Tough Days Of Decision-Making Ahead For Vikings

Posted by Mike Wobschall on September 2, 2011 – 9:35 am

The couple of days immediately following the preseason finale is always a tenuous time inside an NFL team’s facility. The Vikings are no exception this year. There were several areas of deep competition on the Vikings roster throughout training camp and the preseason, and now it’s decision-making time for Vikings coaches and scouts.

By 5:00 p.m. CT time on Saturday, NFL teams must reduce their active roster to 53 players. The Vikings currently have 80 players on the roster, which means 27 roster moves must be made in advance of the deadline for the Vikings to comply with the NFL’s roster requirements. That makes for some tough decisions, especially following Thursday night’s performance from many of the Vikings youngsters.

“Our guys really fed off the energy of the crowd and now, probably the real tough part of this job begins,” Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier said after Thursday night’s finale against the Houston Texans. “With such a great effort by so many tonight, it’s going to make it tough for our staff to finalize that 53-man roster, which is a good problem to have.”

A lot of Vikings players stood out last night, from DE Adrian Awasom tallying to 2.0 sacks, to Greg Camarillo playing well on special teams, to DE Stylez White flashing a couple times, to solid performances from backup RBs and offensive linemen. And what about LB Larry Dean, who has stood out all of preseason? Or FB Ryan D’Imperio, who continues to progress? Lots of players with solid potential, but not enough roster spots to keep them all.

I’m going to stop short of calling the Vikings roster situation an embarrassment of riches; that’s not the case. It’s just that there was good competition at a lot of spots on the roster and in many of those spots there wasn’t a lot of separation between the guys who should make the roster and the guys who just fell short.

“There were a number of positions coming into this game that we had questions about,” Frazier said. “We’ll sit down, and I was talking to Rick Spielman earlier about just that fact, we’re going to have some strong discussions tomorrow at certain positions and we’ve got to be able to make some good decisions and I realize that there may be some good football players that may not make our team, but there are some good football players that will.”

Tags: , , , , ,

146 Responses to “Tough Days Of Decision-Making Ahead For Vikings”

1. By Titus on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Let’s get this blog on fire!

2. By NYViking on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

So many great players who have played so well, especially last night. No turnovers, very few penalties, plays made all over the field. To the guys who will not be fortunate to make the team, they have no reason to hang their heads. Great job. Thanks for an exciting preseason.

3. By yomama on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Very impressed with the talent we have in our 2nd string. Tough decision is right! Coaching is really going to make this team this year. Way to go staff!

4. By Sharon & Marcella on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Good Luck Ross Homan Hope you arefeeling better and make the cut.

5. By Daniel on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Looking at the salery numbers I see alot of shocking payouts to non contributing guys. Probably the worst one is our Long snapper. Dig this-$775,000. FOR a long snapper! sad. booker will probably go, Dugan, Tyrell Johnson(1,155,000) . Camarillo (1,700,000) Berrian is still way too much- 3,900,000! We should have went for a high calaber guy for that kind of kersmodes. Yall may think I am crazy But I would try to trade winfield. His salery is 7,550,000. I think we could get either a good pick and free up a ton of space to sign peterson, and greenway. Henderson still needs signed, so does loadholt and harvin. I think the sassage may go down the road too. sassage or shank. These cuts are going to blow are minds. Lets hope they make the right choices to get a deal done for pete and g-way. What ever they do, I hope they do not try to trade peterson down the road. decisions need to be made. This next week will tell the story.

6. By viking fan 63 on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

brandon fusco shined hard last nite

7. By viking fan 63 on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

if he doesn’t make the active roster and they try to sign him to the practice squad i think another team will pick him up

8. By Zaimain21 on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

I been very impressed with Stylez White ever since we signed him. I would be shocked if he doesn’t make the team. With that being said, I wonder who’s going to suffer because of it. I think the 2 players in the most danger are Fred Evans and the very impressive Adrian Awasom. Whatever decisions that the Vikings make I will support them in the fullest. SKOL VIKINGS!!!

