makes the 53, Ryan Cook, Heath Farwell, Jaymar Johnson among those cut | Westonka Informer
  5. Sep 3, 2011: Your 2011 Minnesota Vikings | The Viking Ship | Minnesota Vikings Blog
  6. Sep 4, 2011: A-Rob cut from Vikings - CycloneFanatic