NFL Statement Regarding Kevin Williams

Posted by Mike Wobschall on September 2, 2011 – 1:00 pm

Kevin Williams of the Minnesota Vikings has been suspended without pay for the team’s first two games of the 2011 regular season and fined an additional two games checks for violating the NFL policy on performance enhancing substances.

Williams’ suspension begins on Saturday, September 3. He will be eligible to return to the Vikings active roster on Monday, September 19 following the team’s September 18 game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Tags:

60 Responses to “NFL Statement Regarding Kevin Williams”

1. By MGR4FUN on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

finally gonna get this done and over … big man’s feet need the down time anyway … see ya in mid-sept kev

2. By NYViking on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Hogwash

3. By Titus on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Yeah, this may actually be good– only two games, could have been four (was the original thinking, right?). Now he can rest and be more healthy.

4. By Mike Wobschall on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

I agree with you guys.

5. By Bo Ring on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! please…can’t we have just 3 MORE seasons of appeals?????

6. By VegasVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Good timing on it all, thanks Rog

7. By Vikes fan in San Diego on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

I’m ok with that

8. By campfrazier on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Ok so curiosity question, does this mean he can’t prctice at all? Can he participate in film study, walk throughs, anything? or does he just have to stay away from Winter Park completely til sept. 19 ????

9. By vikefan1969 on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

He as well as the others should have never gotten suspended…this was total BS, the NFL knew this product had a banned substance in it, that was not on the label.

10. By Rogerthevikefan on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

So Guion or Ballard which one should start? Atleast it will give Kevin some time for his feet to get better.

11. By Rogerthevikefan on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Win, lose, or tie Viking fan till I Die.

12. By campfrazier on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

start Guion hands down!!!

13. By purplehorn on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Fred Evans will start in place of Kevin. At least that is how the depth chart reads.

14. By animal26 on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

this is a good thing, now he is forced to rest that foot of his and be a little more healthier

15. By animal26 on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Campfraizer: I believe that he can take part in practice, just cant be with the team for games, if I understand the rules right.

16. By Viking Joe on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

His foot needs to heal anyway, needs the down time.

17. By vikoholic on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Anybody heard anything about the cuts to the 53 man roster yet?

18. By Titus on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

The Bears had cuts listed on their website when I looked there earlier.

19. By Frederick Jones on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Yes, I think this will be a blessing in disguise for Kevin Williams.

Now they should cold/hot that thing until Sept. 18.

20. By Titus on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Fred Jones, I took a poll on who should be the second QB on another blog recently– slight majority for Ponder so far. What is your vote?

21. By Titus on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Nova took a poll when Tarvaris will be benched — I said after the week 5 loss they will have to the Giants, right before their bye. What do you think? First prize is a Vegas lobster with dijon mustard inside a chicken pot pie.

22. By cowboyup3 on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Ponder has good legs. Might come in handy in regular season.

23. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

Fred, cold is only good immediately after the injury.

24. By Mike B. on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

It makes no sense to have Webb as the no 2 QB. With all his skills he needs to get on the field more than wait for McNabb to get hurt. I think Webb hurts his chances in the long run in the NFL if he is kept on the bench as No2. He can play QB and WR has a great verticle leap. I think the Vikings make him No 3 and make Webb a slash player. This will be the best utilization for Webb and the team.

25. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

@Fred……and I know….I play a doctor on TV.

26. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

VegasVike actually started that poll, Titus.

27. By NovaScotiaVike on Sep 2, 2011 | Reply

You’re locked in at gm.5.

28. By CA Norwegian on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Get well soon Kevin. You and Pat were the best stocking stuffers ever.

29. By CA Norwegian on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I wonder if the light enalty will effect the roster choices.

30. By chad on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I think we should go out and get TO and Sharper and thats the bottom line. We would be stacked and why we let sharper go i guess i will never know what does everyone think?

31. By moorevikes on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

just read jaymar johnson and styles white among seven that were cut friday.

32. By moorevikes on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

star tribune/vikings/nfl news is the source; also cut, de david akinniyi, gaurd byron isom, cb devon torrence, safety ryan hill, rb triston davis

33. By moorevikes on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

@ chad with out a doubt sharper and owens were great players, but, TO just had surgery and he’s past his prime. i don’t really think sharper fit our def. system. why waist the roster spots?

34. By moorevikes on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

i haven’t been able to watch much pre-season this year so i don’t know if i’m correct in being a little surprised in the jaymar cut.

35. By moorevikes on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

game 2 sealltle fans will be calling for tjack’s head. heck they were wanting whitehurst in, in the pre-season. depends on how stubborn pete carroll is. i say game 3 we’ll see charlie whitehurst in there

36. By moorevikes on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

@ titus i like ponder in as #2

37. By Titus on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I agree Moorevikes, although we are fortunate at quarterback to have so much talent– this is the best depth we have had in a long time. And the graveyard QB we have this time actually is somewhat young next to most we’ve rescued.

How much is TJack making? People get mad at corporations, but at least some of those CEOs have talent in their field.