9. By Titus on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Let’s take a vote. Webb or Ponder for number two. I

10. By Zaimain21 on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Ponder

11. By purplehorn on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

I’m thinking Dugan has to go so Rudolph moves up. I would keep Johnson, Aromashodu, and Iglesias as wide receivers. Sherels should stay. Dean should stay. Awasom should stay. I came up with twenty cuts. Seven guys that people are going to scratch their heads and say- no, why this guy?

12. By ironvike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

ponder!

13. By Mike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Receivers who shouldmake 53 man roster- Percy harvin, Michael jenkins, berrian only because the coach won’t cut him, Aromashodu, Igelesis or Jaymar.. Tight ends- Shank and Kyle.. Running back- AP, booker, King, cut toby.. Corner back- Winfield , Griffin, Cook, Sherels, Burton.. Safties- Abdullah, Sanford, Reymond, Hill, cut tyrell.. Linebackers- EJ, Greenway, Erin, Onotula, Dean, Brinkley, maybe Homen cut farwell..

14. By Mike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Joe Webb hands down Mcnabb is the perfect person to teach him I personally don’t get why we reached for a QB in the draft when we had so many other positions to fill

15. By Stoney on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

MIKE, Toby is not getting cut, nor should he

16. By Derik on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

@ MIke, I agree with the WRs and CBs that you have making it. I don’t think there is a chance they’ll cut Toby or Tyrell though.

17. By Derik on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Oh and Ponder for the 2nd string QB.

18. By Gary on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

I’m a Viking fan who was born and raised in Minnesota and now live in Washington. I really like Ponder as #2 behind Donovan. He reminds me of another old time QB for the Vikings when Fran Tarkenton was playing. Same movement and the ability to read defense and run when he has to.
    Overall the team looks strong. I just hope they can hold it all together all the way through the Super Bowl with a Title win.
    Go Vikings

19. By Robins on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Ponder is our future with his intelligence and athleticism. He will get us to the Super Bowl! He was great for his first start in the NFL. It was a fun game! I like Webb too but he will be the back up for Ponder eventually. Good luck to both of them. What a great way to end the preseason. Good luck next week! Just win! I hope McNabb does well this year. If not, at least we have two good quarterbacks that can replace him. Win Vikings. Please beat the Packers twice!

20. By NYViking on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Ponder.

21. By Allen on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

i believe both webb and ponder have great potential. i wouldnt be able to choose one over the other, but if i HAD to it’d probably be ponder, simply because thats who everyone else seems to favor

22. By Hothouse on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Ponder played well. He’s got my vote. He did seem to have difficulty throwing to his left, something I think the coaches picked up on as well. Ponder does seem to have the ability to avoid a hard rush and come out smelling like a rose. Webb looked good but still has a problem finding an open receiver. He will be very good in the Webcat. Great season ahead!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. By Rye on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Ponder #2

24. By Skol_Vikes89 on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Webb #2. He looked so much better in the pocket than Ponder last night

25. By jeff on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

to all my fellow viking fans, we need a championship, Just Win Baby

26. By Troutdaddy on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Wow, Ponder or Webb??? I am going to say Ponder as I think he is a more heads up QB, but if it comes down to who can scramble I would say Webb has it but it almost seems as if he looks to scramble more than he should. Overall I think Ponder is the one. I am very happy that we have Webb though as he is a VERY good player and having both of these guys for us to draw on is a huge win for the Vikes. Guys that stand out who shouldn’t be cut- Iglesias, Booker and Jenkins. Very inpressed with these youngsters. Can’t wait to see them more this year.

27. By Nick on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Ponder for no.2 although it’s a close run thing.

28. By Titus on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Ponder or Webb is really a tough one. I put it up for a vote because I honestly could make a case for either one. But what we all must remember is Webb has had a huge advantage over Ponder– a full year already in the NFL, with at least two games started (yeah, Chicago, Favre started, but for a few minutes before the concussion) against premier first string defenses. So, does Webb look way ahead of Ponder as one might expect from additional experience?

29. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Ponder gets the Eastern Canada vote.

30. By zack on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

BRANDON BURTON NEEDS TO STAY

31. By Titus on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

I saw a pic of Cutler today– he wears number 6. That is scary.

32. By VegasVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Ponder should get the spot as #2, only if McNabb goes down. With that being said I think they need to work Webb in to the Offense in wildcat and some trick plays and either use him or as a decoy. It’ll keep the opposing team’s head spinning. In all Webb could see more playing time as #3. it’s time for the Vikes to get creative again like the Billick years!

33. By CP7FTW on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

I hope Mistral Raymond stays. He is more than a project. He has a cool name too!

34. By Frank on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Webb for #2. At this point in time Webb is more likely to move the team and score points. If Mcnabb gets hurt in SD there is no doubt in my mind that Webb is the one to put in.

35. By charles in fl. on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

I think Wedd,should be no.2 he beat the Eagles last year. I have seen Ponder at Florida State and all I can say is go Wedd.

36. By Titus on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Our defense beat the Eagles last year.

37. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Who is “Wedd”????????

38. By VegasVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Wedd over Ponber? I dunno…

39. By linda on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

ponder like webb but ponder is future and reads plays better.

40. By Titus on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Nova, I held myself back. I am getting better.

41. By Carl K on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Titus-
    Ponder and Webb were in the same boat 1 months ago. Both had to learn a new system… and both got the play book at the same time. Yes, Webb had a 2 game NFL starting advantage over Ponder, but Ponder played in a big time college program that ran a similar system.

My vote for #2 QB- Ponder.
    Ponder’s QB rating is higher than Webb’s. Ponder also proved he can move and avoid pressure in the pocket. I really like our QB situation and I think the Vikings would be ok if any of our 3 guys were called to start. I also think if Webb was number #3 we would get to see more of the “Wild West Webb” package. Webb lead our team in preseason in rushing yards and completed 58.6 percent of his pass attempts. Did Webb do any thing to lose the #2 job? No. Do I want to see Webb play at QB/ WR wildcat? Yes!

42. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

I understand, Titus. It’s just that if you’re going to vote, you should at least know the candidate’s name.

43. By MNpurple on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Well Nova, he is from FL

44. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

GOOD ONE MNPURPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

45. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Good thing his name isn’t “Chad” Webb!

46. By Titus on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Carl K– I am suggesting that Ponder is playing equal or better than Webb, and without any experience in the NFL– so I think we agree. Where I do not agree with you is that both started in the same situation a month ago– no way. Experience at the higher level of the NFL (speed, size, complexity, etc) is experience in the NFL, regardless. In fact, Webb is now even more of a veteran by some reasons within your argument. Bottom line, I would pick Ponder.

47. By Mike R. on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Do you have to choose Ponder or Webb? Isn’t this the first year where you don’t have to name your 2nd or 3rd QB? I think it would be cool if the other team is expecting Ponder to come in and Webb runs onto the field. (or vice-versa)

48. By VegasVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Ponders lack of pocket presence last night seemed to be dictated by lack of protection seeing how he was playing with a 2nd-3rd string O line. His only choice was to scramble to complete plays. Once he gets behind a 1st string line I think we’ll see even more out of the guy. He’s got no where to go but up. If we use Webb for more than just his QB talent I think we’ll all be happy. I didn’t see the whole game last night so correct me if I’m wrong about Ponder’s performance.

49. By Carl K on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Yes, we agree to pick Ponder as #2. But I would not down play Ponders level of experience over Webb.

Ponder had more starts at FSU at the QB position than what Webb had at UAB. FSU is a big time college program that runs a pro style offense. Ponder was also the MVP of the senior bowl.

Yes, Webb has 2 NFL starts and has 1 year of experience of holding a clip board in the NFL. Wth that said, I will argue that the Vikings selected Ponder #12 over all because of his “experience” and “knowledge” of being able to handle a pro style offense. Do I think Webb has a big advantage over Ponder. NO!

Am I a big fan of Webb? You bet!

50. By Titus on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Even with Webb’s advantage of playing in the NFL for several games (yes, it is an advantage), Ponder plays at an equal or better level. So, Ponder for president.

51. By vikefan1969 on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

On the QB…Ponder so he can work with the 2nd team O and continue to learn the Vikings playbook. Webb to #3 running the scout team. As for cuts I think you keep the best players, some of these guys played well against other 2nd and 3rd string as well as camp bodies…but you need to think about how they perform and learn in practice and study as well as the film room. Sherels and Raymond imo should be kept. And agree think Fred and maybe even Cam get cut. Farwell might be a fence guy but with LB injuries I am thinking he stays..Frampton maybe to keep Raymond…but he like Farwell is a very good ST’s guy…no doubt the cuts will be tough.

52. By campfrazier on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

i dont see my post but if it does come up, I didn’t include the obvious!!!!

53. By VegasVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Sounds like a plan, it’s nice to have the luxury of 3 top notch QB’s. T-Jack is out of the mix! We should start a pool as to what week TJ gets benched….

54. By Erik on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Gotta go Webb over Ponder. Ponder is going to be good for us, but give him time. Webb has proven he can lead this offense against first string defenses and that he can face Philly, who were playing to win a better playoff spot at the time, go in there make the plays and Win

55. By Carl K on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Titus – Yes, Webb’s 2 starts in the NFL is an avdantage over Ponders zero starts. You are correct!

BTW, I am sorry for picking on you a few days ago.

My point is Ponder had the advantage over Webb coming into the NFL. So I think it is all pretty equal. Just my opinion.

56. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

VegasVike, I’m going to watch the Raider-Seahawk game tonight. If Seattle’s backup looks good, I’ll say week 3 for TJ.

57. By VegasVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Ahhh Nova I wanted week 3! But I didn’t want to be the first to vote on my own proposal. So it’s either 2 or 4 for me, I’ll go 2!

58. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

I’d say our odds are good, Vegas!

59. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

I’ll put up a feed of lobster if you’ll put up a Vegas showgirl!

60. By purplehorn on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Webb should be the #2. Let Ponder get comfortable in an NFL pocket. Ponder will get killed in regular season running like that. Webb is further along than Ponder. No shame to give him more time. We have two good future starters. Don’t rush them.

61. By Titus on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Ah, I understand now Carl– makes sense. Oh, and as for getting jumped on, sometimes I ask for it. But my critique of this site is no different than critiquing the players- the organization should be excellent from top to bottom.

I checked out the Chargers’ site today to see any news on our opener. They are very strict in their blogs– most of the posts on vikings.com would not fly, not at all. Any name-calling or rude comments are not tolerated. And they also say that on game day chats, people from the other team are not welcomed.

62. By VegasVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

That’s a deal!! It’s hard to get good Maine Lobster here

63. By Titus on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Chargers have a long list of rules for their forums. I might say it goes a bit far, but I posted on the Patriots’ site last year– they also are strict.

64. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

It’s harder to get Vegas showgirls here.

65. By Titus on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

What was Seattle thinking? Who is in charge over there now? Holmgren would never have brought in TJ. I don’t think. I would have to know more before I make a guess– who made the decision and who is the backup to TJ? I would give it five games.

66. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

I think they hired an ex-Wendy’s manager.

67. By Titus on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Nova, I am having salmon and brown rice– thinking of a burger will ruin my appetite to eat right. I love a good burger– Smashburger with loads of onion and cheese.

68. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

O.K. Titus, you are down for game 5. Vegas has gm. 2, I’ve got gm.3……..any other takers in the TJ “sweepstakes”?????

69. By VegasVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Where’s the beef?!?
    Showgirls are getting to be an endangered species too Nova, I can only think of one show left (Jubilee) that is solely dedicated to them. If you’ve lived here as long as I have you get to the point that you avoid all the glitz.

70. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Bonus points are awarded for a correct prediction of which CFL team picks him up.

71. By xvike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Did anyone see that dropped ball by tyrell johnson??? I don’t know why this dude is still on the team.. It doesn’t get much easier than that. The ball came right to him, he saw it, had his hands on it and he dropped it. WOW it doesn’t get any easier than that…. I don’t care if they invested a second round pick in him. He’s garbage. He was another fail pick by spielman. They need to let him go so someone else can get a shot and make an impact because he makes no impact at all on this team. He can’t even cover or make tackles either.

72. By VegasVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

I’m going back to my Minnesota roots, grilling brats tonight

73. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Just send me one if I win, Vegas. I’ll be solely dedicated to her…..for a while.

74. By Titus on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

I just looked at their schedule– game 5 is right before their Bye. And they are going to be 2-3 at best by then. They may wait till after the Bye when they go to Cleveland where they will probably lose. After Cleveland, TJ will be benched for sure with a 1-5 or 2-4 record.

75. By Titus on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Lots of stone ground mustard Vegas.

76. By VegasVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

I’ll take the Eskimos in the bonus round

77. By VegasVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Sorry Nova, they travel in pairs

78. By Titus on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Isn’t that an ice cream bar?

79. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

I prefer dijon on my showgirl, Titus.

80. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Vegas, DON”T be sorry.

81. By Mike R. on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

@Titus n NovaScotiaVike

I agree. Put me down for game 5. If they are going to make a move,the Seahawks will do it after the bye.

82. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Mike R, 5’s gone………4 or 6????????

83. By VegasVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Is T Jack starting tonight? If not we all lose!

84. By Titus on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

They play the Giants on game 5 right before their bye in New York— they will probably be obliterated.

85. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

He might play a series, but that’s about it for game 4 of pre-season. After all, they don’t want their “investment” hurt.

86. By VegasVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Poor T Jack man, all the guy is trying to do is better his career and here we are all betting on when he fails. We should be ashamed of ourselves. Mike R, what are you having for dinner tonight?

87. By Mike R. on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

@NovaScotiaVike

Darn! Ok I’ll take game 4. They have Whitehurst and Portis.

88. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

A “series” for TJ = 1 incompletion, 2 sacks and a punt.

89. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

ALL THE BEST SPOTS ARE GOING FAST!!!!!!!!!!! Week 1 is still open!!!

90. By VegasVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

I wonder if there is a stat for loss of yards per series

91. By Titus on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Vegas is right. Let’s guess when TJack makes MVP.

92. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

I don’t have that long to live.

93. By Mike R. on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

@VegasVike

Having lots of Pennsylvania cuisine. Chicken pot pie,fresh corn on the cob, and shoo fly pie for dessert.

94. By Titus on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Chicken pot pie from scratch?

95. By VegasVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Many Viking Punts??

96. By Mike R. on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

@Titus

Yes (well,the wife makes it)

97. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Good one Vegas….took me a second…..

98. By VegasVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

I went and saw that movie “The Help” the other night and it compelled me to make fried chicken. Boy was that a mistake, they say oil and water don’t mix?Apparently oil and age don’t mix either.

99. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Remember Vegas…….You’re only young once, but you can always be immature!

100. By VegasVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

I’ve got that market cornered Nova

101. By vikoholic on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Anybody heard any news about the cuts to the 53 man roster yet?

102. By Mike R. on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

I’m sure the decisions by the coaching staff of who to keep,who to cut, etc…. will make the Vikings a lot better than they were last year.

Although I hope they do keep Joey Browner, Matt Blair, Sammy White..

103. By Titus on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

I can now read the blog again– just had salmon with alfredo sauce, brown rice, and green beans.

104. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Looking forward to a HUGE striploin….Sonja’s upset…no bone.

105. By Alvin on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Joe Webb, offers more confidence and his teammates trust him. The Philadelphia game made a believer out of most Vikings fans. I’d love to see Ponder against that first team playoff bound Eagles defense (although as a Vikings fan I would hope he would do well.)

Keep in mind that although Webb played at a smaller school, Ponder never placed Florida State in the national title hunt either. Many players play at D-1 schools, but that does not mean they are going to be NFL stars…Also I can name a few great players from small schools, Walter Payton and Jerry Rice among them. So, please don’t doubt Webb because he is from a small school. And god where is this analysis coming from that Ponder is so much more intelligent than Webb?? People talk about scholarly athletes, especially QBs in the NFL, it has a lot to do with pretty darn good offensive lines, Brady, Manning, Brees, all have the fortune of playing behind great offensive lines..I argue that will enhance any QBs intelligence:-) Have you seen the Saints offensive line!!

I’m loving the discussion fellow fans!! Go Vikes

106. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Alvin, keep in mind that there’s still openings in the TJ “sweepstakes”!

107. By Frank on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Well said, Alvin.

108. By Navwar on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Ponder may be the Future, but if I had to vote for the Now, I say Webb, He has seen how fast the NFL is in realtime meaningful games, with guys coming at you to rip your head off and he did exceptionally well for a rookie. Not that Ponder won’t be able to do that or better one day,but in a season where our key player is in his last year of a contract I think that we don’t roll the dice on a rookie backup to have to carry all the burden of success if McNabb gets injuried. I say give to someone whos been there and knows the pressure.

GO VIKS!!!!!!!!!

109. By Bornagain1 on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Brains definately matter as an NFL QB. A large part of the game is understanding coverages and making split second decisions. I am not saying that Webb cannot make them. I AM saying that Brees, Manning and Brady all have the extra smarts, that’s why they are given more flexibility to change/call plays at the line. This being said, I don’t think it would be a bad idea to have Ponder listed as #3 this year. He still is learning the game!! Joe has a year ahead of him and more real game experience. I feel pretty confident that Ponder will be our QB of the future. Just a little more time……Vikes fan since 1970!

110. By Mark B on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Alvin,

While it is true Ponder never lead FL State into the national title hunt, can you name any players he had on offense with him that are currently in the NFL in even a backup roll? One person a team does not make, and Ponder had no help on that offense. I am a fan of Webb, but there were too many times this preseason (and in the couple games he played last season) where I think he pulled the ball down and ran too early, had he kept his eye downfield there were open receivers.
    The handful of guys that I would not risk releasing and hoping they are around to sign to the practice squad would be: Raymond, Sherels, Burton (both of them), King, Awasom and Arcenaux. The ones I would release without a thought: Dugan, Berrian (pipe dream I know), Kleinsasser (only if D’Imperio or Asiata are kept as a blocking FB), Asher Allen, Onatalu (sp?), Dean (didn’t flash much to me in a positive way – never seemed to make the big play, but got nailed with a couple penalties).

While I’m at it, put me down for game 7 on the TJack benching pool!

111. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Mark B, you’re in!!!!!

112. By Erik the Red on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

I say for the whole who should be #2 QB doesn’t really matter at this point. I want McNabb to do well, then after his time, we can see who earns the #1 spot. Either way, I am confident in both these young QB’s, and yes they still have more things they need to learn, I do believe one of these players will end up leading the Vikings in the future. But for now, let’s get to the playoffs, and maybe a Super Bowl appearance, if that’s possible =P

113. By Mike R. on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Whether it is roster or PS, one of my votes is for Ryan Hill.

114. By Jake S on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Ponder remind anyone else of Steve Young?

115. By Puckertrucker on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I’ve read the arguments over ponder & Webb. The way I see it relegate Mr. McNabb to number three, and platoon Ponder and Webb the first 3 or 4 weeks then you see whose the best over-all QB for the rest of the season. then flip for the starting job in the Super-Bowl.
    I’m out peace Guys.

P.S. TJack is relagated to the Bench after the first have in the openning game.

116. By Puckertrucker on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I’m out peace Guys.

P.S. TJack is relagated to the Bench after the first half in the openning game.

117. By billy on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

On T-Jac I put me down for 0. Are they nuts he has done nothing in preseason to show he should start. Charle looked so much better. If they thought he had “it” the Viks would not of let him walk.
    I hope with the Vikings coching staff they revolutionize the quarterback position with the talent of joe webb. Let Ponder start but line Webb up all over the field to pass or run or get a paass. This would be no downgrade for Ponder but take advantage of webbs great talent and make defenses really think and have diffaculty stopping us.
    With Ponder, Webb, Peterson, Harvin and Rudolph and add a great wideout reciever we could be unrel and scary !!1

118. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

OK Billy, you’re dowm for zero…..meaning he won’t last the first game…..HOPE YOUR”E RIGHT!!!!

119. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

*DOWN ????

120. By NDVike on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Laughing my arse off about T-Jac ‘sweepstakes’. Great blog! Put me down for second half of first game, beginning of fourth quarter, bonus for the quarter. C’mon lets make it a little more precise.

Ponder and Webb both need to learn how to be pocket passers. QB’s running more than passing in the NFL…risky venture. They are both potential Steve Young style winners in the NFL, but both need a LOT more playing time against first string defenses. Webb has the edge because he has proven last year that he can play with the big boys so he gets the edge, but Ponder is still unproven. I think the coaches and all of us love his poise, but he needs more time. What really stood out in pre-season are the lack of penalties, mistakes, interceptions and leadership with both.

121. By Utley on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Ponder is the clearly the future but Webb should be #2 this yr. More experience and scrambling ability. Neither one will do much if Donavan goes down and our O-line needs help so lets protect our future! Ponder clearly has the talent, maturity, and brains to be a leader and a star in this league. Very excited from what I saw in the preseason from this kid with the minimal experience he’s had. Viking fans should be excited!!!!

122. By Frank on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

@Utley I agree except for the “neither one will do much if Donavan goes down” part. I think there is good chance Webb could step up and do very well. I think there is a slightly lesser chance that Ponder could do that also.

123. By vikes339 on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Kleinsasser cut. thats the dumbest thing i have heard.

124. By Johnny on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I think we need to keep Sherels. I met this guy before he was a Vikings and hes got so much class off the field. And as a football player, all I’ve seen is progression. Yes hes looked out of place at times, but he’s made plays when it counts. I do think we should cut Farwell at LB though. We have too many better players infront of him. I also think we should cut Iglesias at WR. I don’t see him as a very good NFL wideout. Other than that I think we cut Tyrell Johnson. I’ve heard Frazier has a lot of faith in this guy, but come on. He’s been terrible.

125. By g man on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

What are u viking fans seeing in Webb.The man is never going to be a good QB just a good athlete.We all know that being a good athlete wont make u a good QB. Ponder on the other hand will be our future very smart and a good athlete,thats why they drafted him in first round ,not to sit behind Webb PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

126. By andrew on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Kluwe just tweeted that farwell got cut

127. By huki on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

come on guys.use your illusions.cut ponder:D

128. By RWF1984 on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Farwelll and Dugan got cut!

129. By RWF1984 on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Kleinsasser will not be cut IMO! He is too valuable to the team to cut. His blocking skills is very much needed to help the Vikings sorry o-line right now and he could be a great mentor for Rudolph! Another thing it looks like he has built chemistry with McNabb as well. You add all these factors and you will think like me that he is too valuable to cut!

130. By RWF1984 on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Why are we having a T-Jack discussion in this forum? He is gone and so should be talking about him as well. I could understand Sydney Rice, but T-Jack? Come on!

131. By BleedingPurpleinAlaska! on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Farwell is a special teams monster that we should keep!

132. By VegasVike on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

RWF, we were all bored yesterday RE: TJack….
    We also discussed what we were all having for dinner and Vegas Show Girls, there was more dinner discussions than show girl discussions, that concerns me. Are you just upset because all the good benching picks for TJ are gone???

133. By RWF1984 on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

@VegasVike – No I am not upset, just thought that we should have moved on from T-Jack at this point!

134. By VegasVike on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Haha, I think we all have, if you look at the first post from Titus on this page he requested everyone to “FIRE IT UP!” so we had to comply.

135. By RWF1984 on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Man, I am wondering on what they are going to do! Brandon Merriweather got cut and hoping the Vikings at least show some interest! They should try and get a DT also to fill in void of Kevin Williams not sold on the others to hold up for 2 games!

136. By Alvin on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Great points on both sides of the Ponder-Webb debate. I have been quite surprised about a few players being available on the waiver wire –Brandon Meriweather (s) Perrish Cox (CB) although both carry legal baggage, Meriweather may be worth a shot for the Vikings. Cox can survive his case but the PR damage would be a nightmare for any franchise at this point.CB Brandon Ghee (a former 3rd round pick) was also released by the Bengals may help our secondary. Have you all seen anything on the wire that can help us?

And oh, by the way, I forgot to include my Vikings’ fan credentials “A LOYAL FAN SINCE 1968..anyone remember Joe Kapp, Gene Washington, John Gilliam:-) Just thought I’d drop a few names for the younger gen of Vikings fans…

I’ve suffered through four super bowl losses…PLEASE LORD LET THIS BE THE YEAR:-)

137. By Titus on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Yeah, four superbowl losses and since those, we have suffered how many NFC championship losses? Five. That is a lot of suffering. Let’s let Frazier build it, and it will come.

138. By tom grammer on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Ponder as the backup, just because i want webb as a receiver-returner

139. By tom grammer on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I am right with you alvin, i have been a vikings fan since 1970 when i was 3 yrs. old, my dad was a lions fan(i grew up in Mich). Lets please get this stadium deal done, i need them to stay put and win 1 for me before im gone.

140. By vikingrob22 on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I would like Frazier and OL coach to keep brown olsen and fusco on the 53 man roster and sub them in as a unit on running situations…

141. By Derik on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Wow they cut Jaymar, Ingleisis, and Arc(sp) and kept Cam at WR. I would have preferred any of those three over him.

142. By Randy on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I agree with Mike who said yesterday that he personally didn’t know why we drafted a QB. Ponder is good. Don’t get me wrong. He’s a good QB. But everything I read says that it is a very tight race for the No 2 spot behind McNabb. In other words, Webb could easily have been the No 2 guy, and when it was the Vikings turn to pick in the first round, instead of picking Ponder, there were some very good offensive line men available. And I mean VERY GOOD offensive line men, which I still believe is going to be our weakness this year. (time will tell, but I think I’m right) Also, even though most people seem to be saying that Ponder does have a slight edge over Webb right now, I don’t see that. Even in the 28-0 win the other night, Webb had a better passing percentage and he was more consistent in the few chances he got to show who was best at moving the team down the field and scoring. They’re both good, but I think Webb has been better and should get the no 2 spot. And I really wish they would have drafted Offensive Line men. Its going to come back to haunt us this year.

143. By Shawn on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Now go get (S) B. Meriweather and get rid of (S) T. Johnson.

144. By Alvin on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Meriweather would be awesome….I know the Bears will never part with Lance Briggs, but just for a moment my heart skipped a beat when I read he wants out of Chicago…….Briggs, E.J Henderson and Greenway under Mike Singletary…WOW would that be sweet!

145. By PuRpLe 'n GoLd on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

I was at this game, what an acceptional performance!!! In my opinion i thinks it would be smart for us to hold on to Awasom and Camarrilo, both shined that evening and it was a pretty sight

146. By Wayne on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

GET MERRIWEATHER that the Pats just turned loose, if nobody else has yet. Pro Bowl last two years. Unreal.