38. By Carl K on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

juaquin Iglesias, Stephen Burton, and Manny Arceneaux have all been cut along with Jaymar Johnson. so that means our WR group looks like this – Harvin, Berrian, Jenkins, Aromashudo, Camarello.

39. By Carl K on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Matt Asiata, Alexander Robinson, Ryan D,imperious also have been cut.

40. By VegasVike on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Don’t forget if most of us get our wishes we’ll have an additional half a WR in Webb

41. By Titus on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Arceneaux– I thought he was the man. He dropped a ball at a crucial point in one of the games, didn’t he? At Seattle? That’s all it takes. He is on the practice squad, however.

42. By moorevikes on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

no more dugan and farwell as well

43. By 40for60 on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I like what I saw from some of the young guys on coverage, and Klink’s love of Dugan befuddled me. Farwell may not be the best cover guy any more, so I’m ok with going with youth, and as someone else pointed out, he makes too much when we’re so close to the cap.
    Now if our coverage teams stink it up, I’ll send Farwell Two Million to come back.

44. By 40for60 on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

I will refrain from calling Webb a wide reciever, as will Frazier if he thinks he can be a quality QB. You don’t play russian roulette with a future starting QB.
    What’s next? Ponder on punt coverage because he’s fast?

45. By Titus on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Very insightful remark on Webb– 40for60.

46. By Titus on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

How does the Offensive line look to everyone?

47. By Titus on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Fred Jones???

48. By VegasVike on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

@40for60-
    I may of over stated my thoughts on Webb, what I was trying to express is the man has a lot of talent. Too much to sit on the bench labeled the number 3 QB. If he is worked in lined up in other positions other than QB I think he would add a totally new dimension to our offense. Wildcat, decoy wildcat, trick plays like we used to have in the Billick days, confuse the opposing teams D with unseen formats. And if possible PLEASE send me two million!

49. By 40for60 on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

VegasVike,
    I don’t even know if Webb can catch the ball, I mean we drafted a receiver(Troy scissorhands) and he never could catch the friggin ball. I agree about the wildcat formation with him in the game, he could definitely cause some migraines for the opposing defenses.
    Talking about athletic QB’s, remember Todd Bouman? He won a National slam dunk contest in high school, which still doesn’t put him Webb’ class.
    I’d rate Webb a step lower than Vick as a runner, but I think he’s already proven to be much smarter.
    That two million is in the bank, which one, I don’t know, LOL.

50. By 40for60 on Sep 3, 2011 | Reply

Titus,
    Thank you, much appreciated.
    As far as that offensive line, I’m hoping the jettisoning of Mount McKinnie will actually help. I hated that he had so much potential, but only did enough to get by.
    I have a feeling the O-line will have problems early just because of continuity, too many new pieces to have jelled yet.
    My worries for this year are:
    #1 Offensive line
    #2 Defensive secondary
    Without trying to stir the Viking faithful into a furry, I see a 5-11 season coming up. We’ve got some real playmakers, but our peripheral players aren’t up to snuff IMHO.

In case anyone is wondering, I’ve been a Viking fan since the 60′s and lived through the ’4′. I desperately want the Vikings to win a Super Bowl, and not in LA!!!!!
    Either I’m finally not falling for the hype, or I’ve been abused too long, not sure, LOL.

51. By VegasVike on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Todd Bouman is still in the NFL! At least he was last week, I think with Jax

52. By VegasVike on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Bouman was cut by Jax on Aug 29

53. By 40for60 on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

Bouman must be nearing the end of a rather pedestrian career, living as a backup to backups.
    I had some hope for him when he was with the Vikes.

54. By Tsax on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

I think this will help out Kevin but it is still wrong. They never posted this substance until it was brought up by the media. Also I guess it is who you are that can get 6 games suspended down to 4 by who you are, right BEN

55. By vegasvike on Sep 4, 2011 | Reply

@40for60,
    Don’t forget Webb was drafted as a WR..

56. By likejoeybrowner on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

@4060 I’ve been a Viking fan fo over thirty years and I’ve done well in my predictions….I believe that WE WILL RUN the ball well this year…we have the best blocking tight end in football…..and he’s paved the way for Robert Smith, Chester Tylor and AP…..this year with the zone blocking sheme Adrian will have more wholes to chose…and on the run…the experts are wrong every year…..the Bears will not win the division…cutting Olson was the worst mistake…If the Lions loose Stafford…like they do every year…they are done…..Greenbay is the only question….if we can put pressure on him like 2 years ago….13 sacks in two games…he can produce…their O-LINE is suspect….and if you win your division your in…were’nt we just back-to-back champions….5-10 LOL!!!

57. By likejoeybrowner on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Don’t get caught up in the grammatical errors….adhere to the point.

58. By likejoeybrowner on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Taylor, holes, choose, lose, can’t produce, were we not….ok

59. By likejoeybrowner on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

scheme…if I’ve missed anything…feel confident that I just woke up.

60. By likejoeybrowner on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply